Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• Options
    paulyjsobpaulyjsob Member Posts: 48
    During normal driving (no real load on engine) what should my oil pressure be? I just had my instrument cluster replaced and my oil pressure indicator indicates a different reading then my previous cluster did. Right now it around 60 psi during normal driving and about 70 when accelerating. I never remember it getting over 60 psi, even under real hard acceleration.
  • Options
    aldan93aldan93 Member Posts: 202
    My vibration is most noticeable at low rpms 1500-2000, I don't know what it is? The dealer called me back today to see if the springs helped? I told him it got worse! It actually gives you a pulsing sensation in your eardrums! THMMMMMMMMMM THMMMMMMMMM THMMMMMMMMM, But in reply I do not feel it in the gas pedal, as someone had stated! I feel it in the steering, and the dash ect...? It might be a engine/ tranny problem? I'm just curious what this could be because it is annoying! One thing is funny, a lot of people are talking about cold weather and snow! I have my TB since 12/28/03 I think I have used AWD everyday, and 4wd almost 10-15 days. I live south of Buffalo NY, you'll notice on the weather channel, they always talk about the south towns of Bufffalo, Well thatswere I live, near ski country, and on the base of the hills. This truck has been great so far except for the vibration!
  • Options
    st1100v4st1100v4 Member Posts: 96
    Mine ('02 Bravada) reads 50 psi during normal driving. However, I wouldn't be too concerned about the exact reading; just be sure that you have pressure at all times.
  • Options
    41564156 Member Posts: 31
    My TrailBlazer LS also makes this noise. I believe that it is caused by the electronic throttle control. I am not concerned at this point but will be if it gets louder.
  • Options
    dshepherd3dshepherd3 Member Posts: 194
    This condition is described differently by everyone, my TB has a hum or growl at 58-62 mph with 3.42 gears. Apparently this is caused by either exhaust or power train harmonics being transmitted into the passenger compt. through what the engineers feel is the rear springs. Now, it is possible there is another condition unrelated to this that the service dept. is attributing to this TSB, so it would seem that we must determine whether it is the TSB condition or some vibration under different condtions and symptoms or they are not going to correct the problem. I suspect most shops are not road testing for this and are using the owners comments to determine the cause.
  • Options
    jmingjming Member Posts: 9
    Hi - I am new to the forum but have read a lot of the posts in the last week or so. I've test driven a friend's 2002 TB LT and liked it a lot. I am thinking of getting a 2003 TB LT or Envoy SLT. But I'm really concerned by the volume and variety of quality / engineering defects that seem to exist on these trucks. Today I learned that my friend's TB (the one I test drove) is in the shop because the brake lights have failed. This kind of stuff is why I stopped driving American cars in the first place... Anyway, I'd like to know how people feel about their 2003 triplets, and would you recommend buying one based on vehicle quality and dealership experience? Thanks! Jim
  • Options
    ndmike88ndmike88 Member Posts: 155
    I purchased a 03 TB last month. So far so good. The only complaint I have is the "heat on the feet" problem some owners are facing. Other than that the TB has been what I expected. Smooth ride, nice stereo, and very good over all GM quality. As far as calling the TB (or any vechile you purchase new) a good investment----- Face it, no matter what kind of deal you get you end up getting the short end of the stick.
  • Options
    cmack4cmack4 Member Posts: 302
    I feel exactly the same way about the constant torque split. The best of both worlds would be if they could force the newer electrically engaged system to have the constant split... I'd even settle for a 85/15 rear biased split!

I had my mirror actuators replaced as well for the wandering mirrors, and I notice a slight shaking/vibration of the driver's mirror at higher speeds. It's not bad at this point, but if it gets any worse, I'll be off to the dealer to get it fixed.
  • Options
    michael9040michael9040 Member Posts: 1
    Isn't anyone else annoyed about the way GM forces you to buy their proprietary OnStar system? If you want any options on the EXT version (I presume that it applies elsewhere also), you have to first whip out $800 for their system. I bought an Avalanche without one, but I guess I am headed away from GM if I want a loaded vehicle!
  • Options
    redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    Yeah, I was annoyed about being forced to have OnStar. But face it, that is the direction GM is heading with almost all of their vehicles. I don't think I'm going to renew mine after the first year.
  • Options
    scottc454scottc454 Member Posts: 356
    Does anyone actually use this?

Also, if you don't renew it, can they still find your car if it gets stolen? (assuming the thief hasn't destroyed the system)
  • Options
    nuyorkahnuyorkah Member Posts: 100
    "Also, if you don't renew it, can they still find your car if it gets stolen? (assuming the thief hasn't destroyed the system)"

They can but they won't.
  • Options
    pepper50pepper50 Member Posts: 195
    Someone said:

"Also, if you don't renew it, can they still find your car if it gets stolen? (assuming the thief hasn't destroyed the system)"

Another someone replied:

They can but they won't.

I wouldn't be too sure. It's amazing how $250 or so might convince OnStar to cooperate. That's a little more than the annual membership. If I were OnStar, I'd tell the distraught owner, "Yes, we can find it, but we will need to charge you for an annual membership on your credit card. If the system has been disabled, we'll still charge you $50-100 for our time." It would be easy money for OnStar, requiring only a couple minutes effort. (Or maybe they'd charge you for an annual membership regardless of whether they found it or not.) I don't think they'd refuse the quick money just out of spite.
  • Options
    pepper50pepper50 Member Posts: 195
    Redline wrote:

Yeah, I was annoyed about being forced to have OnStar. But face it, that is the direction GM is heading with almost all of their vehicles. I don't think I'm going to renew mine after the first year.

I just got my renewal notice, and I don't intend to renew. I didn't use my OnStar during the first year, except one time just for the heck of it. I have a cellphone and I have AAA road service as well. About the only advantage I wouldn't have is the stolen vehicle service and the door-unlocking service (I get locksmith through AAA, but would likely have to wait an hour or so.) I just keep an extra key in my wallet.
  • Options
    Onstar could be a real money maker for GM if it weren't so darned expensive! The problem is that people expect it to be a nav system, which it definitely isn't! However, the system itself is excellent for what it does. The hands free functionality for personal calling is the hands down best I've ever used and the clarity is second to none. At least on the east coast, I've never not got or lost a signal either! Virtual Advisor functionality is nice as well. I like getting my weather and traffic reports based on my location, and it's also nice for stock quotes and sports scores every once in a while.

Now the bad part. The GPS is pretty much useless. The price of personal calling/virtual advisor minutes are not at all competitive with other cellular providers. Subscrition fees get you little more than what you'd get from AAA. Overall it just isn't worth it. If it were cheaper, I'd seriously consider keeping it though for convenience sake.
  • Options
    2002slt2002slt Member Posts: 228
    A nice value packed feature would be to let OnStar owners communicate amongst themselves for free. Maybe a reduced rate if not free. Cellular companies do this all the time. It may be enough to tilt someone's decision towards keeping it.

My service is up in about two weeks. I've never used it for anything, but I do see some value. The stolen vehicle recovery value is minimal. Any good thief would just twist off the antenna, rendering the system useless. I like the unlock feature and airbag deployment notification. If they could only start the engine for me, I'd be in. It's been cold in Chicago for too long.
  • Options
    ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    I don't think so. Onstar was able to pinpoint my exact location to the street address when I needed a tow. I knew where I was, but it was reassuring that they knew exactly where I was too. Consider the benefit this would provide if your car was taken from you (carjacked) with a child or someone else inside, or if you were in a one car accident in a remote location and you were unable to use a cell phone. The annual fee is a small price to pay just for the emergency response portion of the service.

Frank
  • Options
    Sorry, I should have clarified... The gps is perfectly useful to onstar reps. It's just useless to the end user. It should at least have a voice command to give you coordinates or a street name.
  • Options
    condoriolecondoriole Member Posts: 39
    I was unhappy about the way On Star was forced on me as well but I have to say I actually enjoy it. The only thing useful is the cell phone in my opinion, the rest is just to impress your friends (which I have been doing on a regular basis.) The truck phone(as we call it)is great. We went camping and skiing twice with the truck and no one could get a signal on their phones. Imagine the oohs and ahs as we get a crystal clear satelite connection in the middle of nowhere. Well worth the price of the minutes in my mind.

As for the Truck, 2003 LT EXT V8 with 2280 miles and loving everyone of them!
  • Options
    2002slt2002slt Member Posts: 228
    Satellite connection???

Not quite, just an analog cell tower.
  • Options
    aldan93aldan93 Member Posts: 202
    I found this site and would like to share it, it has some pics with equipment installed so I thought it was nice!

http://www.trailblazerstuff.com/

I love the grill inserts!
  • Options
    st1100v4st1100v4 Member Posts: 96
    I also have areas where OnStar will connect when phones won't. I believe this is due to it using the higher power standard that is allowed when the antenna is not next to your head (like the bag phones of old). Strictly from memory, the difference is 3(?) watts vs. 1/4 (1/2?) watts. In any case a very significant difference in power.
  • Options
    icojonesicojones Member Posts: 61
    I would bet that even the worst car thief knows that you can screw off the onstar antenna to prevent location of the car!
  • Options
    condoriolecondoriole Member Posts: 39
    Satelight, Analog, Digital.... Who Cares! I didn't want On Star to begin with and haven't researched it at all. All I know is we have had four cell phones in the truck on several different occasions and not one of them could get a signal while the truck could. While camping with a group of 16 in the middle of nowhere, not one person could get a signal but the truck could. Also the connection is much cleaner than any cell phone I've ever used but maybe that's because I'm listening through the Bose system.
    I hate to say it but it's worth the money to have some minutes available on the truck phone!
  • Options
    oskrisoskris Member Posts: 3
    Can someone respond with Power Mirror Switch GM part number. Also can central Console Shift Lever Bezel be purchased separately (without the console). If so then what is GM part number for the woodtrim bezel. I have Envoy XL 2003.
  • Options
    it's not quite that easy... The antenna on the outside is for cellular communications, not gps which is used to track the vehicle. I don't think they even have to "call" the truck specifically to track it. Even if they did, I've forgotten to put the antenna back on after going through a car wash before and still received incoming calls perfectly! The system definitely puts out more power than a standard cell phone.
  • Options
    tjpushtjpush Member Posts: 9
    Hi all,

I have been reading this board for a looong time and I was very concerned with the posted problems. Well after test driving the EXT and a Tahoe, I bought a EXT over the weekend. Hopefully I am not going to make a fool of myself.

The EXT: Pewter, 4wd, 3.73, radio with single CD and cassette(not Boss), running boards. No Onstar, no leather, no memory seats/mirrors, no computerized msg center(DIC?), and NO Trouble.

I will post mpg after I got to drive it for a while.
  • Options
    ron_mron_m Member Posts: 186
    envoyenvy & paulyjsob,

I experienced the gauge noise problem that you've
    described when I had my '02 TrailBlazer LTZ. It
    was more noticeable whenever the vehicle was in
    reverse and I was backing up into my driveway. You
    could also hear it as soon as you inserted the ignition key and turned it over one click. If you
    had the vehicle in 'Park' and revved the engine a little while the stereo and A/C were both turned off, the gauge grinding noise was very noticeable.
    The good thing was that all of the gauges seemed to remain in proper working order. No problems there. It didn't really bother me that much, because being the music lover and guitar player that I am, there wasn't too many times that I actually did have the stereo system turned off--or down for that matter! :-) Not sure what the root cause of the problem is, but I believe for the most part the condition is innocuous.

Ron M.
  • Options
    macman246macman246 Member Posts: 118
    How much current will the 275 watt Bose audio system draw? 70 watts at 25% volume? 140 at 50%? Or more? Enough to cause a significant drop in idle (or stalling) when the rear compressor (ECAS) kicks on with it's high current draw?

My intermitent stalling/near-stalling problem seems to happen most often when I've got the music cranked up, usually within the first 1/2 mile of driving. I've also noticed that the idle drops for a second but recovers when the temperature gauge is halfway between cold and normal but without ECAS kicking in. Not sure if that dip in idle is a software glitch, but coupled with the ECAS activating and the Bose cranking all at the right moment, seems like a good recipe for dropping the idle down to the point where it can't recover.

Any ideas? The shop foreman has given up, thinks it's a software glitch (aren't they all!), and I'm running out of options here.

TIA
  • Options
    seifordseiford Member Posts: 68
    Does anyone know how to get into the on-board diagnostics on the 2003 Envoy?

(On older GM cars you could hold the "off" and "warm" buttons on the climate control.)
  • Options
    envoyenvyenvoyenvy Member Posts: 24
    Thanks for the responses on the gauge noise. I have been driving my Envoy for a year, and have never heard it, guess I too never had the stereo and a/c off at the same time. It is not noticeable unless they are both off.

Went to the Explorer board to ask a guestion for a friend with a new Explorer. It stalls sometimes when put in reverse. There is no response! I wonder if they could be put off by my screen name :)
  • Options
    2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    I noticed the last few cold mornings (below 10 degrees) that when I start the TB, the voltage only goes to about 6v,(the inside light is dim)the needle stops for about 10 seconds then goes to the proper reading, about 14v. It does not do it in the afternoon when I leave work. I was wondering if anyone else noticed this. Could it be a delay put in there by GM to prevent a surge?
  • Options
    spdmtr5spdmtr5 Member Posts: 111
    replaced the rear muffler with a straight pipe or a small aftermarket muffler? If so,what was the sound level and was there any difference in performance?It sure would improve rear egress angles.
  • Options
    kgbkahnkkgbkahnk Member Posts: 89
    My brother has changed the exhaust on his Envoy from the converter, back...

Replaced the 1-in, 1-out muffler with a 1-in, 2-out muffler....then ran the exits out the back on both sides with polished, rolled-edge resonators tucked nice and tight to the rear bumper. No more ugly, black, stained resonator tip poking down at the ground.

Looks great!!! and made a very pleasant difference in sound, but makes no difference in performance. Planning on having it done to my TB as soon as I can get it to his shop.
  • Options
    jefferson6599jefferson6599 Member Posts: 2
    All right, I have now owned my first SUV for a month and I am not getting close to the listed gas mileage. I have the TB EXT LT and most of my driving would be considered city. I am lucky if I get 12 MPG. I need to do some highway driving to accomplish 12MPG. Has anyone successfully increased their MPG. Also, I usually run it for a while after the low gas indicator lights up, but still have only managed to put in 22 Gallons at the pump? Gauge issue? Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
  • Options
    jefferson - I think when the light comes on there is still about 4 gallons left in the tank. I have the Envoy XL, and I usually fill up with about 21 gallons or so. As far as mileage, I'm getting about 16 mpg in mixed city/highway driving. In highway-only driving the DIC averages about 21 mpg. I have not really driven in city only because I kind of live out in the country. Do you have the 4.10 gears? I have the 3.73. Checked your tire pressure? I think it is supposed to be 30 psi front, 35 psi rear.
  • Options
    4jwv4jwv Member Posts: 6
    I had my TB exhaust replaced, about 5 weeks ago, with a JBA50-3027 "Complete Aluminized Steel Cat-Back" System. It is 3" in diameter, and has a 3.5" Stainless Steel Tip. The fit and finish on this system is great, and it is low restriction. It looks great, and I think performance has increased. Sound levels have also increased,
    it sounds great when accelerating, nice tone,
    not too loud. But at cruising speed 1900 RPM to 2600 RPM it has a droning noise that is constant unless you are coasting downhill. I gutted my airbox and added a K&N airfilter and that got rid of about half the droning noise. Anyone else notice this annoying noise, after changing exhaust? Would it help lower noise to change to a complete new High Flow Air Filter System, (I still have the stock air tube with two resonance chambers)?
  • Options
    jwinkyjwinky Member Posts: 59
    Macman,

I can only speak to the drop in idle when the temperature gauge is halfway between cold and normal. I was experiencing that as well and the dealer did a recalibration. I initally thought that this did not fix the issue but we have been having some very cold weather around here, and the problem has not presented itself since the recalibration.

JAW
  • Options
    hillflahillfla Member Posts: 90
    Hi-

Just found this forum and wanted to post that I am a new Envoy owner and have been for 3 weeks now. I own a 2003 Blue Envoy SLE 2WD with the upgraded package so that I could get all the goodies that I love. I got the traction control and locking rear differential. I can already attest that it works well on slippery icy roads. So far I have been super happy with this SUV. Gas mileage does seem awful though!

My quick story, I traded in my 7 mo old Mazda Tribute because the ride for long car trips was unacceptable. The seats were so uncomfortable! So I did some test-driving and ended up with the Envoy. I am a GM lover from way back, I have owned a Citation (we're talking 1980's flashback - but the dang thing lasted for over 15 years!), 2 Camaros and a Sierra truck before this Envoy. I have read a lot of the posts here and am hoping that since I have a 2003 that a lot of the problems listed on this site I will never experience.

However....... I have one problem already. I live in St Louis where it is cold right now and my steering wheel column makes an awful squeally noise whenever I make a turn for about the first 10 minutes of driving until it warms up. I am going to check the power steering fluid level when I get home tonight. Anyone have any suggestions? I am going to have my dealer take a look next week when I take it in to get my console trim pieces replaced. Story there: whoever cleaned the SUV to get it ready for delivery used a chemical on all the shiny plastic that made it dull and streaky. So the dealer will be replacing it all for me.

Sorry for the long post but this is my first one and I wanted to introduce me and my Envoy and I hope to become an active participant of this site.
  • Options
    41564156 Member Posts: 31
    Welcome to the site hillfla. I am sure you will learn a lot about your Envoy here. Although these vehicles seem to have a lot of electrical quirks, most owners appear to be very happy.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hope this link doesn't make you wish you had waited a month, Hillfla :-)

GM Ups Profit-Eating Incentives on SUVs (ABC News)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    "Can someone respond with Power Mirror Switch GM part number. Also can central Console Shift Lever Bezel be purchased separately (without the console). If so then what is GM part number for the woodtrim bezel. I have Envoy XL 2003."

The mirror switch is specific to your truck depending on interior color so there is more than one part# listed.

If your talking about the woodgrain trim that is around the shifter and the cupholders or if its the silver bezel around the shifter boot, the answer is no you must buy the complete console.
    Price ranges from $700-900 depending on color and options.

Just call the parts department where you bought the truck and have your VIN# handy and they'll give you part# on the switch, list price is $25.39.
  • Options
    Is there a cargo mat for the Envoy XL that will cover the 3rd row seat when folded flat? What about one that will cover the 2nd and 3rd rows when folded flat?
  • Options
    Welcome and good luck with your new ride.

If the noise you hear is inside the truck I would have to say its not the P/S fliud. Let the Tech figure it out just be very specific as to when the noise occurs.
  • Options
    GM has a Vinyl Liner and a Cargo Tray

You can download a brochure at:
    http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/accessories/brochure.html
  • Options
    Thanks for the link. It doesn't really say if it covers the 2nd or 3rd row seats though. I would hate to get one that just covered the small area behind the 3rd row.
  • Options
    tsp1eeatsp1eea Member Posts: 1
    I have a '02 TB with 22,000 miles. I just noticed when I turn the ignition key on, all of the indicator lights turn off, then would turn off except the service engine light. Once I turn the key to start the engine, the service engine light would turn off, the other indicator lights turn on and off. I brought my TB to the dealer to check if something is wrong as what it says in the manual I ruled out already. The dealer suggested an engine oil flush. Nothing changed. When I brought it back, dealer say its normal. Boy, this service engine light can rip me off esp. when my mileage go much higher. Does anyone have the same experience? Any suggestions? Ed
  • Options
    twinrottstwinrotts Member Posts: 161
    I've been away from this board for only a week and feel like I missed so much.
    OnStar... I too love the cell phone and find it a much better value than a cell phone. I ran the math, and with my usage habits, by the time I pay for a minimal monthly plan for a cell,and the taxes that go with it, OnStar is less cost.
    I too have the vibration in the gas pedal between 60 - 65. Not too bad, but I now can tell how fast I'm driving without looking down.
    I toyed with replacing the springs, but tend to like to live with what I know rather than chance something that might be worse.
    I can now say that as of today, I can join the wandering mirror club. Drivers side only thus far but it was star gazing. Funny thing is that I always use the same key fob and there is no need for the mirror to adjust. I always thought it was a wandering while resetting issue, but obviously not.
    I also noticed that the voltage gauge stays at low voltage for a few seconds after every start.
    It is definately a function of either the alternator or a capacitor as when the guage starts moving up, interior lights brighten. I was thinking it was a sort of soft start feature to prevent surge overloading, but would like to hear other thoughts.
    Last but not least, I too experience what appears to be delayed 1st to 2nd shifting with the engine stone cold. Seems like power availability is low but then again I do not stomp on it either. Lasts only a short time and I can get to expressway speeds safely within a minute or so. Has anyone had the TSB done to reprogram the cold 1st to 2nd shift issue. Have you been happy???
  • Options
    ross1962ross1962 Member Posts: 229
    Your gas milage will improve considerably once the engine is completely broken in. About 6000-8000 miles.
  • Options
    I got my policy renewal from State Farm today. They want $946 for six months on my Intrigue and Envoy XL! It went way up from last time when I didn't have the Envoy XL. Anyways, I got a quote from Progressive.com for $630. Anyone here have any experience with them? It seems too good to be true, so I'm a little weary. I know there is an insurance forum here, but there are no threads about Progressive.