Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• Options
    bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Doc-- If I recall correctly, Roger, Fast or Racefan, or one of the other "into it" guys posted photos about a year and a half ago that showed the engine out of the vehicle and on a stand which made access to the air filter a breeze [is that a pun?.] Anyway, whoever did the photos should repost that one so you can see where to look.
  • Options
    fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    Doc-

Where in the world is Doc? We're all dying to know if you were able to inspect your air filter. We've given you a ton of hints! Did any of them help?
    ;-))) Inquiring minds want to know!

fastdriver
  • Options
    drpixeldrpixel Member Posts: 256
    Good morning, all, and thanks for the 'advice' regarding my air filter. George Deane, the Wall Stadium Event coordinator was nice enough to send me a bunch of pictures of the trophy winners from the East Coast event, and they've been added to the mini-website. You can see these pictures by clicking on the "trophy winners" link under the banner image. Others who attended the event also have pictures posted (listed under participants). You'll also see yours truly--I'm the guy with the shorts on! Now you know why I'd rather be BEHIND the camera than in front of it! The link below here is to an image of eMily, up close and personal that George Deane took of eMily's pinstripes, who was the only 300m at the Wall Event with pinstripes! Do any of you have pinstripes on your 300m? I know bigmike5 has stripes on his "M", but I was curious if anyone else did. Notice the fine non-Zaino shine, BTW...bhwhahahahaha..... Here's the link:

http://www.shutterfly.com/my/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b318b0a9a425

I have received pictures from 4 of the attendee's: George, Vincent, Tony and Robert. I'm waiting for a couple of pictures that I shot, and will be putting them up when I get them. To whomever is co-ordinating the 'Arizona Meet', feel free to borrow the code and layout for pictures/mini-Arizona website you may create.

Link to the Wall Event mini-website:

http://www.300mclub.org/wallEventHome.htm

Doc

• Options
    forresthforresth Member Posts: 34
    Well Doc,
    I have some pinstripes on my M. They were dealer add-ons. They are very thin gray ones that run just above the accent ridge at the top part of the sides. My wife didn't really like them when we first looked at the car, I could care less about them. I thought of pulling them off, but she said don't worry about it. I don't notice them much at all. I like the chrome around the windows. I think it sets off the lines of the car.
    Forrest
  • Options
    splattsplatt Member Posts: 328
    Maybe I'm missing something, but what is this that you are referring to? hmmm...
  • Options
    not that the two go together or something ;)

Doc - got your IM after you logged off - site looks great. Nice work!

Exhaust - ok, now the bad part, since the mechanic yesterday was on about how it's no big deal to swap the exhaust, even though it's a lease, now I want to :D He's just saying I should keep the orig in the basement to put back later. I can't do the duals, since that involves cutting the rear, and that would be bad. But I could do a borla... hmm.... :-D
  • Options
    OK - need help guys :) Anyone here installed the borla exhaust on their Ms? I personally like the hp/mpg gain and the sound, but I wanted to see if there was anyone who has can tell me what the actual mpg gain is. I'd like to get one, but the sigO will kinda reject the idea since it's llike $760 for the parts plus about $50-100 for the install. If I can pursuade with the saving of gas... ;)

Also, I know that a lot of people prefer the hujo duals design, but mine's a lease and I can't cut into the rear to put the other tips in :( But, I can do this and replace with the orig before the end of the lease with no problems...

Anyone? TIA :)

(also posted at 300mclub board in case you notice the dupe)
  • Options
    ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    Well the first 10 of the 8500 or so Specials rolled off the line Monday . Another four will be built Thursday. As for H.P , some of the engineer guys I talked to also thought 5 extra was not enough but with the 2.7 axle gear set you get a little more pull. Keep your eyes out for one coming soon to a dealer near you
  • Options
    rogor2krogor2k Member Posts: 385
    The Borla system for the 300M can be purchased for around $500 street price. The only one I know who has installed one is Jeff Goldman, Club member #159. I saw it and heard it at the Monterey meet, and it sounds good. Check the Member Directory to get his email address and he should be able to help you.
  • Options
    sweet - thanks! Where can you pick it up for that kind of price? It's $750 or so from borla direct...
  • Options
    cmyers300mcmyers300m Member Posts: 206
    Well, I too still want to get the Borla exhaust but have never found anyone on the internet/mags that still have it for $500. All people I've contacted no longer carry the Borla for a good price. They get it from Borla the same way we can. The cost is $750. I lease my M as well and do not want to modify the bumper either for the duals. I've been holding out for months now trying to get it cheaper than $750, if anyone knows where you can still get it....please let me know as well. If not, I guess I'm going to have to give into the higher price.
  • Options
    Well, I just found this site looking on the web.

http://www.exhaustproslinc.com/index.html

They have it for about $600 shipped. Or so they say they do :) Still looking, but if anyone does know a cheaper place.

Tempted to check the so-cal speedshop. They did an M modded car, but they don't list the parts online and I haven't gotten around to calling them yet. If someone does, please ask about shipping since I'm on the right coast.

• Options
    Congrats, I've never seen that web site. $600 is better! I've emailed a local mod place here and I'm waiting on a price from them. I'll let you know what it is.
  • Options
    sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    You could do a custom system similar to the hugo design, but instead of running exhaust to both sides with dual tips, run two pipes out of the rear muffler to the existing cutout and put single tips on each pipe. My system was $500 installed. If you pay $600 for the Borla someone is still going to have to put it on for you (or you do it yourself)

Check out the Hugo design diagram at http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1620463&a=12630411&p=46814953&f=0 Dynomax has a SuperTurbo model 17786 that could be put in place of the 17739 that I used in my installation. The 17786 has a 2 1/2 inch input on one side (which matches the stock intermediate pipe dimensions) and two 2 1/4 inch outputs on the other side. The input comes from the passenger side through the existing pipe, and the two pipe output would be on the drivers side. You would just have to add mandrel bent 2 1/4 inch pipes (can be bought at JC Whitney or customized by any muffler shop) that go to the existing cutout, and find some tips you like to put on the end. Viola. Dual exhaust that can be removed. Here is a PDF of the dynomax mufflers.

http://www.dynomax.com/documents/super_turbo_specs.pdf
  • Options
    avalanche165avalanche165 Member Posts: 558
    ok fellas and felines, i got done the mold of the clock vent, now names TV pod. here it is...

pics are small filesize....now just working with a rotozip to get the tv flush in there, and then doing vents on the two sides. will be sanded down to original texture, so it doesnt have that cheap glossy look. and of course painted.

• Options

muhaahahahahah

• Options
    I guess if you ever need to put makeup on or shave in your car you're all set. lol. I have to ask, what's the purpose of the new vent mirror?
  • Options
    ajpiiiajpiii Member Posts: 260
    I have the Borla installed...

As for the fuel consumption, I think I actually get few mpg's now than I originally did. The reason is when you hear what it sounds like you are going to wanna hear that baby rev a little bit more than you used to... Sounds so sweet... but you pay for making it do that... Otherwise I think I probably got a couple of mpgs better...
  • Options
    sdmike - great idea. How much were the parts for your system? My mechanic said about $50-100 for the installation. Depends on how much he's got to drop to take the existing out. He said it's probably all one piece so it could be annoying. The new would be in pieces and therefore easier to install.

Was looking on the web for the parts - looks very doable...
  • Options
    Nice :D So where did you get yours?
  • Options
    I think it was you who mentioned something about some touch switches ?

Im looking for a cool looking switch, lighted, that would match the guages at night... Have any ideas ?
  • Options
    I bought mine from a fellow 300m club member... He had it on his car for a while but wanted the dual look... I forget what I paid for it exactly but it was between $350 & 400 :)
  • Options
    www.summitracing.com has the Borla 300m system, Part # BOR-14835 for $511.39 plus shipping. I didn't check to see how much the shipping would be.
  • Options
    jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    I've followed this board, and I know you guys are the most knowledgable on this platform.

I've got a 2000 Intrepid R/T with the 3.5 liter. There seems to be confusion over whether this drivetrain needs the differential fluid changed at 15,000 miles. It is separate from the transmission, correct? What type of fluid is used in the differential, ATF+4 just like the tranny?

Thanks,
  • Options
    Summitracing seems to be about $10 for shipping. It said $5 when I put in an order to check price, and there was a note that an addt'l $5 would be added (oooh, $10 ;) Pretty good price so far...
  • Options
    I did a little research on the component pricing for you. I know rogor2k collected his parts in a box and then had the muffler shop install it, so maybe he can chime in as well. Here's what I found...

You can get the Dunomax 17786 from carshopinc.com for $66, the Magnaflow 12258 front collector from bestautopartsonline.com for $83, 90 degree stainless mandrel bent pipes from JC Whitney for about $30 each (need two, and could save money if you don't use stainless), and borla or monza pacesetter single tips for about $30 each, also from JC Whitney. You'll use the existing stainless intermediate pipe from the magnaflow to the dynomax so you don't need that part. I come up with a rough parts total of under $300 including some brackets and maybe some short 2 1/4 exhaust pipe pieces to run from the stainless mandrel pipes back to the tips. If your muffler guy will do a good job for $100 I think you've got a nice system for a nice price.

One word of caution though. Make sure they weld the parts together and not just clamp them. Too much opportunity for leaking. Also make sure you let them know just how far and in what position you want the rear tips. Mine are staggered and follow the line of the bumper, which I think is a classy touch.
  • Options
    Well, I feel like a complete idiot. After reading Rogor2k's post I had to check out the price myself. The worst part is I have checked out that website a MILLION times and NEVER noticed that there was more than one page of Borla exhaust systems available. Sure enough, $511 for a 300M. Thanks Rogor2k.
    The bad part is I live in Ohio(used to live 20 miles away from Summit Racing too) and have to pay sales tax, yuck! But it is still by far the best deal. One plus is I've delt with Summit Racing before and have had good experiences.
  • Options
    If anyone buys the system for the 300M, be sure to ask about the annular venturi. These are small tube(s) that are welded (somewhere?) inside the main pipe and dramatically reduce the cabin resonance problem with this system. Without them, I understand the resonance is enough to give you a headache.
  • Options
    I like the fact that the borla is one part (or I should say one easy order - everything included). However, the other sounds nice as well. I'll have to talk to the mechanic as see what he can do...
  • Options
    what the heY? mirrors? no mirrors for me. thats a tv!
  • Options
    yea i was lookin around and ethen Allen in baltimore was selling these touch switches. you can wire leds very easily to get whatever color you want and they are heat sensored...so just touch'em and they fade on then fade back to black. so im gonna put those flush molded in my center console side panel and then blah blah and some stuff...
  • Options
    jlegroupjlegroup Member Posts: 4
    My '00 M is suffering a self-image problem from its UGLY front license plate bracket that CA mandates. Not to mention that the dealer drilled off holes and it's crooked. I don't wanna drill more holes to straighten (would love to take it off and plug the holes, if CHP didn't mind), but would like to know if there is a better looking bracket or other solution. Ever notice all the new Lexus coupes running around w/o front plates?? Guess if you pay that much for a car, the state gives you a pass.
  • Options
    on1wheelon1wheel Member Posts: 68
    i am trying to find out if the PHP option rotors are larger or smaller than without.my dealer is saying php came with smaller rotors with 16" wheels,which i have. i thought i had the larger rotors,now im unsure! can some one help? they also said the larger ones are a direct bolt on replacement for the small ones,and vise versa.
  • Options
    Got the DRL module today. Went to install it - took all of 2 seconds. Cool. Turned on the car. Nothing... played with it a while and tried to remove it to make sure it was seated properly/looked unbroken. Note to all - Don't remove it! That was hard!

ok, I take a look in the manual - read what it says, in Canada (since they only sell them there standard) it says when the car is on and the Emergency Break is OFF they will run. Duh! I plug it in, turn on the car, take off the break. Voila! works like a charm :)

On the exhaust side - which do you think (cost aside) between the borla and a dual with the magnaflow/dynamax, but two pipes on the same side (so it will look the same as it does now) would perform better?

boy I seem to be posting a lot here today - maybe they should give me something to do at work. I've already asked ;)
  • Options
    lflowerslflowers Member Posts: 155
    ave.......I recently bought an extended warranty on my 2000 M. I bought through the dealer in Oklahoma that is mentioned under warrantys on the 300M club site. My car was had almost 36K miles when I bought the warranty and I paid $750 for a 75000 mile warranty. That's a pretty good discount on the price my local 5* quoted. And it's a Chrysler factory warranty.

Dr Pixel........my M has pin stripes down the sides, also just above the accent "groove". The stripes are black on my silver car.....looks good. Mine are hand painted, not tape or something.
    I like the way they look, but my car is about to go into the body shop to repair the damage done when the bike rack in my own garage fell on it. They have to replace the right front fender and straighten the right front door and, of course, repaint both those panels plus the hood. I'm very concerned that the stripes will not be redone as well as they were done originally.
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
    Lynn Flowers
    McKinney, Texas
  • Options
    probably no noticable difference in performance between the two. I personally think it's a matter of taste (sound and looks) and $$. The dynomax and magnaflow mufflers are very high flow, so the borla isn't likely to breath any better. Also, some here have used a Rhino muffler in the center rear instead of the magnaflow like I used. I think some have also opted for baffled tips as opposed to ones without a resonator in them.

I forget, is the borla exhaust a two or three muffler system? If it's three, it might be more restrictive than the other approach. Also, I echo Roger's comment about the resonation. I think we all get a little resonation around 2k RPM, but reports are that the borla is obnoxious.
  • Options
    I hated the black plastic bracket as much as you. My solution? I removed it and bolted the plate directly to the front bumper. I mounted it lower so it didn't cover the grill anymore. Yeah it's another set of holes, but it looks a hell of a lot better and works just great. I don't have a close-up picture, but here's one where you can see how it turned out.

• Options
    I'd say probably the difference in performance between the two systems would be negligible. I'd definitely go with the Borla bolt-on replacement if I had a lease arrangement. Installation is SO much easier.

With the other single side system, I can foresee a possible alignment problem with using two 2-1/2 inch mandrel bent elbows side by side, since they would both be bent on the same radius. If you have them custom bent, unless you have a mandrel bender at your disposal (very few muffler shops do), you're talking about big bucks. The alternative is fairly sharp bends made without benefit of a mandrel bender, which probably means some kinking of the pipes. Now that might reduce your performance.
  • Options
    scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1280646&a=10213702&f=0

Requires another set of holes as well. Unavoidable!
  • Options
    the m looks saweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.
  • Options
    mikeypmikeyp Member Posts: 32
    From the looks of that Mighty powerfull M..all of that power must have gone to your basketball game..I see that you destroyed the hoop behind the car! Love that power!
  • Options
    mikeypmikeyp Member Posts: 32
    Does anybody know anybody that sells that front end bra like Big reds...other than the factory..and anybody got the cost?
  • Options
    Ok guys I have a question...

i went to my new dealer the other day (these guys really are 5 star still cant believe the diff in service quality over my other dealer) to have a bunch of service done, including transmission service... They told me that the fluid in the car was ATF +4 and that it was permanent and did not need changing at all. I asked them if not changing it would void my warranty and they even put in writing that it would not affect the warranty... They said they would do it if I wanted, but in their opinion it was a waste of money... Whats the deal ? Anyone else ever heard of ATF +4 being permanent ?

Proof of 5 Star: I overheard them tell and old lady that she didnt need a tune up yet, and the day after I picked up my car they called me to tell me they would pay for my rental since it was in 2 days... Im not used to this kind of treatment ! LOL
  • Options
    russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    The 2001 300M owners manual does not have a trans fluid change in the maintainance section.
    My 1999 300M manual called for a trans fluid change at 15K.
  • Options
    russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    Heres the link to my hand-painted stripes.

The eagle finals seem very appropriate now!

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1501794&a=11408326&p=40150653&f=0
  • Options
    denvermdenverm Member Posts: 358
    Here's a photo and details of my solution.
  • Options
    rdl40rdl40 Member Posts: 60
    I'm not sure what increase in hp borla is claiming
    on the 300 M. But as an former member of the "SHO REGISTRY" and owner of a "91 SHO, the company claimed up to a 20 - 25 hp gain with their cat back systems. This claim was verified on "their" dyno machine.
    However, a indedepent company performed the same test (with a '93 SHO), and hp gains were a modest
    2 - 4hp.
    At that time Borla was charging $800 for this system, alot of money for such little horsepower.
  • Options
    fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    What's happened? Talk To The Hosts topic is NUMBER 1!!!! Lots of venting there. Seems like there's a new guy in town, like Sylvia was, who has ruffled a lot of feathers mainly because of the WAY he handled something.

sdmike2-

Ahhhhhhhh.......ONE of my favorite pics! No scratches, no dents! ;-))

fastdriver
  • Options
    tucsongiltucsongil Member Posts: 116
    It was reported a while back by someone who had a K&N air filter and got the Borla exhuast kit that came with a K&N type air filter by S&B that this filter looked to be better than the K&N. My question is:

Is this S&B air filter sold by it's self away from the Borla kit? And if so, by whom?

Plus any new info on the S&B vs the K&N air filter?
  • Options
    tucsongiltucsongil Member Posts: 116
    Hey with my new Dell computer your pics of Big Red did not take time to load, like before with my old PC!