2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    rwyatt27rwyatt27 Member Posts: 3
    I have been looking around and getting prices of 300 -400 over invoice. Has anyone seen prices below that in Missouri? I would like to know where so I can buy also.
  • Options
    atuzaiatuzai Member Posts: 47
    It will be hard to ask service record for new car. but if mileage >30 or more, I think you need push them to show it to you. Otherwise just walk away. As long as you have not sign the contract, you have the power.

We went to the dealer ourself, no lawyer with us.
  • Options
    Yes we are in LA area. We only contact two dealer: Goudy and penske. We drove 40 miles to Penske because theri price was $2000 below invoice ( although it turn out too good to be ture, lucky we catched them and solved the problem with better deal).

The Goudy gave us $1000 below invoice for LX on test drive without any pressure. So if you push hard you may get better from them.

Penske is still a choice. They have more than 40 odyssey on lots. and most of sales including general manager are nice. But the sales general manager is very rude and hard to deal. Also avoid the internet advisor , he was the cheater in our case. If you go to the Penske, there is a selling record for all the sales man, he is the 4th or 5th now.

good luck!
  • Options
    jaedleejaedlee Member Posts: 59
    Thanks! Appreciate the info. Did you email them with a price quote or did you walk in for test drive. Thank you again.

Jae
  • Options
    I emailed Penske. Walked in Goudy for test drive. I believe it is good idea to send emails to all dealerships around and go to best quote or ask big name close u match the best quote.
  • Options
    skhoslaskhosla Member Posts: 22
    I am going to the dealer tomorrow. In fact, I managed to bring him down to 28000 even! I hope I seal the deal tomorrow, after which point I'd let you know the dealer's name. Sorry to keep you in suspense.
  • Options
    mlm1mlm1 Member Posts: 3
    rreed2, I am looking for the same thing. What dealership did you end up with? Did you use the internet dept? Thanks!
  • Options
    cdwhiplcdwhipl Member Posts: 3
    We are wondering if we received a good price on the Odyssey EX-L with RES and Fog light and Crossbars for 29903 before tax, title and Doc Fee.....They began with an offer of 29,320 before we add on the fog lights and cross bars and showed us the invoice...it showed 29,6something. Is this a good deal for the MI area? Also, there is 500 cash back and 4.99% financing. We were told Honda rarely offers these incentives...is this also true? Any help would be appreciated!
  • Options
    odydriverodydriver Member Posts: 6
    I'm a first time poster and wanted to thank everyone on the forum. All the comments and advice have been very helpful (both this time around in my purchase of a 2006 ody and when I leased my 2004 ody).

Just got a EX-L w/ DVD and NAVI in the Bay Area in Sage Brush with Olive interior.

Got quotes from Oakland internet dept ($33,888 out the door) and San Leandro ($30,646 with destination, about $200 less than Oakland out the door).

As I was about to purchase, got a late quote from El Cerrito internet dept for $30,121, where I ended up getting the car. Paid 8.75% tax, $264 reg, $28 electronic DMV filing fee, $45 doc fee, $8.75 tire fee ($33,101.28 out the door). The car ended up having wheel locks and pro pack, so they came free with the vehicle.

Very painless transaction. Visited Friday morning to inspect car and purchased Saturday morning after it was detailed. Was in the dealership for less than 2 hours (20 minutes was spent with my wife who was thinking about getting a different color at the last minute).

I will say that all the dealers I worked with were very friendly. I would recommend any of them to friends and family.

Don't know if I got the best deal out there, but it was the best I could do. The El Cerrito rep said he made a mistake in my quote by about $190, but was going to honor the price. I have no reason to disbelieve him and I feel I got a good deal... I asked around about a EX-L RES & NAVI that was apparently purchased by a poster on this forum for $30,200 ($33,008) from San Leandro, but no one could confirm that purchase or match that out the door price.

Thanks again everyone for your help.
  • Options
    rreed2rreed2 Member Posts: 4
    Hi mlm1.

I ended up at Honda of Bellevue due to proximity reasons, but be prepared to play their negotiating games. I would decide on a price range that you're willing to purchase the car at, and be steadfast and stick to that range regardless of what accessories they've added to the car. Also, prepare yourself to leave without the car. Based on what I've read on this board regarding Seattle prices, I wasn't expecting to get the car. This time as well as years ago when I purchased an Accord, I had to make a motion to leave the premises before they took me seriously.

It probably didn't hurt to have an indifferent attitude about the car. I was constantly mentioning that I didn't care much about the minivan, it was my wife that wanted it and that I didn't care about the accessories and that they could go ahead and remove them.

I got a list of internet quotes from other dealers, but did not get a quote from them. I did this just to figure out what price the dealers around here are probably selling these cars. I wanted a better deal than these internet quotes.

If you end up with the car and decide to get the extended warranty, I would get some online quotes, bring a physical copy of them and ask them to match. You'll save lots of $$$ that way. I saved about 50% off their initial quote.
  • Options
    eln001eln001 Member Posts: 32
    Which dealer did you choose to purchase your Ody from and what was the purchase price? I have heard rumor that the 750 dollar incentive may be increased to 1000 dollars and extended through June. Thanks.
  • Options
    cdwhiplcdwhipl Member Posts: 3
    We are looking at the odyssey ex-l res and there is a 500 cash back from Honda along with 4.99% financing. Someone told me Honda doesn't make these offers very often...is that true? We live in Michigan, but I see in Chicago area they are offering $750 cash back....sorry, but we are new to this..haven't purchased a new car in 8 years:) Thanks!
  • Options
    ody626ody626 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to this forum, I believe I got a good deal and would like to report my experience here.

I got a Odyssey EX-L today for $268xx plus doc fee $45, tax $2083, license $239, for a total OTD of $292xx. The dealer is Norm Reeves Honda at Temecula. I got the quote from a LA dealer and Norm Reeves matched it immediately. The only drawback is the color selection is limited to the in stock cars. I also contacted two other San Diego dealers. Their prices are at least $700 more and would not match the LA price.

The Norm Reeves rep was very up front and helpful. The transaction was smooth. Compared with my previous dealership experiences, I would say the car purchase through the internet department is the way to go!
  • Options
    msim2020msim2020 Member Posts: 12
    I am in the market to buy an Ex-L. Wondering if anybody has experiences from Richmond, Va area?
  • Options
    spk1spk1 Member Posts: 9
    Anti climax to my honda buying experience. I was getting good price for the Odyssey, but the trade for my car was not going above 13,000 (2005 Honda Accord LX).

I finally gave up and went to Carmax and bought a used Town and Country 2006 Touring (DVD, no leather) with 17k miles for 20k. I got 15k for my trade in.

So far I like the T&C, but wish it had leather.

Most of the dealerships announced specials today (memorial day), I will take one last look and see if I can trade the T&C for the same price and get a Ody.

Else, will go ahead and keep the T&C

spk1
  • Options
    jmurman42jmurman42 Member Posts: 675
    KBB shows your car in good condition for 18,500.
  • Options
    My accord had almost 19k miles and it is a base model LX and had a small accident and had to replace the front bumber.

I originally bought this for 18.5k one year back and thought 15k was reasonable, considering what other dealerships were offering. I was being offered 13k max.

Now I am headed out to Honda dealer to see if I can get a pilot or ody trading the 3 day old T&C which I got for 20k. If the dealer offers 20k for my trade and fairly decent price on pilot or ody, I will go for it.

I saw Grand Honda (chicago) advertise 06 Ody EXL for 26.6k. This shows under pre-driven with 4 miles on it. Not sure how this works. will check it out.

After today, this will be it. No more looking for cars for a while
  • Options
    sanvansanvan Member Posts: 21
    Congrat.

Whicih color you picked?

Thanks
  • Options
    Paid 28,200 (including destination fees) + TTL. Wanted the Ocean Mist, but the 06 models are all selling fast. We settled for Slate Green with Olive Interior (sweet!). Just seeing our 4yr-old enjoy the BIG space in the second row is worth all the money!

OOTD price was 25,800 (we had a 5000$ trade-in).
  • Options
    afmx1afmx1 Member Posts: 5
    I would like to thank all those who have posted. I learned a lot about buying a new car. The wife and I picked up an EX today. (She does not like leather.) I started my shopping by sending out request for quotes to all dealers within 50 miles. I got quotes for $1000 below invoice right away. I was ready to go down to seal the deal the next day. But I had to wait until the MRS test drove it first. So figure I send out some more quote request to dealers with in 75 miles last night. Boy was I surprised when I got a low quote of $24751 + TTL this morning.

This afternoon went to Capitol Honda to test drive. They were one of the few dealers who did not give me a price over email. But I wanted my wife to test drive it first and they were the closest dealer. (Plus they had the color we wanted.) They were really busy because of the Veteran's Day Sale. After the test drive, we talked numbers and they wanted more than we would like. So I told them about the lowest quote I got. Capitol matched the offer and my wife drove home in her new Ody!
  • Options
    vj99vj99 Member Posts: 1
    Congratulations! Can you please share the name of the dealership? I am looking to buy a similar model in bay area. Thx.
  • Options
    ody626ody626 Member Posts: 2
    We got the Desert Rock. My first choice was Ocean Mist, which they did not have in stock.
  • Options
    Stevens Creek Honda.

In fact, even Anderson Honda would match the price. But they only have silver in stock. Capital Honda would also do it, but they were not offering me a good value for my trade.
  • Options
    s65s65 Member Posts: 54
    If you find a dealer who needs a unit in the next day or two you could simply offer him

INVOICE - DEALER CASH - HOLDBACK

If he needs a unit to make his number he will accept.
    And if he is really desperate he may even accept lower...
    I've seen it happen.
    The General Manager is not going to lose his monthly bonus over a couple of hundred dollars gross on a deal.

These deals are available out there but are most likely when you go to the dealer in person and have a bank check in your hand. Have it made out to yourself for say $25k and put the remaining balance on your credit card (and earn a few points or miles.)
  • Options
    jenkinsismejenkinsisme Member Posts: 30
    Seriously now- why would a dealer actually LOSE money in order to sell you a van? I don't think you will find a dealer looking to sell anything below dealer cash and holdback. I don't care what month or day or time it is.
  • Options
    Congrats, afmx1.

Which dealers you got your Odyssey? Are you in north or south Calif?

Thanks
  • Options
    afmx1, sorry, I missed the title of your post.
    Thanks
  • Options
    I've done it before.
    In 2004 I bought an Accord EX-L (with 3 miles)
    for
    INV - HB - DC - 700

Perhaps in your area you can't, but in NJ it can be done.
  • Options
    dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    s65, I don't doubt that it cannot be done but it is the exception and not the rule..

People can try to get the deal you mentioned, but they better be ready to spend significant time and be ready to get turned down about 95% of the time.

The last guy that I saw post a deal like yours on this forum found out his "new" van had been in an accident and had also a previous owner via carfax and the DMV...

As my grandpa used to say, if the deal is too good to believe, it is probably not a good deal...
  • Options
    charlos1charlos1 Member Posts: 7
    Congrats skhosla. You win.
    We bought an EX-L w/ RES Silver pearl metallic (the color we wanted) Friday night at San Leandro Honda (internet department) for $28,506 and feel it was a good price.

When I contacted my insurance company to change my auto coverage for the new vehicle, the representative said really great things about this car including:
    -- '03 & '04 Odyssey owners trading in for the '06's because it's a good improvement over the previous models.
    -- all the safety features (that I didn't really know about)
    -- and the lower insurance rate than the '01 4-door sedan that I traded in--- that really surprised me.

Anybody have any recommendations about options such as bike racks or overhead carriers?
  • Options
    davidchantfdavidchantf Member Posts: 2
    Just bought EX-L at this great price:

1. $26,387
    2. Destination $550
    3. deal processing fee $99
    4. 5% MD tax.
    5. title and tag

It is really great to buy from O'DONNELL HONDA INTERNET DEPARTMENT, everything is ready when I walk in, I sent them email Sat, and got price back Sunday, it was actually the last reply from all the dealers, but I am glad I wait till late Sunday.

David
  • Options
    dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    That is a great deal! Welcome to the club..

You will love your van..
  • Options
    duperduper Member Posts: 127
    Congrats. I found that Capitol Honda is good at price matching too. They matched my price but didn't have the color we wanted.

The 2006 is selling good now and those that wait may not get the color they wanted :)
  • Options
    sgolvansgolvan Member Posts: 18
    Haven't been to this forum for quite sometime since my last post. Atuzai, sorry to hear your problem and you make me want to make a call to the sales person to verify my car was brand new without any problem before I bought it. My purpose to post on this forum was not to 'lure' anyone. I am a real person, a customer with nothing to do with any car dealer. I have more important things to do in life instead try to 'fool' anyone here. I feel your pain and I am going to open up my email to 'public' so that you can send your email to me if it makes you feel better to 'talk' to me.

There are cheaters around. Atuzai's anger is justified. But, people, we are here to get information to get a better deal for the car! Dont' get paranoid too much and lost our focus. Whenever the dealer cheats, like in you case, they just 'offer' themselves for a potential expensive law suit. I still don't understand why they are so stupid.

By the way, I didn't receive any email from you regarding this and I haven't check this forum for quite some time because I thought my service to this forum was done. Please write to me if you like. My email is open to you...
  • Options
    wantavan1wantavan1 Member Posts: 5
    Glad to report that we enjoyed the most hassle free new car purchase experience ever! The internet sales rep from Faulkner Honda, in PA had taken my offer of $25K plus TTL for an ODY EX, champagne. We are thrilled with the overall deal, they stood by their word, transaction was easy and smooth and NO SALES NONSENSE!!!! I highly recommend them. :)
  • Options
    sardasarda Member Posts: 3
    can anyone know good dealers in san diego area please let me know thank you
  • Options
    At Planet Honda (Union NJ)
    The car had 7 miles on it after the Prep test drive.

Here is the breakdown:
    EX-L $26,305
    NJ Tax 6% $1578
    NJ Tire Tax $7.50
    Registration $322
    Doc $189
    Out the Door $28,401

It appears as if the dealer lost about $500 from his "Triple Net" Cost.

The sales manager needed 7 units today to make his number and he was willing to lose $500 gross to get the deal done. And he can do this because it gets buried in his monthly total (he made enough money on other cars earlier in the month).

So in answer to the two questions posted by other forum members :
    1. INV - HOLDBACK - DEALER CASH - $500
    can be had at Planet Honda in Union NJ

2. A manager would do this because he wants his monthly bonus and doesn't care about gross at this point.

Oh by the way, I love the van.
  • Options
    vnukalvnukal Member Posts: 2
    Hi afmx, Do you mind telling which dealership gave you a quote of $24751 for the EX. I am in the bay area and looking to buy a car today.
  • Options
    jenkinsismejenkinsisme Member Posts: 30
    Contrary to your statement, the management pay is based on Gross, not unit counts. Congrats, you stole an odyssey. Maybe he wanted the unit count to beat another dealer, but it is not because he will get paid more.
  • Options
    At this dealership (Planet) the management pay plan is based on both, but he had a unit goal to make and I was glad to help him out.
  • Options
    notsoccermomnotsoccermom Member Posts: 3
    Last day of May and tried to get an EX-L under invoice. Paying cash, no trade. Went to the dealer with the best quote on the phone (28,300+ ttl) this evening and succeeded in talking them down to 28K, but then they wanted an add'l $300 in dealer added accessories. No deal. Have received much better offers in California and Oregon, so will likely go there.
  • Options
    afmx1afmx1 Member Posts: 5
    Hi vnukal, I hope you were able to get the same price. Winter Honda in Pittsburg was the dealer that quoted the price. I also received an email special from Anderson for $500 off the original offer of $25,212 yesterday.
  • Options
    howard2dot0howard2dot0 Member Posts: 45
    I got a quote for a lease on EX-L for 12k miles/36 months @ $535/month with no down payment in Houston. Do you guys think that this is a good deal?
    What are the chances of Honda offering a special lease on EX-L, EX-L RES, etc in June and July?
    Thanks for your input.
  • Options
    vnukalvnukal Member Posts: 2
    Just drove back from Anderson Honda with the Honda EX.
    Bought for $24360 + TTL.
    They were price matching a $24860 quote from Stevens Creek Honda - $500 coupon which expires today (in 1 hour).

Also bought 5years warranty for $1475 (not sure if it is a good deal). But have the option of cancelling within 2 months if I get a better rate elsewhere.
  • Options
    Use www.myhondwarranty.com you can get an 8year/120k for less than that.
  • Options
    ekdekd Member Posts: 1
    Thanks to everyone for posting your buying info. Via Internet quotes (from 6 dealers), best quote on EXL-RES was $28,447 from O'Hare Honda in Des Plaines. No tricks - they sold it to me for that price (which included destination but not tax, title, license, doc) and even did a dealer trade for my color. No pressure to buy absolutely anything - warranties, accessories etc. They also came up on their trade-in price to match CarMax's quote. Easy transaction - nice personnel.
  • Options
    ekd,
    Congratulations on the new Ody. I really like O'Hare Honda and their sales staff. I went there yesterday and got a good price for the Ody, but the trade in was well below the mark. This was the second time. I had to walk away because it was quite a difference in trade value.

Last night I closed the deal at Jacobs Twin Honda for EXL-Res, silver for 27,2xx including destination. This one had some hail damage, I did not mind the few dents it had for 1K savings. I got the Honda financing deal as well.

After one month I am done
  • Options
    eerkeleerkel Member Posts: 1
    Just to confirm davidchantf's post:

I purhcased an EX-L from O'DONNELL HONDA in Maryland for:
    1. $26,387
    2. Destination $550
    3. deal processing fee $99
    4. 3% VA tax.
    5. title and tag

The experience was great, very refreshing. Plus, gave me $200 more on my trade than I was going to get from the more expensive dealer. I wish I could post the salesperson's name, nice guy to deal with.

Thank you davidchantf for your post!

Ethan
  • Options
    sw_ohsw_oh Member Posts: 23
    I have until July 27 to turn in my leased GM van. Which dates would be best to purchase a new Odyssey, the end of June or middle/late July? I have read that the end of the month is best, but did not know if the middle of July might be appealing as the need to move 06 Ody's might increase.

BTW, looking to purchase in the Dayton/Cincinnati area.
  • Options
    besunnybesunny Member Posts: 4
    Purchased from Norm Reeves at Cerritos. Price breakdown is invoice-$500 incentive-3% of holdback. People at the internet sales dept. are straightfowrad and friendly, no gimmicks. Also get the 3.9% Apr for 24 months, which beats the 5.95% rate from my credit union. A pleasant shopping experience overall!