Options

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    jaedleejaedlee Member Posts: 59
    i'm convinced. i'm selling the oddy i just purchased and negotiating for dealer's true cost. According to some, that's the only price we all should pay. I can save an extra 100-150 bucks and spend it on next 3 tank of gas. Nevermind that i'm driving extra 100miles for this saving. But wait, i can afford invoice, even MSRP. No, i have to get the dealer's cost, that's the game, and that is the only victory.
  • Options
    customslawyercustomslawyer Member Posts: 7
    You got it all wrong! I had never been on this board until about a week after I bought the Odyssey and I had no idea what the invoice price was when I made the purchase. Just using the Internet free quote services and negotiating via email led to car salesmen fighting each other for a cash sale. Hey, I didn't call the dealer and tell him I was on my way to buy the car. He called me and reduced his price. BTW, I don't believe that the invoice price means anything. It probably costs Toyota somewhere between $500 and $1,500 to make these vehicles. That's quite a markeup!
  • Options
    eln001eln001 Member Posts: 32
    Call Crystal Lake Honda in Crystal Lake, Illinois and only ask for the Dealer Trade Manager. You should be forwarded to someone who will give you the information that you are seeking. Please continue to post your results here. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. No one has been able to match their prices. Contact me if I can be of any more help to you. Good Luck.
  • Options
    mnardo72mnardo72 Member Posts: 5
    in delaware, we're getting $30500 for odyssey exL w/nav, RES plus tax tags. Honda offers a $500 man-dealer incentive as well as a $1038 dealer holdback on the car. you should get at least $1000-$1400 off invoice (31,123). So with destination, dont pay over $30300 for a vehicle on the lot
  • Options
    mevandemevande Member Posts: 190
    Ok, customslawyer shared """I don't believe that the invoice price means anything. It probably costs Toyota somewhere between $500 and $1,500 to make these vehicles. That's quite a markeup!
    ""

First they are made my Honda not Toyota and it costs ALLOT more than ""$500 and $1,500 " to make the van. Where did you get your education 'customslawyer" ? (most likely from Nick JR! :)
  • Options
    everyone should feel good about the out the door cost of purchase. No one should feel bad or ripped off for not getting that B.S., invoice-holdback-500. So what if you paid 500 over your neighbor or 1000 over jo blow. It's an awesome van and hopefully a reliable one (since honda, likely). Don't get caught up with dealer profit ... like merchant, they want profit and if you own a business, you probably feel the same way. Concede "fair profit" to dealers and cut the stress and enjoy the vehicle. I thought my pathfinder rode like a car... the odyssey blew it away.
  • Options
    jenkinsismejenkinsisme Member Posts: 30
    "Jenkinsisme, You are obviously dealer sales rep. Information is all over re: true cost of a car and please don't try to sell us your BS."

Pardon me for only trying to offer real-life useful information. I don't know where you get off telling me not to sell you my BS. I don't have any BS to sell- only Hondas.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,006
    ... lets get back to the subject at hand, and avoid personally directed posts...

thanks!
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    s65s65 Member Posts: 54
    At least jenkins admitted what he does. (Although he didn't give much detail.)
    We could have some interesting conversations on this board.

It is good to have him here, to balance some of the other points of view (mostly consumers).

Jenkins - are you on track for your unit # this month?

If not let us know and we will take some units from you at triple net.
  • Options
    biggerdaddynjbiggerdaddynj Member Posts: 17
    S65--I've been holding off on my purchase hoping to get a good deal as the end of the quarter approaches. You previously mentioned that you knew of some dealerships in Jersey who are willing to deal to move units (i.e., Invoice - Dealer cash - Holdback - $500). Any information would be greatly appreciated!! By the way, has anyone out there been able to get an Odyssey at such prices??? I'm looking for the EX-L w/DVD,RES, NAV.
  • Options
    jenkinsismejenkinsisme Member Posts: 30
    So far the month is about average, but I work for a dealership that isn't high volume. This works to my advantage I guess, but we can't do crazy stuff like some of the really big high volume dealerships do. We do things really laid-back and have no documentation fees or any dealer add-ons. I guess you can say we just sell em' like they come and then the customer can add any accessories that they want. No tricks or gimmicks, just business. Happy to help out any way I can.
  • Options
    customslawyercustomslawyer Member Posts: 7
    "First they are made my Honda not Toyota and it costs ALLOT more than ""$500 and $1,500 " to make the van. Where did you get your education 'customslawyer" ? (most likely from Nick JR!"

You've got kind of a bad attitude! That said, double it if it makes you feel any better. $1,000-%3,000 still gives the manufacturer - Honda, Toyota - a gigantic markup.
  • Options
    etomidateetomidate Member Posts: 14
    Ended up getting this car today for $26,750 + tax, title, license from Anderson Honda in Palo Alto, CA.

They did a great job to earn my business. I could have saved a few hundred buck going to SoCal, but then I would have to fly down there when I had the time. Stevens Creek couldn't come close, Capitol Honda had bad service to boot, and Fremont's best pitch was $27,052. Fremont said they never sold this van for cheaper.

Thanks to the forum, I think I saved hundreds of dollars if not more. Thanks to all who posted.

Oddly, when we were in the final process of buying the car, we met another family who was buying the exact same car except it was Gold. We were exchanging prices and they paid $27,400. The wife was somewhat upset at the price they paid. Also, they paid $1,990 for the Honda Care 7year/80K miles with money return if they never use it. I paid $950 for the exact same thing and with money return if we never use it.

I told them to read edmunds.com when they get home for future references.
  • Options
    jersey_rocksjersey_rocks Member Posts: 3
    S65
    I live in Jersey and looking to buy AN EXL with DVD&NAVI
    any tips on where and when to buy?
    looking to buy at the end of June or early July
  • Options
    ajb2006ajb2006 Member Posts: 1
    After corresponding through emails, dealers still play games when you reach there. They give you OTD price and then start adding stuff on it. So what does OTD price mean to them...

I finally bought my EX at Arrowhead Honda in Phoenix, AZ. They were really nice and had a very good customer experience. I paid 28K OTD..Is that a good price?
  • Options
    heliashelias Member Posts: 4
    After weeks hunting, we got our Odyssey at $30,300 yesterday. Dealer put in wheel lock, etc. to add in another $200 or so. It's not my 1st choice for exterior color (Sage), it have good interior though (Olive).

We were looking for this model with slate green / olive. It has been FOUR times that as soon as we are just about to purchase, somebody else took it right before us. That was very frustrat!!!

We drove 60 miles one way for this lowest quote. Even with the $200 stuff, it's still a good deal for me.
  • Options
    bubbadbubbad Member Posts: 2
    Any insight as to dealer experience in this area would be great. This is a great forum.
  • Options
    donm23donm23 Member Posts: 12
    I have been getting quotes in the area and am looking to buy this month. They mostly started in the high 27s and are now in the mid 27s with Manchester Honda being the only one that started with a quote above invoice.

I am guessing low 27s plus TTL is where you want to be although someone here just said he paid $26,750 + TTL in CA so maybe I'm overestimating the market. Good luck and please let me know what kinds of offers you get.
  • Options
    mss1144mss1144 Member Posts: 17
    If this helps and if anyone can tell me if this is a good deal, I was told by a dealership in NJ that i can get any style odyssey I want for $1500 below invoice. Is this a good deal? Am I being set up for fees elsewhere? Help I want to buy this week.
  • Options
    I just got a price on an EXL RES/NAV MSRP $35,xxx
    without any Negotiation for $32,800 OTD.

This price includes NJ TAX/REG/DOC FEE

It is about 3 bucks over triple net, without negotiation.

I'd say $32,500 OTD (NJ Deal) is realistic for serious buyers....
  • Options
    MSS - negotiate OTD prices (including all taxes, fees etc) or you may get hit with surprise fees
  • Options
    mss1144mss1144 Member Posts: 17
    what is the invoice and can you email me the dealership please.
  • Options
    Just to keep you guys updated I'm noticing that the EX-L Res/Navi in NJ are not very common right now.....

If you have a certain color you need I would try to buy in the next two weeks.

If you are flexible on color then take your time.
  • Options
    I can't email you, it wont let me.

The dealership where I got 32,800 OTD was planet honda

They have 3 units in stock right now.

Again... I think with a bit of negotiation 32,500 is realistic.
  • Options
    sactoraysactoray Member Posts: 8
    I have been quoted $30,923.00 for EX-L, with DVD Ent/Nav. I really don't want the DVD but it's seems they are linked?

Is this price, which does not include TTL, decent? I know that according to Ed.com the invoice is $31,123 but there is also a 3% hold back here I believe

Thanks for any input...
  • Options
    Your prices are not including destination.

INV (INC Dest) = 31,673

Shoot for about $1500 (Dealer Cash + Holdback)
    below this #

Try to pay $30,100 (dest inlcuded) plus taxes/fees.
  • Options
    Thanks... I'll do that... and is it just urban legend or does waiting until the end of the month or quarter really improve your chances of getting a better deal?
  • Options
    Some dealers are much more aggressive the last few days of the month.... especially when they need units to meet their goals.
  • Options
    Further inquiries have confirmed that the build out on ODYs is over for this year.

This means if the dealer doesn't have the unit in stock, and doesn't have it listed on their incoming units they won't be getting any more till '07.

EX-L RES/NAVI units seem to be the rarest right now.

DCH Academy had NONE and NONE Incoming
    Metro had 1 and 1 Incoming
    Planet had 3 as of this afternoon

If you have your heart set on RES/NAVI I would seriously consider Planets $32,800 OTD....

Perhaps you can save a couple hundred if you wanna play hard ball....

But if you hold out for too long you might end up in an 07...

Other trim levels are more plentiful but this one is not
  • Options
    sardasarda Member Posts: 3
    We are very thankful to everyone here who made our eyes open wide with their knowledge , in particular this forum and Edmund columns.
    I was determined to buy Honda Ex-L standard with no options.... period three weeks back. I got my finance from CU, no tread in ( I will sell my current car on my own later).
    Requested quotes to dealers who are in the range of 100 miles, by the way I live in San Diego.
    Rock Honda, Spreen Honda gave better deals and no one from San Diego are near to those deals or at least didn't try to come halfway.

Called Spreen Honda requested further more details like fees, TTL, color, current milage etc. The Internet Sales department guy(s) talked to me with no ...really NO sales Pitch and gladly sent all the details through email.
    Drive with a friend for 85 miles spent 2 hrs signed all the paper work drove back with mini Van.
    Price: $26,844.00
    Doc Fee: $45.00
    Taxes: $2,083.90
    DMV Fees: $244.75

Total OTD: $29,217.65
    It was a good buying experience
  • Options
    dan41dan41 Member Posts: 182
    The dealer faxed this over 1500 below invoice, any model, mv fee 175
    doc fee 199
    and state tax 8.625

any help is appreciated
  • Options
    1500 below is very realistic considering Holdback and 500 dealer cash.

Have him fax you an OTD (out the door) quote which includes all taxes and fees. Or another way of putting it... the amount of the check you have to write to drive the car home....

this way no hidden fees pop up.
  • Options
    fsu92gradfsu92grad Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys !
    New to the forum here and as many of you, I would like to know if the price I am getting for a new '06 EX-L with DVD and Ipod Adapter (Retail $499.00 installed)is reasonable. The price is from a dealership in Orlando, FL. He gave me an OTD price of $32,271. Sound good ?

I'm just amazed how some of you are getting prices around $30,000 OTD on an EX-L with DVD/Navi - AMAZING !!

Please tell me what you honestly think about this price...It seems the best I have been able to get and I have worked with other internet managers in the Brandon and Tampa, FL areas...This one in Orlando seems to be the best. :confuse:
  • Options
    irwinyirwiny Member Posts: 4
    When getting your quotes, make sure you ask for the price out the door. I have been getting prices that range around $33K. Also keep trying with differnt email address or names at same dealership. I got two different quotes from same internet department/location one time.

I am trying to push for $33K w/Nav Out the door this coming 4th of July.

Let me know where you got the best deal.
  • Options
    mobertimoberti Member Posts: 1
    Any good deals or dealers anyone knows of in the Seattle area. My wife and I really want one of these cars.
  • Options
    Based on previous posts on this board you may save a couple grand by buying in Oregon or Northern California.

Use a Northern California ZIP in Hondas Dealer locator at www.honda.com

Then call a bunch of these dealers and you want an OTD (Out the door) price for WA state registration/tax.

It may be worth your while to make the trip.....
  • Options
    blewis315blewis315 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a EX-L RES/Nav and a Touring w/Nav and am unable to get the 5 or 6 dealers in the area to come even close to invoice - holdback - dealer cash. Anyone else come close in the Kansas City area?
  • Options
    zachrzachr Member Posts: 1
    I thought I would document my adventure in buying an Odyssey EX with the hopes that it might help someone else out. The adventure started Sunday morning when my wife and I decided that we should buy an Odyssey. We have a one year old daughter, my wife needed a newer car and I've taken up kite boarding (which requires the transportation of a fair amount of equipment). All good reasons to own a van.

I did a little Googling to find out the basics. On craigslist I found a listing for a used '05 EX at Dublin Honda. This was perfect, we could go test drive both a new and the used one. Then we could see which one made the most sense (I don't mind a used one and would love to save some money). By the time we drove out there, the used one was gone. We test drove a new one, and within a minute the sales guy started up with "What's it going to take to get you to drive away with one today". I was pretty sure I wasn't going to buy one from this guy, but I figured I'd see what they could do on price (at that point I hadn't discovered the edmond forums). After many "trips to the manager" the best price they could do was still $1000 over invoice. I knew enough about buying cars to walk away from that deal (and I am SO glad I did).

That night, I did a little more web searching and found this forum. Wow, what great info! Knowing that there are people paying less than invoice was very encouraging. However, it made me realize how they were trying to rake me over the coals at Dublin Honda (errr... I hate to be raked). So, on the advise of this forum, I started firing off quote requests to all the dealers in the area. By 10am the next morning I had half a dozen emails from dealers. Some gave quotes. Others played a different game. Honda of Hayward sent an email showing the msrp and invoice. Then mentioning that there are dealer incentives this month and that they could give me a good deal. No actual quote. I responded to the email and said that I had heard about the $500 in dealer cash, and that I wanted an itemized quote OTD minus TTL. Within a half hour I received three phone calls from different people all claiming to be from Honda of Hayward. I was very upfront with everyone explaining that I was sending out many quote requests and that I would buy from the dealer that gave me the best deal. They all asked what my lowest quote was, but I refused to tell them. I just asked that they email me their "best" quote. They didn't like that very much, but kept calling regardless. Finally, they emailed me a quote and it was $1000 more than my lowest.

By around 4pm, I had received most of the quotes. The lowest one was $24,912+TTL from Anderson However, the two closest dealers to my house (Berkeley and El Cerrito) had not responded. I first called El Cerrito. I spoke to a woman there who was very nice. She apologized for not getting back to me and said that she would email me a quote right away. The quote appeared in my inbox a few minutes later, but it was way high. However, it said "please let me try and beat any other offers you get". It was getting late and I really want to buy the car that day. So, I responded back and told here what my lowest price was and asked if she could beat it by $100. If she could I told here I would drive right up there and buy it within the hour. She email back and said she could do it. So, my wife and I packed up our daughter and headed to El Cerrito. After filling out the credit form (even though we were paying cash) and waiting almost a half hour, our sales woman came back with a cost breakdown sheet. First thing I noticed was the $550 destination charge on top of the price she said she could beat. I showed her the quote which included the destination charge. She got a bit worked up and said that she would have to go talk to her manager. After making us wait for another 20 minutes (trying to keep a one year old busy for this long is quite a challenge), she comes back and says that the quote I gave her was fishy and started making excuses. At that point I said stop, I apologized for waisting her time, but I really wasn't in the mood for more negotiation. We left. In hindsight, I realize that I probably should have made it very clear that the price she was matching included destination.

On the way home, I called the Berkeley dealership and asked them straight up if they could beat the price (including destination). The salesman did some paper shuffling and said yes. i told him I would be there in five minutes. I asked my wife to drop me off at the dealer (she was tired and wanted to get home). I walked in the door, filled out two forms and walked out the door in 30 minutes with a new van. We ended up paying $24,860 that included destination. He also threw in two detailings and a free first service. Out the door it was $27,317 (darn taxes) . I was happy with the deal I got and drove the car home to my happy wife. She was happy because she didn't have to go to another dealership. At the end of the day, I would totally recommend Honda of Berkeley (as long as you've done your homework first).

I wish you good luck in buying your van.

--Zach

P.S. After getting the car home, my wife and I spent some time playing with all the gadgets in the van. We had the stereo on, but the ignition was off. Needless to say, we drained the battery (the battery was low from sitting on the lot). We manually locked all the doors as the power locks no longer worked, but discovered that the rear door doesn't have a manual lock. Without power you there is no way to lock it. So, we had to jump start just to lock all the doors.
  • Options
    trantran Member Posts: 12
    Hi everyone,

After several negotiation, I got a final quote for EX-L at Edmunds invoice (27,708) with destination fee of 550. A total of 28,258 excluding tax and transfer fee. Does this price sound good to every one? Haven't decided to buy but the dealer absolutely not going less. Thanks for your input.

Trung
  • Options
    bubbadbubbad Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Donm.

I will let you know everything I learn. I was planning on hitting Hoffman Avon, Liberty Hartford and Schaeller New Britain for starters. Yes I did see the $26,750 so I'm thinking anything right around $27K would be reasonably competitive. It changes every day though. Thanks again.
  • Options
    dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    Trung,

I think this is a great price on an Odyssey EX-L. Some folks are paying less, but it really depends on where you live (how many dealers are in your area to compete against) and dealer inventory. Your other option is wait until the end of the month. Some dealers will go even lower to hit certain sales forecast targets, but in the end this is still a great price on a great van. Just over a year ago folks were paying MSRP or more for this vehicle.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Tran -
    You can do much better on an EX-L.

What part of the country do you live in?

In the northeast you could get 1400 or more BELOW invoice.
  • Options
    Ok, after receiving a 30,923 - minus TTL, quote on an EX, w/Nav & DVD.. I contacted 10 dealers between Sacramento and the SF Bay Area. No one would beat this price.. One guy accused me of making up the price and just about all the others said if you can really get this price, take it!

The Oakland dealer said he had two in stock and if he didn't sell them this weeekend he would beat my quote by $100 - gimme a break. It would seem that short supply and a belief that they can get what they ask for this van is going to affect my negotiating posistion.

For those dealers that actually allow you to browse their inventory it did seem that this particular trim level is getting to be fairly rare. There are still a large supply of EX base models and fair amount of touring models out there.

Anyway, thanks for all the help...my turn to decide on this one..
  • Options
    rniernie Member Posts: 5
    I was wondering if those dealers sold out on a particular trim, are they going to order another batch or it's going to be out for the rest of the year. We haven't even passed the 1st half of 2006 yet. Any insider knows about this?
  • Options
    Wasted hours, i feel for you. Imagine if you had worked those 3 hours, the amount you would have made probably exceeds the amount of $ you would have saved. I think everyone is getting very realistic deals using this forum. Good luck.
  • Options
    I was informed by several dealers as well as some folks here on this board that the builds for '06 are over. So, what ever is out there ... is out there. It's now a question of finding it or having the dealer trade for it, which for the bottom line may change the pricing depending how they get the traded vehicle to the lot.
  • Options
    i bought mine in socal for 30,100. But even when i was getting mine, the sales guy said the supplies were getting shorted. i don't have any reason why he would lie to me. I tell you , i was also caught up in haggling for 2-300 from dealer to dealer and i regret it; wasted a whole week going back and forth. I eventually ended up buying from the first dealer that contacted me and made the real serious offer. Good luck.
  • Options
    Nice, congrats. Now you can enjoy the vehicle. My experience was similar except i don't intend on selling my Pathfinder and wife needs her accord to commute. I couldn't convince myself that driving to work in a minivan was cool when most of my friends aren't even married!
  • Options
    rniernie Member Posts: 5
    Can you share when did you buy your Oddy for that amount?
  • Options
    bought it two weeks ago, beginning of the month. I don't think you save that much going at the end of the month, maybe you do.. who knows, but you'd be fighting heck of a crowd to get the oddy you want at the end of month or 4th of Jul. I got the dealer info from this forum, another person who got that invoice-3%holdback-500 that we're all seeking. I emailed the dealership and got a call back from the sales manager, i told him i wanted above price, and he said he can do it plus 50 or 100, i forget. I asked to go lower, he didn't budge, but was cool about it. I then bounced his quote off of other dealers (which i regret... too much hassle and waste of time to save a few bucks) 90% of whom said they couldn't even come close. The dealership was a "high volume" dealer, i guess they take a hit on internet sales side to move vehicles. Look around your area for a high volume dealerships. Hope it helps. Good luck.