Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    I want the tires!! :)
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    you know what they say--when you have lemons, make lemonade

The main thing is that no one was hurt--I just wouldn't want to be the owner of that M when she makes that call to her insurance company informing them of the details of the accident with her brand new 33K car. Or when she has to explain to her husband why she didnt bring home the nice shiny new 300M.

Well--look at the brights side. Chrysler may soon be selling her another 300M. That should also please the Chrysler dealer where she bought it.

I still will take the mirrors if they chop up that nice new M. And I could use the clear tailights too!
    EZ
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    I know! It's just so bizarre, but in 4 months, there's still nothing wrong with the "big ugly, plastic lego box." It's so weird to me, as with our 2 past Chryslers, by the 2 month mark they started making odd noises, usually rattling. Oh, and to not have one of our many "friends" at the "5-star" calling a few times a week...what a life!

On June 22, we were headed south for a week in Nags Head. But, before you get off the Delmarva peninsula, there's a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealer that I've been past a few times before. Right there, in the front of the used car lot was a 99' or 00' Deep Slate 300M sitting on those steep, metal display ramps. At first, I thought, well, how would I know if it was ours? But, looking to the rear, I saw the chrome exhasut pipes coming out of the muffler. As you might remember, after the crash, they replaced our 00' exhaust with the full system from a 2001 model, so we had the newer chrome exhaust tips. So far, it's the only 99'-00' M I've seen with the 01' rear muffler. But, the dealer called after I emailed him. My brother got the message and said something about that it wasn't our car and then talking about some "Cobalt" Blue 2003. I had to ask 4 times, but he swore that was what the guy left on the machine, so it wasn't the car.

In a bit of an odd twist though, there is a freshly traded in 2000 Deep Slate/Agate 300M at the dealer where we used to take Christine II. I've seen it advertised and saw it sitting out front the other day. It's identical to ours other than a pinstripe. My mother said "Someone already probably bought mine and traded it in again. That car was a piece of junk." Oh well, life goes on...
  • kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    Yeah Chrysler may be able to sell her another car if the first one is totaled but more likely it will spend several months in the body shop.

One thing is for sure, I wouldn't want to pay her insurance tab afterwards. Oh are they going to stick it to her for that moment of impatience - especially if the car is totaled.
    It would be nice if there was an "ignore" button like they have in yahoo forums for certain obvious reasons.
    It's a nice feature, and pretty common on message boards.
  • splattsplatt Member Posts: 328
    and who are you planning on ignoring????? (he asks with much sarcasm)

- don't answer that :D:D
  • mikeyjohnmikeyjohn Member Posts: 365
    Where is that button??????
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The "ignore" feature is self-implementable. Just skip that which you wish to ignore. :)
  • guesswho1guesswho1 Member Posts: 209
    "self-implementable" did you get that from a George W. speech???
    my peripheral vision is too good. ;)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
  • sosborne_300msosborne_300m Member Posts: 7
    Here's something that may interest alot of you that had questions about the E-RAM, etc..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1845990476

May bew worth a shot - MUCH cheaper - and who knows - perhaps it can be enhanced to fit the custom airboxes.

One of the negative comments is that it was a "boat blower", not even made for cars. The response from the seller is that the person leaving the comment was a competitor trying to ruin him....but that's a lie because that person hadn't sold anything on eBay...ever. So, my guess is that the guy was telling the truth. My guess is that the unit uses more power than it generates. Maybe try the hardware section at K-mart for a 12 volt fan. ;)

At least people are starting to realize that we like modifying our Ms. :)
    What we need to find out is our stock manifold pressure and our intake flow rate at WOT and see if the e-ram's 1psi pressure increase and 750cfm flow rate would be significant. The one in the auction is 150cfm, which is hardly enough to cool a computer let alone significantly increase pressure.
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    150 CFM is nothing. Our engines are 215 Cu In. displacement or .124 Cu Feet.. At 2000 RPM the engine needs 248 CFM. This will restrict the air flow! To boost the presssure you need to supply more air than needed and have a fan that supplies enough static pressure to "boost" the pressure. JUNK!
  • figgman_snrfiggman_snr Member Posts: 2
    Can someone please summarize the recommendations regarding 300M brake rotor warping?

i.e.
    prevention/minimization
    shaving vs. replacing rotors
    stock or aftermarket replacement rotors
    stock or aftermarket replacement pads

I have 1999 300M with 31K miles and am experiencing vibration/pulsation when braking. Rotors and pads show negligble wear, so I assume I am suffering from warped rotors.

Thanks,
    Les.
  • figgman_snrfiggman_snr Member Posts: 2
    Have others experienced a crack in the dash/facia over the passenger side air bag? Mine initially looked like a knife cut, and has slowly (over 3 months) extended to 2 inches in length.

Is this common? Will the dealer replace under warranty?
  • toms99toms99 Member Posts: 252
    I love this quote:

"Rammed air flows clockwise into intake tube for maximum boost"

Geez, I always worried about that damn counter-clockwise air not giving me enough HP! Thank goodness this product corrects that!
    It depends. What year and how many miles? If it is in the warranty period and was not inflicted by some instrument of destruction, they should replace it.
  • splattsplatt Member Posts: 328
    As for the brakes - several people have gotten them changed for aftermarket, both the rotors and pads. Personally, I changed the fronts at 33k and just had the rotors recut. You really don't need to replace them unless you want a different look. You can get a better brake, but it'll cost about 3-5x what the pad replace/rotor recut will cost. If your rotors have to be replaced, then you might consider something different (or I should say at that point I may...)

As for the crack - there is a crack just below the surface where the airbag breaks through (I would assume...) that may be what's showing through. If it's under warranty it will be covered.
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    Give me a brake. The Eram is not enough, but this one is only puts out 1/5 the air. I may make a nice personal fan. That is the same cf my trunk fan has.
  • fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    So far my car 2002 CL-S is ok, & doesn't have any tranny issues. I just past 12K miles. 2 trips to NYC, & several to Orlando.
  • fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    The car was damaged really bad on the drivers side. The passanger side, front, & back were all damaged too. It looked like a total.
  • videoman1videoman1 Member Posts: 201
    Supercharger on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/ eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1845990476&sspagename=ADME:B:ON:US:1

(Take out the space after /ws/)

Another source for the "Supercharger":

http://www.iboats.com/products/7/2486_attwood_turbo_blowers.html

Check out the description bullet number 2. It's a marine blower for bilge gasses.

-vman

Good Research! You can buy that "bilge gas blower" for $19 directly from iboats.com....and of course the bid is over $40 on eBay!!
  • glennbpglennbp Member Posts: 327
    For those of you that asked about the Trenz grill and the stock emblem...

Glenn! You've been a busy boy! Looks awesome. Can't wait to see it in person.
    I'm going to report this idiot to eBay. One of those bilge gas fans is going for over $70 to some unsuspecting person!!
    He set these up as private auctions so I can't email his bidders about his scam.
    Sdmike, if you're on EBAY and do a search on Electic supercharger, you'll see tons of these trying to be sold to just about every car make and model. The ads are almost identical, too.

Glenbp, is that the Billet grill with an emblem added or is it a completely different one? It looks great.

-vman
    It's the same Trenz grill that others have. I just carefully removed the emblem from the stock grill and stuck it on with some auto trim tape. I'm not sure if I like it with or without just yet. Time will tell!
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    glenbp-

Looks great. Nice touch!

Press here to IGNORE! ;-))))))))))))))

fastdriver
    I'm not sure if the 750cfm e-ram would be totally ineffective in our cars. If the 215 cubic inch (.124 cubic feet) engine at 2000 RPM uses 248cfm of air, then at 5000 RPM it would use 620cfm. 750cfm would be a 20% increase. Tromping on the gas and hitting WOT at 3000 RPM the E-ram would kick in and cram 750 in where the car would normally be ingesting less than 1/2 that amount. Might make a difference from a pure physics standpoint. However, the tuning of the engine and the computer might compensate to some degree.

I have to think though if it was this easy to increase performance DC would have put one on the engine. They can't be more than $25-$30 to make. And if it was this easy why do superchargers use big pullies and such to achieve the gains? If the e-ram wasn't so expensive I might try it.
    Doesn't a turbocharger compress the air before sending it to the combustion chamber? I thought I read that compressed air will hold more fuel than uncompressed air thus giving more power. Add an intercooler and you now have cool compressed air.

The e-ram only blows more air into the engine but doesn't seem to compress it.
    Insurance co's typically won't total it if the cost to repair is less than 50% of the value of the vehicle. That's about $17k for a Special. You'd pretty much have to destroy the drivetrain for that to happen on a new car. I'd bet they'll rebuild it.
    here's the custom sub box i built myself, don't be drooling on my web page now!!! heee... i thought one 10 was enough but with two, it's like a concert, makes the system come alive. the only problem is i can't see out the rear view now. if i could only do one mod this would be it...getcha some boom boom in da zoom zoom baby!!! :)

http://groups.msn.com/Racefan9s2000Chrysler300m/ampinstall.msnw

i'm running two 10" Polk GNX's with the US Acoustic 2150 pushing 150 to each. never again will i pay $500 for an amp. this amp has better numbers than the fosgate power series. the polk's are great i have polk home theater so i thought i would try these, very impressed they have a 93spl rating.

Race

do you always run it with the seats down? Is it muffled at all with the seats up? Did you disconnect any factory speakers? Where did you buy the covering material? Is it solid wood or is it flake board

Nice neat install ---looks great.
    WITH, definately! Without the emblem, and on the 2002+'s, there just looks like something's missing and/or out of wack. Not ugly, it's just that the front end is SO much better looking with the wing in the middle.

My father and I have actually had discussions over this everytime he either sees a new M or another Chrysler with the wing "misplaced". For instance, each time I showed him pictures of the Pacifica and Crossfire, the first thing he did was point to the emblem and say "Looks good, except for the stupid emblem. Put it in the middle of the grill and it would look great." I agree.
  • wire2wire2 Member Posts: 188
    Hi guys, just back from 3 weeks vacation up north on a lake.
    Have been following the thread on e-ram and offer the following;

>215 Cu In. displacement or .124 Cu Feet.. At 2000 RPM the engine >needs 248 CFM....

Since it's a 4 stroke design it's really 124 cfm, (1 intake for 2 revolutions). That also assumes 100% cylinder fill,(no intake vacuum). Anyway...

Someone quoted current draw of 50 amps, X 12 volts = 600 watts.
    1 horsepower (at 100% efficiency) is 746 watts, so converting 600 watts to mechanical energy at typical efficiency of 25% yields less than ¼ hp to compress air.
    It just ain't gonna happen.
    Glad you like it...
    i always run it with the seats UP!!! it sounds the best this way. this isn't some thrown together shadetree sub box. it was specifically engineered for the m. if the subs were positioned up the back deck would rattle. the only thing that rattles is the change in my ashtray. it is made out of 3/4" mdf(medium density fiberboard) covered in sub box carpet available at most sound shops. i didn't disconnect any of the factory speakers. the bass setting on the radio is set at half way to keep the bass going to the factory speakers down...the bad boys will lift the hair off the back of your head!!! no joke!!!
    Beach - Thanks, I'm beginning to really like it with the emblem as well. Plain, it looks more like the front of those customized trucks with the tubular grills (Well, sort of...)

Guesswho - Awesome job on the sub box! Give us more details like dimensions, materials, etc.

Wire2 - I think that says it all about eRams!
    Hey, did the new LX-cars you saw before look like the 2005 New Yorker on this site?:

http://thehollywoodextra.com/chrysler/chrysler.html

I realize that while many people like to say that this guy's pictures are often fake, made-up, or wrong, the facts stand, that after the car's are revealed, he was right all along. This car clearly is a photo-op special, but does it even remotely resemble what you saw?

• ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    the site is fake. Lots of bad Photoshop work.
    nothing like it. The prototypes that I saw looked the Dodge Super8 concept car in terms of shape and lines, with the grill of that New Yorker on a flat face. Boy that sounds ugly as I typed it. lol. It wasn't that bad. :)
  • 300mlover300mlover Member Posts: 132
    Just popped in to catch up on some 300m chit chat....I miss my 300 really bad! I am going to buy a Used special in about 3 months. Factory Big Wig's car! Cant wait! Click the link to see Pics of my old 300M, my new Durango and My OLD BUT BEAUTIFUL MOPAR!

http://public.fotki.com/cmc300m/

I asked the vent fan guys a couple of questions, on PSI boost on the fan (should be ZERO), warranties on their claims of 60 additional HP, and such. No replies yet.
    Looks great. I have been debating on weather to go this route.
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    well its back to work Monday. The 03's start rolling off the line at 6am .
    Hmmmm, I wouldn't bet against that picture being a strong possibility. The wheels appear to be outsized to the vehicle but the whole front end is like nothing Chrysler has release pictures of.
    If it's totally conconcted in Photoshop, the person was really a stickler for detail. To include the gap line for the hood where they did is quite a feat if they were swagging it. I'll grant the roof and windshield does look lifted from a Sebring.

The recent talk was that the 300N wouldn't have a unique body of it's own, that it would be a variant of the "New Yorker". That would take it back to the way the original letter cars were done. They were just variants of the standard Chrysler's with trim and detail changes.