Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• Options
    gmcmangmcman Member Posts: 30
    I would like to improve the squashy ride also but I don't want to lose the ride height. The hotchkis is on the list but as far as springs go what is available in progressive rate that retains stock ride height?
  • Options
    On the '04 models you need I believe he bose system and the digital voice recorder, I'm not sure on the bose option though. My buddy at my local dealership is checking on this for me also, so far he said you need the computer from the '04 models. As soon as he updates me on this I will post his reply.
  • Options
    I have been reading alot about vibration problems with the TB, my question is what tires do you have? I have the envoy with the cross terrains and a friend has the same thing, both are smoooooth as silk at almost any speed. It is not your chassis and probably your tires. What model TB do you have? I would have the dealer mount a set of brand new 17" envoy wheels with the michelins and take it for a spin, might be hard to convince them but lay into them and they might.
  • Options
    raleighraleigh Member Posts: 98
    Has anyone installed an aftermarket exhaust on their triplets? If so, what kind, and what was the result? Any noticeable increase in power?
  • Options
    leitleit Member Posts: 3
    Hi! I'm new to this and this is my first time sending a message. I also own a 2002 Trailblazer LT and have the same prolems with my start up racing and the hesitation in shifting....it makes me crazy and has been to the service department more times than I care to remember!!! It's been re-programmed, and I've also been told that this is normal and to let it race and it will stop within a minute. Sometimes yes, sometimes no........but it still takes off like an airplane with the noise of a helicopter and the delay of shifting gears! Most often, it won't duplicate at the service department and they can't do a thing about it. I am also having continuous problems with the a/c.......hot air, cold air, cool air, warm air.....never consistently cold like I want it. They've replaced the pressure recycling switch at least 6 times and have re-programed the unit...who knows. Well, today, I phoned the chevy customer assistant 1-800-222-1020. They have put together a history of my vehicle and have contacted the local dealership. They want the dealership to correct the problems (hahahaha)and if needed to contact them. I've been given a case #. We'll see what happens. I don't know if they have any cure for these problems.......it's a GREAT driving vehicle, but a headache with minor repairs!!!! EVERYONE WITH ANY PROBLEM NEEDS TO PHONE 1-800-222-1020 TODAY, DON'T WAIT, GET A CASE # AND LET THEM KNOW THEY MUST HAVE SOME RECALLS & CORRECT THE PROBLEMS IMMEDIATELY!!!!
  • Options
    01_hoe01_hoe Member Posts: 273
    I have the Borla cat back system on my '03 Envoy.
    Noticed some increase in performance. Also got a lot of droning in the cabin at 1500 to 2000 RPM. Considered removing the exhaust system, but went with 180 sq. ft. of sound deadener on floor and in doors. This removed a lot of the droning and most all road noise.
  • Options
    Tmarkb2 - I am doing the same thing to my new Envoy. Just got the Bilsteins, Eibachs and Hotchkis and hope to have them installed next week. Question: since all this new stuff lowers the vehicle about 2 inches, I would assume that an alignment is also required. Is that your take? I will also let everyone know how I like the setup.
  • Options
    cebtebcebteb Member Posts: 138
    I haven't posted for some time because my Bravada (10/02, 13,000 miles) has been a great new truck. However, a month ago I had the no A/C problem (just pumped hot air for 5 minutes, then returned to normal). I had it last summer and they replaced a switch per the TSB, but didn't re program as I requested. Problem back and the dealer diagnoses an open circuit on the switch. Still doesn't re program to the update for temperature set point control. Well it has been cool and rainy since, so I haven't been able to challenge the fix.

Last year I complained about occasional "Crow Hop" when turning while backing up out of my drive way. Dealer could not duplicate. Well now it has Crow Hop anytime it turns at low speed forward or backward. Called the Dealer to make a service appointment. I'm told, " that's the way AWD acts". Since it didn't act that way when new and since I've known about the Crow Hop problem and TSB from reading this forum, I inform him that isn't acceptable. Bravada goes in Monday for the Crow Hop problem and I'll show them the TSB number. I'll post the results of my adventure.

The Bravada is a great SUV. If GM could just provide good, permanent fixes, and no BS at their service departments, this could be a very positive ownership experience. Unfortunately, I think the bean-counters are in charge and the marketing folks are just being told to shut-up and sell some more vehicles. Counter-productive management!
  • Options
    tmarkb2tmarkb2 Member Posts: 37
    raleigh,
    We checked the alignment before and after installing the springs. The increase in toe-out was negligible but I did pick up 1/2 degree of negative camber. This is good for handling but I am noticing a little more tire wear on the outside shoulder. Even if I could (it's not adjustable on the TBs/Envoys) I wouldn't dial out the negative camber as I'm sure it's part of the improvement in handling. I do an oil change and tire rotation every 5,000 miles to I'm not too worried about the tire wear. Speaking of tires, I hope you're also replacing those nasty Michelins!

All,
    RE: questions about the lowered ride height, that was my first goal in installing the Eibachs. I wanted to lower the Envoy's roll axis for better and safer handling. For the most part, winters where I live are pretty mild and I don't do any off-roading so ground clearance isn't on my worry list. With 3 bikes and all the camping gear in the back, I notice a VERY slight drop in the rear but there are no negative effects on ride or handling.

Hope all this helps.
  • Options
    mookie14mookie14 Member Posts: 252
    Now you say you got alot loud sound after you put the borla system on. Is there a another exhaust system that does not have that sound problem. The reason i am asking this is that i do not have the slightest clue of removing a sound from my 03 tblazer that is so im wondering if it is a good idea to use borla in my tblazer. Now as far as installing it was there a problem with back pressure and computer problems catalytic converter problems when you installed it or had it installed etc let me know trailblazer owners also thanks.
  • Options
    Loud to me might not be loud to someone else. It is what some people will accept, others won't. To me I did not like the droning at 1500 to 2000 RPM's, say 35 to 45MPH in high gear. The back factory muffler/resonator is on there for a reason. The Borla is a complete stainless system made very well with a cat back muffler and two resonators just before the exhaust exits at the back. Other than the droning, the tone is very mellow. I just chose to add soundproofing to the floor and doors to get the droning reduced.
    I had a local muffler shop install it. Took them 1 hour from start to finish. The shop commented that the kit was well made and fit together as it should. No problems after the install, the kit still maintains backpressure for the engine to operate properly. The system is installed after the cat, so no issues here either.
    As I said before, removing the rear factory resonator is going to result in a louder exhaust sound inside the cabin. I don't know about other exhaust systems, as no others were available that offered a cat back dual system at the time, and that was what I wanted.
  • Options
    Tmarkb2 - "Replace those nasty Michelins?" From everything I've heard, the Cross Terrains are very good all-around tires. What don't you like about them ... and what did you replace them with? I'm reluctant to toss 5 brand new Michelins.
  • Options
    cameokidcameokid Member Posts: 31
    I have had my '03 TB in pretty deep sand at the north end of the Outer Banks of NC and it performed great. Didn't venture up any dunes, but some of the ruts were pretty deep and just used 4H with no problem - didn't even have to let any air out of the tires.
  • Options
    tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    Went to www.acdelcotechconnect.com, unless I am missing something looks to me like that's for sevicing dealers and shops that can justify the high dollar subscription fee- $1200/year, $20 for 1 day, $45 for 5 days, $150 for one month.

Regarding the Borla, have had mine about a year. Either it got quieter as the miles added up, or I have become used to it. Some of the "drone" of course is still there in "D" doing 35-45 mph, engine under load, 1200-1800 rpm, if it bothers me, I just pull it down into "3" 3rd gear to get the rpm up.
  • Options
    bobfishbobfish Member Posts: 48
    I also ordered the Hotchkis swaybar and Eibach`s thanks to Tmarkb2 sugestions(thankyou Tmarkb2)but holding out on the new Bilsteins for now.I want to test drive it to decide if I want to go with the upgraded shocks.Happy Fourth of July to all.
  • Options
    So would you both say without a shadow of a doubt with me getting the borla on my trailbalzer is a good thing as opposed to the factory thats on now?? Lastly what do you both think of air intake and who makes the best one should i get one one on my tblazer. Will i have a problem with chips, computer etc. Thanks for all the info you given thus far i do appreciate all of it i have NEVER chaged things on a auto since becoming a driver. So thats why im asking alot of questions just to let you guys know that. Not that im duh duh duh but its better to be safe than sorry thanks.
  • Options
    twinrottstwinrotts Member Posts: 161
    Changing out the temp sensor under the hood seems to have cured my problem with the bad readings. It has been working without failure for the last 10 days.
    The TSB for the poor 1-2 shift was listed as part number 12579259.
    Fix entails a reflash of the TCM (Transmission Control Module)
  • Options
    polespoles Member Posts: 23
    i might be going on the sand dunes in silver lake michigan this summer. i wasn't sure if it was a smart choice or not, but i think im going to now.
    if i do, i will tell you thanks again
  • Options
    tmarkb2tmarkb2 Member Posts: 37
    They're tire swing material as far as I'm concerned. I understand they make great door mats too (after being recycled of course).

Seriously, I didn't like the "lug" shoulder and the sidewall deflection was terrible. I replaced them with BFG Comp T/A HR4s, size 255/60R-17. The overall diameter was off by roughly 1/8 of an inch so the speedo is still spot on. More of a street performance tire with a stiffer sidewall. Even so, they work well in the snow, even with just 2WD (and TCS). Right away I noticed more precise steering and handling but the big improvement was on the highway. There is no more "wandering" and the tracking is excellent.

As I've said before, it's almost criminal that GMC didn't make the thing like this to begin with.
  • Options
    Without knowing your goals, I cannot say without a shadow of a doubt whether the Borla is a good thing or not. What worked for me may not work for you. I wanted the dual exhaust look and some increase in performance. With the Borla I got both, but also the extra droning which I did not like.
    I put a Volant cool air system on my Envoy. It does work well with the Borla and lets the engine have more air than stock. It also produces more noise at WOT (wide open throttle). No problems with any computer or chips at all for me with either mod. I chose the Volant because it is a closed system, others like the open exposed filter systems that are available.
    If you have doubts, keep the old exhaust system and intake. If you don't like the changes you make you can return it to origional factory configuration.
  • Options
    Well i guess i have to make up my mind what i want. So if i say this; more horsepower, not alot but better than what i got now. Smooth throttle, acceleration, better sound so will i get these with the borla system?? And lastly what do you mean closed volant system as opposed open exposed filter system thats all thanks guys. ps does it matter if its on the tblazer or envoy.
  • Options
    trailblazer02trailblazer02 Member Posts: 11
    poles: Just came back from Silver Lake a few weeks ago. You need to buy a yearly sticker to get into the State Park or a day pass ($30 o $7) for out of state, another one to get into the ORV area ($16.25 for the year), a 12 foot flag. TB has no trouble tackling the high dune as long as you drop down to 10 pounds of pressure.

The flag is about $20 and the bracket to attach to your tow hook is $10 at the first store right outside the park. Free air hose too.

This by far was the most fun I ever had driving. Pack a lunch and picnic right on the lake.

Your TB will be covered with sand BTW
  • Options
    leit: Had the same problem on my wife's TB 2002 LT. Brought it back a bunch of times. Noise was usually at startup for 2-5 minutes, load roar and lack of power. They kept reprogramming the thing. Lost power also a couple of times on the highway towing a camper with the fan making a ton of noise.

In addition to reprogramming they replace the TCM (transmission control module) which didn't fix it.

Finally they replace the clutch fan assembly and the problem went away. We did have to live with the problem for about 12,000 miles until they figured it out.
  • Options
    mookie14 I found out a long time ago few things are absolute, or 100% satisfactory. Regarding the Borla, I wanted it because it would add the look I wanted to the TB, probably give it an honest 5% power gain in the top-end, was all-stainless so it won't rust or corrode over time, and I wasn't particularly fond of the look of the big black can resonator that was starting to show signs of rust around the edges after less than a year. Keep your old system pieces if you do it. Watched a used Borla system a guy had originally installed on an Envoy he traded in, had welded it together, then cut off, and it sold for over $400 on eBay! I was surprised. You can at least recoup some of the cost if you don't like it. But I think you will. Overall it's pretty quiet for a performance exhaust system. I would have preferred it not to have that sound peak as previously discussed, but it's not objectionable to me. Really don't notice now it after driving it that way for a year.

Haven't seen an aftermarket air intake yet that impressed me. Maybe the Airraid, or the Airmax would be OK. Most look like they would take in too much hot underhood air. That will kill performance. You want something that will get cooler outside air and with lowest restriction as possible. Couldn't see spending $200-300 for a plastic box that "might" give some top-end HP since I rarely rev it over 5 grand. So, I just went with a "Green" brand oiled cotton material filter to replace the stock filter, and left the stock air box alone. No problems with the computer making corrections as it might need to do. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    Closed system refers to replacing the air filter and it's box with another air filter and box. Open system you would see the air filter when you opened the hood.
    02-03 Envoy's and TB's with the 4.2 I-6 engine use same parts for exhaust and air filters.
    Tblazed just replaced his OEM air filter with an aftermarket one and still had a closed system. This would be a more economical way to improve air flow. Easier installation also, as just the filter was replaced.
    Next time you are where they sell magazines, pick up a copy of Truckin or Sport Trucks as they have pictures and will help you with the terminology such as closed or open system. They have many ads and you can see some of the aftermarket items available.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply! I just lost power 2 times the other day. That was a first in 2 years. The same day I also had the problem of my car/transmission NOT responding to reverse or drive...it went nowhere! I turned off the ignition and started it again and had no problem...and of course my husband just so happened to be out of town at the time. It did that one other time about a month ago. This time my information/message box (I don't know what it is called where it informs you of your miles, mpg, etc., etc., etc.)read that the oil pressure was low. We checked out the oil, leaks, guage, etc....everything was perfect. My husband maintains the car regulary and I baby it with a great deal of pride.

My vehicle only has 23,000 miles on it. I can't imagine what else will happen with a few more miles on it. I guess this week it will go back to the service department and we will share your information from your experience. Thanks again!
  • Options
    I just checked again. They also reprogrammed the ECM at 17,500 miles. That made the whole thing worse and we brought it right back and that's when they replace the clutch assembly I guess for the fan. This was done at 17,695.

My invoice says:

Customer States SES Lamp ON.
    Customer States VEH has loud roaring noise on ACELL
    Customer States VEH looses power when problem exist.

Fix for me was: J23390 Clutch Assembly, Fan Replace
                       791 W
                      1 89040306 Clutch

I don't know what the numbers mean, but after that, we never had the problem again. Last time before they finally fixed it, the engine light came on which hadn't happened before. An the noise, etc. wouldn't stop. I guess whatever was wrong finally broke.

This problem as been posted a bunch of time to this discussion. I think I told the dealer how to fix it from what I read here. Sad that you can't get if fixed otherwise.

Best of luck
  • Options
    jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    I need to get an all-purpose vehicle to cover a wide range of activities, and I was thinking maybe the Envoy's XUV might fit the bill. My last GM was a '98 Intrigue, that made trips back to the shop [18 times in 18 months]. I got too frustrated, and decided to cut my losses.

It appears that after reading thru the last couple months of posts, that moving back to the GM family may not be such a good idea. I thought maybe I got into the Problem area for the TB/Envoy etc. Seems like nothing but repeated problems, and how much does one need to spend on an extended warranty.

I hardly read a single post, of anyone loving their SUV and NOT having problems etc. etc.

I'm not trying to start anything, I just want to know if, anyone here can truly recommend a Envoy either XLT or XUV. –Or- would I be better off moving over to a Yukon?
  • Options
    aldan93aldan93 Member Posts: 202
    thinking of getting yoko's 255's instead of 245's geolanders, or Cooper Discover A/T any comments? is 255 going to mess up the speedo, OEM is 245.

What has everyone else done, I live in the snow belt. And tow occasionly
  • Options
    I would get the Yukon if you can afford it, I love my TB no major issues just little things.
  • Options
    ross1962ross1962 Member Posts: 229
    After your 3rd or 4th flat, you might re-consider your opinions on tires. the BFG Comp TA is a very good performing tire, but in order to be sticky, they are soft, have no steel belts and very low resistance to punctures. They also don't last very long. Had them once - that was enough.
    Incidentally, I am now running the stock BFGs that came on my '02 TB. After 3 flats, I'm putting Michlelin LTX M/S on it today, which is a little firmer riding tire than the All Terrains that come on the Envoy.
    So after my experience with two different types of BFGs, I won't buy them anymore. Had good luck in the past with Uniroyals, Goodyears and Michelins. All good tires.
  • Options
    ross1962ross1962 Member Posts: 229
    Your TB will be covered with sand BTW

NO WAY! Who'da thunk it? :-)
  • Options
    Since I finally got the handling and suspension the way I like it, I have been pretty darned impressed with the stock BFG 16" Open Trail T/A tires. Did get a drywall screw into one at less than 900 miles, got it plugged and patched from the inside free at good ol' Discount Tires, and would buy another set if they still make them when these finally wear enough to need it. Handling remarkably good now with the bar, bushings and springs mod, quiet on the highway, have excellent traction wet or dry, and appear to have "siping" already factory molded into the tread design. Had near disasterous results (hydroplaning) with a set of Michelin "X" tires back in '83, probably would never buy a set of Michelins again because of that, except that Michelin now produces the BF Goodrich tires! Everybody probably has a tire story or two...
  • Options
    m1icemanm1iceman Member Posts: 11
    Well, a little while ago I posted a problem I had with the shift lock and a problem I had with it, summerize-2002 TB LT w/40K, dont have extended warranty and had the shift lock lock up and had to have it towed to the dealership and have it fixed.

I asked the mechanic how it could be that this lock piece could break and was told "THEY JUST BREAK" Well, I said how is it a piece that you know will be used alot isnt made stronger so it doesnt break. Oh yeah, I did have the recall done to remove the orange button so I couldnt get it out of park. Anyway 4 days later and $400 for labor and $200 for rental, I was mad and filed a complaint with Chevy.

3 Weeks later my wife gets a call from the lady handling the case. She gets all the info from my wife then calls the dealership I had to bring it back to, which isnt the one I go to when I have work done. After 20 minutes on hold the lady comes back and tells my wife
    "THE MECHANIC SAYS THE PIECE BROKE BECAUSE THERE WAS COINS AND SOME STICKY STUFF, MAYBE COFFEE NEAR THE LOCK"!!!!!

Ok, anyone who has a TB knows the shifter is COVERED with a leather cover. My wife says the cover is there so how can coins get there, my husband takes care of the truck and the cover has never been off. ohhhhh Welll OOhhWeeeelll The lady says, "WELL IT MUST HAVE BEEN THE STICKY STUFF, COFFEE" My wife fires back, "My husband doesnt drink coffee, which I dont. If that was the case with coffee, she means to tell me that coffee is so corrosive that it will melt about plastic or metal or whatever the piece was made of. How many cars would fall apart if that were the caese. The lady goes on to say that they wont reimburse us for the cost of getting the part fixed.

My wife and I were both upset that a 35K truck can have a piece break, that should not break ever, in my opinion. To have the dealership LIE about what they told me and the Chevy lady and for her to try and justify their BS. I asked how and why it could happen and they LIE to cover the fact of a defective part. I plan on filing another complaint with GM. I know things go wrong, I can deal with that, but only 2 years old and LIE about it, come on.
  • Options
    I hope you kept the old parts, since you paid for them. That would help you prove your case. I would insist on a meeting with a zone manager.

When I get something repaired that I pay for, I NEVER leave without the old parts they replaced, even if I just toss them into the trash as soon as I get home.

Don't you HATE it when they gang up on you like that?

And no, just coffee won't eat up parts, or cause them to stick unless there's sugar or other "additives" in it, but Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, etc with citric and/or phosphoric acid and sugar WILL. Eats metal stuff up big-time.
  • Options
    I know you all are tired of me already but i have 2 and i do say two last questions; If a suv is meant for pulling, towing, why do we want to get the grand prix performance from a suv? Not being duh duh but im fishing for info thats all And this is it. Of you both which air intake would you guys recommend for a guy like me who has trailblazer. This for tblazed/01Hoe
  • Options
    ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    m1iceman, where have you been for 3 years? We have been describing in detail the many problems experienced by triplet owners with their cars. We have advised whoever would listen to buy the extended warranty. We have detailed the expensive costs of repairing a techno boondoggle with 7 onboard computers controlling everything. Please don't think I am being harsh, but you were warned. How many people have said "I love my triplet even though it lets me down occasionally" What do you think they meant by that? These triplets will be among the most expensive cars to repair in the near future. It's to late for you to buy the extended warranty, but 3 years and 36 k miles is just that.
  • Options
    pete2002pete2002 Member Posts: 36
    I second that ficuss. I am guilty of loving my truck too and I am in denial of the the times it has betrayed me. That is why I purchased a prenup, (extended warranty). At least I can hedge my costs down the road if it tries to break up on me...
  • Options
    "which air intake would you guys recommend" See my first reply to that in message 14855.
  • Options
    If you KNOW for sure no coffee or coins were ever around to find their way into that mechanism, I would absolutely insist they ( dealer service manager and a Chev zone manager) show me how it is physically possible for these things to cause that problem. Why didn't they simply remove the coins and clean the "coffee" from the parts? Looked at mine, seems fairly well sealed from spills and foreign objects. Sounds to me like the "tech" that worked on it is trying to protect the commission he got for doing that repair out of warranty. If GM decided to be nice and pay for it he would get paid probably a fraction of the labor he charged you.
  • Options
    cebtebcebteb Member Posts: 138
    Took the Bravada in Monday morning at 7 AM. Described the Crow Hop/binding on slow tight turns problem to SA and provided a copy of a post from this forum with the applicable TSB. Service called about 10:30 AM and told me I was good to go. Seems the service technician defined the problem as I had described it and applied the TSB.

Picked up the Bravada and the Crow Hop is gone. Overall steering is improved, so I don't know how long things have been deteriorating. Could have been a while, since my wife first brought this issue to the Dealers attention last August. However, at that time, they claimed they could not duplicate.

I do hope that the replacement encoder motor sensors are an improvement over the originals. Otherwise I see this happening again and again every 10 to 15 thousand miles. Anyone with a Bravada have the replacement encoder motor sensor replaced later?
  • Options
    joefoxjoefox Member Posts: 5
    So I took my wife's 04 TB LS in to get running boards put on and asked them to road force balance the tires (Hunter GSP 9700) on the off chance that they were causing the problem. I get a call from the service rep saying that they are ordering a full set of new tires as they could not be successfully balanced. HE seemed to think it was because the vehicle more than likely sat around long enough to develop a flat spot on the tires. I prodded him and he said he thought the techs found 2 tires with problems but they'd replace all 4 just to be sure. My fingers are crossed that this will solve the constant vibration problem once and for all. If not its off to the drive shaft specialist shop in town for step 2.

BTW...for those with new TBs, you can request balancing and alignments under warranty up to 7,500 miles.

I'll let ya'll know how it turns out.

Any other Texans in the bunch here?

Joe Fox
    04 Black trailblazer LS
    San Antonio TX
  • Options
    cbwilshacbwilsha Member Posts: 70
    Yes Joe--I have a 2003 Envoy and live in Port Neches, Texas which is about 300 miles East of you very near to both the Gulf Coast and the Louisiana border. Good Luck with your new TB.

C. B. Shahan
  • Options
    leopardmechleopardmech Member Posts: 10
    I finally got around to it this week and took my truck to the dealer for the rear license plate gasket again and the noisy dash coming from the tach motor. I pretty much told them that they had to replace the cluster first thing in the morning when I dropped it off but it wasn't until about 4:00 in the afternoon Monday that they figured this out and ordered the part. I went back in Thursday when they recieved the cluster and had it installed. When I picked up the truck I was surprised that it had Monday's milage on it again but hey that was a good thing. When I left the dealership my chimes started going off every 10 seconds or so and every light on the dash brake, abs, seatbelt etc kept flashing. Service was already closed when I picked the truck up so I went home. Went again this morning with the new complaint it took them 4 hours and they put my old dash back in waiting for a new one again. I love the Truck but the service I got this time sucked. Sorry I had to get that off my chest.
    Later
    Leopardmech
  • Options
    Hi out there! Anyone figure out the cure for the terrible a/c...always hot at start-up, cools off, blows warm, and sometimes cold...never consistent!They've changed the relay switch several times to the "new & latest" model...works for a while and than I'm back to the usual. It's terribly "HOT" in Florida and I can't tolerate this a/c anymore!!! My 2002 Trailblazer LT also, inconsistantly, will race at start-up and whine when it shifts into first...it takes awhile to shift into gear after I've had the racing. Also,
    (only twice in the past month), I would put the TB into reverse and it wouldn't go anywhere and once into drive and it didn't move when given the gas. It only has 23,000 miles and it's been pampered from day 1!!!!!! I love it, but can't stand continually going to the dealership and they say it's working fine or they've fixed the problem to only have it happen again!

Thanks trailblazer02 for your input! I'm taking your info to the service department next week when I return! Any others having similar problems that have been resolved??? HELP!!!! I love this vehicle, but not the problems!!!!
  • Options
  • Options
    oldskoololdskool Member Posts: 4
    Hopefully they are not tales from the crypt.....
    I am interested in an 02 bravada, totally loaded, rides wonderfully except for vibration in low speed tight turns (is that the crow-hop discussed above?)
    Not an extremely wealthy person, that needs reliability. But loves the techno-fobs that come with the olds nameplate. So when you say that the costs to repair are going to increase in the future, I'd like to know whether most people are leasing these puppies, or are they purchasing?
    If the majority of owners are purchasers, how many miles do you get before a major problem crops up? What type of trade in vals are you seeing if you turn them in?
    Finally, I own two olds that I bought used. Why cant I get GM loyal bucks? are there other incentives out there for "fools like me"?
  • Options
    ob1ob1 Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone noticed an increase in gas mileage/performance by using a synthetic oil? If so, which brand of oil was used.
  • Options
    Well, I just had my local Chevy dealer install new Eibach springs, new Bilstein HD shocks, and new Hotchkis rear sway bar and links on my brand new Envoy. The cost of installation came to $585 -- not including an alignment which I am still debating. (I'm sure the service manager thought I was nuts to be doing this to a brand new SUV.)

The feel -- at least around town -- is definitely firmer, but subtly so. She doesn't glide over broken pavement like it wasn't even there any more, but on the other hand, the porpoising seems to be gone. I'll know a lot better when I get her on some back roads. I did notice an occasional clunk from the left rear over bad pavement that wasn't there before. Have to check that out as soon as I get a chance.

So, is it worth over $1000? Well, it kind of depends on who you are. If a creamy smooth ride is paramount, the answer is a Big No. However, if your priorities are a maximum of control, then I would have to say yes.
  • Options
    adamjeepsadamjeeps Member Posts: 56
    For what its worth, I just compared the TB reliability rating of a 2002 TB to that of the 2002 Explorer on MSN Carpoint and guess what, the TB get 5 out of 5 and the Explorer gets 4 out of 5. Specifically, the TB has moderate problems with the transmission shifts and the a/c cycling switch. The Explorer reports include an engine pressure sensor, problems with the 4 wheel drive and transmission not functioning properly, and a brake sensor problem.
       Maybe our triplets are not as bad as we'd like to think sometimes. I know in 24,000 miles we have only had the a/c cycling switch and the rear license plate gasket replaced.

Thanks again for all our fellow posters here.