Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    pamvanpamvan Member Posts: 9
    Thank you for the information. I appreciate your detailed reply. We are looking for exactly what you have discussed.
  • Options
    kvraman1kvraman1 Member Posts: 19
    Hi hondaguy

I placed an order in the first week of January. My dealer hasnt given me an exact build date but this week he told me it is going to be build in early April. Is there any way to check whether the order has been placed? I called HondaUsa and they said they cannot do it. My email is on my id. It is probably preferable to take this discussion offline.

Thanks
    VK
  • Options
    northvabuyernorthvabuyer Member Posts: 4
    I agree tax rate won't matter. Under the same thought the other peripheral charges don't matter to me either. The MD dealer price scheme includes 30,299 for the vehicle plus 515 destination, 3% tax 927.42, 116.00 tags and registration, and 100.00 processing fee. The matching VA dealer said they would simply match the out the door price of 31,957. It doesn't matter to me what they do to reach a matching bottom line out the door price. They most likely have to lower the vehicle price because they charge a 3.17% tax rate a little more on the processing fee. At this point I feel like I have a fair price, considering the market today, and the fact I need to get a new vehicle soon.
  • Options
    fhymsonfhymson Member Posts: 3
    Can you let me know the names of the 2 dealers in PA, as I am going to be buying an Odyssey at the end of this month and also live in PA.

Thanks.
  • Options
    lopcheunglopcheung Member Posts: 7
    We also just bought our Odyssey from Yuba City Honda this past weekend thanks to a posting I saw on edmunds last week.
    We got the Touring with DVD and Nav. All negotiations were done via email. After establishing a price, we drove 2.5 hours from the peninsula to pick up our van. The experience was great and hassle-free.
    We paid $36058 plus tax/license/doc (about $900 over the new invoice price/$3000 below MSRP).
    Just as a side, before we drove up, my wife and I called about 7 different bay area dealerships asking them if they could match our quote. About half of these dealership laughed and the rest said we should hurry on up to Yuba City to buy it. They all said that nobody was offering the Touring w/R&N much below sticker.
    This was by far our best experience purchasing a vehicle. The internet sales manager was courteous and helpful. We even got a good deal on a trade-in so we didn't have to drive 2 cars home. This dealership is certainly worth checking out.
  • Options
    bridgeteschbridgetesch Member Posts: 14
    I am in the market for a 2005 EX with leather. I live in the Chicagoland area. I don't see the invoice price on Edmunds anymore?? Does anyone know the invoice price, and a price I should expect to pay? It looks like the MSRP is $30,495.

Also, how do you go about working with internet dealers? I've submitted a request through Edmunds to get quotes from 3 different dealers. Will they even be reasonable? I am probably seen by them as an easy target (busy mom of 3 with not much free time to shop) so I need to make sure I don't get taken advantage of.

THANKS!!!
  • Options
    skynsfnskynsfn Member Posts: 15
    Hi - the first is Keenan Honda in Doylestown - the internet manager there has been awesome to work with - we have corresponded only thru the internet and he has been very patient and quick to respond. I apologize, the $29,800 was a Feb. quote he gave me before the $200 price increase and it is now $29,987 thru March 31st. That is for an EX-L with DVD. I had to recheck my emails and dates and had forgotten about the $200 increase. I will still probably buy from them. The other dealer I have been working with is Scott Honda and Conicelli (sp?) Honda, first in West Chester and second in Norristown - I will doublecheck my emails and see if I can find which one was lower and let you know. But Keenan has been much better to work with overall.

I hope that helps - let me know also what you find out as we are still trying to sell our Explorer before we purchase or lease.
  • Options
    Hi - I am a Mom of a newborn and a 3 year old so I understand - I have found the internet people to actually be giving me lower prices than the sales department people, which surprised me. If you stay on here, keep apprised of what people of paying, I don't think you will get taken advantage of - this is a great board for information gathering and so much easier than going into the dealer. The internet people have been great at not asking me to come in - it's the sales people that want me in - I just respond with, I have a baby and a 3 year old, trust me, YOU don't want me in there, I'm better at getting this done over the internet and/or the phone and they seem to back off. I also strongly feel that by not going into the dealer, I'm not going to get sucked into something, that's why they want you to come in, it's harder to resist - I know if I see the car again, I will want it no matter what, so doing it long distance has really helped my negotiations and helped me keep a level head. Good luck.
  • Options
    skysaabskysaab Member Posts: 32
    Glad you are looking at the best of truck of the year. I just got my 2005 EX-L at march 5. I am living chicago area too. Hope my experience can share. I did send out couples request to 6 dealer. Thru edmunds, msn also cars. Most of them reply me quick with reasonable first quote. After I got thier first quote, then I ask again for thier best offer also give them what's my idea price I want to pay. 3 out of 6 gave me thier best price drop a little bit. Then I choose the lowest one to call them and set up schedule for test drive.
    Valley Honda was the one gave me the lowest quote at the first time, it's $2500 under MSRP. And the sales did call me almost everyday to see if I interested. Continental Honda Has the send place at the first time but gave me the lowest at the second time for $28245, all incluse destination charge. Their sales were nice to talk. Grand Honda was the third place at $28250 and willing to give out $2700 coupon and free loaner if I purchare from them. Napleton Honda refered from edmunds didn't give me good price and sounds not interested on my request. Mcgrath Honda was very nice to talk to me thru. email but thier quote was high at $29500. The last, I choose Honda of Lisle because thier plenty selection for every color in-stock. Also provide free dinner for just coming for demostration. Final they gave me $28080. And discound for install accessories. I do believe that you can get very good deal if you choose the car they have in stock. And internet was one great tool for doing the car shopping. This was the third times I used for shopping. Wish you good luck and enjoy the car shopping.
  • Options
    rashdirrashdir Member Posts: 29
    If you haven't decided on color or model then visit the closest dealer and do all that. Don't talk about price.

Next go to hondacars.com and locate dealers close to your area and send them all e-mail's. Most of the good internet departments will provide you a quote over e-mail without even calling you.

Take the lowest offer and ask the other's if they are going to beat (or match) it.

This worked for me.
  • Options
    keysdiggskeysdiggs Member Posts: 12
    We finally got our sage brush pearl EX-L from the only dealer who would sell it to us at invoice. We drove 200 miles each way to get an out of the door price of $28,615.57. I dealt with the owner's son via email and telephone for about 2 weeks. John Hoover Honda in Danville, Virginia is the best!!!

There were no tricks just treats and the finance guy was easy to work with, He was able to beat our 4.69% apr with 4.35%.

Reading the Honda Ody forum was extremely helpful and enjoyable at the same time.

Thanks a million.
  • Options
    mjill1mjill1 Member Posts: 5
    Can you name the dealership in Harrisburg that you purchased your vehicle and was this an internet sale? Thanks
  • Options
    050298050298 Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone, need some experienced opinions. I am looking for an 05 Ody with leather only and have received several quotes from dealers via Internet in DFW area...all around the same price $28,948-28,448. BUT...I received a quote from Jim McNatt in Desoto for $27,034 and was wondering if they are pulling a fast one on me?

Anyone have an opinion? Where's a good/fair place to buy and how much should I be looking to pay? (Mom of almost 3 so I don't want them to think they can take advantage of me).

Thanks!!
  • Options
    rashdirrashdir Member Posts: 29
    How about asking Jim McNatt to fax you a buyer's order with the price? If you get one then they are probably serious about doing a deal. If they ask you to come to the dealership to talk then I would refuse to deal with them.

I noticed that DFW dealers like to provide quotes in the 1200 to 1900 over invoice range when I was looking. Is it a coincidence, probably not.

The same dealer provides a different quote depending on when you ask and their supply/demand status.
  • Options
    dzubadzuba Member Posts: 159
    A few months ago the 05 EX - Leather,Nav,DVD had an invoice price of $30,964 plus $515 Destination, today Edmunds does not have invoice pricing on this site, and KBB has it for $500.00 less at $30,448 plus $515.

Did Honda drop their price $516.00?
  • Options
    cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    No, they raised prices on February 14. The "old" invoice for an EX-L R&N was $30,9xx (including destination charge) as I recall.

It seems likely your months old invoice number of $30,964 was probably the TOTAL invoice including the destination fee.
  • Options
    bridgeteschbridgetesch Member Posts: 14
    I got a couple quotes already myself (also, mom of 3 in your same shoes!!).

Here were my 3 internet quotes:
    O'Hare Honda: $27,750.00 - includes Destination Charge, but not the Tax, Title, License Plates, Etc (he said this was only for cars left with the old invoice price otherwise a $400 difference)

Muller Highland Park Honda: $28,448.00 (but he said it was negotiable)

Napleton Honda: $29,095.00

So, it does sound like the $27,034 is a good one. I'm not extremely experience in this shopping stuff yet, so I'm curious to see what others say.

Bridget
  • Options
    jenyh2jenyh2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi glm and lopcheung,

I am also in the SF Bay Area, and shopping for an Odyssey EX. Can you send me the name & e-mail address of the internet sales manager you talked to in Yuba City Honda? (My e-mail is in the profile.)

What's the difference in prices between Yuba Honda & local bay area dealerships? Thanks!
  • Options
    mangovanmangovan Member Posts: 2
    Hi glm and lopcheung,
    It seems like you had really good experience with Yuba City Honda people. But somehow, I sent them multiple emails for Odyssey-EXL model, but no reply. I did not want to call anybody on phone, hence just waiting for reply!
    I am also interested to know the name of the Internet Sales Manager with whom you dealt. My email id is in my name.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    vinnytvinnyt Member Posts: 4
    I live in New Jersey and got my first quote for an Odyssey EX-L from a dealer in Lakewood. The price he gave me was $28,710. Does anyone know information about the invoice price for a 2005 Odyssey EX-L? Also what is the difference between the "old" 2005 Odyssey and the "new" 2005 Odyssey other than the "old" ones were presumably built before Feb. 14th 2005?
  • Options
    deblesfamdeblesfam Member Posts: 2
    Just sent out for quotes(11) from KY to AL on an Odyssey EXL-R&N last night. I've only received a few responses so far. I plan to call back to several on Monday. So far my best is $33,414.31. This includes Destination Charge, Paint Sealant, Pinstripes and Mud Guards. I'm curious if anyone knows of any dealers (I'll go from Huntsville, AL to Bowling Green, KY) that will better this price. I'm quite new at this and could use all the help I can get.

Just want to say this sight is definitely the "Yoda" of how to by a vehicle. I've been dreading the hassles I would face with salespeople. So far the experience has been good but I'm not sure what I'm going to do to down the road to get myself the fair price.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
  • Options
    lgiglio1lgiglio1 Member Posts: 1
    Was this an EXL with RES? We just looked at a lease with a price of 29450 for 48 months and 15k a year and it was $414 a month? Did you do 12 or 15K miles a year? Where did you purchase it? Thanks.
  • Options
    jeffreywilensjeffreywilens Member Posts: 10
    I was able to purchase a Touring NAV/RES model for $1,000 over invoice ($36,137 + tax/license) in Southern California. There appear to be multiple dealers willing to bargain although many (most) are still refusing. This email may be a little long, but it hopefully will prove helpful to California residents looking to buy at close to invoice. Here's what I did:

1. Using the Honda website list of dealers, I went to the websites of some 25 Southern Cal dealerships and a couple from Arizona and Nevada and emailed the "Internet" sales office.

2. At that time, I was actually looking for the EX-L NAV/RES but eventually grabbed a loaded Touring instead as you will see below.

3. Initially, I was not surprised to get 5-10 emails back offering me a special Internet price of.......sticker. And there seemed to be few dealers with the loaded EX or Touring. However, there were a few local dealerships asking as low as $33,210. The best price was a Phoenix dealer at $32,920 but the Doc fee was $299 (versus the fixed California charge of $45) so that was really a $33,360 offer. Plus he had 4 or 5 loaded EX vans in stock so I had my choice of colors. A Vegas dealer offered $32,610 but wanted $616 for doc!

4. Those looked pretty good and I was considering buying out of state as others have done, but in the next 24 hours, the quotes got better and closer to home. I got a $32,610 offer from Kolbe Honda in Reseda.

5. Then I got a great quote from Miller Honda in Culver City, $32,163 ($800 over invoice). Miller Honda was also willing to sell the loaded Touring for $36,137 ($1,000 over invoice). Unfortunately, neither was in stock. I went ahead and ordered the EX-L NAV/RES which was scheduled to arive in 3-4 weeks (there was no delivery date on a touring).

6. Meanwhile, I kept getting calls and emails from other dealers. One of them, Moreno Valley Honda, was willing to match the Miller Honda prices. They didn't have an EX but they had a loaded Touring with 15 miles. I drove out (45 minutes) and bought it the next day for $1,000 over invoice (and cancelled the Miller Honda order).

Just 2-3 months ago, the odds of getting a loaded Touring in California for much less than sticker were very small. Still there are lots of Honda dealers, probably most, trying to keep discounting to a minimum.

I was skeptical but the mass emailing trick definitely worked and I uncovered several dealers who were willing to compete aggressively on price, even though the supply is still very limited for the NAV/RES models. That doesn't seem to matter, they know more are coming in the next couple months and the Internet sales teams just want to make the sales now.
  • Options
    Was yours with RES? If so, that is a great deal. My best lease price/quote so far is $29890 for 36 months/15k a year at $490 - that $490 includes the sales tax as well and $1k down (license, titles and first payment).
  • Options
    cliffscliffs Member Posts: 5
    Purchased an LX for 23,695 + tax and doc fees with 7 yr., 100,000 warranty included at Roush Honda in Columbus, Ohio. Best purchase experience of my life! Have used GM discount in past and this experience was better! Got quotes as low as $23,550 + tax and doc fees, but warranty closed the deal. Looking forward to being a long time Honda owner from here out. GM is in major trouble!

Cliff S
  • Options
    avarkeyavarkey Member Posts: 15
    I bought EX-L from Garden state Honda for $27450 including destination charge. The other dealer selling at this price is Honda of Essex.I got names of these dealers fro this forum and it helped me in negotiating the price. The Finance guy tried to sell me the Honda care warranty 7/75K for $1100 and I refused. He said that if you don't use the warranty for any repair work, Honda will pay policy amount back at the end of the 7th year. Is that true ?
  • Options
    kohlkohl Member Posts: 3
    I have what seem to be very good quote: $27,548 (including destination + tax, ttl and lic).

I am somewhat skeptical as ALL the other quotes in the region have been nowhere near this price and the other dealers have all said 'if they've quoted you that price don't walk but run to that dealer!'

It sounds too good to be true. I re-confirmed it with them and sounds legit. The only thing 'extra' I'd have to pay is for the
    crossbars, mud guards and locking lug nuts and they say they'll give me those 'at cost'.

And if I pay "cost" what should that be?

They have what I need instock as well.
    Should I insist they throw in the 'extras' or are they being reasonable enough?

By reading other posts it seems as if it a Good Buy.

Thanks,
    K
  • Options
    The "cost" of those three accessories should be about $300. The quoted vehicle price is the old (pre-2/14) invoice.

Hard to see how it can get any better.
  • Options
    seascapeseascape Member Posts: 8
    Hi,

I am also on the market buying EX-L. You seems got very good deal from what I have seen so far. Would mind share your dealer contacts.
  • Options
    aleale Member Posts: 16
    I am thinking of maybe doing the same thing - Leasing an EXL-RES. Where did you lease the car from and who was your lease with?

Thanks
  • Options
    bao1bao1 Member Posts: 55
    Hi
    I am looking to buy an EXL-RES Odyssey by the end of the month. Anyone have experiences with local Chicago dealers? I am contemplating flying to Ohio to get a better deal unless there's a local dealer willing to match the prices from Ohio dealers that I have seen on this board.
  • Options
    jah2jah2 Member Posts: 2
    What are the best quotes received for a 7-year 100,000 mile warranty for an EX-L RES?
  • Options
    jah2jah2 Member Posts: 2
    Stop off in the Indianoplis area before going to Ohio. Penske in Carmel is extremely competitive.
  • Options
    jian1jian1 Member Posts: 1
    I guess it is my turn to share the information. I bought a 2005 EX-L Odyssey at Anderson Honda of Palo Alto. Price break down:
    (1) 2005 EX-L Odyssey: 28,500 (Dest Included)
    (2) Splash Guard: 126
    (3) Doc Prep: 45
    (4) Tax (depends on DMV resident address)
    (5) DMV ($2xx), CA Tire Fee(less than $9).
    (6) 7YRS/100K, 0 deductible with refund clause: 1,260

No trade in

Hope this information help.
  • Options
    rugratncrugratnc Member Posts: 10
    I have been lurking in the shadows for months reading all the posts and made an offer on a Silver/Gray EXL-RES last week.

I took a slightly different approach in making my offer. Since I have a trade-in, I knew I was going to get into the give and take game of offering more/less for trade-in and more/less for the van. So, instead, I chose to determine what I considered to be reasonable numbers for both my trade in and the van and figure out the monthly payment. I then called the dealer and gave them my monthly payment amount to see if they could make all the numbers work. I really didn't care how they valued everything as long as the bottom line was my monthly payment. Here were my assumptions:

2005 Honda EXL-RES: $28,900.32
    Document Fees: $200.00
    Taxes (3%): $867.00
    Tags: $50.00
    Total Price (OTD): $30,017.32

I told them to assume a 5% interest rate with a 60 monthy loan for a monthly payment of $566.46. My offer to them was $565.00/month to which they have agreed.

I am going tonight to pick up a demo as my wife has yet to actually drive one, but upon returning the demo I plan to finalize the deal. They have given me verbal approval on my offer over the phone. Anyone see anything wrong with any of my numbers? This is a good deal...correct?
  • Options
    tapnellajtapnellaj Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone had any buying experiences on EAST coast more interested in VA Beach area/ norfolk. All I am getting "market is still too hot" reply's,

looking for help,

Jay
  • Options
    tapnellajtapnellaj Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone bought on the east coast recently. I am getting nowhere and can't get anybody near the prices everyone is talking about. I need some help/research.

Jay
  • Options
    daddyddaddyd Member Posts: 22
    Okay, first of all thanks to all the people who posted on this forum, as I would have had no idea how to get such a great deal on the ODDY.

I was originally looking for an EX-L and started negotiating with dealers by e-mail. Contacted all the dealers within 100 miles and narrowed the field down to 3 pretty early in the game. Long story short, got a quote for an EX-L for $27348,- plus $99,- doc fee (end of February). We went in and test drove a car and were still not sure about what color we want. Finally decided on Ocean Mist/gray interior (best interior and exterior combination, in my opinion). The dealer looked into what was coming in but non in that combination was on their list. During the next 3-4 day's they tried to locate a trade with another dealer in the area but that didn't seem to really yield any results. I finally talked to the sales person and told him I would possibly consider one with the RES, just to broaden the search. He told me that they just had one delivered and he would be willing to sell it for $1300 above the EX-L we were looking for. Total came to $28648,- (before fees and tax), which I think is a great deal! They even threw in a set of all weather mats. The car was still wrapped in the white foil when I checked it out; build date February 05 and only 2 miles on it!! The rest is history....

A few observations: I have driven and owned many nice new cars (Benz, Audi, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen, Saab,..) and can say for sure that this is the most impressive ride so far. Very smooth and sophisticated. Great quality feel. Excellent ride and response. With less than 100 miles so far, there were no rattles, etc.

There were a few minor issues: The RES screen didn't come on on the drive from the dealer (big bummer for my 3 year old). Turns out, they hadn't put in the fuse no. 11!!! I found it out and did it myself once we got home.
    On the passenger door the inside window rubber molding was misaligned/not in place but it was a piece of cake to push it into the right position.

I was worried about the variable cylinder management thing but couldn't detect it at all during driving. We'll see how fuel economy will be. I am warned by what has been reported on the forum. Driving on the freeway I noticed that when put in cruise at 70 MPH the ECO light was on most of the time (the car was running on 3 cylinders). I thought that was interesting. Anyway, great van and overall buying experince.

D.
  • Options
    avhavh Member Posts: 2
    I am in search for Odyssey EX-L w/RES in Austin, TX ... Dealers here given me quite high price (32K + TTL)! I don't mind to search in other cities (Waco, San Antonio, Houston, Dalas ....) What is the reasonable price should I look for? and any particular dealers you recommend? Thank you.
  • Options
    dzubadzuba Member Posts: 159
    Did they really raise their price to the dealers on 2/14 - as my dealer is telling me?

Almost $500.00 on the Touring model......
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Actually the eco light does not mean the car is running on 3 cylinders, it just means that the car is running efficiently.
  • Options
    oly44011oly44011 Member Posts: 11
    Read my post #9018. Contact the internet sales manager, buy a ticket from south west and save your self some money.
  • Options
    sam965sam965 Member Posts: 1
    I live in mid Michigan has any one have any experience buying an 05 Odyssey EX in Southern Michigan or nearby states (Ohio, Indiana).
  • Options
    avhavh Member Posts: 2
    oly44011, I can't locate post #9018?
  • Options
    Yes, dealers got squeezed by Honda. While MSRP went up $200 on all Odysseys, the invoice prices went up on a sliding scale with the highest boost being to the Touring R&N (about $600).

If you're looking for a base Touring, there are plenty of old (pre-2/14) sticker units around, at least in Ohio.
  • Options
    oly44011oly44011 Member Posts: 11
    We picked up our EX-L-RES @ Jack Matia is Elyria OH for $8 over invoice. The total was $28995 plus tax, doc and title. The internet sales manager was great to work with.
    INCLUDING destination fee
  • Options
    Does that include destination charge, or did you have to add that as well?

It seems around here I'm being told by most dealers that $29,4xx is invoice on the EXL-RES - does anyone have/heard anything different/similar?
  • Options
    My guess is 9018 was deleted since, if I remember it had a sales person's name in it. Just a guess.
  • Options
    The best I've seen listed on this board is $1,050, some have said that is cost, I personally do not know. I have also seen that listed with 7/100 and 7/75, but more with the 7/100. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    The only way it all works out is if the EXL-RES went up $400 with the Feb. price increase, now making the invoice $29,387 (includes $515 destination charge). I thought they all went up $200, but maybe it didn't based on earlier messages. I have a quote of $29,987 on an EXL-RES which my dealer told me was $600 above invoice and I'm thinking of calling it day and getting it tomorrow. I can't get anyone else to budge and this dealer has it in the color/combo I want so I'm think I'm ready to end this now 6 week process of haggling.