Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• Options
    vegoenvegoen Member Posts: 82
    Does anyone but me feel that if I am going to pay a premium price for the WRX I should have better workmanship in the interior.

Specificly, I want a better sound system for 25 grand, better quality built head deck, and sterring wheel, and why not leather shift knob?

Bottom line I feel I dont get my money's worth
  • Options
    himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    You're paying for hardware, not interior appointments, with the WRX. Think of it as "function over form."

If you want a car that performs like the WRX and coddles you, pony up $40K for the S4.
  • Options
    Good point, you think I can upgrade the speakers and sound?

Can anyone give me their thoughts on the outcome of a WRX vs a 1999 grand prix GT 210hp 3800 series engine
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    They're almost opposites. I think Pontiacs are truly sporty, they just tack on enough spoilers to make a few people think they are. It's heavy and big, so don't expect that engine to be fast, though torque is decent.

The 6CD+cassette on the WRX is fine for non-audiophiles. Sounds like you'd only be happy with the Macintosh in the VDC, though. I'd go aftermarket for speakers first, then maybe XM or Sirius for the head unit. Or add an iPod to the stock unit, those are cool.

-juice
  • Options
    I feel so dumb talking about sound when u can get the sound upgrade with sub and amp, damn forget that then I like subaru now :) yea call it what u want Im just an idiot
  • Options
    ok im gettin the 2003 wrx, what is the safety rating? I dont know how the cage is made, but I know that the new maximas is very stable, its really well built steel, does that go for a smaller wrx frame?
  • Options
    http://www.crashtest.com/subaru/index.htm

Solid results, IMO. IIHS gives is a "Best Pick" designation.

Where is really shines is in active safety, i.e. accident avoidance.

Get the door tweeters, they make a noticeable difference, I've heard. Most other stereo stuff you'll get more of your money's worth in the after market.

-juice
  • Options
    prayerforprayerfor Member Posts: 161
    vegoen --

himiler is right -- with the WRX you are sacrificing some creature comforts and style in favor of all-out performance. If you're interested in a more balanced combination of features and performance (and it seems as though you are), then the WRX isn't a real good choice.

You can have it all in a $40K car like the S4. For $25K, you can have all the performance but less style in the WRX, or most of the style and less performance in any of several vehicles.
  • Options
    dsattlerdsattler Member Posts: 135
    You say 25 grand for a WRX, but you can get one for $22k easily, at least a 2003. Throw another $1,000 into an aftermarket sound system and some sound deadening, and you've still got a bargain screamer. Best part: when it rains you don't have to slow down!
  • Options
    robmarchrobmarch Member Posts: 482
    I'm having a hard time taking your posts seriously. Your posts have a condescending tone, and are full of bizarre statements. You think the Mazda 6 is more tunable than the WRX? You state that the WRX is slower than a Mustang, but then change the comparison to a Supra TT when the facts show? You live in Chicago, and there are no Mazda or Subaru dealers?

If you're sold on the Mazda 6, congratulations. We're not here to attack that car, and if it meets your wishes and needs, enjoy it. It's certainly getting good reviews in the FWD midsized sedan category. The Accord is a very natural competitor to the 6, so I'd drive both before you finalize your decision.

to answer your latest question...you can pick up a WRX for 21k right now. There are exactly 0 cars that match the overall performance of the WRX for 21k. If you widen your search to include cars that cost a little more, but perform nearly as well, you will find comparable interiors. Better interiors at this price point require large performance losses.

The WRX interior is sporty, simple, and has good ergonomics. It's not a luxury car with a coddling interior, it's a sports sedan/wagon with grippy seats, leather wheel and shift knob, and well spaced pedals. If you're looking for a luxury sedan with power and a large back seat, it's probably not your best choice. If you're looking for a well balanced sports sedan and are happy with BMW 3-series rear seat room, it's the best of the bunch, at this price point.

The car has leather wheel and shift knob, indash 6-cd changer, and has good workmanship inside, even if you don't like the materials. All for considerably less than 25k, which is hardly a "premium" price.

Again, if you like the interior, back seat room and style of the 6 better, and don't need the better acceleration and handling of the WRX, go for it.

Have fun picking your car out...I'd be test driving as many as possible just for fun :)
  • Options
    sonya4sonya4 Member Posts: 92
    Vegoen--Yep, test-drive, test-drive, test-drive!!

I liked the 350Z when I test-drove it (just for fun) but boy, there is so little room for anything other than 2 people and a duffle bag /golf bag. It's very smooth though. Interior is so-so.

I've heard good reports about the M6, for a FWD car. The Accord is always a favorite for many. Pontiacs aren't bad either for the price, just check them out carefully, some aren't that reliable.

By the way I also live in the Chicagoland area, and there are plenty of Mazda dealers around, and some Subarus. You need to look them up and make the commitment to go find them if they're not near you.

--sonya
  • Options
    twrxtwrx Member Posts: 647
    On the safety issue. You can't beat a Subaru. Not only do they pass the insurance industry tests with the best ratings but they are great in the real world. Last year there was a post on iClub from a guy who was driving a WRX sedan at 80 mph. on a race track, slid into the grass, had a wheel dig in and flipped the car several feet into the air and then rolled it over several times. If there had been back seat passengers they might have had problems because the roof was partially collapsed at the back but the front seat area was perfect and the driver walked away with only bruises.
    TWRX
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    Fitzmall has '03 WRX's for ~$21-22k...look here: http://www.fitzmall.com/carfind/resultsa.asp?mode=NEW&lstMake- =SUBARU|IMPREZA

-Brian
  • Options
    snead_csnead_c Member Posts: 64
    Please refrain from hints at foul language. We are all guests here and need to be sensitive to all members.
    I suggest you take a deep breath and count to ten...if you still have anger wait till you cool off before you write.
    Have a nice day.
  • Options
    redkey1redkey1 Member Posts: 270
    You are looking at MSRP. Most cars do not sell for MSRP, in the case of a 2003 WRX you should be looking at invoice prices. Go up to the top of this page click the blue tab marked new cars and make your way to the subaru wrx. You can build and price your car how you like and get msrp, invoice and true market value prices.

In all seriousness I think you need to read some of the advice articles on this site. It is obvious that you are not that well informed when it comes to car pricing (invoice vs msrp pricing)and it would benefit you to educate yourself to save a bit of money. We are trying to help you, but you are all over the place and you did say that it was easier to mod a Mazda.

#8735 of 8787 And by vegoen Mar 31, 2003 (4:41 pm)
    And I wanna attract the ladies, so I can modify my M6 cheaper then the WRX.
  • Options
    neekofabneekofab Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2003 WRX Friday and got invoice pricing no problem, no hassle.

With dealer holdback and dealer cash back, they should be more than happy to sell at invoice (invoice for options too).
  • Options
    Veogen - in addition subaru is offering $750 cash back plus 2.9% financing for 60 months. The M6 w/ a v6 is going to run you full msrp plus standard financing. They do have 3.9 / 60 mo on the 4cyl.
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I think the miata and protege have more mods available than the subies. Mostly cause they have more out on the road.

Also I'd get the miata or protege for racing just cause they are cheaper to fix up.

-mike
  • Options
    Which is a brand new model.
  • Options
    I agree redkey, not to mention it's a FORD engine anyway.

-mike
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Don't say, 'it's a Ford engine' on the '6 board...that might get you killed. :) They say it's not because most of it was reworked by Mazda. Ok, whatever...
  • Options
    $21,669 if you follow Brian's link. And that price includes freight. We paid that exact advertised price when we bought our 2002 Legacy at that exact dealership. No gimmicks.

Ford block, but Mazda re-engineered it enough that they're really only getting the block itself from Ford. It has S-VT, which the Duratecs don't have. I heard they're not using Ford trannies, but JATCO instead.

Still, I'd wait and see. MSRP is overpriced, wait 'til the 6 reaches invoice prices, and by then you'll also have at least preliminary reliability info.

-juice
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    http://www.carsdirect.com for the 60631 area (Chicago zip code) is listing '03 WRX's at ~$22k.

FWIW,
    -Brian
  • Options
    kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    You can get a 2000 and maybe a 2001 3-series (323) for under $25K.

Here you will get the interior you desire, as well as handling.

It will not be as fast as a WRX, but will still be a fun car to drive, has the new body style, and will have exactly what you want -

1. Attracts the Ladies
    2. Nice interior
  • Options
    If you need a car to attract the ladies, then you're shopping in the wrong class there too.. :)
  • Options
    Stick with the 323i and not the 318i because the former has a straight-6 engine that is smoother and quicker. I think they had 170hp for the first few model years. It's actually a 2.5l, even though they name implies otherwise.

The 1.8l made about 140hp, not very competitive with anything.

-juice
  • Options
    Jetta's a chick car, they drive them and are attracted to them for some reason. I don't know why, it's just a car...
  • Options
    dgraves1dgraves1 Member Posts: 414
    juice - I'm pretty sure the latest 3 series (E46s) were not offered with the four cylinder engine in the US. I don't think BMW sells a four cylinder car at all in the US anymore.
  • Options
    I think he meant a used Bimmer. The 323 hasn't been offered for a couple of years now. They changed the name to 325 once the bigger engine upped displacement in the 330.

-juice
  • Options
    dgraves1dgraves1 Member Posts: 414
    Yes, he was talking about 2000-2001 which is an E46. They still used the 323 name at that time. The 325 name came back in 2002. I think the last year for the 318s was 1998.
  • Options
    honwrxhonwrx Member Posts: 5
    I'm jazzed just bought a wrx 3/17/03 -I'm over 1,000 I got it for true market value (no dealer fees)is a extended warranty recommended
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    You sure took the long long loooonnnng way home. ;-)

Congratulations!!!

Color? Options?...

-Dave
  • Options
    I see what you mean. I was just suggesting he avoid the 318, no matter what model year.

Scott: how many miles per year do you drive? What's your tolerance level for small problems? Do you have backup transportation or does your dealer offer a loaner car?

-juice
  • Options
    red-spoiler,aircleaner,alarm it had 75mi I had a honda cvic -Dave
  • Options
    juice: what are u talking about - 15,000 mi a yr what problms
  • Options
    The AWD in the WRX, peeling out alot, and speeding in slippery weather, wouldnt that ruin it and it wont work as long? and as good?

the wrx with premium package still amounts to 25,225
  • Options
    jmgregory5jmgregory5 Member Posts: 48
    vegoen, I know you mentioned you are in the 20-25 age bracket, but your questions sound more like what a 12 year old would ask. Is this the case?

I don't know if anyone on this board should be answering questions (not written like questions) such as "the awd in the wrx, peeling out a lot, and speeding in slippery weather..."

What is the premium package you refer to? You still have not looked at what dealers are actually asking for the wrx have you? Of course you haven't - that would actually make sense.

This will be the last time I post a reply to any comments or questions by you. I refuse to waste any more of my time.

John
  • Options
    I gave up on any responses as he's clearly here to troll...

-mike
  • Options
    corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    If he's buying a WRX I think I'm going to buy something else.
  • Options
    Call a dealer and tell them you'll pay $25k for a loaded WRX, they'll bring one to you to test drive.
  • Options
    might be tricky.
  • Options
    prayerforprayerfor Member Posts: 161
    You should be looking at a Schwinn vegoen
  • Options
    I asked those things because an extended warranty covers you if you don't have a backup car and need a loaner whenever repairs are being done. If your tolerance for problems is low, again the Subaru Gold warranty would be a good idea. Plus you get roadside assistance, towing to the dealer, etc.

If you are mechanically inclined, crank up the tunes when you hear a squeek or rattle, have a spare car, your brother has a tow truck, etc, then the extended warranty is a waste.

vegoen: not a good idea to try to spin the tires with AWD, you've got 4 tires fighting with the drivetrain trying to break something, probably the clutch or tranny first.

If you want tire spin go with FWD and an open differential, those spin with ease.

-juice
  • Options
    Thats what i mean, in a case when you are racing someone, your forcing AWD to work real hard so in a sense is there a way to wear it out? Same thing goes in snowy weather, if you have a heavy foot on slippery roads can't you ruin your drive train then?
  • Options
    kills parts.

Street racing kills people.

I'm not sure which you were implying, but aggressive driving will wear out parts faster on any car. driving on snowy or slippery roads is probably easier on the drivetrain, if you're going to try to spin your tires, though.
  • Options
    with the impreza i wont be able to go off road cause the drive train is not 4x4, so allwheel drive is only good for slippery weather... am i right?
  • Options
    Ground clearance is your primary limitation. No, don't expect to go off road.

While the WRX is fast, it's not a one-trick pony car. Pardon the pun. It's about speed, but with control, not tire spinning. Although snow is fine, Subaru's market share in Vermont is 14 times what it is in Florida, and that's not a coincidence.

Get a one year old Camaro V8, since they depreciate like a rock falling off a cliff, if you want a 1/4 mile drag car.

-juice
  • Options
    yea i figured that, but now im thinking if I really need a speedy car like the wrx?

The only reason to is to have the thrill of showing it off when your friend sits next to you.

And since Im a high rpm shifter Ill probably get a ton of speeding tickets.

So anyone recommend any coupe type wrx cars?
  • Options
    himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    Why not consider the 2.5RS instead? It'll be cheaper to buy, run and own, there are plenty of aftermarket performance and dress-up parts available, and you've still got the benefits of AWD.

Just because it's not the WRX, don't think you can't get away from more powerful cars on a wet (or dry!), twisty road while driving one. Driven with skill, the RS is a bullet, too.
  • Options
    manavimanavi Member Posts: 150
    I'm not big on the new Accord sedan, but I think the Accord coupe look's really nice. That's what I would suggest for you.

It apparently has a very nice interior, a nice exterior, Honda reliability, runs on regular unleaded gas, a 6 cylinder engine. I think it fits all of your criteria.
This discussion has been closed.