Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    robj1robj1 Member Posts: 10
    Karen, I am looking at Odysseys as well as seinnas and plan to visit Bernardi tomorrow. Can I ask what price you got there? which model? will help with the haggling process.
  • Options
    hmb1hmb1 Member Posts: 8
    Sales tax in DFW is 6.25%. Dealer inventory tax is .193425% - this is the first time I've heard of dealer inventory tax, so I'm not sure whether that is a "real tax". Have you figured how your tax amount was calculated?
    Thanks
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Please do not ask people to post the names of salespeople or phone numbers. It violates the rules of the Forums. Dealership, city and state may be posted.
  • Options
    dbroylesdbroyles Member Posts: 7
    We just bought an EXL from David McDavid Frisco for $28k + TTL, no xtras. The sales guy worked very hard to find us the color we wanted as they sold the one we were on our way in for. He ended up driving over 100 miles for a trade to get us our car. There was no pressure to do add ons or anything and he spent quite a bit of time showing us all of the details of our new car. It was definitely a pleasant experience.
    During our search for the best price, I have to say John Eagle, David McDavid, and Rusty Wallis seemed to be the best to work with, all were offering and/or willing to sell for the same price. We chose David McDavid because of proximity. If anyone wants info on persons I spoke with at any of the dealers, just email me. Good Luck!
    Oh yeah, I love my van!!!
  • Options
    etaeta Member Posts: 33
    That makes sense -- I was trying to figure out why my tax was higher than it should be and adding in the amount you mentioned *almost* makes things add up (it still seems to be a bit low). Didn't really matter to me since they were trying to match an "out the door" price from another dealer in my case.

Sales tax is a real pain here. As you say, it's 6.25% (plus some) for cars. For other goods, it can vary from 6.25 to 8.25 depending where you make the purchase. Many cities here add their own 1% to the local sales tax and Dallas adds another 1% I believe. Should make tracking this for your itemized deductions on next year's 1040 lots of fun :).

ETA
  • Options
    slykslyk Member Posts: 21
    Hmb1:
    No next Sat!! I have his quote on e-mail so if he tries to say its another price then there's going to be a problem. So far the experience has been fine-all via internet at first then by phone, I have been dealing with the internet manager. I guess the only minor thing is the guy hasn't always returned my call to touch base like he said he would.
    So you are getting a Touring R&N too? Sounds like $500 over invoice (even new invoice) sounds pretty good. Where from and what are you paying for it (before ttl) and drive out minus accessories? BTW- Which accessories are you getting anyway??
    Also- I still haven't found a dealer cost list for the extended warranties. I got a good deal on the vehicle and don't want to go in uninformed and get shafted on the warranty to make up the difference.
    Slyk
  • Options
    eta:
    Regarding sales tax in TX, I was told that everyone charges the same tax and cities can't tax new car sales. Several dealers I talk to in Houston (for example) all were charging 6.25%
    Also see Message # 8713
  • Options
    demaximisdemaximis Member Posts: 12
    I will post the dealer information as soon as the deal is complete, which could be today (I'm waiting for a call to confirm that the van reached the dealership).

I will try to remember to scan a copy of the signed offer so I can send it if anyone needs it. Just contact me through my email in my profile.
  • Options
    guamguam Member Posts: 5
    thank you for your help.
  • Options
    kjhgkjhg Member Posts: 3
    Be careful - I'm serious about the finance dept. They are an absolute NIGHTMARE. I wouldnt even bother going if I were you. I actually got the quote from a different dealer and went with Bernardi simply because it was closer. I love the van, but I regret getting it there.
    Try the Honda Barn in North Reading. They gave me the lowest quote out of all the dealers I was in communication with - $25,988 (EX with cloth).
    I STRONGLY advise against Bernardi.
  • Options
    thanks Karen, thats a better price than autofair. I went today, sales people were really nice like you said, car drove great, but I will be leary of closing the deal there as it does sound like a headache to avoid. Thanks for getting back to me.
  • Options
    sorry just realized that your name is probably not Karen.. saw it from the other post. doh!! :)
  • Options
    charlie10charlie10 Member Posts: 2
    If your willing to go to houston. Make a trip to David McDavid Honda. I purchased an EX-L NAV from them for 1000.00 over invoice. They were very easy to work with. They will try and add the extras (window etching, crossbars etc...) I got lucky and happened to drive there as one had just been delivered so they did not have the time to add the etching. They did put the crossbars and charged 160.00 for them which I went ahead and paid for.
  • Options
    mukkimukki Member Posts: 1
    Would appreciate if someone can share the best price paid for the EX-L in or around NJ.
  • Options
    rays3rays3 Member Posts: 2
    Got a price quote on 05 EX $26,227 with 10% discount on all accessories! Great price? including $515 DES charge. Chicagoland Area
  • Options
    cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Although not bad, this is not a "great price" unless you have shopped extensively and can't do any better. It looks like you're about $700 over the "old" (built before 2/14) invoice.

This model sells for invoice (or close) in many areas of the country
  • Options
    rays3rays3 Member Posts: 2
    Best Price? 05 Honda Ody EX $26,227 including $515 des charge! And 10% discount on all accessiores! Hows this sound? Chicagoland area
  • Options
    mazdarxmazdarx Member Posts: 10
    Odyssey EXs are easy to find at invoice. In fact, in the Washington Post, two dealerships (I won't name them) are advertising at $1 over invoice.

EXLs are about $500 over invoice.

DVD and Navigation are only $1500 under MSRP.

I just leased a Odyssey EXL for $1,560 Down and $300 per month.

That includes a sale price of $28250, a new cost factor from Honda of .00195 (4.6%) and and 52% residual for 48 months. The residual and cost factor for 42 and 48 months are the same, so you are better off with the 48 months (unlike the Pilot).

Good Luck!
  • Options
    fast4wardfast4ward Member Posts: 11
    Who/what is H&A? Could someone please post the H&A web address. No luck when I googled them.

Is the leather steering wheel wrap hard to install? Does it do anything other than look good?
  • Options
    I installed an aftermarket leather wrap on an Integra many years ago. It took about 1 hour to install. For this one, I basically had to sew it on using a needle and pulling a rawhide cord through about 100 or so holes on the underside of the wrap. Of course, I have no idea whether the one for Odysseys would be similar.

Mine got wet at some point (left my window open during a rainstorm) and it pretty much disintegrated. I've never been tempted to get another one since. It did make for a better grip on the wheel but it also makes the wheel "fatter" and I also recall that my hands would definitely smell "leathery" after driving for a while. On balance I now prefer most steering wheels without the wrap.

From where I stand, they don't add anything to the *looks* of the vehicle -- they mainly change the feel of your grip (in cold areas like Montreal where I used to live, the wrap also felt a bit warmer than without).

ETA
  • Options
    heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    Uh, it's the red and blue heading at the top of this page...
  • Options
    skynsfnskynsfn Member Posts: 15
    Can you share where you leased from? We are looking to do the exact same thing (and would drive to DC - we live in Southern PA).

Thanks.
  • Options
    pilotronpilotron Member Posts: 2
    Bought an EX cloth 8 days ago in southwest Ohio area. After e-mailing all dealers within 100 miles (thru Honda.com) I received 4 offers between $25527 and 25727 immediately. This is right at dealer invoice price prior to the price increase. After a few more e-mails we purchased at $25320 which included mudguards ($27225 with all taxes and fees). We did have to pick an in-stock color (silver with gray interior) which we wanted anyway. We found many dealers wanted to work with us on pricing. Cars fresh of the truck would have cost us another $200 or so.
  • Options
    markv2markv2 Member Posts: 2
    Mine was $26100.
  • Options
    hungshyhungshy Member Posts: 74
    Bought this car at 3-5-05 afternoon from Honda of Lisle . Did request for quote from Edmunds. But the one called edmunds.com premier dealer didn't give me good price at the first time offer, not even after I ask for the best offer. I sent out only 6 request. And that one from edmunds "premier" was the second highest one. Really dispointed me. The lowest first time quote come from MSN auto web site. I am saying need to use whose reference. But it's very good concept to ask from different sources. Because those dealer will have attitude after internet bring them high volume of customers. And follow edmunds recommend - don't go for the high quote. So I drop them at third times request them to give me the best offer. But I didn't go with the dealer referred from MSN. Because it's 40 miles away from my home. So I went to the delaer I used to have my old CR-V service and ask them to give me thier best offer. They are kind enough and I don't asked for low but I told them I don't want to pay more then national average price. So the final they gave me a littbe bit lower than I offer them. For $28082 I know this is not the best compare to someone. But the gave me 10% off for accessories. So I am ok with that. I addes "auto day/night mirrior""cargo board""leather steering wheel cover""back up sensor" and "splash guards" for $1150. I think that's fair enough. And we got what coler we want from thier last one in-stock, slate green. So we are happy to be thier repeat customers again. I will enjoy free internet service, coffee, donuts while i sent back for service later. we are happy.
  • Options
    esp63esp63 Member Posts: 27
    Over a 2 day period, I got 2 dealerships agree to sell me EX-L/RES for 32,800 out the door. That's based on a sale price of 30,000 plus shipping,tax,tag,title. Not the best deal I ever made but, when you consider that sticker is 32,095, it wasn't terrible. Started at Rick Case. Told me they are selling at sticker, then grabbed me by the arm when I got up to leave and asked me to make an offer. Did the usual give with one hand take with the other, still came in 500 over my offer and had a hefty dealer fee(title) on top of that. Placed an internet bid at Holman, they immediately took it. Had lower fees and were interested in taking my car in trade. Rick Case bombarded me with calls always avoiding committing to my number. Got to Holman, they "sold" the van I was interested in before I got there. Told me one was due arrive this week, we could close the deal and they'd deliver it. My wife read them the riot act and I played good cop when she was done. Simply put, I let them know that I didn't rush over from the middle of a very busy day to drop off a check and leave without a new car. They offered to locate one and get it for me immediately. At the same time, I got a call from Rick Case and, while waiting to find out if Holman could come through, I got Case to finally agree to my number. Holman found the car, made a pretty good trade, and I decided that I'd had enough of the chipping away negotiating style with Case. They could have taken my offer 2 days earlier and I'd have driven home with a new vehicle. I spent 5 hours at Holman because of the screw-up/save but, in the end, they were pretty nice bunch and the prices were fair. I'm fairly certain I could hit the number all day long based upon how I was able to make other dealers budge on their numbers without trying too hard. I'm guessing that the profit at the price-point is sufficient to leave them feeling good about life. Good luck everybody!
  • Options
    mjill1mjill1 Member Posts: 5
    Any positive experiences through the internet or in person with Honda dealerships in Maryland?
  • Options
    tanditandi Member Posts: 1
    I am having a hard time finding out the NEW invoice prices reflecting Honda's price increase since 2/14/05. Can someone post or let me know how I can find out the invoice prices for the various Odyssey trim levels? Thanks.
  • Options
    kjhgkjhg Member Posts: 3
    No problem, glad to help.
    I wish I had gone thru the Honda Barn, as they were very nice (over email anyway...thats how I conducted all my research). Take my advise and stay away from Bernardi. Its just not worth it. Another place you may want to look at is the Honda Village in Newtonville. They had a good selection of colors (online) and were also willing to match the $25,988 price. Another place out of Chesterfield came in at $950 over invoice (which would be $25,960 I think) and they deliver directly to you (they are way out in the western part of the state). They gave me this quote after I already purchased, unfortunately. Email me directly if you want some of these peoples contact info.
  • Options
    Slyk,
    I called Jack-O and they told me $36,290 was their best offer and they can't do the $35,144 at all - I guess you really lucked out.
    Yes, I was getting the touring - but over the weekend I researched the PAX run-flat tires, and I really don't want those tires at all :-( Not sure where to go from here.
    Best offer so far has been $36,800 +ttl => $39,353.23 TDO. And that's with 6 accessories (VIN etch, pinstripe, wheel locks, cargo tray, cross bars, and mud guards). I only really wanted the cargo tray, wheel locks, and cross bars. So yes $500 over invoice would be good, but I have to buy all this extra stuff.
    As for the extended warranty - there are several different ones out there. Consumer Reports advises against them. However, if it includes the DVD and NAV system in the warranty for 7 years, maybe that would be a good thing to have. I haven't done my research on that one yet, but will soon.
  • Options
    I was told only $200 on the ex, not much
  • Options
    pamvanpamvan Member Posts: 9
    Please let me know if the $25320 included the destination charge or if you paid an additional $515 on top of the $25320 you mentioned. Thank you.
  • Options
    tim12tim12 Member Posts: 3
    Just purchased an New Odyssey 2005 EX (cloth). I live in Baltimore and found the best price at a dealership in Harrisburg, PA (and they will deliver to your door). The second best price was from a dealership in York, PA.

The best I could do in the Balt./Wash Metro area was $500.00-2,500.00 over from what I paid. One dealer in Baltimore City did give me the decent price, but I went for the best price!

I searched over 20 dealerships within 120 miles. If you live in Maryland and want to save a few bucks, check those dealers in PA!
  • Options
    mugenmugen Member Posts: 5
    "I searched over 20 dealerships within 120 miles. If you live in Maryland and want to save a few bucks, check those dealers in PA! "

Thanks for the enthusiastic recommendation. But it would have really delivered your point if you told us how much you actually bought your Odyssey for.
  • Options
    pilotronpilotron Member Posts: 2
    The $25320 included destination charge and mudguards which retail for $99. Again, this was an EX cloth at the old dealer invoice price of $25527. Good luck.
  • Options
    cteng1cteng1 Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone have information on current Honda Finance rates in the Northeast? Interested in 60 month purchase rate for someone with no credit problems. Can get 4.89% via capitaloneautofinance, but just wondering if Honda Financing can beat that. Thanks.
  • Options
    paul9paul9 Member Posts: 6
    I didn't get any where with the Honda dealers in Nashville. Went to Gary Force in Bowling Green, KY. MSRP 28,510 I bought for $26,070 with mud guards.
  • Options
    hmb1:
    I got my quote right before the price hike came out. Maybe the guy got up that morning feeling really good, I don't know.

So whats up with the pax tires? I guess I haven't heard much complaining about them. Well its the only these vehicles come, I'm not going to buy it just because of the tires.
    Yea I'm still on the fence about the E.W. I kinda know what they go for so I'll probably see what they are offering price wise and decide from there. The way my luck goes--if I buy the EW nothing will happen, if I don't sometime sure will after the stock warranty runs out, ha!
    Good luck, slyk
    I'll report back after this weekend when we are supposed to take delivery.
  • Options
    glmglm Member Posts: 3
    Andrew....$45 documentation fee to the dealer for preparing the DMV license and registering the car. $245 is the actual license fee. The tax is calculated on price + destination + documentation fee and the tax rate depends on the county where you live. We bought our 2005 EX-L, Slate Green/Olive (no NAV & no RES) from Yuba City Honda (about 2 hrs. drive from SF) last Friday. $31,206 out-the-door, and they included three reasonable options. Send them an e-mail. The best SF/Bay Area/Peninsula dealer to deal with. "Good service". Good luck!
  • Options
    glmglm Member Posts: 3
    We bought our 2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L, Slate Green/Olive, from Yuba City Honda last Friday. The best dealer in Northern California to deal with. We are very satisfied with the outstanding service. (Our worst experience was from Stevens Creek Honda in Cupertino). Itemized cost of our Odyssey
    $28,548 car, destination fee, 3 reasonable options
    $45 documentation fee
    $246 license fee
    $8 California Tire fee
    Plus sales tax - rate depends on the county where you live
    The internet sales manager was very helpful and immediately returned my calls or answered my e-mails. He even sent us a thank you e-mail for doing business with them and to check if there's anything that he can help us with or answer any questions regarding the purchase. Bay Area folks...send them an e-mail and good luck!
  • Options
    demaximisdemaximis Member Posts: 12
    I am finally able to report that I am the proud owner of a Silver/Gray 2005 Odyssey Touring RES/NAV!

I picked it up last night from Hendrick Honda in Easley, South Carolina. The deal went off without a hitch, except for one VERY minor issue that was resolved quickly (see below). From the Atlanta area, it was a quick two hour drive (about 140 miles) to get the van. I wound up renting a car from Alamo, one-way, for $38 from Atlanta to Downtown Greenville, SC, and then taking a $16 cab from there to the dealership (they would have picked me up, but this was quicker).

They were pretty amazed when I whipped out my detailed checklist from the poster on Odyclub (special thanks!) and followed behind their delivery quality inspection. That was a great tool, and I never would have caught a couple of fit/finish things without it (which were taken care of while I was in the finance office).

The slight "hitch" I referred to above happened in the finance office when they told me that they no longer had my interest rate (3.9%) available from AHF, but could get me 4.0% from one of their lenders. Thankfully, I still had (and brought) the certified draft from my credit union at 3.9% (ALWAYS bring your own financing, and let them try to match or beat it), and they were quickly able to find a local lender to offer 3.9%. I don't think they were trying to pull anything, especially because the rate difference was so small. In any event, they were very happy to do the deal with my financing too - they kept saying "We'll do what makes you happy."

All-in-all, a very pleasant experience at the dealer - they completely lived up to their written offfer (even though they did try to (unsuccessfully) get me to buy their third-party warranty instead of Honda Care, and to (again unsuccessfully) sell me a $495 "interior" warranty to protect against spills, etc.). They were also able to register the car for me in GA (a nice bonus - saving me a trip down to the DMV)!

Here are the final numbers from the contract:
    $34,951 .... Touring RES/NAV
    $299 .... Document Fee
    $1050 .... 7yr/100K/$0 Honda Care warranty (cost!)
    $55 .... License Fee
    $1,762 .... 5% Sales Tax (Cobb Co., GA)

$38,117 .... Total Drive-out Price!

As previously posted, they were true to their word at the "$35,250 + tax/license" quote. They even threw in an extra pair of wireless headphones. No one in Atlanta would even come CLOSE to this deal (trust me, I contacted everybody), so I feel pretty good about it (even more so since the van came with the new higher pricing on the sticker). If anyone needs any additional information -- and I've got a LOT -- (salespeople, how to get the 3.9% rate, etc.), feel free to email (check my profile).

Finally, we absolutely love the van.
  • Options
    There a whole discussion forum here on edmunds about the run-flat/PAX tires (I was looking at the hassle of not being able to fix the tires at any other place but a Honda dealer, with normal tires you can patch minor punctures with a repair kit yourself). Apparently if you get the 7yr/100,000 miles for $1,000 it's a good deal - Curry Honda online offers something, you may want to contact the online Honda Care vendors before going to the dealership.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 3
    Demaximis - Congratulations on your new purchase. I've already checked Mapquest and it's only 470 miles from Pensacola. I'll obviously have to adjust Invoice for the latest price increase but what you ordered is exactly what I am looking for also. I have your e-mail address and I'll be in touch soonest. Thanks again for opening the door.
  • Options
    rashdirrashdir Member Posts: 29
    Since you are in DFW. Why not check out Quintana Honda in Paris, TX? They claim to have a tires-for-life program where they will replace your tires.....

I wonder if that applies to PAX. That would be a nice bonus.

Yeah, I've read through the PAX concerns even before the van came out. I wasn't buying a touring so I didn't worry.
  • Options
    hondaguy3hondaguy3 Member Posts: 1
    Which salesperson did you order it from? I work for a Honda dealership and can verify the order.
  • Options
    > So whats up with the pax tires?

As someone who will end up driving in Canada on a fairly regular basis, the biggest problem to me is that the PAX tires might not even be available there. My understanding (I haven't verified this but I think someone posted this here) is that the Canadian version of the Touring model doesn't come with the PAX tires so dealers up there are probably unlikely to stock them. If you get a flat up there, you may be waiting days before you can get a replacement tire shipped to you...

As others have pointed out, these tires are a non-standard size which is only used on the US Touring model of the Odyssey and on one other model (Cadillac maybe?).

Other possible issues: some reports that they wear out fairly quickly and replacing them isn't cheap... And, if you are > 125 miles from "civilization" when you get a flat -- there's no spare on the Touring models, right?

ETA
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Please do not ask others to post names of salespeople in the discussions as posting that information is not allowed (see the red text in the post box please...)
  • Options
    itselementaryitselementary Member Posts: 1
    Wife just bought 2005 Odessey EX from Anderson Honda in north Baltimore for Invoice $27012.

Internet saleman was ........

Also bought 2004 Element from them about a year ago...also for Invoice.

No one else in DC or Maryland was even close,
    not even UBS buying service.

Each time they didn't have excatly what we wanted so they had to do East Coast search and both vehicles were found in PA, and brought down.

Very happy with this dealership.

Good Luck
  • Options
    northvabuyernorthvabuyer Member Posts: 4
    I have two dealers that will sell an EX with leather and DVD RES for $31957 out the door. One is a VA dealer and the other is a MD dealer. There are a few slight differences between tax rate, tags and license, and processing fees, but my concern is the bottom line. Since most dealers I contacted in Northern VA started quotes at MSRP, I thought this was a great price on a vehicle due in the dealer this week. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    skynsfnskynsfn Member Posts: 15
    Your tax rates shouldn't matter - if you buy in one state and live in another, my understanding is the state you live in will bill you for the difference upon registration - otherwise I would drive to DE to buy since I live in PA :-) Hope that helps your decision - what is the purchase price - I have a quote from two dealers in PA for $29,800 for an EXL with DVD, if I add in taxes that brings me up to $31,588 - I've yet to check on tags and fees.