Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Maintenance and Repair (2003 earlier)

Comments

• srivnavasrivnava Member Posts: 13
    I picked up my stratosphere mica XLE past weekend. Very happy with it. My wife noticed something on the driver side sliding door when the sun light was hitting on it directly. We could see a “scratch mark” in the shape of a stylish I on the undercoat (the first coat). There is no scratch on the outside paint. But when the you look at the vehicle from an angle you could clearly see this ugly looking scratch (sort of a mirage). I am a bit disappointed that this was not corrected at the factory. I called the dealer as well as Toyota. They said to bring the van to the dealership and they would fix it. However, they warned that the body shop may not be able to use the same paint that is used at the factory to fix the problem. I am not sure if fixing the paint job means taking the door apart and fixing the paint an putting it back. I would rather not mess with the door if this is the case and would be able to live with the “scratchy mirage”. Any advice ?
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    You must be using a word processor that is NOT compatible with this forum's software as you are getting a lot of !@#$%$##^. Either type it in directly or after you post, please click on the edit button and delete the garbage. This can be done during the first 1/2 hour after you post. Thanks, we will all enjoy your posts better.
    As far as fixing the paint, the dealer can't fix it like it came from the factory. The sooner you get it fixed the easier it is to match the paint. Reason they can't match the factory is they can't bake it on like they do at the factory because the factory has just a bare body with nothing that will melt due to the heat. They should still be able to make it so you will never know. As far as fixing it, is it something that no one else will ever notice? If it is I would leave well enough alone. Granted you know it's there and it will always stick out like a sore thumb but if you can put it out of your mind, forget it. Maybe you can get the dealer to throw in something instead of fixing it. I got a half doz. free oil changes on a car once for the same thing.
  • deepandeepan Member Posts: 342
    Apparently there was a newspaper article (somewhere in eastern canada) about this. There is also a web site tracking this but have still not found it. Its yrs 98 & 99 i think
  • lamm9733lamm9733 Member Posts: 37
    Try using some wax to buff the area where the "scratches" are located....or have the dealer buff that area to see if they disappear. I believe they will
  • livindolllivindoll Member Posts: 4
    We bought a 2000 XLE, fully loaded, last Feb. Just traded it in for a 2001 MPV ES, fully loaded. The day we bought the car home, the windows didn't work. This went on for a while..it was in the shop at least 15 times in 6 months. There were 2 occasions recently that it started like an old 1970 Dodge Dart..since the mechanics could not fix the problem, we concluded that the computer was bad, as was the electrical system.

We got stuck with a lemon and it's been a real headache. We are happy with the MPV, especially with the folding rear set. It is smaller, but it works well and we will probably never purchase a Toyota again.
  • rliandjlirliandjli Member Posts: 1
    I want to buy a new 2001 sienna LE. I have seen in the newspaper ad for 22,500.00 dollars. Is anybody out there willing to sell at lower price?
  • nognognognog Member Posts: 1
    Anyone had a problem with transmission and a torque converter?... Well you're not alone. It happened to me when we're on our way to NJ for a new year vacation, We were tucked along I-80 west near Stroudsburg,Pa. Haltermann's Toyota fixed it from Dec.27,2000 to Jan.10,2001 by replacing it with a new transmission and torque converter that came from California. So,.. there goes our new year vacation, we enjoyed shivering on the road. Charged to experience.
  • fischdafischda Member Posts: 272
    Sorry about your lemon. The MPV's a good van. I wonder if you pursued going the lemon law route. Did you check out your state's laws? If so, did you attempt to get it settled with Toyota. It's been found and said all over Edmunds Forum that EVERY car maker puts out a few lemons once in a while, and the unfortunate consumer who gets stuck with it is in for a headache. But, it's too bad it should destroy brand loyalty. If my Sienna was a lemon, my first choice would be to have Toyota replace it with another unit!
  • srivnavasrivnava Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for the advice. Dealer buffed that area and they disappeared.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    I'm glad the buffing did the job. If possible, never leet anybody paint your vehicle unless it REALLY needs it. It kills resale value.
  • bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    I've often wondered how the lemons really get out to the public. That many things wrong with one automobile (#714) used to make me think that one assembler was having a bad day but cars are not put together like that anymore. One person would really have to go up & down the line and with help.
    One old story related - a friend of my father's had purchased a brand new '55 Chevy. A persistant rattle from the rear could never be found on four visits to the dealer. They isolated it to one area of the trunk or fender - cut into it with shears - found a small metal box spot welded to the body (somewhere) - found a coke bottle inside with a note: "Loud, wasn't it"?
    Anyone have a rattle?
    :))
  • grplavloffgrplavloff Member Posts: 138
    "I've often wondered how the lemons really get out to the public. That many things wrong with one automobile (#714) used to make me think that one assembler was having a bad day ..."

I'm pretty sure that in most cases it's simply a matter of probabilities. Each part of a car has some chance of failing. In most cases, only a few fail, because the chance of any particular one failing is relatively small. But build enough vehicles, say 200K to several million, and probability-wise there will be some small number of them that will have a lot of failures. Those are the "lemons". Obviously, the more reliable a vehicle model is in the first place, the smaller the number of "lemons".

"One old story related - a friend of my father's had purchased a brand new '55 Chevy. ..."

This is a story that has been repeated in lots of variations for many years. I'm sure that it happened more than once, but my suspicion is that most iterations of it are in the category of "urban legend"
  • livindolllivindoll Member Posts: 4
    My husband is a lawyer and we considered going through arbitration but decided to just get rid of the headache...we'd had enough. Minivans change so much from year to year that we decided to wait until Toyota comes out with a more superior minivan. I love the fold down third row seats and the second row sliding seats...why don't all the minivans have them, I wonder?! I have a 7 month old and taking the third row seating out to fit carriages and packages was a real pain... I am not totally against Toyota, their minivan had a lot of luxury features that I loved and it was an excellent ride....

Maybe in a few years we will be Sienna owners again...
    I love the fold down third row seats and the second row sliding seats...why don't all the minivans have them?
    If all mini-vans were the same we would be back to the Model T days when you could have any color you want as long as it was black.
    It's great to have so many choices, as we drive a mini-van but are older and don't have kids at all. We were so dumb that after the lease was up on our 99 Seville STS we got a mini-van. I got sick and tired of having to rent a truck to bring home plywood etc. from the store. Why don't I have a truck? Because we have a 36' motorhome and needed a small vehicle to tow (GEO Tracker) so a truck was out.
    As i said earlier here are a few complains from folks that was printed in the local paper.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/columnists/cote/prev_stories.html

Chk out Dec 21 & 27 '2000

deepan

Has anyone attempted to add an after-market Class III hitch to a 2001 Toyota Sienna ? It looked like U-Haul had one, but theirs is a year 2000 and it won't fit the 2001. Has anyone had one installed by their Toyota dealer ?
  • merp1merp1 Member Posts: 1
    First time poster - if this has been addressed before, I missed it and could use some input. My 2000 Sienna is 6mths old with 7300 mi. While driving on wet roads today, I had to make an abrupt stop. I felt 'feedback' from my brake pedal, and hear a loud "boing" as if a large spring had been sprung. Took it to the dealer - the tech says don't bother getting {such new} brakes looked at, it's just chatter. Also, could be the ABS. Has this happened to anyone before, and is this typical of an ABS response to a quick stop?
    I am fairly certain what you heard is the ABS functioning as intended. You will feel "feedback" (a very rapid pulsating) from the brake pedal when activated. The "boing" you heard is also the ABS. It should be very similar to sound heard during the ABS self test just after the vehicle is started....Start your vehicle, do not step on the brake pedal, listen carefully (about 3-5 seconds) and you should here that same "boing" noise. Some people call it a grinding noise. An abrupt stop on wet pavement certainly can trigger the ABS system especially if at an intersection with painted cross walk lines. The paint becomes very slippery when wet. ABS is activated anytime during braking when the system senses that a wheel has stopped turning ("lock up") while the van is still moving.
    I tell all my friends when they get there first vehicle with ABS to take it out on a dirt/gravel road and run it up to about 40 or so and on a straight section of the road slam on the brakes. Do this a couple times to get used to the feel. Also remember with ABS no more pumping of the brakes during emergency stops. Just slam on them and let them do there job. Unless you are a professional driver the ABS will out stop you.
    We have a 2000 Sienna and the above mentioned sound is quite evident after 3-5 sec of starting the vehicle. I was a bit puzzled. I see now its the ABS self test taking place. Is this common on Toyota's. I owned a Nissan Maxima which had ABS and didnt notice the self test make such a noticable sound although the sensors were very sensitive (i.e warning light comes on when it detects ice buildup.)
    Our 2000 Sienna sounds the same way. I also own a Nissan Maxima. The maxima does perform a self test though it is very difficult to hear. My previous car (Grand Am) the self test was very noticeable. The amount of noise heard inside vehicle from the ABS unit when activated really depends on the type of unit, how close it is to the passenger compartment, and how much sound insulation is used between the engine and passenger compartments.
  • be_essbe_ess Member Posts: 1
    We also have a 2000 Sienna purchased in Feb2000. We have also had the "brake chatter" noise (and the "boing" noise), but I didn't think that it had to do with the ABS. The sound doesn't necessarily happen on slippery roads or rainy days or when I brake suddenly. On normal steady stops I hear it also. It's sporadic and not easily reproduced, but it happens often enough to give us concern. We have brought the car to the dealership twice and they have found nothing wrong and say they can't reproduce it. Interestingly enough, they never mentioned ABS either (though I believe *I* did the last time I brought it in, saying that it didn't sound like a typical ABS-type sound to me... they didn't really pay attention). Toyota did mention, however, that the new models have brakes made with asbestos that are supposedly noisier. However, it concerns us because the noise is persistent and annoying and we're worried that there may be something wrong with the brakes (and the warranty days are ticking away...). Anybody have any other information or advice?
  • meffamanmeffaman Member Posts: 3
    Anyone else have a problem with the power door not closing completely? My passenger door isn't closing completely and this is an intermittent problem. It doesn't seem to "suck in" all the way.

It looks completely closed but you know it isn't when it rattles while driving. If you pull the inside handle, there is play and if you push on the door from the outside it moves in considerably. I've compared it to the drivers side and there is definately a difference.

I'm scheduled to bring it to the dealer tomorrow, and am keeping my fingers crossed that they can do something. I wouldn't care much but it's a really annoying sound and the van is not quite 3 weeks old.
  • mmeskalmmeskal Member Posts: 2
    The transmission on our Toyota Sienna 2000 broke down during our Family trip to the Grand Canyon and needs a replacement after only 15000 miles, luckily it is still under warranty. But I am curious to know if any Sienna owner out there has had any problems with his/her minivan. I used to be a Toyota aficionado after having two celicas, a camry, a 4-runner, and two corollas. The dealer unofficially told me that Toyota is having some problems with the torque converter the 2000 Sienna and that mine was not the first. I would really appreciate any feedback.
  • sgergensgergen Member Posts: 155
    The entire tranny needs replacement or just the torque converter?

I believe the torque converter problem was localized to Sienna's that were manufactured in the May-June-July 2000 timeframe. You can figure out when you're was made by looking at the sticker on the inside of your driver's door (by the latch).

Scott
  • leslieldfleslieldf Member Posts: 32
    I had the torque converter replaced on my 2000 EL, it was manuf. in July. It's not a big deal - they had very few parts from a sub that don't correctly shift into high - the fuel efficient mode. That shouldn't hurt the tranny.

I think I read one, possibly two, posts here from people who had the tranny go out. Seems rare... probably the unfortunate case of bad luck.

Sorry to hear about your wrecked vacation.

• mmeskalmmeskal Member Posts: 2
    Thank you guys for the feedback, I was told that a new transmission would be installed. The van is still in Arizona at a dealership so I cannot verify the manufactured date. However, after reading all the previously posted messages I feel bad for everyone that had to go through this TC problem with their Sienna. It is really horrible what these big corporations are putting us through. I mean we all work darn hard to make the buck to pay for these expensive mini vans and I am sure everyone that bought the Sienna was after the reliability of the Toyota and the safety. What safety! When your transmission stops pulling the car in the middle of nowhere with three small children. Toyota better get their act together if they want to stay competitive, it seem to me that they have forgotten what happened in the 80's to the 3 big O.
  • vsathevsathe Member Posts: 1
    Bought a 2001 XLE about 10 days ago. During my
    initial fiddling with it, I realized that the
    JBL Radio system is not able to
    tune to any AM stations (while my neighbour's
    LE can tune to without any problems). Took it to the dealer. The technician swapped my radio system with a working system from another van. Result:
    No Reception!

The technician swore that he had never seen this
    problem before (yeah!). He then got on the phone
    with Toyota. Toyota thinks that the antenna
    assembly might have some problem. 2001 vans have
    the "in-glass" antenna technology. Toyota is sending down a bunch of parts (new windshield etc. etc.) for the dealer to swap out on the van.

Has anyone seen this problem before? I am kind of reluctant for the dealer to start screwing around with the windshield and every other part that the radio antena touches.

thanks

V
  • xcarnutxcarnut Member Posts: 81
    Its never a good thing to have the car breakdown at any time let alone on a vacation. But, I've been reading the Edmunds for last few months and I have seen very small Sienna tranny problems write ups.
    It looks like there were some that had problems but as a whole Sienna have gotten praises for power and reliability.
    mmeskal you have good dependable van and based on the number of toyotas you've owned choke this up as a bad luck but now you have new tranny that will last as long as the rest of the van.
  • bamford1bamford1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for info to assist me in an arbitration case regarding my 2000 Toyota Sienna van that will be coming up in a few weeks. This site is the first one I've found that has Sienna owners with the same problem, which simply put is this. My XLE has a tachometer. At engine RPMs between 800 to 1000 the alternator emits a loud whine. Ergo, anytime you go through this range whether accelerating or de-accelerating your subjected to this whine. It can be very irritating when you are in Stop and Go heavy traffic. The classic service department answer appears to be that "They all do it.", but that answer only applies to Sienna's that have a Toyota part number alternator 27060-20090 that is "Only used on the Sienna" per the service advisor that I have been working with to resolve my whine/whistle/noise problem. I have owned too many vehicles over the last 50 years to list them. The one that I traded in for the Toyota was a 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan. I wish I had it back. No car, truck, or van that I have ever owned made the noise that this van does and the last 3 vehicles all had alternators. When I pull up to my local banks drive up window to make a transaction I'm asked to shut my ignition off because the Teller can't hear what I'm saying due to the engine/alternator noise overpowering her microphone. I welcome any input that can help me in my upcoming arbitration case. The dealership has flatly rejected requests to change alternators because "They all do it!" In other words if it ain't broke they ain't gonna fix/change it. Help, please.
    So, exactly what is wrong with the van? Is there any indication of a part failure? Did the van do this when you test drove it?

What you describe is exactly the same thing that every Camry, Sienna and Avalon has and has had since I began selling cars in '94. You will have a difficult time in arbitration since this is a very normal characteristic of the vans. It is not symptomatic of any problem.
  • stealth1969stealth1969 Member Posts: 162
    I have a 98 Seinna. Maybe mine is unique but I have never had a whine from the alternator or, for that matter, the engine area. In fact, sometimes if is so quiet if you didn't see the tach and know the engine is running, you would swear it isn't. I've been standing next to the drivers door talking to my wife and I asked her if the van was running, it was. The only sound I have heard from my engine is from the injectors, that is normally when the hood is up.
  • yamanyaman Member Posts: 113
    I agree with stealth1969.Our van is extremely quiet.I doubt that the noises bamford is hearing are normal.
  • beckpbeckp Member Posts: 20
    I have a hitch from Hidden Hitch for my 98' Sienna. There is great confusion as to it being a class II or III. It's sized (2") like a class III and similar weight specs but hidden hitch is reluctant to call it a class III. I use it for a bumper cargo carrier, I think the tounge weight is 250lbs max. The cargo carrier is 1 1/4" so I bought the adaptor to take it up to a 2" receiver hole. The hitch was easy to install and is very "hidden". The Sienna bottoms out when loaded inside and on the cargo carrier. I need to look into adjustable air shocks or spring levelers before this years trek to the beach. I STRONGLY recommend NOT buying it from BADGE Co. on the internet.
    There are two different kinds of class II hitches. One has a 1-1/4" coupler and the other is a 2" with a 3500 pound rating. It looks like a class III but isn't. Just make sure you know which you are getting if you choose to not get the Toyota hitch which is a 2".
    "So, exactly what is wrong with the van? Is there any indication of a part failure? Did the van do this when you test drove it?"

The van makes an abnormal noise, period. That is what is "wrong", period.

"What you describe is exactly the same thing that every Camry, Sienna and Avalon has and has had since I began selling cars in '94. "

I drove two Siennas while I was looking at vans and am now driving a third one (the one I just bought). NONE of them make the noise you claim is "normal".

Your primary purpose here appears to be to jump on any comment that is not positive to Toyota. Who are you and what, precisely, do you do ????
    'Just make sure you know which you are getting if you choose to not get the Toyota hitch which is a 2". '

I just spent 40 minutes with Toyota's help desk - two separate calls - and was told that the Sienna 2001 Class II hitch is 2 1/4". I asked her to confirm it, she went off for 5 minutes and came back to say that that is what it is. I was also told not to worry about a weight distribution device because "the brake system in the 2001 Sienna takes care of it" and that there is no relationship between sway control and weight distribution units.
  • leslieldfleslieldf Member Posts: 32
    My Sienna (2000 LE) is very quiet - from inside the car I'm not sure the engine is on. I've never heard the whine either.
  • minpin1minpin1 Member Posts: 19
    Has Toyota resolved the pulling issue? I know there is a VERY long Technical Service Bulletin which addresses this problem. I continue to see articles of owner complaints, though. I see a lot of tires being changed out.

Is all this just a temporary fix? What exactly is happening with the power steering? Many are having rack and pinion replacements. Why is the power steering so noisy on this van?

Please write about your consistent pulling problems and the resolutions, if any, attempted.

Thank you.
  • beanie4beanie4 Member Posts: 1
    I am experiencing a "thump" noise in the rear of my 2000 Sienna when I make a left turn at about 5-20 MPH. Sounds like something has shifted underneath the van. Does anyone have clues as to the cause of this noise?(before I bring it into the shop)Thanks
    I make no secret of the fact that I am a salesman for Toyota in Virginia. Check out my profile for detail on this.

I am not here to jump on anybody for anything. I have helped a number of participants with a variety of issues and have learned a number of things myself along the way.

Now, on to your two specific issues. First, noise level is a very subjective matter. Couple this with the extreme level of insulation inside the vehicle and many people may not consider the whine an issue. I can categorically tell you that if you lift the hood on ANY Camry, Avalon or Sienna with the engine running, you will hear a fairly loud whine at idle. It is normal and indicates no mechanical problem at all.

It is possible that yours is more loud than others. This may or may not be symptomatic of other problems. Sound itself is not a problem.

Now, as for the hitch, the customer service people misinformed you. You are correct that the "load leveling" device has nothing to do with the brakes. I am not a big believer in load levelers and I don't think you need them. The owners manual tells you that you need it but that book was written by paranoid lawyers.

The brake distribution system only serves to keep proper braking pressure on the rear brakes when you are towing or are loaded down. This is the system the customer service person mentioned.

As to the hitch measurements, it is 2". That is the standard hitch size for class III and IV plus certain class II hitches.
  • will1rwill1r Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2000 Sienna XL in November of 1999. Since then, I've noted the following problems: A strong steering pull to the left, numerous interior rattles, a rattle in the front passenger door upon closing, a leaking rear window washer, a whistling alternator, peeling trim on the rear lift gate, a loud clicking brake noise when backing up, and squealing front brakes. So far, the dealer, David R. McGeorge of Richmond Toyota, has had a contractor replace the defective trim on the rear lift gate. An area representative from Toyota drove the vehicle and stated that it did not have a steering pull problem. He did, however, note that the two front two tires were sufficiently worn to warrant replacement at 7,500 miles. No attempts have been made to address any of the other deficiencies noted. All in all, I would have to say that this particular Toyota product is a singularly unimpressive one. The dealer is arrogant and uncooperative. So much for Toyota's vaunted reputation for quality vehicles.
    Try Haley Toyota on Midlothian Turnpike. I don't know if you will get any better results, but I have heard good things about that dealership. I'm sure they would be happy to take a service customer from a local competitor.
    I misunderstood the original poster's message and what the source of his noise was. You are right: the whine is (unfortunately) very common. I apologize.

Thanks for the information about the hitch. As far as the recommendation of load-leveling being a function of "paranoid lawyers", thatdepends: I've towed with several front-drive vehicles which would not have done well without one, while another did just fine. I guess I won't really know until I try it.
  • dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    The first thing I did in my 2001XLE was try to re-start the engine when it was in fact running. (lol) Never had that problem in my 98 Expedition. I realized when my wife got her 2000 Solara that the darn thing was so quiet we heard every little sound from the interior (not a problem in her previous car, a Volvo V70.) Same has been true of my Sienna. It is what my friend calls a good problem to have.
  • minpin1minpin1 Member Posts: 19
    Will1r, your experience is not all that uncommon based on owner complaints. Apparently, a lot of front tires are being replaced at very low mileage. When the tires are rotated with regular maintenance, the problems are noted with increased vibrations. It seems that usually, the front tires are replaced to remedy the issue.

Some owners have indicated that tires have been replaced more than once at low mileage. I am wondering if this is some sort of "quick fix" for the pulling problem? Does the problem recur after 5-7,500 miles?

You are not the only one that has been told there is no pull problem. Would such documentation result in a possible government investigation? Have others been told that the problem is "unable to duplicate?"

Please post your pulling issues and/or the methods used to correct them, even if temporary. Thanks.
  • eomckameyeomckamey Member Posts: 26
    Have followed your comments for quite some time. Want to compliment you on trying to provide meaningful info. to viewers. Keep up the the good work. I fully realize you work for Toyota but do find that you are genuinely trying to remain unbiased. Thanks for your efforts to help us Sienna (& other Toyota) owners. Keep the faith!
  • autolover3autolover3 Member Posts: 53
    I have been researching a few Toyota in the past year. I always read the posts by Cliffy1. Thank you Cliffy1 for all of your answers (let's remember he is giving us information voluntarily). Thanks for everyone's input.
  • smfransmfran Member Posts: 432
    I too have had various problems over the past year with my 2000 Sienna. None of these problems I would consider major and all have been cheerfully remedied by my dealer. As I have stated in this discussion in the past, an automobile is a conglomeration of parts that over time can need attention. Nothing can't be fixed or replaced except for possibly an extreme electrical problem. My dealer always accommodates my schedule and treats me with respect. For those in MA and RI, I use 495 Toyota in Milford, MA. I also don't consider the amount of minor problems unusual compared to any of the 14 cars I have had over the years. All in all I am very happy with the Sienna and would buy it again.
    My Sienna does whine/whistle when running; but so what? The engine is smooth and the van runs fine. I must admit that the van does seem to drift on the highway, especially when windy or a truck passes me. I just figure it was due to the van design (height). I have always had lower to the ground vehicles. Cliffy - any comment on this drifting?
    I really appreciate the encouragement. I'll do my best to deserve the praise.