Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    nseminsemi Member Posts: 1
    wow! can anyone beat $30.4k? Thus far, that
    number is pretty good..I've shopped around,
    but can't seem to get the local dealers to
    go below $31K!!!
  • Options
    chewie5chewie5 Member Posts: 61
    Hey everyone,

I'm just starting to look around, and don't know if this is old news or not...I get the impression that most dealers want MSRP for the Touring RES/NAV, and are willing after negotiating to take $500 off.

I went to Manly Honda in Santa Rosa this past weekend. Of course, I got the spiel about how "we don't mark up like other dealers, we sell it for MSRP, so you're already saving $5000". We were only there to test drive, but he was very quick to offer "a few hundred" off MSRP, and not too much later asked what we'd think if he gave it to us at $1000 off MSRP. I hadn't mentioned anything about price or started negotiating. So, hopefully that is good news that when the time comes to buy, I hope that I'll be able to negotiate even more off!

Just thought I'd pass this along.
  • Options
    dklaasdbqdklaasdbq Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering if anyone in the midwest is currently working on numbers for a '05 EX-L RES/NAV. It lists out at $34,810 and my best discounted price thus far is $32,995. I understand that the vehicles are hard to find and may be in short supply. Should I pull the trigger or shop around? Also, anyone who owns a '05 EX-L RES/NAV, any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!
  • Options
    bao1bao1 Member Posts: 55
    Hi
    I am looking for almost the same car. No one in chicagoland wants to deal at invoice. Do you mind telling us what dealer you got that pricing from?
  • Options
    bridgeteschbridgetesch Member Posts: 14
    We live in Chicagoland and I couldn't get many people to deal. The best was O'Hare honda, but then it didn't seem like they had much in stock.

So, based on a post I read in this forum, we purchased from Voss Honda in Tipp City, OH. They gave it to us AT invoice - $27,548. (even was able to get one prior to the $400 increase). He didn't even charge for mudguards. All that was added was $15.50 for temporary tags, plus $100 doc prep fee. Then, he's charging us $196 to get it to our house in Glenview. It may be a little bit confusing, but it was worth the savings. The sales manager was extremely nice and straightforward.

I should get the car this Friday. Woo hoo!!!
  • Options
    seascapeseascape Member Posts: 8
    I started my research on Ody EX-L model about three weeks ago and I bought a Silver EX-L this past weekend. This forum is great help for me and I would like to thank everyone posted their experience in buying this great VAN. Now it is my turn to share my experience.

I started with the bay area Honda dealers (internet departments) and the most of the quotes I received were above $29,000. I followed some of the leads posted in this forum and received quotes from southern Cal dealers ranging from invoice to $29,000. So I decided to order one from a dealer in LA area since they do not have the color I want.

While waiting I got a call from a local dealer in bay area last Sunday (it was a rainy day, hint) and asked me if I am still interested in buying the VAN. So I told him the quote I got and he agreed to sell me the van a couple of hundred dollars above invoice with all season floor mats included.

After I talked with my friend it turned out most of the dealers sell their cars over the weekend. The floor is dead during the weekdays. Those two rainy days (last weekend) really affected their sales and they need to move the inventory. As the matter of the fact I was the first customer signing the deal at 4:00 pm in his office so I guess that is why they are more willing to negotiate.
  • Options
    dkb2dkb2 Member Posts: 8
    Yes, I am currently looking for the same vehicle as well. We live in the "greater" Indianapolis area. Just getting started shopping. I have a quote of a little over $33,000 from Penske in Indy. We are still shopping and are not opposed to going to surrounding states. I will let you know if I find a better deal and please do the same.
  • Options
    nanjnanj Member Posts: 6
    We are in the Indy area, too. It seems that in our shopping around experience, dealers close to Indy (up to Lafayette) are not coming off too much off the MSRP. They seem to want sticker and then will "throw in" the accessories.(We are shopping for a Touring RES & Nav.)I am currently negotiating with Hugh White Honda in Columbus, Ohio and the internet salesman is coming off about 8%. (It's hard to calculate exactly because of the accessories we are adding.)He's an extremely nice man to work with - so far! - the deal's not done yet. Penske gave me a quote of MSRP - I told him what Hugh White Honda is offering and he said, "Grab it." Another dealer certainly worth calling/emailing is College Hills Honda in Wooster, Ohio, up near Cleveland. The internet manager gave us a quote just a few dollars less than Hugh White in Columbus but it wasn't enough to warrant the extra drive time for us.
  • Options
    Thanks for the leads. We actually live in the Lafayette area. Seems better deals are around Indy than here. Since Illinois is so close, I may investigate some there.
    Thanks again.
  • Options
    microphonymicrophony Member Posts: 1
    Was this from Longbeach Honda? I got a low quote from them and thought "too good to be true"
    What did you end up doing?
  • Options
    laproflaprof Member Posts: 9
    I am interested in purchasing an odyssey LX. However, the best deal thus far is 25,500. This is essentially MSRP (the dealer added scotch guard, mud flaps, and a rear mat). Any idea how much to expect off of MSRP? Any dealer recommendations in Louisiana? thanks in advance for your help!
  • Options
    jpmmomjpmmom Member Posts: 2
    We bought a 2005 EXL w/ RES at Honda of Covington - had a great buying experience and got a great price. Good luck.
  • Options
    pho4upho4u Member Posts: 3
    I am too looking for a 2005 EXL-RES. Would you mind telling me how much you are paying?
  • Options
    jrc3jrc3 Member Posts: 1
    This sounds like a great deal. What dealership was this at and at what interest and # of yrs? How much was your monthly payment at the end of the day? Did this include the nav and DVD?
  • Options
    fishrules1000fishrules1000 Member Posts: 6
    Daddyd,

Thanks for your suggestion for Lawrence. I got an initial quoted price $500 over invoice from there. May I ask how much time/work it took to get down to the price you finally got? (trying to save as much $$ as possible, with our second child due in late August...hence we need the minivan). Any suggestions are most appreciated, my friend.

George
  • Options
    whodewhode Member Posts: 15
    For those who have bought out of state, how do you usually handle your trade in? Are there good alternatives to selling it privately before buying the new car from out of state (since you wouldn't want to drive far away only to get a lowball offer on the trade in)?
  • Options
    hound1hound1 Member Posts: 1
    We are in the Dallas area and are looking to buy the Odyssey EX but are not in a hurry to buy.
    A few questions:
    >Based on Honda's history, does anyone expect Honda to offer incentives like rebates or low interest rates on the Odyssey in the next 6 months or so?
    >Do the prices on the 2005 Odysseys typically get lower whenever the 2006 Odysseys come out?
    >When will the 2006 Odysseys be available?
  • Options
    plantmantbmcplantmantbmc Member Posts: 2
    Looking to purchase an EX Lwith RES in the upstate of SC. The best I can get so far is invoice + $1,000. Would like to get no more than $500 over invoice but have yet to find a dealer. Anybody had any luck?
  • Options
    yankeefan5yankeefan5 Member Posts: 2
    Although i do not live in the midwest, I am also looking for the same EX-L w/ DVD/ NAV. Best price i got so far was $32,295 on the internet. Am continuing to search for the best price, but want to purchase within the next 30 days. I too would like some feedback on NAV system and whether or not it is really worth the extra $$.
  • Options
    rugratncrugratnc Member Posts: 10
    I just picked up my Silver Ody tonight from Crown Honda in Greensboro. Overall, the deal went very well and I am very satisified with the experience. My out-the-door price was $31,000 even. This included the van, mud flaps, sunroof deflector, all weather mats, rear cargo mat, tires for life, 6 car detailing visits, admin fee, taxes and tags.

Would definetly recommend the internet manager and my salesperson. If you want more detailed information, please email me.

Thanks to everyone who posts here as the information was very helpful in helping me close the deal.
  • Options
    andretwandretw Member Posts: 1
    I think you are getting a good deal.
    Could you help send me the sales contact you had worked with on this deal?
    By the way, did they deliver it to austin? or you have to pick it up?

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    dklaasdbqdklaasdbq Member Posts: 2
    I was told by a few different dealers that the only "specials" for Odysseys usually occur during the first part of January. I am not sure about the prices coming down for the 05's when the '06's come out in September.
  • Options
    To try to answer your question about the Nav, my husband gave me a portable GPS for Christmas that I love. We have used it on long and short trips and it is worth the money he paid for it. It talks to you and tells you what side the freeway entrance is on, etc. That is one reason I wanted the Nav on the Odyssey that we are looking at since it is built in. My portable one has a suction cup that attaches to the windshield. It sometimes falls off unexpectedly with temperature changes. Even though, I would like a Honda Odyssey, a Dodge GC with leather and DVD can be had for at least $7000 less money. It doesn't have the GPS, rear camera and sunroof but geesh it is $7000 less! I agree that the Odyssey is more vehicle and better resale but we tend to keep one for years rather than trade in every 2-3. Probably more info than you wanted and maybe not exactly for the "pricing" forum. But if you have any thoughts on this one, I like to hear them. I am really struggling with the $7000 difference in the 2 vehicles. I can see paying $3000-3500 more but not 7K. Bottom line, I think the Navigation system is a good thing but I am not sure it is thousands of $$ more when the good portable ones can be had for around $1000.
  • Options
    melissapmelissap Member Posts: 1
    Rugratnc, I also live in Greensboro and was curious about your new Odyssey. Is it an EX or LX? What features does it include? Also did you trade in a car, if so, do you think you got a good deal on that? I'm just curious about Crown Honda and how they treat their customers. Any info would be appeciated, enjoy your new minivan!
  • Options
    wayfarerwayfarer Member Posts: 2
    After three weeks of internet and phone shopping of dealer quotes in my area, I was able to buy a Silver Odyssey EX cloth for $25300 ($27325.50 out the door w/taxes, document fees and 4 yr registration). Picked it up at VIP Honda on Route 22 in North Plainfield, NJ. Paid in cash and was a very pleasant experience, no gimmicks or games.
  • Options
    b_radb_rad Member Posts: 38
    Best deal in Central Texas I could find was at Greg May Honda in Waco. Beat all the Austin area dealers. Just above invoice. I spent too much time with the clowns here in Austin. It's only an hour and a half away. Did everything over the phone and by fax.
  • Options
    rugratncrugratnc Member Posts: 10
    It is the EXL w/RES which has the leather and DVD but no navigation. I am trading in a car, but they really didn't want it although I think they could have made a good profit off of it. The deal they gave me was good either way with or without a trade. So I took my trade in to CarMax and they offered me more. So I sold it there and bought the van without trade. I dealt initially with the Internet Manager and she had me work with one of her top salespeople. I was very satisfied with the experience and the overall deal. I am not sure how Flow Honda would be but they have a lot of vans on their lot.
  • Options
    rashdirrashdir Member Posts: 29
    It's good that you found a better deal outside Austin. When I was looking the Austin and Bryan dealers were stuck at MSRP and refused to budge.

I guess there were enough people buying at MSRP in Austin/Bryan so they don't care about competition.
  • Options
    dc0027dc0027 Member Posts: 11
    Do NOT let the sales person fool you.
    The going price in Dallas area is either one dollas over invoice (maybe with add-ons) or $26,000 with some suff (tray/lock/pink stripe, etc).
    The mistake I made was trusting the salesman I bought my previous Ody from. I showed him Edmunds' post of Lute Riley deal. The guy from Lute Riley told me it was impossible (crazy) and I believed him thinking anyone can say anything on Internet. Later I found out all my friends got deals mentioned above at other dealers in Feb. Too late for me ($800-$1,300 too late), sigh.
  • Options
    noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    There is no way of knowing how prices will change when the '06 comes out in the fall. The MSRP will depend on any changes to content/equipment, and selling price will be more a factor of supply and demand. When the Odyssey was redesigned in '99 the price did not go down in '00 because demand outpaced supply. I wouldn't really expect prices to change much between '05 and '06.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    " Do NOT let the sales person fool you"

Good advise.

Also, do NOT believe all of these prices you read about on the internet.
  • Options
    "Also, do NOT believe all of these prices you read about on the internet."

I believe that prices on the internet are more reliable than *SOME* salespeople's prices. I haven't dealt with isellhondas so I cannot claim how reliable your prices are. :-)
  • Options
    b_radb_rad Member Posts: 38
    The ONLY Honda dealer that I found that would sell close to invoice was David McDavid in Friscoe north of Dallas/FTW. The rest of the area dealers had add-ons and the best deal ended up $600 over invoice. David McDavid was $150.00 over. I ended up in Waco at $200 to avoid a three plus hours travel thinking my time was worth $50.00.
    EX cloth ended up $27,466 Turn-key/Drive out last week.
  • Options
    ntankntank Member Posts: 1
    Just bought EXL and the dealer was trying to sell extended warranty for $1500. I told him that one of my friend got it for $1075 (I read your post earlier :-) ) and he said that is impossible. I said fine if you cannot give me 7 yrs. 100K Honda warranty for $1075 i will get it from some place else.

Now, I want the warranty, can you give me more info on getting Honda's Extended Warranty (100k / 7 yrs) at $1075 from Pohanka Honda. When did you buy it? Can I get the same price? It is Honda's warranty and not from third party?

Thanks for you help
  • Options
    daddyddaddyd Member Posts: 22
    Goerge,

it did take some time but not more than a week or two.
    Their slogan is "shop us last...". I did shop them in parallel with other dealers and once I had an invoice offer they did beat it, which in return ended my shopping around.

I started getting quotes in the beginning of February and we bought the van early March.

Good luck!
  • Options
    opowelloopowello Member Posts: 2
    I don't think I can post direct dealer contacts to the board, but you can contact me at opowello@yahoo.com if you want that info.

They did not deliver the vehicle to Austin (but I didn't ask if that was an option either), but the pretty accessible from Austin. I chose not to trade as I figured I'd get the lowball offer if they knew I was travelling a reasonable distance and ready to purchase. Instead, I just carpooled up.

It is also good to hear others are refusing to pay the high Austin markups as well...
  • Options
    dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    HondaCare warranty is avaialable at near-cost from several dealerships. You can see the "Honda Extended Warranties: Pricing and Info" forum here on Edmunds for information on these dealers.

Yes, anyone can buy the HondaCare warranty for $1,075 from Pohanka Honda of Salisbury, Maryland at any time. The finance manager there sells it at this price to anyone who asks. I'm afraid I can't post her name in Edmunds forum since it's prohibited here. But if you call Pohanka and ask for a finance manager, hopefully you'll get to her. If not, post a message here and I'll e-mail you the name. Good luck.
  • Options
    teltel Member Posts: 6
    Hi, I'm interested in the dealership you went to in Greensboro...also, what is the tax rate and fees you paid to make up the $31K?
    Thank you.
  • Options
    kluukluu Member Posts: 2
    Andrew...I am looking for almost the same car. Do you mind telling us out the door price you paid for that van? Thanks.
  • Options
    bridgeteschbridgetesch Member Posts: 14
    Do you guys know if there are certain colors that are more popular than others, and therefore more expensive? Specifically, the Sage Brush Pearl (dark green) or the gold (Desert Sand?) are the two we're looking at.
  • Options
    The most popular color is silver. Honda doesn't charge color premium. I think Toyota does for the Sienna's Silver Pearl Metallic(or something similar).

If a color is more popular all the manufacturer does is make more of those.
  • Options
    seamonkeyseamonkey Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me the lowest price paid that has has been posted for a EXL-Res?
  • Options
    lcd1lcd1 Member Posts: 147
    I asked for a quote for a Touring model with Navigation and Entertainment system. Pohanka in Marlow Height, MD said they have an EXL $35758.00 plus Tax & Tags. They claimed that the invoice price is $34558.00 and MSRP is $38810.00.

It appears that the quote given is for an EX with leather and Nav and DVD, not the Touring that I asked for. Could anyone tell me what EXL model actually is and if the price is reasonable. Thanks.
  • Options
    drgiddyupdrgiddyup Member Posts: 1
    I bought a LX for $23,200 + TTL last week at Westside Honda in Knoxville, Tennessee.

Airport Honda in Knoxville is corrupt. They tried a majority of gimmicks listed at www.carbuyertips.com.

My advice:

Don't believe any prices you read or hear. Go pound the pavement & visit as many Honda dealerships as possible. Don't settle for any price until 3-4 dealerships have firmly rejected an offer slightly lower. COMPARE shop, COMPARE shop, and COMPARE shop some more. There's no substitute for this. Dealerships hate it because they can't rip you off when you do this. They'll say ridiculous things like 'you are not dealing with us in good faith', etc.

A majority of places said "these Odysseys are flying off the lots.....we sell them before we even get here". It sounded believable until I noticed that many Odysseys had 50+ miles on them. That's a lot of test drives without a sale.

Lastly, don't do the internet thing. Very few places will actually give you a quote, and many of those are not legitimate. You will simply get a zillion phone calls from dealerships. In person it's difficult to get a non-BS answer.....do you think you'll get a straight answer over the phone or email? Over the phone or internet they will say ANYTHING to get you to come out to their dealership. It's funny how the story changes when you actually arrive.
  • Options
    yaskyyasky Member Posts: 9
    Just started the shopping craziness. First visit to check out the Ody and we're leaning towards the EX-L RES/NAV. In the Dallas area, Bankston quoted me $33K without having one on site. It's close to your 32,995 quote. I felt that the 33 quote was really off the cuff so there's probably room to move.
  • Options
    Is there any posts that confirms/refutes conventional wisdom for best times to buy?

Dealers more apt to deal when...
    -rainy weekend vs weekday: slow traffic?
    -end of month: to meet sales targets?
    -end of quarter: same as end of month, but more pressure?
    -end of day: want to book a sale?

Checked out the Ody and the Sienna -- both salesmen were very green (i.e. 2 weeks or less on the job).
  • Options
    renald88renald88 Member Posts: 1
    Thank you for everyone's input so I luckly brought a Odyssey EX today at invoice price. But the saleman wants to sell us a 7yrs/75K warranty for $760 ($50 deductable). After a little thinking, we take this offer and now we would like to ask friends here to see if it is a good deal. We did not "fight" hard to get 0 deductable since the Odyssey price is at Invoice level and it saved us a lot of time to shop around for a Toyota Sienna. Thanks in advance for any help!
  • Options
    Have you tried other surrounding cities? Tyler, Waco, or even OK? Haven't started combing the DFW area dealers for the same EX-L NAV/RES model.
  • Options
    etaeta Member Posts: 33
    Well, per my more recent post, I put a deposit down on an EX-L N/R which should be built in about 1 month.

Maybe I'm pessimistic but I'm still skeptical that I'll ever take possession of this vehicle -- I didn't sign a buyers order and I've heard stories of incoming vehicles being sold to someone else who offers more...

If that happens we'll be back to square one and I'll possibly have to consider looking (well) outside of the DFW area, or consider other makes/models...

ETA
  • Options
    jessica5jessica5 Member Posts: 5
    We purchased our '05 Touring for $32525 + tax & license, then we purchased warranty for another $1100 6yrs. We purchased at Fairfield Honda. I understand you're looking for the EX-L, but you can use my price as something to go on (EXL RES should be close). They were great! Vacaville was going to sell it to me for $32488, but I was happy w/ our sales guy in Fairfield.

Good luck!