Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• Options
    ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    The new LX model will be sold as a 2004.5 ,so there wil still be a 2003 M special and a 2004 M special.Then the LX cars go on sale late Jan 2004.The graphite paint is very nice
  • Options
    glennbpglennbp Member Posts: 327
    Might be fun - remember I've got 500 lbs of stereo stuff! I figure I'll need at least a half-second handicap! LOL
  • Options
    300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    Just take our your seats (except for the drivers, of course) Remove your spare tire, and add 2 cups of gasoline to your car, when on the line. That should make up for it. LOL
  • Options
    Except for the window motors, I think most of the 99 owners have had very few problems with there 99's. If the dealership end could fix their problmes, it would all be a mute point. I have never had a bad Chrysler product, or Ford, GM, and after 2 years even my Honda seems to be holding up.
  • Options
    bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Any idea how many of the guys from the plant are coming down for the Dream Cruise this year? I need some numbers.
  • Options
    blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    I feel guilty, but I'm starting to covet that Graphite Pro Am M sitting at the dealer I drive by every morning. I always thought there was no better color than my Slate M, but this one looks so good. I checked it out on the web...luckily for my pocketbook, it doesn't have PHG. If I bought a new M it would have to have that option. Plus if I traded in my M, even with the 0% financing for 60 months, my payments would go up $100. Is the PHG option even available on the Pro Am? (oh nevermind...I don't want to know).
  • Options
    sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    rutro...you even did the payment calculations. :) Bad news...it doesn't appear to be available with PHG (according to the "build your own" feature on the DC site)
  • Options
    but i have a 60lb hitch & my big butt. Looks like blonda would beat both of us. :)
  • Options
    joelisjoelis Member Posts: 315
    I'd like to put a new set of Michelins on my LHS. What do you guys suggest, or do you have a better alternative with a comparable price?

Thanks
  • Options
    beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    No, no PHP for the Pro-Am. I guessing it's because they figured the older golfers the car's targeted too would rather have a little float.
  • Options
    Another popular option is the Yokohama Avid T4 tire. It's under $100 from Tire Rack (http://www.tirerack.com) and gets great ratings (4 1/2 stars)
  • Options
    I believe that the local Special in our area (silver) had two-toned seats (dark edges, lighter centers). When you go to the DC website they show that the Pro Am comes with the two-toned seats, but they list only solid color seats for the Special. Anyone here clarify this?
  • Options
    silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    Some of you M'ers have had strut/strut cap issues. My 2k PHG makes a "scrunch" noise when I turn into my driveway (slowly). Sounds like driver's side.
    Does this sound like a common problem? Thanks for any advice.

Silver
  • Options
    toms99toms99 Member Posts: 252
    I replaced the Goodyears with Michelin Pilot XGT - Z4 tires on my 99LHS. Here's how they look:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/tsokol5/gallery.htm

They have 12K miles now and they are wearing fine. These tires ARE pricey (I think I paid something like $180 each, but that included mounting, balancing on a Hunter 9000 machine, lifetime free tire rotations, etc.)

The improvement, especially on wet pavement, is dramatic.

• Options
    jab02lhsjab02lhs Member Posts: 122
    Didn't Otto saw graphite was going to be available on the 03 or 03 special?
    :>) Better save those new tires and start looking for someone's old badyears to put on on for the trade in.

Hurry, Hurry, before the special rates are gone. - You know you want it!

and " What ever Lola wants Lola gets"
  • Options
    topdavistopdavis Member Posts: 10
    I had my 300M dynotested today.

I had two runs done, but during the second run from third gear to fourth gear, the car shut down when it reached 120mph.

The results were as follows:

Max POWER=172.9

Max Torque=227.3

The first run, from first to second worked fine.

The results were as follows:

Max POWER=173.5

Max TORQUE=188.1

The modifications I have done to the car:

Maganflow collector and muffler

K&N Air filter kit

The techs were surprised from the results considering they thought the 300M would be a dog. They said that at the flywheel the power was around 200. They also suggested removing the speed limiter to get a more accurate reading.

I will be placing the graphs and more detailed information on my website within the next week at http://www.topandtia.com if anyone is interested.

• Options
    seeburg222seeburg222 Member Posts: 24
    Hello to all, did anyone see the 300M stretch limo on Ebay? Here is the url if your curious:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1844901003

I dont read this board everyday, so if someone posted this before and I missed it, pardon me.

• Options
    That's funny because I did think of the tires I had just bought....'hmmm maybe they'd let me swap those for the OEM's on the new ones.' Down side to the special is that I'd have to buy new wheels...M's just gotta have chromies IMO.

(Plus my husband's getting jealous...he said he gets the next new car)
  • Options
    I could take along a passenger :-)

I'd be curious to see if the supposedly extra 3HP makes a difference.
  • Options
    easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    Yokohama 420's,V-rated-- Discount Tire---$85 on sale in Sacramento--available at your local Discount tire==ask them to match price--or have them shipped to you ( shipping extra) by calling the Nevada Warehouse at 775-359-1300
  • Options
    hmk123hmk123 Member Posts: 122
    Silver,

I have a 2001 with PHP. I also notice some noise when I turn into my drive way and park the car. Or when I drive slowly out of my parking lot. Have also wondered what that is. Am not sure how to describe the noise though. Am not sure what you mean by a "scrunch" noise. It's for sure a very low noise and you kind of have to listen for it. But for sure noticeable. Anyone else have some advise? Maybe I need to get it checked out.

Hans
  • Options
    videoman1videoman1 Member Posts: 201
    Today I ordered the parts to my dual exhaust system. Magnaflow collector and Dynomax muffler. I also ordered chrome oval tips number T564 from Truck Addons http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/subpages/toucan_tips01.htm.

SDmike, I talked to Ed at Hansons Muffler and he wasn't real interested in making my tips like yours. Said he'd rather work with people locally. He did give me a website to look at but I didn't see what I wanted. I think the ones I got look like yours anyway and were around the same price.

As for the Rendezvous in August. Will we have our own special area to show off our Ms to other people or are we just going there as spectators? I'm gonna shine my up in either case, but it would be nice knowing that we can show them off too. Hopefully I'll get most of my mods done before then. Especially the exhaust.

-vman

• Options
    That doesn't sound like Ed, but maybe he wasn't having the greatest day. :/ If you decide you still want the tips I'd be willing to drive down there and do something in person. I agree...the ones on that site look similar except there is no stagger to match the bumper shape. They should look great!

Mike
  • Options
    I have the same noise, when you turn. I have had it check out twice and it is still there. It is even worse since I had the lowering springs put on. I have check out the struts, front sway bar, and control arm bushings. But every one I talk to says it is common when the bushing or isolators are going. To me it sounded like the noise the universal joints used to make before they gave out. I thought it was the CV joints at first.
  • Options
    fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    jab02lhs-

Mmmmm.......Bright red Hemi C convertible...... VERY tempting, but the thought of EVER dealing with another "5-STAR" OR factory rep turns me RIGHT off! They will NEVER have a chance to treat me like an idiot again! I'm too happy with what I have now. 17,000 miles in 16 months and not one problem! People can say what they want about 'reliability" or "perceived reliability" and first year models and suppliers etc. - the bottom line is- do you have to keep going to the dealer for annoying things or can you enjoy your new ride for at LEAST a year without something falling off, leaking, breaking, not working etc. To each his own.

bigmike5-

LOL... My 'oriental flame" would kick Christine's butt! ;-))))

fastdriver
  • Options
    guesswho1guesswho1 Member Posts: 209
    i had the same problem with my 00' php, and so have several others here. the solution is to have the strut caps and plates/mounts replaced as per TSB 02-01-00. it made a scrunching/crunching/perculating type sound when going over bumps and rough pavement at slow speeds and when turning in parking lots. this is a $155 repair, nothing major. i faxed the info to my 5star they called me in and fixed it the first time. the mileage was 5k

2 caps 2018266AA
    1 mount 4782018AB
    1 mount 4182019AC
  • Options
    those tips from truckaddons are stainless steel---Mike's are just chromed non-stainless---I plan on getting the ones you ordered maybe before the fall-- are you using the factory long pipe? are you using stainless mufflers and pipes or just the regular ones? I want to look into an all stainless system---never have to worry about them again and a good selling point when I move onto my next car.
    EZ
  • Options
    ordered the input and output $29 from oem-car-parts. getting them friday, should i go ahead and replace them? or keep them in the glove box? hmmm
  • Options
    are those the black covers visible in the engine compartment--and are the mounts part of the struts ---will they get worse if you just ignore the sound and leave them alone?
  • Options
    let us know if the new ones are plastic as are the old ones? do you have the part numbers for those sensors? I think everyone should probably buy a pair--cheap insurance ==any garage should be able to install them---
  • Options
    i built a nice custom sub box for my m, yeah i'm bob villa, should have photos up by this weekend. ya gotta wait and see!!! you're gonna like it, room left for clubs :)
  • Options
    about a 14 yr old caddy broadsided a brand new Mercedes--caddy was going up a one way street and went straight through the intersection into the drivers door of the Mercedes --no one badly hurt---those curtain airbags are well worth it---
  • Options
    we want pictures!
  • Options
    had to run out to the car again!!!
    4800878 input
    4800879 output
  • Options
    yes they are the black round things there on each side and the mounts are what the struts are "mounted" to.
  • Options
    so what wears--is there a bushing in the mount that becomes loose---why do you have to replace the caps---do they get damaged from the strut rubbing against them? just curious---thanks for the numbers ---I had trouble finding them on the oemparts site---

PS--guess I owe you another bottle of concentrated lemon juice..
  • Options
    No noise over bumps, just turning on flat level ground. I know it is not the strut caps because I do not have any on right now (they are sitting in my trunk), so I know it is not them. One question on the strut mount numbers, could it be 4782 018AB and 4782 019AC Instead of starting with 4182? I do not show the numbers you listed. The strut caps end in an AC now. They keep makeing changes.
  • Options
    Is it possible to get the Air Charger without the cone air filter? All I'd want is the intake tube from the TB to the filter. I'd also want the heat shield.

The reason I ask is because I've been thinking about that e-RAM electronic supercharger system http://www.electricsupercharger.com/. If I got something like that, I'd just be swapping it for the Air Charger filter anyway.

-vman

• Options
    The aircharger kit comes in one box with all the trimmings. I doubt you could get it without the filter. You could always sell it on eBay or something. Before you go spending good money though, I think you should read some opinions on that ram air device. I read a study on it and the guys that did the study determined that the forced air effect wasn't enough to increase the HP hardly at all. Maybe 1 hp at WOT. It just can't move enough air given it's size and speed.
  • Options
    99_300m_ric_va99_300m_ric_va Member Posts: 377
    Yeah go ahead and replace those sensors. It's easy to do and cheap insurance. Then order another set for spares. :D
  • Options
    or just keep the old ones for an emergency
  • Options
    99_300m_ric_va99_300m_ric_va Member Posts: 377
    I read about a TSB awhile back that the fix for these noises was strut caps. I believe it was in the title of the TSB. I said then and I say now Bull! My fix was and still is this. Jack the car next to each wheel to get the strut to extend out, and get some synthetic grease and rub it on the shiny chrome shaft and especially around the white plastic/rubber bushing. Simple.

I used the Amsoil spray grease http://www.amsoil.com/products/glcspray.html , since I had some and it was convienent and synthetic grease is not water soluable so it will last a long time. If you drive through a big water puddle at a good speed to give yourself a "wheel well power wash" it can wash away the grease and the noise will come back. That happened to me once. It's been about two years since I've heard the noise now.

I also had a creaking leaf spring on my Dodge Ram back when it was new. Everyone could hear it when I drove in parking lots and through the neighborhood. Spray grease to the rescue again. I had to take a couple of attempts to get the grease in just the right spot. 8 years later, still no creaking.

• Options
    and dirt causes wear---if the strut cap and mount solves the problem without grease and its covered under warranty, sounds like a better fix to me..
  • Options
    jgranatajgranata Member Posts: 70
    with your problem? your 300m dies on the road and the dealer couldn't locate the prob? what was the
    outcome? jackg
  • Options
    Hi Mike,

Do you remember where you read those studies? I've been doing some internet searching and it seems like people who have it installed are pretty impressed with it. These aren't manufacture websites. They're real people like you and me with websites for their cars.

The e-RAM people say you'll get at least 4% increase in HP. That's a minimum of 10 extra ponies. I'm far from ordering the thing cause I research things to death. I just figured if I'm gonna spend a couple of hundred bucks on an Air Charger anyway, why not spend another hundred or so for the e-RAM.

-vman
  • Options
    Well it happened to me....only not on my 99LHS with 42K, but on my wife's 2001 Concorde with just 6,200 miles! I thought 30K was the "sweet spot" for this failure....and I thought DC had improved the sensors (or changed vendors) in the most recent model years.

Is 6,200 miles some type of record for early senor failure?
  • Options
    beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Yeah, you probably did just set a record (though it's not a good one!). Hmm, how many are you going to buy to keep in the glove box....
  • Options
    joelisjoelis Member Posts: 315
    Just happened to me last week on a 99 LHS with 52K.
  • Options
    Just got a call from the Service Manager...It wasn't either one of the sensors....it was the "transmission module"....so it looks like I don't win the speed sensor "pool" after all!!