Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Road Trip!

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,532
    I had a Jeep CJ-5. Every time we went off road, I would end up stuck, eventually. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,896
    kyfdx said:

I had a Jeep CJ-5. Every time we went off road, I would end up stuck, eventually. ;)

You weren't doing it right if you didn't.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    My daughter is visiting so a few road trips around Southern Nevada are on our agenda. First we took her to Red Rock Canyon and on to Costco and See's Candy her must stop while here.

Of course Death Valley is a must and we picked one of the few rainy days of the year.

Then for some off roading in Ash Meadows a very unique National Conservation area. It is home to 29 species of flora and fauna that are no other place on the planet. The crystal clear springs are home to the Pup Fish. This Spring puts out 2800 gallons a minute feeding a lake about a mile away. It does not look 15 feet deep. We did drive 14 miles on a rough gravel road to get there.

• jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    Great pics @tifighter and @gagrice!

@gagrice were you in the Touareg or the Canyon?
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Say gagrice, if your daughter is a cholate fan and it is still there, Ethel M in Henderson has tours and very good candy. They also have a nice cactus park around the facility.
    jpp5862 said:

We took the Touareg. Much more comfortable in the back seat.
    berri said:

Say gagrice, if your daughter is a cholate fan and it is still there, Ethel M in Henderson has tours and very good candy. They also have a nice cactus park around the facility.

That is the debate of the century who has the best Chocolate. See's fans do not consider Ethel M in the same league. Of course the Europeans think they have good chocolate. I am happy with Made in Michigan Sanders Sea Salt Chocolate caramels. Paying $23 a lb or more does not add to the enjoyment for me. See's is a few blocks from Costco. We buy two $25 See's gift cards for $38 and go chocolate shopping. Ethel M is across Las Vegas. Driving in any city is not my idea of a fun Road Trip.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,896
    Hersey’s special dark. $1.99 and I’m happy. Lol.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

tjc78 said:

Hersey’s special dark. $1.99 and I’m happy. Lol.

lol..

What I like about See's? Free samples while I'm "shopping".

But, there is a Godiva store in the same mall... mmmmm

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,603
    jpp5862 said:

Thanks! Waiting on your Touareg off road photos...

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,896
    tifighter said:

jpp5862 said:

Thanks! Waiting on your Touareg off road photos...
    I'm sure we can find a trail or two for the Touareg and the new Discovery @breld picked up.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

jpp5862 said:

We take the Touareg. More comfortable off road. Glad we get free car washes at our GMC dealer. The Touareg was a mess after the rain and dirt roads. If it is just me and the wife we will drive the Canyon. Better ground clearance. We will start exploring more now that we are all settled in. More company coming next week.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131
    Took a drive up to Mt. St. Helens with a group of people yesterday, 38 years and a day after the eruption. The mountain was partially shrouded in clouds, but as always, impressive:

A short clip of the pack driving up:

https://youtu.be/8K-BJB0ts6M
    Do you know where this glacier mountain volcano is located that I just read about briefly and is apparently hidden somewhere out your way? Supposedly, one of the potentially most dangerous volcano's on the continental US? I hadn't heard about that one before.
    Like a subglacial volcano? I am not aware of any near here. Rainier is still considered the most dangerous one in the area, I think.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Baker was a big concern when I lived up there, but that was decades ago.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,780
    I would think that Ranier and Hood are probably of the highest threat potential just because of their proximity to huge population centers. As we've seen (or at least evidenced), Cascades eruptions are typically violent. The Helens eruption in 1980 is "typical" of eruptions in this range, and the entire range remains active, so the threat is certainly real. We will all be fortunate if such eruptions do not approach or exceed the scale of Helens, let alone that of Mazama (which created "Crater Lake").

Still, it amazes me just how little green was evident in those photos, Fin! I remember flying over that area on my way into Seattle in the mid-90s, and it was just a massive swath of devastation (~fifteen years after the fact?). It doesn't look all that much different now after another 20+ years.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    As housing prices continue to escalate here and people spread out, there's more development closer to Rainier - real danger from mudflows on a volcano with numerous glaciers. Probably similar to a lesser extent at Hood. I wouldn't be too afraid of a pyroclastic flow or similar unless I was within maybe 10 miles. But water and mud, watch out.

I went on a hike down to Spirit Lake in 1995, I remember it clearly, and it was still quite barren - a lot less green than now. I guess 38 years is a millisecond in geologic or even environmental time, and there's still a stark contrast between the blast zone and surrounding areas.
    We visited last year, on our way back to SEA from Portland. Spectacular and amazing.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Saw something crazy on the road today, on a road to be specific, right outside my front room window. A Camry and a police car got tangled. From what I can tell, the police car was in the right lane (4 lane street with center turn lane) with lights and sirens blazing, as the right lane was empty because many often turn left at the next intersection. Camry driver panicked, and veered right as the police Explorer was about to zoom by. Only cosmetic looking damage to both, they were able to drive away after being parked for an hour or two.
    LOL "Drivers." /sigh
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Heading out on our road trip this afternoon (AK to OR and back)! Tons to do in the meantime, though I will make an effort to send a pic or two your way...! :)
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    xwesx said:

Heading out on our road trip this afternoon (AK to OR and back)! Tons to do in the meantime, though I will make an effort to send a pic or two your way...! :)

Which car is making the trip?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    edited June 2018
    andres3 said:

xwesx said:

Which car is making the trip?
    Sadly, the 2013 Forester. I very much wanted to take the Q7 on this one as it is infinitely more comfortable for road jaunts (and we still have it!), but my wife would not hear of it. /sigh

Don't get me wrong, I do like the Forester. It is just not even in the same league when it comes to cruising comfort! :(

I checked my records last night and found we were at about 9,300 miles since the oil change last July, so, since this car is fairly new to us, I changed the oil last night, added a Fumoto oil drain valve, checked and conditioned the serpentine belt, and topped of fluids.

We should be good to go!
    Not really a big update, but we're on our way! We stopped for tonight in Abbotsford, BC (just outside of Vancouver). Fun runs thus far; we covered a few miles! Here's a nice early morning shot my son took:

How about this shot of Pioneer Peak, from the top of Bodenburg Butte outside Palmer, last weekend after we finished hiking to the top of the butte? It was such a perfect day.....

All my trips on the Alcan, I never saw more than one Bison at a time. Where was that herd at? I would see them around Kluane lake. Is the highway all paved now? My last trip was around 1995 ish. A very fast 4 days from Anchorage to San Diego. My son shared the driving with me.
    Nice pics, I guess you'll be crossing through my area today.
    Not quite, fin!   We’re here now.... recognize it?   
    Gary, those bison were just east of Liard Hot Springs.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen any as far west or north as Kluane, though lots of elk near there.  

My my first drive was August 1995.  Definitely a whole different road back then!
    We’ll roll through Seattle area early tomorrow morning.  
    Tsawwassen? I see BC ferries and what looks like Canadian signs and taxis.

Weather should be good here for a few days.
    Yes!   We left from Tsawwassen terminal; this is Vancouver Island terminal.  Swartz Bay, I think.  Spent the day at Butchart Gardens.  

The PNW (including that portion of Canada) is very picturesque. Just don't get caught up in the new trade wars with our ally ;)
    Nice, you'll have a lovely drive tomorrow, and good on avoiding Seattle on the weekends - lots of construction locally, moving at a snails pace.
  • virtualkingvirtualking Member Posts: 5
    I have many road trips but best one I have was Leh Ladakh in India, it was amazing one. Its with my friends and I have enjoyed snow well
    You may have jinxed us, Fintail!    We were about ten miles into Washington this morning when a man backing out of his blind driveway with a canoe sticking about ten feet out the back sideswiped us.  My wife almost avoided it if he wasn’t continuing to back out, but he managed to take out the oassenger mirror and all the glass along that side of the car.  Quite a mess!

Geez. That will take a bite out of your travel time.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

edited June 2018
    The good news is that everyone is fine.  Glass everywhere, including completely dousing my son in the back right seat, but no cuts, etc.  

The gentleman was quite kind and let us spend a solid 45 min in his driveway with his shop vac cleaning up glass.  I think I got most of it!

Yikes! Hey, I just said the weather would be nice, I made no promises about questionably skilled drivers with canoes ;)

Good to know there were no injuries. Going to get it fixed locally, or go with the plastic bag look? If anything, with the cars so popular here, parts will be easy to find.
    Probably plastic bag. No time to do the body shop here.   Lowe’s saved our bacon for now!

Oh, and the weather is gorgeous; thanks for that!    B)
    Needs more duct tape. Hope you dodge any rain!
    In states like Ohio or Maryland the state patrol would probably find a way to write a ticket for fine revenues ;)
    berri said:

In states like Ohio or Maryland the state patrol would probably find a way to write a ticket for fine revenues ;)

I hear Illinois is the worst state in the country for petty ticket writing. My son in law would go hundreds of miles out of his way to avoid Illinois.
    They do seem to lay down speed traps in rural areas that aren't busy or criminal laden. Of course, they could get killed in the Chicago area by either the gang bangers or the wild west drivers...and if states were allowed to bankrupt, they'd probably be there, so cash is king!
    Ohio had a so-called town disbanded because of its speedtrap. I hear Virginia and Florida are also especially bad.
    A suburb of Columbus. They literally had no other reason to exist. But, I think they disbanded after the spotlight showed other malfeasance among the elected officials.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

States like Ohio go overboard with disguised spoofs and aerial patrols. I have to wonder of some of that stuff doesn't cost more money than it brings in.