Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Elantra 5-door

Comments

• Options
    elantradriverelantradriver Member Posts: 14
    The AT is rough till it gets used to your driving style, after that I've found it to be a more than competent auto. It's still no standard mind you, but I also needed auto for my commute and I have absolutely no complaints.
  • Options
    joffficerjoffficer Member Posts: 169
    I normally prefer a 5sp with such a small engine, but this auto really does a great job picking gears. It always seems to shift when I want it to.
  • Options
    storkdudestorkdude Member Posts: 26
    You should consider installing the HID headlights. They are like streetlights. Much brighter than those on an Audi since the Hyundai reflector was not designed for so much candlepower and casts a wider beam than factory HID systems. People notice you on the interstate in the day and will generally change lanes to let you pass. When I turn on my brights I have to really look carefully to see any evidence of them (the high beams) being on. Of course, that's how I remember it. Since I've moved to Tokyo in July I havent even seen my little Hyundai. At least it will still be mint when I return. I got mine clearanced for about $250, but have seen new kits (in July) for as little as $450, which is great for HID lights.
  • Options
    wmoseswmoses Member Posts: 212
    storkdude suggests --

You should consider installing the HID headlights. They are like streetlights ... People notice you on the interstate in the day and will generally change lanes to let you pass. ... I got mine clearanced for about $250, but have seen new kits (in July) for as little as $450, which is great for HID lights.

Greetings to you in Tokyo! Hope you are enjoying it there so far.

Do people swear at you as they move over to let you pass with these lights of yours. :-)

I was hoping to spend somewhat less on lights than the cost of an HID kit. The stock lights are great for my driving needs (mostly urban daytime) and based on the cars I had in the past, they are the best so far even for driving in the boonies at night with moose on the road.

I was looking for light bulbs as bright as stock, with the same wattage so I don't have to worry about new wiring, and with a cooler colour temperature. I guess I will have to keep looking since the Eurolites I bought only fit 2 of the 3 criteria.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.
  • Options
    cjaccettacjaccetta Member Posts: 236
    Well, I broke the 25,000 mile barrier recently (now at 25,430) so I thought this would be a good time to update the group on the health of my 2001 pewter GT with auto. By way of background, we use the GT primarily for my 36-mile r/t commute and for highway trips from NJ to Cape Cod and NJ to Pittsburgh. The car is driven daily.

Fuel economy - Good. Averaging about 28.5 mpg in mixed driving with moderate a/c use. The GT performs as advertised in this department.

Problems - Hardly any. I purchased the car on 6/15/01. Since then I have had to re-set the "check engine" lamp once (covered under warranty) and replace the left lo-beam headlamp (did this myself - $14.83 part from Auto Zone). We did have to replace the oil pan (not the car's fault - part damaged during oil change) and one tire (wife popped the sidewall while parallel parking).

Service/Fuel Costs - Total for all service from date of purchase is $453.80. This includes oil changes. I fill the tank about once every 8 days at a cost of roughly $17. My estimated fuel costs since 6/2001 have been $901.

Overall Appearance - we don't have a garage, so the GT sleeps under the stars. After 14 months the car still looks very good. No scratches, scuffs, dents or cracks to mar my baby's finish. There is only a ding on the hood courtesy of a HUGE falling acorn. The interior still looks new. The leather holds up well and is softening nicely. No squeaks or rattles from the interior.

General Impressions - Incredible car for the money spent ($14,500). I'd never owned a Korean car before we bought the GT last year. Now I don't know if we'll ever buy another brand. We are seriously impressed with the Elantra GT. We really can't think of enough good things to say. On our advice, friends of ours purchased an Elantra GLS several months ago and are reporting similar impressions.

To anyone reading this thread and considering purchasing an Elantra, take it from a *very* satisfied customer: driving is believing!

Adios! Will update again after 30,000 mile service.
  • Options
    pw_eastsidepw_eastside Member Posts: 15
    Has anyone experienced a "clanging" noise coming from either the rear hatch or suspension when going over large bumps or expansion joints. My gt is only a few weeks old but it makes this noise from time to time and was wondering if anyone else has encountered this before I take it into the dealer to get looked at. My dealer is being a pain on a different issue so I'm really looking forward to going back anytime soon.

Thanks.

pw_eastside
  • Options
    5port5port Member Posts: 395
    How do you know its the hatch? I have a noise when going over bumps (coming from the rear). I've got it down to the passenger side rear seatback. When I put the seatback down the noise is gone. I would try to put both seats down and if the noise is gone put one seatback up at a time and see if it returns.
  • Options
    I just heard from the dealer about my A/C noise (a faint whistle or squeal while driving). The service department told me it's normal for these cars. He said it's the freon going from liquid to a gas, and vice-versa. I've had many other cars with A/C and NEVER heard this sound! He told me all elantras do this... do they? This service department has a story for everything, and find this hard to believe (Hyundai City in Burlington, NJ).
  • Options
    5port-

Thanks for the suggestion about the seats, I'll give it a try but it really does sound like something in the hatch, but you never know.

jofficer-

My gt is only a few weeks old and the a/c has always made a hissing noise periodically while it's on. It doesn't seem to affect cooling as my pump cold are pretty well. My wife's 1990 mazda protege also does the same thing so I'm not too worried about it.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    My GLS' A/C has made the occasional faint hissing noise since day one (October 2000). I too have never heard this in a car before, but then come to think of it, this is the quietest car I have ever owned, with the possible exception of my GCS. The A/C is ice cold, the coldest of any car I've owned, so I don't think there is anything wrong with the A/C. I have chalked it up to a "feature" of the car. At first it bothered me just a little ("what, a NOISE in my new car!") but now that I am familiar with it, it doesn't bother me at all and in fact I hardly even notice it.
  • Options
    jmaterojmatero Member Posts: 253
    Hi all... the sound you are hearing is, indeed, the gas turning to liquid which happens as the evaporator coil warms. In most cars, you can hear this if you turn the AC off with the car running (depending on how insulated the HVAC box is behind the dash). On many small cars, the manufacturers try to increase engine power and mpg when the a/c is running by cycling the compessor on less frequently. This results in the evaporator making the sound you're hearing.... if the compressor stayed on more often, it would not have a chance to warm as hot air passes over it and you wouldn't hear the noise. I've test driven over 6 different elantras in recent weeks and they ALL make the noise. In fact, my Passat and my old Stratus also make the noise.... but it was less noticable. The Elantra just lacks a lot of sound insulation around the HVAC box so it's more noticable. Your car is normal.
  • Options
    pw_eastside asks --

Has anyone experienced a "clanging" noise coming from either the rear hatch or suspension when going over large bumps or expansion joints.

The noise is likely coming from the spare wheel.

I had a similar noise and traced it to the spare wheel being improperly placed over the rubberized foam pads at the bottom of the spare wheel well. When you go over a bump the rim would hit the bottom of the well and make the noise.

Cure -- reposition the wheel and tighten the retainer firmly. Better yet (and I am yet to do this) is to get some more material and add more pads. In my case, I suspect the pads are not optimally placed.
  • Options
    Lestrade1Lestrade1 Member Posts: 15
    had a similar problem. had a "snapping" or noise that sounded like plastic on plastic. while in driver seat, sounded like coming from the back hatch, when sitting in passenger seat sound came from the front above driver. my dealer contacted Hyundai America- they took out and re installed the windshield no more noise just a possibility
  • Options
    jmaterojmatero Member Posts: 253
    Saw some 2003 GLS's on the lot yesterday (no changes, slightly higher prices). Anyone spot 2003 GT's yet? They come in both the sedan and hatchback for the same price in 2003.
  • Options
    wmoses & lestrade1 -

thanks for the ideas, I'll check the spare tire this weekend for sure. I'm hoping to figure it out myself since I'd rather not go back to my dealer and mess around with them.

other than that though I've been very impressed with my car so far. I'm still under 1000 miles but I'm already getting 29.1 mpg with mostly freeway driving. I was able to go almost 400 miles between fill-ups on my last tank of gas which I was pleasantly suprised about.

pw_eastside
  • Options
    bnorby1bnorby1 Member Posts: 16
    Has anyone experienced a "clanging" noise coming from either the rear hatch or suspension when going over large bumps or expansion joints. My gt is only a few weeks old but it makes this noise from time to time...

5port - I had the same noise on mine - only once in awhile when going over bumps like those you described. I have heard that it is either the spare wheel well or a loose strut in the back end. Either way, check for a loose spare or have the dealer inspect the rear end suspension at your next oil change - the noise on my 2002 w/4500 miles on it is not normal but did not occur very often at all. The dealer inspected and tightened the rear suspension and the noise has not recurred.
  • Options
    5port5port Member Posts: 395
    I already tightened and reseated and the spare tire when wmoses mentioned it a few months ago.

My noise disappears completely when I put the rear seatbacks down so I know it is coming from them. Also when its cold outside there is no noise and when hot I hear it. If it is the rear seats I say its the leather being stiff in cold and plyable when hot. Thanks for the tip on the strut and I may mention it at my next service.
  • Options
    jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    Yet another very good review on the Elantra GT, this time in today's Detroit Free Press (www.freep.com). Keep those good reviews coming folks!
  • Options
    desgdesg Member Posts: 52
    If you are trying to find a rattle or noise here is what I do.

I get someone to drive over roads I know the noise is usually heard on while I'm trying to locate the source of the noise - usually I'll be in the back. I figure seeing I'm used to it I have the best chance of finding it and by not driving I can devote all my attention to finding it.
  • Options
    gtformegtforme Member Posts: 12
    Well, I got my car back this week and so far so good. They took 10 business days for the repair (new short block, cylinder head, other parts I don't remember right now.) The only gripe I have is that I had to go from MA to NJ to get the car. Though, my dealership let me use the rental (free of charge) for this, I still had to take time off and find somebody else who could get time off.
    I also had to drive 55mph all the way back because since most of the engine is new parts, I have to go through the break-in process again. We did manage 33.4 mpg on the way back though.

It's nice to have my car back again. Right now I can't say that I would buy another one, but I'll have to see if there's any more major problems during the life of the car.
  • Options
    mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Still a few miles ahead of cjacetta. Bought mine on 6/19/01 but due to transfer last December, am driving way less. No A/C noise, no hatch noise. The auto works fine, even thought I've owned a stick for years before this car. Concur with CJ's impressions that this is one great car for the money. I understand that there will be a GT sedan this year outfitted the same way as the hatch. Anyone care to confirm?
  • Options
    gpagpagpagpa Member Posts: 55
    I finally took the leap and purchased a 2002 Pewter GT. Like everyone else out there, it was tough to get a manual with option 11. Everyone I saw was auto. Went through cars direct, paid $14901 before tax, title etc. They found the car in two days. Need to get used to driving a hatchback when looking out the back window, while backing up and parking. Mileage was pretty good according to the trip computer, maxed out at 35.4 mpg. Mentioned to the salesman some questions regarding the check engine light. He said that it happened because the gas tank lid was not closed tightly enough. What octane gas is everyone using? Would of been a better deal if I did not have to get the sunroof along with the abs. Noticed a flyer when I was leaving and it said that if I was not satisfied with purchase then I could return the vehicle in 5 days and less than 300 miles, not a bad safety net.
  • Options
    montrealgtmontrealgt Member Posts: 14
    We did it! We (hubby and I) bought a brand spanking new 2002 GT for me! And I am the woman who swore never to set foot in another Hyundai dealer after my mid-80's Pony disaster. But 4 years ago, we needed an inexpensive car so hubby talked me into checking out the Accents. I fell in love with a little black GSI and ended up leasing it for 4 years. So when the lease was up, I was definitely game for checking out Hyundai's latest offerings.

It was closerthanthis between the GT and the Suzuki Aerio - I was going schizoid trying to decide, but finally opted for the GT, having been so pleased with my Accent and the dealer. 6 months after I got my Accent, hubby bought a 98 used Accent Sport (he's still in love with it!).

So Wednesday, I drove home in my gorgeous new GT! Here in Canada, they call the colour Prime Beige (what a boring name for a lovely colour) but I guess in the States it's called Champagne. Anyway, she's beeeyooootiful!! 5 speed, totally loaded with everything but the moon roof, leather seats and ABS. They come as a full package here. I would have liked the moon roof, but hubby hates - I repeat HATES - leather seats. He sweats like a pig, even in winter, so I guess I understand. *wink*

And the best part? There are hardly any of them on the road! I feel so unique!

My favorite thing? I'm so odd - I'm in love with the little tweeter speakers! *LOL*

Came out of the showroom for under 20K in a car that looks and drives like at least 30K! Am I happy? You betcha!!
  • Options
    They call it Prime Beige in most markets but the US I believe.

From what I've seen the US seems to have unique names for most of the colours
  • Options
    Not only is the color called Champagne, it is not available on the GT here. All our GT leather interiors are dark grey, which might not look so hot inside a Champagne car. montrealgt, is yours beige leather?
  • Options
    jimpimmsjimpimms Member Posts: 81
    I own a (totally stock) 2001.5 5-spd pewter GT with pkg. 11, now with about 14,500 miles on the odometer, and 38 psi in the OEM Michelins.

A couple of weeks ago I visited my brother in Tonawanda, NY. On our way to Pilot Field (aka Dunn Tire Park), to enjoy a Buffalo Bisons game, we passed the local Dunlop Tire plant. There were at least a dozen Hyundai boxcars lined-up on the siding, which I thought was odd, since most, if not all, U.S. Hyundais are shod with Michelins. What's up with that? Are Canadian Hyundais equipped with Dunlops? Are Santa Fes?

Returning home via the NYS Thruway, I set the cruise at 78, and but for a few slowdowns involving 18-wheelers, radar traps, the occasional arrogant morons in SUVs clogging the passing lane, and a 10 to 15 minute "comfort"/lunch stop, I made Lanesborough, MA in just 5 hours (approx. 320 miles). At 78 mph in 5th gear, the engine turns about 3200 rpm, so it accelerates up to 90, 95, effortessly when needed. No wind noise, no buffeting, no a/c noise, no hatch noise, no strut noise; the car is rock-solid, and rides like a mid-sized sedan. I commuted back and forth to work, and elsewhere, the rest of the week, on the same tank of gas, averaging 31 mpg with the a/c on the majority of the time.

Last weekend, I drove down to Long Island, via NY-22 much of the way. NY-22 is, for the most part, a combination of very straight and very winding 55 mph one-lane road, but goes through a number of villages and hamlets where speed limits drop to 35 mph or below. On the 55 mph sections, I usually set the cruise at 60, but one is hard-pressed to maintain that speed on most stretches because of the plethora of aggravating slowpokes doing 40 to 50. The Elantra quickly gets to 70 or 80, so time spent passing in the oncoming lane is minimal.

Starting the trip home, I pulled up next to an Audi A4 1.8T (probably a 150 hp version with a slushbox) at a stop light; he was in the left lane, I was in the right lane, and we were both turning left onto the westbound L.I.E. service road. When the light changed, the Audi immediately turned and put the pedal to the metal, whereas I held back slightly to ensure there was no late cross-traffic. The entrance to the L.I.E. was a few hundred yards up the road on the left; I not only caught him, but passed him and beat him to the entrance. Hopefully, for his self-esteem, he thought it was a Saab. For the entire round-trip, about 300 miles, plus local mileage, I averaged 30 mpg, again, with the a/c on most of the time.

Over the years, I've owned a couple of Toyotas, a '79 Subaru (a *very* nasty piece of crap), and a couple of Mazdas, all new, all manuals; and a gently used '97 base Tiburon 5-spd, which I traded-in for the GT last year. With the exception of the Tib, the Elantra GT has by far the best handling and acceleration of the lot, is the most fun to drive, and is close enough performance-wise and has so many more amenities than the Tib -- it was dark purple with no a/c, which would have been really unbearable with the unrelentingly brutal heat and humidity in the northeast this summer -- that I don't regret the replacement. All in all, this is one great "little" car.
  • Options
    Your car is really what I want next, even though I love my GLS to death. It is so reassuring to hear more and more satisfaction from owners like us.

You and I are sooooooo in agreement over left-lane cloggers. Here in West Michigan, not only is the lane inhabited by these cretins, some have the nerve to try motioning ME to their right, even though they are not in the correct lane. Add to this exits and entrances on the left of the freeway, where people are nowhere near the speed of the rest of traffic. Add to this the fact that not only is there no sense of urgency, there isn't even a HINT of a sense of urgency. Some of us like to travel at reasonable speeds, not below the speed suggestion. As a Detroit transplant, I yearn for the insane (but in-synch) driving of Detroit or Chicago drivers.

Now, back to the GT. My dealer has a "sold" Pewter GT in their lot, driven up from a Michigan City, IN, dealer. It is a stick, with moonroof and ABS, and even though I really dislike add-ons, the slim black spoiler is very nice. Just over $16K on the sticker. A steal.
  • Options
    jimpimmsjimpimms Member Posts: 81
    Here's a more direct link to the Detroit Free Press' Elantra GT review:

http://www.auto.com/reviews/ulrich29_20020829.htm

• Options
    No leather in my GT, hubby HATES it. :) So I have the dark grey interior with the cloth seats. It actually doesn't look bad in the Champagne GT. They also have a beige fabric interior available on the GLS's but I don't think it's available on the GT's - it's supposedly not as 'deluxe' as the grey. But I'm getting used to the dark grey and it's really not too hard on the eyes. *smile* One point in its favour - it will be easier to keep clean and with a 16 year old and the dog....well, ease of cleaning is a must. *wink*

Took the 'Princess' for a drive yesterday afternoon on some windy county roads. My Goodness!! She certainly holds the road nicely! I love this car more each day!
  • Options
    goby2000goby2000 Member Posts: 9
    I recently purchased a black GT (11) 5spd. in July and have been very very pleased with the car (3100km/2000mi)! Although the car definitely has enough HPs, I feel that it's just a few shy from an excellent GT. I find it especially lacking in the mid RPM (2-3.5K) range. I just purchased a K&N highflow stock filter replacement and it seems to have improved the performance slightly. I am also thinking about changing the plugs to Bosch Platinum+4 and maybe wires. I don't want to do anything crazy with the car (like throttle body change, etc) just simple cheap mods. Anybody out there wanting to do the same thing or has done and has some advice to give? Thanks!
  • Options
    Thanks jimpimms ... I read the paper copy Thursday, and I've never bothered to learn how to post direct links on here.

MontrealGT: Leather is usually chosen for easy-to-clean properties (esp. dog hair which brushes off and drool which wipes off), however I must admit that my last car's partial leather (w/cloth) was still enough for me to lay a towel on it to prevent my summer legs from sticking. Interesting note on beige v. grey cloth; ours are the same pattern and texture. Are Canadian cloth seats two different patterns? I really think the GT interior should offer a cloth like that in the Tiburon. I would definitely consider that over leather. (P.S. I thought dogs and teenagers get tossed into the hatch)

goby2000: There might be posts in the Accessories and Modifications thread for people who have done plugs, filters, etc.
  • Options
    goby2000 asked --

I just purchased a K&N highflow stock filter replacement and it seems to have improved the performance slightly. I am also thinking about changing the plugs to Bosch Platinum+4 and maybe wires. I don't want to do anything crazy with the car (like throttle body change, etc) just simple cheap mods. Anybody out there wanting to do the same thing or has done and has some advice to give?

My site Drivers & Believers is a good source of information on modest add-ons to this car.

I installed Bosch Plus 4s in mine and I think it resulted in slightly improved pickup. I don't believe that it did anything for the mileage though.

• Options
    edovidedovid Member Posts: 22
    I enjoyed the review in the Free Press, but it seems to suffer from typical GT review-itis.
    "The GT isn't the best in its class (never
    saying what is or why) but has great handling, power, brakes, style, warranty, content, etc."
    What more do they want, a great price?
  • Options
    To be honest, I was thinking that the leather was actually beige - don't know where I got that idea! But the driving force behind the cloth choice was the hubby - who, believe it or not, gos out to shovel snow at -10C or about 14F in just his t-shirt. The man is NEVER cold. He would have been soooo uncomfortable in the leather. And we can't have a cranky hubby. :)

From what I can tell, the GT only comes with the cloth that is a dark grey with almost a denimy feel to it (aside from the leather that is). The beige almost veloury is only in the sedans, I think, and as I remember, it wasn't the same pattern at all - didn't have the Hyundai freckles. ;) The dealer didn't have much in the way of GTs at this time of the year. There were only 2 5speeds left on the lot when I bought mine. My Prime Beige/Champagne one was the showroom model and there was an Ebony Black that was the test drive car. Having just done 4 years with my Ebony Accent GSI, I'd had my fling with black cars - they look terrific, but man, the upkeep!!

And now that you mention it, the hatch in this baby is so big that I probably can fit the teenager and the dog in it! And it's kinda nice to know that when hubby and I head down to CT in a couple of weeks, I won't see a single car like mine! I'll tell you, the Champagne (I will not call it boring Beige!) gets prettier every day - very classy looking if I do say so myself. :)
  • Options
    I agree, Sue, the champagne/prime beige color is a good one. I have it on my '01 GLS and it's been great for upkeep. I think I've washed my car maybe twice this summer--and I'm picky about how my car looks. All the rain we've had has kept it clean, plus I've had to take it into a body shop three times to get a dent fixed perfectly, and each time I bring it in they wash and detail the car for me. The only color better for upkeep IMO is pewter--my first choice, but none was available in my area with a 5-speed when I purchased the car in October '00. Some people have remarked that champagne is a "boring" color, and makes them feel like they are driving a Camry, but I think it's a classy color (and at my age, I don't think the feeling of driving a Camry is a bad thing.) I guess I am like your husband; I think leather is uncomfortably sticky most of the time, except in winter (Minnesota) when it's uncomfortably cool. I prefer the feel of cloth--but the smell of leather is nice, I must admit. I wish the GT, and the rumored GTS sedan, offered leather as an option in the USA (with an accompanying reduction in price).
  • Options
    The only other GT in my town lives a block away from me and is the silver/pewter. And it looks super classy too! Hubby's Accent is silver and that seems to be, by far, the favorite colour for vehicules here in the Montreal area - so, as you might have guessed from my previous post, it wasn't unique enough for me. :) At first I thought the Carbon Blue was the spiffiest colour available and originally I was looking to get what they call Parrot Blue (the tealish colour) but there were none to be had. As time goes by, I'm starting to believe that the Champagne and the Pewter are the nicest colours for this car. They all look super though, I must admit!

Hopefully, when the 2003's arrive, there will be a little more choice in packages and available colours. I have to think that the popularity of this car has taken Hyundai by surprise this year, much as the '99 Accent GSi's did - at least in this part of the world.
  • Options
    It sounds like non-velour GT cloth is a choice we could use here in the U.S. Also, we don't have Parrot Blue at all (looks terrible on the website, would have to see one on the car).
  • Options
    th003gth003g Member Posts: 149
    ps: in america the parrot blue is called ocean blue and is olny avaliable on the GLS actually a very nice color
  • Options
    on the Korean website was a lighter, teal color. On the Canadian site it looks like our Ocean Blue. Can't find the color selector in Korean since I don't read that language, but I'll locate it.
  • Options
    Or, as we call it in French - Blue Amazone - isn't as 'blue' as the Ocean Blue appears to me. I thought at the time that it would look really spiffy, but, in retrospect.....I think I could have been mistaken. :) I'm lovin' the Champagne Princess!

Have you checked out the Australian or Swiss or Italian sites? Boy, does Hyundai have interesting models on other continents! And the plethora of colours! That Lavita or Matrix (I wonder who used the name first?) is pretty nifty looking. And the itty-bitty Atos is kinda cool - probably wouldn't fly here in North America though, we like our cars bigger, don't we? Still, imagine the mileage!
  • Options
    In Australia Parrot Blue is a mid blue colour, the teal colour is Mystic Teal and is relatively dark.

The web sites are NOT a good representation of the colours in general. The Lavita is an interesting car, built on the Elantra platfrom but actually shorter than an Accent, it is quite high so easy to get into and out of.

Australia has adopted smaller cars in a big way since petrol prices skyrocked in the 70's, although the micros are not accepted well here, the accent has done particularly well here.
  • Options
    At any rate, black has always been my color of choice, but the grey interior is too dark. I opted for Champagne and I like it, especially since spring pollen coats the car in approximately the same color. I just need to remember to keep the windows up (a-choo!). Maybe one day I can have a black GLS or GT with the nice Canadian fabric in a light beige color. Sweet.
  • Options
    ...from North of the border? http://www.canadiandriver.com/testdrives/02elantra_gt.htm

And look! It shows a beeeyoootiful Prime Beige (sigh) GT just like mine! ;) Only I have the noseguard or do you call it the bug deflector - the plastic one, you know.

Oh, and remember...the prices quoted are all Canadian $$.

• Options
    For anyone interested in what is being done by Hyundai Motors America about the Elantra's "Poor" score in the IIHS offset crash test, there is a thread going on right now in the "Hyundai is the greatest car line available to the public" board about this issue. A gentleman from Hyundai in Korea has offered there, through the member name site815, to take opinions about Hyundais back to the company. That offer has generated quite a bit of traffic. Check out #1162 (also some previous posts) for a summary of Hyundai's view of the problem and the actions they have already taken in Korea to address the front seat mounting problem. It also looks like HMA is planning to take some action soon on this issue.
  • Options
    That looks great in Champagne!
  • Options
    Thank you! Had it parked next to a Porsche convertible this afternoon at the office and one of my co-workers looked out the window and said, "You know, parked next to the high-priced fancy car your GT definitely holds its own." And another said, "It looks like an Audi, only prettier!" I have to admit, I giggled. ;)
  • Options
    th003gth003g Member Posts: 149
    after a 1 day 560mile roundtrip escapade to bignhamton ny i finally broke 21.0 mpg... i had not reset my computer for the last 3-4kmiles... and had averaged 20.1 over that time... mostly 8 mile roundtrip to work...
    it works out to about 26-27mpg for the trip... average speed on the highways outside queens was 80 topped out at barely triple digits...in queens average was 50... hit 2 huge craters on the way back on the GWB... thought and felt like rims were cracked or bent but upon initial inspection no damage to my 205/45/17 babies... (my coworkers say i ride on rubber bands... thats how thin my sidewall is...)im going to have my tire guy take off teh tires and wheels and inspect them separately for damage inside out this weekend... i was even looking out for potholes the whole way... the damn things streched across the Cross bronx center lane where i hit both of em on my way back..
    powerful enough to keep with v-8's but needed to drop down a gear to speed up on those nasty long climbs
  • Options
    little9little9 Member Posts: 30
    Any word on Hyundai resolving the problem with the oil pan drainage plug. Seems like a number of postings mention this issue and resolve it with aftermarket add-ons. What would keep Hyundai from addressing this? I don't live near a Hyundai dearlership for oil changes nor do I desire to do oil changes myself so this leaves me with "Jiffy Lube" type shops for oil changes (and their highly trained/skilled teenaged staff who are certain to be both aware and mindful of the GT's special drain plug problems). Any word from WMoses?
  • Options
    Most of the problems I've read about with the drain plug seems to be people being basically careless or not doing things like replacing the crushable washer with a new unit then because they use the old or no washer over tighten the plug and thus strip the thread.

If memory serves they used an Aluminum pan on the elantra not the normal pressed steel and thread insert others use. This change would have been done for rigidity and noise issues I would think
  • Options
    I know years ago Ford used aluminum drain plugs... I'm guessing to keep people from stripping the pain threads. The problem there (and with the Hyundai's pan) is people's ignorance.... "if snug is good, tight should be better!"
    I worked part-time at a Wally world auto center, and most of the staff was/is kids without a clue. Even with the training video's, WHT bought 4 engines in 11 months I worked there (not because of me :) !
    Changing oil is so easy I'm surprised more people don't do their own. If you choose to have it done, go to someone who knows what they're doing (pay the extra $5). I don't know what Hyundai charges, but if they strip it... they'll fix it!