Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• Options
    n7donn7don Member Posts: 188
    The splash guards will reduce but not eliminate rear flare paint chipping. I put on a set of 4 before a summer camping trip. Several campgrounds were accessed via 20+ miles of gravel roads. Still have some minor stone damage. I don't have running boards.
  • Options
    tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    Check back in and let us know if they fixed the problems and improved things. The reprogram made a lot of difference with mine.
  • Options
    aldan93aldan93 Member Posts: 202
    I agree I hate the plastic gray/black cladding!!

But I have added and recommend Husky Mud-flaps custom molded, this helps with splashing of rear door panels and keeps stones from chipping paint, I think they were like $50 bucks on Ebay for a complete set!!! Custom molded, they screw on in 10-15 minutes!!!
  • Options
    cparise1cparise1 Member Posts: 109
    If anyone remembers my last post I was about to take my '02 Envoy XL SLT with 32K on it in for warranty work that included replacing the instrument cluster (grinding/ticking noise coming from the tach). As promised I got the truck back in almost exactly 24 hrs. Instrument cluster was removed, FedEx'ed to an authorized service center and, repaired, and FedEx'ed back to the dealer on Christmas Eve (day after dropping off at dealer).

Grinding/ticking noise gone. Had the passenger mirror motor replaced under a TSB and a new holder for the rear wiper blade (wouldn't return perfectly when at rest) while the truck was waiting for the instrument cluster.

Glad I bought the GM extended warranty but I hope I never have to use it.

Side curtain comment: Not an issue for me. I feel pretty well protected with the side air-bag. I know its not a curtain but if I had a car it wouldn't come with a curtain anyway (most likely not).
    I don't think my interior is chinzty looking either but this is a very subjective topic. My wife thinks the wood grain trim is cheap looking but I really like it. Overall, I think the Envoy dash is very pleasing to the eye. TB and Bravada owners: just MHO. Never looked inside a Durango so can't comment on the interior but two friends that have Chryslers have had more than their share of quality problems including a new tranny in a just out of warranty minivan. Cherokee interior nothing to crow about and aren't they cramped on the inside??

Anyway, I still love this truck and I think my dealer knows what's he doing and kept his promise to get my instrument cluster replaced in 24 hours.

Happy Holidays, Chris
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A 24 hour turn-around is pretty impressive! They deserve some Christmas cookies :-)

Thanks for the update,

Steve, Host
  • Options
    steve_e1steve_e1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm going to buy a 2004 Envoy XUV, 4WD w/ 3.73 and air suspension primarily for towing my 3600 lb boat. Tow distance is 40 to 60 miles, and some hills. My current truck, a 2WD 1500 Sierra w/ 3.73 tows with more than enough power, but I want a smaller vehicle. I'm undecided on the engine and would appreciate some real life towing experiences with the Envoy's. Thank you
  • Options
    ltz2003ltz2003 Member Posts: 24
    I tow 3000 lb trailer with I-6 trailblazer.We went over the VA mountains and had no proublem . I think it pulled better than the 99 GMC X-Cab with a 5.3 i had before i got the TB . Good luck
  • Options
    We use our '03 Envoy w/I-6 & 3.73 axle to tow a Coleman popup weighing ~2800lbs. Include other camping gear in the vehicle and I'd estimate total weight around 3000-3200. Power is more than adequate for towing this combination. Keep in mind max torque is at 3600 rpm. On steeper grades 4000 rpm wasn't uncommon to maintain speed. On a trip from central AZ to Jackson WY and return, averaged ~15 mpg.
  • Options
    seifordseiford Member Posts: 68
    We pull a 2000lb (about 3000lbs with trailer and all gear) with no problem with the I6 (3.73 gears). We hardly know it's back there.
  • Options
    badgurlbadgurl Member Posts: 5
    Thanks so much for your site...i just got a 2002 Trailblazer...i need to know what the stock sound system is in it...didnt get any 411 at all and it is an LS...i dont want to rip the doors off just to see the speakers and size...ect...id like to upgrade it ASAP but i need to know whats in there stock!..it has not had any upgrades or replacements...one owner...thank you so much...would be a nice post ...Xmas present for me..Ive tried dealers...ect...no help!!!
    thank you!!!
  • Options
    Im sorry, in regards to the sound system in my trailblazer post above?? it came with stock cd player..1 disc only..and not the bose system...six? speakers also i believe...thanks again!!!.otherwise i love it!
  • Options
    I'd suggest you visit a site like www.crutchfield.com and enter the info on your vehicle..... better yet call their toll-free number. You may have some issues with mating an aftermarket radio into the vehicle's system, namely factory radios may be matched to the vehicle's VIN. However there are some devices that reportedly allow you to get around this problem. The crutchfield support people should know. There may be others on this board who have actually installed an aftermarket unit and can give some first-hand info.
  • Options
    dwayne2004dwayne2004 Member Posts: 3
    I currently own two Envoy's, a 2002 SLT and recently purchased a 2004 SLT. I can't speak for 2003 owners, but the Bose in my 2002 Envoy is one of the best radios I have heard in a production vehicle. The Bose in my 2004 Envoy however blows! I am not sure if GM changed the default equalization settings or what, but the incredible bass I experience with my 2002 is gone. Anybody else, who has owned a 2004 and prior notice this??? I also have rattles in both front doors, which I cannot locate, and did not have in my 2002. I still love it though!

Dwayne
  • Options
  • Options
    i will check out the crutchfield site...i honestly think that i will just yank out the factory system....which i have no knowledge of..and go patiently...i have a friend who is a great sound master...he had suggested if we knew what stock speakers..we had we could just replace the deck..witn Rock Fosg..and go from there...im just into great surround sound..no big boom sound..just really good clear clean crisp sound!!!
    well just do a look see..i guess..and go that route...i have toyed with it..and adjusted the threb and all but its still isnt anything at all that i am happy with....thank you all for your help..this site was referred to me via surfing the web looking for help...again thanks for your help...and again its just plain ole stock system that came with it!!!was hoping just a new deck coudl do it?? but i heard the distortion tonite..i think ill have to go all the way!!!!!!
    you ppl are so kind...thank you dor you time...!
  • Options
    p.s.....i dont drive as bad as i spell..;]
  • Options
    01_hoe01_hoe Member Posts: 273
    badgurl;
    you can get a complete build of your TB with all accessories, axle ratio, etc. from a GM dealer. Go to their parts dept. with your complete VIN and they can print out how your TB was assembled. The dealer person you spoke to blew you off. Also, in your glove box should be a label with all RPO codes on it telling you what accessories are on it when built.
  • Options
    pepper50pepper50 Member Posts: 195
    How long you guys/gals gonna leave 'em in? I know the manual says 100,000 miles, but that seems kinda long to me. I'd hate to have one "weld" in place and not come out.

Oh, and do people usually go the full 5 years on the Dex-cool coolant?

Thanks.
  • Options
    2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    The 02TB is going in Tuesday to check out the front end noise. I hear it the best when coasting on a bumpy road. feels like something is loose. It almost feels like a bad strut. I had the swaybar links replaced about 3000 miles ago. I only have 9200 miles. the best fuel injection cleaner is Redline synthetics SI-1. You can get it at pepboys.
    Redline SI-1 Injector and Valve Detergent This is a concentrated package of the most powerful high temperature detergents available to clean gasoline fuel injectors and intake valves. SI-1 can clean injectors to nearly 100% efficiency in one treatment. The cleansing effect on injector deposits can raise fuel economy approximately 12% or even greater, depending on the condition of the injectors. SI-1 also contains detergents and a synthetic upper cylinder lubricant, which will help clean the intake valves, pollution control valves, combustion chamber deposits and carburetor's. SI-1 also protects the fuel system from rust. One bottle treats up to 100 gallons. Safe for continuous use.
  • Options
    tmac8tmac8 Member Posts: 32
    Here's another pic of the Euro tail lights. These can be painted to match your factory paint. The outer facia is separate from the lenses so there is no masking needed. Installation takes about ten minutes, with only a phillips screwdriver needed. FYI, I added the fold down step for a receiver cover. It really comes in handy when washing the roof or loading up the luggage rack. image
  • Options
    hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    tmac8:

Where did you get the rear roof spoiler shown in the picture of your black Envoy? Does it act as a deflector to help keep the rear window clean? It sure looks nice!
  • Options
    tmac8tmac8 Member Posts: 32
    Hardhawk,
    Air deflector is made by Lund, p/n 38036. The packing list is at my shop, so until I see it on Monday I couldn't tell you where I got it. Try a search for that part number and see what you find. If I remember correctly, I paid about $60.00 for it. As far as performance, it eliminates about 85-90% of the rain mist you normally get when driving. I was hoping it would deflect all of the rain spray, but am happy with the results it gives me. Hope this helps. Tom
  • Options
    sildogsildog Member Posts: 50
    Count me as another who will never buy another GM. After letting the dealer pay for thousands of dollars worth of repairs, I am now out of warranty and have begun to pay for repairs myself. Just had to get new tires and found that tie rod end was shot, so I had to pay them to fix it. Of course, in the process of finding the part, they told me they were redesigned and they had to have the car in their possesion to see which one it had. Two days in the shop. The redesign was a larger diameter-gee I wonder why!
  • Options
    Just another example of GM's commitment to continuously upgrade and improve their products during their life-cycle!
  • Options
    ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    "Just another example of GM's commitment to continuously upgrade and improve their products during their life-cycle! "
     How else could someone be so generous. Come on Ed, why can't you admit that G.M. has done poorly on the design of these triplets. Any good company can repair a defective design. A great company will not let a defective design out of the door in the first place. If G.M. knows the part is undersized, they should replace all of them at no cost to the consumer. Then they will go from Good Motors to Great Motors..

Happy Holidays

Frank
  • Options
    medolarkmedolark Member Posts: 93
    When was the size increased (build date)?
  • Options
    I figured that would stir "ficuss" out of the woodwork!

No manufacturer of anything I know of, is 100% perfect every time. They all monitor what is failing in their products during warranty by reviewing claims and parts usage, and usually make running changes or improvements to the curent production and replacement parts. Whether it's GM, Ford, Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, Honda or whatever, this is a normal process. Read your warranty. Every one, regardless of type of product, will state something similar to "We reserve the right to make changes without incurring any obligation to make the same or similar change to previous products". If you don't agree to those terms of warranty, then don't buy the product. LOL finding a car manufacturer that will give you free upgrades and production changes for the life of the vehicle.
  • Options
    Too bad about the tie rod end fix out of warranty.

Anyone have any stat's on the average repair costs for the triplets? Might be too new for there to be any. Would be interesting to see a comparo with other SUV's for repair costs and normal maintenance.

I don't think knowing that one SUV might cost more to maintain or repair would sway me from purchasing.

Chris
  • Options
    kgbkahnkkgbkahnk Member Posts: 89
    "I had the swaybar links replaced about 3000 miles ago. I only have 9200 miles."

I've got a question about this...What was the trigger that let you know you needed the swaybar links replaced at roughly 6200 miles?
  • Options
    kpp14kpp14 Member Posts: 62
    My truck has (67,000 km) 41,613 miles and I have had no problem getting “stuff” fixed or replaced (some things questionable at best) even after the warranty has expired. Like the rear window defrost cables scratched and not working or the passenger seat belt ratchet. They replaced the trany cause sometimes it would miss a downshift gear. How would you like a free oil change and a wash with that sir. The point being is that the decision to fix or not to fix is often made at the service manager level and he works for GM. His decision can be subjective. If you walk into the dealer and slam you fist down on the table, I guess you deserve what you don’t get.

My 2 cents
  • Options
    scottc454scottc454 Member Posts: 356
    No manufacturer of anything I know of, is 100% perfect every time

Of course not, but with the triplets, I wish they
    could have gotten above 50%. I had a tie rod end replaced also - out of warranty. Now my 4WD switch isn't working again. I had it fixed twice already under warranty, now I have to pay. I am proving that an extended warranty was the way to go.
  • Options
    "4WD switch isn't working again. I had it fixed twice already under warranty, now I have to pay."

If they attempted to repair it twice while in warranty and it's failed again why would you have to pay for it? They obviously didn't fix it right the first two attempts. I'd be raising he­ck about that.

I will give GM a 95% on my '02 TB, getting it right. Little things... a couple of recalls, updates to the computer, but so far no replaced parts. Coming up 2 years Jan 16. Really fewer problems than I expected on a new design less than a year into production when I bought it.
  • Options
    scottc454scottc454 Member Posts: 356

if they attempted to repair it twice while in warranty and it's failed again why would you have to pay for it? They obviously didn't fix it right the first two attempts. I'd be raising he­ck about that.

Yes, I'll see what I can do. The first fix lasted a month or 2. Now it's been 2 years since the second fix. I can't really expect them to take pride in their work and take responsibility for this. After all, it lasted 2 years, and I probably
    switched it from 2WD as much as 40 times!

I heard that they redesigned this switch or something. My guess is that the dealership didn't give me one of the new ones when they last fixed it.
  • Options
    On my way to work I have to take a long circular off ramp and that is when I would hear the noise up front and it did not handle well. If your links were bad, you would feel it or hear the rattles. This time I don't think it is the links because it started soon after I had them replaced nad the noise happens on bumpy roads. I will know tomorrow. Hey, maybe it is a tierod. will advise
  • Options
    I've commented on how fair my dealer has been before. From what I've experienced, if you buy at the dealer where you get your service, spend your money there on regular oil changes and tuneups, the service guys will come through for you from time to time.

One could argue that you can get your oil changed for less than the dealer charges or save $$ else where for service, but I don't think this pays dividends in the long run. Most dealers want to have good relationships with their customers, it only makes business sense.

Chris
  • Options
    I found the rear window spoiler for $68 and free shipping. It looks a little different than the one shown here http://www.ultimatetruck.com/site/catalog/product.aspx?catid=223
  • Options
    meyervillameyervilla Member Posts: 40
    My wife and I loved this vehicle. It's an ideal SUV but it has major reliability problems as the many posts on this BB will attest to. The dealer spent thousands to make in-warranty repairs. We traded the Envoy before it went off warranty. We don't like our new vehicle as much as we liked the Envoy but it should be much more reliable. GM hit a home run in design with the Envoy - too bad reliability is so poor. If the reliabiliy was better we'd still choose to own own an Envoy. We just can't afford the downtime.
  • Options
    Check out this site, it seems credible enough and backs up its data with end notes/footnotes.
    http://www.suv.org/economic.html
    Chris
  • Options
    ross1962_99ross1962_99 Member Posts: 48
    Good wine is expensive, can make you fat and cause health problems, but I'm not about to stop consuming that luxury either.
    Luxuries cost. That's nothing new. Apparently it's becoming "PC" among the liberals of this country to decide for us which luxuries we may indulge in.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I don't like SUVs, why do you? is recommended for the luxury thread.

If you want another repair costs source besides FOE, may I suggest the Edmunds Maintenance Guide.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    I have no problem indulging myself.

Chris
  • Options
    Okay, so I have a little free time on my hands this week and I am thoroughly enjoying the holiday with minimal work in between.

So I checked the Edmunds Maintenance Guide and did a little comparo of my own between the the '02 Envoy XL SLT 4 WD and the '02 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer loaded mamma. If TSB's are an indication of quality, the Ford has 207 and the Envoy has 33. Can someone else confirm or set me straight especially if a TSB is something that belongs in the + column?

Chris
  • Options
    ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    I think you've been listening to the drug addict too long. I generally vote Democratic and still manage to drive a (SUV) Triplet, so please don't lump all left leaning drivers together.

Frank
  • Options
    ylabylab Member Posts: 46
    Actually TSBs are Technical Service Bulletins that auto makers put out with repair instructions for specific problems/procedures or how to diagnose certain problems. I'm not saying the triplets are trouble free, but you'd be surprised just how many problems Ford has with the redesigned Exploder. My brother just happens to be a Ford Master-Tech and is especially busy the past two years rebuilding those supposedly 'sealed' trannys. They're sealed with not even a dipstick tube, which works great until the tranny leaks internally or at the converter.....and then promptly self destructs from lack of fluid! - Just one feature found in the Ford over my Envoy.

Back when I bought my '02 Envoy SLT, my brother actually told me "You don't want a 2002 Explorer". And I could have purchased one using his Blue Oval points at below dealer invoice before rebates and such.

Ray
  • Options
    solly51solly51 Member Posts: 4
    Is anybody experiencing a boom or low frequency vibration in the passenger compartment (with the vehicle in Drive)at or near idle? The noise creates pressure in the ear.

My dealer is saying it is a known problem that GM does not have a solution for.
  • Options
    huskeymanhuskeyman Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone experience a problem with the "Check oil level" warning in the DIC? I have and envoy slt '02. I notify the dealer before the oil change. The service tech said that after the oil change this warning should go away. It has not. The day after the oil change, I started the SUV and the same warning came up. The oil level is fine. Is there a sensor that goes bad over time? Would appreciate any suggestion or comments.
  • Options
    rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    Is it just me, or when a GM vehicle has a problem, the dealer always lies to the consumer?? Is that cost-cutting or what??
  • Options
    "Is anybody experiencing a boom or low frequency vibration in the passenger compartment (with the vehicle in Drive)at or near idle?"

Yes mine does that. Been doing that since new and after having it reprogrammed. Doesn't cause enough low frequency noise to hurt my ears, but it does cause the steering wheel to vibrate-resonate. Definitely related to a specific idle speed. Seems to me the idle speed needs to be bumped up 20-30 rpm to get it above that resonant frequency.
  • Options
    One of the things I like about this column is all the inside info. Tips from a Ford Master-Tech are hard to ignore. Got a laugh out of "Exploder"-I nearly had a Ford go atomic on me but a gas station attendant (remember those) came over with a fire extinguisher and put out the flames.

Chris