Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• lgspencelgspence Member Posts: 15
    I had problems (I thought) with the automatic load leveling suspension in my SLT. I would frequently hear a whoosh of air during short trips. I was under the impression that there should not be a lot of adjusting when the load is constant. So, I took the car to the dealer and they thought it was a little "overactive". After checking the system for leaks (they couldn't find any), they called GM who recommended that they replace the compressor. Well, that was done and now I think that I still hear the compressor operating quite frequently. My question to others with this system is how often do you hear the compressor come on? Also, when I turn off the ignition and leave the car, I see the car lower and hear an expulsion of air. This is of course taken care of when I start up the car again and the compressor kicks in, but I don't seem to remember that happening before. Is it normal for quite a bit of air to be released when you turn off the SUV? I hesitate to take it back to the dealer (for fear of making things worse, again) until I hear some feedback from others out there...thanks for your help.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    YES, YES, a thousand times yes! Have had mine since July 19th and have 8300 miles on it. Have had the wandering mirrors and the sagging headliner (caused by misaligned velcro, by the way). I also have the minor paint problem on the tail end. Still, I love it every time I drive it. If it were destroyed or stolen tomorrow, I would go order another one just like it. Indigo blue 4WD SLT with med pewter leather, professional towing group, sunroof & running boards. I added a weathertech cargo mat and bug deflector, GMC rubber floor mats, and GMC mud guards. I get complements where ever I drive and can run circles around my brother's ML320, what I affectionately refer to as "the pregnant roller skate!"
  • boat10boat10 Member Posts: 59
    had my new TB since 6/01....LOVE IT, so go for the gusto!!!! you won't be disappointed.
    MY2cents!!!!
  • trek1420btrek1420b Member Posts: 32
    axsysman,

I definitely have this problem as have others on this board. I have had my LT TB since April and have yet to hear of either a solution or explanation. Yours is the first. I took it into the dealer and told them about it. They said they drove it, felt it, and fixed it. Nope. I still have it. Next visit I will see if they concur with the explanation you received. Thanks for the info. If that is the true answer, it's still annoying.
  • trek1420btrek1420b Member Posts: 32
    OK, I know this is not the time of year to be asking a question about driving with my sunroof open but here goes...

When driving (say 45mph or more) with the sunroof retracted a metal bar with holes pops up on the leading edge. I am assuming the intent is to reduce wind noise. However I feel like this bar generates even more wind noise. When I reach up and hold the bar down, it's gets quieter. Anyone else agree or disagree?
  • quickdtooquickdtoo Member Posts: 266
    I think it's supposed to act like a bug deflector to keep bugs out of your vehicle. My wife's Toyota has one too. Just my opinion, don't know for sure.
    Tim
  • hmaximohmaximo Member Posts: 22
    It certainly does become quieter when the bar is depressed.The bug explanation sounds fair,better than hoping it's for noise anyway.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    We have a Chrysler 300M with a factory sunroof and if you hold that bar down, it is 500 times quieter. As for purpose, it's there to prevent wind buffeting inside the interior despite making more noise. It's not for bugs or to lessen the noise.
  • dyatesdyates Member Posts: 13
    In response to message #3520. I have the air suspension on a new Indigo Blue Bravada. It usually will make some minor noise when first starting and I think, ending the ride. It will also recalibrate periodically through normal driving.

I have been very happy with it. I just noticed last night what a wonderful ride it gives on the highway. I also can't wait to tow or load up the back and see how it works.
  • gwen3gwen3 Member Posts: 2
    I have done all the reseach, and on paper the tb can't be beat, then I happen onto this site, it is like going back to square one.
    Fortunately, I have not made a firm committment as yet.

The tb I'am looking at was delivered to the dealer in Nov. Would anyone know if these recalls were addressed prior to November or is this something that is addressed after the purchase?

For those of you with problems, all I can say is continue to change your oil on a regular basis, for me that has always been 2500 - 3000 miles.
  • icojonesicojones Member Posts: 61
    Does anyone have any experience with any wood trim kits for the triplets? If so, how are they and where is a good place to get them?
  • watchdog2watchdog2 Member Posts: 21
    Greetings,

I come again seeking assistance on obtaining the "part number" for the metallic pewter paint for my two tone mejestic red / metallic pewter 2wd LTZ. I have gone to the dealer but the only part numbers aledgedly listed in my vehicle's glove box are for the actual mejestic red body color and not for the wheel flares which are pewter. I have a small noiticable sratch over one of the wheel flares. If anyone knows the "part number" for the pewter touch up paint I will greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,
    watchdog2
  • funitsfunits Member Posts: 55
    The time of reckoning has arrived -- a GMC dealer is going to give me the deal I want on a 2002 Pewter Envoy SLT and I am hesitant!!! Will I be happy giving up my 99 VW Passat GLX? The build date of the SLT is 01/02, therefore will this truck have alot of the problems I read about on this board fixed? I have been anti-SUV -- am I defecting? I have not bought an American made automobile for over a decade -- it's good to buy American, right? The Pewter Metallic Envoy is beautiful, the two-tone leather interior is wonderful, the gadgetry is amazing -- tell me I will be happy with it and it will last!
  • mraumrau Member Posts: 50
    I have seen Wood Trim Kits listed on the Buick Rendevouz Town Hall list. Someone posted photos and where they got them from. I think it was a fairly recent post. Can't miss it though, lots of nice photos.
    Possibly they also have them for the Triplets too. (Of course the Envoy SLT won't need them.)
    It is ALWAYS good to buy American (that includes Canada). There is plenty of great cars right here.
    I have had my Envoy SLT for just 4 days, but I really like it. The ride/comfort is wonderful. It feels and looks solid. I believe it will hold up over the years.
    Making a $30,000+ purchase should always be a concern; but I think the value is there in the Envoy. Trust me, I am a sloooowww shopper but finally took the plunge. Got the Pewter one too!!

I don't believe there has been any recalls since 10/01, so anything built after that should be fine.
  • cmack4cmack4 Member Posts: 302
    Hi All! I just ordered a fully loaded 2002 Indigo Blue/Pewter leather Bravada AWD from my local Old's dealer and I'm totally psyched. This is the first GM vehicle that has ever really impressed me! I started looking at the Durango's and the Explorer's but they loose in nearly all categories of comparison... other than the third row! I was drawn into the lot by the Trailblazer's, since it was a Chevy/Old's dealer, but the Bravada was much more elegant in both looks and handling! I saw on this board that some people have had some trouble with paint chipping from the rear license plate area? What should I look for and how can I prevent it?
    Has anyone discussed the radio getting extremely hot? I have the standard TB radio w/CD & cassette. After about 45 minuted of driving time the front panel was extremely hot -- not just warm.

I finally saw what the paint problem is! Very stupid and annoying. My salesman had no idea what I was talking about.
    Thanks for giving me the benefit of your research and gut feelings on buying an Envoy -- it helps me in my decision making process.I do have a question for owners -- Do the vehicles have retained accessory power -- after the vehicle has been shut-off can you put the windows up/down (without having the key turned to accessory)? It is something I am use to and find helpful in cold New England winters, especially at gas stations. Thanks again. I must make the decision "to buy" by Monday and will post what happens!
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    Funits:

You can operate the windows using the retained accessorty power after shut off. I use it at the Sonic when picking up my food order.
    Yes. When you shut off the ignition you can still operate radio, overhead console, sunroof and windows for up to 20 minutes. When you open the door it will all shut off. I have to get used to still hearing the radio play after I shut off the car, but I think it will be a nice feature.
    Not sure if this is on all Envoy, but it is on the SLT.
  • quickdtooquickdtoo Member Posts: 266
    I think it's standard on all of the triplets, even the TB LS, nice feature! Tim
  • dyatesdyates Member Posts: 13
    I haven't floored the accelerator pedal on my Indigo Blue Bravada until yesterday. I wanted to behave during the 500 mile break in period.

However, I just wanted to let every one know that although the torque is available during normal driving, the Beast really comes alive on a full throttle start.
  • shapiro3shapiro3 Member Posts: 11
    Well, after looking at the Envoy and Bravada for about 4 months and reading all of the 3500+ postings on this site, I took the plunge on Friday night and bought an Envoy. The financing and rebate deal was too much to pass up. I got a Indigo Blue SLT 2WD with Lt. Oak Interior. It has the 1SH pkg, Sunroof, and running boards...every option except 4WD and DVD (I wanted the sunroof since I don't have kids and don't expect to be riding in the back :)

It will hit 1000 miles tomorrow and so far I love it. Besides the license frame paint issue and the sagging headliner it has no problems (it has a build date of 12/01). I know someone posted about their dealer getting a prototype gasket...any update to that? I told the dealer before the purchase about the problem and they assured me they would work with me to correct it. (My family has bought about 15 vehicles from them so I can trust them.) Also, what is the fix for the headliner? It is obviously held up by (not enough) velcro because when I push it up is slowing falls back down with that velcro sound.

Well, just got finished drying her off after her first bath and had to share my excitement!
  • pepper50pepper50 Member Posts: 195
    I looked at Envoys at a dealer today and noticed they all had pinstriping. As I looked around on the lot I noticed all the GMC pickups and Yukons did, too. Is this pinstriping standard or did this dealer do all that? It was not listed on the invoice as I recall, and certainly no charge for it. I don't particular like pinstriping, however. For those of you who have new Envoys, do they all have pinstriping? Thanks.
  • vindog45vindog45 Member Posts: 35
    does anyone have envoy ..color Medium Sage Green?....with Light Oak interior......RARE RARE!!!!!......would like to see one, or hear from someone that has one....can't find this color in whole New England area
  • varcabosvarcabos Member Posts: 3
    I have a Medium Sage Green Envoy SLT, but with the Dark Pewter Interior.

You are right about its rareness, I haven't seen another on the road yet. I really like the color, but it seems to show dirt pretty easily (especially with all the road salt here in the Chicagoland area). Or maybe that's me trying to keep my car looking new for as long as I can.

Regards,

Vic
  • boz151boz151 Member Posts: 11
    I have now experienced by first Bravada problem. The engine fan locked up for a whole day on Saturday. I seem to remember this as a common complaint on this board. Can someone remind me what the fix should be. Incidentally, it unlocked the next day and seems to be fine now. It sure saps the power from the engine when it's engaged though...I also have the floating mirror issues. It goes to the dealer on Thursday, hopefully a one day fix...any ideas?

Thanks.
    Boz
  • lbarterlbarter Member Posts: 6
    I have a pewter metallic Envoy and purchased the touchup paint part # 12378054
  • watchdog2watchdog2 Member Posts: 21
    Greetings lbarter,

Thank you for the requested information regarding the touch up paint.

watchdog2
    Thank you to everyone who posted about the retained accessory power. I have decided to buy an Envoy SLT 4WD, Pewter with Med. Pewter interior, S1H pkg., sunroof and running boards (although I am having the dealer remove the running boards, I do not like them). I pickup the vehicle tomorrow. I will check the headliner and the license plate area, although during my inspection of the vehicle at the dealer, I didn't see either of the problems -- I am keeping my fingers crossed!
  • hambone7hambone7 Member Posts: 130
    Within the past 6 weeks I have posted complaints about the recirculate button shutting down after 8 minutes. There wasn't much buzz about it except for a few stating they have the same issue. Well, my dealer found that it is due to a mechanical failure in the A/C system. A part is being overnighted to fix the problem. So, if your recirc button shuts down after 8 minutes, then you are affected. I'm crossing my fingers that this will correct the problem. I'll post again after they replace the parts.
  • hambone7hambone7 Member Posts: 130
    I complained again to my dealer about missing front seat bracket covers. They again said that all TB have missing covers. I showed them 4 new TBs on their lot that have all 8 covers. They promptly ordered two covers for me for the inside brackets.

Whew, I spent too much time addressing these stupid little plastic covers...

If I get a part number, I'll post it for those of you who want them but can't get your dealer to buy them for you.
  • nedculvernedculver Member Posts: 7
    Anyone know if the GMC insignia on the front of the Envoy can be removed (a la the old Isuzus)? My wife is considering buying one, and this seems to be an issue. I haven't gotten close enough to look!
    Also, what's the scuttlebutt on the new three seater? Is it really 16" longer?
    (New to the board)
    Ned
  • macman246macman246 Member Posts: 118
    Has anyone noticed coolant dripping down the rear edge of the right front wheel well? My coolant level was above Cold-Full when I got it from the factory, and I think Jiffy Lube may have topped it off last month.

Anyway, I located the overflow tube at the rear of the coolant tank, followed the tube down through the frame, and found it stops just above where it enters the frame, after crawling underneath with a flashlight and mirror. Seems like a long way for the coolant to drip on to the ground. Instead, it's running down the wheel well cover on the inside, then seaping towards the edge and running down that.

I'm wondering if this is a safety issue since it would not be good for the coolant to get on the brakes. What do you all think? I know I know, take some coolant out.
  • bwilletbwillet Member Posts: 11
    How much above Full Cold was it? If it was significantly overfull from the factory, the fluid expansion may have just pushed the extra coolant out without Jiffy Lube even touching it.

Rather than the safety issue I'd be more concerned if Jiffy Lube topped it off in the first place. Issue #1 - did they open the radiator cap (it's recommended to leave the system sealed until you have to totally change the coolant), and Issue # 2 - did they use DexCool? If they didn't, you should probably have the system flushed and refilled, preferably at Jiffy Lube's expense. I caught an oil change place about to put normal coolant in my Dex-Cool equipped Grand Prix once, and wasn't happy.

Just thought I'd share my concerns...
  • stefanojstefanoj Member Posts: 2
    I purchased my Envoy SLT back in Oct. however, due to work, I have had little time to drive it. Now that I have had a chance to put it through its paces (4500 mi), here are my problems. (Thanks to those who have posted some of the fixes)

1. Wondering mirrors (Known fix post 3302)
    2. Child Safety Latch on rear door was disconnected and the door could not be opened from the outside with the switch in either position. (Dealer fixed without a problem)
    3. 2wd/AWD/4WD shifting problem (Exact problem as the 3335 post from charlesp1 - Is there a known fix for this?)
    4. OnStar has not activate the personal calling feature, even after 4 months and 5 customer service calls (Not yet resolved, but an OnStar not a GMC issue)

***5. While in drive and with the brake applied I can hear and feel a loud knock coming from the rear of the truck. The first time I heard this I actually turned around to see if someone had hit me from behind. This is occurring more frequently and happens at least once every time I take my truck out. Has anyone else experienced this and/or know of a resolution?

Any input on these issues would be much appreciated.

Even with the problems I am experiencing, I LOVE the truck. As long as GM remains responsive to these issues, I would recommend the Envoy to anyone looking for a SUV!!
  • vindog45vindog45 Member Posts: 35
    what is oldsmobile loyalty money.....how does one qualify......someone on here says they got extra 1,000 dollars off when buying GMC Envoy....anybody?
  • citizenpain35citizenpain35 Member Posts: 3
    As long as I can remember, GM has always offered an additional rebate of about $500 during the Autoshow here in Chicago (mid-February). Anyone know if they are planning the same this year? Did they do it this year in the autoshow markets - Detroit, L.A., etc.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
    What exactly are these, and how will I know if I am missing them?

Thanks.
  • tlaurotlauro Member Posts: 504
    The $1,000 loyalty money is actually $1,500 if you buy another Olds.

GM took a long list of people who bought new Oldsmobiles and sent them a check for $1,500 towards the buy or lease of a new olds or $1,000 towards any other GM product, excluding a few here and there of course.

I got one for my wifes 2000 Alero and used it on my Trailblazer. Believe it was good for five years.

tim
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    New to the board

Welcome aboard! We hope to hear a lot more from you!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • richardcoulsonrichardcoulson Member Posts: 88
    Macman246, radiator fluid is sweet tasting and very toxic. Your pets will lap it up and there won't be much you can do to save them.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Boy, lots of rebate and incentive questions today. Maybe this link will help.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    I went to the Detroit Auto Show and it was great. Got to see the new XL version of the Envoy. Looked OK, but I am not a fan of the third seat. However it did feel very comfortable to sit in.
    No Rebates were offered by GM after the show. Chrysler offered an 'AfterGlow" (after the auto show) deal of match your downpayment up to $1000. I think it was a cheap way they could show a $2000 down on a new Chrysler...half the money was yours.

Hope that helps.
  • mcmathmcmath Member Posts: 7
    Is there any information about the factory installed DVD system? Does anybody have this option? if so, how well does it work? Thanks
  • mfullmermfullmer Member Posts: 773
    I also have had that problem with my Bravada. What it feels like is delayed downshifting as mine usually "bumps" when I am stopped after being in 3rd gear and cold and it does it twice. It does feel exactly like someone is nudging you from behind. Of course I have an absolutely useless dealer that marks "unable to duplicate problem" on EVERY single item I take it in for, including those that they fix.

By the way, how does one get in touch (e-mail/phone) with a customer rep? I have looked all over the GM website but cannot find anything. My dealer looks at me with discust every time I mention this board in reference to the problems. Of course there are very few Olds dealers in my area and I cannot take it to a Chevy/GMC dealer for warranty work until the Olds. places close.

Please help!
  • c2h6oc2h6o Member Posts: 32
    I have the DVD option on my TB LTZ. Pretty nice system - the headphones are fairly comfortable and the sound is good. The picture quality is nice too (considering it's a flat screen monitor). I just wish there was an option to pump the sound out of the car speakers (or at least the rear speakers). My son is only a year old, so there's no way he's going to wear the headphones. So there's no built-in way for him to hear the sound on his videos during long trips.

Also, unfortunately, as the driver, I don't get to watch any DVDs!

-Jason
  • billsoterbillsoter Member Posts: 49
    I have a new Bravada with the Bose audio and in-dash CD changer. The CD button reads CD/AUX. Does anyone know what the AUX is there for? Is there an AUX input somewhere in the system?
  • bryancosbryancos Member Posts: 282
  • bryancosbryancos Member Posts: 282
    Jason,
    Remind me NOT to drive in front of you if you're trying to watch DVDs while you drive! :) There was a post a while back regarding the use of an FM modulator (arkon soundfeeder --www.arkon.com) to put the audio out over the vehicle's stereo system. (Set the FADE to REAR since I doubt you want to listen to "Blues Clues" while you're driving...