Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• Options
    guesswho1guesswho1 Member Posts: 209
    got them free from my hi-fi buys, couldn't believe it, i've never bought a thing from them, i just go in and look, then buy online. any car audio shop will have them. you're an eBay maniac!
  • Options
    beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Here's something new, take a look at the "IT Edition 300M:

http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b071202.htm

• Options
    blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    I think you got ripped by your dealer. Mine only charged me $49 to replace my input sensor. I can't imagine the output sensor being any different as they are side by side.
  • Options
    I saw a PT Cruiser yesterday with a custom license plate frame:

Midlife Chrysler
  • Options
    My Michelin Pilot Sport A/S still aren't in. It will be 2 weeks since I ordered on Monday. My current tires are getting a little squirrley -- I sure hope they come in soon. I'm afraid to drive over 80 mph (darn it).
  • Options
    glennbpglennbp Member Posts: 327
    Here's a cheap and relatively easy mod. You can find this "grill" material in various colors and designs at most Home Depot type stores. The lower 2 license plate bolts are actually holding it on. The rest is just a "friction" fit. Those of you that don't need a front license plate will have to get a little more creative. One of these days I'll pull the front fascia and attach it from the back.

• Options
    I like it. How how hard is that stuff to cut?

btw - I saw a PT cruiser the other day that had a custom billet grill but the wings were attached to it. So it's obviously possible to do. The one's I see for the M's don't have it.
  • Options
    The wheels on that M are pretty cool. I wonder if they are the one's that come with the 2003 M. (I still like the 99/00 razorstars better though)
  • Options
    splattsplatt Member Posts: 328
    Blonda - hadn't noticed the wheels, I agree. Very sharp. However, with that much space I'd rather have a rotor that won't rust :D

My first thought on reading the article was "Great, now I get a backseat driver in the front?!?!?"
  • Options
    It's very easy to cut with a good pair of metal snips. I would suggest wearing some thin leather gloves though as some of the ends can be very sharp while working with it. (I found out the hard way!) Also, I put a couple of layers of masking tape over the painted areas so the metal won't scratch during the fitting process. Once you're happy with the fit, remove the tape and position the grill.
  • Options
    Thanks. I might be interested in doing that "mod" -- (I thought I was done ...lol). It would look nice on my deep slate. I don't have a front LP (but have the holes unfortunately) so maybe I could just use black bolts.
  • Options
    sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    Your family must be out of town. lol.

Hey blonda, why don't you go get yourself a set of the Yokohamas? I saw in the paper this week that Discount Tire has them on sale.
  • Options
    jona57jona57 Member Posts: 194
    glenbp-

I like it!!!

How long did it take to cut the grill, and how thick was the material you used? For those with no front plate- seems like it might be possible to attach a thin metal bracket from behind to hold the grill mod in place.

Jon
  • Options
    The thickness is only a couple of millimeters. It took about 2 hours to get it "shaped" to fit and only a few minutes to attach. Funny you should mention brackets. I have some small aluminum right angle brackets that I will use to attach the ends for a more permanent installation. I think I like the fact that it is more forward. If I attach it from behind the fascia, it won't be as noticeable. I'll live with it a while longer in it's present position before I make a final decision.
  • Options
    grunschevgrunschev Member Posts: 106
    He almost laughed at me when I said, "What will this cost me, about $100?"

Here's how it breaks down on the invoice:
    25.35 Output speed sensor
    162.85 Labor
    16.29 Misc charges (shop supplies)
    204.49 Subtotal

20.77 Adjustments (10% Fleet Advantage discount)
    3.25 Tax
    186.97 Total

This was not the dealer I wanted to go to, but given the circumstances I felt I had little choice. I don't even change my own oil.

They want me to present my Fleet Advantage card before they write it up, but that way I never really know if I'm getting the discount. "I'm sorry, I keep forgetting I have the card." It's supposed to get me 10% off parts, but I guess the guy figured he screwed me pretty well he could be generous. It ends up paying for the "Misc charges" and the tax. What sort of "shop supplies" cost me $17 bucks in this repair? Beer and pizza?

This is my first out of warranty repair.

Best of all was the information I picked up on this message board. I would have really been freaking out had I not been forewarned by this group.

Igor
  • Options
    It's almost unbelievable that any dealer service dept would have the gall to charge that kind of money for a $20 part and a 15 minute fix. And then they wonder why we don't like them or trust them. Under any other circumstances what they are doing would be against the law and they would be liable for prosecution. Face it, they will rip you off for as much as they can get away with. I wonder if there is any recourse like going to the BBB or similar organization?
  • Options
    Anyone have photo documentation of where these little suckers are?
  • Options
    Yeah I saw the Yoko's were on sale. Unfortunately I had to "pre-pay" for the Michelins before they ordered them (of course at the time I thought it would be 2-3 days). I also wanted to stay with the wider 245's (not only do they look cool, but they protect my wheels on those rare occasions I accidentally scrape a curb), they improve handling slightly too. Now if I can only talk Sears into giving me the free Die Hard battery (like they are offering with a set of Goodyears) I'll be happy (but I'm a lousy negotiator).
  • Options
    tell sears that if you don't get the tires by Wednesday (or pick a day) you want your money back because you will be forced to replace your tires by that time (due to unsafe conditions). Maybe they'll negotiate something.
  • Options
    haven't heard of anyone with a 01' or newer having these problems? is this correct, mainly 99 and 00's i'm going to order mine from oem-car-parts, so i can do it myself.

where is the TCM fuse that everyone is pulling? should i pull this when i replace the sensors.
  • Options
    dubbeddubbed Member Posts: 33
    glen, good job on the grill looks like mine. ive had mine on for about a year. i have the billet top and the chrome "speed-grill" on bottom. it does look great, and ive had lots of compliments on mine. i guess great minds think alike. lol the only bad thing about it is the bugs and rocks make little dents in the grill at high speeds. ive re-done mine twice already.

tom
    (dubson300m)
  • Options
    I asked my dealer the same thing as I have a $100 deductable on my exteneded warranty. He too laughed, but I had a much better response...."no way will it even come close to $100."
  • Options
    Yeah that was my plan to try to finagle a new battery out of Sears. Unfortunately, they can deny any blame as it's Michelin that's holding it up.
  • Options
    cmyers300mcmyers300m Member Posts: 206
    Hey, where did you get your billet grille from? I searched and couldn't find one for the M.
  • Options
    300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
  • Options
    on the grille. I have had the material for a year now and have not used it yet. It is a much finer mesh, but much heavyer guage metal.
  • Options
    some of those sensors too. So far mine have been ok. But it sounds like it is only a matter of time. May replace them before it happens.
  • Options
    It sounds like they charged you for 2.75 hours of labor. That is Hiway robbery. Maybe the extra $20 was or bandages:) If I was not a vegatarian I would have grabed about 300 of those hot dogs.
  • Options
    Talk about big brother watching you. I am sure the insureance companies and the athorites would love to get their hands on the data stored on these computers. If it sees a problem, what does it do? Yell "LOOK OUT!!!!" or "Didn't you see that other car, STUPID".
  • Options
    fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    300michael-

Glad it FINALLY arrived! Did it come by Pony Express?;-)) Glad you could use them.

splatt-

I think I'm missing something??? What do you want 2 of??

beach15-

LOL... The IT Edition!!!! I LOVED this sentence-

"It originally started as a project for an optimized hands-free telephone and then evolved into a comprehensive system that reduces the stress on the driver by protecting him or her from excess sensory stimulation."

I could give them a FEW hints of how to reduce the stress on the driver from excess sensory stimulation!! LOL.....

blonda-

I would go for it! What do you have to lose? You MIGHT just end up with a new battery!

guesswho1-

The TCM fuse is under the hood in the fuse box in front of the driver. I THINK it's the 3rd one down. They're labeled.

fastdriver
  • Options
    What's your favorite color? ;-))

http://www.detnews.com/2002/autosinsider/0207/14/c01-536535.htm

fastdriver
  • Options
    splattsplatt Member Posts: 328
    I wasn't asking for two of anything - was commenting on the it version being a backseat driver - but sitting in front of you ;)
  • Options
    scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    can be transferred from one grille to another, if the new grille material isn't too thick.

http://public.fotki.com/Scotian/300m/exterior/oem_grille/dcp_0822.html

• Options
    Scott - Did you ever fully color your grill with the Bumper & Trim Black? If so, how did it turn out?
  • Options
    splatt-

I get IT- I think! ;-))

fastdriver
  • Options
    thanks!

hey what are those things she has the color samples on? i think she's right on it with those silver with blue undertones.
  • Options
    guesswho1-

At first glance it reminded me of MICKEY MOUSE!! LOL... New color M&M's??

fastdriver
  • Options
    easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    I was just checking out the chrylser site and found a description of the wheels for the 2002 M. The Chrome ones have a clearcoat over them. I wonder if the chrome wheels for all other years have a clearcoat over them? You have to be careful what you uses to clean them if they have a clearcoat. Too much acid in the cleaner could affect the clearcoat and shine. http://www.chrysler.com/300m/exterior/wheels.html
  • Options
    bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    I saw that bronze color on a CTS on Saturday when I had the wife's Eldo in for service. It was really hard on the eyes. Don't think I could take that color on that car, or really any car. And khaki? Who the heck ever saw a car in khaki? Us oldsters get another bad rap. Platinum and Graphite are this old guy's favorites. And, unless my eyes have completely gone, the last few little cars in the promo photo don't appear to be the color the photo caption says that they are. Weird.
  • Options
    cmyers300mcmyers300m Member Posts: 206
    Thanks for the website. They show only a front grille available. Does anyone make a lower facia grille? Just curious......thanks again.
  • Options
    kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    I have the Kappa 62.5i's which come with their own crossovers. I've isolated my problem to the door grills buzzing at certain frequencies (just took them off and problem gone). I need to reshape the grill just a bit to clear the center tweeter.

The door panels just don't provide a stiff surface to mount speakers on so killing off the buzz without killing off the bass is tough.

I wonder what the future holds for stereo at DC. I see that MB has moved to Bose systems and the fact that Chrysler doesn't display the Infinity name anymore hints to me that a change is coming even though the Pacifica touts an Infinity DVD surround system.

Compared to the Infinity system in my 93 Vision TSI, this system was a disappointment. It's obvious that DC really cut corners on the the new one. The speakers are very cheap compared to what was there in 93.

Glennbp: I got the Kickers now I have to get some brackets fabbed up to mount them
  • Options
    easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    for a nice idea in mounting door speakers, check out the PT Cruiser door speakers--they are mounted on one end of the door bin and sealed off at the top and sides separating it from the rest of the bin. My dealer provided the PT when I dropped off my M last time for service. They sound much cleaner than the M--no rattles--just nice deep clean bass---
  • Options
    jj300mjj300m Member Posts: 24
    I don't think the chrome wheels have, or have ever had, a clearcoat finish. However, in talking to one of the principals at Kuntz Electroplating, there is a proprietary coating on the backside, in between spokes and in the lug holes for protection. (Check the website...the razorstar is prominently featured throughout: http://www.kuntz.com )This is how Scotian was able to buff the spoke edges to a high gloss, just by removing the textured coating. The updated TSB on chrome wheels recommends Chrysler's own wheel cleaner.
  • Options
    yeah my 98 GC had a kickbutt infinity system
  • Options
    Here's a suggestion on mounting the tweeters. Simply epoxy the back of the surface mount housing directly on the vinyl door backing behind the rear door grills. Since the tweeters weigh practically nothing, this an easy and convenient fix. If you should ever need to replace the tweeter, it's still accessible by popping out the tweeter from the housing. You'll need to cut a small notch in the plastic housing just so the wires will not interfere with the back end.
  • Options
    rstilprstilp Member Posts: 105
    Got mine installed Friday. Discount Tire had them for $100.
    Mounted, new valve stems and static balanced on the Hunter balancer. Charged me $1 for enviromental fee and $8 for old tire disposal.
    Haven't had them on the highway yet but today I'll gve 'em a test.
    I like the tread design but I'm not real thrilled with the sidewall appearance. They look different than the ones they had on display. But, V-rated tires for $400. is a hell of a deal.
    Rick/Geezer300M
  • Options
    muskateer3muskateer3 Member Posts: 103
    Thanks for the info. Will be worth the trip.
  • Options
    ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    yosito - what you have heard from me about the LX cars is what I know. I have know idea what they look like and cant wait to find out .All the LH cars will be FWD in 2004 , the LX cars are a 2004.5 model ,then they all go RWD and the ALL-SPORT (a tall car like the Pacifica)will be AWD.Yes the Detroit show should have something for us to see the direction of the LX cars.

Fastdriver- Bob , you are welcome to come Aug 19, as you are the one who got me onto this Edmunds site. If your free that day ,drive on up. Dont worry my Dig camera will be going with me.3-8 image
  • Options
    videoman1videoman1 Member Posts: 201
    on the dealer lot yesterday. I'm not too crazy about the bland looking silver trim across the dash (where wood or carbon fiber usually is) but those two tone seats were real nice.

-vman