Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• Options
    jona57jona57 Member Posts: 194
    How many miles do you have on you 99 M? Seems like your tranny issue could be several different things from minor to major.
    I am a fellow M-owner from central IN ('01 w/all options inc. PHG). No prob's in 19 mo. of service, but I do not put on the miles like you do.
    BTW- Your dealer seems to be very considerate in not wasting your $$$. Is your dealer located far North, Northwest, or North/South side of Indy? No dealer names, please- I'll just guess :-)

Jon
  • Options
    300mspecial1300mspecial1 Member Posts: 29
    Hi beespecial,

I have an '02 Special in Bright Silver. I didn't drive my car in this last storm, but drove it in the 3 smaller ones before it. I agree that these tires aren't the greatest for this type of weather, but like easyrider300 said, if you take it easy, the car is pretty much OK. I used my auto stick for 2nd gear starts and basically was very easy on the gas. I allowed a little extra room and started my braking for turns and/or stops a little earlier. This car is about as challenging to drive in the snow as the '01 V-8 Camaro I traded to buy my Special. If you get in a panic type situation like if some moron pulls in front of you, I'll concede that there won't be a whole lot you can do about it on the Pilot Sports. If you can swing a set of alternate tires, that's probably the way to go. I'd love to be able to have a spare set of the 18-inch wheels with a set of good all-season tires, but that's a little pricy for me right now...

Good luck.
  • Options
    achanceachance Member Posts: 106
    I'm very pleased with Bridgestone Blizzaks in Juneau, AK. Winter is a "if you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes" deal here. You drive on dry pavement, wet pavement, flooded pavement, snow covered (as in unplowed), and the usual snow-pack and ice. No complaints, good wear, and good starting and stopping traction. TireRack had some good deals on low-line 16 inch alloys, so I just went to the 16s from my 17s.
  • Options
    bluesky999bluesky999 Member Posts: 253
    Indydriver, thx for the info on the battery--I won't replace it unless I'm sure I need to. I did look in my LH repair manual last night, and saw that the battery in the Ms has an indicator. If it's green, it means there's at least 75% charge left. Black = 0-75%, and clear means replace it immediately. Out of curiosity I read the procedure for removing the battery. It starts out with "turn the steering wheel all the way to the right". There are some other steps involved before you have to take it out through the wheel well. It wasn't clear to me if you had to take the wheel off or not, but I guess you would. Geez, my GMs seemed to be designed better for working on them, but I guess that's the price for the "cab forward" experience. Anyway, hopefully this weekend I'll stick my head down in the engine bay, and hopefully be able to see that battery indicator. THey wouldn't design it so you needed to take the battery out just to check the indicator, would they? (please say no).
  • Options
    kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    beespecial,

I have a 02 Special and have the same issue living in Minnesota (well usually, this year you folks are getting all our snow!). I took the route of getting a second set of snow tires for the car. In winter I swap off the 18's for a 16" winter tire package I got from the Tire Rack which includes Michelin Pilot Alpins.

The down side of having the tires swapped on the wheels is that you risk getting the wheels "skinned up" dismounting and mounting tires and the 18's are a challenge to balance. You have to be sure to go to a really good tire shop that knows how to handle those wheels & tires.
    Hopefully by the time we need new rubber Michelin will have our size in the Pilot Sport A/S (All Season) model.

indydriver,

beespecial isn't exagerating, the Michelin Pilot Sports are pure summer rubber. On snow and ice they're like teflon on teflon. Your tires are all season rubber so getting around on them isn't a problem even of they are worn.
    The rubber compound and the siping is what makes the difference. The Sport have almost no sipes and the rubber gets really hard in cold weather.
  • Options
    99_300m_ric_va99_300m_ric_va Member Posts: 377
    bluesky,

It's been awhile since I had the stock air cleaner parts on my car, but I seem to remember if you lift it out of the engine bay you will be able to see the indicator on top of the battery. You may be able to see it without removing the air cleaner, I just don't remember. With most of the custom intakes people are installing, you can clearly see the battery and it's indicator.

From past experience with OEM Chrysler batteries, I replaced mine when I hit the 3 year mark. The guys from Brampton confirmed it is only a 3year battery, which seems strange for a top line Chrysler with a lot of power options with little scheduled maintenace before 100K miles.
  • Options
    300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    Why not mark the tires. Up a dab of nail polish on or near one of the studs, and on the inside of the rim. That way you just remount the tires in the spring and no need to rebalance, because you put the tires back exactly where you took them off. Later when the tires are rotated you scrape off the old marks and add the new ones.
  • Options
    russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    When giving tire advice, be sure you understand the problem!
    The OEM tires on the 300M Special are not 4 season rated. If you have never attempted driving on snow with tires like this you don't have a clue what it is like. "Teflon on teflon" is a good description!
    As kosh did, the best solution is a set of 16" wheels with winter tires of the same diameter as the OEM 18" tires. Michelin Arctic Alpins are a great choice; I would be leary of the Blizzaks as they tend to be a bit "squirmey" an a large car.
    The end result is phenominal traction in the winter, and the preservation of the OEM wheels for summer use.
  • Options
    Taking out the air filter box (for those that have it) and removeing the wheel well flap you should be able to lift the battery out through the top. For checking the battery I have one of those volt meters that plugs into the cigerate lighter. it reads the volts. Better then the green battery indecator. Plus it give a more accurate condition of the battery. My battery is still good after 4 years and that is something, considering all the short drives I make each day and all the extra electronics I have added.
  • Options
    I agree with Russklass that they can be a bit "squirmy," but I've only experienced that on dry or merely wet pavement at relatively high speeds - for these purposes that's something like regular highway speeds. If you can drive like that for long, it's time to take the winter tires off. I admit that the Michelins are better all around, and there may be others, but it just becomes a money thing. If you have to have two sets of tires, and in snow country you do, the Blizzaks are a bargain and offer good performance in the circumstances where you really need them, snowpack and ice.
  • Options
    indydriverindydriver Member Posts: 620
    I originally bought my car and had all the service done at Carson Chrysler in Plainfield, even though I live on the north side of Indy. At the time, they had a "lifetime free" oil change, so I went there for all my service, developed a great relationship with the service manager and, in general, was very satisfied with all aspects of their dealership. They were bought out by Eastside Chrysler, became Westside Chrysler and things changed enough that it wasn't worth the effort to drive 25 miles across town to get to them. I am currently trying to develop a similar relationship with Penske Dodge on the NW side of town closer to my home. So far, so good. I now have 99,600 miles on my '99 (purchased 12/04/98) and have been completely trouble-free since the last warranty work in the 30's. I paid for a new trans in my son's 13 year old Chryco minivan last January to the tune of $2K, so I'm not looking forward to doing it again in my M.
  • Options
    yositoyosito Member Posts: 55
    My son has a 2001 Neon R/T we just replaced 3 batteries since July, and if you want to know more about the dealer service practices...
    The car died several times unexpectedly on the road, no energy at all.
    Dealer look at the car and found a short on a harness connector, he replaced the connector, then the problem continued, so the car was back into the shop, dealer found the turn signal lever with a short, he replaced it, two weeks later same problem, car died, no battery, no power steering, no power brakes etc.etc.
    The car was for third time TOWED to the dealer, then they said maybe the battery has a short, no matter they performed several times tests to it, it always came out with no faulty codes, so dealer replaced battery.
    Another week, and every time I had to turn on the lights or apply the brakes the car died!!
    So again, towed to dealer, the fix ANOTHER BATTERY!!
    Two weeks later, the car died again, this time they found AGAIN the harness connector and the turn signal lever with a short, so they replaced again those parts.
    One week later the car died again, then they ordered a new instrument cluster harness and replaced it. No cure because after a couple of days the car died again, then they tested again the battery, and said it was Ok, but they decided to replaced it, because they said Chrysler was selling the cars (ALL OF THEM), with very bad batteries.
    My son took out the car from the dealer with a new harness, new turn signal lever, and new battery, well the car died after two weeks!!!
    I phoned Chrysler, and gave them HELL, they said they needed MORE TIME, to try to find the problem, the car was coming out and back to the dealer since July, so this answer from Chrysler was in NOVEMBER. and those guys asked me for more time!!
    After I decided to tell them and the dealer I was going to sue them, they answered me, I can do it if I like it, ´cause they were not afraid, because they were working and trying to fix the car!
    So finally, they replaced to more harness and the POWER CONTROL MODULE!
    I took out the car from the dealer just a couple odays ago, the car is running but I had to take it to another dealer, to place everything where it belongs, because the dash is STILL out of place a lot of screws were missing, here and there!
    Well I already had to visit twice another dealer (FIVE STAR ONE), but the car will be back on Monday, because NOW there are a couple of noises coming out from the dash, it seems some screws are not placed well.
    They also had to replace the A/C dash control, because the first dealer broke it, and the car then had a vacuum leak, plus still having a terrible noise in the rear suspension, and also the first dealer damaged the steering wheel, and until today they are refusing to pay for it, because it´s very expensive.
    I phoned Chrysler and let them know about everything, their answer:
    We are sorry Sir. we can´t do anything to force the dealer to change your damaged steering wheel, because if they damaged the steering wheel it´s their fault, it´s not Chrysler´s fault, so the steering wheel it´s not cover under warranty for damages, same happened to rear shocks and wheel alignment!
    The dealer screwed up the alignment of the suspension, don´t know why, their answer was, that they had to remove some parts to change the harness and the power control unit.
    Anyway my son is still fighting with the new five star dealer to fix the car, Chrysler WASHED HANDS!

To hell with Chrysler´s warranty, dealers, batteries, etc.etc..
    Chrysler sales, service practices stink!
    So, don´t believe in their warranty, they still have a very long road to go for CUSTOMER SATISFACTION.
    PS. I´ll rather pay for the fix of the car instead of wasting my time for Chrysler to repair it, or wasting it at court!
    I have all the proves with me about their TERRIBLE SERVICE, (DEALER and CHRYSLER), so I´m showing it to everybody know, I´m also spreading the word, and telling every single POTENTIAL customer who wants to buy a Chrysler product, also I´m doing it to the dealer, because I´m spending a couple of hours at the dealer telling customers my experience with them.
    So do not believe also in FIVE STAR DEALER PROGRAM, it´s a FRAUD!, so is CHRYSLER.
    I just hope someday, somehow, a CHRYSLER EXECUTIVE will contact me, and then I´ll show him everything.
    Somebody HAS to STOP THOSE PEOPLE!
    They have to open their eyes and really care for CUSTOMER SATISFACTION!
    SOMEBODY FROM DC READY TO ACT???
    IF SO CONTACT ME!
  • Options
    So, beware of Chrysler´s batteries, service and their quality, do not believe them about their warranty.

Better buy a battery elsewhere, and if you can AVOID CHRYSLER, JEEP, and DODGE VEHICLES!!
    BEWARE OF THEIR FIVE STAR DEALERS!!
  • Options
    specialk3379specialk3379 Member Posts: 1
    I have had my 99 300 for almost a year. It has around 45,000 miles on it and I have had only a
    couple of electrical problems with it so far.
    Yesterday when I was driving I started hearing a
    loud clanging noise coming from the engine compartment. When I opened the hood, both fans
    were vibrating alot and hitting the shrouds. Has
    anyone else had this problem and if so what is the fix? I already checked all of the mounts to see if they were loose or cracked, but they are
    all secure.
  • Options
    Could have a cracked fan blade/blades. missing or damaged motor mount. If you can grab the motor and no play (with the battery disconnected) then check the blades and hub of the fan. a missing or cracked blade can cause this or one that has worn down causing an out of ballance condition.
  • Options
    99m_300m_ric_va and 300michael,

Thx for info on battery. I looked at it briefly yesterday (too cold to work outside for long), and as I have OEM air cleaner it seems exactly as you say. Like 300michael, mine is almost 4 years old and seems ok, but I'm a little nervous as it sounds like they're only rated for 36 months.

Yosito--your experience w/your sons Neon is unfortunate. At least it sounds like the car should be under warranty. It would also seem highly likely that if you're replacing multiple batteries, that the battery is not the problem. The battery is but one piece of the electrical system, and it interrelates with other components. You may have much better luck if you take it to a different dealer for service or an independent mechanic. I'm not sure why you're posting a problem with a Neon here on the 300M board, unless you're just venting on all the Chrysler related boards. Good luck.
  • Options
    Indydriver, that's a shame your tranny seems to be going. I'm not a mechanic, but if the code says "torque converter", and the fluid smells burnt, it sure sounds like it. Although 99,00 miles is a lot, these transmissions seem to be very reliable as there aren't many posts complaining of them. Did you change the fluid at 45K as the service manual calls for? If you didn't, perhaps your fluid was just in really poor shape and set off the code. You don't have much to risk by trying it out for a while w/o replacing the tranny. Let us know how it turns out. As a caveat, I know very little about trannys other than that they're expensive so take my thoughts here w/a grain of salt.
  • Options
    I have had the fluid changed three or four times. However, the last was at 65,000 miles. I have two other Chrysler products, both minivans, and I'm learning to service their transmissions at about 20,000 mile intervals. I remember a discussion some time back on this board about downshifting the manumatic creating heat with no where to go but into the fluid. But I don't think I've used it enough to create a reliability problem.
  • Options
    Thanks for your opinion; what matters if the car was or is under warranty, if CHRYSLER isn´t´t capable to see what´s going on with the car, if CHRYSLER tells me the dealer needs more time to find out the problem after MONTHS having the car at the shop!
    About the BATTERIES, it´s a FACT that CHRYSLER batteries are junk, DEALER and CHRYSLER told me and showed me SEVERAL cars (NEW and USED), that their batteries were having an internal short, because no matter that after performing SEVERAL tests to them, they showed NO FAULTY CODES, BUT the car suddenly was out of energy, and sudenly the energy was back, so I BELIEVED in them, and also saw SEVERAL customers complaining about battery problems; even the new car sales manager, complained about those batteries, so as you can see if they changed THREE batteries to my car from July to November was because something was WRONG with those BATTERIES.
    Of course my car had also other electrical problems, BESIDES the BATTERY, NO QUESTION ABOUT IT, and you are right about taking it to another dealer, that´s what I did!
    No matter that I took it to a different dealer (A FIVE STAR DEALER), the car was not fixed at the first time, after another week with them!

After driving the car again we still found out the car still has some loose screws inside the dash panel, which are making noise, rear suspension is still making noise, and wheel alignment is still needed.
    About my steering wheel, I´ll try to speak in January with the owner of the first dealer, (the one who damaged it) to see if HE will be more decent and replace my steering wheel, (I don´t think they will).
    And if you want to know why I vented my problem here?
    Well I vented it because I want you to know what´s going on with CHRYSLER BATTERIES ( MOPAR), as I mentioned it, most of them are junk, so try not to replace your battery with a MOPAR one, and if you still have one, go to any dealer and tell him to test it before your car dies.
    And I also vented here the problem, because of the BATTERY a car can suddenly die, and after a couple of minutes it can run as nothing happened before, and that´s because of a faulty battery, a battery with an internal short, and of course I vented it also here to alert all of you about CHRYSLER´s QUALITY, WARRANTY, SERVICE, plus the terrible SERVICE PERFORMED BY DEALERS, including a FIVE STAR DEALER.
    So let me insist:
    TRY TO AVOID A CHRYSLER PRODUCT!
    Go and make them perform the full test to your MOPAR BATTERY, BEFORE IT´s LATE!

You´ll be happier you did!

PS. Thanks for your opinion, and I just hope everybody will listen here to my experience.

BEST LUCK TO YOU PEOPLE, and a HEALTHY and HAPPY NEW YEAR.
    :-)
  • Options
    Time for a little discipline to return the board to it's intended subject: 300 M.
  • Options
    If you dismount the tires from the stock wheels and mount comparable size snow tires the old weights have to be removed and the entire assembly rebalanced.
    Doing what you suggest might get things back close to original but the whole assembly will still have to be rebalanced when the summer tires are remounted on the wheels. The Special rims only use clip on weights on the inside of the rim, the outer weights are stick ons mounted behind the spokes, so once they're removed they're trash.
    What you suggest still doesn't address the risk that the wheels will get scuffed up during the dismounting and mounting process not to mention the damage the wheels might suffer from the salt and road debris.

At $179 ea that's $716 for just 4 Pilot Alpins in the 18" size not counting the cost of mounting and balancing. The entire 16" winter package from The Tire Rack mounted, balanced and generic wheelcovers is around $680. Yeah, they look poor but they work great and allow the car to get around more safely which is the objective.

The middle ground is to trade the Sports for a high performance, all season tire but the choices are few and cost high for those.

So in the end the least cost alternative is the second set of tires/wheels and living with a somewhat ugly vehicle for however many months winter lasts in a given area. Like anything else, it's a choice.
  • Options
    russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    The tire/wheel packages from Tire Rack and Discount Tire include steel wheels and plastic wheel covers.
    When I ordered mine, I inquired about alloy wheels, and bought some very attractive 5 spoke alloy 16" wheels with Michelin Arctic Alpin tires, mounted, balanced and delivered for about $840.
    I put stick-on Chrysler logos on the center caps,and several people have commented on my "optional OE wheels"!
    When I got my second 300M, I replaced the worn out Michelins with Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice tires, also very good. My bargain wheels are now in their 4th winter and second set of tires.
  • Options
    psterpster Member Posts: 293
    Just got back from a 1300 mile round trip in the 1999 300M. The car did great with a packed trunk and four passengers. The power was very good in getting over the mountains (big hills) east of Nashville. Somewhere on the trip the engine started having a subtle but noticeable "whining" noise that increased in pitch as the car accelerated, sort of like a jet engine spooling up, but not all that load. It only occurred during accleration -you can't hear it at idle. I am thinking maybe a vacuum hose is loose or a pully is starting to fail? Has anyone heard this? The car runs fine, it's more of an annoyance than anything else.
  • Options
    FYI, I installed a new diehard (bought due to ease of purchase only) before my Xmas trip. I removed the air box (very easy - 5 minutes) but found I just could not get the battery out by pushing in on the fender plastic. The problem was that I could in no way get to the negative post terminal to take off the cable and battery wouldn't move enough for me to get to it. So I removed the fender panel and the battery slipped out nicely. Re-installing the fender panel is a snap if you have the air box removed. I am resigned to thinking that the only way to effectively and easily removing the battery is to remove both the air box AND the panel. For those with 1999 300M's, beware, when the battery dies it is very often immediate and instantaneous - shows good charge Monday, Tuesday it's dead. If you are going on four years with the three year OEM, don't stray too far from home......in any event, the battery change was good chance to clean out the battery area and terminals - they needed it.
  • Options
    99_300m_ric_va99_300m_ric_va Member Posts: 377
    When I replaced mine, I replaced it with an Interstate Megatron MT-34. I have always found Megatrons to be excellent batteries.
  • Options
    dukeofdallasdukeofdallas Member Posts: 52
    Your whining noise sounds similar to what I experienced at 63k miles. The noise increased with the RPMs meaning it got louder as I accelerated but temporarily eased up with each shift of the tranny. The noise was barely noticeable when idling. My local dealership determined that a bearing in the idler pully was worn out. Replacing the idler pully solved the problem.
  • Options
    Thanks Duke, I suspected this - your symptoms are exactly what I am experiencing. I've had to replace the idler pully on every Chrysler/Dodge I've owned in the first 50K miles. I'll keep going until the whine pitch increases to the point of being obnoxious, then get it fixed. At 50k miles, I've already started looking for my next car.
  • Options
    dukeofdallasdukeofdallas Member Posts: 52
    Your whining noise sounds similar to what I experienced at 63k miles. The noise increased with the RPMs meaning it got louder as I accelerated but temporarily eased up with each shift of the tranny. The noise was barely noticeable when idling. My local dealership determined that a bearing in the idler pully was worn out. Replacing the idler pully solved the problem.
  • Options
    I just marked the rotor bolt and the inside rim hole and stored the wheels. I did the same with the replacements. I never had a problem with weights falling off. When the season was over I would just match the rims and the markings. It worked for years for me.
  • Options
    ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    Mike , if your going to take the battery out from the top there is no need to remove the plastic fender panel . Just turn the wheel all the way to the right and push the panel out . if you are doing this outside in the winter you may have problems as the plastic gets hard and is not so easy to move.

Pster-You do not have to take the negative cable off the battery until you pull the battery out of the car , the cable has lots of slack . The only one you do need to take off is the positive one.

In the plant we only remove the batteries from above , we never take the fender panel off . yes it will take longer to remove one outside in the cold , but in the summer it would only take me 10-15 min to re and re a battery. But I guess years of practice helps .;-))
  • Options
    Indy,

Well, you've gone beyond the required maintenance, so if the tranny is bad it certainly wasn't your fault. I have a relative who is a service manager at a dealership for a Chrysler competitor, and if they have a good relationship with a customer (i.e. you go to them for your maintenance needs) they will replace such things as transmissions and occasionally an engine that fails prematurely. If your tranny has indeed failed prematurely, which indications are that it has, perhaps either your dealership or Chrysler would be sympathetic to a complaint and could recompensate you to some extent. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but it wouldn't hurt to try if you had the time to write a few letters and make a few phone calls and perhaps a visit or 2. Just a thought. Good luck with it.
  • Options
    beespecialbeespecial Member Posts: 69
    Ok, one more thing about winter tires and I'll let it go.
    Being a bit miffed that I couldn't get the Alpins in the same size as my Sports, I fired off an email to Michelin and this was their response:

The 245/45R18 Pilot Alpin is slated for production early 2003.
    Our part # is 76152.
    Please check back with us in 30-45 days for a more current production schedule.

So there you have it. If you're a bit anal like me about what you want on your M, and you want the Alpin 45s, you'll probably have to wait until spring when you won't need them.

Thanks to all for the great info and comments.
  • Options
    bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Yosito-- I had my M for 4.5 years, and had no battery problems. I changed the battery a month ago when I had some starter hesitation problems and winter was coming on strong. I figured maybe it was time to change it. Turned out it was a starter switch and relay not the battery, but I would have changed it anyway, as it was coming up on 5 years. Your problem does not sound to me like defective batteries. It sounds a lot more like an electrical drain from elsewhere. I had a broken wire in the alternator one time on a Toronado and it drained the battery every couple of days til they figured out what the problem was. Have you checked the alternator? Irrespective of what some dealer rep told you, I have neither seen nor heard of the problem you describe on this board in the past 4 years. Most of us who changed batteries have done so as a preventive measure before the battery reached a timeframe where it was likely to fail due to age, weather, etc. Why don't you dump that Neon and move up to an M?
  • Options
    Otto, I cannot see any way I could have removed the battery without first removing the negative cable. I thought for a second that the cable had a coupling in it that allowed it to be disconnected without actually removing it from the battery terminal, but no such luck. I got the battery almost on its side with the plastic fender panel pushed in, but there was no way the battery was going to be removed without first either detaching the negative cable from the battery, or its remote post. What am I missing? Should I have removed the cable from the remote charging post? I studied the situation longer than it took me to remove the battery and I am convinced, at the risk of disagreeing with a 300M builder, that the battery was not coming out without removing the cable. As it turns out, removing the panel is very simple once the air box is removed. Removing the air box is the trick.
  • Options
    silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    I already posted that my 2k M starter had to be replaced. A week later--same problem on the wife's '93 Grand Voyager!

I had to replace several sets of tie rods on my previous '88 and '94 Taurus cars. Also the wife's GV is having its second tie rod replacement today. Is this a common problem with front wheel drive vehicles? The GV has 135k miles, so I am expecting frequent repairs. My 5* told me it needed a new rack and pinion, but I took it to Pep Boys and they said there was nothing wrong with it. They did say the tie rod was bad and the power steering pump was leaking.
    Who to believe? What a racket.

Silver
  • Options
    Thanks for your interest, but I do think I had a problem with a battery plus electrical gremlins, I do like Chryslers designs, I don´t trust dealers and Chrysler service.
    I´ll wait to see at least two more years before I´ll buy a new Chrysler product, yesterday I visited the VW dealer, today I´ll have to take back the car to the Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep dealer, hope they will fix the car before the end of the year.
    Best luck to you with your batteries and your 300M
  • Options
    I lost count of how many times and the duration your car was in for repairs. As I recall, most states have Lemon Laws that require compensation or refund if the car is in for repairs a fixed number of days within a certain period. I would check the Lemon Law phamphlet that should have been included in your new car package, if covered by your particlutlar state.
  • Options
    LEMON LAW
    The Missouri New Vehicles Warranty Law, commonly called the "Lemon Law," protects buyers of new motor vehicles by enforcing the manufacturer's expressed warranty.
    WHAT VEHICLES ARE COVERED?
    All new vehicles sold or leased with warranty provisions are covered under the law, except for commercial and off-road vehicles, mo-peds, motorcycles and the non-chassis portion of recreational vehicles. Also included are demonstrators or lease-purchase vehicles as long as a manufacturer's warranty was issued as a condition of the sale.

A defect must affect the use, value or safety of the vehicle. The law applies while the vehicle is under the manufacturer's expressed warranty or up to one year after the date of delivery, whichever expires earlier. Some extended warranties are offered by the dealer or an insurance company -- check with your dealer.

VEHICLE OWNER RESPONSIBILITIES
    New-vehicle owners must report problems or defects in writing to the manufacturer to use the provisions of the Lemon Law. The manufacturer must be permitted a "reasonable" number of attempts to correct the problem. Under the law, it is presumed that there have been a "reasonable" number of attempts to correct the problem if:

The vehicle has been in the repair shop for the same problem four or more times and the problem still exists; or
    The vehicle has been out of service because of a warranty repair for 30 or more working days since delivery, excluding delays that are beyond the manufacturer's control.
    If the problem cannot be fixed in a "reasonable number of repair attempts" the manufacturer can offer you a cash refund or a vehicle of comparable value.
    Under the law, dealerships can deduct a "reasonable allowance for the consumer's use of the vehicle" from the refund. The law also stipulates that a replacement vehicle must be acceptable to the consumer.

REFUND QUALIFICATIONS
    If after repairs are made to your vehicle you still believe the vehicle does not conform to the warranty, but the manufacturer or dealer has indicated that it doesn't believe you are due a refund, then submit a complaint according to the manufacturer's informal dispute settlement procedure.

Most automobile manufacturers have appeals procedures. These arbitration boards try to resolve problems consumers have with the manufacturer or dealer. The address and phone number of your manufacturer's consumer appeals or arbitration center are listed in your owner's manual.

During or at the end of the dispute procedure, the manufacturer may make a settlement offer. You must decide whether to accept the offer or try to get a refund under the Lemon Law by going to court.
  • Options
    Maybe it's just me but I'm totally confused about what you're talking about.

What's the rotor have to do with it? You'd need to mark the wheel and tire such that the same tire was remounted on the same rim in exactly the same place.
    We're not talking about swapping two complete wheel and tire assemblies here, we're talking about swapping two sets of tires on one set of wheels - removing a tire from the wheel and putting on a different tire. There is absolutely no way in hell that can be done without completely rebalancing the assembly every time. Tires just aren't that consistent.
    Now if it was one set of tires between two sets of wheels then I could see marking the wheel and tire to line them back up again and perhaps getting away with it.

The wheel weights don't fall off, the tire tech removes them because he knows the assembly is going to have to be rebalanced once the new tires are installed on the rims.
  • Options
    silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    I have had mine about 3 wks. So far, so good! They are quieter than the Pilots, but a little harder to turn-in (gummier compound).
  • Options
    And Becka the Hun can tell you how to hide the wheel weights by placing them on the inside of the rim, but you have to stand over the mechanic and be watching. Sorry, old joke from the AOL auto board that biled up in my throat. RUSSKLASS will understand.......
  • Options
    Thanks for your thoughts and comments. I returned to my dealer this morning and he confirmed that the check engine light was the same code: torque converter. I discussed my options at length and, since I'm leaving tomorrow morning for a week in FL, decided to leave it with him with authorization to spend a little money to investigate further. We agreed to talk again Thursday or Friday about their findings and go from there. The thing is still driving and shifting beautifully.

I appreciate your encouragement to press for assistance on the repair. I will ask, and I've brought enough business to Chrysler and this dealer that they should at least listen. However, Chrysler has stood behind their original 36,000 mile warranty and the extended warranty I purchased (3-yr, 100,000 mile) and they have both obviously expired. So, as much as I hate paying for repairs, I have to admit that it would be purely an act of grace on Chrysler's part to participate.
  • Options
    hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    We all remember, ( but would like to forget )"She who shall not be named" on the old Autos board. Has anyone seen the recommendation given by Consumers Reports for the 300M?
  • Options
    I was talking about swaping the tires/rims combined, not just changing the tires. Sorry for any misunderstanding.
  • Options
    "She" has probably cancelled her subscription to consumer reports. Thanks soooo muucccch for bringing her up again. No sleep tonight.
  • Options
    The last thing you need in winter driving conditions is wide, low profile tires. Tall and narrow works in snow, and studs or sipes work on ice. I know they don't look as good, but your M really looks like Hell in the ditch. If you find wide, low profile winter tires, good on you, but for the money, tall and narrow gets me to work every day.
  • Options
    Silver, if you're getting those 2 different diagnoses of your problem, I would vote that you go with the Pep Boys diagnosis. It's MUCH cheaper to replace a power steering pump than the steering rack--that's a major expense.

Indy, I hope that your dealer or Chrysler will step up and help you out. It seems like a shame that you just missed out with your 100K warranty, but that's life I guess. Let us know what they find while they inspect it during the week--it's an intriguing problem, being that it's shifting beautifully while the code says the torque converter is no good...
  • Options
    Thanks for your interest and your information, i´m trying to do my best to give back to my son his car, I do worry about the safety of it, because when the car used to die, there was no energy at all, he could be driving the car in the hwy at 50, 60 or more mph, and when the car dies it has no power steering, no brakes, no lights, nothing!
    Chrysler still insist about more time, the car has been back to dealer more than 8 times, and if we speak about time and mileage, I can tell you the car has been at the shop for about 8 weeks, and since July my son just drove it 750 miles.
    The car is again back with another dealer, this time they are trying to eliminate rattles, noises, coming out from dash, waiting for rear shocks, etc.etc.
    So far no more problems with the BATTERY or any electrical gremlin, now just trying to fix what other dealer damaged while "REPAIRING IT".
    Well I do insist, take your car to the dealer and make him perform the test to your battery ( If it´s a MOPAR one), and good luck with your Chrysler products.
  • Options
    I'm sorry that I brought up the beast guys. I couldn't help it. I have this problem with recurring nightmares......

I hope that everyone has a fun and SAFE New Year!

Phil
  • Options
    ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    pster -are you sure your not talking about the positive cable? The only one you can see once you remove the air breather.The negative post is not visible from the top. Also the negative cable has a small plastic push pin about 8-10 inches down the cable that clips into the air breather support bracket. You have to pop this clip out if you want to lift the battery out , maybe this was your problem ??
    Anyway , as long as you got it out thats all that matters.