Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Honda Odyssey 1999 - 2004

Comments

• Options
    ferneauferneau Member Posts: 9
    As people were mentioning the coverage area I thought I'd post this.

https://esales1.alpine-usa.com/dos/honda/cover_areas_honda.htm

This is a redirect from the Honda Customer Site in the Odyssey FAQ for ordering the updated DVDs.

Frankly I think the map is fairly useless as it doesn't have nearly enough information--nothing like a cellular phone provider has.

Anyway, just trying to wait out the days until my '02 SS EXL-Nav comes in...

--Mark
  • Options
    joekrish1joekrish1 Member Posts: 6
    I had an engine light come on last week. The dealership states that the TC solenoids have failed... after some diagnostic tests. "the codes say it's the solenoids"...so I'm having the transmission flushed and the solenoids replaced to the tune of $600......Anyone have a similar story......
  • Options
    DTKWOKDTKWOK Member Posts: 131
    Nope, can't say that I have. Your case should be covered by the warranty. Don't worry, Honda is pretty good in taking care of its customers.
  • Options
    dave84dave84 Member Posts: 75
    Wrong... the real measure is what kind of value you receive for the dollars you spend. The Odyssey has a value in and of itself, and also has added value because it is a hot commodity in limited supply. Why should you care what MSRP or invoice is? Why should you care how much Honda or the dealer makes on each Odyssey? You shouldn't. All you should care about is how much money you're spending relative to what you're getting (a top rated vehicle that is in limited supply). If you think the dealer is asking too high a price for the benefits and features of the Odyssey, THEN GO BUY ANOTHER BRAND. That's your personal choice, and it's not my business to tell you that you're right or you're wrong. If enough people do the same, Honda dealers will begin to lower their prices. But guess what? That's not happening. There are so many people out there who feel that the Odyssey is such a good VALUE, compared to other makes and models, that Honda dealers are easily selling every Odyssey, EVEN AT MSRP.

You say that "any way you cut it the company is the one walking away with most of the money." Yup, that's the way it usually works when you have a top rated, fast selling item that's perceived to be an exceptional VALUE. Anyway, who else SHOULD be walking away with any money? The way I've always thought it worked was I give my money to the company/dealer selling the vehicle (they are then free to "walk away" with it), and I drive away in my new car/truck/van.

Now, I'm not saying that the Odyssey is the perfect choice for everyone, and that you're an idiot if you buy any other type of mini van. Likewise, please don't tell me that I "would be better off simply being happy with the purchase and not trying to justify what (I) paid." Numerous favorable reviews of the Odyssey and the current marketplace should be enough of an indication that the Odyssey at MSRP compares extremely well with any other mini van on the market, even those with sales incentives that are discounted well below MSRP.
  • Options
    jmurman42jmurman42 Member Posts: 675
    good post
  • Options
    odd1odd1 Member Posts: 227
    jr needs to revisit econ101. Good job on the short explanation.
  • Options
    odd1odd1 Member Posts: 227
    Is it possible to archive some of this topic? It is starting to take a long time to load it now with over 3,000 posts?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    hmmm, shouldn't be an issue since it's only loading 20 posts at a time. I'll look into it. Thanks!

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• Options
    vikki26vikki26 Member Posts: 11
    Phoenix 2k1: thanks for the info on Arizona pricing. It follows what I've seeing here in metro Phx as well. Which way out-of-state have you been looking? I have folks in Southern CA and would consider driving/flying over there to save serious $$. Any info would be appreciated. vikki26
  • Options
    phoenix2001phoenix2001 Member Posts: 22
    vikki26, from the posts here I thinking southern Cal. is going to be as bad as Phoenix. I've been looking east to Albuquerque and El Paso. There are 2 dealerships in El Paso and 2 more an hour away in New Mexico. All say they won't dick around with options and accessories and none will charge above MSRP. El Paso is like a $75 one-way ticket and a day's drive back. Albuquerque costs the same but the dealers seem slimier.

I'm looking to buy in mid-November (wish I could wait longer) and I'm trying a tactic of approaching fleet or sales mgr's in order to skip the commissioned salespeople to get a better deal. I think $1,000 below MSRP is not unreasonable once the Alabama plant starts making Ody's.

I remember when the CR-V came out and people began buying it at MSRP+. Today, you can get one easily for invoice plus $300. I think the Ody will eventually be at invoice plus 500 by summer of 2002.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    This is all speculation on my part and what I've heard, but I highly doubt Odys will be at invoice +500 by next summer. Firstly, the Alabama plant will not be running at full capacity for quite some time. My understanding is that it is barely building anything yet. IIRC, as it's output increases, Ontario supposedly is to reduce its production. As Alabama reaches 120,000 (capacity), Ontario will be producing only for the Canadian market.

The excess capacity in Ontario is supposedly to go to MDX and a possible Honda badged variant of the MDX.

I wish for all of you invoice +500 but personally don't see it happening.
  • Options
    billg7billg7 Member Posts: 342
    This board is set up to only load 20 posts at one time, so archiving the posts does not solve anything. It is a lot harder to find the posts once they are archived.

So I would let the posts accumualate. It really works better that way. If it's not broke don't fix it.
  • Options
    agh1232000agh1232000 Member Posts: 1
    We're looking for a new 2001 Odyssey. I guess our timing is bad, because it seems no one has any left. Anybody have a line on where one might be available in Northern California? Thanks for your help!
  • Options
    Honda estimates total Odyssey annual capacity to be 200,000 vs. 250,000 annual demand so they believe there will still be a shortage even after the Alabama plant is at full capacity. But the 250,000 figure is highly suspect like any forecasted number. Currently, Honda is selling at an annual rate of 130,000 this year which has been limited by capacity. Going to 200,000 is like a 50% jump and to 250,000 is almost a 100% jump. And that 250,000 forecast was no doubt made before anyone realizes how long it will take for our economy to get back on track. Consumer confidence sucks even with the low interest rates.

I have no doubt that Honda will sell all of the Odyssey's it makes but the price will definitely be impacted by lowered demand. Basic supply and demand will lower prices but timing is everything. The people who really want the 2002 now will keep prices high for awhile but after that the waiting lists will whittle away or buyers buy another brand.

And the economy is probably going to crimp MDX
    sales far more than Odyssey sales.

Back when the CR-V came out we had a similar situation and prices fell (but the economy was 10 times better than now) so if you can be patient until next summer I think you will save at least $2,500 or more.
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    There are Southern California dealers selling at MSRP now. It should be interesting when production ramps up.
  • Options
    ody4meody4me Member Posts: 4
    Do you know of any San Diego dealers that are selling @ MSRP? Found a couple 1.5 hours north but if you know of any down here I'd much appreciate the info.
  • Options
    azmom1azmom1 Member Posts: 6
    I'm planning on buying a 2002 soon, and think I have MSRP--keeping in mind that the dealers charge a significant doc fee here. I will post details when further along. Do want to let you know that I had a very bad experience with Right Honda in Scottsdale, back when I was trying to buy a 2001. They took a deposit, told me I had a vehicle coming but ultimately changed the price and eventually sent my check back. Weasely sleaseballs.
    In the grand scheme of things, I think using a service like priceline (see raybear posts) would have been a bargain, in terms of saving on aggravation alone. Tried Costco pricing-they (showcase honda)were telling me about 395 above MSRP and it included some package stuff I would rather live without. When I talked to them before about the 2001 they gave my a bad price (can't recall what offhand) but later said there was no Costco price on the odddy. So you still have all the hassel of dealership stuff, whereas with priceline it sounds like a done deal.
    Phoenix2001-I don't think you'll see msrp-1000 on the 2002 for a long, long time unless the econony totally nosedives--look at the prices paid ody listings . The problem is the ody keeps getting those great reviews. But please keep posting your progress.
  • Options
    siennaguy32siennaguy32 Member Posts: 4
    I own an 99 XLE Sienna that I am getting ready to trade-up for a new 2002 mini-van. Was all ready to go with a 2002 Sienna to get the side air bags, dual sliding doors, entertainment system, etc.. Saw info on new 2002 Odyssey and have now changed my buying plans.

With leather on the Odyssey now available from the factory, as well as a DVD entertainment center and side air bags (and all for a MSRP of around $30,000) I am now going to go for an Odyssey instead of another Sienna.

MSRP on a XLE Sienna with all the similar options is going to run around $35,000. MSRP on a similarly loaded Odyssey EX DVD/Leather is around $30,000. Even at MSRP I will still be coming out ahead over the Sienna (invoice on a $35K Sienna comes in around the $31k+ range). Plus I'll have a DVD entertainment system vs. a video cassette.

In my mind the no-discount MSRP position that Honda dealers are taking doesn't bother me. I'm still getting a better VALUE for my money, as well as a better overall price.

My .02.
  • Options
    Jan, I know one in San Diego and another in Imperial County, availability is an issue.
  • Options
    Ray,
    Don't keep me in suspense...please tell me which dealer in San Diego?
  • Options
    I can't give out information on deals and dealers I have online in these forums, I've been warned by the hosts in the past. Also, things are subject to change and what I tell you today may not apply tomorrow.
  • Options
    tom477tom477 Member Posts: 42
    can anyone tell me where to see the new odyssey colors for 2002? Besides a dealership!!
  • Options
    luchshelluchshel Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to locate any online retailers that my sell Aftermarket or Replacement parts for the 1999 Ody. Does anyone have any sites to check out? I had one for aftermarket but lost the url.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    mmulveymmulvey Member Posts: 5
    We got a great deal when we bought our 2000 EX from Tipton Honda in El Cajon - dealt with Dale "EZ" Estel - it was almost a couple of years back but they were easy to deal with. We had pretty bad experiences with both Cush locations. Pacific Honda weren't bad but Tipton produced the best deal in the end.
  • Options
    Great! I'll give El Cajon a try. Thanks for the tip!
  • Options
    yfn_spidermanyfn_spiderman Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know what the dealer would charge for installing a roof rack ($214 + installation) and keyless entry($158 + installation)? These are the only option that I would need to be added to the LX...

Does anyone with an EX feel the auto opening doors are a 'neccessity they didn't know they needed?"

I'd be interested to hear comments....
  • Options
    powersd1powersd1 Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up the new brochure for the 2002's from my dealership in Maryland. There are some good pictures of all three new colors as well as what the leather interior will look like. I can't wait to pick-up my 2002 EXL in October.
  • Options
    misterjohnnymisterjohnny Member Posts: 41
    We are on the list for a 2002 EX. I didn't think we needed the sliding doors, but my wife wants them. Her reasoning, which I can't disagree with, is that its easy for me as a man to hold kids, groceries (or whatever) and open the door by hand, but for a smaller woman (5'1") it is too much. Thus requiring her to put down the kids before opening the door and she doesn't want them running loose in the parking lots.
  • Options
    mommyof4mommyof4 Member Posts: 46
    I must agree with your wife on the sliding doors. Life would be very difficult for me had I not have this great feature. :)
  • Options
    tag9tag9 Member Posts: 39
    Amazing! You have the printed 02 Ody brochure while Honda still has 01 information on their web site (you'd think it would be the other way around these days).
  • Options
    mschafermschafer Member Posts: 317
    I purchase all repair parts from H and A Accessories. Excellent pricing and service on genuine Honda parts.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/

• Options
    vikki, azmom, I called www.anyautosonline.com to check on their Canadian Odysseys for an emissions question. Imagine my shock when they told me they had a US office where you don't need to pay for shipping the car in . . . . Scottsdale!!!

The price they quoted was $25,900 with 3rd party warranty but I am sure you can negotiate it downward. The phone number is 1-800-335-2629 if you want to check them out. It helps to be able to deal with them face to face just to get a better feel and at least the car is on the lot already. They say 2002's are coming.

Personally if I am going to get a Canadian model I'd just fly up there and save $4K or more. But here is another tenable choice.
  • Options
    billg7billg7 Member Posts: 342
    Sounds good and if they sell them in AZ they would have to meet all AZ requirements. I wonder about for Calif. residents though, as they use to have added smog requirements at one time. Not sure if the requirements are the same in all 50 states now.

Make sure the third party warranty is a good one because the Honda warranty will not be valid. I don't know if you are going to get a third party warranty if you buy the vehicle in Canada unless you find a place in Canada that deals with US residents.

Hope they change out the metric speedometer, although the speedometer is written in both metric and US measure anyway. For the US model the US measure is on the outside with the metric inside.

For that kind of a saving it is worth looking into.
  • Options
    joekrish1joekrish1 Member Posts: 6
    Honda took really good care of me...$600 dollars and a I'll be certain to make this board aware should that little "check engine" light reappear.
    Perhaps we should start looking for more data points regarding this anomaly....
  • Options
    jasoninwijasoninwi Member Posts: 9
    I've been reading this board for months, and today I went to the dealer I bought my '99 CRV from, and grabbed a 2002 Odyssey brochure upon walking in. It was half hour before closing, nobody on showroom floor, but a saleperson approached from conference room to help. "I'm here to order a 2002 Odyssey I said" and asked to see the guy who sold me the CR-V. It was his day off but this guy just said "oh sure, we'll get your name on the list, just $200 to hold it". At that, I wrote the check, and he said "thanks, it'll be built in January so probably about 5 or 6 months from now". That's it. No paperwork. No "great, we'd love to help, let me show you the new features available....". It was a little like ordering a pizza, only less to choose from and the delivery will be a bit longer. Can this be right? Am I really on a "list" without any paperwork of any kind? And $200? I keep reading $500. I also keep reading October deliveries but this guy flatly said "January" without thought, and seemed happy that I be on my way now that I'm on their "list". I think I'll call back and try to speak with somebody else tomorrow, but can somebody tell me if their "order" experience was similiar. It just seemed so odd, since I waited till now when info like MSRP, features, delivery, brochures, etc are all available so you'd think they'd talk a little with me about what I'm interested it. Very weird to have zero shmooze factor from a car salesman; or maybe that's a good thing. Somebody, please tell me what you think about this.
    (Dealer is Gustman Honda - Appleton WI)

Jason
    -- '99 Honda CR-V
    -- '93 Honda Civic
    -- '99 Honda 4stroke 40HP outboard
    -- '85 Honda Aero scooter (true!)
  • Options
    zarkazarka Member Posts: 2
    We just purchased a new Odyssey a few months ago. We have discovered that at 48 miles per hour, if one hits the gas, there is a rumbling noise (sounds like a diesel truck). The dealer says this sound is "normal for this vehicle" and has to do with some resonant sound which is being transmitted via the shift cable. They say that this has been a problem since the new model came about (for 3 years). Has anyone had this problem or had a method of solving it? I can tell you, if we would have noted this sound at the time of the test drive, we probably would have bought a Toyota Sienna
    thanks for any help you can provide
  • Options
    jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    Call the dealer on Friday, ask to speak with the sales rep and clarify the order. Most dealer due request $500.00, but there is no law with what dealer must take. January delivery is bull, October at the latest.

I think he was trying to make himself feel powerful and then call you in 4 weeks and make himself look like a hero when it arrives in October. If your not satisfied with there explanation, then speak to the GM or take your business to another dealer.
  • Options
    mstaebomstaebo Member Posts: 9
    Gee, January seems really late! Do they really have that many people on their waiting list already?

As for deposits, the Boston-area dealer from whom I ordered our Redrock Pearl EX-L-RES last month only requires $50 to get on their list. I haven't even met my salesguy yet or stepped foot in the dealership. I called him and gave him my credit card # over the phone. I still haven't seen a charge show up. Our Ody is due to arrive sometime end of October/beginning of November.

Plus, when I called him last week to let him know that I was wavering on the RRP color because I haven't seen it in person, he agreed to put me on the list for a SS EX-L-RES too. No additional deposit required. He's got a couple RRP EXs without leather coming in on 9/10, and he said I can come down and look at them. If I hate the color, he said I can take the SS EX-L-RES coming in the following week. Otherwise, I can wait for my original order.

The nice thing is that he's the manager and is in charge of doing the ordering, so he knows exactly what is coming in and when. I lucked out that he was the one who answered the phone when I called to place my order!

Erika
  • Options
    mtempel1mtempel1 Member Posts: 14
    See my earlier post, #2965 or so, about a dealer placing us on a wait list with no deposit. Gave me a "unit number." I'm not sure if its legit, and we are in no hurry, so I'm waiting to see if they call.
    Mike
  • Options
    banubanu Member Posts: 2
    Hello Folks,

Can someone recommend any good dealers in the Dallas area. I plan to buy a Odyssey shortly. Also, do you know what the wait time is ?. What is a good price to pay ?. MSRP / Invoice etc.I would like to hear from someone who has bought a van recently.

Any help / advice would be of great help.

Thanks - Banu
  • Options
    inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    I had very similar experience last week, I ordered an MDX from Acura dealer I bought 3.2TL two years ago. He said, Oh no deposit I know you. Your MDX will be a Dec delivery. No paperwork, no deposit. They have been very honest in the past but this Odyssey/MDX thing is getting sickening.
    The potential for playing games with us is there.
    I think if others will pay MSRP plus and order lots of accessories they will get a car first. I do not like this situation at all. The Alabama plant is on line put only training phase. In a year things should be better. Even the better dealers are acting like ---- and so cocky. When the economy goes south it will take reputation and price to sell cars. Too many games.
    Enjoy your pizza. It will be delivered hot but can give you no idea when it will be delivered.
    INKY
  • Options
    rrr54rrr54 Member Posts: 14
    I own an '01 lx. I noticed rust on the upper glide tracks for the sliding doors. The Honda dealer felt that the rust was unavoidable since it is bare metal. His solution is to put a film of lithium grease on the tracks which he recommends reapplying 3 to 4 times a year. Kind of annoying when you think of the money spent for this vehicle.
  • Options
    talentmdtalentmd Member Posts: 1
    I just ordered from Rusty Wallis. Will be in on or before 10/15. Paying invoice. $500 deposit.
  • Options
    dgx3dgx3 Member Posts: 2
    Looking at the Ody 2002 w/ leather and wondering how this compares to cloth. Have three small children and two dogs. Some people I have spoken with tell me that leather can be cold in winter and hot in summer. Leather wears faster than cloth and can be easily punctured. The only benefit is that it's easier to clean. Can anyone tell me what their experience has been?
  • Options
    silverodysilverody Member Posts: 14
    Just wanted to confirm this. You're only paying invoice for an 02 ody? Great deal. Good for you.
  • Options
    jmurman42jmurman42 Member Posts: 675
    Sounds like you got a dealer that "puts people on lists".

Keep in mind that there are 4 ways to buy an Odyssey.

#1. Go to a dealer that has them on the lot and try to negotiate the 1,500-3,000 markup, AND accessories.

#2. Give a deposit and get put on a never ending list, the dealers that we here of usually have a 4-7 month waiting list.

#3 Go to a dealer that only sells off of their "allocation list". These dealers only sell what is allocated to them. Ususally 8 week delivery times.

#4 Have a close relative that works for American Honda, and can get you a factory deal. Stiil is with the 8 week delivery time.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    tag9tag9 Member Posts: 39
    I can state my experience as follows:

4 out of our last 5 vehicles had leather. With 3 kids riding in all of them on a regular basis, the leather held up much better than cloth. We never experienced a puncture and the leather seemed to "age" rather than "wear" which only made it more supple. The one and only problem was a small rip on the edge of one seat which required only minor stitching (a 20 minute job). Although the leather did seem colder in winter and warmer in summer than did the cloth, it only lasted as long as it took to heat the vehicle (i.e. not an inordinate amount of time).

The vehicle with cloth was another story; more like a nightmare. Even with scotchguard protection, the melted chocolate bars, gummy worms, spilled sundaes, to name just a few, never did come out completely despite several professional detailings. Also, cloth is not impervious to punctures or rips. In fact, we had a nice, big rip right near the center of the driver's seat (never did get fixed) and a pencil just happened to go through the seat back of the rear bench.

In sum, this decision really comes down to your own preference. Some people simply prefer the feel of cloth. I do prefer leather but, based on my experience, would not be inclined to advise anyone to choose cloth over leather because of wear, punctures, or rips.
  • Options
    edgetaedgeta Member Posts: 32
    We have a 3 and 5 year old and a 85lb dog (13 years old). My choice is leather, I believe it tends to "age" also instead of wearing out. You
    can slide across it without your clothes staying behind. Yes it is a bit cold if you get in in the winter with shorts on (but then don't wear shorts). I have not had any problems with punctures and so much eaiser to clean. Very kid friendly. I am so happy the 2002 is available with factory leather.
  • Options
    davemmdavemm Member Posts: 33
    Question for Odyssey owners or those who would have an opinion.
    I’ve been looking at both the Ody and the Sienna, to make a long story short I’m tall and do not fit in the Ody passenger seat period. Now I’m all set to go with the Sienna but the stats on the 2002 Ody are quite impressive.

The new wrinkle, a van conversion place near me does handicap conversions etc. and they could move the seat(s) back a few inches but they never did a Ody. Any comments on having this done? Side air bags, spare tire placement? Any thing else?

Thanks