Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    momofformomoffor Member Posts: 3
    what is that number?

when you say 2.6% below invoice, is that invoice and destination

I havee that invoice and destination on exl- res is 29145 plus $550 destination= 29696, the best I could get my dealer to do is $ 29956

does anyone have any idea how to get the number below invoice, I have contaced a few dealers and most have been telling me this is the number in the ny metro area.
  • Options
    s65s65 Member Posts: 54
    Do you really want a Touring after all the nightmares people are having with the run flat tires?

Check the Run flat message board.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ef3f1cf/0!make=Honda&model=Odyssey&ed_mak- eindex=.ef3f1cf

Unless you really need some of that stuff on the Touring I would consider an EX-L Navi/RES

In NJ I would defin. recomend Planet Honda on RT 22.

They are a volume dealership, and give some crazy deals near the end of the month (if you can wait that long).

The deal I got on an EX-L at the end of may was
    Invoice - Dealer Cash - Holdback - $500

He lost about $500 on the car but he needed a unit to make his numbers.

Remember the end of the month is the key, the first 20 days or so they go for gross, after that, you've got a shot at a really good deal.

If you need any more help in NJ let me know.
  • Options
    In NJ you can do much better.
    At least $1400 - $1500 under invoice without much work, and much better if you really try.

Let me know if you need any more help, the price you were quoted is way too high.
  • Options
    haveatithaveatit Member Posts: 2
    We've been shopping for a 2004 Odyssey - EX w/Leather and DVD. Found one we are interested in. The FMV is close to the asking price of 22,900. How do we negotiate from here? What should we offer or is this considered a fair price and we don't haggle?
    Thanks for any advice
  • Options
    jb05jb05 Member Posts: 5
    I am looking to buy an EX Odyssey in a months time and would really appreciate your help.
    I live in Franklin, Mass.
    Any recommendation for dealer in boston area?
    Is june end good time to buy (month/quarter end) ?
    Should I start asking for internet quotes right now and negotiate through the month end?
    What should be an offer price for EX?
    Where should I get warrenty from?
    Thanks much,
    JB.
  • Options
    reedjreedj Member Posts: 1
    Anybody care to chime in about buying in Michigan? I have a quote of 31,033 including destination from Howard Cooper in Ann Arbor. Can I do better?
  • Options
    If you are talking about a plain EX(no leather)
    I would offer
    26102 Invoice
    -868 (minus Holdback)
    -500 (minus dealer cash)

$24,734 (dealers true cost)
    Plus local taxes, fees, MV etc.
    You may be able to do better at times, but if you pay this price you'll be doing better than most others on this forum.

Also, if you are not paying cash try to arrange your own financing ahead of time (credit union, capital one etc)
    because if the dealer gets you financed at say 6% he will try to bump you a point or two and pocket the difference.

Good Luck

P.S. Get the Warranty through
    WWW.MYHONDAWARRANTY.COM
    You can do the whole process online (after you buy the van) and their prices are very agressive.
  • Options
    sammy2074sammy2074 Member Posts: 8
    I am looking for a EX - L in the next few days. Couple of Dealers have given the prices,

Dealer A - 27059 (Includes the Dest Charge)+TTL
    Dealer B - 27100 (Includes the Dest Charge) + TTL, he gave a out of door price of - $29133.5 This guy also incude a document chages of $57.

Let me know if we can get a better deal in Chicago or even somewhere in Wisconsin.
  • Options
    get OTD prices from both as fees will vary a bit
  • Options
    msim2020msim2020 Member Posts: 12
    i am considering buying from them.

would love to hear any experience that you may have dealing with the dealership.
  • Options
    Dealer OTD price is going to be - 29044. Both of them say that this is just staright from the factory i.e without any accesories like Splash guards atc.

Dealer A said that Pin Stripes and Splash gaurds as the popular accessories - 354.

Any help in this regard would be helpful
  • Options
    cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    haveatit, given the high resale values of Odysseys, a used one is generally not a great buy. You can buy a new '06 EX for around $25,000 that is a far better vehicle and much safer too. Neither leather nor a DVD player will save your life (although a DVD player may save your sanity!).

If you are set on the '04, simply decide how much you are willing to pay, offer less, and come up slowly.
  • Options
    seattleml320seattleml320 Member Posts: 11
    How much did Gladstone Honda quote you?
  • Options
    4bees2be4bees2be Member Posts: 2
    I emailed dealerships within a 50 miles radius of the DC area asking for their best price on a 2006 EX-L w/ RES and NAV. I told them that I wanted the final price + TTL only - no other fees that dealers like to tag on. Anyways, the best price I got was $30,285 + TTL. I got it in writing. Our car came in yesterday so we're gonna pick it up tomorrow - exact color scheme that we wanted. So far it's been a painless experience. Good deal????
  • Options
    ra_seattlera_seattle Member Posts: 3
    Hello all,

I would like to buy a Odyssey EX within a week. I live in Seattle. Is it possible to get an invoice price within Great Seattle Area, including Bellevue, Lynwood, Issaqua, Renten or further away? If yes, please share me your experience which dealer to go and how to talk with dealers?

I also read it is mentioned in a recent message reduce other cost such as:
    -868 (minus Holdback)
    -500 (minus dealer cash)

Can we do it in Seattle area, too?

Any input is really appreciated!

Best wishes,
    Richard
  • Options
    biggerdaddynjbiggerdaddynj Member Posts: 17
    Chirp, thanks for your help it's greatly appreciated. however, after receiving another response to my posting I'm starting to think twice about the wisdom of getting the Touring model because of the run-flat tires. It seems like they're mucho bucks and it's extremely difficult to find someone to install them because the equipment is expensive! Do you (or anyone else) have any thoughts on the topic??
    Thanks again.
  • Options
    biggerdaddynjbiggerdaddynj Member Posts: 17
    S65--I can't thank you enough! I knew the run-flats were expensive but I didn't realize about the other problems. We might switch to the EX-L based on the run-flats. Thanks again!!
  • Options
    oldarmyoldarmy Member Posts: 27
    Bought several cars from them...recently a 2006 Odyssey EXL. Great dealer with excellent reputation.
  • Options
    Glad to help you.

If you or anyone else needs additional help finding a good deal in NY/NJ/PA just let me know.
  • Options
    chirpchirp Member Posts: 194
    Hey Bigdaddy,

Firstly-If you have your heart set on the Touring, buy it!

My last car was an AMG Mercedes with a can of "fix-a-flat". That means, no spare and that's the way it came from the factory! In 35 years of driving I can count the flats I have had on one hand and the PAX system is on a 2 year free replacement program. I like all of the other Touring adds too much to let this debate over the PAX system freak me out. I won't list the differences between the EX-L and the Touring, because I'm sure you know what they are. When my wife calls me within the first couple of years and says she has a flat, I will tell her to drive straight to the dealer and get a new tire/wheel. After that time period I'll deal with the replacement costs, but will maintain the PAX system. It works for me and whoever keeps saying you may be stranded on the road while touring Orlando from Detroit is full of bull. I'm also not expecting much more than 30K(if that) out of them and that's just fine. Back to the topic of price; when you can get almost $6,000 off of MSRP on the Touring and it comes equiped with more gadgets than most high-end luxory cars I say buy it and don't look back. Life's too short to let other people decide for you what they think you want. Best of luck to you!!
  • Options
    hasmanhasman Member Posts: 9
    I am in the Chicagoland area and looking to buy a 2006 Odyssey EX-L with Navi and Dvd Res and the lowest quote I got was 30,675 + TTL, so I think the 29044 for EX-L seems a bit high.

Hasman.
  • Options
    kjhighballkjhighball Member Posts: 10
    Purchased an EXL-RES Redrock Pearl on 6/6/06 from David McDavid Honda in Frisco, Texas for $29,356 + $315 for day/night mirror installed + TTL for my wife. Includes pinstrip, mudguards, cargo tray, and wheel locks.

The experience at the dealer was very good. My Internet Manager was extremely responsive to e-mails as well as calling me a couple of times for clarification. I was quoted the vehicle price and OTD price via e-mail, and the dealership honored it exactly without any question when I arrived. We entered the dealership about 4:30 p.m. for the first time, and we drove out about 7:25 p.m.

For the mirror, the dealer’s quoted $400 installed, but another local dealer (Rusty Wallis) had it displayed on the Honda estore link for $315. McDavid Frisco matched it.

Here was my process:
    1) I e-mailed 3 area dealers from Honda’s website and 4 other area dealers from their own website. 2 never responded. 4 responded with no price asking for more details. 1 responded with a price. All the dealers had at least one in stock online.
    2) I e-mailed back and forth and got prices from 4 of them. 3 were at or very close to the Edmund invoice, and 1 (McKinney) was $1,000 over invoice.
    3) I called a salesman at local dealer from a reference. He gave me a price lower than any of the e-mail quotes. However, his dealership was not near my home or work.
    4) On 6/5, I sent my final e-mail to another dealer & Frisco asking who would meet the price of $29,356.
    5) On 6/6, the first declined to meet. Frisco said they would meet the price.

Thank you ror great tips on how to get a great deal.
  • Options
    irwinyirwiny Member Posts: 4
    I am looking to buy a EX-L RES & NAV in the coming weeks. I have offered to pay no more than $33K out-the-door. Talked to few dealers during the past few weeks and the price has changed after Memorial weekend a bit higher. :mad:

Any ideas or comments in getting the $33K price out the door? Should I shop out of the Bay Area to get this price? I hear SoCal is more aggressive or Sacramento...

Thanks for your comments in advance..
  • Options
    jaedleejaedlee Member Posts: 59
    Everyone wants the lowest price for an auto; i did also. I purchased my oddy EX-L RES and Navi for less than 33k out the door in southern cal ... but when i look back on the experience, i ask myself was all the wheelin' and dealin' and emailin' worth it? so i saved about 1300 from the best online quote i got, big deal. And towards the d-day of purchase i had quotes of 30,500 (400 worth of mudguard and wheel lock they wouldn't take off), 30,100 (without any options) and 30,050 ish. So what did i do? I found myself having these 3 dealers compete to beat eachother, again, my mentality of trying to get the best deal. But what the hell was i really doing... just penny pinching. I mean the car is freaking over 30k and to save a few hundred more (if that) i go thru all the headache and the hassle. Just taking the ratio, if the car was 3k, i'm talking about saving 20 bucks. and if the cost is 300, i'm saving 2 bucks. What i'm saying is, if you, as the buyer, feel you can purchase the vehicle at MSRP and not feel the financial pinch, then any cost below this is a good one. In addition internet and forums such as this helps you get even better deals. I see people posting (and so did i) they went with dealer x over y to save 150, etc... that's really absurd in the hindsight. Don't drive 50 or 100miles to save a few bucks when you can buy it from your backyard dealer for just a bit over. If your car has problems, the dealer that sold it to you will accomodate you better ... it would suck to drive 100miles to get your car serviced. Just my take. Happy hunting all.
  • Options
    I absolutely concur. The internet and email is simply a new way to attract customers(read-sales) and nothing more. You need to take the bull by the horns and work with the dealer you TRUST, period. Add up all the hours you spend emailing back and forth and you have gained nothing. I paid $31,000(before TTL) 8 Years ago for our 1998 Sienna and now just paid $33,947 for the most expensive Odyssey you can buy with every option from parking assist to Navigation and Entertainment systems. You can't touch this value in hardly any other vehicle and the deals are out there, so I say "get on with it" and cut your fair deal and start enjoying your Odyssey!
  • Options
    29044 is OTD Price. 27059 +TTL is the breakeup.
  • Options
    eln001eln001 Member Posts: 32
    I think Crystal Lake Honda in Crystal Lake, Illinois can beat 30,675 on a 2006 Odyssey EX-L w/N&R. Give them a shot before you buy.
  • Options
    logs1logs1 Member Posts: 10
    What was the invoice for the car that you purchased? Edmunds has the invoice at $34,898 + $550 destination charge. If we are talking about the same vehicle, '06 Odyssey Touring with Nav/Ent, then your OTD price is $1,500 under dealer invoice.

Can you help me out with the numbers?

Thank you.
  • Options
    ronohashironohashi Member Posts: 4
    Honda North in Danvers, Boston. 33950 Touring loaded as above. Stay with one good dealer and you wont go wrong. The van is amazing- I took out the seats and fit an 4ft by 4 ft table with no trouble! rides like a dream. ;)
  • Options
    After reading the posts, it seems to me that the price varies from area to area.

Can anyone share some experience in buying Odyssey in Seattle area? the price and the additional charges?

thanks,
  • Options
  • Options
    Great post. $33950 plus tax and tags or OTD?

Thank you.
  • Options
    odydriverodydriver Member Posts: 6
    irwiny,
    I also wanted to get under $33k out the door in the Bay Area and got $33,121 over Memorial Day weekend. In response to the other posts about penny pinching, I REALLY wanted to stay with our local dealer at San Leandro Honda where we got our 2004 Odyssey, but El Cerrito beat their price by over $500. While I didn't want to go elsewhere, the $500 was worth the 20 miles (although I'm now having to deal with going to El Cerrito every other week for little service issues that are popping up).

I live on the East Bay and had very good experiences and competitive prices from Oakland, San Leandro and El Cerrito (all internet departments).
  • Options
    duperduper Member Posts: 127
    Any ideas or comments in getting the $33K price out the door? Should I shop out of the Bay Area to get this price? I hear SoCal is more aggressive or Sacramento...

In the Bay Area, it'll tough to get that model with that price OTD. It can be done but you have to prepare to negotiate and shop. Invoice for an EX-L R&N is around $31,673 and for OTD at $33k, the dealer has to sell it closer to $1,600 below invoice.

If you can wait until, let say July 4th where they need to push it for for the big holiday or when the '07 models are ready to release, it may be doable.
  • Options
    Invoice($34,898) PLUS destination charge($550) equals $35,448. I purchased the Touring for $33,947. This is $1,501 under invoice+destination. This is NOT an OTD price so you need to add TTL. Once again, this is an incredible value and my wife loves it.
  • Options
    Chirp,

Called my local dealer, laid out the deal I wanted - $33,950, '06 Touring with Nav/Ent - deal was accepted over the phone with new car sales manager in about 3 minutes total. No joke, he has 4 in stock and wanted to move them.

This site has been a great help.

BTW - car has mud guards($128) and wheelocks $60)that are being put into the deal for $125.
    I dealt with Honda Cars of Rockhill.
  • Options
    That is absolutely awesome!! and I'm telling you, when I looked at what I paid for my Sienna 8 years ago($31,000+TTL) I almost sh** my pants. It was an XLE, but had no NAVI, no RES, no Park Assist, no auto doors, no backup camera, no memory seats, no adjustable pedals, no XM, etc.,etc.. This Touring rocks and you will love it. Way to go!
  • Options
    irwinyirwiny Member Posts: 4
    My latest quote from San Leandro was pretty good about $33.7 out the door a few days ago. But Fremont is full price with no discount during my trip there during the Memorial weekend. El Cerrito has been in contact every two days and the latest price is about $100-200 less.

Need to ask for final out the door quote. I've noticed that many dealers quote don't include the destination fee. This is how they trick you in coming to their showroom.

Thanks for the reply.
  • Options
    duperduper Member Posts: 127
    Need to ask for final out the door quote. I've noticed that many dealers quote don't include the destination fee. This is how they trick you in coming to their showroom.

When I bought my from Fremont, the quote had dest. fee included. In fact of all 4 dealers I contactd, all had dest. fee included in the quoted price.

I'm surprise Fremont couldn't do it for under invoice. They did it for me.
  • Options
    odydriverodydriver Member Posts: 6
    Fremont quoted me the wrong model. When I asked them for another quote, they told me they didn't have any.

San Leandro internet went so far as 30,646. OTD was about 33,6++. El Cerrito's OTD included a $28 electronic filing fee, but was still lower. They also threw in the wheel locks and pro pac that was on the car.

End of June/pre-July 4 holiday may be your best bet to get the last several hundred knocked off. I'm sure they'll throw in whatever accessories happen to be on the car as well.

You also have to shop for colors, because I noticed that the miles start adding up when they do dealer swaps. I tried to remain as flexible as possible so I could get cars that they already had in stock.
  • Options
    jaedleejaedlee Member Posts: 59
    keep in mind, the longer you hold out for that extra 200 to 400 dollar deal, higher the chance you'll lose the car of your choice with the color and the options (or without options) you want. Then you'll end up with a a color you don't care for, pinstripe that makes the car look tacky, splash/mud guard that will cost you over 100, wheel locks for close to 100, and other add ons that you don't want and need. AND in the end, you would've paid more than 200-400 dollar you were looking to save with all those stupid add ons by the dealer. Newer models are due out and everyone is looking for deals on 2006 so i think dealers may have the advantage. It's basic economics, supply and demand. Supply is short (2006 are not being made) and demand is high (i.e this board/forum). As it is now, it's hard to find that "perfect" ody with the color (both in and out) you are looking for.

Good luck all. OUT
  • Options
    medmdmdmedmdmd Member Posts: 41
    Yes that included destination for the total "invoice" price.

Yours is a good question and I am not sure how the experts on this forum properly define invoice.

My quoted price was $28,900 for an EX L RES in Philadelphia (2.6+% below invoice and taxes and fees are not included).

Look into warehouse memberships like Costco and you may be able to get a better no haggle price.
  • Options
    jenkinsismejenkinsisme Member Posts: 30
    What an excellent post! This post makes the most sense of anything I have read in a long time..............
  • Options
    atiqatiq Member Posts: 2
    Congrats afmx1, I guess you got the best deal so far I have seen. I also got quote from McDavid Honda, Irving, TX for EX $25361+ttl. I am hoping some one beat that price just like you got.
  • Options
    1 subaru owner1 subaru owner Member Posts: 4
    Could you tell me what dealership that quote was from and where they are located?
    Thanks, Tedie
  • Options
    hasmanhasman Member Posts: 9
    The dealership is Valley Honda and its on Ogden Ave in Aurora, IL. They should be easy to locate through the Honda website.
  • Options
    eln001eln001 Member Posts: 32
    Many forum members were routinely buying Ody EX-Ls w/Nav & Res for $30,674 from Brilliance Honda in Crystal Lake, Illinois since January '06. This was long before the current $500 factory to dealer incentive. I think you can easily beat Hasman's price now. I recommend that you also shop at O'Hare Honda in Des Plaines,Ill, Grand Honda in Elmhurst,Ill, and Continental Honda in Countryside,Ill. Please post where you received your best deal. Historically, the listed dealers are the most competitive in Chicagoland,but Crystal Lake always has the lowest price quote. At this time, you should get the van for at least $1200 under invoice.
  • Options
    I Am almost decided that I am going with Valley Honda in Aurora. The tax is cheaper - 6.5 while the others have better price but tax is higher - 7% which makes a $100 diff on the price But oTD the Valley Honda guys are cheaper and Valley honda is next door to my house.

OTD - 29044 + desired accesories (Ipod Link, sPlash Guards, Trunk Tray and Door edgers)
  • Options
    sj1bj1sj1bj1 Member Posts: 20
    Which dealer gave you this quote? I am in the same area (Northern Virginia) looking for the same specs.
  • Options
    A few things you said are not true:
    1. Supply is NOT short.
    - Dealers will have 2006 units incoming through August.
    - Honda does NOT put dealer cash on Units in short supply, they put dealer cash when supply is too high and they want to help the dealers work off the excess units

2. Dealers do NOT have the advantage
    - In NJ you can take a 45 min drive on RT 22 and pass 5 (thats right 5) Honda dealers
    - When Honda allows so many franchises so close together the CUSTOMER has the advantage. They can play the dealers against each other, and simply get up and leave if the price isnt right.
    - I'm sure this scenario is present in many other major markets around the country

Parts of your previous post sound like something a dealer might say to me as he was trying to close a deal.

There is a BUYERS market for Odys right now....
    If anyone wants to buy one @ Dealers true cost in NY,NJ,PA let me know and I'll help you out.