Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    sevenlanesevenlane Member Posts: 3
    I am in san jose, CA, dealer offer on LX is $23,062 plus tax & license.
    June's promotion is almost same as May. do you think there is additional rebate on July 4th? if not, I would like to buy now. on july 4th, dealer is softer to deal with or harder?
  • Options
    sevenlanesevenlane Member Posts: 3
    yes, last week, the dealer here also told me that $1500 end on last monday.
    however, this morning, email from dealer show similar offer on LX as last week's. do not if there is special discount for July 4th only.
  • Options
    jscreenjscreen Member Posts: 6
    Hi Rangersace,
    Not sure if you tried to send already, but unfortunately it didn't come through. I'd like to send the emails out later today, so if it's possible to forward worksheet to joeltcc yahoo.com

Thanks so much!
  • Options
    drivmywifecrzydrivmywifecrzy Member Posts: 61
    What dealer in Atlanta?
  • Options
    hitoravihitoravi Member Posts: 7
    Did dealer say that offer is valid till xyz date?
  • Options
    magilladkemagilladke Member Posts: 15
    I'm not sure if they'll offer much more of a discount. I'm also not sure on the LX pricing, but if it's well below invoice and they have the color you want I'd go for it. It's probably not worth your trouble to wait until July 4. They are getting slim on color/model combos, so that's something to keep in mind as well.
  • Options
    inspectoringinspectoring Member Posts: 102
    That is a good price - in NJ they are selling those at 800 more. I just sent out the emails using the spreadsheet provided by rangersace last night.

It really good when you don't have the time to buy immediately and the dealers can't coerce you into buying. So far I have the official quote for EX-L for 29100 (including dest) and 30400 for EX-L with RES.

Not certain if the RES is worth the extra money.
  • Options
    flashningflashning Member Posts: 3
    It is curry honda in Chamblee. I can't put any dealer information due to forum rule
  • Options
    flashningflashning Member Posts: 3
    I liked RES before, but I finally decide to purchase an IPAD to insatall at back of seat.
  • Options
    rangersacerangersace Member Posts: 34
    I lookked at having a DVD professionally installed after and would have cost $800 or so. I went with RES and really like it. You can control from front, DVD player is in front and also comes with 120VAC outlet in back for wii/others as well as audio inputs. For me if you have kids it well worth it and if you go with an extended warranty it's fully covered.

Regarding warranty I'm going to go with 8yr/120K for $1295 no tax from one of the 2 dealers (both in MA) mentioned on this site. Reason being is with some much electronics, power doors, tailgate, DVD, XM radio, etc... the $162 a year it will cost is a good insurance policy. Who knows nothing may ever fail but if one of thoe items goes it's easy $1000.
  • Options
    petes999petes999 Member Posts: 5
    Got delivery of my Ex-L with Res for 30,600 plus $150 for mud flaps (it had already been installed in PA where the dealer found the car. A friend got a black one for $30,800. The deals in Ohio aren't as good as NJ or Chicago due to the low supply. We had tried to buy them together but dealers said that it was harder to get 2 in the colors we wanted than just one. So, we went our separate deals and traded quotes. She actually used one of my quotes to get her deal.

I used Hogan method to extent. Got 4-5 deals and then took the lowest and went to other dealers and most went lower. Also, not she started with an EX ody with Consumer Reports and got $1,600 below invoice and $1,200 below invoice. Then she did an Ex-L with me and only got $1,200 below invoice. So I just went to edmunds.com and asked for quotes under my name and got many lower than Consumer Reports. Then went to kbb.com to get dealers for more than 20 miles away and quoted my lowest Edmunds.com and went from 30,987 (said 30.9 was lowest so saved $100 just there) and got the $30,600. Some said they wouldn't bid because they could sell their remaining cars for more. But, others weren't as picky.
  • Options
    minimommyminimommy Member Posts: 13
    How are you attaching the ipad to the back of the seat?? (I'm assuming to the back of the front headrest) I've looked online and don't see anything being sold to do this, but I guess I'm not looking it up correctly.
  • Options
    Ok guys - I am really really really torn. I have a car waiting for me that I really really like - but I can't help but wonder what the new one waiting for me have. I found a dealer in PA who has the cherry red color and is selling me for 30,400 for EX-L with RES but as I said - I would hate it if I saw the new one and the interior was a lot better.
    When I was in the market for Toyota Sienna - everyone said that the 2011 will not be discounted for a while but within a week of hitting the market they were priced between invoice and MSRP - if that is going to be the case with Odyssey - I am all in and would not mind waiting.

The Bluetooth calling is sort of a very useful feature and the online reviews of the GPS bluetooth are not promising at a glance (would greatly appreciate any input).

I also wish there was a way to get an aftermarket product that would give me video input (again - any input would be appreciated).
  • Options
    I too was in the same situation but went with the 2010 because my wife really didnt want to wait until early fall and didn't want to pay a couple of thousand more. IMO, you pay at least $3000 more because I've heard they are moving some features down like Toyota which will raise the MSRP.

Here's the best web site I found for the 2011 which might help your decision.

http://iguida.com/2011-honda-odyssey

At the end of the day you need to weigh what might be new w/the 2011, styling and price.

Good luck.
  • Options
    ccdeviccdevi Member Posts: 5
    So I pulled the trigger last night. Paid $32,700 including destination, not including 199 doc fee, taxes, etc. I know thats not nearly the best people seem to have gotten, from my reading it seems like some got about $32 flat, but its the best I could do given the effort I was willing to put in (which was email maybe 10 dealers, some of whom didn't get back to me, some of whom didn't have what I wanted and some others who I'll describe briefly below).

DCH Paramus - by email offered me about 33, when I said by email I wanted to pay 32, he called me and said at 32 do we have a deal, I said I want to sit in the car (I hadn't even seen it yet) but yes. When I called him back a day or two later he said he could only do 32.7 and kind of mumbled about his manager and the "32 do we have a deal" thing. Perhaps I could have went to the showroom and got him down a bit but he didn't have any color I wanted in stock so he had to get one. I never followed up.

Garden State Honda in Passaic - quoted me $32,900 on the phone, said come in and we'll do better. When I came in the salesman, who was a complete [non-permissible content removed] the whole time, first tried to tell me they quoted me 1500 more then they did, then admitted that wasn't the case but then would not budge off the quote, telling me that its a $38k car. Again he was a total [non-permissible content removed]. Terrible experience, waste of time.

Hillside Honda in Jamaica, Queens. Would not give me a price on the phone, said to come in. Against my better judgment I did only because I could get there by subway. Salesmen was pleasant enough but they wouldn't do better than 32.8, to my ask of $32 he said "its never going to happen". They also didn't have any in stock even though on the phone and on their website they said they had I think 5 in stock. Waste of time.

D&C Honda of Tenafly. This is where I purchased. Pretty good experience. She offered me 33 by email and said she would do better in the showroom. I came in. She was pleasant and let me play with the car for as long as I wanted. I told her my research told me people had been getting about 32. She spoke to her manager and came down to 32.9 and threw in some oil changes and a portable gps. Told me about how they are a family business and that other dealers will tell you great numbers but don't deliver. I have since read that is their typical pitch. Thats ok, again she was pleasant, I'm willing to listen. I was tired of the whole process, my time is more valuable then squeezing every $, and told her we had a deal at 32.7. She spoke to her manager and flat refused. That was on Memorial day, I was really surprised. We said pleasant goodbyes and I left, I told her I'd think about it. Next day she emailed me back to see what I was thinking. I asked her about price and she emailed me and she said she could do better than the 32.9. I called her and she told me if I came in today she'd give me the 32.7. I couldn't but put down a small deposit and went in yesterday and finished it. I'd also note they obviously offered me the extended warranty but didn't push too hard. I'm thinking about that, any thoughts? I think he said 1200 for 7 years/85k miles.

Anyway that was my experience. This is actually the first car I ever bought and it wasn't a particularly pleasant experience. I'm pretty shocked at how dealers operate, not so much how they are dishonest/tell you what you want to hear, but at their general lack of responsiveness by email (ie no response, slow response, or responses that don't answer the questions you ask), poor even hostile attitude in the showroom, lack of inventory, etc. My experience was that it was often hard to tell whether or not they actually wanted to sell you a car. My wife who's a former sales person in another field was very surprised at what little she saw.

Thanks for all the advice on the board.
  • Options
    pearliegirlpearliegirl Member Posts: 38
    We pulled the trigger on the Odyssey on Monday, and are picking it up today.

2010 EX-L w/ RES & NAV
    Price of the car: $31,999

We ended up leasing:
    36 months
    12k miles/year
    53% residual
    Monthly payment: $450 (includes everything rolled in, taxes, etc.)
    -price includes
    -acquisition fee: $595
    -doc fee: $299
    -registration with new plates: $125
    -wheel locks: $99
    -taxes included as well

The only thing we "put down" was the first month ($450), and that was it.
    We are in the Boston area.

Any thoughts?
  • Options
    minimommyminimommy Member Posts: 13
    Is there an advantage to buying from local dealer vs. from another dealer close by but not as close? I'm in suburban area with MANY Honda dealers... my local dealer doesn't have color I want but others in suburban area do. Is there any advantage to me to have local dealer get the Ody in color (light blue) I think I want... or is it better to just go to the other (still nearby, just not as close) dealers who have the car in color?? Local dealer has my 2nd choice color (white). I don't want to ask dealer this question! They'll want me to let them get van (if they can) from other dealer. I'd like to service the vehicle at the local dealer.
  • Options
    10odyownersj10odyownersj Member Posts: 1
    Closed on Saturday and picked up on Monday, $29,290 (Includes desination, but not T,T,Docs) at dealership in Marlton, NJ.

Price included VEK package (mud flaps, wheel locks,cargo tray, and glass etching) which was already on vehicle, and which we may have been able to haggle a few more dollars off to drop the bottom line, but we were happy with the deal, the color choice, and a dealership that is less than 10 miles from home.

I concur with the previous posts about dwindling stocks and color choices, most of the dealers i contacted had less than 10 Odysseys on their lot, some less than 5.

I used the Fighting Chance package (google it), and although much of the same information can be acquired by reading and researching, especially on this very forum, I found it a valuable and concise source of accurate information and would recommend it if asked. We were on a time constraint to purchase and I actually found and read more of this thread after our deal was made, so in respect to the prices posted here I feel the information I received was sound.

I started Wednesday evening contacting dealers in the Philly Metro area, and by Saturday morning had enough vehicle pricing and OTD cost info to negotiate the final deal at the local dealership that we wanted to buy at. We still had to haggle a bit and even got to the door to leave at one point, but it worked out in the end. I will add that it proved more difficult than I thought to get actual OTD prices from many dealers, but what I did get proved to be valuable, as costs like doc fees in NJ don't seem to be regulated and some had "mandatory" dealer installed options, which eventually figured into where we purchased. Oh, and we will buy an extended warranty from one of the online dealers at what is a fair price.

Kudos to all the posters on here, especially Hogan773 and rangerspace, all this information really empowers the consumer. Hope this helps someone else.
  • Options
    That sounds like a good deal. What would be the price you would have to pay if you choose purchase it at the end of the lease?
  • Options
    Around $20K. Which is a lot I think, but isn't that calculated based on the residual? The good and bad of Honda's hihg residual rates.
  • Options
    Is the buyback price negotiable? If so, how do you negotiate it, and does that impact anything else, like what they'll sell it to you for, etc.? Is it commonplace to negotiate the buyback price?
  • Options
    Thanks rangersace - may I ask - how would you plug in the wii? With the 2010 model - can I have an external video source?
  • Options
    staceygstaceyg Member Posts: 1
    We bought a 2010 EX-L with RES on 5/31 in Atlanta for the following:

587 destination

OTD:31,988

We used the email method and it was painless. We narrowed it down to three and then threw out a lower price by $500 and a big dealer matched it. Note that some of the internet manager addresses from the Build a honda site bounced back or we didn't hear from them. You need to keep track of what you sent and who you hear back from and can always call the dealer to get an updated email address. I started emailing on thursday and bought our van on Monday, memorial day.
  • Options
    minivanforkidsminivanforkids Member Posts: 2
    Hi rangersace, I'm also looking to purchase an Odyssey in NJ by end of June, would you please send me the spreadsheet as well? My email is yau88@yahoo.com. Many thanks
  • Options
    I picked up the van last night. Got it home, and the kids were so excited to jump in. They loved it!

I found out about the buyback price. It is calculated using the MSRP. They multiply the MSRP times the residual rate (which in my case was 53%). I think the money factor may figure in as well, but that is too complicated for me.
  • Options
    I posted this in the 2011 forum as well, but figured this one probably gets read more. I spoke to a very senior manager at one of the biggest Honda dealerships in the country last night when I picked up my new '10, and he said that the 2011 Touring will have AWD!
  • Options
    jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    After invoice, $1500 dealer incentive and holdback the figures on the EX-L are $28,873. I paid $29,350 and he had to do a dealer trade. I felt pretty good about that. I got what I wanted and the dealer made a profit, not a big one but enough. Dealers should be able to make some profit off of these cars they have families and bills too. Tough job they have.

You ate into the dealers holdback... leaving enough profit to buy a couple happy meals. :sick:
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • Options
    bellmonsterbellmonster Member Posts: 12
    Hi Rangerspace,
    May I also have a copy of your spreadsheet? my email is askripek at gmail.com

I am looking at XL with RES and NAV. I see 32, 450 (which is a higher price than 32,3 last month on amex website) but I don't think it includes the doc fees and taxes. I will be sending out an email with breakdown info so that I can see the total price but would appreciate seeing your spreadsheet first so that i am more informed. Thank you, as
  • Options
    mhmarmhmar Member Posts: 1
    Hello rangersace,

Can you email me the spreadsheet as well? We are in NJ and shopping...

My email address is hanworldmh aol com

... spaces are for @ and .

Thank you
  • Options
    shenanigansshenanigans Member Posts: 9
    You are right about the residual price being the MSRP multiplied by that percentage you had. The money factor is the interest rate that you will be paying on the amount financed. The money factor usually looks like this .00049 and you multiply that by 24 which will give you the percentage. So this money factor APR would be 1.17% which is Honda's current promo lease rate. Typically you negotiate the sell price (net cap cost) and with registration/lic. and any other fees would add up your final price (gross cap cost). If you have a down payment that will cover lic/reg and first months payment, and could lower the amount financed. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    jim99000jim99000 Member Posts: 11
    rangerspace,

Would greatly appreciate you sending me your spreadsheet. I'm looking to buy an Odyssey in NJ in the next few weeks (in advance of child #3).

njseller55@yahoo.com (the email address I use for Craigslist, etc.)

Thanks,

Jim
  • Options
    dofastdofast Member Posts: 6
    Hi rangersace, I'm also looking to purchase an Odyssey in NJ by end of June, would you please send me the spreadsheet as well? My email is yfwei99@gmail.com. Thanks a lot
  • Options
    Hi inspectoring,

The video inputs are in the drivers side 3rd row under a little panel in the are rest. I believe its only if you have RES. The 120VAC outlet is there also.
  • Options
    Hi ccdevi,

$1200 for that warranty is very high. I got quotes from two dealers in ma, bernardi and hyanniss honda, for the 8yr/120k mile no deductable warranty for $1295. There is also no tax as you are out of state. Bernardi also offered 0% for we months but didn't ask the other yet. Just go to their service sites and request a quote. Many others on this forum have puchased the warranty there.

Good luck.
  • Options
    shrivishshrivish Member Posts: 1
    Bought one yesterday in the city. Paid 29760 + TTL. The dealer threw in backup sensors and cargo mat in the price. Also gave 1 year of free oil changes which i guess will be about 3 in the first year.

Felt it was a good price based on the price quotes received from few other dealers in and around the city.
  • Options
    sbj4sbj4 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Rangersace,

We are living in central NJ and looking for Odyssey. Can I get a spreadsheet too? My email is leederun@hotmail.com. Many thanks!
  • Options
    ramapraramapra Member Posts: 5
    Purchased one for $ 32500 in Redwood city .
    Dealer told me that he couldnt go lower.
    Got the Honda Maintenance package for 7 yr 80K miles .
  • Options
    beirneadbeirnead Member Posts: 5
    What dealership did you purchae from?
  • Options
    pmpatelpmpatel Member Posts: 23
    Hi ramapra,

Can you share the price for Honda Maint pkg for 7 yr 80K miles? and with how much deductible?

Thanks
  • Options
    helengirl09helengirl09 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Rangersave,

Nice job on Odyssey hunting! I live in New Jersey too and want to buy it pretty soon. Would you please send me the spreadsheet to my email address helengirl09@yahoo.com? Many thanks in advance.
  • Options
    infinitiiinfinitii Member Posts: 9
    Hello Shrivish

Can you let me know the dealer & SalesPerson Name ,I am also planning to buy a Honda Odyssey EX-L with RES this month.My email address is kysaleem@gmail.com.

Thanks
  • Options
    nashkatonashkato Member Posts: 1
    Just took delivery on a 2010 Odyssey EX (no leather or RES or any other options). MSRP 30,615. Sale price 25,750 + 3% tax, tags, license, 479 dealer fee =

27,123.50 OTD

Very happy with the experience, dealer, and vehicle. Color and availability starting to become an issue with the base 2010 EX and especially the LX. Lowest OTD price obtained was 26,788.08 at another dealer, but color was a problem, so +$250 in transfer fees to get it plus distance & hassle to get. Don't regret paying a little more.
  • Options
    Am i allowed to disclose the dealer name in this forum . Hint - area where I purchased ...
  • Options
    around 2200 with zero deductable .
  • Options
    for a car in the $30's its unfortunate that there is no ipod control .
    Also what's up with the video in and why is at the back ?
  • Options
    bala78bala78 Member Posts: 7
    Took delivery yesterday. Booked on 5/31. Here is the price:

Price: 27,343.00
    Documentation,Title,Inspection etc: 448.00
    Tax@6.25% 1,708.00
    OTD price: 29,500.00

Dealer was not willing to give 1.9% financing, so financed at 4.1%

Experience was positive on the whole and like the vehicle so far.

Many thanks to this forum.
  • Options
    odyssey4usodyssey4us Member Posts: 45
    edited June 2010
    That $27,100 sounds good for the EX. I have been given quotes of $27,400 OTD here in Alabama. It seems like the EX-L is about $3k more so far. If it was only $2k more than an EX, we might buy that instead. Anyway, I guess we better hurry before they run out of 2010s, huh?
  • Options
    hostilehostile Member Posts: 1
    Purchased 2010 Odyssey Touring Polished Metal Metallic Out the Door for $35,000 from Sanford Honda in NC. (This price was inclusive of all fees and price except for taxes). Additionally, they accepted an offer of $32,078 on a 2010 EX-L w/ RES and NAV out the door price, but did not have the color I wanted.

Method:
    I began w/ ZAG (using USAA car buying), found the lowest price within 200 miles. I then emailed price to each dealer individual until I secured the lowest price. Called the dealer to place a deposit and picked up vehicle without hassle, saving me approx $900 below the dealers Zag price.

Thanks again, to all the posters. The info I found on here save me almost $1000.
  • Options
    familyguy123familyguy123 Member Posts: 4
    I need to get a 2010 odyssey EX. is it possible to get one for 28,000 otd. I m from north jersey.
  • Options
    martylebmartyleb Member Posts: 2
    Rangersace: I am looking to buy a 2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L with Navi and would be very much interested in seeing your spreadsheet. You can email me at lebwohl[***AT***]deshaw.com (obviously omit the brackets and asterisks and use @). Thanks!

I'm new to this forum---what do people think a good goal would be to shoot for in terms of the OTD price for this vehicle in the NY/NJ/CT area? Thanks in advance.