Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra 5-door

Comments

• clayman1000clayman1000 Member Posts: 69
    Here is a long, positive article from Knight/Ridder newspapers.
    http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/classifieds/automotive/5033163- .htm
  • rilo2002rilo2002 Member Posts: 6
    What kind of noise in your hatchback. Every once in a while I hear a light rattle noise from my hatch area, probably because the hatch did not close correctly (snap into place) or something is moving around in the trunk. It goes away sometimes, or I just stop noticing it. Since everything else works just fine, I haven't considered filing it under the lemon law.
  • kiltedfoolkiltedfool Member Posts: 18
    I've had my GT for a week now, and am very happy with it, some observations, questions, and quirks. First new car I've ever owned, and I spend 120 miles a day commuting in it, so I better love it :)

Anyway, I noticed a number of design and styling comparisons between the GT and a SAAB, specifically the climate control dials, layout, even the font, as well as the back end appearance. This similarity is pronounced enough that several colleagues told me they though tI had gotten a SAAB at first glance. Seeing as how my family first started driving SAABS in the mid-70s when they were rare enough you would wave at oncoming drivers in one, this is not a bad thing to me. I always liked the SAAB's quirky design, safety, and hauling capacity (especially as a college student).

The range on the radio (option pack 7, so CD etc) does not seem to be as large as the range on my previous car's vanilla AM/FM/Cassette. Same commute along I-195, and my standard stations get static and then fade out about 7-8 miles sooner, including similar weather etc. If I decide I want better range, is there a better antenna available through my dealer?

Due to my long commute along a fairly straight interstate, I'm not able to keep the car to a nice matronly 55 for the first 1200 miles as recommended in the Owner's Manual. However, I am mostly keeping to a sedate 70 in 5th gear at ~3000 RPMs which doesn't seem to stress the engine unduly. I'll wait another week until I hit my 1200 miles before airing it out or using aggressive on-ramp merging tactics. I'm assuming this practice of keeping within a small margin of 3000 RPMs will be a decent breaking in, am I right?

One Con listed on a review site of the Elantra was "stinky new car smell" and I laughed until I did notice it myself. It's a bit of a burning smell, the salesman claimed it was a protective spray applied to the engine for shipping, and the smell was basically that burning off. Is this true, does anyone else have familiarity with this?

My mileage to date looks to be in the 26 mpg range, most of it highway except the first and last 5-6 miles of my commute (3-4 lights). I'm guessing cold weather additives (Philly area), driving ~70 mph and maybe other factors are driving down my efficiency a hair. We'll see.

Also need some rubber floor mats to protect the carpet mats from snow and slush, is that dealer or AutoZone?

And I can't believe a new car has made me anal to the point that everything I normally carry in the trunk (jumpers, work boots, Carhartt) is now in a large rubbermaid bin/tub in the hatch.

Whee.
    KF
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    The SAAB comparison has been made by many, and I think it is a good one, stylistically speaking. I've used the "comparator" on the HyundaiUSA website to show features, photos and specs of the GT and the previous SAAB 9-3 side by side. The wheelbase and interior dimensions are within an inch or so of each other (the latest 9-3 is larger and not a hatch).

The burning smell is, I believe, related to shipping protectant for the trip from Korea. But it is likely burning from the exhaust underneath rather than the engine. It won't last long. The funky interior smell might be less noticeable because you have a leather interior.

Enjoy your car -- I think a GT hatch is next for me, unless I decide to wring 200,000 miles out of my GLS. :)
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    and thanks for your detailed notes!

Regarding floor mats - You may also want to check out our Elantra Owners Accessories Discussion and/or Main Accessories & Aftermarket Message Board. We look forward to hearing more about your Elantra GT. Happy motoring!

Revka
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
  • buggsmoranbuggsmoran Member Posts: 1
    I looked at and test drove a 2003 Elantra GT automatic, moonroof, no ABS today. Liked it alot. TMV on Edmunds says 15211. They offered me 16656, quite a bit higher. I haven't started haggling, but this seems really high (it's 500 over MSRP) They offered 1500 on my trade, Im lucky if its worth 500, 97 Cavalier, needs $1000 dealer work. I am a poor haggler. Anyone want to give me a number to try on them? Also, is the ABS really worth it?
  • mxo11mxo11 Member Posts: 27
    I've found Edmunds' TMV quite accurate. It's very unfortunate that nowadays, with all the Internet resources (and the dealers know it), they try to sell you a car for such higher prices (when I bought mine, the asked "price" was $19,500 or so. I finally got it -fully loaded- for the TMV at the time, $14,900, but I lived four of the most awful hours in my life). Dealers could save them and us all the wasted time in haggling by just giving a fair price. I guess, depending on the trade offer, you could stand firm with the TMV or less (especially if your market area has other options). [The dealer offered you about $1,000 more for your Cavalier? Maybe you could offer them ~$16,000 for the GT???]

ABS? That's like insurance: you may never need it, but better have it!
  • lovetosavegaslovetosavegas Member Posts: 73
    I agree with you that it is a great car, enjoying it my-self. But the price seems high. With your trade-in 16K minus rebate. Sounds reasonable. But still could be high in some markets. See how many Hyundai dealers are in your area and get their quotes via e-mail through internet sales managers.
    ABS is a waist of $$ IMHO. I think that Elantra has soft breaks, but having ABS will not change the breaks feel.
  • clayman1000clayman1000 Member Posts: 69
    "the salesman claimed it was a protective spray applied to the engine for shipping, and the smell was basically that burning off. Is this true, does anyone else have familiarity with this?"

Yes, it is true.
    When I test drove a couple GT's I noticed that smell right away after each short drive. I also was told it is a spray to protect the car during the trip over.
    It was also apparent in my GT for the first week.
    I hate it as it made me a little nauseous. It disappeared after a week.

After 2500 miles I am really loving this car.
    I love the smell of leather in the morning.
    I bought in the Philly burbs, which also draws/competes with the NJ market, which I'd expect to be among the priciest markets based on general cost of living. See my comments about what I paid for an 03 GT loaded with everything but automatic tranny within the last week, and I spent NO time negotiating on the price, only haggling was over my trade the following day when I brought it in. I intentionally didn't drive my trade-in there initially to avoid impulse buying and to keep initial negotiation on raw price, not trade-in or financing.

The accessories board did have a link to HDKautosports.com, which had rubber mats, a cargo net, and a cargo liner (among many other less utilitarian mods) available. No antenna upgrade, but now that I have CD in-car, I can easily bridge that 10 minutes between stations or find a new station, and a $10 Rubbermaid bin is an easy short term substitute to a $50-60 cargo liner.

Another interesting tidbit: The mileage reported by the tripmeter/computer is a little lower than actual, perhaps because of how it's a running average. It's reporting 26.7 mpg, whereas I ran 319 miles before filling up with 10.45 gals for 30.5 mpg.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Ziglifler noted that the A/C is on by default when the heater is on. I have to disagree with that--I think the A/C only comes on in defrost or defrost+heat mode. At least, the A/C on my Elantra doesn't come on when in heat mode--I could tell if it did.

Re break in, cruising at 70 mph: one thing you do not want to do is use the cruise control for any length of time when breaking in a car. It's better to vary speeds to help the rings seat better, which reduces oil consumption down the road.
  • zigliflerziglifler Member Posts: 99
    backy you are right a/c is on as default with the defrost on not heat . i was thinking defrost but said heat . my bad can u got it right
    i take that back . the A/C is on as DEFAULT no matter what u do on my GT . i checked last night on the way home from work after i replied to backys post .
    I think you'd better have your car's HVAC system checked. The A/C is not supposed to be on by default in every mode, just defrost and defrost+heat. On vent, vent+heat, and heat, you have to press the A/C button to turn it on.
    Why on earth I didn't think to check out the Tiburon antenna escapes me. If it survives the car wash (please let me know this), then that will be the next purchase for my car. Speaking of said peach of a car: it just rolled 25K miles today.
    i will have it checked but i tried it last nioght on the way home from work and the ac is on by defult nomatter what the setting is , feet only , dash only def any of the settings . the ac light goes on as soon as i turn on the fan . just checked the manual and it doesn't say eitherway if it is default on or off or only when in defrost.
    OK, how many other owner's Elantra HVAC systems work the way ziglifler's does--A/C on by default in all modes?
  • jimpimmsjimpimms Member Posts: 81
    I'm reposting this -- without the offending site references -- as I inadvertently violated Edmunds' Membership agreement, and my original post was deleted.

Congratulations on your Elantra GT acquisition.

Antenna: for under $10, you can buy an '03 Tiburon antenna mast, which is wire-wrapped and black. It seems to pull in stations better, and IMO looks better.

Mileage: Your overall mileage should increase as the engine "loosens up".

Floor mats: I believe that full size winter mats can be obtained from your dealer, but I've had good luck with the small heavy-duty rectangular deep-dish rubberized mats from Wal*Mart (under $5 ea.). Not only do they prevent the carpeted mats from getting filthy, but, since I constantly heel-and-toe/double-clutch, I no longer bore two holes in my carpeted mat with my heels. I use one year-round on the driver's side, and on the passenger's side during winter/spring. My wife's car has a beige carpet, and it's hardly soiled using these mats. I've seen them in black, tan, and clear, and they're heavy enough that you need to reposition them only occasionally. One additional dress-up mod that many are doing is the '03 Tiburon aluminum pedal set/dead pedal (MSRP $28).

Trunk: I just recently installed a Hyundai full cargo tray (MSRP $70), which is working nicely to keep stuff from shifting. It's also easier to keep clean. Your dealer can supply a cargo net, too. In lieu of the cargo tray, you can apply the hook part of hook-and-loop fasteners to the bottom of your bin to prevent it from moving.
  • gtovritgtovrit Member Posts: 53
    My AC only goes on when it's supposed to, in defrost or AC. Otherwise, I have to push the AC button. My Taurus, on the other hand, does not even allow the option of no AC, it even states it in the manual, all air except full heat is a blend of heat and AC. The Elantra will blow fresh outside air as a default, a much better system. Even recirculated air can be non-AC.
     While I'm here, please, no more comparisons to the SAAB, I know the size specs are frighteningly similar, but that is the ugliest car to come off a boat in years. I never thought it resembled the Elantra GT until I read all the posts here, where that is emphasized like it's a positive thing. The Saab looks like it was three generations back on the design drawing board, made by a team with no sense of style or aerodynamics. I have had occasion to park my GT near a Saab, and the GT comes off so better. The Saab looks squashed in the hood area, the windshield rake and shape are bulbous, the side glass looks out of proportion, and overall, the thing looks very dated and clunky. The Elantra, meanwhile, is smooth, and all the parts fit together as a whole. Hyundai has definitely got a better group of designers than they used to. Saab, meanwhile, has never designed a really good looking car yet. Eye-catching, interesting, yes, but not good looking.
     Long live the Elantra GT!
    by comparisons to SAAB. But this is an opinion board, so that is the risk we take by participating--that someone will have an opinion that differs from our own. I personally think there is a resemblance to the old 9-3, and furthermore that Hyundai intentionally made the GT 5-door resemble the 9-3 5-door. But it's kind of a moot point now that SAAB no longer makes the 5-door 9-3. Also, the new 9-3 is IMO (and according to the reviews I've read) a pretty nice looking car.
  • lovetosavegaslovetosavegas Member Posts: 73
    Looks are really objective. One person may like it and the other will not. IMO Elantra looks good.
    Another thing is that designers sometimes 'borrow' styling clues from existing models. For example, nobody can argue that Acura RL looks like Mercedes from the back. I also noticed that Elantra's hood lines looked similar to Alfa Romeo's 147.
    My A/C only comes on when it is supposed to: in defrost mode and mixed heat/defrost. Anything else would be cause for me to visit the dealer.

The old SAAB 9-3 didn't have the bulbous, upright windshield, the REALLY old 9-3 did, along with the awkward rear quarters. I don't know when the last generation 9-3 began, but it ended in 2002. At any rate, I don't think there is dispute about the good looks of the GT.

Sadly, our little tiny auto show here in Grand Rapids, MI did not feature either of the Elantra GTs, and even the Detroit show only featured the Elantra GT sedan. My favorite GT hatch feature: the additional rear running lights. Leather doesn't hurt, either. :)
  • donl68donl68 Member Posts: 31
    The AC light only comes on in my '02 GT when I press the button. The light does not come on automatically in any mode. I just checked the owners manual and it says that the AC is supposed to come on when you select defrost. I actually thought the AC came on in some sort of 'low power' mode for the defrost and that the light would not come on for that. I don't know why I thought that. I guess I thought that that is how some cars do it. Yesterday my friend in a Santa Fe put on the defrost and the AC light came on, now I read this stuff on here. I will have this checked at my next service for sure! Thanks everyone.
    come on all you gt people can you check and see how your ac works when u turn on your fan . this is strange some say it only is on when they are in heat/defrost or defrost and mine is always on as default no matter what seeting i have the air coming out at . i will check it again tonight when i leave werk . i will put the selector on foot and turn on the fan and see if ac light comes on . i am thinking that if maybe i start in defrost and then move the selector it will stay on maybe . but the one post saying it doesn't come on at all puts it all across the board . so i know alot that read this board have a gt . when u get in your car next give it a shot and post here please .

tanks

flame on
    Well, I'm glad my question about the potential relationship between heating and gas consumption gave rise to this survey/issue. In fact, I was going to reply to ziglifler a while ago, when he mentioned that in his GT the A/C is always on by default, that that is not the case in my car. A/C is ON ONLY when I select defrost or defrost/heating mode (feet) and this is stated in the manual. A/C turns automatically off when I move the selector to a different position (feet only, face/feet or face only), even if I start the car in defrost mode.

On the Saab comparison issue: I also had the chance to park very next to one. I'm not going to say the Saab is beautiful or ugly; I just like my GT much better!
  • cb70cb70 Member Posts: 226
    What kind of warranty does Hyundai give on a used car. I know the 10-100 is not transferrable but is there any warranty for the 2nd owner? Thanks!
  • lmp180psulmp180psu Member Posts: 399
    I am not sure about the warranty for a second owner but I remember hearing that the 10/100,000 is downgraded to 5/60,000, don't hold me to that though. Also I think I remember people talking on this board about how the 2001 GT's do NOT have the "sport suspension" ( suspension is same as GLS). Hyundai changed to sport suspension in 2002, so if the sportier suspension is important to you, then maybe look for a used 2002 GT. Just wanted to "warn" you about that fact. If I am wrong, other GT fans please correct me.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    The 5 year/60k warranty stays in effect for the 2nd owner. This is for bumper-to-bumper as well as the powertrain.
    Some early 2001 GTs had the "comfort suspension" or whatever it was called on the window sticker. Later '01s had the usual sport suspension. Your best bet is to check the window sticker, if it's with the car (I keep all my car's window stickers, but I'll bet I'm an exception). Without the sticker, check the build date. I recall the first GTs started appearing onshore in San Diego in the spring (April?) of '01, so the build date was probably in March for the first units. Also I wonder if there's some way that by running the VIN that a dealer can tell the equipment that's on a car?
  • joffficerjoffficer Member Posts: 169
    comes on only when I have the fan on, and in defrost... unless I turn it on for A/C of course.
  • sr_srikanthsr_srikanth Member Posts: 41
    It has been a while here for me. I am nearing 30K miles on my elantra GT. Very happy owner.

When I went for my last oil change I asked the dealer about 30K service and he said it will cost about $425. When I checked on the edmunds.com it says it will cost me only $250. Why there is such a big difference? What is the approximate rate that we expect to pay?
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    with the exception of plug replacement (most platinums can do more than 30K) for about $50 at a chain garage. This doesn't include lifetime tire balancing and rotation that I purchased separately from Wal-Mart for $7+ a tire. That's why I don't trust dealers. If they sell you a car at a below market price they try to make up for it.
    Watch out for "extra" services that some dealers try to add to their service packages. Bring your warranty manual with the service schedules when you talk with the service advisor and compare the services required by the warranty to the services in the package. Then ask them to do only those things specified in the warranty book, plus anything else that makes sense to you, e.g. tire rotation, windshield wipers (easy to do yourself).
  • 204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    A "heated" debate! by mxo11 Feb 04, 2003 (8:07 am).

You got it right. AC comes on as default cause it clears the interior fog much fast than just heated air. Virtually all cars built in last 5-10 years do this. On some you can defeat this with some codes. Generally it is a good feature even though it may decrease mpg some.
  • bnorby1bnorby1 Member Posts: 16
    I have had my '02 GT since May. You know, this is a nice car for the money...we took ours to florida from michigan and back of course, no complaints, all is still well. It handles well in the snow too - even without tcs, if you start to loose it, you can easily regain control. My a/c light only comes on when I turn it on...even in defrost mode..my two cents. Anyway, here's the "hey wow!" - I was considering amping up the sound in the car, mildly unimpressed with the sound in it, when I realized the bass/treble knob, when it is extended, you can pull it out and adjust the treble seperate from the bass! Duh! My feeling of stupidity was replaced with, "gee, the stereo in this car is actually pretty good". Always nice to find something new, even if it was something so obvious - hey, this is my first new car...go easy...
    Mentioned my possible interest in getting a Tiburon antenna to my dealer while calling on an unrelated question. She said it was an install she had had done, I would have to bring it in to their shop to have it done.

I was of the impression it was a simple "unscrew old antenna, screw on new antenna". Am I right? I got the impression she was looking for an easy "repair" with attendant markup.

And if it's kosher with the Hosts, anyone who knows vendors other than my dealer to acquire cargo tray, this antenna, Hyundai winter mats can email kilted_fool@yahoo.com

Thanks
    KF, I hope you have more than one dealer in your area to choose from. The Tiburon antenna cost me around $11, I could unscrew the original by hand and screw in the new one, as a matter of fact, I do it whenever I go through the car wash. I had hoped Hyundai was a little different kind of car dealer, and mine has been straightforward, but someone is trying to stick it to you. I suggest going straight back to the parts department, just tell them you want a Tiburon antenna, no need to fill them in on your plans. It's nothing but an antenna in a plastic bag, remove one and replace. Then go show the person who told you it was a dealer install. With your newfound technical expertise, maybe you can get her job. Don't let 'em bluff you.
  • jimpimmsjimpimms Member Posts: 81
    All you want to replace is the antenna mast, not the whole assembly. It should cost about $10 plus tax.
    Sorry I missed the point but what's the advantage of a Tiburon antenna versus the GT's?
    some people have said it gets better reception, longer coverage area etc., but the main reason I think is because it looks at lot better than the chrome antenna. The GT one has that european/VW look to it.
    Tiburon, not GT, sorry.
  • codata99codata99 Member Posts: 123
    It's to reduce wind noise. The design has got nothing to do with radio reception.
    I replaced mine just for looks. Can't tell any other difference, although the voices in my head seem to come in more clearly now.
  • gpagpagpagpa Member Posts: 55
    I was reading some articles and saw some pictures of the GT and noticed that my rear wiper is situated on the passenger side and goes down, but in other pictures, its on the driver side rear. What side is your rear wiper on, does it matter?
    Mine is on the driver's side. If that matters, I don't have a clue but, definitely, it seems that not all GT's are created equal (remember the heating/AC situation?)!

Have a great weekend and don't forget the flowers!
    Also on the driver's side.
  • gpagpagpagpa Member Posts: 55
    turns out that the rear wiper is on the driver side, oops, my mistake, sorry.
    well the day before i was to take my car in to see why the ac seemed to stay on as default no matter what the settings was .. well i checked one last time and damnit it would only come on in defrost mode as default . so either i was useing some of the brain cells i cooked up in the 80s , boy them was some fun times if only i could remember them umm i think , or i am just a dumb [non-permissible content removed] bevis . but it only seems to be ac on in defrost as default .

flame on
    But you have to be of a certain age to use that excuse.

I had a good one awhile back. Went out to the driveway to start my Grand Caravan. To my horror, the key wouldn't turn in the ignition! I was totally befuddled by that, but figured it was a good excuse to test DC's roadside assitance. I called it in, and you could tell the dispatcher was a little perplexed also, but he ordered a tow truck. Then I went back inside my house and saw the keys to the van hanging by the door. Yes, I had tried to use my Elantra key to start the van. It fit into the keyslot on the van, but of course wouldn't turn. I called the roadside assistance number and cancelled the tow truck--told them everything was OK, but did not elaborate.
  • clayman1clayman1 Member Posts: 41
    Maybe you had the AC button pushed in all that time and did not realize it!?

I have senior moments every day...if I could remember them I would share...