Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    You ordered the exhaust? SWEET!!! I expect lots of pics!! :D
  • Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    once i receive the exhaust from dealer... however long that'll take... :)
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    ... hmmmmm.

Meade
  • Options
    rbrooks3rbrooks3 Member Posts: 174
    Once you get it, let us know how it sounds. I'm in the market for an exhaust for my Pro but I want to buy based on sound, not supposed hp gain. I'm looking for something with a lower rumble. Nothing that screams like a buzzin' hornet or drones on endlessly. When you say Mazdaspeed exhaust, is it the sport rear muffler section or the entire cat-back system? My dealer only has the factory sport rear muffler. It's my first choice but I haven't been able to hear one yet.
  • Options
    go here

http://www.protegeclub.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8148

very VERY deep throaty sound I would say :)
  • Options
    ... finally got to my Protege yesterday. It was 95 degrees with 80 percent humidity yesterday afternoon when I got in my car in the parking deck at work. Started it up, turned on the a/c and ...

PEEEWWWWWWWW!!!!!!

I was right back in the high school gym with a month-old pair of stinkin' gym socks. YUCK!!!

Taking heed of some things I've read here, I proceeded to crank up the heat all the way (which really wasn't that bad), roll down the windows and kick the fan up to high. I drove about 20 miles like that (luckily at high speed, so I didn't sweat TOO much). Starting it up later yesterday, and again this morning, I didn't smell a thing.

My buddy here in town who has the same car I do (2000 ES) has been plagued by gym-sock a/c for about a year now. He has taken his car in twice to have the cleaning stuff sprayed in it, which worked for a while but it always came back, and finally, a few months ago, he took it in and they removed the condenser, cleaned it and added some kind of coating that's supposed to help -- which it did, for a couple months, and then it came back.

I'll keep you guys posted. I hope mine doesn't become a regular occurrence, because even though I'm still under warranty and have an extended warranty too, I don't want to have to deal with a car that smells like a locker room all the time! Phew!

Meade
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I have never heard of the odor thing before. I never had it in either of my Proteges either, and not this loaner either. Weird.
  • Options
    chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Thanks for the reminder about turning on the heat and all.

While driving back from Michigan last week, I actually used the AC (don't have it on very often) and did notice an odor.

Next time, I'll give that a try.

--Dale
  • Options
    :)
  • Options
    What's the inside joke with Paul? Did you two spend the night together or something .... ?

Meade
  • Options
    No, Meade, I just noticed that Paul and I happened to post at the same time.

Oh, dear. Another comment ripe for innuendo.

This is a family forum, people!!!!!!!

Morning, Meade.

There. Feel better now?

--Dale
  • Options
    Mornin', Dale.

And what's so bad about my home page colors? Geesh, let a guy have some fun once in awhile!

(Sorry to cross-post here, guys. But Dale has a split personality too -- here and on the Yahoo group at the same time. It's amazing how two people can carry on two entirely different conversations -- and have different attitudes -- at the same time on two discussions!!!)

Meade

(Back over to yahoo ...)
  • Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Of course, this means taking apart the dash. Kind of something you try if the the old disinfectant spray trick doesn't work.

Humidity and heat lets stuff grow in there. Running the AC regularly helps prevent this by dehumidifying the air.

I have the same issue with the humid, mold-spore-ridden air in the OH valley with my '89 323. So far, not with my '99 Pro.
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Aren't they offering 0% for 5 years? I thought that's what I saw.
  • Options
    I think what happened was, I park underground and it stays pretty humid down there all day. Yesterday morning was particularly humid and I ran the a/c all the way to work. I guess during the morning, the still-cold system had condensation form all over it down in the hot, humid parking deck, and it stagnated there all day until I came in and turned everything on again. Since we don't have assigned spaces in the deck and there are five above-ground levels, I may try parking above ground from now on and stay out of the tomb-like catacombs where the air doesn't move around. I just hope I haven't "planted" something in my system that's there to stay now! Can the mold die on its own?

Meade
  • Options
    meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    My mom's old Acura had a chipmunk climb into the fan area and when she turned on the A/C it tore the poor bugger into bits. Didn't know it until a week later when the horid smell started permeating the car. Took it to the dealer that found bits and pieces and cleaned them out, but it still took weeks for the odor to get out of the car completely. It was awful, had to drive with the windows down and lots of air freshener......
  • Options
    (It's off-topic because it ain't about Proteges. It's on-topic because it's still about cars.)

Back in my Hyundai Excel days, I was driving home from Charlottesville, Virginia (er, college party) in the wee hours one summer morning. To make matters worse, I was on U.S. 250 out in the country -- forest for miles and miles. I came around a bend in this two-lane road, and there's a big, big, big SKUNK in the middle of my lane. And wouldn't you know it, at that precise moment, the only car I'd seen in 20 miles is coming the other way. I was going 60 and had no time to slam on the brakes, nor could I get around him in the other lane because of aforementioned vehicle. So I decided the best thing to do would be to steer over him and hope I could clear him between my tires. Wouldnt' you know it, about five feet from my bumper this animal hunkers up on his hind legs, making him about a foot and a half tall! WHAM! Thump thump thump!!! I look in the rear view mirror and his lifeless corpse is tumbling off the side of the road behind me. Well, about 30 miles later I got home, to discover ... Guess what he was doing as he got up on his hind legs? SPRAYING his ATTACKER! Man, he got me good. All over my undercarriage, exhaust, converter, muffler, everything. You could hardly get near the car it stunk so bad. My dad ran back into the house after going to the driveway to go to work the next morning, yelling, "What the HELL is that SMELL???!!!!!" Somehow I braved the pungence and went to the local car wash the next day and told the (by then gagging) manager what had happened, and he, pitying me, let me go through the undercarriage wash about a half-dozen times for the price of one wash. (I asked if he had a special "tomato juice" undercarriage wash, but he didn't.) Oh -- and I rolled my windows up. (Just wanted to get that in there.) The six washes helped, but for the rest of that summer, every time the car's exhaust warmed up, a faint smell of putrid skunk permeated the air around the car. And to make matters worse, the little Hyundai didn't have a/c, so the windows were always down and that smell wafted up from underneath the car at every traffic light. GAG!

Meade
  • Options
    THAT'S what happened to your old buddy Chip. Raymond's mom converted him to mincemeat in her Acura!!!

Meade

P.S. I've heard of food processors, but this is ridiculous ...
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    This sounds like a great conversation for the Posse Playground!!

• Options
    At least the spores are. All you can do is keep it from flourishing and remove it where it grows (just like in your bathroom). If you keep it dry, it may not be noticeable, but it won't take much moisture for it to come back quickly. Mold bites, as some unlucky homeowners are finding out.

I find Lysol works for a few weeks at a time (turn on you vent and spray it into the intake behind the hood, or above the dash if on recirculate). Uh, be careful spraying around the engine, so you don't blow yourself up, OK?

If you end up actually washing out the air ducts, a mild bleach solution works great as a longer-term solution (it'd better be for all that effort).
  • Options
  • Options
    jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    I know there are some California owners other than maltb and sharonf lurking around in here. Once again, I still have room for 9 more vehicles on my permit... Here's some more information to entice someone...

Kartboy.com has donated several parts to raffle off:

2 x Short Shifter Kits (retail: $100)

5 x Shifter Bushings (retail: $35)

1 x Kartboy ShifterBall Hat

Dozens of Kartboy.com logos and stickers

We also have Mazda water bottles, Mazda cameras, and gobs of various Mazda stickers to hand out!

There is more than enough burgers (meat and veggie plus all the fixings), hot dogs, chips, potato salad, sodas, and water to shake a stick at!

Anyone in California? Anyone?

-Jerry

http://www.caliprotegemeet.1hwy.com
  • Options
    after TWO off-topic posts ... but as for the hosts ...

Just kidding, Pat. Off I go, dragging my stinky little car along with me to my corner. Do I get dinner tonight?

Meade
  • Options
    I just went out for lunch, which meant I had to get into StinkyPro and turn on the a/c. Guess what? After a half-day in the steamy catacomb known as the Downtown Expressway Parking Deck, StinkyPro didn't Stink at all! But Stinky's now back in the deck, but in a nice spot overlooking Ninth Street with a nice breeze blowin' in his face!

OK, I'm off now. Time to get the chalk.

I will take my off-topic posts to the Posse.

Meade
  • Options
    Your car may stink occasionally, but at least it doesn't rattle! :)
  • Options
    Starting to sound like a description of Sean's bedroom!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Meade
  • Options

Meade
  • Options
    boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    So, I am taking a hard look at the Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 as a replacement tire for my 2001 Pro ES. Especially since I have gotten zero feedback for the Toyo tires (Thanks people [insert sarcasm here]). The only real down side that I can see to the Kumhos is that my tires' speed rating will go from a V (<149 MPH) to an H (<130 MPH). I know I will never have my Protege anywhere near these speeds. Does it really matter if I go down a notch on the Speed Rating?
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
  • Options
    shriqueshrique Member Posts: 338
    Well a couple of things will change but the one that makes a difference is that the sidewalls will often be more flexible with the lower speed rating. Consequently the turn-in and cornering ability may feel a bit "looser". It's a personal thing whether it matters or not.
  • Options
    Now I'm off to zoom-zoom to an optometrist appointment on my way home.

So I guess my "Honestly, I didn't see the sign, officer" statements won't work anymore ...

Have a great weekend everybody!

Meade
  • Options
    boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    I don't suppose you have one of those Excel files for 2001 ES Pros, do you?
  • Options
    alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    Recent article on small sedans says that you have to use something like a key to release something regarding the rear safety belts, in order to lower the rear seat backs. What is that all about?

My 2002 Protege LX has a knob on each side which allows the 40% side, or the 60% side (or both together) to be lowered, without any other action needed.

Is this another error in their garbled report?
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    You need to use a key or a something similar to release the middle seatbelt. You can then fold down either side without fear of pulling that middle seatbelt down. I hope that makes sense. :D
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    WOW!!

Can you make it go a little faster?
  • Options
    riopelleriopelle Member Posts: 132
    Paul, I sent that email to your box yesterday.

So I got my yearly insurance renewal,and my premium skyrocketed! I immediately called MET to see what was up, and was informed that the P5 was mis-classified last year,and it is actually a premium small car with a comparable insurance level as the Jetta GLX or Acura RSX. Nice it's so well thought of, but I thought I was buying a reasonable to insure vehicle! Anyone have this same experience, or am I getting shafted? thanks.
  • Options
    kaiserheadkaiserhead Member Posts: 166
    ouch!!! I guess it's time to start looking for a new insurance company. I think that any business (like car insurance) that you are required by law to have should be non-profit or governent run. Car insurance is a license to print money as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    Thanks for quick reply. Apparently my dealer didn't think I was going to use the middle rear seat belt (and in fact I haven't), so he didn't tell me anything about it. The metal parts on my Pro middle belt were already disconnected from the seat area and tucked behind the rear seat in the trunk area. So I wasn't even aware that to use it I would have to reconnect the end piece!
  • Options
    My insurance rate was $195 a month for the 2001 Protege ES I used to have. I was 23 (24 now) at the time, had one point, and live in the city. My insurance went up to $230 a month when I got the 1.8T Jetta. So the Pro isn't the same price as the Jetta when insuring it, not when you are 24 years old anyway. :)
  • Options
    I know you all SO wanna hear this. But I went to get the car on Friday evening from the dealer, all polished, gased, washed, and everything. I did what I said I was going to do, I held the keys to my loaner car then drove mine for about 15 miles or so. The rattle was STILL there. I took everything from the Jetta that was mine but the license plates, took the keys back to the casher, and told them the car was not right and left it there.

Let's see what they say on Monday morning when they find my car still there. I have already sent my Lemon Law letter to the MD State's Attorney's office, and sent my certified letter to VWoA as well. I talked to an attorney about this, and he said I have done everything right so far, and to call him back when I need him, as this progresses further.

Meanwhile, I am driving a 2002 Protege DX. I hope to NEVER see another VW again as long as I live.
  • Options
    protegenicprotegenic Member Posts: 199
    I am really sorry to hear of your continuing woes with the Jetta as we all know how much you loved that car at one point. I think VW's look great and drive great, but the quality thing and service horror stories have all but guaranteed I won't look at them in the future until they prove otherwise.

0% financing on Proteges...
  • Options
    austinnerdaustinnerd Member Posts: 4
    0% for 5 years? The best I got was two years at 0%. Might be a regional offer. I wouldn't mind renegotiating for 3 years at 0%, if possible. If anyone knows how, please share.

Total with TTL, my Protege' was $14.8K here in Austin. I put down a total of $5,900 and financed just under $8,900 for two years.

By the way, I got it back from the dealer yesterday. They filled the gas tank and cleaned it up too!
  • Options
    austinnerdaustinnerd Member Posts: 4
    Yes, I think the 626 has more of a closed-in feeling than the Protege. While I was impressed with the 626 power and luxuries, it felt too....... let's say "Americanized".

What do I mean by Americanized? Well, for starters, the appointments on the car itself. One of the things that sold me on the Protege' was the accents. Very European. For instance, black door handles on a sand paint job. My Protege' is Shimmering Sand Metallic, by the way. On the other hand, the 626 fits the mainstream, American style in this respect. It doesn't seem very well accented.

The seats in the 626 were a substitute leather much like my 2000 B2500. To me, this was unappealling. Very hot when the car is outside during the depths of summer. I also felt more confined in the 626 than in the Pro. I'm 5'10 and 195. I think the console in the 626 seems taller than the Pro therby giving the feeling of more confinement.

I was not impressed with the design of the moonroof on the 626. Apparently, the air dam did not function correctly. After receiving the 626 as a loaner, I went over to my in-laws who happen to live two blocks from the Mazda dealership. Took my father-in-law for a spin around the block with the moonroof fully open and the radio on. The wind noise was horrible at 30 MPH! The only other car I owned with a moonroof, an '85 Jetta with US Specs purchased new in Germany, did not exhibit such terrible wind noise at low speeds. Yes some, but not as pronounced as the 626. My Jetta had a crank handle for the moonroof and the air dam on it was taller and stiffer. An aerodynamics issue maybe? If I remember correctly, I've driven down Autobahn 45 at 85 MPH (140 KPH) with the moonroof open and the wind noise didn't seem as bad.

Don't get me wrong. The 626 is a nice car. I could have raided the old savings account and coughed up enough for such a beast. But after driving the loaner, I'm perfectly happy with my Pro.

As I've seen mentioned on this board, the Pro brings back the old "seat of the pants" feeling I had with my '85 Jetta. The Pro seems stronger and handles better than the Jetta did. The gear ratios on the Pro seem closer.

I've seen you talk about your Jetta here, so I'll mention mine. My German-made Jetta was a good, reliable car that I paid $8,500 for in June, 1985. Took delivery from a VW dealership in Wetzlar, Germany. The deal was arranged by a broker who catered to the military. Put 88,000 miles on it in 3 1/2 years and had no problems whatsoever with it. It was the first "new" car I had ever owned. And thus far, the best. The car had the basic US package plus A/C, power steering, moonroof and skibag. 5 speed. No radio. Bought a German-made Blaupunkt AM/FM cassette and installed it. When I purchased the Jetta, unleaded gasoline was just becoming available in Germany. So I took off the catalytic converter (legal to do so at the time over there) and ran it without. Even without the catalytic converter, I could only manage about 115 MPH on flat stretches of the Autobahn. But it was stable, I'll say that.

As you are probably aware, the climate in Central Europe doesn't exactly require A/C. I think I ran the A/C for a total of maybe 8 hours in the three and one-half years I owned it.

I sold the car in December of 1988. Returned to Germany two years later. In 1993, I saw the soldier I'd sold the car to. He stayed in Germany because of his wife. Five years later, he still had the car and had driven it another 80,000 miles. He said he put new tires and brakes on it along with some minor repairs.

Anyway, good luck with yours. I've noted the problems you are experiencing. Personally, I don't think the newer models share the same quality as the older models.
  • Options
    dermendermen Member Posts: 31
    I am getting a 02 ES 5sp on tuesday. I can't wait to drive it home. It is sunlight silver with ES premium package, wheel locks, 6cd changer, and alarm. I would rather have a refresh model but this is the only es they have and it is the only car I found that has everything I want.
  • Options
    went to Summit Point raceway in West Virginia, and had a 30 minute session of FULL SPEED driving on the track.

And what happened on the track? For the first time ever in the time I've owned the car, the brake failed to stop the car when the pedal is to the metal (e.g. MAJOR brake fade, and I think I wore out my brake pads BIG TIME). Tires were pushed to its limit trying to hang onto the asphalt. Engine was in the 6000rpm range throughout the whole session (turned off O/D so it only went up to 3rd gear), and the gearing on the automatic is SO TALL that the top speed I could achieve on the straightaway was a SLOW 92mph (another guy with a manual P5 reached 110mph on the same straightaway).

All in all, definitely fun times. But I realized something as S2000s and Porsches and other sorts of sports cars were passing me left and right. At the end of the day, the Protege is just an economy car that handles well for its price. In stock form, it simply isn't fully ready for the rigors of track racing. Sad, but very true :(
  • Options
    Sounds like fun, although a little too scary for me.

Anyway, now I have a dumb girl question (do I ever ask any other kind?)

You said the top speed you could achieve was 92...I'm not really following. Is that because you turned off the O/D?

I was at 95 or over just last week (don't tell my mom!), although not for any sustained length of time. Was I imagining it?

--Dale
  • Options
    92 was the fastest I could get my car to in the straightaway section before I have to brake for the turns. Obviously I could reach 3 digit if it was just a straight line, but a racetrack has turns you know :)

basically what I was trying to say is the gearing of the automatic is too high to allow fast ACCELERATION, thus limiting my top speed...
  • Options
    NOW I understand...thanks!

That's right...forgot to take into account those pesky turns.

Good luck at FedEx Field today!

--Dale
  • Options
    How was the California meet?