Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Talk to the Press

Comments

• bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    But then again, who would buy a Pontiac Aztec or Landrover Discovery either?
  • xccoachlouxccoachlou Member Posts: 245
    Truly Hideous, and my limited sample of a few under 30's that were shown the photos agree. In fact, they thought "truly hideous" was being kind.

I'm wondering who the genius is that thought to put a DVD player in plain view of the driver. Tell me that's not an accident waiting to happen!

While the Aztec is UGLy, yes ugly with a capital UGL, I like the Discovery. Then again, I also liked the Pacer. :)
  • 0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    xccoachlou,
    The vehicles with the DVD in view of the driver have to have a motion lockout on them. Once the vehicle is taken out of park, power to the DVD is no longer supplied.
    I realize that people can bypass this, but really it is a common sense thing.
  • xccoachlouxccoachlou Member Posts: 245
    isn't so common anymore...

Or to throw in a humorous story from a presidential election sometime in the last millenium... A supporter goes up to the candidate and says, "Sir, with that speech you just got every intelligent vote in America!"

With a heavy sigh, the candidate replied, "That's not enough to win."

What do you think will happen the first time someone over-rides the lockout and has an accident, even a minor fender bender? Maybe I have time to study Law and pass the bar...
  • rrsafetyrrsafety Member Posts: 38
    Folks are gushing over the Vibe, but hate the Aztec. The Aztec paved the way for edgier cars. Thanks Aztec...anecdote to the Taurus.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,923
    gushing over the Vibe? Really? Certainly not anyone I know (or not in my area at all since I have yet to see a single one on the road [and only about 3 or 4 Matrixs, by the way]).

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• blue_bug_18blue_bug_18 Member Posts: 5
    I'm not under 30 but in my 30's and that Scion is butt ugly and wouldn't buy it if it was the only motorized car on the market. Toyota has already proved in the past that they make ugly vans, why do they have to continue the tradition with this thing. And, I really like Toyota so I am not knocking them.
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    I like the Vibe, and will probably buy one unless somebody can suggest something else to do with my GM Card rebate.
    So I sent the Mrs. to the dealer to look at colors and she (36) said "It's a great-looking car from every angle except the front... from the front it looks like two Aztecs jumped in bed and this is the result."
    Ouch.
    -Mathias
  • caramocaramo Member Posts: 93
    << from the front it looks like two Aztecs jumped in bed and this is the result>>

I'm blind now :-)
  • prlady1prlady1 Member Posts: 573
    "This is for a major U.S. national daily newspaper. I am looking to speak with people who were bad drivers when they were younger (maybe they got into a few fenderbenders, or had problems with speeding, etc.) but now consider themselves to be good drivers. I am also looking to speak to parents of children who went through the child's bad driving years but would now trust their offspring behind the wheel."
    Please respond to sharon_edry@hotmail.com with your anecdotes and contact information asap, no later than Monday, January 13.
    Thanks much!
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
    jfallon@edmunds.com
    Here's another one:

"I'm looking for people, not related to each other, who share ownership of a car and will talk about the experience. I am not looking to talk to people who belong to groups like SelectCar or ZIpcar. Please respond to JoanneLKauf@aol.com by January 13, 2003."

Thanks as always for helping these journalists, and letting me know how it goes!
    Best,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
    jfallon@edmunds.com
    A journalist with a major daily paper is looking for Cadillac CTS buyers who didn't own (and wouldn't consider) GM before the CTS came on their radar screens.
    If you care to participate, please submit your name, daytime contact information and comments on this topic to jfallon@edmunds.com by Wednesday, January 22.
    Thanks as always!
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
    An author writing a book to be published by Random House would like to interview automobile owners of all ages who own vehicles with import nameplates -- both consumers who've never bought vehicles from Detroit, and those who were once owners of Detroit products but ultimately switched.
    The author would like to get your answers to these questions:
    1. What's the primary reason why you bought your vehicle?
    2. What's the primary reason why you don't own something made by Detroit?
    3. Is there anything that Detroit could do to win your business?
    4. What role does "emotion" play in your purchase? How do you personally define "emotion" -- sex appeal, or something else?
    5. Given the huge role that the automobile has played in American culture, what does it say about you as a consumer, and us as a society, that Americans are increasingly buying vehicles that aren't made by Detroit companies?
    Along with your answers, please provide your name, email address, vehicle and year of make, and a telephone number if you'd be willing to be interviewed further. Please submit your response by February 15 to jfallon@edmunds.com.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
    The author of a book to be published in October by Random House would like to interview owners of Saturns and the Ford Taurus, especially a) those who traded in imports for their Saturn and Taurus cars and b) owners of the original Saturn and Taurus models. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com by February 1, and include your name, email address, and a telephone number where you can be reached.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
    An author writing a book on the future of the automobile industry for Random House would like to hear from owners of General Motors, Ford and Chrysler brands, whether cars, trucks or S.U.Vs. Specifically, the author would like to know:
    1. What is the year and model of your vehicle?
    2. Are you a repeat buyer of your company's vehicles? If so, how many years and how many different models have you owned?
    3. What's the reason you bought your most recent vehicle, and did incentives play any role in your purchase? Additionally, did the idea of Buy American play any part in your decision?
    4. How do you feel about the quality of your vehicle versus that of the imports? Have you ever bought an import?
    5. Finally, how would you rate your satisfaction with your vehicle? Would you buy it again, and is there anything that your auto company could do to make you more satisfied with your vehicle?
    Include a name, email address, and also a telephone number where you can be reached if you are willing to be interviewed. Please send responses to jfallon@edmunds.com by Feb. 15.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
    A journalist is looking to talk with Mercedes-Benz C-class owners who bought the cars new for less than $30k. Please respond with your name and daytime phone number to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, January 22.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
    1. What is the year and model of your vehicle?
    99 Chevy Lumina
    2. Are you a repeat buyer of your company's vehicles? If so, how many years and how many different models have you owned?
    Yep. Only Chevy/GM. Since 1978, sold a 47 Dodge pickup for my first Chevy.
    3. What's the reason you bought your most recent vehicle, and did incentives play any role in your purchase? Additionally, did the idea of Buy American play any part in your decision?
    Wanted a GM 4 door family vehicle, didn't care about incentives, only price and options.
    Yes, BUY AMERICAN!
    4. How do you feel about the quality of your vehicle versus that of the imports? Have you ever bought an import?
    Well, that is a different story. They're all about the same.
    5. Finally, how would you rate your satisfaction with your vehicle? Would you buy it again, and is there anything that your auto company could do to make you more satisfied with your vehicle?
    Like it, would buy it again. They could make it free, that would make me more satisfied. Ha ha!
    I'll forward your remarks to the author. Feel free to contact me offline if you care to learn her name or if you have any questions about the book she is writing.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine

jfallon@edmunds.com
    A student is researching family vehicle needs, and would like your input on the following:

- What interior features does a family of four need or want? What could a truck use that is already found in, for instance, a minivan?
    - How could the back seat be utilized in a way that would benefit the kids? The parents?
    - What locations in the back seat can be utilized?
    - How can this unit or console be removed, hidden or moved out of the way?

Please send your thoughts asap to nlevin@northwestern.edu. Responses will be of most value if we get them by the end of Wednesday, January 22, but they will be useful after that date as well. Thanks in advance for your participation.
    The following query comes from a magazine writer:

"for a story on HORSEPOWER, i'm looking for a passenger car buyer, NOT AN SUV, VAN OR TRUCK BUYER. and, preferably, someone who bought A NEW VEHICLE in the last 6 months. the kicker here is i want that man or woman to have bought the car based on HP, 200 hp or MORE. the look of the vehicle, tho, is important, of course. but secondary to the kick-butt engine power. i think the wolf in sheep's clothing cars like a v6 ford taurus, nissan altima or the v-6 honda accord could be kind of fun. tho, hey, i'm not going to turn away a dodge viper buyer. but i do think the
    others would be more interesting."

If you fit the bill and care to share your story, please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com asap, no later than Wednesday, January 29, with your daytime contact info and a bit about your new car.

Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
    Are you an SUV owner who has experienced any anti-SUV backlash? Has your vehicle been vandalized in any way? If so, a magazine journalist wants to hear from you. Please send your story along with your daytime contact information to jfallon@edmunds.com by Friday, January 31.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    jfallon@edmunds.com
    A magazine journalist is looking for women to talk about how they stay sane in traffic jams (listening to music, making up stories about other passengers, etc.). Please supply your congestion solution, full name, city/state of residence and daytime contact information to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Friday, January 31.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
    A magazine journalist is looking for people who recently got a great deal on a used one- or two-year old luxury car. Please send your response including daytime contact information by January 29 to jfallon@edmunds.com.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    I write for a national business publication and I'm writing a story about Pontiac. I'd like to get some of your views on the GTO and Pontiac. I would interview you by telephone and you would have to be willing to be quoted by name.
    I'll tell you who I am and which publication. You'll recognize the publication. If you can help, I'd be grateful. Send me an email with your contact info to carguy147@hotmail.com by the end of the day on Tuesday, February 17.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Are you an SUV owner who has taken special action since the anti-SUV backlash began? Have you traded in your vehicle, reconsidered your purchase, cut back on your use of your SUV, parked in more protected/secure areas, etc? If so, a magazine writer wants to hear from you.
    Please respond with your make and model to jfallon@edmunds.com by February 28.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
    Do cupholders and other accessories make or break vehicle sales? A reporter with a daily newspaper is wondering if shoppers are testing these components for utility, durability, aesthetics, etc before deciding whether the attached vehicle is right for their needs. If this is one of your shopping criteria, please by respond with your comments to jfallon@edmunds.com by February 25.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
    A journalist with a major newswire service is looking for people who are considering buying a new car but have decided to wait because of the uncertainty. Please respond with a few sentences on this subject by Friday, February 28 to jfallon@edmunds.com.
    Thanks!
    Only .4 percent of the nation's taxi drivers are women. If you are/were one, a writer with a major wire service wants to talk with you about your experience. Please respond by April 1 to SHWS1@SHNS.com or jfallon@edmunds.com.
    Thanks!
    A journalist with an international newspaper is interested in hearing from people who've bought Volkswagens in the last few years. If you'd like to share your story, we'll need your daytime contact information, vehicle model and year and, if you like, please also provide a brief overview of your ownership experience to date. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com by Tuesday, March 25.
    Thanks for your consideration and participation.
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
    A journalist with a major newswire service is looking for people who are considering buying a new car but have decided to wait because of the uncertainty. Please respond with a few sentences on this subject by Friday, March 28 to jfallon@edmunds.com.
    Thanks!
    I write for a national publication and would like to interview anyone who has recently traded in an SUV or is looking to do so. Did you trade in your old SUV for another SUV, a "crossover SUV," a luxury sedan, etc. You must be willing to be quoted by name. If you would be willing to share your experience, please send an email including your phone number to carguy147@hotmail.com by March 28.
    From a journalist:

I'm writing an article on cars decorated with shrink-wrap advertisements. It's taken off in Europe and now we're seeing the craze here in the U.S. What's all this about? If you've tried it or considered it as a source of income or publicity for your company, please send your contact info and some words about your experience to sandyalan@mindspring.com no later than March 27.
    If you bought a car this weekend, a national news service wants to hear from you asap. Please send a note with your daytime contact info and some basic details on your new vehicle asap no later than March 27 to jfallon@edmunds.com.
    Thanks for your consideration!
    Best,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
    A magazine reporter is looking for first-time Nissan and Infiniti buyers. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com by Friday, April 4 with your daytime contact info and brief thoughts about your new vehicle.

Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
    Journalists producing a show called "RV Crazy" for the Travel Channel (Discovery Network) are looking for really unusual recreational vehicles in North America to profile in our show. They could be RV's, buses, trucks, vans, or trailers, but they have to have something unique about them (not "just" a luxury home on wheels), they have to be in working order, and you have to be able to fully live in them. Examples of ones we've found: a bus painted like a smiley face, a fire truck modified for living in, a 1955 Osprey White Super Power bus with whales painted on it, and a bus with painted fiberglass fish attached to the exterior. If you have a suggestion, please email me at ansley@mikemathisprods.com by April 15.
    A national TV newsmagazine is looking for people who

a) are in NY, NJ or CT;

b) who will be visiting dealerships in the near future in search of a new car (not used); and

c) are interested in working with us on a consumer story.

If you're willing to help, please send us an email with a short self-description at car_story@hotmail.com no later than Friday, April 11.
    An MBA student would love your thoughts on the following:
    1. How did you find out about the Edmunds.com website?
    2. What is your primary motivation for visiting the site?
    3. How frequently do you visit the site?
    4. Which features at this site do you find most useful?
    5. Do you make frequent use of Edmunds.com discussion boards to interact with other site visitors?
    6. Do you plan to purchase a vehicle in the near future?
    7. Is the information you learn from the discussion boards likely to influence your decision?
    8. Do you believe it is appropriate for representatives of the major vehicle manufacturing companies to participate in discussions, in order to:
      (i) provide information about their products?
      (ii) assist you should you decide to purchase their product?
      (iii) listen to any concerns you have about their products?
      (iv) learn how to make a better product?
    If you care to participate, please respond to smenear@mindspring.com no later than Thursday, April 10 with your answers and daytime contact information.
    Hello,
    I am writing an article for Budget Living magazine on how to buy a car. I'd love to include some fun/scary/weird car buying stories. Please, if you have a great story, or know someone who does, email me at ben@bittergravity.com no later than April 21.
    Thanks!
    Hi,
    A major daily paper is looking to speak with anyone who has recently considered buying a convertible or has one and isn't driving it as much as expected. If you have a story to share, please send your daytime contact info and brief comments to jfallon@edmunds.com by April 15.
    Thanks as always,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
    Do they still MAKE that car?? ;)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

A weekly magazine is looking to interview folks who have had negative memories of diesel cars - either your own, your parents' or neighbors'. Don't "exhaust" yourself with this one! If you care to participate, please send your daytime contact info and a few lines about your experience to jfallon@edmunds.com by midday Friday, April 25.
    A wire service is looking to interview a car owner who has switched to Asian cars because US quality didn't impress. Please send your daytime contact info and thoughts on this subject by Thursday, April 24 to jfallon@edmunds.com.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    A New England Newspaper is looking to interview New England residents who own the Volvo S60R or Subaru WRX STi. Please respond by wed April 30 to sylvia@edmunds.com

Many thanks!
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Considering the STi isn't shipping for a month or 2.

-mike
    i was wondering that myself.
    Is the S60R even available right now?

Hey this is a request for the Press! I'd like to see the automotive press or any press for that matter, put Dodge in the firing line and find out why they have a video on their site, with no disclaimers, having a kid steal his brother's car, and go street racing,a nd reckless driving. If anyone hasn't seen the video it's on http://Dodge.com under the Neon SRT-4 section. I think this is an absolutely horrible use of advertising, and really promotes the illegal activity of street racing where people DIE every year needlessly. Would the press sit by the sidelines and allow a medical company selling needles to promote the use of needles for shooting up heroin? I think not! Please help by bringing this horrible act to light. Thanks in advance!

-mike
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Mike - I am passing your post along. Astonishing.

On the Volvo and Subaru request...thanks for the heads-up on that. I have emailed the contacts for clarifications.
    Drop me an e-mail. I have someone they can contact who has been driving an STi for ~1 month. I'll see if he can answer the reporter's questions.

-mike
    I'm not sure I understand the concern.
    They market what sells.
    That vehicle is targeted as a performance vehicle. Although, not really what I would consider performance, it is not much different from the advertisements that were out for muscle cars.
    While I don't condone street racing, an advertisement is just that and common sense dictates that it be viewed as that.
    Next folks will be wanting movies like "Fast & Furious" banned.
    Fast and Furious had a big disclaimer in the beginning.

This has NONE at all.

They could easily have shown him at a drag strip, or a Dodge Skip Barber Race school.

The Drag Strip could have EASILY be worked into it. Corporate responsibility. I'm no flaming liberal at all, far from it, but I do believe in corporate responsibility, and this is totally irresponsibility at it's highest level. Did you watch the video?

-mike