Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• Options
    bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Blonda--You were right on the clocks. Both were out of whack. I had the digital one on the station setting until I checked it today and it was way off. The analog was only off about 15 minutes. Had to be when they switched the battery.

Beach--Yeah, a typo on CTS but the V model is coming in 04 with a 5.7 in it. Unfortunately, they may try to push it up to where Eldorado prices used to be, instead of where it should be. I will have to see what the prediction is on the suggested sticker if I am still in the market when it comes out.

Easy-- On the grill. Do what makes you feel right. If you like it, that is what counts. Everyone has different tastes/likes/dislikes, so, if it makes you feel good, go for it.

Hesitation is officially over! No more hesitation/delay on starting since the starter relay and starter switch got changed. I will post part numbers when I get the invoice from the dealer so if anyone has a similar problem in the future you will know where to start.
  • Options
    300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    Don't worry about the 2.7L It will be like the driving the current 3.2L Going to RWD will net the drivetrain a lot of extra ponies. As for using the same platform. Auto companies have been doing this for almost a Century now. Drive a Special and then a 2.7L Concorde same platform but night and day experance.
  • Options
    Most of the pictures look like Dodge vehicles. I hope they do not build them (ugly). Just build the HemiC (like the convertable but not, the front end as well as my M) and go back to the cabfoward look.
  • Options
    drpixeldrpixel Member Posts: 256
    First, OTTOWKR and/or WIRES2....the dreaded light show problem has returned-again. I am now taking eMily to a 7* Dodge dealer near my home. These people are pulling out all the stops to find out what the REAL cause is for the light show effect.
    wires2 sent me an email message about something to do with the Instrument Panel sensor (IP?..) perhaps sending an incorrect signal to BCM...etc, etc... Can you re-send me the email if you still have it, or re-explain what you think the problem is? Emily will be 3 years old this June, and I don't want to wait too long. I want this @#$%ing problem fixed well before that time.

Still looking for job--doesn't seem I'll get one before end of this year...am rapidly losing my mind--I think....so many people out of work...otto, wires2 ..please send to home email ASAP as my apointment with Dodge is Thursday morning. ANYONE else who has had this problem and has had it corrected, please email me also with the fix YOUR dealer used.....

Chatroom problem has been fixed....

Doc
  • Options
    blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    I'm with ya on the mesh grill. Already got dibs on one from 300M01. I think it will look classy and cool at the same time (like the Jag Type S-R).
  • Options
    ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    In my 1999 300M BOTH front seats were 8-way power.
  • Options
    ajpiiiajpiii Member Posts: 260
    Rule !!

I want one too... Who's Making them ? How much ? Count me in !
  • Options
    wire2wire2 Member Posts: 188
    >otto, wire2 ..please send to home email ASAP

Done
  • Options
    My '01 (with lux option) has 8-way on both.
  • Options
    You'll have to go to the "other" board that I'm not allowed to mention here. Under the "Custom Body Work" discussion
  • Options
    svevarsvevar Member Posts: 160
    I've been in `99, `00 (own this one), `01, and `02 300M's, and each has had eight way power, luxury group or not. I don't know why Chrysler would reduce passenger to 4 Way, esp. since most competitors offer 8 way.
  • Options
    I plan on working on another style with expanded mesh, and hexmesh. Good luch 300M01 on your design. Will also be working on version 4 of my center console, at least when I can get off (lower back injury) my back.
  • Options
    What's next leave off the fenders?
  • Options
    blowbyublowbyu Member Posts: 26
    I have a '99, but I like the '01 tail lights. The dealer said $170 each...does anyone know where I can get them cheaper?

Thanks
  • Options
    jona57jona57 Member Posts: 194
    Item 1-Don't get too upset about the new model 300 until it gets here. There can be big differences between artist conceptions & actual production vehicles. I'm holding my opinion for now as various graphics I've seen range from good to hideous.

Item 2- I started my previously trouble free '01 M a few days ago (very cold weather) & had an awful metallic vibration/growling noise upon start-up. The noise quieted as it warmed up. Now I think I'm hearing a new metallic growling noise under moderate engine load at 1500-2500 rpm. Some owners on DodgeIntrepid.net have reported a resonator or muffler going bad (loose interior pieces) causing similar symptoms. Anyone had this problem in their M??? BTW- The car runs great & I have not been underneath it to make sure it's not either road debris caught somewhere or a vibrating heat shield or hanger.

Jon
  • Options
    jab02lhsjab02lhs Member Posts: 122
    The tail lights list for $160.00 right $169.00 left

Try here $117.00 right / $123.00 left

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=selectTree&CatalogID=2&siteid=39
  • Options
    ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    Actually Chrysler was pretty unique in this. Most competitors only offer 4-way power front passenger seat. Unless you go into a higher price segment.

My TL-S has 4-way passenger seat. I always wish it were 8-way. I think Infiniti I35 and G35 also offers only 4-way. Nissan Maxima - 4-way.

The only other cars I know that offer 8-way or more passenger seat in this price range are Buick LeSabre and Pontiac Bonneville SSEi. Actually SSEi used to be 12-way on the previous models and now has 10-way.
  • Options
    Regardless of the competiton's situation, I don't think Chrysler should delete useful features that might give it an edge over other cars in the class. The loss of headrests and seat motors is unacceptable...
  • Options
    mrl859mrl859 Member Posts: 168
    First off, I agree fully that de-contenting a car from one year to the next is not the way to bring new and repeat buyers into the showroom. I was appalled to find the '02 had lost the lights on the radio EQ controls, the 4 way adjustability of the front headrests, the "Infinity" logos on the front door tweeter enclosures, and the rubber mat in the bottom of the center console. Trivial, but ridiculous. These had all been changed from model year 01 to 02.
    I feel certain that my 01 with luxo had 4 way passenger seat. I remember discovering it on my 02 and flying out to the 01 to compare. Please realize that the switch looks the same, but it doesn't tilt on the ends. Those who replied previously, check and see if yours really does go 8 ways. I am over 40, so I may be losing my marbles....if I ever had any.
  • Options
    easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    go to mechanicsvilledodge.com---the tail lights you want are only $123 for the left and $117 for the right---and I believe the may offer free shipping over a certain amount---such a deal!
  • Options
    easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    I had the same light show problem---they replaced the BCM and as yet I have not seen the problem in 2 weeks---I also think it helped my AC operation as now I dont have to turn up the temp to 75 to get heat when its 30 outside---now any setting above 60 gives heat--and I think my overhead outside temp monitor may be more accurate too---and I also got my seat heater fixed---warm buns this winter...
  • Options
    Mechanicsville Dodge is very good. Also try Wyckoff Chrysler on the net. They have good prices on all parts, usually 35% cheaper than my local dealer.
  • Options
    Although not by me, just kidding. Also check salvage yards I got mine (99 changed to 01) for about 75 dollars each.
  • Options
    If they are going to do (removing featrues) things like that, to lower the cost/price. Then they should at least offer them as options. At least in later 99's and 00's they added stuff.
  • Options
    I agree with you on the HemiC, but it seems the design departments are looseing it. Since the merger, I have not seen one model that I truely like. The Atlantic is the last one I have seen that I really liked. My god even the Honda Accord looks a lot better. After all they are calling the designs 2-box and so on. Doesn't sound too exciting, or Aerodynamic.
    Another point, is performance. All the other makers will have or will release a comperable vehicle by that time. Even Fords new Mustang will be very simular. Too bad they didn't release the Hemi C as a 00 model. Wishful thinking.
    No spam please.
    I will at the present be keeping my M for at least another 10 years it looks like.
  • Options
    The passengers seats in my 99 are definitely 8-way. As a matter of fact I remember the 99 and 00 brocures making a specific point of mentioning 8 way seats in both driver and passenger.

Do you think maybe they are trying to use up existing stock before the switch to the new platform? Perhaps they have a surplus of the Intrepid seats. Not wise by a buyer's perspective, but possible.
  • Options
    Put a new Magnet Bra on my M yesterday. Good thing you don't have to take them off much....it was a &#@*% to put on. First getting it centered was a challenge without dragging it across the hood. Then the trim that goes around the edge was very tight and hard to push on without damaging the bra. Looks pretty good on. Actually, on the deep slate, from a distance you can't even tell it's there. My vinyl hood cover was getting a little worse for wear being it was 2 years old. I'll probably buy another to use as my "summer" bra.

Now all I need to do is get my molded mud guards on and I'll be ready for winter (if you can call it "winter" here in San Diego).
  • Options
    drpixeldrpixel Member Posts: 256
    Just a quick howdy-doo from the Doctor....still unemployed..still searching...STILL pi$$ed off at the mule-buttocks who did this to me. I understand through my contacts at my former emplyer that they have retained the services of an outside consultant to the tune of $300,000 for the re-design of the Bank's external website http://www.newyorkfed.org/

This site was 'designed' by an associate of mine whom I taught everything she knows about graphics and web design. She had left the Bank to work for a dt.com start-up....could cut it there and came back to the Bank--but finageled a promotion to supervisor. She did not know about the collapsing navigation menu on the left when she left the Bank, and sure as heck didn't know it when she got back...hmmmm, perhaps a ghost coder wrote it for her?.....in any case, the point here is that they 'downsized' myself and 4 others from my department, and NOW the Bank has the $$$ to shell out $300,000 to redesign this external site?...am I losing my mind or have they lost all sense of reason?...oh, well....

other news...The chatroom problem has been fixed. Seems Quickchat changes the port location for the route to the chatroom, but neglected to inform users...the temporary fix I tried added a 'nickname' box, which only seemed to confuse people further, and STILL did not work. I have corrected the problems and the chatroom is now fully functional (as of 4:28pm, Tuesday the 10th..). Sorry for the unvailability of the room, but its fixed.

wire2, otto...

Thanks for email re:light ashow problem...in the earlier message you mentioned you were going to ask the 'repair boys' about the raratic/flakey CdS sensor in the middle of the Instrument Panel....I go Thursaday a.m. to get this fixed.....

Doc

• Options
    muskateer3muskateer3 Member Posts: 103
    At 27K/m on my 2nd set of tires (Conti CH95) the edges are pretty much toast, but center tread looks fine (keep pressure at 34psi).

Have had alignment checked and was told all is well. I have also looked at quite a few M's in my area (various tires - GY, Mich) and all seem to have the same tendancy.

Anyone here having these issues? Are adjustment shims for the front end the answer? Want to address before I put yet another set on.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

M3
  • Options
    If the outside and inside edges are wearing and not the center it means your tires are under inflated. I have Bridgestones and they are at around 43# so you can't use the standard 34 (I did use 34 when I had the LS tires) Check to see what the maximum setting for the tires is and take off about 10 pounds as a starting point.
  • Options
    fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    bmadden1 -

I know what you mean! That's what your co-worker gets for buying a car with "perceived reliability"! He should have just stuck with good, old American technology and he would have been fine.

Oh well, live and learn. Look at what Motor Trend just named as Car of the Year! What were they thinking?

fastdriver
  • Options
    jona57jona57 Member Posts: 194
    I hear you!!!!! I still love my '01 M with the lux group & PHG. The "decontenting" of the '03's is inexcusable. I cannot think of another 4 door sedan which betters the style of the '01 M inside & out. (Well, maybe an S-class Benz interior, but I could have 3 M's for that!!!). My only wishes are for a bit quieter interior and (as any male) more power. A turbo or supercharger would have been a great option for the 300M, but now all I can hope for is a good aftermarket unit to become available.

My prediction is that I will eventually agree with you about the "dumbing-down" of Chrysler by the merger. As an ex-Chrysler employee I can still dream this will not happen!!!!

Jon
  • Options
    kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    Well the only things I know of that cause that are:

1. Underinflation, maybe 34 PSI for those tires isn't enough.
    2. Tires way too narrow for rims.
    3. You do a lot of left and right turns at really high speeds. (kidding)

Alignment wouldn't cause both outside edges to wear. Just one or the other.
  • Options
    denisefromca1denisefromca1 Member Posts: 22
    http://www.chrysler.com/inside/concept/hemi.html

According to this, The 300C has a 5.7 liter engine. This car is indeed a beauty and if I have my way, my next ride!

• Options
    muskateer3muskateer3 Member Posts: 103
    Thanks for the advice.

300michael - Do you actually run your tires at 43psi? If so what brand / size tire and have you noticed any handling issues?

kosh_2258 - I am running 225/55/17 which is stock size. Have contemplated going to 235/55/17 Dunlop Sport A2 for the next set. May the wider tire and more psi will alleviate the edge wear.

Thanks again to both of you,

M3
  • Options
    The car you higlighted is everyone's favorite, and was the star at all the auto shows a couple of years ago. That is the 300 Hemi C. But the car that will be coming out as a 2004.5 model is an ugly spud that they are thinking about calling a 300C either because they don't want to use 300N or they can't go that far up the alphabet. The two are really apples and oranges. Everyone has been telling them to make the 300 Hemi C, so instead them come out with the Crossfire, a grossly under HP'd two seater, and go to that ugly little spud that might be called the 300C or the 300N. I think the "C" in 300 Hemi C stands for convertible. I would much prefer it as a coupe...but I could take either one if it went into production. As for the 300N or 300C or whatever they badge it [New Yorker, Diplomat?? Avalon, Buick], they can keep it.
  • Options
    I have Bridgestone Potenza S0-3 Pole Positions. They have a max pressure rating of 52psi, but the 43psi. works good for me.
  • Options
    tom_tom_ Member Posts: 25
    Does anyone know how to replace the glass amber front parking lamp? Mine is broken. Also - is it ok for water to get in there since the glass is gone for now?
  • Options
    lonestarsledlonestarsled Member Posts: 226
    I just got a 2002 "winged" steering wheel airbag to replace my boring 2000 "blue ribbon" airbag. My question is, has anybody replaced their airbag? Does the car have enough onboard diagnostics to make sure the new airbag is functioning properly?
  • Options
    >Perhaps they have a surplus of the Intrepid seats.

Seats, along with IP's, floor carpet and door trim are manufactured on a "Just in Time" concept. A car's specs on barcode are broadcast to the vendors when the it leaves the paint dept. and goes to trim/chassis/final. Typically the parts are made and shipped within 24 hours of assembly.

>...is it ok for water to get in there since the glass is gone?

It will cause corrosion around the lamp contacts fairly quickly. To avoid it, pull the lamp out, coat the base with lots of vaseline or clear grease and replace. It's OK to leave it there even after you replace the lens.

> going to ask the 'repair boys' about the erratic/flakey CdS sensor..

I did, they confirmed my suspicion that it could cause the light show problem.
  • Options
    ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    lonestarsled- the airbag does not function ? it just sits there till you get in an accident. Can the airbag control module tell if your airbag is ok to fire , nope.It does check for continuity of the circuit but cant tell if the bag will fire . You will have to hope it works if you ever get in an accident. This is one part that cant be tested before use.
    When you are going to change to the new one remove the power from the vehicle before you do this and let it sit for about 10 min. before going any further . This will allow any power stored in the control module to drain and you let you replace the airbag with the new one without any incidents. One thing , over the years we have had at least 3 changes to the connector for the horn wire on the back of the airbag , the new bag you have may not match. You may have to cut your old horn wire off the old airbag and solder it onto the new airbag. All connectors for the airbag power itself are all the same so you should have no problem with that. Also just to let you know you never ever cut and solder the airbag power wires . DC has a policy if a wire is cut on the airbag power wire the whole harness must be replaced.
  • Options
    lonestarsledlonestarsled Member Posts: 226
    Thanks for the helpful info!! Do you think it would be easier to change the air bag cover only, and would this solve the horn connector problem? Thanks again for the info.
  • Options
    The mosture will also get between the plastic and the chrome coating flaking it off. If you email me by hitting my name I can give you some ideas (Not allowed to mention links here)
  • Options
    brimstonsmbrimstonsm Member Posts: 24
    You have to pull the front fracisa just as if you
    are changing the headlight bulbs. The amber park lens is held by two philip screws.
  • Options
    lonestarsled - I would not go this route , as when you remove the cover you may mess up the packing of the airbag itself , then you may have problems putting the new one back on .
  • Options
    russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    Chrysler is even decontenting the brochures!
    The 2003 300M brochure has no specification page...that's right, no measurements, capacities...nothing!
    How do they expect anyone to make a buying decision?
    I'm getting disgustet with the whole decontenting situationn It's precisely why I left Ford for Chrysler in 1998.
    Soon it will be adios Dieter & Co.
  • Options
    I noticed the "decontenting" of the brochures, too! I am sickened not only by the decontenting of Chrysler's cars, but also by the redesign of their brochures. All of the brochures seem much shorter than in previous years, and, as Russklass mentioned, do not list specifications. Also, the content of the brochures is pretty bad, too. The upper management at Chrysler group has expressed its intention to move the Chrysler brand more upscale and away from Dodge. Why, then, do the new brochures look like they've come from Kia? They are filled with goofy jokes and aren't nearly serious or informative enough, at least in my opinion. For a brand that's supposedly looking to move upscale, the brochures seem to be a step in the wrong direction. Do you agree?
  • Options
    tom_tom_ Member Posts: 25
    Thanks for your input in helping me with me light. brimstonsm - I didn't realize you had to pull the fascia.

300michael - for some reason the email I sent you was returned to me.

Anyway, It's ok now. Now I need to try to get rid of the scratches in the front fascia caused by the incident.
  • Options
    indydriverindydriver Member Posts: 620
    I've experienced the same thing and I think its the power steering unit. Check the fluid levels. Like you said it goes away quickly with warming and its never caused me any trouble.
  • Options
    tom_- you should be able to get at the light on the front fascia from underneath the car . Without removing the fascia .