Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• Options
    bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    I have had my Platinum 1999 300M since July 27, 1998. It now has almost 46K miles on it.Problems so far have been: 1) a loose radiator hose that had to have a clamp added to tighten it to stop some small leaking that I noticed; 2) a bad door lock activator (1); 3) a window motor (1); 4) Badyear tires (long gone now)5) light switch not going to parking lights or off until car was turned off. No tranny problems so far for me, but I am aware of others who had a bad input sensor that put the tranny in limp mode [2nd gear] til replaced. Other irritants I have heard of but have not experienced are dash lights flashing [attributed to the aforementioned switch]; loose seat [bad bolts] and some bad steering wheels [edging started to crush in. My own experience is that this car had really very few problems for a first year build. It was comparable to a 96 Aurora and a 93 Regal GS that I had before it as far as part failure issues go. My DC 5* dealer has been very good on repairs and service. They don't sell a lot of M's in our small town and they love the mods I have made to mine, so they are always anxious to see it, and work with me. They know that I take meticulous care of it too. $14K would be a good price for a 99M depending on the mileage and condition. Budget car sales near L-ville has one advertised for $18,999 which I think is optimistic, so $14K is pretty good. Take it for a good test drive and let a mechanic check it over if possible. Good luck. P.S. I never owned a Chrysler product before this, and now I am trying to talk the wife into letting me go for a 2003 Special with Graphite paint. I am hoping to see one at the plant tour.
  • Options
    cmyers300mcmyers300m Member Posts: 206
    Well, I own a '01M and love it. No problems whatsoever! But from what I've read on this board over the past year, the 99's were the most problematic. I personally would avoid it. Wait until you find a good priced 2001.
  • Options
    guesswho1guesswho1 Member Posts: 209
    the infinity reference 6x9's are a direct replacement, the screw holes line up perfectly. cutting through the rear deck was a major pain, it's easier to just remove the back seat. but i'm happy with the results more sound, nice grills. here's an idea, don't want to cut the deck but want nice grills, velcro those suckers down, only you will know :)
  • Options
    cmyers300mcmyers300m Member Posts: 206
    lolololol. That was funny. Probably should get rid of his M since he CAN'T SPELL CHRYSLER anyway! lolol
  • Options
    videoman1videoman1 Member Posts: 201
    I bought a 99M last December for around $17,000. It's Platinum (only year that color was in) and was a business lease that was turned in. Had 46,000 miles on it and now has 52,000. The only problem I had was with the gear shift linkage. Was very tight and the cables had to be replaced. Other than that, just brakes and tires (not uncommon with 46,000).

The best part about buying something used (especially a lease turn-in) is any problems the car had were probably fixed by the previous owner. So maybe mine had bad power windows, tranny, etc. but I don't know. All I can say is it's the most fun car I've had to date.

-vman
  • Options
    muskateer3muskateer3 Member Posts: 103
    Any one know of any good online sources for these? I am not looking for anything outrageous, just something with virtually the same shape as whats there.
  • Options
    The best looking chrome tips I've seen are on sdmikes Big Red. They're oval and the muffler shop in his area custom makes them. As soon as I collect a few more pennies, I'll be ordering them.

-vman
  • Options
    kinchbobkinchbob Member Posts: 4
    Most of these cars are good, but some are very bad (lemons). If possible, check with a dealership to see what work was done to while it was under warranty. That should tell the story.
  • Options
    99_300m_ric_va99_300m_ric_va Member Posts: 377
    Yes, I'll look for your plant buddy and hello. I'm already saving money for the LX sedans. Any chance a prototype will be built anytime soon? What are we likely to see during the plant tour? If we can't take pics in the plant, can you provide pics that are approved for release?

Can't wait to meet you and the rest of the M'ers.
  • Options
    sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    Ed Hanson (Where I got my exhaust done) said he'd sell just the tips for $15 plus shipping each for anyone who wanted them. That was a year ago so it might be a bit more. The custom Y-pipe assempbly that attaches two tips to a staggered Y and out to a 2 1/2 inch pipe runs $100 per side. Check out my picture site for...uh...pictures. :)

http://community.webshots.com/user/bigred300m
  • Options
    ok...which one of you will carry a small picture of Big Red there so she can participate in spirit? lol!
  • Options
    muskateer3muskateer3 Member Posts: 103
    How would I contact Mr. Hanson? I am in So Cal.
  • Options
    easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    here is a great source for stainless steel exhaust tips--they're not cheap but they sure do look purty and they will last for a long long time---I like the dual ovals #T564

http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/subpages/toucan_tips01.htm

EasyRider300M

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,736
    I, too, have a '99 Platinum 300M. I just turned 38,000 miles today (during a pleasant trip to the beach, beautiful day in MA!).
    Great car. Problems:
    - 2 Window motors, a known issue with '99s. My fear is now that I'm out of warranty, the other two will go!
    - Tranny speed sensor, causing "limp mode." Fixed under warranty.

That's about it. This car (bias time!) is a great looking, roomy, economical, reliable performance sedan. My only real issue has been with the build quality, some uneven and large panel gaps. This has not caused any problems, however. Just a shame it can't be as tight as the evil wife's Lexus. I also have the Goodyear LS, no problems to report.

Around here, M's do not hold their value at all, which I knew when buying (a car ain't an investment anyway). You could probably find a 2000 model for similar price, it had some worthy improvements e.g. more sound deadening, 4 cd changer in dash (I've got single CD) and rear cupholders.

But, if a '99 is for you, buy a later model year M. Check out the shift gate: If it has "fish scales" it was probably built prior to 6/99. Mine, built 6/8/99 has a leather shift boot. Chrysler made a few improvements, I believe, later in the '99 run.

Good luck, let us know your decision.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    Well we said good-bye to the 2002's today. The last 2002 special rolled by me late last night and should have rolled out the door early this morning. The line is now full of 2003's and we are off on our two week holiday(YEE-HAW).

splatt - sorry cant tell him as he left sometime this morning.

99_300m_ric_va -sounds good. As for prototypes , they should or could be doing them in detroit now. We at the plant will not see anything till maybe the spring of 2003. The Detroit Auto show in Jan should have some kind concepts of the LX , this will give you an idea of the direction they will be going. What will you see at the plant, lots and lots of cars,As for pics I have no control of that I am just a line worker , I dont make the rules.

sdmike2- I will gladly be the keeper of a pic of bigred. Sure would be nice to see your car in person.
  • Options
    blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    Well I have have an early build 99 M (with the fish scale shifter) with 46K and only one window regulator replaced (auto window down was intermittant) and the tranny speed sensor replaced just last month. The speed sensor can be a problem on any M or similar DC vehicle (not a quality build part)-- it's about a half hour fix and cost me only $49 at the dealer....not what you'd call a major transmission problem. The only build quality issues I had were poor fit and finish on the window bezels which the dealer replaced on warranty. I don't have a single squeak, creak or rattle. Oh yeah, the Goodyears, if that M your looking at has them (non PHP) might cause a steering wheel wobble which can be fixed by getting a better tire.
  • Options
    300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    Except for a window motor insodent, no problems. It was build in December of 98. It has been great. The only problems have been my fault do to all the mods I have added.
  • Options
    If you're in SoCal it might be worth your trip to San Diego for Ed to do your exhaust. He did both mine and Blonda's and he's both good and inexpensive. His contact information is:

Ed Hanson Muffler
    3916 North Barcelona Street
    Spring Valley, CA 91977
    (619) 698-7030
  • Options
    Some believe them, some don't...but here is what Consumer Reports found regarding the reliability of the M:

http://www.ritchiefamily.com/car/consumer.jpg
  • Options
    They sure ding the 300M's for the window motors and the light shows.
  • Options
    no1trustno1trust Member Posts: 151
    New to me (stopped subscribing to CR a while back). Does that mean above average reliability? Red traditionally has been favorable in CR.
  • Options
    yositoyosito Member Posts: 55
    Thanks to Otto and Beach for your info.
    Otto. What news do you have about the next LX cars?
    Have you seen them? Is C-T Ok with their drawings?
    Is it true that the Intrepid will still be a FWD in ´04 and the other vehicles will be RWD?
    I would love to see at least a true sketch of them, I can´t wait to see their design, hope they will be sharp looking.
    I think Chrysler will have some intros and very good concepts at NAIAS, what do you think Otto?

Thanks.

PS. Hope Dodge wins this weekend at Nascar!!!!!
  • Options
    fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    sdmike2-

Sorry for the delay in responding. Glad the emblem arrived in ONE piece! ;-)) I was away for the 4th and then got a new computer and sort of ignored TH!

Just got through reading the 300 messages that I missed. NO, that part was NEVER near Christine! ;-))) Did you send it to Mike yet? As of yesterday, he didn't receive mine yet! I mailed it right at the post office too!

As for the other things- a friend of mine works part-time arranging those in the stores. At the end of the season, they can take whatever they want. She sent me a pile of them. Glad the SO will find some use for them. If there are any that she really likes, let me know. I might have more of the same.

To all those going to see Otto- have a GREAT time! I'm a little jealous because I've always wanted to see a car built since I was a teenager! I know the invitation from Otto is still open to me if I ever get to Brampton. He was a great help to me when I had Christine. BTW, he's a great Dale Earnhardt fan! Can't remember if it's the son or the father though. I'm sure any Earnhardt "trinket" you could bring would be appreciated. I hope someone will be taking pics of the "entourage" going to the factory and post them when you get back home. I'd be willing to help out if you need a place to post them.

fastdriver
  • Options
    mekmart12mekmart12 Member Posts: 8
    Mike:

Ed Hanson is a great guy. He helped me with customer exhaust work for my Fiat Strada some 15 years ago. Is his shop still in La Mesa / SDSU area? What's his address? I can go over to say hi....never mind

I should have read through....Thanks.
  • Options
    toms99toms99 Member Posts: 252
    I don't know if it is just me, or I am biased, but I really don't think the minor problems with the 99 are really any big deal....especially for a brand new platform roll-out year. I have been very satisfied with the build quality and reliability (and yes I did have the window motor problem...at 41K I still have not had the speed sensor problem...just a matter of time, I guess!)

I did replace the Goodyears at 30K, not because of vibration or tracking problems but because of the poor wet weather traction...hardly DC's fault.

I think the biggest factor may be the quality of the dealer's service people. These days everyone seems to be focused on "price" and getting the best "deal." My dealer has great service, and is 3 blocks from where I work. Maybe I could have bought the car cheaper elsewhere, but I think paying $100 or $200 more at purchase time for a dealer with great service is worth 10 times that in saved aggravation!
  • Options
    fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    Wonder if they have 0% financing or 7/70? ;-))

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5070&sid=175&n=158

fastdriver
  • Options
    I have the original Goodyears 225/55/17 on my M and three are still ok (about 8000 or so miles left) but one is wearing pretty thin. I plan on getting new tires before winter but unless I can replace that one bad tire, I'll have to do it sooner than I want.

So I was wondering if anyone who's swapped their Goodyears with somthing else had one laying around not doing anything. I'd gladdly take it off your hands (and pay for shipping of course) so I can last a few more months.

-vman
  • Options
    don't have a tire, but i'm curious as to which one is wearing thin. i just put new tires on mine and the right rear was a lot thinner than the rest. rotated every 5k front to back.
  • Options
    I am not sure if I am missing a vacuum line on my engine. I am hoping someone can look at his engine and let me know. The area of the engine where I think it may be missing is: look for the "3.5" stamped on the center front of the engine cover. The go about an inch to the right (as you face the engine) and then come forward toward the front end of the car about 3 or 4 inches. Look down and let me know if you see a air tube coming out from that area. On mine , all I see is a fitting to accept a vacuum tube. It points straight up but nothing is attached to it?

If you have a chance, can someone please check theirs and let me know.

EZ
  • Options
    fixed the annoying rattle, went to the local hi-fi buys told the dude i had the infinity reference 6 1/2" he gave me a set of "BENNIC" BI-POLAR ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS. now the speakers don't bounce out of the doors. they are just bass blockers, hooked up to the positive terminal, they let some bass through but not all, so they hit like mids not subs. sounds great.

http://www.bennic.com.tw/en/acocap/08b10.asp

i have the ones like on the left but they say 99mfd. they work!
  • Options
    you owe me one man, i just went out in the rain to take a look, had my swim trunks on so it wasn't that bad, there is nothing there. :)
  • Options
    I might be able to help. I had the original Goodyear's on my 99, and was just waiting until 30K to get rid of them for the Michelin Pilots. Well, just a few months before I was ready to do the swap, I got a #$%^ slow leak in one of the Goodyears, so I bought a brand new one. A few months later I did the Michelin swap, but told the tire guys to save the 1 new Goodyear (I figured maybe someday I would get a 17" rim and have myself a full-size spare...) It's been sitting in my garage for over a year now. Only a couple of months old. Videoman - you can have it if you can figure out a way for me to ship it and cover the shipping costs (it doesn't weigh too too much without a rim...just kinda bulky!)
  • Options
    Tom, that's great. I would think if you had a box big enough it could be shipped in there. Maybe if you have a local packaging company you could ask them how to pack it. A Mail Boxes Etc. will pack and ship but their prices are outrageous. Let me think of the best way to do this.

BTW, where are you located?

-vman
  • Options
    Sorry, I wanted to answer your question first but got them out of order. The tire that's wearing fastest is the passenger front. I sometimes have a slight pull to the left but not always. Could be a tire or alignment problem. I'll get it checked out before I put the good tires on before winter.

-vman
  • Options
    lonestarsledlonestarsled Member Posts: 226
    No need to box it up! You just need to attach a shipping label on it. Thats the way Discount Tire has special order or expedited orders shipped to them via UPS. Think about it....can they break a tire!
  • Options
    I just received my Yokohama tires here in Massachusetts shipped from Nevada's Discount Tire Warehouse. I received 2 tires one day and 2 more tires the next. They just banded the 2 tires together and shipped them without any other packaging. I was charged about $70 total for the shipping of the 4 tires across the county via FedX. The price on the tires were too good to pass up even with the shipping charges---I paid just $85 per tire plus shipping. No taxes. Thats for V-rated Yokohama 420's. Such a deal!
  • Options
    that was really bothering me to see that bare fitting staring at me--I thought that may be why I get a slight whining noise from the engine at about 2K. So why is that bare fitting there?

guess I owe you a beer---I'll
    drop one in the mail for you tomorrow--what brand do you drink?

EZ
  • Options
    you remember from the hot tub parties that i don't drink? i'm just naturally crazy! lately it's been minute maid lemonade, send me a case :)
  • Options
    I recieved yours today, thanks a lot. I got SDmikes earler. I hope to get a wing emblem to make a new custome emblem.
  • Options
    I'm in NJ, and you're in Pittsburgh, I think, so we are in adjacent states, if that matters....LOL!

Never shipped a tire before, but it may make sense to just do UPS Ground with just a label. Just give UPS a call...maybe they can just send me the call tag and label.
  • Options
    maybe I'll just send you a bottle of concentrated lemonjuice--easier to ship---just add some water and sugar and its a go....
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Thanks for the link. I can't believe Infinity put it's name on this system...I have my equalizer set with the bass all the way down (off) and the door speakers still buzz. Pathetic!

I will probably replace the front door speakers and rear deck speakers in the future...but not until after I visit my friendly Chrysler dealer to see if the "wire swap" solves the problem.

In the meantime, I am very interested in these capacitors...can you explain exactly which one you used? I didn't quite understand by your description.

Thanks!
  • Options
    jj300mjj300m Member Posts: 24
    If that fitting has a bright finish, I am reasonably certain that it is the cooling system air bleed. So, instead of vacuum tubing, it accepts 1/4" I.D. vinyl tubing to aid in getting out air in the system during a coolant change.
  • Options
    grunschevgrunschev Member Posts: 106
    It happened to me today. The "check engine" light was on solid, the speedometer read 0 mph, and the tranny was stuck in 2nd gear. So I crawled over to the local dealer and told them it was the speed sensor. The guy told me they wouldn't be able to get to it today, but would I like to leave it? Silly question. He told me the next shuttle could take me home at 1:00pm (only an hour and a half wait). But just before 1, he tracks me down and says, "Gee, you were right. It's a bad speed sensor and we have the replacement part in stock. Do you want us to fix it today?" Two for two on stupid questions.

Final damage, $185. But at least I got a "free" hot dog while I was waiting.

Igor
    PS I have just short of 55k miles on the odo.
  • Options
    lets see---$20 part, half hour at most labor--condition prediagnosed----at $185 that figues out to $165 labor or $330 per hour----I think I may pick up a spare speed sensor or two and keep a socket set in the car----was it the output sensor? do you think they preprogrammed these speed sensors to fail just after the warranty is up? Sounds like a nice money maker for Chrysler dealers---guess sometimes it pays for them to use inferior parts...
  • Options
    they are just bass blockers, they cut down the bass signal sent to the speaker. crutchfield has them, their website explains them better. here's the link:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-aVyXSUlhTXX/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=11&g=761&I=127BB150A2
  • Options
    splattsplatt Member Posts: 328
    OMFG!

I'll take one of each :-D
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Perfect. Thanks!
  • Options
    Since I have the basslink these might be just the ticket for cutting the bass down in the doors. When I turn the system WAY up my door speakers can start complaining. Where did you get yours?