Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• Options
    mikeypmikeyp Member Posts: 32
    I guess that I'm lucky! I was wondering what to do with the Chyrsler logo on the front (I want to take off all Chrysler stuff on the outside of the car)...and Avalance did such a great job with his center piece..I started thinking...maybe there is a way to replace the grill..so I called them...and they want to work on it together..

I'm pretty sure that they will do two kinds..Full chrome, as well as Black chrome..which I think would look HOT!I'm not a member yet, but as soon as I join, I'll let everybody know..maybe I'll start a side buisness and sell these myself?? I'll give you a discount..don't worry!

I agree scotian..I think that most of them look ok..but the PT looked great..and I've seen some with...black chrome willl look hot!
  • Options
    fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    It's not wrong. Trust me. I only have like 9 gigs of music on a MP3 server my whole office shares (NY too) :)
  • Options
    So far the new owner of my late M is happy. Gee I went through alot of trouble to get a front plate bracket. Since you don't need one in FL, mine didn't have one. None of the dealers had them around. I check 5 of them all through FL. I had to order it from the parts deparment. And get this it was ONLY $29.99!!! That's just crazy!!!! Glad I didn't have to pay(new owner gave me the $30) And it took 5 days to get! Chrysler is so stupid sometimes.
  • Options
    sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    I took mine off and you could have had it for shipping. Ask next time. :p
  • Options
    ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    I had smoothest shifts if I decreased the pressure on the gas pedal a bit while shifting.
  • Options
    tucsongiltucsongil Member Posts: 116
    Thanks, to everybody for the info about on the CD player and downloads.

This downloading music and ripping tracks is all new to me. Once I installed my new burner, I will try to rip a copy of Queen's Greatest Hits from a factory copy my brother has.

Any additonal info can be sent to me at: WildcatGil@aol.com

BTW, Wildcat is because I am a hard core U of AZ Wildcat fan!

BTW part two: I am at this time using my MSN account that I got six months free with my new Dell PC. I like the format here on MSN better than the AOL format. I have a differant screen name here on MSN and once I called to cancel AOL they have giving me free AOL to stay on. I will go back on forth between the two accounts.
  • Options
    I figured someone had it. But at the time, the dealer said it would be in the next day, that turned out to be 5 days.
  • Options
    dubbeddubbed Member Posts: 33
    been looking for one for who knows how long. let me know the details i want one!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks,

tom
    (dubson300m)
  • Options
    cbwonguscbwongus Member Posts: 40
    Me too! A new grill would be sweet. I saw the grill on the concept Jag R-coupe in the December MotorTrend, I thought a grill like that would look awesome on the M. Looking forward to something being available.
  • Options
    easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    but most of the gains occur at higher revs--if you want to beat those stangs and GP's then it may be worth it. No governor is a plus if you're into high speed and speeding tickets.

I personally dont beat on my car enough to warrant it. It may help gas mileage but I think it would be miniscule unless you always like to floor it. Interesting though.

Easyrider300m
  • Options
    scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    I haven't been keeping track of the chips. Is this ASE chip a new development? Does the company have a good reputation?
  • Options
    wldockwldock Member Posts: 17
    Look at the dyno chart link. Some good gains in torque between 3500-4000RPM.
  • Options
    wldockwldock Member Posts: 17
    Victoria Tire list OEM Lexus takeoffs as a 300M fit.

This sounds like a good deal...if you are looking for 18s and like that Lexus look...

http://www.victoriatire.com/

they have some other nice wheels as well...
  • Options
    splattsplatt Member Posts: 328
    As for the music - I didn't say there was anything 'wrong' per se ;) More that this site is maintained by Edmunds.com and I am sure posting info on copyright protected d/l would get them into hot water - that's what I was trying to avoind. Sure there are some legal d/ls out there, but a far majority of it (most all the stuff I'd like to get) are all copyright protected. Again - I'm not trying to be a party pooper, I've been doing this kind of stuff (and far more ;) for probably 20+ years - I just don't want edmunds.com to get nailed for our posts.

ASE Chips - as far as I understand, those performance readings are simulated on a computer program. And from what I've heard, the 0-60 times really aren't effected. But I could be wrong...
  • Options
    300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    not to mention the use of Prem gas.
  • Options
    300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    I managed to get two of the three headlamps I ordered, the third was sold out from under me. So I will be getting a 300M and an LHS head lamp both Passenger side to play around with. I have to start looking for a drivers side LHS lamp now.
  • Options
    nmifr300mnmifr300m Member Posts: 28
    A bit of caution. Splat is right. the charts are computer generated and may mean nothing. These are the type of charts one gets by running a dyno at the fly wheel. How many of us believe the guys at ASE have a 3.5L connected to a dyno.

E-mail them back and as for Chasis Dyno data at the wheels and how much difference their chip makes.

If you look at the bottom of the Club page you will see what Chasis Dyno runs look like. There data certainly did not get data a the wheel of a car with a automatic transmission!!
  • Options
    dkrhardydkrhardy Member Posts: 134
    I have a 2001 R/T and I Emailed the ASE folks about the chip and never got a reply. My biggest concern was the fact that the "dyno" charts look hand drawn, not even computer generated. I've also seen other posts that have nothing good to say about ASE. Seems like it was on an Edmonds forum for aftermarket parts. It was pretty long ago and I'm too lazy to research it again. Then there is the fact that you have to ship them your computer and wait for it to be returned. I'm thinking that if they could do it, as ASE says they can, then the big names would be making one too. My humble $.02
  • Options
    99_300m_ric_va99_300m_ric_va Member Posts: 377
    I thought I heard someone say here they had already sent their computer for the ASE upgrade. Who was that again?

Someone here said Kenny Bell was doing similar development on a chip. Don't know the details, but Kenny Bell is at least a respected race outfit. Do some research and give them consideration over ASE.
  • Options
    cmyers300mcmyers300m Member Posts: 206
    I was days away from sending my CPU to ASE when some of the responses I received here were on the frightening side. I backed out. As far as KenneBell, I received an email response from them saying they were considering making a supercharger for the M. I believe that is all they make, not chips. So far they have done nothing. All we can do is hope, because I have read nothing but good things about KenneBell and their high quality superchargers.
  • Options
    The supercharger would more than likely work well - the whole idea is more air in and out. Escpeically considering the number of airbox and exhaust mods here ;)

If someone does the ase I'd love to see a dyno at the wheels.
  • Options
    tictac3tictac3 Member Posts: 78
    After 20K miles, I just could not take it anymore - had to replace the Goodyears! Opted for the Continental Sport Contact CH95’s @ $115 each installed. Hope that I made the right decision. Just did not want to spend mega-bucks to replace the tires. Still had plenty of tread left but could not further tolerate the noise and the drifting to the right.
  • Options
    lancerubinlancerubin Member Posts: 12
    What a great pleasure to be joining the world of 300M owners. An unexpected event brought on by a 7,000 off ad in the papers. I will get into a full Bonneville vs. 300M take later on, but my initial thoughts has to do with thw radio. I am getting lousy reception in FM with a lot of static, and poor stereo seperation of chanels, despite the stereo light being on. Has anyone here been able to solve this, or possibly do I just have a defective reciever....the CD sounds great, so it does not have to do with the amp or speakers. Thanks for the tips on Autostick.
  • Options
    We're always glad to convert people to the M :D

I usually get fairly good reception, except for some stations that have poor reception always :(

Love to see the comparisons though.
  • Options
    silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    Welcome to the board. I was considering getting a metallized Llumar tint job on my M. The installer gave me an evasive answer when I asked about the effect of the metal film on the radio reception. In fact, my FM is OK, but the AM stations (I listen to a lot of sports talk) suffered. Did you get a tint? Other than that, you may have a defective unit. Have the dealer replace it on warranty if you are not satisfied. Good luck.

Silver
  • Options
    bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    I second what SDMike said on the shifting with the Autostick. I use it mostly to slow down and corner. But upshifting, I find that if you keep the gas steady it shifts very smoothly. If you let off like you would with a clutch it is more abrupt. Be careful downshifting and then going back up. If you have been going under the desired shift speed and thought you up-shifted to 4 sometimes it will not shift there, and will stay in 3. Then when you go to downshift from where you think you are [4], going to say 2, you actually go from 3 to 1, and that can be abrupt as well. Just check it a few times, especially at the slower speeds and you will see what I mean. To go from 3 to 4 at the slower speeds it has to almost be under no load at all. It will go there, but not under any load.
  • Options
    My FM comes in great unless I'm driving in the hills, but my AM sucks. I get lound whistling tones that increase and decrease in pitch and volume independent of where I am or what I'm doing. It's very annoying. I just haven't taken it to the shop yet because 95% of the time I'm on FM or CD. I wish I remembered if I had the same problem before my tint job (llumar non-metallic)
  • Options
    Also be careful if you like to drum your fingers on your shift lever while you drive. I've crammed the tranny into first a little too fast a couple of times because I gave an overzealous finger drum to the right side of the autostick. lol. I too mostly use the autostick for deceleration (love the sound and feel of downshifting) and when I'm driving a little more aggressively and want to keep the RPMs and acceleration up.
  • Options
    drpixeldrpixel Member Posts: 256
    checking in as requested.....While I woik in Noo Yawk, I live and commute from Joisey (to some Noo Yawkuh's...another borough of Manhattan!.....). Fortunately for me, I am no where near the crash site; but unfortunately for a friend here @ da Fed, he lost his wife and 14 year old son. So sad....
    I found out about this this morning when I got in to work from another associate of mine. Will keep you posted as to what exactly happened, but my guess is airplane parts raining down on the homes in that particualr area or the resulting fires.

Other things...
    Received member #201--Dennis G. of Arizona and will be sending out his membership package with a standard message I send out prior to snailmailing the package itself. Have incuded a 'disclaimer' of sorts leting new members know that "...Due to the events of 9/11/2001, and the subsequent anthrax attacks, your membership package may take a little longer than usual to go through the U.S. Mail system. We ask that you please be patient while your membership
    package is x-rayed, examined, irradiated and otherwise sanitized for your protection.".

New dvd player...received dvd player earlier this week--JVC XV-F80BK, a seven disc changer, black in cloro to match the rest of my growing home theater system. "Acquired" toslink optical cable and an s-video cable for the new toy. Hooked it up over the weekend-dropped in "Snow White and the 7 300m's..err Dwarves.." and.....
    nothing: the @#$# tray wouldn't slide back in to the unit. Called the vendor Monday and complained about unit not functioning...have to send it back to vendor --eTronics.com--, then they send to JVC and THEN I get new-hopefully functioning--dvd player. sigh...guess its just my luck!

Cat news...seems Linda, my schweetie--is allergic to Angel-the proposed new cat in our home....we had her in our home for a 2 hour visit last night, and she was sneezing, coughing, etc. Seems some people can be allerigic to male or female cats. I hope this isn't the case.

To the Arizona Meet crew---sounds like youse guys had a blast--I look forward to seeing some pix so I can get a face to go with the email address/edmunds.com forum names!

Regards to all from
    drpixel/Glenn
  • Options
    on1wheelon1wheel Member Posts: 68
    hi all.i have gotten no response from kennebell faxed them a letter,phone`s always busy,and the website wont load.
    they just put out an ad inthe new sport truck mag,and it says...

up to 25 more hp
    more torque at any rpm
    faster throttle response
    re-calibrated fuel and spark maps
    improved shifting(electronic)
    kennebell calibrated no self tuning required
    comes with kennebell guarenteed performance

300m is listed in the add.
    $349 (return overnite shipping)

says send for free brochure and "before and after" dyno tests.

but like i said,i got no response yet.
    does the website work for anyone else?
    www.kennebell.net
    #1-909-941-6646
    fax# 1-909-944-4883
  • Options
    I can't get to kennebell.net either. Another place to look:

http://www.paxtonauto.com/catalog/index.html#dodge

Paxton makes superchargers for the prowler, which is the same engine as the M.

• Options
    I'd be interested more in a supercharger than a chip, although I'm sure a supercharger is quite spendy...
  • Options
    Does the M have a cabin air filter somewhere?
  • Options
    At KenneBell is only $5,600 for the prowler. Over $6k with the headers :-O

ouch!
  • Options
    cbwonguscbwongus Member Posts: 40
    Reccomendations for plugs? How many spark plugs go in the M?
  • Options
    rogor2krogor2k Member Posts: 385
    6 works best. Most people who have installed them swear by the Bosch Platinum +4 plugs, but they're a little pricey at $5 to $6 each.

What the heck! It's your wheels, right?
  • Options
    jona57jona57 Member Posts: 194
    The 300M has it radio antenna in the rear window (at the top above the defroster). Unfortunately, these types of antennas are often not as good at picking up weak signals as traditional mast antennas. You might try to compare your FM reception with another 300M at your dealership to see if there is a difference. If your car's reception seems significantly worse than another 300M under the same conditions (e.g. roads, near buildings, etc.), I would have your dealer try to fix the problem. The 2001DC Service Manual for the 300M has a procedure for testing the "Rear Window Antenna Module" on page 8A-19.

For those considering window tints, the Service Manual sayeth:
    "NOTE: If aftermarket window shading is added, it cannot be of the metallic type. Metallic type window shading can cause poor radio reception."

FYI- My stock 2001 M with the premium (Infinity II) system has FM reception clearly inferior to that of my Gr. Caravan's Infinity system over the same city routes. I do not know if it's the mast antenna on the minivan or some differerence in the headunits. I may consider a retractable antenna in a rear quarterpanel as my 1st structural mod (since adding an ugly fixed mast antenna to a 300M should be a capital offense!!!!).

Jon
  • Options
    silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    Hey Doctor,

I was watching an educational program and they claim that dark colored cats cause allergic reactions to people with allergies, but for some reason white, or light colored cats don't. Go figure. Seems like dander is dander.

So sorrowful about the newest tragedy. My family will not be flying on any Airbus or 767 again. That model of engine is flawed.

Silver
  • Options
    On the inside last page of the latest JCWhitney catalog is the Catch-All carpet mat from nifty products inc. It has a listing for the 98-01 Dodge Intrepid (76KS0594AF), but not the Chrysler 300M. They are bucket-like and molded to the specific car. Perfect! They are a bit pricey ($120/set of 4 mats), but worth it to me.

The manufacturer website (http://www.niftyproducts.com/) only lists trucks for some reason.

Is it reasonable to assume that these should fit the M just fine? My next choice would be to get one of these, and cut it to shape:

http://www.jcw.com/product.jhtml?CATID=56507&BQ=jcw2
  • Options
    I don't know about the cats there- I'll feel if there is a cat there almost as soon as I walk into a room (or house, apt, etc... ;)

My kids both want cats. It would be the cat or me - and thankfully I've never given them the choice :D
  • Options
    pjyoungpjyoung Member Posts: 885
    Odd...my 99 300M has superb reception, FM or AM. In fact, I had my wifes Taurus this morning (taking it in for service near my office) and I usually listen to a show on a rather weak AM station. I have no problems picking it up in my M, but I couldn't get it at all in her car. And driving to Texas, we are listening to Dallas area FM stations in southern Oklahoma.
  • Options
    hi all.nifty products is just across town from me and they have always done a good job.i will try to get over there and talk to the owner (my father used to swap work with him for years)and see if he can cut us a deal and see what he has to offer us,if thats ok with the club pres.he might even need a M to use as a mold.if you can ok this roger i`ll see what i can do.
  • Options
    valhsvalhs Member Posts: 63
    I too am experiencing difficulties with my AM reception. I had it solved but my wife refuses to hold the aluminum foil wrapped coat hanger outside the passenger side window at highway speeds. Still works in the city though. Any advice?
  • Options
    has anyone installed a sub and x-tra amp in the rear with the existing factory stereo? if so i need some info.my local shops tell me it cant be dont with any decent effect.they say i need to swap out the speakers and factory amp since infinity uses higher ohms rating.is this right?i would like to keep my cost to a min as s.o.says im on a spending spree with all i`ve bought lately.
  • Options
    Cool! I faxed them about their Intrepid mats and my 300M question. I am certain it will fit, at least the front seat floor area. If you could get them to test fit the Intrepid mats in your M...
  • Options
    You've come to the right place. Several of us in here have installed an Infinity Basslink powered subwoofer in the trunk to enhance bass. When I rent 300Ms that's the thing I think I miss the most about Big Red (my car)...the Basslink. You can buy these all day on eBay for around $215. Here is a link to one, but if you do a search you'll find dozens of them:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1296854122

The Basslink installs pretty easily (I had a shop do it for $75 just to be careful) and provides nice rich sound for about $300 complete. I have the upgraded Infinity system in my car and it works wonderfully. Maybe someone else in here can chime in if they installed one with the stock Infinity system. Here are some pictures of it in my M.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1620463&a=13418625&f=0