Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• Options
    protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    Ken, Chikoo has a set of the 205/55/R15 BF GOODRICH T/A's and both my wife and I purchased a set for our 2000 Mazda PRO-ES's. I love the 205/55/15 profile. It fills up the opening in the wheelwells and the 205 width gives the Protege an aggressive sporty look. I purchased our BF GOODRICH T/A's at BJ's Wholesale Club on special. Their Tire Service Center featured the 205/55/R15 BF GOODRICH T/A's last March and I picked up 8 tires for an out the door price of $81.88 each. That included the new tire, environmental disposal tax, mounting, valve stems, free life-time rotation, and state tax etc. The Goody T/A's are a excellent high performance all-season tires. Excellent launch on wet pavement, secure cornering, never protests when driven hard and by gosh the look "bad [non-permissible content removed]"! Ken, I like them, lol. BTW, BJ's Wholesale Club seems to have better prices then Sears, NTB, TireRack.com, Discount Tire, Firestone, Goodyear or any of the local Mom & Pop tire centers on comparable tires, in my area. I'm sure Costco or Sam's wholesale club's, also do well; pricing wise. BTW, Meade Daffron, a real Protege enthusiast has re-fitted his beloved 2000 PRO-ES with Dunlop's in the 205/50/15 size and he LOVES the fitment and the tire. I've heard only awesome things about the Dunlop's! Good luck, Ken. Please lets us know what you buy and how you like them!!!

-love train
  • Options
    dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    I think we tossed around the idea that the winner got some title to which we all referred for a week. protege_fan suggested something like King of the Protege Forum (?). I suggested Geek of the Week.

At sub 7 second 0-60, I for one won't be whining as loudly about only 170 hp. I'll still whine a little, though. ;-)

Hopefully Mazda has learned there lesson about mainstreaming their cars, as mazdafun points out.
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    I said King or Queen....I was being PC ;)
  • Options
    chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    And Nowwww......
    MaltBarley will announce the winner....
  • Options
    Maybe he's sworn to secrecy until the articles come out.

He can tell us, but then he'd have to kill us.
  • Options
    shriqueshrique Member Posts: 338
    is that number published now???? I didn't think anyone had any info on it yet.
  • Options
    shriqueshrique Member Posts: 338
    Wow that really blows! How the heck can Honda do that? I suppose it's the ole' 900lb gorilla adage.
  • Options
    I haven't seen any yet myself - just hints from maltb. He's teasing us. Jerk. ;-)

That's OK. All will be forgiven when he arranges that test drive around Mazda Raceway Leguna Seca. :-D
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Sexual innuendoes do not belong in the Town Hall. There is consideration of shutting down another discussion because participants continue to ignore that requirement.

I have removed some posts and respectfully ask all of you to refrain from that sort of humor.

Thanks.

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    you are awfully late to the party. Check and see if there is any more beer in the cooler.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    yah, I certainly am late today. Once in a blue moon, my life gets in the way of spending every waking minute watch..., er, visiting with you folks!

Happy fourth to fellow/sister Americans and a belated happy Canada day to our neighbors to the North!!
  • Options
    alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    What? You mean Meade didn't get the "aggressive, sporty, bad-[non-permissible content removed]" 205/55-15 size, he settled instead for the mundane 205/50-15 size!! LOL

Thanks for your input. I'm hopefully a long way from needing new tires (I've just reached 1,500 miles). I'm very careful in driving my Pro with Potenzas ---- based on info from this board. But I like to research well in advance of my needs (that's how I came to select my Pro originally).
  • Options
    "BTW, Meade Daffron, a real Protege enthusiast has re-fitted his beloved 2000 PRO-ES with Dunlop's in the 205/50/15 size and he LOVES the fitment and the tire. I've heard only awesome things about the Dunlop's!"
    -lovr train
  • Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    I was wondering what had happened to you. :)

After visiting that thread about the poor fellow targeted by someone in the Honda org, I'm glad this board is moderated.

BTW, another nail in Honda's coffin so far as I'm concerned (actually, I'm sure it's someone pulling a CYA after they realized their own slip-up). Makes me less likely to consider them in the future. I think their new Accord is unattractive anyway (based upon the "spy" shots in the auto mags).

Speaking of ugly, anyone see the new BMW Z4? Whoo! They need some turnover in their design department. You'd think they'd have learned from the 7 series. Then again, there are plenty of folks who'll buy a BMW just because of the "prestige" associated with the brand. What lemmings.
  • Options
    anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    Well I think you have to take anything said on the internet with a grain of salt. We don't know the full story and are only getting one side of the story even if it really happened with Honda.
  • Options
    "Bloated" about describes it, I think. Subjective yes, but that's my opinion. It just doesn't have that "taut" look I like. On the other hand, I'm sure sales figures will be fine because of the hard work put in by Honda to build their reputation for reliability and engineering (well-deserved). They know their consumer: value-conscious, prefers "mainstream" over "exotic" and so on (not that the NSX isn't exotic, but it does speak more to precision than emotion).

The side view of the Z4's front end does look a bit like a shark's, but that's about the most complimentary thing I can say about its design.
  • Options
    Larry, just to be sure --- the tires you have are the Goodrich Touring T/A VR-4 are they not?
  • Options
    Yea, I think so? I'll go check.
  • Options
    http://www.carreview.com/Tires/BF,Goodrich,Touring,T-A,VR4-HR4/PRD_946_1577crx.aspx

http://winfieldtires.safeshopper.com/158/1709.htm?554

Ken, the BF Goodies Touring T/A VR4 205/55/15's, my replacements for the 2000 PRO-ES OEM Bridgestone 195/55/15's. They are not officially considered high performance tires. However, they deliver a quite and smooth settled ride. They feel secure and stabile during my twisty work outs with no noticeable loss in handling. Also very impressive wet weather handling, no tire slip on take-off (Auto Tranny). These BF Goodies are by far, BY FAR the most quiet tires I've ever owned. The 205-55R tires look great and do a better job of filling in the wheel well compartment. This gives my 2000 PRO-ES a more complete look, kinda like it is shod with 16 in. wheels.

http://www.etires.com/showSizes.jsp?manufacturer=bfgoodrich&category=PERF&group=TAVR4

-Larry
  • Options
    Thanks so much Larry for all the references. Seems like just what I'm looking for when I need replacement tires.
  • Options
    No problem, my friend. I do understand that your not currently shopping for replacement tires and your original question pertained to the question of fitment. So I apologize for coming off like a tire store manager, lol!

The short answer to your original question is IMHO the 205/55/15's are great choice and the 205/50/15's are also a good choice. This might help?

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

http://www.paspeedo.com/calculator.htm

-larry
  • Options
    kaiserheadkaiserhead Member Posts: 166
    ....slow weekend, I guess there's going to be a lot of "zoom zoom" stories this week.
  • Options
    Just running errands (and outrunning sloppy SUVs in tight turns) this weekend, but a bright yellow P5 (decorated with a big Mazda banner in the windshield and the Zoom Zoom sticker in rear) pulled up behind me at a light.

Now, most folks are pretty unfriendly in their cars around here, but I ventured a thumbs-up to show my approval of her ride at a red light. She smiled and we went on our way. :)
  • Options
    Just cleaned out a bunch of stuff we'd stopped using, outgrown etc.

Just appreciated the decent-sized doors and fold-down seats. Much more space in the garage now. Room for new stuff! :)
  • Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    no cutting, no welding, just tons of WD-40 to loosen up the rusted nuts, and some extra hands to help out. Took about 45 minutes from start to finish.

Word of caution though, for those that want a nice quiet ride at highway speed, DO NOT get this exhaust. It drones at around 70mph, but it sounds SO GOOD at acceleration.

anyways, here are some pics:

enjoy!
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Looks good! :) Where is the "Racing Beat" insignia? I thought it was on the tip...?
  • Options
    theparallaxtheparallax Member Posts: 361
    WOW...really nice! I'm thinking about getting one, but I don't want that extremely loud look at me everyone fart sound most Hondas make. I've heard the sound clips over at ProtegeClub but how does it sound during normal driving?
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Loud FART sounds??!? :) Too funny. I know what you mean, I hate those Civics that do that at the stoplight. Then they step on the gas and I can still cook them in my 1.8T. :)

Too bad you can't make the Protege "whistle" like the 1.8T does when accelerating. It is so intoxicating to hear that echo when hitting the gas. I think you can put a bypass valve or something on the engine to make it do that, I heard something on VWVortex about it.
  • Options
    these aren't Racing Beat mufflers from the MP3, these are MAZDASPEED mufflers from Mazdaspeed, the factory tuning division from Mazda, hence the 'Mazdaspeed' etching on the exhaust tip.

oh yeah, and this muffler does NOT sound like a fart pipe. It has this AWESOME DEEP LOW growl when you step on the gas, none of that buzzing sound from the Honda engines.

now I need to find something to dampen that darn droning at 70mph...
  • Options
    chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Maybe I should consider getting one to replace the one I crunched last year.
  • Options
    And in the trunk?
  • Options
    townhall9townhall9 Member Posts: 78
    I washed my 5 month old baby (02, light sandalwood, ES) yesterday. 67 degrees - low humidity - morning sun filtering through the trees. The spoiler & pre-refresh 16 inch wheels make a nice looking car - hot. When spotless, my car gets more looks than a supermodel. Even if I came into a lot of money, I would still drive this car.
  • Options
    speedyptspeedypt Member Posts: 200
    The exhaust looks great. I know you've probably answered this before but how much was it?

Zoom Zoom story:
    On my way back from dropping my mother off in DeKalb. I-90 Eastbound from Rt.47 and traffic is horrible! Finally get out into the clear and I'm cruzing along at about 80mph. Three Acura Integras (a '92, a '99 Type R, and a 2002 RSX) all decked out of course with the obligatory Altezza lamps, coffee can mufflers and stickers pass me doing about 85-90 mph. So I'm feeling ready I drop the hammer and come up behind them at about 100 mph. I pull alongside (3 lanes of traffic here and not a cop in sight) and smile my cheesiest smile at them. The RSX starts to accelerate and the other two follow. Well I topped out my Pro at an indicated 116 mph. It took about 1.5 miles to get it up to that speed. So now, the Type R (yellow) really opens it up and leaves the other two Integras and myself like we were walking! I would guess he was going 135 or better! He slows down as he catches some traffic and we all bunch up again exiting onto 53 northbound. The Type R is still first, then me, the RSX, and then the white '92. The type R takes the ramp very aggressively and manages to slightly pull away, but I really put Trigger through his paces and with the S-03's squealing (a rare event) I managed to stay within 3-4 car lengths. The RSX dropped back and so did the '92.

Once we got onto 53 we all slowed down to the speed limit and exchanged thumbs up gestures and all three Integra proceeded to check out my Pro and one guy even came along side and said he couldn't belive that a Protege was so good!

Left me smiling the rest of the way home!

Regards,

Pete
  • Options
    Glad to hear from you again Pete. :)
  • Options
    you sure like a good challenge, taking on 3 Integras at once :-)

the darn muffler cost me $220 from my local dealer. You may be able to find better prices online, but you might have to wait longer for it to get it delivered. I was able to get mine in 3 business days, so it was extra $$ well spent for me :-)
  • Options
    rbrooks3rbrooks3 Member Posts: 174
    This past week, the local newspaper here, Newsday, ran an auto column. Nothing new, they run it a couple of times a week I believe. It's one of those write in with a question deals where the mechanic/columnist answers you. One caught my eye as a good reminder. This fellow wrote in stating he has a 1999 Honda CR-V with really low miles. He said the owner's manual stated normal oil change intervals of 7500 miles which he did. Then one day, the engine doesn't run. He has it towed to a dealer and they give him the bad news: there's no oil in the engine and "It's over Johnny". He complained to both the Honda dealership and directly to Honda who told him he was out of luck as the manual states that oil levels should be checked regularly. Now, obviously this guy has bigger problems of he didn't notice the car leaking or burning that much oil, but it's a good reminder to us to check it.

Here's the article, "DEAR DOCTOR: I own a 1999 Honda Passport with only 29,000 miles. I change the oil and filter according to the manual: every 7,500 miles or six months. The engine failed to run one day, so I had the SUV towed to the dealer. The serviceman checked it and found the engine was out of oil. Both the dealer and Honda denied the warranty because of "lack of maintenance." I produced all my receipts and was still denied a warranty repair. I plan a court case. Comment? -Dan

DEAR DAN: How did the engine run out of oil? I see at least 25 vehicles a week that are at least one quart low on oil. This is a consumer problem, not a car company defect. The long oil change interval is usually for vehicles driven in a warm climate on the highway and not in the city. Here is a lesson: Check the oil level every other week; change the oil and filter every three months or 3,000 miles with regular petroleum-based oil."
  • Options
    meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    Can't remember the last time I checked my oil. I just follow the manual and get it changed at the appropriate interval.

I guess I know I should, but unless I have some reason to suspect a problem, it's just something that never occurs to me. I guess I've been lucky since I haven't had an oil related problem in 16 years of driving.
  • Options
    In your preface to the story you say it's a CR-V, but then when you quote the article, you say Passport. Which is it??
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    Didn't the oil light work on that Passport? I'd imagine the light would come on WELL before the engine is out of oil. I believe that Passport holds 5.75 quarts of oil. The oil light would at least come on at 2 quarts low, WAY before engine failure. Weird.
  • Options
    It was a Passport. I typed the note and then went to Newsday.com to see if I could find the article. I did and posted it. Sorry for the confusion. I've probably committed internet-plagiarism as well now. Here's the link: http://www.newsday.com/news/columnists/ny-ssdoc2773866jul05.column?coll=ny%2Dnews%2Dcolumnists
  • Options
    I love my new Mazdaspeed muffler, but this excessive droning/resonance at 70mph is starting to get to me. Any idea on how to reduce/remove this resonance? and NO, getting rid of the muffler is NOT an option :D
  • Options
    Is the droning from the exhaust at 70 still a lower throaty tone? I'm close to getting one and you are the only person I've heard from who has one installed. I figure if it sounds nice and throaty and not buzzy while accelerating it is what I've been looking for. 70 should put the 5 speed somewhere between 3000-3500rpm. My commute is pretty much a 55-70 ritual, so I am concerned about the droning. If it's still throaty in sound, I probably would not mind much because the Pro is far and away the quietest car I have ever owned, both in exhaust sound and in general. Some exhaust sound at speed is probably the single thing I miss most from my last car.
  • Options
    I think the recommendation of using Dynamat or another manufacturer's equivalent under the trunk carpet and then maybe under the rear carpet would be best. If that didn't cut the sound enough I don't know how else you could do it and not be well beyond the cost benefit level. To spend a lot of money to quiet down the sound of the exhaust would probably mean getting rid of the exhaust - to me anyway. Besides, I know someone who'd buy a "barely used MazdaSpeed exhaust" ;)
  • Options
    Drop me an email...I can give you a link to another forum that has the sound of the exhaust in MP3 format.
  • Options
    the droning is loud at 70mph, which is right at 3000rpm in an automatic. It's not a buzzing sound, but rather a low bass HUMMMMMMMMMMMM that resonates throughout the cabin. Again this muffler is NOT for everyone.

I will look into getting some dynamat put into the trunk and see if that'll reduce the drone. If not I'll have to start keeping some tylenols in the car for the headaches I'm getting from the droning!!! :(
  • Options
    meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    ...but this excessive droning/resonance at 70mph....

Drive 71 instead!

LoL, gotta be a smartalec everywhere you go, might as well be me........
  • Options
    chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    and safer, too:

Drive 68 mph.

:)

--Dale
  • Options
    If it's the link that wa sposted for Protegeclub.com I heard it. It sounded like what I'd want. I was just concerned about the droning Big h mentioned. I'm used to my car "droning" so I don't think it will be an issue for me. Now, I need to speak to the wife about that early X-Mas present! Hey, my b-day is in October, so that's a good reason. I'm going to the USGP again this year and it's in September..I SHOULD get used to nice exhausts for that....I'm getting closer..now I need an excuse for August or June!
  • Options
    chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    does it do it only at 70mph/3000 rpm?
    what is the tolerance zone? +/- mph?

my regular exhaust/engine..i dunno which one, resonates exactly at 70mph at 3100RPM. But not too much...but gets to you if you drive more than 2 miles at that same speed.