Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Maintenance and Repair (2003 earlier)

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Terms of Use are violated from time to time and when a user refuses to abide by those terms, Edmunds may ban the user in an effort to maintain the community atmosphere that attracted most of us here in the first place.

The Hosts much prefer doing our housekeeping chores rather than attempting to ride herd on content in posts, but we do the best we can to keep things civil.

Since we don't hide messages anymore, please try to stay on topic in here and take your comments and suggestions about Town Hall policies to Talk to the Hosts Part Three. Thanks.

Steve_
    Host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • fischdafischda Member Posts: 272
    Again. So let's get back to exchanging information instead of quips at each other. No one answered my question about whether Sienna has EFI or MPFI - any takers? Also, are the stock spark plugs platinum tipped or not? Considering replacing them at 33K, but not sure. It's not in the 30K service interval, but regular plugs can usually be changed out after 30K.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    The book I have has the term EFI. I don't know if Toyota has just shortened it from multi port EFI or Sequential port EFI.

As to the plugs, they are either platinum or iridium. All of our V6 models have had platinum but two years ago, they began to introduce iridium. Check the maintenance book but I don't think you need to replace them until 60K miles.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    in other words, on the Toyota Sienna. I have removed the off-topic messages about Cblake since they are potentially disruptive to this discussion.

Drew
    Host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • whitenerwhitener Member Posts: 3
    Here is an update to the transmission scenario that I put forth last week. My wife has a 1999 Sienna and it has 38,000 miles on it. we were traveling back to Yuma from Phoenix and I heard an unfamiliar noise coming from the Van, when we got home I had forgotton all about it, but after a couple of days I drove the van again and heard the noise a second time, after a quick diagnostic test I was sure of the problem. At this point I jumped on Edmunds.com to see if anyone else had this problem, and they had, so as I read some of the comments I thought this would be just the scenario to get an unbias, upfront view of what does happen when a Toyota owner takes their vehicle to the dealer for a suspected problem.
    Well as I said in my previous comment everything went well at the dealership, the only thing that bothered me was the time frame in which they would be able to get another transmission and if the dealer was going to replace the torque converter. Well on the second day that the dealership had the van they called and said it might take a little longer than what was first thought to get the transmission, we understood and told them we would wait for their call. Well on the morning of the 16th the service manager called me at work and told me the transmission had arrived the evening before and my van was ready to go! "Unbelievable" We went to the dealership and I spoke to the service writer and the mechanic and they walked me through what they had replaced. The transmission was new not a remanufactured/rebuilt, the torque converter was also new and the oil. Our cost was "Zero" we returned our loaner Camry and drove off as happy as the day we bought it.
    Now this is a true case, you got all the information right here, if you don't believe me please feel free to call Mike Reno Service Manager at 1-520-344-1170 ext 402 and ask him yourself, give him this w/o number TOCS2148/8 customer number 35202.
    Now I feel like I have the right to say how I feel about Toyota and the Sienna van. For all people out there that don't like your Toyota or your Sienna van, that is exactly you right, but the precentages are against your kind, and all of us who have owned Toyotas that have had warranties completed on their vehicles, then have the right to pass judgement on Toyota and their dealerships. Granted your going to have dealerships treat people differently but this is my 9th Toyota and this is my first ever warranty, and if I fall into the extreme low precentage of people who have a toyota that has a problem in the first place and then to get this outstanding performance from a dealership says one of two things, either I blessed or Toyota products are worth taking my time to defend them. To anyone from Toyota who might ever read this, " I Thank You". and you didn't let me down Jim Whitener
  • grplavloffgrplavloff Member Posts: 138
    " And how many of those 3 "victims" alledging sludge were for real?"

We have as much reason to believe that these people are real as
    we have reason to believe that all of the ardent Toyota consumers
    here are just that and only that. Since I do not have any evidence
    for or against, I will take people on faith: I don't believe in denying
    the existence of someone just because I don't like what they say.

I hope that people with problems will continue to see their way clear
    to posting about them. I also hope that others will see their way
    clear to not try to intimidate and silence them.

Thank you !
  • grplavloffgrplavloff Member Posts: 138
    Very well said !
  • whitenerwhitener Member Posts: 3
    Just stop and think about this for one minute please, for all you people who are trying to "Rag" on Toyota. If the Toyota Sienna was perfect and the word got out, what do you think would happen to the price and availability of these already near perfect MiniVans. And one other thing, just cruise over to the other MiniVans and see what kind of problems they are having, especially the Ford MiniVans, and then you wonder why they are so cheap and readily available. How many people know how much money a "Failure Analysis Engineer" makes. Only the Big Three automakers in the U.S. have these and they are paid more than the president of the United states and the Vice president combined. Do you know what their jobs consist of? These people put together teams of engineers that can take a finished product, Lets say an Alternator, and unengineer it to fail at a certain time in it's available life, say, "right after Warranty" or when it's three years old to start the thought process in your mind that your vehicle is starting to nickel and dime you to death so what do you do Mr. or Mrs average American, thats right, trade it for a shiny new one. Do you have any Idea what the Big Three Imports do with that same money that is available, they give huge bonuses to engineers and their families who brainstorm ways (research and development)to make the same alternator last as long as possible. When I bought my last American made vehicle, I was as stubborn as I could be about "Buying American" but the truth just catches up with you and then you see that You have been a Ginny Pig all those years and then you try an import and thats all it takes. Maybe some of the people who are complaing out there are people who never had to lay down hard earned money for a Vega, Pinto, GM diesel car or truck in the seventies, "Boy, Talk about a reality Check". Jim Whitener
  • minpin1minpin1 Member Posts: 19
    Can someone explain what problems are developing in the power steering of the Sienna? I have read that others have had the inner tie rods replaced. I have also read that the entire power steering rack and pinion has been replaced.

What are the usual symptoms? I ask because my van has recently begun to whine when I turn the steering wheel. I also have the pulling problem that seems to be a common malady in these vehicles.

When the noises occur, what is happening mechanically? What should I watch for next? While driving the van be dangerous?

Thank you.
  • fromorlandoflfromorlandofl Member Posts: 1
    I was in the market for a new van. I was looking at the Toyota, the Honda, Mazda, Chevy, and Dodge models. After test driving a few, and reading consumer comments on different internet sites including this one, I narrowed it down to the Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey.

I selected the Sienna due to my previous experience with the Toyota product and the lack of availability of the Odyssey in the area at the time. I had read the problems on this site with the 2000 model (most major problems being torque converter and sludge), but due to my total satisfaction with the Toyota product (still driving my Toyota pickup with 150,000 miles with no problems), I decided to go with the Sienna. I purchased a 2001 model, and have had no problems. I have almost 6,000 miles on my van, and have taken it on 2 trips, approx. 1,000 miles and 1,400 miles each. It is comfortable, rides great, has great pickup, and my kids love it.

I'm sure the Odyssey would have been a good choice as well, but I have since rode in a co-worker's new Odyssey, and still think my Sienna is best!
  • smokeycharliesmokeycharlie Member Posts: 2
    My 98 Sienna ce also suffered the outside door handle on the pass. side sliding door being broken . However by my 6 yr old girl. luckily at 58000km, covered under warranty. But this is not the 1st time or the last time for repairs to that misfit of a door! At 20000km it needed repair because it would not catch and stay open when opened fully. Fixed under warranty. At 32000km my kids could hardly open same door from the inside.Sometimes adults could barely open it . But easy from the outside. dealer could not fix because service tech could open it.
    He was so strong! Worked better after fix at 58000km stated above. By 68000km tough to open from the inside again and inside door panel falling off. Sorry your warranty is over,end of story.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Sludge posts are being moved to Maintenance & Repair, Engine Sludge.

Steve_
    Host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    LOL.
    Got evidence?
    Still LOL.
  • stealth1969stealth1969 Member Posts: 162
    I own a 1998 Seinna with almost 70,000 miles. I have owned it for less than 3 years. I would like to say to pilot13, I have had a problem with sludge, please go engine sludge to read my note about that. I have problems still with tire wear and pulling to the side when driving. The tires only wears on the inside edge. The tires are rotated on schedule. The tires look good on the outside edge and the middle but because the wear in on the inside, I cannot get the full mileage from the tires before they have to be replaced. The service manager tells me it is tire pressure causing the problem. If it was tire pressure, both edges of the tire would be worn, not just the inside.

Perhaps I got one of the lemon Seinnas. I have more complaints. The rear interior light does not work, the bulb is good; both struts for the the tailgate have gone bad (per dealer over $100 each); the panel inside the back keep falling off; the push buttons for the side doors stick in some times; and the power door locks cycle when the the van is running and the front passenger door is opened. I have not been impressed with this vehicle. And of course it is out of warranty.

My recommendation for anybody buying a Seinna would be to find a dealer with a good service manager who is knowledgeable about cars. Just don't say I warn you.
  • ganorgeganorge Member Posts: 1
    I may be posting this twice. I have a Sienna van & the automatic side door does not work properly. It will open automatically, but not close. You can only close it manually. Does anyone have the same problem. The dealership has not been helpful.
  • dokada1dokada1 Member Posts: 2
    We are having a similar problem as post #120. We own a 2000xle. Once last month and again this month the power sliding door would open, but not close with the remote or power switches. Manually trying to get it to close, requires a great force. (Much more than normal). Otherwise the door operates fine. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Took it to a dealer, but they said they couldn't fix it unless they could recreate the problem. Thanks for your help.
  • dbrown1022dbrown1022 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2001 Senna last month. It has about 1500 miles on it. A strange thing though, ever since we bought it, it has had this whistling noise at low rams (800-1200 ram), basically when idling at a light or engaging the transmission. The whistling increases pitch as the engine revs, however, it is hard to hear it at travelling speeds. This has become very irritating.

I brought the Van to the shop this morning (7:00 am, Monday Morning), told the Service Mar my problem and he immediately said that "this is the standard Toyota engine whistle and there is nothing that they can do." This puzzled me. I wasn't in the mood to argue this early in the morning, so I went home and became agrivated.

First of all, I don't remember that sound on my test drive (If I would have heard it, I wouldn't have bought it). Second, if this was a smaller 4-cylinder engine, I may have bought it, but this is a V-6 standard engine with slightly more up to it.

I am looking for anyone who may be experiencing the same noises or had similar experience to share them with me. I may go back to the dealer, ask, them to start each and every Senna on the lot and listen. If they all do it, so be it. If they don't, I want to get an honest effort to try to reduce or eliminate the noise.

Any suggestions or comments.
    Thanks
    You may ask to drive a new one on the lot to see if it does the same thing. I think I know the sound you are talking about and it is normal. Without hearing it myself, I can't say that for certain but try driving a couple of new ones to see if the sound it the same.
  • srivnavasrivnava Member Posts: 13
    I will be picking up my new 2001 Sienna from the dealer next week. I would like to use Synthetic oil instead of the normal ones. Here are couple of questions that I have.

(1.) What synthetic oil to use - 5W30 ??
    (2.) Should I drain out the oil that comes from the factory and use the Synthetic oil before driving off from the dealership ?
    (3.) If not, should I wait until I break in the engine (1000 miles) before changing to the synthetic oil ?
    (4.) Someone suggested that I completely flush out the existing oil before adding the synthetic oil. Is this a special procedure or just a normal oil change ?

Appreciate any feedback
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    If it isn't the Dreaded Toyota whistle it could be a loose fitting vac. hose. At least the service dept. could have took it for a test drive instead of giving you some dumb canned answer. Don't sound like my kind of dealer.
  • bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    Our '2000 Sienna also whistles in the morning (happy Sienna?) but stops after it warms up. I've also looked for a loose vacuum connection & anything else but never found the cause. Since it goes away I'm not too concerned about it. I still get the same milage and if anything (mechanical or otherwise) is operated by vacuum from the engine & not functioning properly I haven't noticed it.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    It goes away when it warms up. Have you had the heads re-touqued, etc. Sounds like something is loose and when the engine warms it expands.
  • 1846618466 Member Posts: 46
    We own a 2000 Sienna LE and had the whistle from the beginning at idle and it appears normal. We now have over 20,000 miles on our van it runs great.
  • rghkrghk Member Posts: 2
    I have purchase a Senna 2001 CE back in September
    2000. With a Toyota security system RS3200. I brought it to the dealer to get it installed. After a couple of day of work, the dealer told me that this security system is not compatible with 2001 CE.
    Either I get my money back , or wait, Toyota might come up with a fix.
    I have waited 4 month so far nothing new.
    I can't believe that Toyota Sell a security system
    that can't be installed. So far the CE model won't have an optional key less entry or security system. Is anyone else have the same problem.

rghk
    I have a 1998 Seinna and I have never had a whistling sound from the engine. Did it start in later years?
    I use Mobile 1 Synthetic 5W30 in our '99 Sienna. The mechanics I've asked say not to change the oil until after the initial engine break-in period. I did it at 3K. I highly recommend synth oil - my uncle got 250 and 300K miles out of two GMs with it - wow! Also, don't waste your money on big $ oil filters. With normal driving, changing oil and filter every 5K should provide exceptional protection for your engine!

I have never heard this whistle in my Sienna. The car guys, Click and Clack in radio/print/internet are experts in diagnosing noises. Try them if the dealer won't help.
    If the heads were in any way not torqued properly I would be experiencing rough idle, possibly some coolant loss and some oil loss even if it did manage to seal itself when it warmed up. The engine is smooth as silk. I have a little over 3K miles and getting 20-22 mpg running around town with a/c on mostly and hauling half a dozen soccer kids.
    I don't, in my case, feel this is a problem. The noise is actually hard to hear. If I had no experience from building up engines for racing (many moon ago...) I doubt if I would have really heard it. I think all the mechanics out there would probably agree.
    Of course, I don't know how loud the other postings are but mine is minor - plus it goes away in three minutes so I'm not worrying about it.
    We have been very happy with our Sienna so far.
    Its pretty hard to diagnose a noise over the Internet. I think I know what you are talking about and if it is, it really is nothing to worry about. Again, I'd suggest asking to drive a couple of van on the dealer's lot to confirm this.
  • cchan11cchan11 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 98 Sienna purchased in Nov97 with 45,000 i. I have used Mobil 1 5W-30 since it was broken in (and in all my other cars since it first came on the market). It is very important to let the engine break-in to let the rings seal, hone the cylinders etc. then change the oil and filter. Also drive it gently and especially don't rev the engine excessively while it's warming up. I've seen people blip the throttle when the engine is cold to either warm it up or keep it running. That's asking for trouble.

Stick to the viscosity for the area you live in as per the owners manual. Also stick to the same oil (Brand, weight). You can supply either the dealer or other service provider with the oil and they will not charge you for their own oil. If you are going to change it yourself check out http://members.nbci.com/minimopar/oilfilters.html about the differences in oil filters.

No need to flush out the old to replace with synthetic as it is compatible. What little is left does not really matter if you are going to stick to synthetic as long as you own the Sienna

• eomckameyeomckamey Member Posts: 26
    Have a 2000 Sienna with 3,000 miles on it. It has had the "whistle" from day one. The sound varies in pitch/sound and most noticeable with movement of vehicle, at automatic trans. shifts & when coming to a stop... prior to even using any brake pedal. Vehicle seems to run properly. I have been told by Toyota Service Mgr. that sound is probably stemming from the "alternator". There has been NO change in the alternator part # or that item itself.... So Toyota doesn't recommend replacing one alternator.... with another... same part etc... with no change thus far made by Toyota to overcome any noise situation. Apparently the alternator on the 2000 and 2001 Siennas is "working like the devil" and the whistling is thus far considered by Toyota...to be "normal". My concern is if the alternator is truly working like the devil...It may experience an early death. Hopefully under warranty.

The whistle sound is indeed slight...easy to get used to/forget about....and is not constant pitch...just varies with engine RPMs etc.

Apparently Toyota is NOT going to do anything soon to correct this sound...even though clearly present in a number of vehicles. I might suggest that if your vehicle has the "whistle", document the situation with Toyota Service Dept., putting situation/symptom in writing and keep your service paperwork. Perhaps, and just perhaps Toyota may one day(if enough people complain)initiate a correction....(even though now considered "normal").
  • dbrown1022dbrown1022 Member Posts: 2
    I went back to the Toyota dealer after my unsatisfactory response (see post No. 676). I talked to the head technician there. We went out to the car to diagnose the problem. He said it was undoubtedly the alternator windings. You could tell, because when you put load on the belt driven equipment with the Air Conditioner, it changed pitch.

The Service Manager said that no way would he change out a part because of a noise. He said he would only change out a part if it failed. I was told to "get used to it" and it had been in all the Camry's since 1992. (That was kind of wierd, that they know the problem and won't try to correct it.).

Haven't decided my next course of action, let it go and "live with it" accidently drop a screwdriver into a working alternator (still under warranty :)) ), or see if they will change out that alternator with one that doesn't make noise already in the lot. Figure that wouldn't cost them much and they may get a customer who actually likes to whistle with his car. :)

However, the mystery is solved, it's the alternator windings. According to the other writers, it seems to be working like the devil.
    OK, we've determined that it is the alternator working as it is designed that causes the whistle. If you drove others on the lot, you will see that this is a normal characteristic of not only the Sienna, but the Camry, Avalon and Solara as well. We also know that if they replace it, you will have the exact same part number. So, why worry about it at all? Its just engine noise and nothing more.
  • thewolverinethewolverine Member Posts: 111
    I'v heard this whistle on my 2001 XLE (quite noticable), '98 LE (barely noticable), my sister-in-laws '94 Camry AND my '87 Subaru GL (got 185K w/o touching the alternator).
    Never heard it on any of my GMs or Fords.

I've always considered this symptomatic of the alternators used in 'Japanese' cars. Guess I'm just used to it. I can understand why Dbrown102 finds it unpleasing but if the engines running fine......

fischda,cchan11: Thanks for the oil posts - I think I'll go synth - if I can get 185K from a 4 cyl. tin can with regular oil no telling how far I can take my Sienna with Mobil 1.
  • cmdgcmcmdgcm Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Sienna XLE and I think it idles way too high. The rpm's go up to 1400 and don't come down much at all. I called the dealer and talked to the service manager and he insists they all do that. I don't think that's true. I know someone else who has a 2001 LE and it idles a lot less. It comes right down. Does anybody else have anything like this?
    I do notice that when my '99 XLE is cold, the rpm's stay up in that range longer than other engines, but it does come down after about 2-3 miles. Is yours up there all the time? If yes, it should be diagnosed.
    I'll suggest the same thing I suggested on the "whistling" issue, drive a new on on the lot and see if it behaves the same. The idle will remain fairly high in cold weather and when the AC is on.
    Ok you guys - you finally got me curious and I had to check it out.
    Yep - it's the alternator. I held the spout of a funnel in my ear and went over the engine this morning. Yeah, that looked funny but it worked. Of course, I was hiding in the garage when I did that so the neighbors didn't know I was REALLY crazy - they just think I am right now.
    Again, the noise goes away on my CE after a couple of minutes.
  • pilot13pilot13 Member Posts: 283
    Both our Toyota (Avalon+Senna) are so darn quiet that even the slightest engine noise can be heard. This may lead you to think there is a problem, where it's just engine sound that normally wouldn't be heard in another make. For whatever it's worth, the diodes in any alternator tend to whine or while under load. It's a normal thing, not to worry!
  • camryfancamryfan Member Posts: 17
    Whistling '00 XLE. Easier to hear when accelerate the car. My salesman let me test drive another one on the lot, it did the same thing. So I am not going to worry about it.

Idle speed is about 1200 rpm when cold, 700 rpm when warmed up, exactly the same as my Camry. Hope it helps.
  • inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    Hear occassional clunk at low speeds when hitting a dip or such like coming out of driveway onto street--sounds like near rear suspension. Not terrible but something I am wondering about.
    INKY
  • gapeach5gapeach5 Member Posts: 2
    I just got word that my sienna needs a new transmission (on warranty) and there is a problem with power strreing (not on warranty/ $1,000+ to repair). I have 54,000 miles. Anyone else have simialr problem? Up until now it was a great van.
    I have not had any problems with the transmission or steering. I have almost 71,000 miles on my Seinna. I had a problem with engine sludge, which I know some people think it is because I didn't change my oil by the recommended shedule. Go to maintenance and repair topic engine sludge for more information. There are many little things that are pesty but I only have one major complaint right now. It is the way and how quick the tires wear and have to be replaced. I have to replace them about every year. The alignment has been checked numerous times and is within spec.
    Alignment isn't the only factor in excessive tire wear. Over/underinflated tires will wear more in the center and outsides of tread respectively. Also, the type of roads you drive on. I think concrete wears tires more than asphalt. Grooved highways cause more wear. Not balancing when you rotate tires can cause wear, etc.
    Yes, tire pressure can cause wear. These tires only wear on one edge of the tire, the side towards the inside of the van. The van will wear the the tires so bad, the insides will wear all of the tread off but the rest of the tire will have good tread. That is why I thought it was something with the alignment. If there is any other suggestions, I will welcome them.
  • gapeach5gapeach5 Member Posts: 2
    I too have problems with tire wear on my sienna I've done all the rotating, inflating like the book says and my tire sales person says it's just the way the van is built. I did buy Michelin and the warrenty was honored and I only paid a portion of the cost of new tires. The tire salesman said that Michelin is real good about honoring warranties regardless of the make/ model as long as you have records that show that you regularly maintained the tires.
  • minpin1minpin1 Member Posts: 19
    I see that the premature tire wear is common on the Sienna van. I am on the third set of tires in just 23,000 miles. The van has had a pull to the right or left (depending on tire rotation) since it was just over a year old....at least that is when it was quite noticeable. I'd like to know more about the tire wear and the pulling to one side. Could someone give some technical information, please?

As for the power steering, there are some who have posted that the inner tie rods were replaced. Others have said the entire power steering rack and pinion was replaced. There is a T.S.B. on the matter. There is also a LONG T.S.B. on the pulling problem. Are these problems fixable? It seems that both issues have been posted about a lot in the various Sienna threads.

How about the smoke issue? Does anyone have the increasing white/gray smoke on start up? Has anyone had emission components fail? What repairs have been done? Thanks in advance.
  • edwardh5edwardh5 Member Posts: 130
    Did the tires wear evenly?
    What mileages were they replaced at?

What does the long TSB on the pulling say?

Were the tires"bd" to cause the pulling to vary when they were rotated?
  • inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    I had a 98 Sienna XLE and now have a 2001 XLE. I have never had a tire pulling problem or wear problem. AT 10,000 miles the Firestone tires looked new. Rotate and proper air. Toyota does have a reputation for hosing the alignment spec at the factory. My dad went through 2 sets on his Avalon prior to going out of the dealer to fix this. Toyota paid for his work and tires. No problem again. Toyota techs must have no clue.
    INKY
  • deepandeepan Member Posts: 342
    I have heard that the early sienna's had a problem with Premature tire wear. Is this common known problem or isolated incidents.
    My '99 XLE (is that early?) has the Dunlops. They have plenty of life left after 34K miles. To my own fault, there is more wear on the outsides because I let the tires run underinflated too much.