2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Such information has been posted repeatedly on this thread - just read all the posts from the past 6 months.

Consumers in the Chicago area have reported very favorable prices.
  • Options
    Price is invariable a function of supply and demand. If you want to pay closer to invoice, try stores here in Ohio.
  • Options
    rcmxrcmx Member Posts: 7
    Any particular dealers that you might recommend in OHIO?

Cinn or Cleve area?
  • Options
    sec2sec2 Member Posts: 14
    With the options I am looking for (cross bars, splash guards, door edge guards, wheel locks, fenderwell trim, cargo mat, floor mats, cargo tray, steering wheel cover, auto d/n mirror), the best out-the-door quote I have received so far is $36,470 (from Sport Honda in Silver Spring). Based on other reported quotes here, this seems high; however, the quote seems (somewhat) consistent with the (pre-tax/tags) Edmunds TMV of $33,400 (the Edmunds system wouldn't allow me to enter the optional equipment, which totals about $1,500). Any thoughts on this quote? Am I missing something? Any experiences with Sport Honda? Any experiences with Ourisman Honda in Bethesda? Thanks.
  • Options
    superdave92128superdave92128 Member Posts: 1
    2006 EX-L White with wheel locks, cargo tray, mud flaps for $27,600 + tax + license from Spreen Honda in Loma Linda California. I drove up from San Diego and the better deals came from greater Los Angeles area. Salesperson said that only White vehicle she could find to trade for already had crossbars attached to the roof rail and that I could have them at her cost of $300. Got hosed on that one but was in didn't want to wait an extra day.
    Finance guy misrepresented his cost on a 8yr 120,000 warranty as $1800 passed on that planning to use the internet. Overall an OK experience.
  • Options
    oralmeddocoralmeddoc Member Posts: 13
    If you don't mind the drive, give a call or email to Faulkner Honda in Harrisburg PA. I paid less for a 2006 Touring with NAV/RES back in November (search for my earlier post back then)than what you were quoted for EX-L with NAV/RES. Not sure what they will do for you now, but it's worth a call. My experience was hassle free...no bs, no bait and switch, everything was agreed to on phone and everything was on the straight and narrow when I arrived. They have my highest recommendation.
  • Options
    Prices are good just about all over the state. I'm not as familiar with the stores in Cincinnati as the ones NE. Try Jay in Bedford, Classic in Streetsboro, The Honda Store in Youngstown, or Park in Akron (to name just a few).

In the Columbus area, the best prices I've seen have been at Hugh White and Marysville Honda.

Really, a batch of emails should quickly tell you if the trip would be worthwhile.
  • Options
    Thanks, oralmeddoc. I had seen your post earlier (or someone else's) recommending Faulkner, and I sent them an email a few hours ago. They just came back with a $33,595 out-the-door quote. Did you get any kind of extended warranty? They are quoting $2,460 for an 8 yr./120k mi./$0 deductible Honda Care warranty.
  • Options
    planeartplaneart Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2006 EX-L w/o DVD or Nav at Ed Voyles Honda in ATL. I requested prices from about 6 dealers with the Edmunds online quote tool. Ed Voyles came back with the best price $27,706 (invoice according to Edmunds) not including junk fees. The salesman was laid-back and not pushy at all. In fact, we told him we were not sure if we were going to purchase the Honda or the Toyota so he gave us an Odyssey to take home overnight. He said the car would sell itself and he was right. We recommend the dealership and our salesman. Good luck!
  • Options
    davantdavant Member Posts: 294
    Sec2,

$2,460 for the HC 8/120/0 EW is waaay too much. There is a forum dedicated to the subject but check Bernardi.com (e-mail quote request, comes right back) and ask your dealer to price match or you'll shop elsewhere. You have 6K miles to make up your mind but it'll start at the in service date. If I remember right it should be around $1,600'ish.

Happy Odying!
  • Options
    I did get a Honda Care extended warranty from Faulkner. Before driving up, I went to www.hondawarrantyinfo.com (Bernardi's site) and requested a quote. I was interested in 5 yr/100k/$0 and it was $746. So I printed out the quote sheet, brought it to Faulkner the day I drove up there, and they matched it without any hassle or negotiation. Back in November, Bernardi was quoting $1281 for the 8yr/120K/$0.
  • Options
    davantdavant Member Posts: 294
    These same folks also emailed me a quote for $1,281 for the HC 8/120/0 EW on 15 Nov. Since I'm in FL I can't buy it so I opted for the 7/100/0 through our local dealer. The FL insurance commish regulates pricing so EW's are outrageous here and can't be bought out of state; $1,440 for what would have been $1,101 through hondawarranty/Bernardi. The quote should be all anyone needs to get a match, if not close, just don't betray the dealer (see thebill's post, LOL).
  • Options
    I looked around the Atlanta area for a 2006 Honda Odyssey w/ EX-L RES & NAV. Found several in stock at various dealers, but all of the dealers wouldn't budge below $1500 over invoice.

I went to CarsDirect, where you can search for a vehicle by choosing make/model and then zip code. Using CarsDirect, I entered zip codes of several cities outside of Atlanta...Birmingham ($1200 over invoice), Chattanooga ($1600 over invoice), Greenville, SC (invoice + $200- BINGO).

I then got 4 internet quotes from dealers in and around the Greenville area. Low and behold they were all within striking distance of invoice. Took the lowest deal in G'ville, and called the ATL dealers...to which they couldn't match or wouldn't believe.

Enought said, I drove 2 hours to G'ville and bought a Silver Pearl w/ Gray leather Odyssey EX-L R&N. Price paid when I showed up was price quoted.

$31,873 = inv + $200 proc fee
    $34,143 = drive out including tax (7% ouch) and tag and title.

Dealership was fantastic....called Breakaway Honda. No games or gimmicks
  • Options
    vaanvaan Member Posts: 5
    Can you please provide the exact dealership information, I am also shopping for EX-L with RES in the Phoenix area.
  • Options
    Just got an out-the-door quote of $37,100 from Faulkner, including accessories (cross bars, splash guards, door edge guards, wheel locks, fenderwell trim, cargo mat, floor mats, cargo tray, steering wheel cover). The quote seems somewhat high, considering the $35,500 quotes others (e.g., mom2four and oralmeddoc) have received from Faulkner recently. Did you other Faulkner folks have to haggle the price down to $35,500? Am I missing something? Thanks.
  • Options
    thebillthebill Member Posts: 194
    you are buying a 38000 dollar top of the line honda van for 35500......just buy the thing and start enjoying your new van.
  • Options
    $1600 is real money -- at least it is to me. I bought my only other new car well before the Internet, back when buyers were defenseless. This site is a great bargaining resource, and I intend to use it.
  • Options
    happyodyownerhappyodyowner Member Posts: 6
    I just purchased an 06 Odyssey EXL with Nav and DVD from Mike Pruitt Honda for $600 below invoice. I paid $31,073 including destination charges for an Ocean Mist color. Options I added were Towing ($999), Moonroof ($149.50), Hood Deflector ($195.00), and an 8 year/120k warranty with no deductible for $1230.00 (This is dealer cost). Additional Charges were Documentation Fee ($100.00) and Temp Tags ($25.25). The total Out-The-Door Price was $33,771.99. I am registering the vehicle in another state, so I didn't pay Ohio sales tax. It was the best buying experience I had in 25 years of buying a vehicle. I got a no-haggle price over the internet. The total buying experience took about 1 hr and 45 minutes. I highly recommend this dealer ship for its great price, service, and follow through.
  • Options
    odysseyhunterodysseyhunter Member Posts: 8
    I live in Utah, and not one dealership will come off the sticker price, nor show the invoice, also I'm willing to pay cash. The options that you got with yours is what I want. How can I get in touch with the salesman whom you delt with??
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 241,029
    Reminder..

You may include the dealership name, city and state in your post. Please do not post names of salespeople, telephone numbers, email addresses, or other contact information.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    thebillthebill Member Posts: 194
    your right....1600 is real money. its more than what I have. but when you are buying the best and safest van on the road, not to mention, from a salesperson that has hopefully EARNED your business like I do. its not going into the salesperson's pocket. we are lucky to make 20 percent of that.

THERE has to be a fair, and profitable deal. to both parties.
  • Options
    Just go on Honda's website and you can get dealer contact information for any store in the country.

Great deals are available from most any store in Ohio.

Hmmm....the thought occurs to me, though, that I shouldn't keep saying so because increased demand will necessarily raise prices here eventually (bad news for residents here).
  • Options
    Just got an OTD quote of $43,450 from Ourisman in Laurel (Md.) (including an 8 yr./120k mi./$0 ded. warranty). Yikes!
  • Options
    eln001eln001 Member Posts: 32
    Recently, I spent a month shopping for an EX-L w/RES and NAV in the Chicagoland area. I e-mailed over 15 dealers. The lowest priced dealer was Crystal Lake Honda in Crystal Lake, Illinois. In their e-mail reply, their offer was about 300.00 lower than my next lowest offer.
  • Options
    finzzfinzz Member Posts: 40
    Coming off our current lease in May and getting a head start on our next minivan...

I'm still on the fence as to whether or not we'll go with the Sienna of Honda but, in reviewing these postings, it appears that the price can differ dramatically depending upon WHERE you buy the car?

We're leaning toward the EX-L... in which neck of the woods should we solicit dealers? The more recent postings seem to favor Chicago & Ohio....?

...would appreciate any feedback - Thanks!
  • Options
    rrb17rrb17 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. What was their offer? Please give some details.
  • Options
    Any suggestions for someone who is about to close a deal? I've been asking dealers for out-the-door prices (including accessories, warranty, tax, tags etc.), but I still get the uneasy feeling (with some dealers) that they may have some last-minute "stunts" waiting for me. Any dealer "gotchas" to look out for -- like only one set of keys, a virtually empty gas tank etc.? Thanks.
  • Options
    If you feel uneasy about any dealer, go elsewhere! It is generally easy to detect those who play games (keep you waiting, don't answer your pointed questions, etc.) because they aren't straightforward on price.

Those that are upfront on price are (at least in my experience) very unlikely to pull any last minute stunts.

That said, I don't think any Honda store would engage in your illustrations - they take their customer sales satisfication scores very seriously.

The key question to be answered when getting OTD quotes is whether the quotes number includes EVERYTHING - vehicle, dealer/processing fee (if any), accessories, extended warranty, taxes, and plates.
  • Options
    g8unwg8unw Member Posts: 5
    Did you pay your tax,tag and title at the dealership? I'd like to know because Im from Alabama and would be buying my Odyssey EX from Easley SC. They are offering really good price there.
  • Options
    sec2,
    I did pay $35,500 for the Touring/NAV/DVD from Faulkner. This was the price of this well equipped vehicle only. Your quote is higher because you are adding on dealer accessories. If you look at the breakdown, you are probably being quoted ~$35,500 PLUS the cost of the additional items (cargo mats, floor mats, fenderwell trim,etc.) Personally, I did get the all-season mats for about $200...roughly MSRP...they offered no favors to me there. Also, I did purchase a HondaCare EW for $746. And I got a PA temporary tag through Faulkner ($45) so I could drive the vehicle home and register it in my home state. So in the end it was actually $36,491 for my vehicle. But in order to keep it an apples to apples comparison, I just quoted the price for the actual vehicle transaction without the accessories, which seem to be considered "after market, after the deal" items in the custom of this forum. Registration fees, sales taxes,etc. are also specific to the individual and their home state, and so shouldn't be considered in comparing quotes from posters here. Also, the Touring model steering wheel is already wrapped in leather...no need for a steering wheel cover...it's already been placed at the factory.
    By the way, I saw your post where you had expressed some trepidation about last minute "dealer gotchas"....you may see this in the DC/NOVA/MD area....but this will not occur with Faulker...look to my earlier post back in November in which I describe my buying experience. There were multiple opportunities for Faulkner to play games and spring surprises on me....but they were good to their word. If you agree to something with them on the phone, you will find that their word is as good as gold when you get there.
  • Options
    I planned to purchase the EX-L with the R/N package on December 31st. This date gave me my best opportunity to purchase the van for hundreds of dollars under invoice. It may be hard to get this price during the rest of the year. However, I found that the internet manager at Crystal Lake Honda in Crystal Lake, Illinois gave me a quote that no dealer was able to match in the Chicagoland area.
  • Options
    mom2fourmom2four Member Posts: 11
    My quote for $35,500 did include wheel locks, cargo tray, splash guards and heavy duty floor mats which I did negotiate. I also paid a $45 tag fee and a $200 to have it delivered approx. 700 miles from the dealership. Faulkner delivers free within a 400 mile radius. To me it was well worth my time, etc. to pay that small fee. Taxes and tags are dependent upon the state the vehicle is going to. Therefore, I did not include that in my figure. There were no suprises or additional fees when I signed the paperwork. The amount to Faulkner from me was $35,745.
    :)
    Hope this helps.
  • Options
    jcarlijcarli Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased in KY and paid dealer invoice, not MSRP. Odyssey Touring, with DVD, NO navigation.
  • Options
    biversonbiverson Member Posts: 2
    So what price did you get for the EX-L?
  • Options
    I paid 30,673.24+TTL and doc fee(55.00) for a new 2006 Odyssey EX-L with the RES/NAV package from Crystal Lake Honda in Crystal Lake, Illinois. I had no problem with Crystal Lake honoring the price quote that it offered me through the internet. The service and vehicle delivery were superb. Before the delivery, there was no pressure, gimmicks or even suggestions to buy unwanted insurance, warranties, or other options.
    Even though Crystal Lake Honda gave me the lowest price quote in Chicagoland, other competitive price quotes were Ed Napleton Honda in River Oaks(30,900),Continental Honda(31,000) and Valley Grand Honda(31,000). However, all of these dealers advised me to buy the EX-L w/ RES,NAV from any dealer who could beat their price. I am happy I followed their advice. The Crystal Lake dealership prides itself on beating any dealer's lowest quote.
  • Options
    edgetaedgeta Member Posts: 32
    I live in the Bay Area in Northern California. Does anyone have any pricing stories to share. It's amazing most dealers are trying to get between 4000 - 5000 dollars over MSRP (well I am looking for EXL-RES). At least CarsDirect has it under MSRP, not great but better than dealers. Also any stories about cars direct?
  • Options
    deepdropdeepdrop Member Posts: 89
    I was wondering about internet prices. When you query a dealer about a specific car (odyssey EXL w/ res/nav) and they email a price, does this tend to be the beginning of a negotiation, or are internet prices usually firm?
  • Options
    kjhighballkjhighball Member Posts: 10
    Does anyone have a recommendation for using CarsDirect or Edmunds to get a quote from dealers vs. going directly to the dealer's website and requesting a quote? Will either avenue yield a better result?
  • Options
    During internet shopping, different dealers employ different approaches. A small minority of dealers will offer a price so low that it is firm and there can not negotiate any further(i.e. 1000 below invoice). Usually experienced shoppers will recognize these offers, and the offers will not be matched by other dealers. Typically, a dealer will reply to your e-mail inquiry with an internet price(lower than edmund's TMV). Soon afterwards the dealer will follow-up with a solicitous phone call or e-mail inquiring if there is anything else they can do to earn your business. This is when the savvy car shopper replies by asking the dealer if, via phone or e-mail, they can beat the lowest offer "x" that you have received. This is why the buyer benefits from soliciting as many dealers in their area as possible. Eventually, the buyer will get to the lowest price possible, for that vehicle, at that time, when their lowest offer is no longer matched or beat by other dealers.
  • Options
    Some folks here seem to be using "dealer invoice" as the starting point for negotiations, but do they really know what the dealer is paying for the vehicle? My understanding is that any paper "invoice" they may show you does not truly reflect what they are paying; they receive "holdbacks" and other clever rebates that amount to 2 or 3% of the MSRP. Are you dealer invoice negotiators taking these rebates into account? My gut tells me that the Edmunds TMV or reading a load of posts here will give you a better basis for negotiating. Any thoughts on this?
  • Options
    I used Carsdirect.com when I purchased my most recent vehicle. Honda Odyssey EX-L RES&NAV.

I used Carsdirect to search surrounding cities outside of Atlanta, so that I could see if there were any differences in pricing due to various supplies of the vehicle in different cities. Of the 5 metro areas, Atlanta, Birmingham, Greenville, Chattanooga, and Charlotte...Greenville, was about $1600 below the other cities. This was a good barometer to then email all Honda dealerships in and around Greenville, SC. All quotes coming back were consistent with the findings on CarsDirect.com. I took my G'ville prices back to the Atlanta dealers to which they would not match. Thus, I got may car in Greenville, SC.

Carsdirect helped me suss out a target market for getting a deal.
  • Options
    a4b5a4b5 Member Posts: 17
    Frankly, what you paid out the door is somewhat irrelevant. All that really matters is what you paid for the vechicle, and any additional documentation fees. Sales tax, registration fees, etc. all vary from state to state, so quoting out the door prices does little good for comparison's sake.

Am I the only one that's missing the logic here? :confuse:
  • Options
    doremedoreme Member Posts: 1
    Paid 27,430. Drive out was 30,300. Gwinnett Place Honda. Emailed them, got a quote. Dest was 460, doc fee was 399. No mud guards, crossbars, or cargo tray.
  • Options
    rosie726rosie726 Member Posts: 40
    This is the deal we were able to make in NJ, 2006 Odyssey EX-L with the RES and NAV, 31,900 including destination charges AND a set of All weather floormats. I think this comes out to about $23 over invoice. The only other charges were $129 for documentation fees, NJ 6% sales tax and motor vehicle fees. I feel that we got a fair deal!
  • Options
    happyodyownerhappyodyowner Member Posts: 6
    The best way to find the dealer is go to Honda.com and get the contact info for Mike Pruitt Honda in Cuyahoga Falls, Oh. Speak with the internet sales manager, a lady, and reference the deal I got. I can't give the salesperson's name per the Edmunds Blog's rules. Good luck.
  • Options
    salsasalsa Member Posts: 20
    I think that the best price to use for comparison is the price of everything except the government fees like tax, tag, title, tire recycling, and battery disposal. The cost of accessories usually has a high markup and goes to the dealer's bottom line. It might not be possible to get the same vehicle price without also buying those add-ons.

The government fees can vary from state to state, are beyond the control of the dealer, and do not affect the price he charges for the vehicle, so they should NOT be included in my opinion..

By the way, I'm currently shopping for an Odyssey Touring - Nav, RES, in Ocean Mist with an ivory interior in South Florida. It’s very hard to find a Touring model in stock in any color around here and my favorite color combination doesn't seem very common. I hope I can find it at a reasonable price. I’m willing to pay a few hundred dollars extra for that color combo, but there are a couple other combos that I would find acceptable at a lower price.
  • Options
    mchappellmchappell Member Posts: 52
    According to the brochure that I have, the Touring/Ocean Mist is only available with a black interior.

Mark
  • Options
    mom2fourmom2four Member Posts: 11
    I've read the posts and contacted several dealers in regards to an extended warranty and wondered if any of you were charged sales tax for the warranty. I received a quote that said + sales tax. I wouldn't think a warranty would be taxed. Please respond ASAP as I'm really putting the miles on my new Odyssey. Thanks!
  • Options
    schoejeschoeje Member Posts: 1
    Just wanting to know what people are getting mileage wise(city and highway) on a 06 EXL. :)
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 241,029
    Try here:

Honda Odyssey Owners: MPG-Real World Numbers

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator