Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• Options
    n7donn7don Member Posts: 188
    Often the terms "detonation" and "preignition" are used interchangeably however they are not the same as shown in this link: http://snipurl.com/Preignition
    If preignition occurs, engine damage can occur in a matter of seconds. If it occurs at high rpm/engine load, it won't be heard until it's too late.

Fuel injector cleaner? Like tblazed, I've actually measured it's effect. The long term fuel trim on my 98 Montana was near it's +20% limit, meaning the computer was enrichening the fuel mixture to correct for a lean condition. After a tank with Chevron FI cleaner, the fuel trim was under 10%. However a better approach is to use a good gasoline with higher detergent levels so the use of cleaner isn't necessary.
  • Options
    bricklayertxbricklayertx Member Posts: 20
    I have two sets of cables. I was wanting to 'punish' GM for making me bring the vehicle to the dealer. Also, when a battery dies without any warning, there's no guaranty that it will hang in for the trip to the dealer, after jumping.
  • Options
    blink3blink3 Member Posts: 74
    The Airaid intake looks to me to be the best aftermarket intake for our trucks. Does anyone have any experience with this intake and what differences did you feel in performance and fuel economy???

Thanks!!!
  • Options
    polespoles Member Posts: 23
    i was wondering what type of wax and how often everyone wax's there car.
    thanks
           poles
  • Options
    gmoudygmoudy Member Posts: 67
    I use Mother's Carnuba Wax. Lasts about 6 months here in the hot New Mexico sun in the summer.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Store Bought Waxes Part II (No Zaino Posts) covers the basics.

If you really want to get into detailing your Trailblazer, check out Zaino Car Polishes/Products--Your Experiences (Part 2),

Steve, Host
  • Options
    tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    Eagle One "Wax as you Dry" is an excellent product and is especially good for someone who doesn't particularly like dealing with waxes that leave white dust in cracks and crevices, and residue on the black trim. It leaves a slick coating that really looks excellent afterwards. Amazing stuff.

I avoid using anything with an abrasive cleaner in it on clear coat paint.
  • Options
    wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that would be covered under the RoadSide Assistance coverage with towing, if needed, covered by the manufacturer.
  • Options
    thedrakethedrake Member Posts: 14
    SD1 sold only at Harley Davidson stores.

The best by a long shot.
  • Options
    what makes this wax so much better than mothers or any other kind?
    im just curious because i just waxed my TB with mothers and it looks great.
    thanks
          poles
  • Options
    twinrottstwinrotts Member Posts: 161
    There are numerous products out there all of which will provide satisfactory results initially. I continue to use several including Meguires Gold Class, Eagle One Nanowax and Zaino.
    My favorite is Zaino, but I'll only use that when I have time to spend applying numerous coats after multiple washes. According to Guru Reports, the Zaino is the best performing all around in virually every category, but certainly longevity.
    The Eagle One I got for free as they had a 100% rebate. It applies well and looks good with minimal residue. It is a bit hard coming off.
    If you are a detailer at heart, I do suggest subscribing to Guru Reports as a unbiased information source
  • Options
    funitsfunits Member Posts: 55
    I use the BOM (Best Overall Method), a spray on clear liquid. Available on the internet.
    Been using is for years, first on antique cars, then on modern cars. It provides a protective finish that works wonders through the Northeast winters: salt, sand, tar, etc. Nothing seems to stick to the paint. People were I work have been using it for years as well, after asking me what I used on my vehicle. Everyone is please. It is more expensive than other products available.
  • Options
    2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    The best wax is made by a small company in Utaca, NY. It is not mass produced and is the easiest wax to apply with no residue. Do a search on google and you will find its fleetwax was the best on boats in saltwater. It does not take 100 coats like Zaino to look good and last for months. http://www.collinite.com/auto.htm#super

The only fuel injection cleaner you want to use is made by Redline synthetics. All others break down during combustion but SI-1 Complete Fuel System Cleaner does not.
    http://www.redlineoil.com/products_fueladditives.asp
    Check it out for yourself.
    You WILL thank me later
  • Options
    2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    My wifes 2k Impala LS with 14k miles had a dead battery one day. I went to try and charge it and decided to check the terminals. The positive fell right off. Turns out it had a leak behind the terminal from being over tightened at the factory and eat the terminal right off. They only cover a battery for the length of the original warranty.
    I pulled the battery from my 1985 monte SS and it fired right up. The SS is down for the winter anyway.
  • Options
    eruss44eruss44 Member Posts: 13
    I tend to agree with you that Collinite wax,which is made in UTICA,NY is really good...Collinite Co. is located on Lincoln ave.,just off the north-south arterial(Routes 12,8,and 5). You beat me to the post about it...It is recommended in the Mercedes book, also...The key is to use the blue bottle first("insulator wax"), and then the top coat is the red bottle...A VERY small company, but a VERY superior product!!! ~ERUSS~
  • Options
    hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    ...that people take an empirical look at Zaino. It's not a wax, and it lasts far longer than any wax. You don't need to put 100 coats on to make the car look good. I put a half-dozen on my black Aurora (not garaged) back in April, and only now is the Zaino starting to break down. Try that with any wax.

I kept a couple of coats on my wife's white 2001 GTP (garaged), and detailed the heck out of it when we went to sell the car so we could buy her Envoy. A couple of used-car appraisers thought the car was a 2003, since it was so clean and sharp (looked almost new, after 3 years and 39k miles). To each their own, but Zaino does have so many followers for a good reason - it works very, very well.

Just my 2 cents,

--Robert
  • Options
    bigrbigr Member Posts: 1
    How Do I program mine
  • Options
    hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    There should be a section in the owner's manual about it. You have to first clear the system in the car. Once you have done that, you then press the button you want to program in the car and then hold up a working remote opener from the door or gate system you have. If the system uses a "rolling code", then you have to push a button on the opener motor within a certain time. It helps to have two people if you have the rolling code opener as it saves you having to get out of the car fast and up a ladder!

Good luck.
  • Options
    tmarkb2tmarkb2 Member Posts: 37
    blink3,

I highly recommend the Airaid kit. I tried the Volant first but it was a POS and I returned it.

I also added the Airaid throttle body spacer and the two bits really seemed to improve the drivablility and responsiveness of my Envoy. Re: fuel economy, I've never checked, before or after the Airaid.

If you can get past the high cost, I also recommend the Borla stainless exhaust system.
  • Options
    01_hoe01_hoe Member Posts: 273
    Curious, why was the Volant a POS?
  • Options
    thanks for the input. I was beginning to think I was on a wax board there for a little bit. HA! Someone mentioned the Volant and I looked at it and it did look like a pretty good design. Looked like it's installation provided more of a "ram air" effect. the Volant I think was more expensive than the airaid system.
      thanks for the info.
  • Options
    gmoudygmoudy Member Posts: 67
    If you have to put 6 coats of wax on your vehicle to last 7 months, in my book, it just isn't worth the time or the money!
  • Options
    gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    Just an update on my '03 Envoy. Just took it in for a recall (wiper motor) and the bad sway bar links. They did the rear tail lamp fix at the same time(kinda scary all the simple things that have gone wrong). They also fixed my moaning brake pedal. Kudos to my dealer for being nice guys.

I'm averaging 19 mpg in mixed driving which is OK by me. A friend bought a Turbo Outback and gets just over 21 mpg, but he needs premium so he's getting the same mpg as me on a cost basis.

One amusing thing, my truck listed for $37.5K in '03. A new '05 with the same equipment now lists for $40.5K! Yikes! Cruise control is now an option???!!! No wonder incentives were $6-7.5K for a triplet. $41K is Lexus territory.

Greg
  • Options
    is the airraid system really worth $200? can you actually feel the difference once you put it on?
    thanks
          poles
  • Options
    newtoenvoynewtoenvoy Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I am a new owner of a 2002 GMC Envoy and for two days now can't figure out how to set the radio controls to the preset stations I prefer. May seem like a silly question, but if anyone knows the answer, I'd appreciate it! The Envoy did not come with the owner's manual so this forum is my resource for now! THANKS!!!
  • Options
    seifordseiford Member Posts: 68
    Check out www.mygmlink.com and you'll find downloadable versions of the Owners Manuals. I think you can also order original ones there too.
  • Options
    tmarkb2tmarkb2 Member Posts: 37
    01_hoe,
    The tube was molded at an angle that prevented the airbox cover from lining up. I could have made it fit but would have put the cover in a bind. Volant said they knew of the problem but weren't sure when they would be molding new tubes.

blink3,
    Actually, I think the Airaid was more expensive but it definitely is a nicer piece; better fit and finish and materials.

holes,
    The CAI and TBS are definitely worth the cost. I also went with a Borla exhaust so I'm sure that helped as well. Under normal conditions, makes the Envoy a little more responsive and drivable, give it gas and it goes. Under full throttle and from 3500+ to 6000, you get a serious punch in the back. I'm real pleased with the upgrades.

Hope all this helps.
  • Options
    My '02 Envoy was just updated with 3 recalls (wiper motor, front seat belt and rear tail lights) and new tires M&B. I also avg. 19-20 mpg in mixed driving.

I thought of trading for a 05 with the same options as my 2002 SLT with everything but block heater and DVD system. Jan. 2002 it stickered at $38K. The '05 was $42+K with a $2,650 discount on the sticker bringing it to $39+K. I was interested but found out: No auto dimming inside or outside mirrors, no digital voice recorder, no glove box light, no under hood light. Leather seats were 1-shade of grey instead of 2-tone grey. No integrated/diversity antenna in rear glass, but a whip antenna. Granted there were adjustable pedals and XM radio.

I decided I would rather keep my '02 with all its features. And besides, the dealer wouldn't deal on the '05, even though I used all costs from Edmunds for True Market Value and trade-in.

It would be nice if GM ADDED features instead of deleted features to control costs.
  • Options
    02envoyowner02envoyowner Member Posts: 24
    As posted a few weeks back, GM Customer Service has "offered" me 5 years/60k miles (ie, 2 yrs/24k miles over factory) as "appreciation of my patience" with my surging/clunking 2002 Envoy. I do not think this is an amenable solution to a problematic car that GM is unable to fix (and frankly, I probably could not sell because of this issue). They claim that should anything "related" pop-up down the line, it "may" be covered as I have opened a ticket with GM about this problem. My concern here: if they don't know what the problem is and how to fix it, how can I be confident that they will be able to fairly determine whether something is related to this issue or not (ie, not be paying once again).

So, I'm curious to all those willing to volley up suggestions. What would you consider "fair"/acceptable if you were in my situation.

Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    erikheikererikheiker Member Posts: 230
    Any 04's on the lot? We just picked one up at a tremendous discount. It stickered for $40,090 ($41,778 if you add in the dealer's markup). We drove it away for $28,800 + license. Sure beats the stripper Grand Cherokee Lithia had for $25,999 that the little lady wanted so bad. Until she drove the two, that is! It sure is a nice ride! For those of you with Lithia dealers near by, what has been your experience? I found them to be predators. They own five different dealerships around town and they were all the same. And their "Promo Price" is a joke. They'll never get any of my business.

Erik
  • Options
    travisftravisf Member Posts: 1
    I am considering purchasing a used 02 TB. Local dealer has one listed for about 17,000 w/26K miles. I have also considered an 04 Rendevous. What is the general concensus on the reliablitily of the TB? Any common first year problems? I would appreciate any feedback.

thanks,
    travis
  • Options
    adamjeepsadamjeeps Member Posts: 56
    Depending on build date, there could be a problem with engine piston sleeves. GM upped the warranty to 100,000 miles on these. Make sure all recalls have been performed. It really seems like most of the problems are with the luxury upgrades such as memory seats/mirrors and auto. climate control. If you go with the TB I'd recommend a GM extended warranty because repairs (especially electronic issues) are costly and add up quick.
  • Options
    telseatelsea Member Posts: 2
    New to the board..

Bought a used 02 Envoy a couple months ago, the oil life is now at 53%, when do I actually need to have the oil changed.

Thanks for ya help in advance.
  • Options
    erikheikererikheiker Member Posts: 230
    When it gets down to zero. Your message center will let you know. Mileagewise, it all depends on your driving habits. Expect about 3000 miles total, driving short distances in cold climates to about 6-7000 miles driving long distances.

Erik
  • Options
    01_hoe01_hoe Member Posts: 273
    Was the oil changed just before you purchased the Envoy? If not, if it were mine I would have the oil changed immediately, and have the oil life reset to 100%. Then change every 3 to 5K miles. An oil change is one of the least expensive things you will probably do to your vehicle.
  • Options
    imadad2imadad2 Member Posts: 79
    If they cannot fix the problem, it is pretty simple lemon law. Offering a longer warranty does not resolve your issue. If they can fix the problem, and offer the warranty, all be it. From what you have written, I would do my best to get rid of the truck. It sounds like a lemon.
  • Options
    When buying a used vehicle, the first thing you should do is change the oil. The oil use gauge in the Envoy is a neat tool, but I always stick to the old rules. 3,000 miles for oil, 5,000 miles for synthetic oil. If they gauge malfunctions, you could screw up your engine creating greater problems. Oil changed can be done for less than $20.
  • Options
    seifordseiford Member Posts: 68
    We went through the Arbitration (BBB) for our Surge/Clunk issue and it was a total waste of time. Lemon Laws vary by state.

The Arbitrator agreed there was a problem, but the only resolutions available to him are "buy back" or "no buy back". In our state (Minnesota), you have to show that the problem: "impairs the use or market value of the vehicle". I also remember that if it's a safety issue it's also covered. He didn't rule in our favor.

I felt we had nowhere else to complain so I just live with the problem and have the dealer look at it each time we bring the Envoy in for something else. I was so disappointed in GM.
  • Options
    scottc454scottc454 Member Posts: 356
    When buying a used vehicle, the first thing you should do is change the oil.

What for? The person who had the vehicle before you was just like you. If you think they didn't maintain it properly, why are you buying it?
  • Options
    I am in central New Hampshire. The dealer had at least 10 Envoys on the lot (some '04s & 05s), but didn't want to meet my numbers on the '05 I wanted. Since the '05s have been "decontented", I don't want one anyway. I will wait for the Envoy Denali and see what price/features it has. What I really want is improved fuel economy either through DOD (displacement on demand) or a hybrid system. Gasoline prices will never go down, therefore vehicle MPG needs to go up.
  • Options
    oh, ok. so i should just BELIEVE what some person I met 5 minutes ago told me. It is common sense. Pull the dipstick number one, look at the oil, smell the oil. You just spent $20-$40k spend another $20.00 and change the damn oil and filter. JEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!
  • Options
    scottc454scottc454 Member Posts: 356
    No need to get snippy.

If I buy a used car with 80,000 miles and somebody
    has been neglecting oil changes, they've been neglecting them for a long time. Putting in fresh oil isn't going to erase that history. That was my main point.

oh, ok. so i should just BELIEVE what some person I met 5 minutes ago told me

You bought the car didn't you? To me that implies a certain level of faith.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    For around $10 you can have the oil analyzed and that'll suggest whether the oil needs changing and may shed some light on the engine condition overall.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    ross1962ross1962 Member Posts: 229
    GM recommends 10,000 miles between oil changes on My TB with the I6 engine. I usually go about 7-8K. I think this may be due to the huge capacity of 7 quarts.
  • Options
    previousamigopreviousamigo Member Posts: 130
    I'll try to make this short. I swapped out my "02 TB LS radio for a '04 TB radio to get a simple radio with a "band" button (instead of AM/FM) to attach XM DIRECT through the factory radio.

The dealership said they could unlock this with no problem so I had the XM DIRECT and '04 radio installed and the '04 radio showed the time and said "LOCKED" as I expected. I took it back to the dealership to get it unlocked so the VIN's would match but they could not do it. Now the dealership is telling me a '04 radio will not communicate with a '02 trailblazer.

HELP!!!
  • Options
    My point is, that when you buy used vehicle, you have no idea how many miles you have until the next oil change. Very few owners that you purchase from are anal enough to have records to show you. I was just trying to point out that an oil change gives you a starting point to track your mileage. I have racked up huge mileage on vehicles by following my oil change rules.
  • Options
    dragonhead08dragonhead08 Member Posts: 34
    I had the sam eproblem on mine. I got themwhen they forst came out as you couldt tell from the airboz cover that it looked like someone carved out the opening by hand. After 6+ months the mounting tabs snapped due to binding against the tube when the engine moved from torque. I got a new one under warranty and it fits fine now, but only after going out any buying some really large diameter washers. The first cover had the volant logo tampoed on. The new one actually has a logo screwed into the top. The only thing is my first build tube dosnt have a cut out for the air filter sensor thingy.
  • Options
    sisu145sisu145 Member Posts: 22
    Can you use a oem nav radio out of a 03 or 04 envoy in a 02 envoy? I'd like to upgrade my bose oem unit to a nav system.

Thanks,
  • Options
    previousamigopreviousamigo Member Posts: 130
    It is a used '04 TB radio. The radio seems to work fine for what it is able to do. It is showing the time and reads "LOCKED" on the display. All the lights work and it stays on after the engine is turned off and then turns off after the door is opened just like the original radio. I don't understand how two different dealerships said it would work and then after they try to unlock it they say they can't. There has got to be a way to get the data bus to communicate.
  • Options
    hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    Can the computer programming be updated to permit the radio to work? It seems like it should be able to be done.