Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• Options
    baltychenbaltychen Member Posts: 50
    Thank you for your help. I'll make sure either it is coming from the hood or inside the car.
    Thanks again.
  • Options
    69ponycar69ponycar Member Posts: 2
    I've had my envoy since November and have noticed a couple things that I have not seen discussed much here and was wondering if anyone has the same problems/fixes. It seems to buffet/rock a lot while driving at highway speeds even with little to no crosswind. Also, it feels like a lot of wind is getting caught somewhere underneath. I can feel slight wind gusts actually slowing the truck down. I used to own a full size blazer so I am used to SUV aerodynamics but this is annoying me. It is a lot of work to just keep it going straight without drifting or jerking around the lane. I really don't think it is front end related. I look at the truck and it seems pretty streamlined but it sure doesn't drive like it. Thanks
  • Options
    rollinsrollins Member Posts: 1
    This may be similar to a problem I've been discussing with my local dealer. After a year of complaining about my 2003 Envoy's exterior temp reading they drop this on me. They tell me that the Envoy has a "feature" which allows the exterior gauge to not reset until the vehicle has exceeded 35 mph for a minimum of one minute. I can drive in my city for a week without reaching this goal. This sounds like a flaw not a feature.
  • Options
    jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    Guess it's time to move.. ;o)

Seriously though. It is a feature. My 2003 TB and my 2004 Malibu both do this. Reading a bit over on the Bu' forum, I've heard that this is to prevent misreads caused by engine compartment heating. Supposedly getting the vehicle up to speed allows the airflow to blow the warmer air out of the front of the vehicle and away from the outside temperature sensor.
  • Options
    cbwilshacbwilsha Member Posts: 70
    Actually, the programming for the temperature sensor is as follows:

At start up and the car has been parked for more than 2 hours, the display should read real time temp when started.

At start up and the car has been parked less than 2 hours, the display should read the last stored temp.

After starting and the coolant temp is less than 28 degrees centigrade or 50 degrees fahrenheit above the ambient air temp, real time temp should display.

When driving away, and the vehicle speed is above 20 mph for a minimum of 80 seconds, the real time temp should display.

If the vehicle speed is above 45 mph, the real time temp should display.

If the sensor reading is less than the last displayed value, the real time temp should display.

Greetings to all, this is my first post. Just found this forum recently although I've had my 2003 Envoy for a year now. Am extremely pleased with it and have had only one problem--bad A/C cycling switch when I drove it away and went out again about a month ago. Both times fixed immediately.

C.B.
  • Options
    twinrottstwinrotts Member Posts: 161
    Mcaffe1 - We are experiencing the exact symptoms.
    As I read post 14582 it is clear to me that my temp guage should be reading the real temp or at least the last stored temp which has not been 50.
    Not sure when I'll get to the dealer as it is not yet enough of an issue for me. I will get it fixed b4 the warrantee expires.
    Mcafee1 - If you get yours looked at first, please post the problem and fix
  • Options
    ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    I wonder if the outside air temp reading is used for any other function in the tripletts?. Is this reading used to set any fuel mixture ratio or other performance function? Is it used to determine if the air cond. should be on or not when you set the inside temp? Can this be the cause of other sporatic problems. If so, it is very important to make sure the reading is accurate all the time.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A newspaper reporter is looking to interview people who recently bought a vehicle and considered its fuel economy as a major factor - or chose to ignore its fuel economy and bought it anyway. Please respond to pkrebs@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info and a line about your purchase decision no later than 5pm Pacific on Friday, May 21, 2004.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    cbwilshacbwilsha Member Posts: 70
    I have been reading older messages lately to look at what went on on this forum before I joined it recently and ran across the following URL for checking TSB's on your vehicle.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/tsbsearch.cfm

There are currently (as of today May 21, 2004) 100 TSB's on my 2003 Envoy although only one rang a bell for me and that was the A/C cycling switch problem. If you see one that you would like more info on, there is a way to get it but it looks like a fee for the service. I did not check this out.

When you go to the URL, you can select your vehicle, year, mfg., model, etc.

C.B.
  • Options
    ross1962ross1962 Member Posts: 229
    "If the vehicle speed is above 45 mph, the real time temp should display."

Upon re-entering the atmosphere, I notice that the temperature gauge will not read beyond 999 degrees F! I mean really, how much more could it cost to add another digit to the temp display? Also, I noticed that the paint peels off rapidly when I do this. More poor workmanship! I would think that for $30K GM would at least install ablative heat tiles on my TB!
  • Options
    wrighteowrighteo Member Posts: 2
    Good luck on getting this fixed. We just had our 03 Envoy in for the 5th time and now they say it's the way is suppose to be and gave us the info about the 2 hours etc. We do not find this acceptable. We have had 4 other vehicles in the past with this feature and never had this problem. As for going over 20 for 80 seconds, I've been on the freeway going 60+ and it's still reading wrong. It really messes with the air conditioning & climate control. Yesterday when it was 70+ outside my temp reading was 61 for over 1/2 hour and couldn't get cold air out of the vents.
    We are ready to pursue lemon law.
  • Options
    tmarkb2tmarkb2 Member Posts: 37
    69ponycar - "Unsafe at Highway Speeds?"

Valid observation on the Envoy's handling. Check my comments and suggestions at posting #14099.

BTW, Bilstein recently came out with HD struts and shocks specifically for the lower, stiffer springs now available. Let me know if anyone wants the part #s.
  • Options
    I just had my Envoy in for a problem with the A/C. I'm noticing a very slight stumble or surge at mid-range (1500 to 2500 RPMs at 35 to 50 PMH) with the A/C on. At highway speeds, the engine feels as though it's laboring. It's hardly noticable but annoying and stops when I turn off the A/C.

The dealer checked the freon, searched for any PCM codes and did a software upgrade but found nothing specifically wrong with the A/C. I did have the cycling switch replaced last summer after the A/C failed all together.

Anyone else noticing this problem and/or know of a fix?
  • Options
    mfullmermfullmer Member Posts: 773
    I haven't been able to read all of the messages. I was an original owner of a 2002 Bravada (Built 4/01) and I gave it up just before it's 2nd birthday.

I got an '03 Tahoe and now am thinking of downsizing because of fuel costs. I have seen very few posts from Rainier owners. I'm thinking of getting a Rainier.

How is REAL TIME average gas mileage with the V6?
    Have the numerous issues with the '02s been pretty much remedied?
    If you HAVE a Rainier, how do you like it?

Ok one stupid thing I noticed. You CAN'T get the rainsense wipers on the Rainier. What????
  • Options
    discofeverdiscofever Member Posts: 34
    69ponycar,

Our envoy felt the same way as you describe staying in the lane. I noticed it more challenging when driving in the back country, driving around the bends... My wife and kids were constantly badgering me to slow it down because they were getting sea sick, but I was at or below speed limit!

So I did a little research and changed out the OEM bilstein shocks and replaced them with NEW aftermarket Bistein's and the problem has ceased. I can now stay in my lane with little to no effort, and as for the back country, no more sea sick kids... I just have slow it down now... I hope this helps...
  • Options
    How is REAL TIME average gas mileage with the V6?

The Rainier has a V8, not a V6.
    Personally, I'd go for the V8 on this because the Buick is a bit heavier due to all the insulation.
  • Options
    quickdtooquickdtoo Member Posts: 266
    There is virtually no difference in curb weigh between the rainier(4628 AWD) and tb(4612 4x4). The I6 would be a good choice with a 0-60 time of 8.2 compared to 7.5 for the V8 model if you're interested in good performance but still want better economy.
  • Options
    The Rainier comes with a V6 standard. The V8 is only optional and I've only seen about 1/2 with them. The power increase is really small and the V6 has plenty for me. Their weights and mileage (EPA) are the same.

In any case, I picked one up yesterday on a 24 hr drive and I can already say that it feels much better than my Bravada. What is GM thinking about the Nav system though? If you want to play a CD you have to take the Nav DVD out and then you can't play a CD and get Nav at the same time. DUMB! And the actual Nav system looks and operates exactly like my Lexus except that it doesn't have a touch screen and you have to enter things from a joystick.
  • Options
    01_hoe01_hoe Member Posts: 273
    Thought the standard engine in the Rainier was the I-6 like the TrailBlazer and Envoy. When did they start using the V-6? Have you looked under the hood on this test vehicle?
  • Options
    quickdtooquickdtoo Member Posts: 266
    The standard engine in the Rainier is the same Vortec 4200 "I6"( inline 6) that is in the TB/Envoy clones.
  • Options
    scottc454scottc454 Member Posts: 356
    What is GM thinking about the Nav system though? If you want to play a CD you have to take the Nav DVD out and then you can't play a CD and get Nav at the same time.

Maybe they realize nav systems are 99% worthless.
    Hey, I'm a gadget freak as much as the next guy, but most of the time you're going to work or someplace else you're familiar with. I'd recommend a handheld GPS for the 1% when you're on a road trip. Don't those nav systems cost like 2 grand?
    Sounds to me like fuel costs aren't the issue here.
  • Options
    Yes, I meant Inline 6 not V.
  • Options
    The "Sun & Satellite Package" is $2,2xx and includes the moonroof, XM and Navigation. It's very hard, in the Atlanta area anyway, to find one without that package.

I have the Nav on my Lexus and love it. It works out great when you are going to restaurant in an area of town you are not familiar with and very good at getting you back home.
  • Options
    Now that we've got that straightened out, my Trailblazer with the I6 gets about 20-21 mpg highway which is mostly what I drive. It got about 19 on a 600 mile trip once with a Yakima Rocket Box on the roof racks and loaded down with luggage.
    I'd say that's pretty good unless you want to wait for a GM hybrid.
  • Options
    Thanks. I decided not to buy the Rainier. On my 24 hr. test drive I noticed a few of the same things that were wrong with my '02 Bravada. I just don't think I can support GM anymore. Once my Tahoe lease is up I'm going to stick with Lexus or a Toyota product. I still don't understand what Buick was thinking not offering rainsense wipers on the Rainier when you can get it on the other makes offerings!
  • Options
    I'm going to stick with Lexus or a Toyota product.

Huge price difference. You'll pay way below invoice on a GM product too. Basically, you can buy (2) Rainiers for what you'll pay for a Lexus LX470.

So, yeah! The Lexus does have rain sence wipers! It should for $65K!
  • Options
    iceman52iceman52 Member Posts: 2
    I want thank all the people who posted messages on this board about the triplets. Before our Envoy was purchased last August, I went through about 2,000 of them, evaluating the vehicles.

Obviously the bad messages did not stop us from buying an Envoy! (Being able to knock the price down from $44,400 Canadian to $35,000 Canadian - about $25,000 US- didn't hurt the decision, either)!

Our 2003 Envoy has been trouble free for 14,000 km (about 8,700 miles) except for wind noise and minor problems with the CD player/tape deck.

The wind noise has been greatly reduced by our eager to please dealer's service department, although not totally eliminated. I plan to try some of the "home made" fixes described elsewhere in this forum. The CD player problem (would not eject a CD) has been noted by our dealer, but has not re-occurred so I have not pushed for anything to be done yet.

We are pretty happy with the Envoy, although we probably will turn the vehicle in at the end of the lease and lease another one. After warranty repairs look to break anyone's pocket!

Best mileage so far has been 10 litres/100 km (23 mpg), but that was taking the speed pretty easy- about 60 mph.

Love the power, ride and looks. Hate the cheap looking dash plastic. Miss the cup holders and console area of my '96 Chev Blazer...

By the way, I'm from Calgary, Alberta, Canada, so I have to say;

GO FLAMES GO!

No team from Florida should ever win the Stanley Cup!

Happy motoring all!
  • Options
    Rainier and LX470? Not even close. I have no need for the Tahoe and I traded my '01 STS for a Lexus RX330. The RX330 (Which is QUITE comparable to the Rainier when parked side-by-side) was MSRP only 2k more than the Rainier and I didn't pay anywhere near MSRP.

You can get the Rainsense wipers on everything from the $30k ES330 on up to the LX470. There is NO defense for Buick opting not to make it available on the Rainier when it is on the other brands.
  • Options
    I'm going to stick with Lexus or a Toyota product.

Huge price difference. You'll pay way below invoice on a GM product too. Basically, you can buy (2) Rainiers for what you'll pay for a Lexus LX470.

So, yeah! The Lexus does have rain sence wipers! It should for $65K!
  • Options
    The RX330 (Which is QUITE comparable to the Rainier when parked side-by-side)

I would disagree. The RX is really a car. (Very nice vehicle though.) The Buick is built on a truck chassis and will tow a good sized boat, is rear, or AWD and is available with a V8. The RX is a natively front drive vehicle with AWD as an option.
    Hardly compairable at all unless you're talking about features like what sort of windshield wipers and leather seats you can get.

Can't get a V8 with the RX either.
  • Options
    I'm talking about my usage. I've never towed anything with my SUVs and am not concerned about having a "truck chassis".

What I'm saying about that comparison is, simply, anyone looking at a Rainier is most likely looking for a luxury SUV. The RX is a luxury SUV.

Now if you would have compared a Tahoe to the LX470, I wouldn't have said a word. (Although the Escalade is more of a comparison to the LX.)
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Florida Everblades almost won the Kelly Cup, but the Idaho Steelheads stomped them :-).

Pretty good mpg (kpl?). What's gas running up there?

"GM's current program, for example, includes $1,000 cash back plus zero percent financing on loans of up to five years on models such as the Chevrolet TrailBlazer and GMC Envoy."

Gas prices not hurting U.S. auto sales (Redlands Daily Facts)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    tripicchiotripicchio Member Posts: 10
    Has anyone noticed a "loose" driver's side seat back? By this I mean you can lean backwards and the seat-back seems to actually move about a quarter of an inch of so. The passenger seat is rock-solid, you can lean lack and forth with great force and it never moves. Has anyone else had this problem, if so, is there a bulletin?
  • Options
    My Envoy has the rain sense wipers. I could care less that they are on the vehicle. If you forget to turn them off in a car wash, the wipers could be damaged.

I get put off because GM will not offer the V8 engine in the standard wheel base Envoy or TB.
  • Options
    hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    The V8 will be available in the new SWB Envoy Denali, which is coming for 2005 model year.
  • Options
    bradrx7bradrx7 Member Posts: 29
    tmarkb,

I'd like those Bilstein part numbers, please. Also, "lower, stiffer springs"? Any info on those?

Even though my V8 TB EXt is for towing my track car, I'd like to wack it down a couple of inches.
  • Options
    wrighteowrighteo Member Posts: 2
    Since GM is stating this is "the way it is" regarding the outside air temp. not reading correctly, interfering with the A/C, having to reset if not driven within 2 hours, etc. I'd like to hear from people that don't have this problem. I can't believe this is a normal thing.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    allenrallenr Member Posts: 89
    Sound like a bad outside sensor, did the dealer replace it? I had an outside sensor go bad in my 99 Buick, it would read 50 degrees all the time. Replaced it myself, eight dollar part from gmpartsdirect.
    As in the previous post my temp sensor acts like it should per the programming logic. There was an old post way back had the program logic of the automatic climate control, I’ll see if I can find it.
    There are three or four sensors inside the truck that tells the computer what to do, one of those could have gone bad.
    No mater what my outside temp reads, the inside controls work fine keeping the temp at what I set it to.

Allen
  • Options
    previousamigopreviousamigo Member Posts: 130
    I'm guessing all the AC problems posted here are with the auto temp. A/C's. I have no problems with my manual A/C on my 2002 TB LS. Let me know if there are the same outside temp readings/problems for the manual A/C systems on the low end A/C's.
  • Options
    I saw that somewhere. But it will be an all wheel drive unit. With Denali pkg will probably MSRP for $45K+.
  • Options
    bradrx7,

The Bilstein numbers are:
    Front - BE5-A333-HO
    Rear - BE5-A335-HO

The springs I put on my Envoy are made by Eibach. I got them from TireRack and they are FANTASTIC! I couldn't believe how much of an improvement they made in the handling. I also put on a Hotchkis rear sway bar and solid bushings on both ends. To round out the package, I went with BFG Comp T/A HR4s. More of a street, performance tire but rated all-season and worked great this past winter even with 2WD.

Go with this set-up and you will not believe how much better these GMs can be. Who needs a Porsche Cayenne?!
  • Options
    m2icemanm2iceman Member Posts: 27
    I have read some postings concerning this issue, but I need some more info.

I had the problem of the shift not coming out of "Park" Looked in the forums for some answers and looked for the common fixes. No Luck, wires are all in, wasn't torque lock. No matter what I did, wouldn't come out of "Park. Had the recall work done a year ago, so I couldn't use the orange button fix.

Took the TB to the dealer and one of the mechanics says its a solenoid that needs replacing and could cost $350 or so. DAMN! Anyway, anyone have the problem or know someone who has had this problem and had it fixed? I was hoping someone had the answer before I had to drop $400 if it doesnt need to happen. The mechanic stated, without really knowing, that the whole shifter assembly had to be replaced to fix the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • Options
    bradrx7bradrx7 Member Posts: 29
    Thanks, tmarkb2. I'd just like to drop my truck an inch or two and keep the sway in control. I already run the Hotchkiss stuff. My truck is used to tow my track car all over the place. Happy holidays everyone.
  • Options
    jn1957jn1957 Member Posts: 2
    Has anybody had this problem, I have a 04 Trailblazer I6 with 3.42 gears. It has 3600 miles on it and the best mileage so far was 13.1 MPG. It usually is 12.5 MPG, around sixty percent is local. The dealer said it takes a couple thousand miles to break in, and to call them back if it doesn't get any better after 5000 miles? I think the dealer is giving me the run around.
  • Options
    n7donn7don Member Posts: 188
    Not much "break-in" required on modern vehicles. Our '03 I6 Envoy averages around 19 with 3.73 gears. With 13,500 miles there's not been a noticeable change in fuel economy since new.
    Is the mileage you are reporting from the driver's info center or actual tank fills? Generally our DIC numbers will be within a couple tenths but I've heard reports of less accurate results.
    Of course fuel economy is highly dependent on how and where you drive. Make sure the emergency brake is fully releasing, tires are right pressure.... and no one is stealing your gas! Keep records of how & where you drive and maybe try another dealer.
  • Options
    carm11carm11 Member Posts: 13
    i have been looking at the envoy this past weekend, love the look espically, and will test drive one shortly, the delima is i have an 02 crv ex, great on gas and reliable, but this vechile is just not me, i see about 80% of women driving these car like suv's, iam just looking for some input on current ownership of the envoy, these look great in black or white. thanks
  • Options
    I really like my '03 Envoy. Have no experience with the crv. Envoy is on a truck frame, will tow well, but fuel economy is not the greatest. Engines do use regular fuel though. I'm pleased with the white color, but to each his own. I also have an older Toyota Camry in black. The white is somewhat easier to keep clean, the black is awesome for me for about 15 min. till it gets dusty as dust shows a little more on the black.

• Options
    iceman52iceman52 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Steve

Gas in Calgary is about $2.40 US per US gallon (88 cents per litre Canadian).

I don't know if the break in of the engine had anything to do with the good gas mileage- our salesman is a former mechanic, and he gave us a different break-in method.

He said to find a deserted country road, drop the shifter down to second, and gradually bring the RPM's up to about 6,000 or 6,500 and then let it off. He said to do this about 8-10 times, and then just drive normally for the rest of the break-in period.

I did as he asked, and the engine in my Envoy just purrs, gets good gas mileage, but has wonderful acceleration.

Go Flames Go!

Two more wins and the cup is back where it belongs- the frozen north!!

Cheers

David
  • Options
    kingdokingdo Member Posts: 3
     We have a 2003 5.3 V8 Trailblazer. Has anyone experienced a hesitation ( feels like a misfire) under light acceleration. We notice it at around 1500rpm up to 2000 rpm. Its been in to the dealer 5 times and no error is found. There is something wrong, any thoughts or insights would be great.
  • Options
    kingdokingdo Member Posts: 3
    Any suggestions on an after market DVD player for the kids? Pro's and con's of roof mounted versus headrest? My trailblazer has the sun roof.