Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Postwar Studebakers

Comments

• Options
    uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,178
    edited December 2023
    Last U.S.-built Stude off the regular production line in South Bend built 60 years ago today. Compact '64 Daytona Hardtop:

2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • Options
    edited January 1
    1962 US Steel ad. Who'da thunk, 62 years later, it wouldn't be U.S.-owned anymore?

BTW, I would L-O-V-E that red Hawk today.

2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,265
    Nippon Steel apparently. BTTF Part II is coming true.

Funny that those 1962 models are roughly the same age now as that curved dash Olds was then.
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 7,013
    fintail said:

Nippon Steel apparently. BTTF Part II is coming true.

Funny that those 1962 models are roughly the same age now as that curved dash Olds was then.

wow

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    fin, that indeed is sobering!
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,181
    I'm jealous. That's a museum I'd love to visit. Enjoy.
    Pictures?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    edited January 4
    I'll post some when I get home next week. Caution--I'm in lust with that red '64 that was last off the line so I'll probably have to take at least one of it, LOL.

I can't recall if you've ever said if you've been to Auburn or not, but not a bad drive from central Ohio. The Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg Museum is absolutely awesome. I can't use enough superlatives.

I love the Studebaker National Museum, and am a member there, but it's dwarfed by the A-C-D Museum.
  • Options
    Helen Mirren as Golda Meir. I'm loving the Rose Mist '63 Cruiser, my favorite four-door Studebakers, period.

'65 Chrysler Newport also in photo.

• Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,738
    That photo baffles me: what kind of airplane is that? I know of no airliner with four engines, two to a pod under each wing.
  • Options
    Good question on the plane; I have no idea.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 243,198

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,738

Thanks! I agree with the person who asked why they bothered making up a fictional plane for a docu-drama. Odd.

• Options
    thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,221

@uplanderguy, thanks for posting the pics. I love that Champ pickup. So cool and a midsize truck at a time that didn’t exist.

2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • Options
    Also visited the Early Ford V8 ('32 to '53) Museum in Auburn, IN, on the way home from South Bend. We stayed overnight in South Bend at the Avanti House, right across from the museum, which was fun. Every wall is covered with Studebaker memorabilia.

The Early Ford V8 Museum is definitely worth a stop. Not pictured is a long wall full of old Ford toys, primarily F1 trucks and all subsequent iterations.

This old Continental makes me think of "Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?".

• Options
    edited January 18
    Wow. A Tudor 1950 in black and 3rd away from it one has the eyebrow sunscreen that was commong on cars in that early 1950 era. I learned to drive a car in my brother's white 1950 at 12 maybe 13. You put it in 2nd, and let out slowly on the clutch and it usually would start moving. That flathead V8 was hard to kill.

You could continue in 2nd gear for most country road driving on gravel roads. He had an overdrive installed. I suspect the overdrive could be activated and lower the gear ratio slower motor revs.

• Options
    I'm still enamored with the '49-51 Fords. What a clean-sheet design....simple and no separate fenders, front or back. I always think that simple styling ages best. I was told that when I was born we had a black '50 Ford Custom Fordor with yellow wheels, but it was soon traded in for a '56 Chevy Two-Ten two-door sedan, gray and white two-tone and full wheel covers, six with stick, that I can remember as we had it until 1964.
  • Options
    I wished I had visited the early V8 museum when I was there, but I somehow didn't have time. Maybe on another trip. My dad was an old Ford fan, so I am familiar with most of those cars.

Here's a Stude pic I don't think I have seen before - RFK campaigning for his brother in 1960, sitting on a Lark and resting his feet on an apparent 60 Starliner:

• Options
    edited January 18
    I've seen that pic, but not in color. The Lark is also a '60.

That is a '60 Stude color, amazingly.

I wonder if both those cars were rentals. I want to say, (a) I know you're a Kennedy, but get your feet off the Ford and (b), most people don't sit on new cars.

No radio in the Lark, LOL.
  • Options
    I always thought the inside mirror on '59 and '60 Larks looks like a breadstick, LOL.
  • Options
    Probably my favorite '64 Stude magazine ad
  • Options
  • Options
    Black on an Avanti is quite rare. In fact, it was discontinued and replaced with gray for awhile, before it was reintroduced. Thanks for posting.
  • Options
    That posted Avanti is actually a Hemmings sale listing. In the pictures with the listing,
    I noticed the interior roof is a ribbed material.
    Very interesting.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/listing/1963-studebaker-avanti-annville-pa-2741025

• Options
    I'm thinking that ribbed headliner is not factory original/correct.

Two unique Avanti items are visible in that pic--the padded roll bar, and the three overhead switches.
  • Options
    Watching Barrett-Jackson on Wednesday evening, I saw a ‘54 Stude Commander station wagon in sort of a crimson/burgundy color. Looked really cool. The hammer fell at $73.7K, and I don’t know if that was outrageous or not. But since most of the B-J cars are way overvalued, I suspect it was. Not surprisingly, there are only 4 Stude cars & 1 horse drawn wagon in the auction. I hope the pic is visible to you.

• Options
    Thank you! That is big $$ for that car IMHO. I'd like it better not lowered (prefer original looks). But those are nice-looking two-door Stude wagons IMHO.
  • Options
    Some kind of resto-mod?
  • Options
    edited January 28
    Yes, but not a really drastic mod. Description says it had a 2-year frame-off restoration. Current engine is 283 small block Chevy. I didn't realize it had been lowered until @uplanderguy pointed it out. Here's an interior shot:

Here are the other Stude cars that crossed the block (prices include buyer's premium):

'63 Champ pickup that went for $49.5K

'47 Custom (no kidding) pickup - went for $32.5K

'56 Golden Hawk (at least that's what the description says) that goes across the block today

• Options
    The price that Champ fetched is astonishing to me.

I like authentic of course, and it has wheel covers (N/A from the factory; easy fix of course), chrome front bumper (N/A from the factory), and most egregious, the old-style bed which by all accounts couldn't be ordered after '62 model year. Some say it was available later through, ahem, "special order", but I roll my eyes at that term, particularly with zero factory documentation provided by anybody--at least that I've seen.
  • Options
    Beat me to it, just shy of 50K for a Champ, amazing.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,173
    Liquored-up old guys with money do inexplicable things at auctions.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    What did the '56 Golden Hawk bring, anybody know? The Whitney-looking wire hubcaps are inexcusable on that car.
  • Options
    It went for $68.2K including buyer’s premium. How much too high do you think that was?
  • Options
    edited January 30
    I don't know. Unscientifically, for a few years I remember '57 Golden Hawks, which seem to bring some more because I think some folks think the '56's Packard V8 and Ultramatic are reliability headaches, were repeatedly bringing in the 80's at auctions. (The one former mod here used to say 'anomaly!', even the fourth or fifth time, LOL). If the car was really nice and otherwise stock besides those bad wheelcovers, $68K probably isn't bad.
  • Options
    edited February 6
    I saw this picture on one of the local cruise-in FB topics and recognized the two cars.
    Malcolm Berry (Xenia?) has passed away, it said. I believe he had other Studebakers
    beyond these two.

He'll be missed at local cruise-ins and car shows, especially the orphan show at
    Young's Jersey Dairy.

• Options
    edited February 6
    Kind of fun Stude-related tangent, I was wondering who had the original MB dealership here in Spokane. I was able to search the online newspaper archive, and discovered the first MB dealer here was indeed a Studebaker dealer too (Madren Brothers). In this paper from 1960, MB gets a little blurb along with the rest of their foreign brands:

While the Lark got a graphic ad on the same date:

Another firm, who handled Borgward and other unusual ,makes, took over MB sales in 1961 (this dealership name existed as a Nissan dealer until at least the turn of the century I believe):

In 1962, Madren was still here, with another graphic ad:

MB also got a graphic ad in 1962, with some rare cars mentioned - note "Mercedes-Benz Sales" is referenced, which was Studebaker controlled:

• Options
    Thanks fin, I love reading about the dealers in the '60's, when the dealer organization, I think, started to splinter. When I've looked at retail sales records at the Stude Museum archives for mid-sixties, I've been amused at how many dealerships had "Garage" or "...and Sons" in the name.
  • Options
    imidazol, I had heard of Malcolm Berry's passing. A nicer gentleman you'd never meet. He was an authorized VW mechanic in 1960 or so, I'm thinking his obit read.

Always a smile and a helpful attitude. He lived in Kettering.
  • Options
  • Options
    On the local Stude dealer note, the downtown location was apparently razed for I-90, I'd guess in the mid 60s. The site today:

The location on the north side of town still exists, a 1920s-30s building with 50s looking angled windows, now a hip barbershop:

While the MB dealership became a kind of boomer-centric auction house which used to have a big annual car auction - this area is developing a bit now and I suspect this building's days might be numbered:

• Options
    edited February 9
    Thanks for posting. The last Stude dealer where I live now, was bulldozed to make room for WalMart. The Stude dealer in my old hometown still stands and is owned by the local water authority. The dealership building for '55 and '56 Packards, where I live now, is a glass shop. It has windows like the slanted ones in your one pic, in the showroom which was attached to a building with a rounded top that resembles a barracks.

Funny, the term "Salon Showing" was also used by Studebaker at about the same time, when they'd loan a new Avanti to a dealer for three days to drum up interest.
  • Options
    edited February 9
    Here's the Trulia listing showing the Stude/Packard/M-B/Simca dealer in my old hometown now:

https://www.trulia.com/home/43-s-race-st-greenville-pa-16125-305812161#lil-streetViewTab

The ivy-covered building was their six-bay Service Department, with each bay having its own overhead door.
  • Options

Thanks for posting. The last Stude dealer where I live now, was bulldozed to make room for WalMart. The Stude dealer in my old hometown still stands and is owned by the local water authority. The dealership building for '55 and '56 Packards, where I live now, is a glass shop. It has windows like the slanted ones in your one pic, in the showroom which was attached to a building with a rounded top that resembles a barracks.

Funny, the term "Salon Showing" was also used by Studebaker at about the same time, when they'd loan a new Avanti to a dealer for three days to drum up interest.

I suppose it was fitting that the interstate came through town around the time Stude closed shop, a final end for what I assume was the main building, as the surviving building is in a neighborhood several miles from downtown. I didn't find any images of that building in a quick search, but I did find that a wife of one of the Madren brothers lived to be 95, passing in 2010.

I can't imagine property prices like that place linked in Greenville - you can't get a 2000 sq ft vacant lot in the absolute worst part of town for that here.

I wonder of M-B Sales provided the ad copy for dealers to use in that event. A 14K 300SL would have been a fine investment - a nice final run 300SL roadster probably starts at 1.5MM now and might get to 2MM on a good day.
  • Options
    Here's a 190SL in front of the Greenville dealer--I'll guess '58 to '60 or so. Second pic is fall of '65, with the Filer family. Third pic is 2004, when I paid $50 for the door to the parts dept. which I now use as my desk, with a glass cover over it. I'm in the blue jacket; my friend Joe in the dark blue sweatshirt and Tony, the building owner, is in the dark green sweatshirt.

• Options

Here's a 190SL in front of the Greenville dealer--I'll guess '58 to '60 or so. Second pic is fall of '65, with the Filer family. Third pic is 2004, when I paid $50 for the door to the parts dept. which I now use as my desk, with a glass cover over it. I'm in the blue jacket; my friend Joe in the dark blue sweatshirt and Tony, the building owner, is in the dark green sweatshirt.

I believe most 190SLs are almost identical year by year. You got that door for $50?! Awesome score there, that's a cool piece.
  • Options
    edited February 10
    That pic makes the door look perfect, and it isn't.

There are some chips in the black above the word "PARTS". I'd like to think the glass overlay for 20 years has helped preserve it, but on the other hand, it is very near a window on the west side of the house.

I remembered asking him what he wanted for it. He said, "What'll you give me for it?" I said "$50" and he said "Sold!". I wonder if he'd have taken less. I suspect so. He was a nice guy though....showed us back in the old shop, which I'd never been in before.

I told my wife if something happens to me, to offer the door to the Filer grandson, who is four years younger than me. If he doesn't want it, I might offer it to the Greenville Area Historical Society along with the heavy metal 15 year dealer plaque I have for them--I'm on the board of that society--but space is slim there. I would hate to eventually have it thrown out.
  • Options
    That door looks like the kind of thing an American Pickers style flipper would turn into hipster artwork and charge $1200 for it. Maybe the Studebaker museum would want it if nobody else did? I am sure they have tons of stuff already, but better than tossing it. If anything, put it out at a yard sale and someone would want it.
  • Options
    Here's the dealer's 15-year plaque I was given (1941). The frames were reused and only the insert changed at five-year intervals. I bought the frame. Together, the thing weighs 11.6 lbs.!

The grandson has their 40-year plaque (1966), their last, which I would give a right, well you know, for. It's in the frame, and the plaque and frame were revised by that time to be much lighter. That plaque has a red octagonal insert around the edge, which looks nice, and the Studebaker logo has the last font and 'lazy S' logo I like. He wishes to hold onto it though.