Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• Options
    jijcojijco Member Posts: 49
    Green/brown are not colors for myself, out of preference for my cars, but I don't attest that jade green with a tan/beige leather interior is very sharp looking. Especially for roadsters and "British" cars like the Jag, etc. But Even on a sharp practical and more affordable car such as the Impala LS. I really like it. Its just not for me. I always liked dark blue, or black, but now love the choice i have with the Galaxy Silver Metallic. Certain colors seem to attract/detract from different cars, but then, that's subjective, like thinking the Impala is a great car. NOT! It is a GREAT car! We are just blessed with the fredom of choice in colors and cloth/leather seats, options, etc. Now if only we could get a decent replacement for the "citrus doorstop" under the rear package shelf...

JACOB
  • Options
    chevyrulzchevyrulz Member Posts: 10
    First of all, I had my wheelwells and shims installed today...no difference in noise level,but front definitely feels better! I had my car in about two weeks ago for warped rotors, clunking noises in the front end,stereo not playing very well out the left side, and a howling noise in the rear(sounded like rear wheel bearings going out). The dealership turned the rotors,turned the stereo controls to the left side, greased the front end,(I still haven't found any trace of this being done),and told me my back tires were cupped & that I needed to take them back to Goofyear.I got my car back, drove about 2 miles,and liked to have had a rear-end collision from the brakes not working right! I took it back, and the serv. rep. told me the brakes had to get re-seated was all. I told him to drive down the street, turn around, then try to turn into the entrance from about 45m.p.h... he missed the turn! I told him not to give me any more b.s. lines or I would have an attorney give it a test drive. They took it back in the shop,and then tried to tell me that in those few miles I had re-warped the rotors! They turned another .001" off of them, then tried to tell me that it was fixed. I then asked to talk to the tech that worked on it, and asked him if he had cracked the bleed screws on the calipers open. He had, so I had them take it back into the shop and bleed the brake system.WOW! Brakes worked right after that. Last week I put 1200 miles on my car, averaged 32.9 m.p.g. by NOT using cruise control. Just left my foot in one place with the gas pedal.(Mcdill, you'll probably know my route-O.S. to Mobile on I-10, I-65 N to hwy.43,then on to Mac Intosh,Ala...The Olin chemical plant. As to the taillights, I've thought about running a jumper wire with a bulb attached, drilling a hole in the outer part, and "RTV'ing it in place.I haven't looked at it that closely yet, but it "irks" me, also, to have what I consider a wasted light area on my car.
  • Options
    krytonkryton Member Posts: 1
    Hello all,

I have not posted or viewed any of the comments on the Edmunds Impala threads for many many months now (50 lashes with a wet noodle). I have not had time to go back and read every post over the past many months, so please forgive me if I ask something that has been answered. I was wondering if there is a known "fix" to getting rid of the computer designated maximum speed. I own a 2000 Impala LS constructed in March of 2000. I have tested the 105 mph limit, and sure enough it is there. But 105 mph seemed to come way too easily. The tach had just shown a shift into a higher gear around 95 to 100 mph with an RPM of around 2200 at 100 mph. Certainly this baby can do much better than 105.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    mcdillmcdill Member Posts: 180
    Yes it can do much better , try .. 134 mph , that is what an ungoverened police impala ran , and it weighs a little more and has the 3.29 axle ratio , which means the 3.05 ratio in the civilian impala is more suitable for top speed , mayby 2 mph more , The only way to get the limiter off is to reprogram the computer , but I really cant tell you where or how you would go about doing it , except that you would need a computer reprogrammer .. DUH ! , with a computer reprogram , exaust , and slight induction tuning , you could have that thing up to or past 140 mph , what the old LT1 350 ,impala ss ran .
  • Options
    night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    I checked with JET and HyperTech and neither one has a tuning product for the Impala and neither one has any in the works. If you find one. by all means please share!
  • Options
    nutz4lsnutz4ls Member Posts: 15
    Has anyone had any experiences with the headlights dimming? There have been quite a few times already that I've been driving at dusk or later and for no apparent reason and with no apparent pattern, the lights would dim for a split second. The lights would not go out but the would dim just enough to notice. At first I thought perhaps it was my eyes but it has happened too many times.
    Another question, I risk showing that fact that I'm not the most experienced "car guy" but I ask anyway... when applying the brakes is there a slight pulsing on the pedal? I've heard there's a difference between cars with ABS brakes and those without. What's "normal" for the Impala LS as far as the feel of braking. I notice the pulse/studder when I'm doing slow stop and go, typically the stop light to stop light type driving where ya never break 30 or 35 mph before having to slow and stop yet again.

Has anyone seen a full catback system for the Impala LS yet? I've hit a few of the exhaust websites and it seems that a system could be pieced together but a whole "package deal" isn't offered.

thanks, in advance, for any info.

Chris
  • Options
    jeffreyw1jeffreyw1 Member Posts: 145
    Thanks for placing another post to the question of paint peeling that I had asked about. I gave my friend the information and he is going to see whether his 1996 Buck Regal will be reprinted at no cost. May all have a great day and enjoy the Impala ride!
  • Options
    cabellocabello Member Posts: 101
    Your "dashlights and stereo lights" dim at dusk because the "headlights" are turning from "daylight driving lights" to "brighter night lights". Hope i cornfused you some...
  • Options
    bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    I know the headlights on my Lumina sometimes dim when the air conditioner compressor kicks in. It's only for a split second, but it is sometimes noticeable. Still patiently (?) waiting for May and my new Impala LS!
    Brad
  • Options
    00impala00impala Member Posts: 474
    Today I did a little Spring Cleaning and removed a few pics on my web page and added a few current Pics of my New Stainless Steel Exhaust Tips on my LS Also got a call from the Dealer to let me know the Wheel Well Liners have arrived.Duraflex....I forgot to take a few pics of my Michelin Tires on the 5 Spoke Rims, I will add them shortly, they have really come around, I mentioned they were a bit noisy at first when Brand New, but now after a 1000 miles they seem to have settled in well and I really like them, Also in my garage I still have a Set of the Black Steel 16" rims with Bolt on Hubcaps, Eagle GA's with 14,000 miles and 20 lug nuts taking up some space. Anyone interested in them? Maybe I will run them across the Monte Carlo Guys? Some one may be wanting a set Mounted Balance and ready to go, I am leaving the 5 spokes and the Michelins on the car for good. Check out the New pics. httphttpommcommunity.webtv.netn4ford/00IMPALALS Thanks Don
  • Options
    I just added a few pics of My extra set of rims and tires on my web page Take a look Thanks http://community.webtv.net/dman4ford/00IMPALALS
  • Options
    night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    Borla has a cat-back exhaust for the Impala 3.8L engine. Both Borla and Jeg's are on the Accessories page of my site.

http://home.hawaii.rr.com/impala/

If you do decide to get it, let us know how it goes.

• Options
    alanwagenalanwagen Member Posts: 28
    I am think of getting a new Impala this summer. I already have a 2000 but I need another car and I cannot find a better value. Anyway, should I wait for the 2002 or go ahead and get the 2001?
    I have not heard what will be new for the 2002?
    Opinions?
    alanwagen@yahoo.com
  • Options
    mediumfrymediumfry Member Posts: 239
    It doesn't sound like the pulsation you're experiencing is due to the ABS. The ABS is only active when one or more wheels is spinning significantly slower than the others indicating probable sliding. The first pulse by the ABS makes a knocking type noise and you feel the pedal fall a little bit. Immediately after the initial pulse is a rapid pulsation as the system tries to maintain each wheel near the vehicle speed and with maximum braking. Technical explanation: At impending lock-up, you take full advantage of the frictional ability of the tire with the road. After a slide begins, the coefficient of friction between the tire and the road drops off dramatically, causing a loss in braking force. The ABS system tries to maintain each wheel's speed at impending lock-up but still rolling on the road, as this is the maximum possible braking force available. Woops, I just checked your profile and see you're a Mechanical Engineer as I am. I know you've studied this stuff. I think you know a lot more about your car than you realize.

Since it doesn't sound like any of your braking is hard enough to cause a skid, you likely have a slightly warped rotor. Uneven braking force as the wheel turns can feel like pulsation in the pedal due to the uneven deceleration.

As a side note, the "low tire pressure monitor" uses the speed sensors at each wheel (part of the ABS system) to decide if you have a low tire. There is not a pressure sensor on each tire. When you calibrate the system (which you can do through the radio, see owner's manual for instructions), the computer notes the rolling speed of each wheel when you're not braking. If the relative speed of one wheel increases while the others stay the same, it will flag a low tire. The reason is that a low tire has a smaller effective diameter and therefore must spin faster to keep up with the others. It doesn't spin enough faster to trigger the traction control.

Always willing to give my free thoughts (I'm kind of a typaholic). Double your money back if not satisfied...
  • Options
    chevyrulzchevyrulz Member Posts: 10
    Do you think that the Michelins got quieter as they got broke in, or do you think that you just got used to the noise? The Michelins are what I am wanting, also. Also, has anyone out there had their cars undercoated yet?
  • Options
    Good Question! I noticed that they were Quieter while on a recent trip to PA,(Different road surfaces) The roads I usually drive to work everyday here are attributing to the Noise I hear, a few of them are stretches of highway that have been Diamond Cut or have those ridges in them, The Michelins right off the bat felt like a more substantial tire, like there was more rubber between me and the road when I first got them, the 2000/2001 Impala does have a lack of sound insulation and that is a major problem,I don't think you can hold any tire entirely responsible for the noise that you hear if the car itself lacks insulation... the Michelins are fine... would buy them again. They really seem to have "Broken in" if you will,I like the look of them and they are supposed to last a good while, also I had my Impala under coated before delivery from the Dealer.... Rustproofing and Paint and interior protection, If I trade it back at the same dealership with in 5 years of the in service date I get my $249.00 back towards a new car. Thanks Don
  • Options
    tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Your wife is a lucky lady to drive that classy Jade Green LS! I hear you on the dirt issue - that green can become very dull looking when not sparkling clean. When it's shiny though - NICE! My '00 Bonneville is a dark green with a lot of metallic gold in it that shows up in the sunlight - also needs to be kept clean to look good.

On my way home to Maine from PA yesterday I saw numerous Impalas - they're everywhere now! Most were base sedans - some with ONSTAR. At one point I was the Bonnie filling in an Impala sandwich - black and dark blue - for several miles in Mass. Still no sightings of the bronzemist color although I saw the dark shade on both a Bonneville SE and an Aurora - very nice!

Have a great day all - we're getting soaked here in the Boston area - going to be road closings tonight for sure due to the flooding problems.

Ken
  • Options
    Cabello & bh0001,

thanks for the replies. It's not the switching of DRL to Lights at dusk because the dimming has happened in all levels of light from dusk to pitch dark. As far as the cycle of the heater or AC drawing power, I can see where that might cause it but I've also had it happen when nothing was on...no heat/ac/radio/power windows....nadda...just driving. Hopefully things will slow down a bit and I'll have time to get to the dealer and see if they have any idea...no likely but I'll give it a shot anyway.

Mediumfry:

So, it's not the ABS. About a month and a half ago I was in for a oil change and mentioned that there was a bit of a pulse and ansked if they would check the rotors but when they saw that I only had 15000 on the car at that point they said it would be a waste because it wouldn't happen that quick. Perhaps they just wanted to get me in and out, it was snowing heavy that day. Looks like I'll have to have the dealer check the electrical, the rotors and install the wheel well covers next time I can find a day to go.
    So, you're an M.E. too, what sorta work ya into?

Night Owl1:

Thanks for the info on the catback..only thing is, the package that I saw on the page looked to have 2 exhaust pipes running from one corner of the car. I'm really interested in find a manufacturer offered package that looks like the set up "00Impala" has on his but with either Borla or Flowmaster parts.

thanks again everyone

Chris
  • Options
    cabellocabello Member Posts: 101
    IF you look in the borla legend you see where it says dual....dual exit tips. I got from this that there is two exits on the right and two on the left, or four tip exits! this is why i havent bought them yet....waiting for clarification.
  • Options
    eng62ineeng62ine Member Posts: 5
    Just my two cents on the above:

I live in the Philly metro area, and the RDS works on a lot of stations. I kinda look at it as a novelty/free advertising for the radio stations. I've picked up info on all genres of music including country, rock, pop, alternative and jazz. Most of the time it says things that you'd hear on the radio anyway, i.e. 93.3 WMMR 'The home of Rock and Roll'. In rare instances it has actually displayed the title of the song and the artist. Neat feature to say the least, but we'll see how much I pay attention to it in the future. I don't know how much it costs radio stations to broadcast the info, or the tech behind it, but I'm sure if it costs too much it won't be around long.

Cat-back exhaust: WOW! I was interested in 'personalizing' my '01 GS Impala, but sheesh! $1000 for cat-back dual exhaust? Is it really worth it? How much improvement does it really provide? Any info on this?

• Options
    jons01jons01 Member Posts: 59
    I too spent a lot of time researching extended warranty companies before deciding on 1Source. The representative on the phone seemed reasonable and answered my questions directly and completely.

I also called around my area and asked the repair shops which I would most likely use and they said that they had no problems with the company.

www.autowarrantyreviews.org is an independant web site that evaluates extended warranty companies and posts both complaints and praise that people report. You may want to check it out.

1source is rated #2 in the top ten best companies.

I feel that we made a good choice based on available information. It is definitely a comforting feeling to know that I will not have to deal with major, expensive repairs (over the cost of the policy) for the next seven years or 84,000 miles.

Good luck with your car!
  • Options
    platourplatour Member Posts: 252
    Thanks for the referral to that web site. Much appreciated. I went for the seven-year package also as I cannot imagine that I would keep the car 10 years. The warranty is transferable (for $50.00) to a new owner if I opt out before the end of seven. That is for transfer to a private party only. If I trade in there is a pro-rated refund. If you think of it in the sense of amortization given the $999.00 price, the cost is $143/year. That is a bit misleading as GM takes the first three years but for the backside four years it is $250/year. Pretty reasonable insurance in my view.
  • Options
    Do you know where your old Impala went? Chrysler is in trouble on this one.....Not that GM would engage in such practices!

"By InBusiness Media Network staff

Seven car buyers have filed a class-action lawsuit against Chrysler for reselling faulty cars after fixing them once unsatisfied customers had returned them. The suit claims Chrysler, a division of DaimlerChrysler AG, resold about 41,000 defective vehicles over several years without informing customers of their history. Chrysler said it has rules for dealing with such sales, including stipulations that dealers disclose to customers what they are buying. All but three American states have rules that consumers be informed they are buying a vehicle repurchased under "lemon laws." The suit, filed in North Carolina, alleges the plaintiffs would not have bought the vehicles if they had been properly informed."
  • Options
    discgolferdiscgolfer Member Posts: 72
    Teo, some posts back you said that Chevy didnt offer Leather seats witout the heating option for 2000 models. Just FYI, I have a 2000 LS, with Leather (Prison Grey), without the heaters...

Also, a few months back, I wanted to get a CD changer installed that could be controlled from the indash radio. I have the AM/FM/CD/Tape RDS radio. BOTH of the first 2 places said "NO CAN DO", and the third place said, "CAN DO". I left my car there for 4 hours, when they called back to say "NO CAN DO". So if anyone thinks this is do-able, please let me know what changer/adapter will work... Thanks...
  • Options
    shaminoshamino Member Posts: 60
    What improvements would you guys like to see on the 2002 model of the Impala??
    Personally, I would want the following changes:

1) Make the tail lights on the trunk lid functional.

2) Better sound insulation for the car! The road noise that comes into the cabin is tolerable, but how much can a few extra pieces of sound insulation costs???

3) In dash cd changer (at least 3 discs)

4) They should cover the screws in the door handle area inside the car. exposed screws make the car feel cheap. Also, salt and other debris gets trapped there causing corrosion

5) power lumbar supports on both the driver and passenger side

6) More choices in Aluminium wheels

7) It would be neat to add a feature where you can cool the leather seats down with a press of a button

8) Dual exhaust for the impala. Chrome tips would make the car soo much better!

9) Better radio reception: Perhaps higher quality radio equipment?

10) 4 Wheel drive option and height adjustable shocks like the new Audi a6 station wagon.

11) The v8 engine from the corvette z06. I would defintely pay extra for this option!

Does anyone know whether the v8 impala concept car is for sale?? I would defintely look into buying that black beauty!!
  • Options
    sweetpollysweetpolly Member Posts: 99
    Add to your list a better rear window defroster
  • Options
    I got mine installed parts/labor and out the door for $395.00 That means that the Parts involved would only run about $175.00 +... it is a long pipe from the converter that connects to another that splits into two, then the 2 mufflers and the tips. The guy said it all bolts together on the floor and with the addition of a hangar strap for the left side muffler it is simple, NO WELDING or cutting involved,took 10 minutes to install And the parts are 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Factory original parts so they would have to be some sort of Stainless as touted in the Brochures that the Exhausts are Semi-Stainless and they do last a long time, and it carries the same 3/36 Warranty as the car. $1000.00 is way too much unless you want it to be High Grade Polished Stainless Steel and sound like a Silverado 5.3 V8 Truck. Don
  • Options
    duraflexduraflex Member Posts: 358
    Switch over to Impala Accessories and Modifications POSTS 28 & 32 by "aquaknot2000". He has a trunk-mounted CD changer and gives the details.

PS He's also the clever guy who decoded the trunk amp bypass from the cryptic GM spec sheet.
  • Options
    Yeah, I don't think it's the ABS. I have HEARD, however, that uneven torque-ing of the lugnuts can cause warping of rotors. No hard evidence but I always rotate my tires and torque the bolts myself. Curiously, after getting new tires at a tire store, I begin to have trouble with brake pulsating. Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not. The guys at the local shop use torque wrenches. I mean, they use a impact wrench, then confirm with torque wrench. Funny thing is, they never move the nut with the torque wrench. It clicks and they move on. That means the nut is over-torqued and may be uneven as well. I'd like to see them turn the impact wrench down below "Cro-magnon force" and actually get the right torque on the nuts. I suppose if they knew how to do that they wouldn't be working at a tire store. No offense to all you tire store workers out there....

Yes, I am a fellow ME. Bachelor's from Iowa State and Master's from Kettering University in Flint, MI. I have very ironically worked for a central Michigan chemical manufacturing company for 10+ years now. I hated Chemistry in school! I started out designing chemical manufacturing equipment (distillation columns, heat exchangers, pumps, piping, filters, etc...) from a mechanical integrity standpoint. I then moved to a group that studies how mixing chemicals together differently can affect how they react. More of a fluids and thermo thing. Now I work as a team leader helping scientists automate their laboratories, to get high quality information automatically from the experiments they do. I get to work with sensors and computers and stuff all day long. It's a blast.

Meanwhile at home I tinker with cars, doing most of my own work (plan to get an OBD II scan tool and start working with the sensors, etc under the hood too) and try to be a decent husband and father.

Oh and I LOVE my '01 Impala LS.

What're you into?
  • Options
    1) Yes, make those back-up lights functional as tail and brake. Why back-up lights were mandated is beyond me. Some enterprising person will do this soon. I did it with my 1979 Corvette.
    2) I do not find road noise a problem but my last two cars were Saturns. They are noisy.
    4) A nice plastic cap would seal that off. We are talking a $1.00 item. Entrepreneurs out there? But more worrying to me is the armrest power window controls. Today was a mix of snow and rain and with the window down a wee bit. The moisture coming in was hitting the power window switches bang on. I do not have a solution but going back to my 1995 Saturn days, this was a major short/corrosion problem.
    6) Surely you do not want Al wheels in this salted country. The upkeep is horrendous.
    8) Watch your GM or extended warranty re mods!
    9) I am very satisfied with my radio/cd/cassette/8 sort of 4+ speakers. I do not know what the problem is.....
    11) Delicious. Would love It!

Someone mentioned the efficiency of the rear-window defroster. I have used it from -5F to 32F and it does a very fine job in minutes. Today was 28F and it cleared wet snow in five minutes. You may wish to check with your dealer on this.
  • Options
    I must agree.... I have the CD and tape radio as well , and I think it sounds great and has good reception . thanks------------mattmcdill
  • Options
    Shortly after I bought my LS I was getting rid of a few pieces of furniture, Among them was one of those 'O Sullevin Rack Stereo Shelves from the 80's. You know the kind that hold your stereo components and you set your speakers on each side and they have the glass front door, well when I was Breaking it down I noticed that there were 4 rods going from each side under the shelves, and on the outside there were 8 black plastic caps to cover the holes and blend in with the woodgrain, the black plastic caps fit over the screw heads in my Impala door armrests perferctly! If you have a Rack stereo system check the side of it for the black caps they fit perfect! The rest of the contraption and my Vintage 1985 Technics Rack Stereo System went in the dumpster, The plastic caps live on! : ) Don
  • Options
    My memory may be bad but I thought you were a stereo-dissatisfied person. Am I wrong?
  • Options
    Who'd a thunk that was gonna be the big recycle item on those old rack systems?! I think that's pretty hilarious. And clever.

Look, I kept this one short!
  • Options
    I don't ever recall putting the stereo down, I really do think it sounds great , especially with a cd or tape playing . thanks------------mattmcdill
  • Options
    lrcobralrcobra Member Posts: 82
    I too think the radio has a very good sound. I am only dissatisfied with one thing and that is the warranty. Why couldn't they have gone with a 75k or 100k warranty? A lot of the problems I have had have been minor ones. I have one now--has anyone else noticed a squeek in the steering wheel itself? We just started getting it the last few days on ours and it is driving us crazy. I have to get it fixed before heading to Cape Hatteras in a few weeks or noone will be able to sleep while I am driving.
    LRCobra
  • Options
    I might have to take a pic of one of my door panels and put it on my webpage for all to see, they would blend in better if they were grey, in a year and half I have only had one passenger ask what they were!

Another funny story from that time we moved to our new house out of our apartment was dealing with a Hand me down Broyhill 1979 Couch that I planned to hack to pieces and throw in the dumpster too but it had metal pieces in it so I decided to take it to the Goodwill place and the guy said they only accepted clean (it was) and non ripped couches (I tore some of the underside covering to see what I had to hack up)so while it was in the pickup truck on its side we had to pull in with the bottom side facing away from the dock and the guy standing there, (kinda like going thru a drive thru backwards)we gingerly put it on the loading dock right side up so he wouldn't see the tear in underside and we split! No Tax Deductible Contribution Recipt for me I was glad it was gone! Good Bye and Good Riddens! Maybe someone is enjoying a free couch right now! Or maybe they made $10.00 on it~ ! : ) Don
  • Options
    jijcojijco Member Posts: 49
    I think the Factory AM/FM/Cassette/CD deck is decent, with maybe a little shortcoming in the radio reception and sound in contrast to the CD sound. Do wish the sensors, monitor was a separate unit, though. However, the amp is a doorstop, sound much better without it. The speakers too, but not as bad as the amp. When I get the connectors, I will install my amp and get new speakers. I agree with duraflex that the front tweeters can sound harsh, and shld be mounted high on the doors.

00impala-Do you know if the Pontiac GP 2Dr. and 4Dr. use the same exhaust system? If so, the SLP stainless steel "Loud Mouth" system goes for $450.00(Approx.) with either their trademark split dual tips, or slant cut rolled stainless(like the '01 MC SS High Sport Package. I wonder if that MC exhaust system is from SLP, like the Camaro SS add-ons. JACOB
  • Options
    I'd have to say the 2 and 4 door exhausts are the same, Does Borla and the other companys make people specify 2 or 4 door when ordering? I have never seen them advertise them in any specfic bodystyle, the GT/GTP comes in 2 and 4 door and they just advertise exhausts for the '97 and up Grand Prix, Besides I think the chassis of the 2 styles are identical in dimension. How different the Impala is from the Grand Prix if any is anyones geuss? But my GP Exhaust fits perfect. Don
  • Options
    duraflexduraflex Member Posts: 358
    For those that have switched to dual exhausts, other than a "look" is there any technical advantage like a cooler running engine?
  • Options
    Well, it looks like I'm going to have to wait a bit before going for the dual exhaust. I've managed to convince myself and the bank that I need to buy a house.
    As far as the ME stuff, sounds like you're doing well. I'm basically a new guy yet, I've been working for the Navy as a civilian for just over 1.5 yrs. Don't really get a chance to do too many different types of things, for the most part it's structural design. The future's up in the air as far as where I really want to take my degree.

As far as the dual exhaust, I'm young and basically just interested in the look. If there are advantages to it great, if not it still looks great.

later
  • Options
    cookie01cookie01 Member Posts: 369
    In Jan 2003 when the lease is up I might buy this car (I love it so much) but if I don't this is what I'd like to see in my next Impala

1. Better stereo... all the way around. Better CD, better radio reception but KEEP the steering wheel mounted controls. I love that.

2. Better wheels. I switched mine out immediately. This car looks so good with decent wheels. If Chev offered more options I wouldn't have had to buy them from a tire store. Something with the Impala logo on them would be great.

3. Lose the rubber molding around the licence plate.

4. sunroof retracting into the roof instead of above it.

That's ALL I WOULD CHANGE!
  • Options
    It would be nice to see a body colored side molding rather than the present black one.

Gold or red bowtie availability with various color combos

Functional triple tail lights with a more understated lens assembly and smaller diameter lights (personally I would like to see a '63 retro look)

Smoother feeling and more refined looking interior door handle assembly (love the ones in my Bonneville)

Sapphire color option similar to Maxima Anniversary edition hue

A blue interior option for both cloth and leather

Better foot rest - present one is spongy feeling and not a flat sturdy piece.

Build this car and my Bonneville will be traded in at first opportunity!

Wishing a great day and super weekend to all you Impalaphiles and owners

Ken
  • Options
    tomaso7tomaso7 Member Posts: 91
    I know that there is a law governing the amount of candlelight power for headlights on vehicles. I could be wrong, but it seems possible that there is a law governing the taillight assembly. If another light was to be added to the present assembly it might be too bright. Then to make it legal less bright bulbs would have to used. I will try to check the laws in Canada, someone on the stateside could do the same.
  • Options
    teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Hi everyone! Spent most of the week at the hospital :-( Got very sick....But finally made it and glad to be back.

Here are some of the changes that I would like to see on upcoming new Impalas:

* Steering wheel shape: While it think the steering wheel is very comfortable and provides very good hand grip, there is something about the 2 spoke shape that doesn't thrill me that much. It looks a bit too utilitarian in my opinion. I would much prefer to get the Monte Carlo's steering wheel which is a 4-spoke design that looks sportier and suits the cabin a bit better. Grip feedback is also excellent.

* If someone at Chevy could tell us why does the Montecarlo SS models get FULL cluster instrumentation that includes the Voltmeter and Oil Pressure gauges while the Impala LS only gets the Tach, Water Temperature and Fuel gauges??? I really like the presentation of the Montecarlo's instrument cluster panel, including the steering wheel.

* Shape of inside door handles. Due to their big size I think they are extremely practical and easy to grasp but they do look a bit cheap also. Again, the Monte seems to have better looking interior door handles. I don't mind if GM makes 'em in solid plastic or chrome.

* Make the interior door panel armrests padded please!

* A better choice of plastics for the dashboard fascia and the center console assembly would be greatly appreciated on this $25K automobile. While I like the look of the current plastic materials, these also feel a bit flaky in the above referenced areas.

* GM, spend a few extra pennies and put some screws or extra clips to hold the black plastic panels located under the driver's and passenger's side dashboard. So far this is the chintziest fit/finish component that I have seen in this car....unacceptable! Only a single flimsy clip holds these panels in place...c'mmon!

* Make sure that before the car leaves the assembly line, the glue that holds the plastic pillar trim around the cloth headliner is properly applied in place.

* Agree with all comments regarding the radio....the head unit and steering wheel controls are great, but the system needs DELCO and not PANASONIC speakers and trunk mounted amps.

* Improve QC standards for some components namely Intermediate steering ahft and A/C compressors.

* Oh another one.....Due to the floor mounted gear shift selector leather boot, it is almost impossible to shift into 1st gear if one would ever need to! has anyone noticed this??? I don't think cars with steering column mounted gear shift selectors have this problem.

If I think of more, I'll post them later....
  • Options
    cookie01cookie01 Member Posts: 369
    What's wrong buddy? You okay? Hospital sounds REALLY bad. I hope you're fine now.

My allergies are kicking in right about now. Sucks. I can't hardly sleep. But these sunny days sure are nice. I've not had to wash the car for over a week. Not a drop to screw up the beautiful shine.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear of your hospitalization - hope you have a speedy and total recovery from whatever it was. You must have been pretty sick to be admitted - have to practically own the hospital these days to be allowed to stay there!

I wonder if you have your new car yet. Perhaps your illness has pushed that back a bit.

Good point on the lack of gauges - my base Bonneville SE has the full complement and the Impala LS should as well. One of my accounting cousins at GM must have won that particular debate.

Take care of yourself, Frank. Glad to see you back in form again

Ken
  • Options
    I had a very severe case of food poisoning and a stomach virus at the same time. It knocked me out for nearly 3 days. Suffice to say that I don't wish anything like that to my worst enemy!

You don't realize how much you have until the minute you lose or health or get ill. Sometimes experiences like this bring out a different take on life.

Be extremely careful outthere with the foods you eat in restaurants and the way you handle/prepare meals at home. Cook all meats well and be careful with expired dairy products. Also make sure fruits and vegetables are properly washed and cooked.

My doctors are not too sure as to where and when I caught this junk. I was on a business trip last week and I ate out for most of the time...who knows a Washington D.C. virus??? ;-)

I am doing great but I get tired a bit easily...I went thru a lot during the past few days...Endoscopy procedures, etc...

But I am doing great, I feel great and taking my Antibiotics for the next 6 days.

Enjoy life!
  • Options
    Yes, due to this event I was forced to push getting the new car for another week. Hopefully, I will finally close on the trade-buyback deal in a few days time.