Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Honda Odyssey: Problems & Solutions:(1995-2004 Models)

Comments

• Options
    user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    From Honda's website:

"Working with the ABS sensors and the electronic control unit (ECU), TCS monitors front-wheel slippage. If detected, TCS activates one or more brake calipers to slow the spinning wheel to regain traction. TCS can also help maintain stability when starting out on surfaces with split coefficients of friction."
  • Options
    tcasboytcasboy Member Posts: 214
    badgerfan: After 70K miles I'm not surprised you had to replace the rotors and the pads. The last 25K miles was probably all metal to metal contact. You can buy a lot of pads for the cost of a new set of rotors.

For what its worth, changing front disc pads is pretty darn easy. You can order the pads from Handa-accessories.com for about 35 bucks and do them yourself in about an hour. Takes some of the sting out of changing them so often.
  • Options
    phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    As User777 points out, they have everything to do with each other on Hondas. Most traction control systems I'm aware of use the ABS braking system (with many also adding throttle modulation).

Good article on this Edmunds site:

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/safety/articles/46352/article.ht- - ml
  • Options
    badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    No the brakes were not metal to metal, ever. The original brakes were still quiet at this mileage, however by year 7 in the upper midwest, corrosion takes its toll on rotors, so the rotors were replaced due to corrosion issues, not due to metal to metal contact. My point is, brakes shouldn't be shot in my opinion on any vehicle at 20-25K unless they have been abused, unless Honda's OEM pads are really cheap.
  • Options
    bryannbryann Member Posts: 54
    i have had a real bad problem with warped rotors and drums on a 2001 EX. i have had new pads and rotors installed 3 times in 64k miles. the last time, i replaced them with brembo rotors that exceeded all factory specs. they were $50 each at tire rack and pretty easy to install. the rear drums on the 2001 had a lof of life left at 60k, but the drums were warped as well. i had them cut and replaced with aftermarket shoes as well, just in case. i knew going in that Honda makes a lot of things well, but brakes were never their strong suit. oh well, all is quiet and vibration free so i guess i am happy.
  • Options
    aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    thanks for the education - I stand corrected.
    but seeing how TC works at slow or start up speeds, do you think it has much to do with brake wear?
  • Options
    user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    that's a good question you pose.

who knows? how much low speed icy or wet conditions do you encounter? do you floor the gas off the line (ie induce wheel spin)?

and further, when the next yr ODY comes out with some form of Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), the form that senses vehicle yaw rate and modulates braking at specific wheels to assist in under- and over-stear and coerce a corner of the vehicle to help matters, there will be another potential contributor to consider.

one has to imagine these technologies contribute in some way to wear.

proponents of the technology will point out it's better to replace pads, than loose control of the vehicle and thus loose something much more valuable...
  • Options
    just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    Even at slow or start up speeds the brakes are applied more than you think. On my non-Ody van, the Traction Control has a temperature sensor to monitor the brake temp, if the brakes generate too much heat, the Traction Control will be deactivated until the brakes cool off. Hot brakes could also lead to rotor warping. Everything is subject to action and reaction. The action of the Traction Control might help you get going, but the reaction of this might be shorter brake and rotor life.
  • Options
    jmellenbjmellenb Member Posts: 35
    I had a 2000 LX Odyssey with excellent, quiet brakes, drums on the rear. Now we have a 2004 LX Odyssey with disc brakes front & rear. We only have 1200 miles on it, but we've noticed the rear disc brakes make a honking sound when exposed to even a little moisture / humidity. Does anyone have this problem as well? Any solutions out there? Thanks!
  • Options
    onemoreoddyonemoreoddy Member Posts: 1
    Have 40K on 2001 OddyEX and asked the Dealer to give me an estimate of remaining life, during a routine maintenance.

Dealer Svc Writer came back and said my RF rotor had "heat spots" and surface fractures...$525.

WHAT??---just had the Oddy in for brake inspection in 6/03 and "everything was fine". Svc Writer said that 6 months is a "long time" in auto wear and tear. AND "driving thru rain or a puddle of water" while the rotors were hot could cause this problem." I've had hard working 1 ton flatbeds that never had this happen...so I smelled some bull****.

So I said that it was amazing that a rotor...not both...could have that type of damage. And that I felt it was a defective part and Honda sould meet me part way on the cost...he agreed to reduce it to $380.

Lucky for me, I had to do the service another day and didn't allow the Dealer to do it. So, just for the heck of it...took the Oddy to a brake shop for an estimate. This time I was able to see the rotors myself, with the mechanic...SURPRISE...rotors are fine! Only need pads...$125.

I've seen this "rain ruins oddy rotors" post on this and other oddy message boards...so beware Oddy Lovers...double check your Oddy with another mechanice before believing the dealer's mechanic.

To me this action by the dealer mechanic was STUPID...why be caught for fraud and p**soff a loyal customer?

HONDA...are you listening????
  • Options
    kimo9kimo9 Member Posts: 71
    Whenever I leave for work in the morning or when I leave work for home at the end of the day -- there is a vibration that is difficult to diagnose. The funny thing is that it only happens for the first 1/2 -1 mile or so then stops.

Possible culprits I've thought of:
       - tires unbalanced
       - tires under/over inflated
       - suspension/struts
       - my imagination :-)
  • Options
    lpeatonlpeaton Member Posts: 1
    I had both sets of original brakes changed at about 42K miles. I moved to Michigan and my wife does more stop and go. I had the front pads replaced be my local mechanic at in December 2003 after I got this horrible squeak every time I touched the brakes. After the mechanic changed the front they were quiet, but he cleaned the rear pads and they started to squeak every time you touched the brakes. The mechanic machined the rear drums and everything was good for a week and then they started to squeak.
    Finally the mechanic replaced all of the pads, for free, with new ceramic pads. The only time I get a squeak is after I have been driving for a while without touching the brakes. I figure it is the rock salt dust building up. I get a squeak the first time I touch the brakes, and then nothing. Nice and quiet.

Am I the first one to experience this?

Just curious.

Patrick
  • Options
    nit2nit2 Member Posts: 40
    I just picked up a 2004 Ody EXL on 1/31. When we took the car for a test drive, at 59 mph, I noticed a slight shudder/vibration which the salesman said was road and wind noise. The noise went away as I changed speed and did not come back for the remainder of the test drive, and so I didn't think more about it.
    On the day after taking delivery, when the whole family was in the car on their first drive, my wife pointed out the shudder/vibration. You notice it on smooth roads, not when the road surface is rough. Goes away if we keep varying speeds. Comes back if I hold speed constant at 59 ~ 60 mph or even as much as 65 mph.
    I mentioned it to the salesman when he called today to see how we were doing. He sounded like he wants to help get it resolved and he is going to have a technician look at it.
    Does anyone have suggestions on what this might be and how to handle this so we get it fixed right before it gets too long in the tooth? Other than this, we absolutely LOVE the car! Thanks.
  • Options
    lzh7ghlzh7gh Member Posts: 4
    I have 2004 EXL and I have a vehicle "boom" around 1400 - 1500 rpm, when the trans is in 5th gear. Lot of time you hear the "boom" and can feel it through seats, steering column, etc. Is your problem speed related or RPM related? You can try this out by shifting it into neutral at your mentioned speed. If the vibration does not go away, you might have a wheel imbalance. If the problem goes away, you might be hearing the same "boom" as mine.
  • Options
    alison11alison11 Member Posts: 9
    Am disappointed that Honda has not corrected these problems in the 04. The shudder I believe is an inherent suspension consequence. Our 2000 with high miles has ALWAYS had a slight vibration at high speeds. You can only hope to minimalize/manage it by careful balancing, balancing, and re-balancing as well as put good tires on (we found the Bridgestone Turanza to be far superior to Affinity or Symmettry's). The brake problem, on ours anyway, was in the rear drum/shoes. The prob. was a build up of resonance. So yes, they are quite after being cleaned, until a fewweeks/months when the resonance builds up. Obviously this is not the prob. if yours is 4 wheel disc. Our Toyota has always squeaked the first few brake depressions- but, the pads lasted close to 70000 miles! Was considering an 04 as they are dealing on them but the vibration problem is extremely frustrating. It shouldn't be that difficult to obtain a smooth ride at high speeds! Makes an excellent van feel like a piece of junk.
  • Options
    It doesn't show up until I hit 59mph. Seems like it shows up when I hold speed constant at 58 or 59mph. If I give a little extra gas it seems to die down even if speed did not change by more than a couple of mph.

If I increase speed to 65 and hold it steady there, it shows up.

Thanks for the tip. I will try switching to neutral to see what happens.
  • Options
    mwcarlsomwcarlso Member Posts: 85
    My mom has a 2000 Odyssey EX with about 89,000 miles on it with the same noise at around 50-60 mph. I think it has something to do with the transmission shifting into overdrive too soon. The tachometer reads about 1500 rpm when overdrive kicks in at around 50-55 mph, which seems low to me. The engine sounds like it is lugging and needs to be in third gear. The transmission shifts fine and has never been replaced so I don't think it will cause any harm in the long run, it will probably just be annoying. Hope Honda fixes this problem with the new 05 Odyssey.
  • Options
    buddyzunigabuddyzuniga Member Posts: 63
    I'm just over 6000 miles on an 04 EX-L RES and so far no problems to report. I hope not to have no major issues. I'll keep in touch.

:)
  • Options
    americanelmamericanelm Member Posts: 4
    My 2000 Odyssey LX ABS seems to work fine on dry pavement. However, the slightest slickness on the road - rain or snow - and the ABS engages with the slightest pressure applied to the break pedal. Worse yet, the van behaves more like it's coasting to a stop versus braking. I had my Honda dealer inspect the system and they claim everything is fine. If possible I drive my 2000 Accord EX on snowy days as it breaking performance far and above exceeds my 2000 Odyssey.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    How old are the tires on the Ody? If they are breaking traction, then ABS will kick in.
  • Options
    Tires are Bridgestone BT70s, 11 months old, ~ 21,0000 miles with excellent tread. I agree with your thought as I had a similar problem last February and solved the problem with the installation of the BT70s. I have to admit, it is scary to drive on snow as I nearly rear ended a car today. I was in a small town driving about 25 mph. I applied a slight amount of pressure to the break pedal and the ABS kicked in - I wasn't slowing down so I released the break pedal and maneuvered around the right side of the car making a left turn.
  • Options
    rbell2rbell2 Member Posts: 180
    Bought our 2003 EX-L the first weekend of September and have logged 8,200 miles including two long trips at T-Giving and X-mas. So far no problems. We do hear an occasional "beep" from from the auto-door alarm at odd times but nothing that has stayed on or prevented us from opening or closing one of the auto-doors. I'll keep my fingers crossed!!
  • Options
    I am sure this is not statistically valid but it is interesting none-the-less. If you look at the number of messages posted under the "problems" topics for the current Ody design, the old Sienna design, and the new Sienna design . . . here is how the number of messages per month stack up:
    Current Ody: 98 messages/month
    Old Sienna: 69 messages/month
    New Sienna: 62 messages/month

I just took the total number of messages for each topic and divided it over the reporting period (I cut off the old Sienna at 5/03 where the new Sienna started getting "problems" reported). I also added the "transmission problems" section for the Ody to the general problems topic to get a total number of messages reported for the Ody.

Ya'll have fun with it.
  • Options
    I'm a little concerned with the ABS systems on my 2000 Odyssey LX and I'm hoping I can find a solution or I'll trade before next fall. The replacement will be either another Odyssey (EX w/ 4 w disc brakes) or Toyota Sienna. I have a close friend who was a long time Honda owner - he bought a Sienna and has nothing but praise.
    Honda hooked me with an 1988 Accord LX 5spd I bought new. I put 437,000 miles on the car before I donated it to a youth group. It still ran great - didn't burn any oil and started at -30F. The condenser did need replacing and the scissors lift went out in the driver's door at ~430,000 - that was one well built vehicle!!!
  • Options
    My 2000 Odyssey LX did develop a terrible grinding sound from the right rear drum about 2K miles after the breaks were inspected and serviced ~89K miles. Had is checked by the my Honda dealership - they said it is a common problem and could provide a heavier drum for $115 (each). I decided not to install the new drums. It took about 3K miles and the grinding went away - good luck with your '04
  • Options
    tcasboytcasboy Member Posts: 214
    Americanelm: Why don't you take the van to another shop that specializes in brakes. Perhaps they could fix the problem better than a general mechanic at the Honda dealer. Just an idea. I had a 2000 LX for 4 years and 67K miles, no problems with the brakes at all. I replaced the front pads myself at about 45K miles and it always stopped fine.
  • Options
    tommister2tommister2 Member Posts: 393
    I think it is because Honda buyers are more Internet savy...and I am not kidding.

I noticed a long time ago that the Honda newsgroups had many more posts than the other ones (Toyota, Mazda, etc.)

Just my opinion.
    Tom
    2011 Toyota Camry, 2014 Jeep Wrangler, 2017 Honda Civic Coupe, 2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XSE, 2021 Toyota Tundra, 2022 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Tesla Model 3
  • Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    I too get the shutter/booming on my '02 occasionally when driving. I believe it is a problem of the low ratio gearing and the desire of the tranny to upshift asap. Basically, it is the sound of a lugging drivetrain. The AT is programmed to upshift to 5th early to save fuel. The problem is, and while I love this engine, 3.5l just doesn't develop adequate torque below 2k rpm to move a 4k lb vehicle. I have lots of problems with this on the rolling hills near my home. Jab the pedal slightly, and the torque converter will either drop out of lock, or the gearset may downshift into 4th. Either way, once the tach hits 2500, she moves along smartly & smoothly. The problem could have been easily avoided had Honda added a "4" spot to the cluster, or provided an electric 5th gear lockout switch. I think the Pilot/MDX has such a provision.

Brakes? I am at 30k, and when I put on the snows in December, I had plenty of pad left all around (might make it to 50k or more...).

Traction control does indeed use the front brakes. Remember that they are not just trying to slow the vehicle, but also fight engine torque. It has got to be hard on them if you engage the TC system often.

Steve
  • Options
    moonkatmoonkat Member Posts: 265
    Replaced front brake pads on my 99 Ody at 55K miles about 7 months ago. Could have gone further but service manager showed me the pads and 50K plus was good enough for me. He even advised that the rotors showed no distortion and would not have to be shaved (three shavings and you have to replace the rotors).

Vibration is most likely due to tire balance or out of round. If you get vibration without braking, then it is not caused by the brakes.

Currently at 71K miles; second set of tires (I replaced the Firestone Affinities early) - Michellin X radials.
  • Options
    buddyzunigabuddyzuniga Member Posts: 63
    Recently my wife was traveling on an uphill grade, not a severe one though. She thought that it would be a good idea to activate the TCS. According to her it seemed to give the van more power. This lasted for about a mile.
    Can anyone give me some feedback on what may happen in turms of harming my vehilce.
  • Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    The traction control system is a normally "on" system, but does nothing unless slip is detected by the wheel speed sensors. Then it pulses the front brakes (using the ABS pump) to control unintended wheel spin, and may reduce engine power by retarding timing, limiting fuel, etc. When you push the button, the "TCS OFF" indicator comes on, telling you that you have overridden the system, and the traction control will not operate (a wheel will be allowed to spin when on a slippery surface). You are back to standard operation like on any open differential axle.

So what did she experience when she turned it off? If she wasn't spinning wheels, probably nothing at all!! If she was spinning a single tire, she might indeed have gotten more engine output (no engine control intervention), but probably much less grip to the road. If she was spinning both, then she might have gotten a slight benefit with the system off, but more danger of sliding sideways and off the road. Under normal conditions, I would advise her to leave the system alone and let it do it's thing. But turning it off should do no harm to the vehicle.

Steve
  • Options
    remset65remset65 Member Posts: 4
    I have 110K on my 99 Ody and need to have the spark plugs replaced. Anyone have a rough idea the cost to have my Honda service department replace them? Thanks.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide will tell you what we think it should cost. You'll have to dig around a bit if you are late in changing the plugs, since it's organized by mileage intervals.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Since you have so much mileage on your '99 Ody, can you give us a short synopsis of how it has fared over the miles? Many problems under warranty? Out of warranty? I have an '03 with ~8,000 miles and was just curious. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    mwcarlsomwcarlso Member Posts: 85
    My mom has a 2000 Odyssey EX with 90,000 miles on it. It has been a very reliable vehicle. The only problems we have had were loud squeaky rear drum brakes which were fixed with updated brake shoes and drums, the latch for the left power sliding door was defective, and the alternator and belt tensioner were replaced to alleviate belt squealing noises. All of these problems were fixed under the extended warranty through Honda. The transmission still shifts fine and has never given us any problems. If you plan to keep the van after the regular warranty expires you might want to consider getting the Honda Care extended warranty for peace of mind. Happy motoring!
  • Options
    oddycoddyc Member Posts: 1
    Our 2000 ex with 85k miles has had the check engine light come on twice in last week. Took it to honda specialty shop who spent 2.5 days trying to fix, the light is now off, but they said if it comes on again to take to dealer and they said it is either the pcm(program control module)"computer" we are told is $1k, or the "coil packs" $150 x 6 cylinders. has anyone else had problems like this and if so what parts were needed and did honda help out as far as $ thanks. desperate in nc
  • Options
    You could get a free CEL code readout at many auto parts stores if/when the CEL goes on again.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    popperpopper Member Posts: 41
    Now have 110,000 miles on our Odyssey and still going strong. Only thing besides recommended maintenance was CEL light @ 80K- new catalytic converter replaced under warranty. CEL light back on now... definately taking it to auto parts store to get the code vs. paying dealer $65.00. Also wondering how far I should push the timing belt before I replace it?
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Isn't a real smart thing to do. It'll probably last another 50,000 miles but maybe not.

Honda reccomends 105,000 miles on them. If it snaps, you will, at the least, be stranded somewhere. It could also severly damage your engine.

Wanna take a chance?
  • Options
    Has the gas tank sloshing problem that people complained about in '99 completely gone away? I can't remember the last time I heard someone mention it.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    We hear it in our '03 we bought in 9/03. We really only notice in the garage when pulling in and backing out and only when it is full to about halk full. Not a big issue to us.
  • Options
    remset65remset65 Member Posts: 4
    We bought our 99 Ody in Nov 98. One of the first ones off the assembly line. It's got 110K miles on it. Overall, I'm fairly satisfied with it. We had a lot of recalls with it being a first year model and had to take it in often for that. My biggest complaint is having to clean and replace the EGR valve/sleeve about every 35K (at $200 per/visit) and the screeching rear drums. Of course we've had the sliding door issues like everyone else. Oh, and the back-up lights are worth a darn--too dim. Honda really blew it with these items in their design. I'm going to replace the rear drum myself when the weather's warmer. On the good side (and most importantly), the engine has been trouble free and isn't burning any oil (I change oil every 3-4,000 miles). And I've never had a transmission problem (yet). I'd definitely recommend to replace your timing belt at 105,000. And be sure to replace the water pump as well when they have the belt off. You don't want to push your luck with either of those items. I'm moving to Germany this summer and decided to take it with me--I'm banking on it performing well for at least another 100K miles. I've got an 89 Toyota Corolla with 245K miles, and I'm hoping for the same from my Ody. Bottom line, I bought the Honda because I wanted a car with a good, reliable engine and tranny that would last for a long time. So far, it's met my expectations.
  • Options
    jimbopjimbop Member Posts: 1
    2000 Odyssey LX.... Honda installed basic CD player. Won't eject the CD, and little light in lower right corner blinks about 7 times. Also, no message or anything appears in the display (such as EE-00).

Any thoughts anyone?
  • Options
    auburn63auburn63 Member Posts: 1,162
    if the code was for misfire then there are several routes that it could be but the one we see most of all is bad/clogged injectors. But get a read on the code next time and tell us what it is
  • Options
    bertram56bertram56 Member Posts: 2
    My wife noticed a shuddering on our '02 EX and was convinced it was a tire related problem, but it only happened between 58 & 65 mph. After my brother and I took it for a test drive, we figured it to be engine related, more specifically vacuum related. Talked with my favorite service writer and he said it was more than likely the EGR valve. They had replaced several in the preceding weeks, all with the same complaint and symptoms. They changed it and it hasn't shuddered since. Just a suggestion.
  • Options
    laundryguylaundryguy Member Posts: 89
    Just signed for an Ody, but haven't picked up van yet (will do on 2/18 or 2/19). Still have option to get extended warranty to 100k. I pull a 2700 lb boat a lot, but only short distances (mainly 4 to 5 miles). But got the Ody so I could take it on longer family trips of a few hundred miles a few times a summer. I've heard tranny issues exist on Ody, but have they gotten better with 2004? Any other expensive fixes? Anybody pull boats this size? Any thoughts on trailering with this model?
  • Options
    Just looking at towing with minivans - I bought a new '96 Dodge Grand Caravan with the 3,500# tow package and probably put 7,000 miles on it pulling a 3,000# 19' boat on family vacations and weekend trips. It felt more stable towing than my '91 4Runner. Overall, the DGC was excellent at towing. I recently bought a '03 Ody with the 3,500# tow package added and am expecting a similar experience. I am in-between boats right now so the only towing I have done with the Ody has been a utility trailer. I predict the Ody will do well towing (stable, plenty of power).
  • Options
    Many thanks for your suggestion. I will have the dealer check it out at the next oil change. One question: was it expensive to change the EGR valve? TIA
  • Options
    corzocorzo Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this one. I have a 2000 EX Odyssey and every once in a while, I hear a siren like sound. It is the strangest sound I've ever heard and it sounds as if there was a police siren next to you. It seems random but we have noticed it several times after starting to move from a stopping position. It also happens while driving on the freeway.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? It is so random that I can't even pinpoint where it is coming from.

Thanks,

Mike
  • Options
    corzocorzo Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

Does anyone know how to fix the clock light on an EX 2000? The Cruise light on the cruise button (not the dash) also went out so I was wondering if there was a magic fuse controlling the clock and cruise light? If not, any ideas on how to replace the light for the clock would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
This discussion has been closed.