Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Postwar Studebakers

Comments

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,236

I think a M-B temporary display, or even one car for permanent display (knowing they have space limitations) would be totally appropriate. I don't know why it hasn't happened yet, and I think it would draw people who might not otherwise visit. I want to say I once threw the idea out to the archivist I know there, who's been there a good number of years, and he seemed to agree.

I felt a bit bad when I saw your pics from your museum visit a few years back. Whatever their temporary display was, I can't recall, but it seems like a good number of Studes had been moved out for it. A Citroen on the turntable? Almost unforgivable! LOL I seem to remember a nice car in basement storage that was pretty dusty with a rag on it. They usually do soooo much better than that there.

The current 'special' display was Studebaker Presidents, starting with about '30 and going to '58. Someone had recently donated a '58 President Hardtop. I don't love those cars but it is an attractive roofline and the example they have is about a perfect one.

I bet between MBCA chapters in Chicago and Indy, there would be more than enough for a full model line from the late 50s and early 60s.

Maybe the car you are thinking of is the prototype next to the Hawk? Didn't bug me:

I don't remember what the special display was when I was there. Looking at my pics, there was a display of non-Studes - a Mini, Beetle, Mustang Model T, 1st gen Caravan etc - maybe milestone cars.
  • Options
    uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,156
    I gotta say, I think their Packard Hawk is the prettiest one I've ever seen.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • Options
    Someone just posted this pic from the museum's site, on FB. The president's office back in the day--I'd say way-before Egbert--and the way it looked this past Friday.

2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • Options
    edited June 2023

Friend sent me his pic of the funky early ‘60’s bathroom in the Egbert’s living quarters.

• Options
    The lower bank of lights is pretty unique, I guess one could say.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    When the lady turned those lights on, it was retina-searing to say the least.

That bathroom is definitely designed with a lady in mind, or by a lady.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,150
    I actually like that design, although I would have to replace all of the lighting. The lower row of bulbs in particular seems hazardous.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options

Loving this ‘64. From FB.

• Options
    edited June 2023
    I love the plain bodysides outlined in chrome, a la '61 and later Continentals. No clutter, fake vents/scoops, etc., below the beltline.

That one has reclining seats, nice feature not offered on many domestics at the time. They reclined the whole way down.
  • Options
    Because browsers spy, whenever I log into fb it has suggestions and material for me, and it suggest Charles Phoenix videos now and then. He recently did one featuring Studes:

https://fb.watch/l5HUKMnUkf/
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 7,008
    Charles is a mess. I do enjoy his videos, I know..

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    Thanks for sharing, I hadn't seen it.

I used to not be able to stand Charles, but I find him mildly amusing now. He certainly IS enthusiastic!

You know me, in old cars, I'm largely about authenticity, and that red Hawk had several non-authentic details that made me twitch, LOL. The white '64 next to it looks better to me, but then I know white doesn't photograph like red does. I don't care for the metal decklid overlay trim on the '62 and '63, which covered up the ribbed trunlid used since '56 on Hawks. I like the smooth, denuded '64 decklid, as in the silver car above.
  • Options
    Stolen from FB today. I like the picture.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Shared in a group I frequent - never seen a setup like this before:

• Options
    That was a one-off, shown at car shows in '65 by Studebaker.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Woman on FB just posted this pic of her car. I love it. Optional headrests too.

A compact sedan that's formal in profile.

No, the "LARK" letters aren't missing on the front fenders....Studebaker didn't consider the Cruiser a 'Lark'. :) Still had the Lark 'bird' in the center of the steering wheel though. Rear-door vent windows open.

'63 Cruiser

• Options
    That year was peak "Mercedes Bends" right?
  • Options
    I think so.
  • Options
    Make mine with disc brakes, broadcloth interior option, and Skytop sunroof.
  • Options
    Were the hubcaps always trimmed in white?
  • Options
    Yes, the '63 full wheel disks all had the white band on them.

Seems like I see a fair number of '63's with the all-bright-with-red-center '62 wheel covers on them, but you know me, I like original.
  • Options
    Did Stude ever do body colored wheelcover trim?
  • Options
    No, they did not. I did see a photo of a '63 outside the South Bend plant, with a black car with black wheel cover band, but the owner must've done that himself.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,177
    edited June 2023
    1950 Studebaker. I wish it had been a 2 or 4 door model rather than the Starlight.
    I realize many are fascinated by them, but I just don't care much for them.

The button on the floor below the clutch is the headlight dimming switch IRIC.
    If I recall correctly from driving ours, there should be a starter button that the clutch
    pedal hits when it's pushed allthe way to the floor. I didn't think of that at the time or
    I would have tried to get that in the picture.

Also the small chrome pieces under the headlamps I assume are added on
    turn signals. I noted the turn signal lever on the dash.

The hub caps with spats look close to the Studebaker originals sans the
    ripples in the depressed area near the circumference of the caps.

This was at a show that has good quality cars.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    edited June 2023
    Thanks, those are excellent, detail shots.

I always assumed those were just optional fender moldings--I have seen them before--but your pic does indeed make it look like there's a lens in the front of them. I'll have to dig into that some.

The one-piece curved windshield was still a thing not seen throughout the industry in the '50 model year.

UPDATE: Oh, you mean the lights under the headlights. I did a bad job of reading! Those are definitely turn signals.
  • Options
    thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,221
    Very nice. I like the Stude shot glass on the tranny hump. 😄 I’m assuming the lever on the left side with the green end is the turn signal stalk.

I really like the red Opel GT next to it. I was a huge Opel fan back in the early 70’s. From stories I have heard about their reliability, I’m glad I didn’t get one.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Is this the correct OEM hubcap? This picture
    shows the indentations really well.

• Options
    Bullet nose Studes always make me think of Muppets - Fozzie's car:

• Options
    Those are the correct hubcaps for a '50. Also, Fozzie's Stude is owned by the Studebaker National Museum currently.

While Studebaker made its record one-year-profit of all time in 1959, the number of units sold in 1950 was the greatest of any year.
  • Options
    Which hub caps are correct? The Maui Blue Land Cruiser 4-door with the ripples in the edge or the ones of the Aero Blue Champion with a smooth perimeter flat edge without the ripples?

These are what I figured was turn signals added on. I have never noticed these
    on any other car.

• Options
    I was thinking the Land Cruiser's were correct, but I really don't know the '50 model well enough to comment. The Land Cruiser looks like it has Ontario plates. There were sometimes differences in trim, including wheel covers, between domestic and Canadian Studebakers over the years.
  • Options
    edited July 2023

Clearing out some stuff and just sold this piece to a guy from Oregon. I’ve never seen another one. Think I got it from an old friend who worked at Avanti in the late eighties.

• Options
    edited July 2023

Trying to sell this online too; a little harder sell. Has the name of the guy at Stude to whom it belonged, stamped on it.

• Options
    u tube channel ‘What’s it Like’ did a nice review on a red 64 Daytona R-1 convertible. He also provided a brief history of Studebaker. @uplanderguy, your observations and ‘corrections’ will be interesting.

• Options
    Thanks for sharing; I hadn't seen it.

I like '64 Daytona convertibles. My 84-year-old friend Ed owns one, and my hometown dealer sold a red one with black interior and 4-speed according to records I saw at the Studebaker National Museum archives. Its whereabouts are unknown (but being in NW PA, I have a hunch).

First, those wide whitewalls assault my senses! I'd immediately have to change that. The rest of the car is quite nice. The air cleaner on R1 engines wasn't chrome as on this car, but brushed bright metal. I can live with that. :)

He says he thought the console was added. That is a factory '64 Studebaker console in the car.

He says the "Studebaker plant" was sold to Kaiser-Jeep. Not true. Only the Studebaker truck plant, away from the main plant which was in downtown South Bend, was sold to Kaiser-Jeep. It was a couple miles south of the main plant.

He shows 36K 1964 Studebakers built, although for decades, the club's historian has said 44K.

There were 8,947 1966 Studebakers built, not 6,000 as he says.

He says the R3 and R4 high-performance engines were only available in Avantis. Not true; they were available in any Studebaker. Nine R3's were installed by the factory in Avantis, and only one in a Commander two-door sedan, which survives in restored condition. No R4's were factory installed in any Studebakers, but were for sale separately through Andy Granatelli's Paxton Products Div. of Studebaker, later.

Still, the guy does a good overall job. I enjoyed watching it, and again, thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    I was leafing through what's left of Classic Car that just came.

I noticed a 1963 Gran Turismo Hawk is featured in a golden brown owned by
    Mike Fleek.

• Options

I was leafing through what's left of Classic Car that just came.

You referring to Hemmings Classic Car?

I don’t like the changes they’ve made. It needed a shot in the arm, but they’ve made some odd decisions.

• Options
    I let my subscription lapse some months ago.
  • Options
    When they changed the masthead and graphic design (I think that was in April) it disappointed me but even worse were the oddball features about hot-rodding Model Ts that were just sloppily written and an inappropriate topic for the magazine. The next month they had a cover feature about some SoCal artist who did custom paint jobs on 911s that made me feel the same. It has continued to some extent ever since although I will say the last couple of issues seem to be more on topic. What annoyed me was in the last two issues the letters section was full of letters from people saying how those issues were the bestest thing ever which struck me as either very selective or downright bogus. Since there were zero letters with other opinions I have my doubts about them.

• Options
    ab348 said:

It has continued to some extent ever since although I will say the last couple of issues seem to be more on topic.

What annoyed me was in the last two issues the letters section was full of letters from people saying how those issues were the bestest thing ever which struck me as either very selective or downright bogus. Since there were zero letters with other opinions I have my doubts about them.

I noticed the same thing about the letters. Also some of the articles I suspected were reruns from other Hemmings sources. I believe the article on the Continental Mark series made me think that in the last issue.

I even wondered if the Studebaker article in the current issue was a "previously viewed" article.

• Options
    They lost/let go a number of their writers over the last while. Some of them went with former editor Lentinello over to his new "Crankshaft" magazine which is not distributed up here and so I haven't seen it. I didn't think losing Lentinello was all that bad TBH but maybe he was good to his writers, I dunno. They are in a bit of a tough place as many of the writers and columnists they had are aging out and I would guess it is difficult to find new ones with credible knowledge of older cars who can also write well. I thought Milton Stern was a good new voice who wrote interesting items but he went over to Lentinello's side.

• Options
    Sold my '66 Cruiser to a Stude parts vendor in FL and this is it going on the truck out front of our house Thursday evening around 5:45 pm. Saturday morning I heard from the buyer that it had been delivered to Alachua, FL already.

I'll miss it, but that allows me some more $$ to put towards the C8 I have on order which is supposed to be built next month.

• Options
    ab348 said:

They lost/let go a number of their writers over the last while. Some of them went with former editor Lentinello over to his new "Crankshaft" magazine which is not distributed up here and so I haven't seen it. I didn't think losing Lentinello was all that bad TBH but maybe he was good to his writers, I dunno. They are in a bit of a tough place as many of the writers and columnists they had are aging out and I would guess it is difficult to find new ones with credible knowledge of older cars who can also write well. I thought Milton Stern was a good new voice who wrote interesting items but he went over to Lentinello's side.

I looked at a couple of issues of Crankshaft after it came out: thanks to the copies at the bookseller. Not something I would pay $15 per issue for IIRC the pricing then.

I'll have to look at the various mags offered again with a visit to B&N. Maybe I'll see something I actually want. Classic Car isn't doing it, despite their having a Studebaker in it this issue.

• Options
    I still enjoy Collectible Automobile. It isn’t cheap but it is every other month so it’s not so bad.

• Options
    Does Collectible Automobile still print the occasional special edition? I remember them doing that in the past as well as printing an Index of past issues.

• Options
    Haven’t seen any specials recently. They have their index of articles online.

• Options
    edited August 2023

I'll check it out.

• Options
    On 'CBS Sunday Morning' today was a segment about an acclaimed young author from South Bend and her book "The Rabbit Hutch". The first one minute and forty-five seconds of the segment is news footage from the closure of Studebaker in December 1963--pretty amazing footage I'd never seen before:

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/writer-tess-gunty-on-the-rabbit-hutch/
  • Options
    More direct link to the short video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgil7z23SQc
  • Options
    Interesting Stude link - I was reading a story in the latest MBCA "The Star" magazine on famed MB designer Bruno Sacco as he approaches his 90th birthday (responsible for virtually all MB designs from the 80s to early 00s along with influencing some 70s material - lots of landmark material), and he credited the ~1950 Loewy Studebakers as what inspired him to become a designer.