Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome to the Edmunds forums! Sign-in process in our forums has changed. Click here to learn more.

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• teoteo Posts: 2,508
    Is officially gone as of December 12th, 2000 A.D.

The "Rocket" is no more...
  • First, we had our FIRST winter weather of the year last night. ! Whoohooo! Love the snow. Very little fell, then it melted, then it froze.. So I used my traction control for the first time since the day I bought the car, Jan. 15 2000. Has anyone else heard an odd noise when the traction control kicks in? It was sort of a groaning, moaning noise (sort of like Chester when he tries to get out of bed!) The trac/cont was only on for about 5 seconds, but that noise lasted the entire time. The car worked great, no slipping or sliding all over the road.. just a short burst of tire spin, then off I went.

too cool..

As for the SS teo... As much as I would LOVE To have one, I'm sure that's not the car for me. And for only one real reason. I would get IN SO MUCH TROUBLE with it. This 3.8 ltr v6 is perfect for me. Plenty of power... but not "too much" power. I tend to drive a little heavy on the gas anyway,,, I would be a speeding duck for tickets in an SS. Also, I imagine the jump in gas and insurance would put it out of my range. If that Charger is a no-go...I'll be back in a new Impala 3.8 in 2003.
    The sort of "Electric Motor" sound you heard when the Traction control kicked in is normal. I already have had a few instances where the Trac control activates and it is simply wonderful! What the system does, it detects slippeage on one or both wheels and the computer measures which wheel is spinning faster (Losing traction) and then it kicks in by applying fast brake pulses to the wheel or wheels that have suddenly lost traction with the surface. I believe the system works in concert with the ABS brakes as well. This is very similar to the "Limited Slip Differential" used in all terrain vehicles and Farm Tractors for years. The PCS or automatic stability system offered in the Olds Intrigue is a more sophisticated "twist" of the Traction Control/ABS safety systems.
  • tpkentpken Posts: 1,108
    As fondly as I remember that first set of wheels - a 65 Impala hardtop given to me by my aunt (her 40K mile maroon beauty) at HS graduation in 1973, I also have equally wonderful memories of my second car - a turqois blue 74 Olds Cutlass with white vinyl that I bought new the next year after the Impala embraced a bridge in a fierce Maine snowstorm.

Those Cutlasses were great cars. Mine had the Rocket 350 four Barrel that flew! Olds had great styling in the 69-72 series and the next edition, 73 - 77. I still yearn for a 72 Supreme convertible. Even the 80's Cutlass coupe style was classy and those with the T tops were great. I debated long and hard over an 86 Supreme coupe vs the Camry I eventually bought. MY MISTAKE!!

Farewell Olds. You left some great memories.

Ken
  • cabellocabello Posts: 101
    Last weekend I was driving from San Antonio, TX to Houston and it was raining a little on the way home. The traction control kicked in a few times driving around 60-70 miles per hour! Mostly over small undetected puddles. Kinda reminded me to slow down on wet roads. Real cool feature.
    I just order my air filter for $33.00. 15% holiday discount. Including shipping ...
    ordered.
  • mcdillmcdill Posts: 180
    ?????????????????????
    Yep, Olds has been given the ax for good. One good thing out of this mess will be that the 3.5L DOHC "Shortstar" V-6 engine will no longer be "Exclusive" to the Olds lineup. Now we should be able to see this engine in other GM intermediate sedans.
  • Will someone please elaborate other than saying that it is gone for good?
  • stnelstnel Posts: 338
    With all the talk about Impalas not overheating in hot weather, I feel much more confident about buying one. If I get caught in a bad traffic jam on the interstate and am between exits where it's likely to be awhile before getting off, I just turn off the AC. I used to turn on heater as well to get a fan going. Then I found out I should have been turning on the defroster. Or maybe I have it reversed. I later had a manual fan installed in the car so didn't have to turn heat on any more. Now that's hot, though, in 96-98 degree weather (with much higher heat index) in a traffic jam with no AC on and the heater on! When I buy a new car in May, I hopefully won't have this problem. I'll be glad to get rid of this car that I have. I went to a Chevy dealer Friday and when he saw I wasn't going to buy right away he more or less wrote me off. I saw a few colors though.
  • Actually, I jumped too soon... After I wrote that, I went to MSNBC's site and saw the news.

Thanks!!
  • 00impala00impala Posts: 474
    Where did you order the K&N Air Filter From? Email me the info if you want... I need one too!! LMK Don
  • I don't think we have any Chicagoians (sp????) on this board.. What's it like in Cinci?
  • Teo, thanks for the explanation. It sure worked great! I figured the sound I heard was right on. It doesn't bother me if it makes a noise, as long as it's working!
    Looks like we could get more snow later in the week. I'll get more chances to make use of it I'm sure!
    Just C-O-L-D!!!!!!!!! Just Rained all day yesterday and was Very WINDY..then the temp dropped into the high teens.. Supposed to SNOW about 10 am tommorow & all Day.....I think what is coming is the Snow Storm that is over Texas right now??! Don
    I ordered one from them...........$33.36 Shipped! Don
  • Don I ordered mine from Advance auto. It will be here in the morning, Same price. They had no idea what the number was and did not even have a listing for 2000 models. He told me to get him a number and he would get it next day and he is.
    Cobra
  • hunter39hunter39 Posts: 375
    news of the weather in Arizona... there is none!
    That's why I love it here, high was 65 today, that is a cold snap. Sorry for all your snow around the country folks.
  • The Monte Carlo does have a folding armrest with cupholders in the back seat.It also has the split folding rear seat like the Impala does.I do wish it had "breakaway" mirrors.
  • crosley4crosley4 Posts: 295
    I live outside the main Metro Phoenix area. If its 45 at night in town its 8-10 degrees colder at our house.

Let me take this time to warn those thinking of moving to AZ.

Traffic is massive, pollution is high, taxes are too. Wages are somewhat lower since many ppl move here for the weather.

License plates and insurance for cars is much higher than many states. I often read in the newspaper about recent arrivals asking why their former states $30.00 auto plates are now $330.00 in AZ.

just my 11 cent comment ((-;

I've got mud flaps ordered for our LS ....... seems Midway had to bring them in from outta state.
    How much is your sales tax where you live?, here in Mobile ,Al it is 9% on every dollar.thanks-----------mattmcdill
  • 330dollars? Try right at 500 bucks here in Mississippi,and the roads are some of the worst in the country!
    I am from mississippi , and they have the WORST ROADS I HAVE EVER SEEN, and the state capital , has the worst,bumpiest , broken up city streets i have ever seen .thanks----------mattmcdill
  • The plates for my 01 Impala LS were 500 dollars here in Colorado. In North Dakota where I grew up, they would have been less than 100 Dollars.
  • crosley4crosley4 Posts: 295
    Where near $500.00 too.

the $330.00 was only an example of what ppl complain about, not the actuall cost of new car plates here in AZ.

AZ still uses a percentage deal of per $100.00 value for plate costs. They claim to be lowering that percent amount.

Sales tax varies around here. In Maricopa County it's the highest in the sate since we are paying for so many things. Such as a new 340 millon dollar statium for a *loser football team* the AZ Cardinals.

There is so much construction every where the roads are either torn up or the road way is littered with crap from construction trucks.

Windsheilds don't last long here. Our LS got it's first replacement after we owned it for 2.5 months.

Some ppl claim property taxes are higher here too. That I do not know about since I am an Arizona native......actually born here.
  • tpkentpken Posts: 1,108
    where our state motto is "The way life should be" and every license plate says "Vacationland" (Ayuh!)

Our summers are AWESOME (both weeks!)

Those of us who live along the NH border do our shopping there with NO sales tax and pay the far lower Maine real estate taxes than neighboring NH or Mass. We do have excise tax on vehicle registrations and pay ME sales tax 5.5% on purchase of vehicles. I forget the income tax rate - but it is very reasonable and the calculation allows you much of the federal deductions and other offsets.

The winters are cold though! It will be April before it gets decent again.

Ken
  • caltcalt Posts: 2
    Yes, there are Chicagoans lurking on the board. I haven't contributed for quite a long time. Been really busy.

We got over a foot of snow on Monday. The Impala was flawless. I had no problems getting anywhere. The ABS and traction control really make getting around in snow easy. It was -5 last night. The heated seats were really great.

I have (had) the infamous cradle problem. I took it in to the dealer and they installed a shim kit. I think someone suggested that this wasn't a good solution but I figured I'd give it a try. So far, so good. Time will tell.