Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Isuzu Axiom

Comments

• Options
    winnyvwinnyv Member Posts: 30
    Your a good sport. Good luck with your Trooper. I think that Axiom looks pretty cool also.
  • Options
    mustangfiveomustangfiveo Member Posts: 12
    I just want to give you my opinion on trooper quality. First of all, I am really close to buying the Toyota Sequoia because it really meets our needs. It is bigger and Toyota has proven that they can build quality cars. I am also a trooper owner, and believe me once you step into one, you will be very surprise how good the quality of this vehicle. I have put over 120K miles on my trooper and it still runs as sweet as the day I bought it. The interior of the vehicle is still very tight, and I love driving it. The reason I am not buying another trooper is because we need a bigger SUV, with our family growing (2 huskies), and a travel trailer. Unless you owned a trooper, you would not understand why we are so passionate about our vehicles. I hope to keep my trooper as long as I can (Trooper and Sequoia) what a great marriage.

P.S. I think the Axiom is the third ugliest SUV, being the 1) Pontiac Aztek 2) Isuzu vehicross.:)
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Yeah The Axiom and Vehicross are ugly, I'll give you that :)

Also I like Toyota quality as I said TLC is my favorite SUV, just out of my price range (heck, off my radar screen even)

-mike
  • Options
    vivayovivayo Member Posts: 32
    Baddestbob mentioned differences between web sites that offer pricing info. FWIW, when I bought my '01 LS Trooper in December the dealer showed me the invoice (my going-in position was that I wouldn't pay a cent over invoice) and it matched, to the dollar, what Edmunds said was the invoice price for the base LS - $25,889. I have no idea if Edmunds data is still that accurate.
    To be complete, I did pay the inland freight charge ($520) and an additional $930 (MSRP was $1,105) for the moonroof-which I didn't particularly want. The dealer couldn't find a 2WD LS without the moonroof (so he said). I also had the dealer install black side steps ($340). I refused to pay the advertising fee and the lot fee (they came up to around $600, as I remember).
    Total damage was $27,679. I figure I got a good deal, and the dealer still got the full 3% holdback for the vehicle, as I picked it up about 8 hours after it arrived at his lot.
    Charlie
  • Options
    Well i have not seen a single LS model in the past 2 years w/o a moonroof. If you ordered the car I'm sure he could order it w/o the roof, but any on the lots all had moonroofs.

I have found that the carpoint.com is the best indicator of invoice price so far, for Isuzus anyway.

-mike
  • Options
    zeenzeen Member Posts: 401
    The Axiom may be second ugly but there sure is a big gap between 1 and 2. The Axiom was designed to look half like a station wagon. It wasn't trying to look too much like an SUV. If you compare it to the Highlander in appearance, it's pretty nice. It depends what you compare it to.
    As for the Trooper, it's a good SUV at a good price. As for style, it needs some updating and that is why you don't see more on the road. I understand a makeover is on the way.
    Note: Visited the Isuzu dealer again tonight. All the Axioms that were on the lot a month ago are still sitting there.
  • Options
    MY DEALER CALLED THIS MORNING TO SAY THAT ISUZU IS OFFERING FINANCING DEALS ON THE AXIOM. 2.9(3.9?)-5.9% I ALREADY FORGOT THE LOWER NUMBER BUT IT WAS ONE OF THOSE. NO LEASE DEALS.
  • Options
    flonyaiflonyai Member Posts: 6
    I checked whether there is any incentives on the Axiom on the West Coast, an no one knew anything. Even the official Isuzu site could not come up with an incentive. Zeen, what did you posted was for the East Coast?

By the way, I haven't seen too much movement on the lots as far as Axioms. There is such a huge onslaught of new SUV's that every one is trying to figure out which way to go: Ford/Mercury, the GM trio, the upcoming Buick, the Suzuki Vitara 7 passenger, and all the older SUV's. It't becoming more and more difficult to figure out what actually are your needs, your budget and whom to listen to.
  • Options
    I am on the East Coast. The dealer got word today so perhaps it will take a day or two to get to most dealers. The deal is
    2.9% for 2 years
    3.9% for 3 years
    4.9% for 4 years
    5.9% for 5 years
  • Options
    Very attractive warranty to go with the good financing rates. I wonder if Isuzu will still be around in 2011 to honor the warranty. They had some big layoffs today. Possible they'll be fully integrated into GM someday?
  • Options
    I don't think they'll fully become part of GM. And I'm sure they'll be around in 2011 :)

-mike
  • Options
    ocelot1ocelot1 Member Posts: 101
    Hey paisan I have a montero and my (Safari Roof) as Mitsubishi calls it is 34inch wide and 30inch long in the open position.Whats yours measure? Mine starts from the back of the front seats. When its open a person can standup in front of the rear seat and look out I guess to take pitures of the lions Huh!! Now days we take photos instead of shots.Tony
  • Options
    I believe that the monty (my 2nd favorite SUV only cause it costs more than the Trooper) has just a slightly smaller oepning, they may be right on par though. I'll have to get out my tape measure tonight and verify. Last year 3 of us were hanging out the roof watching the 4th of July fireworks. Aren't they simple the best stock moon-roofs around?

-mike

PS: won't find any explorers in Africa I bet!
  • Options
    ideatampaideatampa Member Posts: 16
    After reviewing all of the SUVs available in the "mid" price range, I decided that the Axiom truly provides the best of all worlds. Size, features, space and price make the vehicle hard to beat. I even like the body shape and two tone leather interior (while doesn't work with all exterior colors) which isn't surprising as I am an architect and I like "edgely" products.

However, I prefer to lease my vehicles and this may be the sole reason that I will probably pass on the Axiom. When I discussed leasing with my local dealer, I found the monthly payment to be very high as the residual value on 48 months, per their bank, is 44% ( Isuzu doesn't have a lease program on the Axiom). If you run some quick numbers you will be surprised to find out that this payment matches that of the Acura MDX (in the base version and equally equipped) because while it is more expensive the residual is significantly higher (58%).

Again, I realize that the Axiom is a 2002 and the Acura MDX is a 2001 but if the leasing dollars are equal its makes it difficult to consider the Axiom at this time.
  • Options
    If you hold off for a month or 2 I'm sure the deals will sweaten up. Currently on the EC there is financing deal on the Axioms so I'm sure lease deals aren't far behind. I'll admit though, because of low-resale value on Isuzu products it is not usually a good idea to lease them. They are a more traditional vehicle, drive til it drops (usuall 10/200K miles later) in which case your $/mile is quite low.

-mike
  • Options
    I had the same problem. But with the financing deal, it probably pays to buy if you're willing to keep the vehicle for 6 years or more. You might even get lucky and find that the resale value beats the residuals they are using. Isuzu has to get some Axioms on the road to generate interest.
  • Options
    Looks like they are darn near the same size.

28" x 36" on the Trooper moonroof. I'd call em the same size roughly.

Much larger than the "roof vents" as I like to call em on other SUVs!

-mike
  • Options
    ocelot1ocelot1 Member Posts: 101
    yup looks to be the same couple of inches here couple there. Hey thanks for playing along!! Tony
  • Options
    They are great trucks. At the car show, my buddy and I thought wow, this is a cool truck, just like our troopers. I'd say that Isuzu could learn a few tricks from the Mitsu guys...

1) 5 speed automatic tranny
    2) Rear Indy Suspension
    3) 3 rows of seats

The Monty can learn from isuzu:
    1) Boxy classier less cury looks
    2) split rear doors (the one big door is PITA)
    3) rear door open so that the open side is facing the pass side (for curbside loading)
    4) 2wd mode available in the models with AWD.

Both can learn:
    1) More power, at least optional
    2) Marketing? They both seem like great trucks, but no one seems to be buying them.

-mike
  • Options
    Thanks for the purchase suggestion, but it simply doesn't pay (this isn't my first vehicle). First off, when you own your firm or if you are self-employed leasing simply makes the best financial sense.

Let's face it, most of the high-end vehicles ($30K+) are today leased. The monthly payment on a $30K vehicle (given a small down) would be nearly $700.00 and a lease would be around $400.00 (a big savings). Hence, if Isuzu wants to attract the higher-end customer they are going to have make it attractive.

In fact, my local dealer has only sold three in two months and his supply seems to sitting collecting dust. The return of "Joe" is cute and Isuzu sales are up (approximately 11%) but their Rodeo and Trooper sales and not Axiom.

Again, if you are keeping a vehicle for more than four years, your right it pays to purchase. However, I never seen a vehicle with a residual as low as Isuzu which in some ways makes me question their product despite the good reports I get from friends and associates.
  • Options
    In test driving the Axiom, I noticed a few matters that I wish Isuzu would correct. Some of these are major and many are things competitors already acknowledge.

First off, the gas and brake pedals are two close for comfort. I don't have a large foot but when it was on the gas pedal it was hard to find a position in which the brake didn't dig into my arch. Also the floor is a bit high in the second row causing someone who is tall to feel that their knees are in their face (not so in the front).

On the minor side, I would like to see a rear window that opened separately and a fuel door that locks. I would also like to see the antenna powered or eliminated (as in Acuras) and side step rails at least as an option (my wife is 5'-2").

On the design side, while I like the leather combination, its sharp and smart looking (Mercedes has one that is similar as a costly option) and it fits with the body design; but it doesn't work with the colors. I understand that Isuzu cannot provide countless alternatives as the dollars don't exist, however a black/silver scheme might work as an alternative.
  • Options
    Did you look at the trooper? All your major concerns are addressed in the troopers...

-mike
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Chicago Sun-Times review of the 2002 Isuzu Axiom.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    Come to the Isuzu Owner's Chat tonight, if you are an owner, or interested in buying one! 10pm-11pm EST this evening.

-mike

http://isuzu-suvs.com

• Options
    crunchycrunchy Member Posts: 26
    Talked to my Isuzu dealer yesterday, he said they haven't sold ANY Axioms yet. Just FYI.

Sue
  • Options
    The Trooper does address many of the issues I pointed out that need improvement in the Axiom and its cost is about the same.

However, the styling of the Trooper to me is dated and it simply doesn't grab my attention (exterior or interior). The Axiom answers the emotional side of getting a new vehicle, but without a good lease program, I sorry to say mine (the one I would have gotten) is simply going to have to sit on the lot with its siblings.
  • Options
    I really wanted to lease and although I was quite tempted to buy an Axiom, I leased an Envoy. I feared a rapid depreciation in the value of the Axiom. I also had too much doubt about how long I could stand the color of the cloth. In the end, I felt awfully bad about disappointing the Axiom salesman who spent a lot of time with me and expressed his regret about the lack of an Axiom lease deal and the general slow sales.
  • Options
    good luck with it. Sorry to hear that the american marketing got to yah! But it probably is a better lease deal cause it will have a higher re-sale due to it's being more popular. The isuzus are best kept for at least 5 years.

-mike
  • Options
    I too am disappointed that I have to look at another product. My wife and I immediate settled on the Axiom for all of the reasons above but the lack of a good lease kill the deal quick. Just take a ride down to your Isuzu and Acura dealers and for every Axiom sitting there is another MDX on the road (even with the MDX costing nearly $9K more).

Personally it you are purchasing a vehicle based on what it will be worth down the road then you are investing your money in the wrong arena. It should matter little what the value will be if it is the vehicle you like and you are going to be driving it for many years. However, value plays the most important role when you are considering a lease as it effects the payment; the reason why most people choose this route in the first place.

Again, I may return to the Axiom as their simply little out there of equal value but the lease deals to be had on a Acura MDX (if you can get one) may make that unlikely.

As I mentioned Isuzu took a page from the Acura playbook. Build a vehicle with good styling, performance, size and features and the public will come to you. However, if you cannot
  • Options
    I got a call from the local dealer today advising that new lease incentives are being offered for the Axiom. The lease prices had been too high due to a low residual. So now there are both financing and lease deals. Hopefully for these poor Isuzu salesmen, the Axioms will start to move.
  • Options
    I also got a call from my local dealer on Friday to advise me that Isuzu was now offering a lease program on the Axiom. He left me a message with a figure but it was still only $5.00 less than that of the bank; let's face it you have to work on the residual and money factor to change the payment (not just who supplies the cash).

Again, I have to give my dealer a pat on the back for trying to make a deal, but its still going to take somemore work on his part to get back in to the showroom. In fact, I drove to Miami for the holiday weekend (a 700 mile round trip) and while I saw two Axiom billboards (and more RX300 than oranges) I didn't see a single one on the road. Interesting?
  • Options
    axiomaticaxiomatic Member Posts: 2
    But I like it that way. The different look is what appealed to me in the first place, so I didn't want an SUV that looks like all the others. The Axiom drives great and looks great by my estimation. We checked out the Montero, 4Runner, Tribute, Escape, Santa Fe--but the Axiom had everything we wanted especially the comfort. The dealerships were very tight about discounting, which is probably the main reason the cars don't appear to be selling well. We got them to grudgingly take $1K off the price since we paid cash. Our model had the intro package with moon roof, mud flaps, side molding and trailer hitch; these extras do much for the appearance. The anthracite and canal blue are much more exciting than the other color offerings. The cloth interior soils rather easily, but the lumbar seats are extremely comfortable. The Axiom was the most fun and comfortable ride out of all the SUV's we tested. We couldn't be happier with our choice. Love that space-agy look!
  • Options
    Be sure to check out the Isuzu owner's club and our chats on Thurs. nights. Also check out http://isuzu-suvs.com it's my webpage. (It's down currently til tonight) Send me pics of your Axiom and you'll be the first Axiom in the Gallery.

-mike

• Options
    jakeg64jakeg64 Member Posts: 23
    I found this site yesterday and read all the messages last night. I've been looking @ the Axiom for a month now and was very anxious to purchase an XS model today. I did my homework and got a very fair deal (more about this another time). I thought I covered all bases, but started to question the roof rack issue. The brochure mentions it has one as an accessory. Today I spoke with 3 companies. Isuzu customer service didn't think the car was made for one, but then recognized that the accessory was listed. The Thule roof rack company has not even looked at the vehicle and doesn't have any of the specs and doesn't think they'll have an answer before the end of the summer, but I have a call into their engineer. A dealer in NJ spoke to an Isuzu rep. and he said Isuzu made a rack, but "didn't like the way it looked," so they're not making one now. The salesperson was very confident that someone like Thule or Yakima will eventually make a rack. I think that depends on how well the car does in sales. He told me about the hype with the SPY KIDS movie, the Radio Shack model of the car, and that Burger King will be offering a toy model of the Axiom. All this will increase awareness and hopefully pick up sales.
    Anyway, I definitely need a car with a roof rack for camping gear, skis, bikes, etc. How could Isuzu make an SUV without at least the potential of putting on a roof rack? Maybe you can help. Maybe I'm jumping the gun. Does anyone have any insights re: this? The question is: is it feasible or likely that either Isuzu or an after market company will make a rack for the car in the next 2-3 months? Can it even accommodate one? I have a good opportunity (end of month) to buy the car tonight, but can't get myself into a car that can't accommodate a rack.
    Even with the latest news about Isuzu layoffs (& GM's dilemma) and even with the fact that the company generated a finance incentive on a brand new model (unheard of?), I still have decided on the Axiom, but this roof rack issue is eating at me. Thanks for any feedback.
    JG
  • Options
    I'm sure that you can use one of the Yakima or Thule racks that use the rain gutters. I'd actually be suprised if one of their generic ones doesn't bolt right on. You also might try out a Rodeo Yakima or Thule rack. Also you might want to call up Cerami-Isuzu in New Jersey. They have been selling Troopers with racks for years even though there is no Isuzu one available, so their service dept or prep department might be able to give you a lead. As I said before, any generic rack will likely work on it.

-mike
  • Options
    keepontroopinkeepontroopin Member Posts: 297
    Contact Mule Roof Racks and they will set you up!

http://members.aol.com/prol1ne/mule.html

• Options
    Just posted this on the other board and wanted to share my wish list here. Maybe someone will listen (next year). Thanks for the advice about the roof rack. I learned that Yakima does have specs on the Axiom and offers a rack system, but it only supports 125 lbs. as compared to Thule's 165. Unfortunately, Thule hasn't reviewed it yet. Cerami parts dept. was not helpful at all. I probably spoke to the wrong person. I'll check out Mule Roof Racks. Here's my list:
    Add a roof rack
    Add dual climate control
    Add Onstar as option
    Give the seats 8-way instead of 4-way positioning
    Give an option of a rear spoiler
    Put the CD changer in-dash instead of taking up room in the center console
    Provide a little more room between brake and gas pedals.
    Obviously, get rid of the "orange" cloth and upgrade the quality.
    Give option of rear AC
    *Upgrade the design of the headrests, but more importantly, allow the back seats to fold flat without having to remove the headrests, like in the Highlander.
    Other than that, the ride is beautiful and the interior is sharp! Seems like a great value for the money.
  • Options
    Oh yeah, one last thing: give option of running boards, matching color.
  • Options
    Your wish list (and addendum) looks pretty complete, but the most important item to me that requires immediate attention is the position of the gas/brake pedal. This is a safety issue that should have been addressed from the start.

However, if your looking for a few other items to include on your list let me offer the following addendum. It would be great to have a compartment to sotre a notebook computer and a space to hold a Palm/Visor. Buick has already addressed the former and its probably the nicest feature in their SUV.
  • Options
    You mean their Mini-van right? :)

Also the 2nd set of air-conditioning IMHO is just a waste of space and power on a 2-row vehicle. My Trooper's air works fine for the 2nd row of passengers w/o having 10,000 dials and buttons, and adjustments. But I'm sure once GM fully takes over Isuzu, we'll get all the crappy GM buttons and gadgetry. Simple is better IMHO. Those 2nd sets of A/C, and doo-dads don't last to 250K miles. :)

I'd like to see a laptop holder, but for $100 I can buy an aftermarket laptop stand that will be better than any stock one they can cook up.

-mike
  • Options
    One other item that I would add to the wish list is an extension (maybe an perforated grill) at the rear bumper to cover the spare (its very visible). In my opinion it is probably the only negative in the area of exterior style.

As for rear A/C, I have yet to find one that really works well. I would welcome additional outlets in the center console if they really moved the air.
  • Options
    The last thing we need is for GM designers to get involved with Isuzu. The Axiom is a well thought out vehicle and with some minor adds, a safety correction (brake/gas pedal placement) and a good lease, it could be great. If the Pontiac Aztec is an example of GM cutting edge design and develope they should let Isuzu buy them out.

The main problem with the Axiom is that Isuzu is keeping it a secret and the competitors aren't worried about it (trust me when I mention the Axiom in my SUV hunt, most salespeople go "?").

Lets fact it the advertisements, while cute, don't promote the vehicle. If the vehicle is suppose to represent the edge, then the ads should have an edge. Its time for Isuzu to "let the dogs out."
  • Options
    mtbrmtbr Member Posts: 1
    After several weeks of hard car shopping my wife and I picked up an Axiom. I have to say it's the best thing out there for the $$. We beat the dealer up quite a bit and knocked close to $2000 off the price. Comfy ride and a bit more space then our Cherokee...
  • Options
    conman2000conman2000 Member Posts: 158
    I was just in Clearwater(near Tampa, FL) and saw one black AX on the road! If it only had 0% I would have got it over my 01 Trooper. The XS with moonroof is nice!

Cheers,
    Con
  • Options
    baddestbob1baddestbob1 Member Posts: 96
    I was about the first eager beaver on the new Axiom but neither dealers or Isuzu would get seriousl to deal, almost popped for mid range 4WD Trooper @ $25Kcash but instead worked a deal for a Canadian SE, AWD (not 4WD), LSD, sunroof, auto, etc, all except leather for $24,215 plus 2.5% import duty. I really liked both Isuzu models but feel I got a lot more bang for the buck and cream of the cream quality.
    Personally, I am concerned about the future of Isuzu as an entity and possible future effects on owners of Isuzu vehicles.
    Good wishes, "Troop on", I'm "Enjoying the Ride".
  • Options
    r_yeer_yee Member Posts: 1
    Seems that most people are happy with their AXIOM purchase -- for those who have purchased, have you found pricing to be attractive? Anyone been able to buy for UNDER invoice? I've gotten quotes about midway between invoice and MSRP (4wd XS)

Thanks.
  • Options
    Depends on what you consider invoice. Since Isuzu reports invoice numbers without holdback included, do you mean invoice to represent a dollar amount with holdback included or not? I haven't found anyone dipping into the holdback (yet) to sell the car. Isuzu's holdback is 4% of the MSRP. It's broken down into a 3% holdback and 1% "floorplan".
  • Options
    10-11pm EST. Come chat with other Isuzu Owners. If you are an owner, or prospective owner, you don't want to miss this opportunity to get in touch live with other's who have real world experience.

http://www.edmunds.com/chat/isuzuchat.html

-mike

• Options
    Where are all the Axiom lovers? Axiom likers? Anyone the least bit curious? Isn't this a new model? Hell, there's a toy model of it already! Just wondering what happened to the interest. I recently saw the new leasing deal on TV ad. I hope it helps.
  • Options
    conman2000conman2000 Member Posts: 158
    The Stock market does not help much too. plus the so many other SUV/Wagons out there. Isuzu needs to extend the 0% to the AX and then it will fly.

Cheers,
    Con