Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    kohlkohl Member Posts: 3
    Just got the EX-L as described above. Out the door was right about 30,5XX (including CA Tax 7.75, tax, lic etc)
    Went as smooth as can be. Went through the Internet Sales Dept at Norm Reeves in Cerritos. I believe the new quotes will be +400 as mine was for the pre 2.14 price... they honored it even though it took a while for me to get down there a few weeks after the quote was given.
    Finance guy was considerate too... no hassles.
    I thing I've had more pressure at Best Buy for warranties and add-ons than I did at Norm Reeves.
    Couldn't be better : )

k
    linda
  • Options
    dzubadzuba Member Posts: 159
    Wow - so your dealer actually honored the invoice price plus margin from before 2/14? I was at Invoice plus $500.00 on a Touring/Nav/DVD before 2/14, but now the dealer wants another $500.00 due to the price increase.
  • Options
    mugenmugen Member Posts: 5
    I just helped my mom buy her Odyssey EX cloth last night. The final negotiated price was $25,150 plus 5% Maryland Tax and tag/registration. Freight was included in the negotiated price, and no other BS fees were added.

The car had 4 miles, and came with mud guards and wheel locks.

This as from Pohanka Honda in Marlow Heights, MD.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    That shouldn't be that suprising. If the car is in stock at the lower price, afaik Honda isn't adding the price increase to that car - only cars delivered to dealer after the price increase are affected.
  • Options
    dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    Don't bother with your local dealers! Just call Pohanka Honda of Salisbury, MD and they'll deliver a car to your home. I got my Touring for $800 over invoice three months ago.
  • Options
    keysdiggskeysdiggs Member Posts: 12
    Hi...please see my post 8987. My husband and I bought our ody ex-l from John Hoover Honda in Danville Va last Thursday (approx 200 miles from here) We tried to get invoice from all of the dealers in the seven cities ie hampton roads but they kept saying no one is going to sell it to us for invoice. We live in Portsmouth VA. Try John Hoover Honda before goint to Maryland.
  • Options
    blvblv Member Posts: 2
    Lets get one thing straight...Invoice and Odyssey should not be used in the same sentance. It has been the pinnacle of achievement in mini-vans since its debut in 1996. I have bought many high end vehicles before and they have all scoffed when Ive mentioned discount. Lets face if folks, the odyssey is the Rolex of minivans. You get what you pay for. There is no discount on a Presidential Rolex so think of that when you are holding out for an invoice deal on an Odyssey. The Odyssey is built in limited production,compared to its domestic competitors.Honda offers no rebates, so think of that when you buy a domestic competitor and your depriciation goes through the roof.
  • Options
    heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    Wow. You sure slobbered a bibful there.

I think scores of posts here show that substantial discounts on most Odyssey models are routine throughout most--but not all--of the country at this point.

And one could make the argument that the Odyssey/Oasis (with four conventional doors) wasn't exactly the pinnacle of minivan achievement in '96. The Chrysler T&C was still the model to beat back then. Honda didn't blast ahead until the '99 model year.

I haven't been Rolex shopping lately, but there are a ton for sale on Ebay....
  • Options
    blvblv Member Posts: 2
    96 Odyssey was based on the 96 Accord frame.Youre probably thinking of the Oasis, rather then the Odyssey. The odyssey won awards even when it was the Odyssey/ Oasis. Side Note: Buying a Rolex on ebay(used) is like finding an orthapedic surgeon in the classifieds.
  • Options
    heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    '96-'98 Odyssey and Oasis were the same vehicle--and had a poor crash test rating.

Once you buy a new Rolex, it immediately becomes a used one. Most of us who see someone wearing a Rolex assumes either the wearer bought it on Ebay or it's fake-- or both. You may want to choose a different analogy.
  • Options
    skynsfnskynsfn Member Posts: 15
    Ahhh - finally signed the buyer's order this afternoon - picking up my EXL-RES on Thursday. Leased at a capitalized cost of $29,987 - $600 above invoice. I ended up with Roberts Honda in Downingtown, PA, 2 miles from my house - they agreed to match my Doylestown dealer best price. Both internet managers at both places are wonderful, my only gripe about Doylestown (Keenan) was that the quote was good on an instock EXL-RES and when I finally comitted to buy, they only had 1 in stock - red/ivory. Not in my top 5 color choices.

My payments are $456.27 for those of you who have been inquiring about leases - following terms:
    36 mo/15k miles per year
    $18,600 residual value
    .00235 money factor
    $1,677 down today to cover first month's payment, tags, license and deposit
    $418.60 was the base cost, $456 is the cost per mo. including tax (9% in PA lease tax)
    price includes gap insurance coverage

Was even able to finally find my 1st choice in color combos - sage brush pearl with olive interior, was told before requesting that color that it was the hardest to find as it was the #1 selling one right now. Just my luck - ha ha!

Good luck to all you lookers right now - hope you all find a great deal.
  • Options
    lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    Leaving aside the watch analogies, IMO it's a disservice to prospective buyers to suggest that sharp discounts on Odys aren't readily available--these pages are full of them for a start. In fact, it's pretty amazing how quickly the Ody came off MSRP, especially when you consider some of the predictions made here only a few months ago as to how long it supposedly would be selling at list price. Competition works.
  • Options
    seattlemanseattleman Member Posts: 12
    I have also been told that the Odyssey EX-L RES has gone up $400. The American Honda Announces Price Increase Torrance, Calif. February 14, 2005 -- press release said only $200.

Does anyone out there know if the $400 is the actual price increase or if the dealerships are putting a 100% markup on the price increases?
  • Options
    rugratncrugratnc Member Posts: 10
    Price update. There was some confusion over the model I was looking for and the internet manager had quoted me on a EXL w/o RES. I believe this was an honest mistake because I was dealing with multiple people, but the end result is I put a $500 deposit on a Silver EXL-RES that is scheduled for delivery next week. The final price is $31,000 including tax, tags, admin, etc. I also got them to throw in the wind deflector and mud flaps. They are going to sell me the all weather mats ($99) and rear mat ($80) at dealer cost. Overall a good experience with not too much work, but a lot of research.
  • Options
    bridgeteschbridgetesch Member Posts: 14
    I got an internet quote from O'Hare honda for $27,750. That does assume that it was a vehicle prior to the 2/14 invoice increase. Otherwise, it will be $400 higher. So, since that's only about $200 over invoice, I'd try there.

We are early in our process, and haven't talked with anyone from that dealer so I can't comment on how well they are to work with and if they tried to tack on any annoying fees.

I'm curious what you end up doing. We're in the same boat!!
  • Options
    I am trying to figure out the invoice price after 3% dealer holdback???

I was also quoted $29,387 from a dealer as the new invoice price for a EX-L with DVD which I assume is RES. Does this price include subtracting the 3% dealer holdback???
  • Options
    wayfarerwayfarer Member Posts: 2
    That sounds like a great deal...I'm looking for the same thing, may have to try my luck there. How much negotiating did you have to do? Did you get an internet quote first?
  • Options
    mangovanmangovan Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I am looking for EX-L-DVD in N. California, but not a good price yet. Could you please share the dealer name?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    mrcubb10mrcubb10 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all! Found this site this evening doing a little research on the Odyssey. My wife and I have pretty much decided on the EX w/ Leather and DVD. I will definitely request some quotes from dealers over the internet but I was wondering if there are some dealers out there I may want to avoid. I would also like some input on some dealers that I should definitely take a look at. I live in the 815 area code but have many Honda dealers within 150 miles. Thanks for any input and looking forward to joining the club!
  • Options
    daddyddaddyd Member Posts: 22
    Not sure if you're right there buddy. Just picked one up for 300 BELOW invoice....
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Congratulations! Mind telling us where you purchased?

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    etaeta Member Posts: 33
    Well, I'm about to officially give up on Bankston here in the DFW area. They were quick to match the price from other dealers but they've been unable to come up with an actual vehicle despite repeated claims that they can find one "no problem". And, despite repeated attempts to get them to simply assign me one of their incoming vehicles (I don't mind waiting 2-3 months if it takes that long) they've been evasive about that.

This is pure speculation but I'm guessing that their incoming inventory is already allocated and they don't want to admit it. They're probably hoping to find a vehicle in trade but the EX-L NAV/RES models are in short supply in this area and IMO that could go on for months...

I have a lead with another dealer who has a vehicle coming in sometime in May. He says its mine as soon as we agree on the price (which sounded like it should be pretty close to the $35250 quoted earlier -- this is the price that Bankston matched).

Also (FWIW), I contacted a dealer in Dallas who had an add in Saturday's paper saying "NAV/DVD in stock". The sales manager was extremely skeptical that one could get an EX-L NAV/RES for invoice plus $1000 (he certainly wasn't about to match my other offers). He said he was getting calls from as far away as Portland, Oregon for the ones that he had on the lot...

ETA
  • Options
    gmwardgmward Member Posts: 2
    Ext.\Int: Slate Green Metallic\Olive (shows as silver/grey...maybe a hint of green...)

MSRP w/dest $39,010

Paid w/dest. $37,100.
  • Options
    rashdirrashdir Member Posts: 29
    I'm a bit confused by your post. The price you are listing 35250 is for an EXL-RES-NAV? And that's $867 over invoice?

I'm guessing there is a typo.

Anyway if you think your model is rare then have you tried looking outside the DFW area? Within Texas and Oklahoma?
  • Options
    brittone2brittone2 Member Posts: 2
    We are getting ready to buy a new Odyssey, and looking for the EX-L without RES or NAV. I would be trading in a 02 CR-V with 32K miles. It is in good condition, and from what I understand used CR-Vs are still in demand. Obviously not a difficult car for most Honda dealers to sell themselves.

If we go through with negotiating online/by phone, how do I handle a trade? I know what I want for the cr-v based on KBB and the fact that I know it is in demand as far as used vehicles, and I'd be trading it to a Honda dealer. I'm wondering if I mention the trade and then have them assess it after they give me their best price? Do I wait and only mention it after the fact (I know when buying in person this is what is usually recommended?)

Does it matter as long as I know what range I'll pay for the EX-L and what my trade should be worth? Any suggestions are most appreciated.

We're in Southeast PA so I've been happy to read some positive threads about dealing with Keenan in Doylestown. They are fairly local to us.
  • Options
    kvraman1kvraman1 Member Posts: 19
    Hi!

I ordered a Odyssey back in January when the old invoice price was in effect. I have paid a deposit and have a receipt for the price we agreed upon. The vehicle is due to be build in the last week of March.

Now, since the prices have now increased, will the dealer honor the old price or will he charge me the new price.

Thanks
    kvr
  • Options
    There are a number of accessories or dealer ad ons for the odyssey? How do you know the invoice price for them. What web site gives that info?
  • Options
    That's up to your dealer - I would ask them.
  • Options
    cteng1cteng1 Member Posts: 8
    Paid $31,844 ($700 above invoice) for Sage Green/Ivory Touring w/o Nav/RES. Purchased at Balise Honda in W. Springfield, MA. Was quoted same exact price at two CT dealerships (Liberty Honda & Torrington Honda). All negotiation through email. Only dealer fees paid on top of sales price were $170 documentation fee. Other than that, only 6% CT sales tax and DMV fees. 4.39% financing for 60 months too.
  • Options
    > I'm a bit confused by your post. The price you are listing 35250 is for an EXL-RES-NAV? And that's $867 over invoice?

I'm talking about the "out the door" price:

invoice 30848.00 (EX-L NAV/RES)
    markup 866.83
    sunscreen 209.00
    fog lights 299.00
    tint 200.00
    D&H 515.00

price 32937.83
    tax 2126.36
    fees 185.80
    total 35249.99

The original post (#8919) has more info.

> Anyway if you think your model is rare then have you tried looking outside the DFW area? Within Texas and Oklahoma?

Ya, I'm considering it, although I'd hate to do this and then run into one of the myriad of problems that *some* people are running into (rattles, ABS, doors not working, NAV/DVD issues) and have to drive for hours to get these resolved. Unfortunately, I think that this is pretty common, even for models which are pretty reliable in general.

Thanks for your suggestion though!

ETA
  • Options
    We were just in the same situation: Had a trade (Toyota, in this case) and wanted an odyssey.
    I did all my price negotiations without even mentioning the trade. Once I got an acceptable offer and went in for the test drive I told them that I will buy the car today depending on what they offer for my trade.

At that stage they basically are motivated to sell you the car as long as you are reasonable with what you expect to get for your trade. KBB trade in seems like a good gauge but consider that they will not pay for "excellent" rated, rather "good" rated KBB price on a 2002 car.

Also, there is a forum here about real world trade in prices that is of help. You should check it out.

By the way we were able to get below MSRP on our EX-L RES and I got $200 less than desired on my trade.

Good luck!
    D.
  • Options
    Not at all: Commonwealth Honda in Lawrence, MA
  • Options
    ptchowptchow Member Posts: 14
    how do i locate the forum that talks about real world trade in prices?
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    For accessories - click on the H&A ad up above the discussion title on this page and you can price the accessories. They will be under what the dealer would charge you.
  • Options
    reuel3reuel3 Member Posts: 114
  • Options
    reuel3reuel3 Member Posts: 114
    The post above has the link you are looking for. Good luck!
  • Options
    sportymonksportymonk Member Posts: 258
    I went to A dealer in Durham Chapel Hill NC and test drove an Ody and Pilot. They offered to "do some figures" I said go ahead and they gave me $900 off MRSP and $4100 on my Impala LS. KBB in Fair condition (I think good is $4700) Went by Carmax and they gave me a no haggle appraisal they would buy for. $5100!

I would get an estimate from a local dealer if you are buying far away. (Tell them you are not buying) and then go to Carmax. With that info I would go to buy the new vehicle and be prepared to drive the old vehicle back. (i.e. don't go alone in the trade-in).

Selling yourself is time consuming and has its own risks. Maybe you could email a photo to the dealer.
  • Options
    josefazjosefaz Member Posts: 2
    We're in the the early process of making a 05 Odyssey purchase. Anyone know of a dealer the would give as unbeatable deal in the Phoenix area?
  • Options
    dsrtrat2dsrtrat2 Member Posts: 223
    A starting point is the internet sales department at Honda Cars of Mesa. They quoted me $1,000.00 over invoice plus the infamous doc. fee of $299.00. I'm not really quite ready to trade, so didn't go beyond that initial visit. From these posts it might make sense to check NM and CA.
  • Options
    jlgregoryjlgregory Member Posts: 2
    We just signed the deal on a black/black touring res nav for 35958 including extra headphones, floor mats, splash guards, wheel locks and cargo tray as well as dealer added profit of $99. It is our second car purchased from Schlossman's and bought from the same salesman - the top Honda salesman in Wisconsin for 04.

I would highly recommend trying them, but be prepared to listen to sales pitches for aftermarket rustproofing and leather treatment - he's good, so don't fall for it.

We are trading our 00 Ody EX so otd of just under 25k - not counting tax - we are buying from out of state, so we'll pay at time of titling. Were quoted similar prices in Chicago area but couldn't get the color we wanted.
  • Options
    bao1bao1 Member Posts: 55
    I am looking for the exact same Odyssey. The quote I have gotten range from 29669 to 31K. The low quote is only for one color, white. I took the advice from this forum and asked for a quote from the Indy area and they are coming in at around 29.7K. Most of the chicagoland area dealers didn't even want to compete against that number.
  • Options
    02jj02jj Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for Honda Odyssey LX. Is anyone out there got a good deal?
  • Options
    scottybscottyb Member Posts: 83
    "I'd hate to do this and then run into one of the myriad of problems that *some* people are running into (rattles, ABS, doors not working, NAV/DVD issues) and have to drive for hours to get these resolved"

I bought my van out of state and have had it into my local dealer 3 times for door issues (and a faulty front impact sensor). Local service dep't treats me like I bought the car here, even though they know I didn't buy van from them. Has offered loaners from day one, free car wash each time I visit, and attentive service. Like you, I also preferred to buy from dealer that would service van, but it has turned out to be a non-issue. You will be able to get your van serviced at your local Honda dealer.

Ironically, the local dealer was the one who took me on test drives and patiently answered questions. When it came time to buy, however, they were $3,100+ more than out-of-state dealer on this particular trim line (EX-L RES/NAV, which I bought at invoice + $100 doc from Classic Honda, Streetsboro, OH on 1/3/05; you can have van shipped anywhere).

Glad to see you decided on the RES/NAV; you'll be glad you did.
  • Options
    Good point -- I guess a local dealer will probably handle most problems (assuming I have any).

Things do come up though. When I bought my CRV last year, it had a slight scratch on it. I wasn't thrilled but the dealer promised to fix it asap. Had to drive 45 mins to have it done. When I got home I noticed that they'd gotten overspray all over the windscreen (it only showed once the sun hit from a certain angle) and on the driver's side door handle. Back to the dealer... I guess the local guys would have looked at this stuff but I'm sure they would have charged me their usual rate.

But, you've probably convinced me to look a bit further afield if necessary. I'll be sure to go over the vehicle with a fine toothcomb (a non-abrasive one of course) before I sign off on it :).

BTW, if people want a *thorough* check list for when they pick up their new Odyssey, check out the list that alexmish put together at this link (http://home.comcast.net/~2005odyfan/Checklist.html). Might be good to make a copy of this list on this site somewhere if alexmish is ok with that...

ETA
  • Options
    josefazjosefaz Member Posts: 2
    Received numerous calls from Honda Cars of Mesa and was quoted around $1500 over invoice. Based on what I read in this forum, I should get a better deal than. At the moment, we're still sending emails to dealers and try to get the best deal. We also thought of buying out of state but I think if you calculate all the hassle of shipping, registering the vehicle, paying the "use tax" in AZ, it comes out costing even more.
  • Options
    brittone2brittone2 Member Posts: 2
    We drove an Odyssey at a dealer last night. 29K was as low as they'd go on an EX-L (no nav or RES). Not good enough. I emailed several dealers last night and the price quotes are trickling in. So far the best has been 28,445, but that DOES include the destination fee. My goal was 28K or less, but I'm not sure if the prices I've seen quoted by others in my area included the destination charge, so I'm off to do more research.

They also mentioned a free oil change, lifetime free inspection, 10% off any service, etc. but we are soon relocating out of state. I emailed back asking if they'd add mudguards, cross bars, and wheel locks in exchange for the services they provide other customers since we won't be able to take advantage. The dealer we were at last night for the test drive agreed to match that price.

Still waiting on a quote from Keenan in Doylestown and Scott Honda of West Chester. Both have been mentioned in this forum as having good internet pricing. We shall see.

Any opinions from the East Coast experts out there? This is only the first day I've gotten quotes so we shall see what else they can come up with.
  • Options
    ickahogickahog Member Posts: 9
    I'm surprised to hear you say that you had similar quotes in Chicago area.Can you share that info as well? Your price is from what I can tell outstanding for this market.Congrats.
  • Options
    jethrojacksonjethrojackson Member Posts: 33
    What is the "RES" that folks keep referring to. I've looked through quite a few posts and feel out of the loop. :)

Thanks!
  • Options
    Rear Entertainment System
  • Options
    coresellercoreseller Member Posts: 40
    Another familiar question: Has anyone had luck getting a deal at or below invoice in the Cincy area? I'm looking for an EX-L, RES and Nav is still up in the air. I just drove up to Chicago to pick up a car for myself over the holidays so I'm not adverse to traveling to get one for the wife. I've tried the local internet quote without much luck, thanks.....Mark.