Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• Options
    dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    Twins?! Congrats, and good luck. I have one, and that is plenty.

I can't say anything about that particular model, but we do have a rear facing infant seat (the only kind to use for a newborn), and it does suck up alot of room in back. It is installed behind the passenger's seat when in use, because putting it in the center or behind the driver's seat would require placing the driver's seat too close to the wheel for my long legs to fit. I'm 6' 1" tall. If I could chop some length off my legs, I could get it to work OK. I use a snap in car seat base so that I can remove the car seat quite easily to carry my little girl, switch between cars, etc. The base probably puts the infant seat a little further forward than without it.

That LATCH system seems pretty slick, though my infant seat is not so equipped. I plan on buying a LATCH forward facing when the time comes. It looks like it makes installation pretty dummy proof. It doesn't look to me like it should alter the rear seat fit as much as other design considerations, though.

Good luck.
  • Options
    bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    Greetings all. My Mom is considering a 2000 Protege LX, 36,000km, pw, pdl, air. I haven't seen the car but she says it's in good shape. It's on the lot at her local Mazda dealer. They're asking $14,750 (Canadian).

Two questions:
    1) Is this a reasonable price?
    2) Are there any known service issues with these cars?

Thanks!
    Brad
  • Options
    chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Nick: I tried to check that down-shifting thing for ya, but I honestly wasn't able to tell. Seems like I feel it much more when the car shifts up than vice versa. Sorry I wasn't able to help.

Paul: Checked the owner's manual. It mentions the mirrors folding in towards the doors, but not forward towards the hood. So I don't know what to say. I guess if I'm going to be parked amidst drunkenness again, though, it would be prudent of me to just fold them in myself.
  • Options
    jeffy729jeffy729 Member Posts: 45
    My 2002 (and a 1/2, actually) has Garnet Red paint. One of the things I noticed after washing it the second or third time was how much orange peel was in the paint. And this was on the trunk lid, not the lower body panels. I was a little disappointed. I don't remember my '99 having orange peel. It was a light color (Sand), but I still think it had a better paint job than the '02. But my current Protege still looks great and I get complements on the color all the time. As you said, nothing's perfect!
  • Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    way out west in Vancouver, there was another HUGE Protege meet. Over 60 cars at that meet!!!!

here's a video clip of the meet:

http://www.goonish.com/videos/vanclubmeet.wmv

• Options
    cahollancahollan Member Posts: 32
    I have found the driver plays a major role in who beats who in a redlight race...I have beat many Honda Civics and V/6 Mustangs with coffee-can exhausts in my Protege ES because the 16 year old driver next to me shortshifts, overpowers on takeoff (wheelspin but no motion, or bumps the rev limiter which kills the momentum.

Operator error makes up for the extra horsepower and shorter gearing.

BTW--speaking of gearing, look at the max speed per gear in the Car and Driver article...I'm going on memory (don't have the mag in front of me) but the quickest car to 60 in the comparison was the one that didn't need a 2nd to 3rd shift to hit 60...extra shifts = extra time
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Well, I just looked up the Canadian Black Book:
    Based on the kilometers entered
    and the options selected, your vehicle's classification
    is appraised as: Clean.

Depending on your vehicle's condition, the value may be appraised within the High and Low range. * less Reconditioning Costs

Low: $12,067.00 High: $13,167.00

That probably doesn't mean too much...Black book is only what a dealer would give you on a trade-in.
  • Options
    I've uploaded my FULL SIZE pics from MAPP IV here:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291301197

some of them should make great desktop wallpapers!

• Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Check Edmund's used car pricing feature. I think it's more representative than KBB.
  • Options
    Just my opinion.
  • Options
    Dale, sorry about your bum luck. Someone probably didn't like the looks of your side mirror and decided to kick it.

The mirror folds both ways. Found out it folds forwards by accident when brushing against it while trying to squeeze between my car and the support column in the middle of my garage (cheaper for the builder than to use REAL floor beams in the ceiling, I guess).
  • Options
    Well, it's just a mirror...I think I've recovered from the trauma ;). But thanks for the additional info.
  • Options
    boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    Paul,

Your Jetta should have Rock Guard along the bottom of each side of the passenger compartment if you want to see what it looks like. Mine did.
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    The paint is just as smooth there as on the rest of the car though. I raised up the trunk lid, and noticed (in that crease along the lid) that the paint there was not perfect, but I had to look pretty closely.

I will check my car more closely today when I get a chance to get outside from work.
  • Options
    I hear that the November issue of Car and Driver has a comparison of 10 cars under $16,000. The Elantra came in second. Guess who came in first?? :)
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    Corolla? Honestly, I don't see the 4 year old design of the Protege winning, but who knows?
  • Options
    Out with it!!!
  • Options
    Or maybe the Civic? Can you buy a VW for less than $16k?
  • Options
    Quit being a turd. You can't put something like that out and then take off for an hour. I can't wait until my C&D comes in the mail. I wanna know NOW!!
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    The website has nothing related to the November issue yet. Where'd you find out this information, Paul?

Meade
  • Options
    I actually heard it in another topic here on Edmunds, the Hyundai Elantra topic.

I was working, sorry for the delay. I thought you all would have figured it out by now.

And no, you can't buy a VW for $16K, Boggs. The next best car (to me) won. The Protege!
  • Options
    Also, I checked my car for the orange peel. Mine is Cool White, and I thought it would be easy to see. You can't stand next to it and see. I am dressed up a little, so I won't be getting down on the ground next to the car until sometime later this week to see a close up, and see if there is any orange peel or not.

Was there on your Jetta?
  • Options
    I should have known. The magazine is called Car and DRIVER afterall.....
  • Options
    The Protege/Protege 5 have won every C&D comparo that they were in.
  • Options
    chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    and checking out the 1st gear shift thing for me.

Meade, did u get a chance to check out the gear shifting while coming to a stop in ur auto pro5?
    does it shift into 1st gear when close to the 10mph mark or the 0mph mark?
  • Options
    And I should say thank you to you, as well.

I had to get one of my tires repaired over the weekend, and was calling around to tire places in case I needed a replacement. I remembered that it was a 15" Potenza RE92, but couldn't remember any of the other specs. And those guys at the tire places didn't appreciate my saying, "Um...I don't know...Protege-sized?"

Then I remembered the tire comparo chart you had posted elsewhere, and was able to get the size from that.
  • Options
    you could just read the sidewall of the Potenza...
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    It was Protege LX in fact. Pretty cool. They had some scathing comments about some top selling cars. Honda will not be happy.
  • Options
    I guess being a Protege fan is like being a Yankees fan. They've both been good for so long, you almost want the underdog (Civic, Corolla, Minnesota Twins, lol!) to win. Do you know if they tested automatics or manuals? I can't wait to show that test to my brother. He bought a brand new 2002 Civic after I tried talking him into the Protege. He didn't want to have the same car as me. I guess I wouldn't want the same car as my brother either. Good thing I got the Protege first!
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    but I've always been an Angels fan. I hope they take care of Yanks this week, but I am a realist too.
  • Options
    #16529 of 16531 or by the_big_h Oct 01, 2002 (01:43 pm)
    you could just read the sidewall of the Potenza...

Couldn't help myself....Hahahaahahaahahahahahahah!!!
  • Options
    I hope they take care of the Yanks too. Then all we have to do is beat the Angels... ;) It'd be nice to take out two California teams. Remember the underdogs in 87 and 91? There's a lot of deja vu going on in Twins country.
  • Options
    It isn't really orange-peel. It just sort of looks like extreme orange-peel, but it is definitely textured and not smooth. If your car is white, it may be hard to see. Try running your hand along the bottom of the card right below the door frame. I suppose VW could have deleted it since 2000 if it isn't there, but I always thought it was a nice feature, so I don't see why they would. It was definitely there on my 2000 Jetta.
  • Options
    Yeah, I figured somebody would say something about that, and I had a suspicion it would be one or the both of you two. :P

Reading the sidewall is fine, if the sidewall happens to be up in your apartment. I didn't feel like going downstairs.

I'm lazy, I admit it.

There...are you happy now????

:)

--Dale
  • Options
    ... Making a charcoal rubbing of your new sidewalls at your earliest convenience (hey, you DO teach children, so charcoal rubbings shouldn't be alien to you). Keep the rubbing beside your phone at all times.

Problem solved. Ain't I helpful?

Meadeball
  • Options
    I will run my hand along the car after I wash it. The road grime is pretty nasty on it right now. I just got a second job, and haven't had time to clean the car up in a week or so. But I will definitely try to take notice the next time I get the chance.
  • Options
    Extemely pleased, thanks. :)
  • Options
    ha....ha.....ha.....ha....
  • Options
    very good explanation Dale ;)
  • Options
    meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
  • Options
    chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    and do me the favor I asked for.
    u wanted to know the reason why I was asking you all and I gave you that reason. You now have to live up your end of the bargain.

Pleaseeee....

Dale, glad to know that the tire comparo posted >elsewhere< was helpful to you. My efforst have not gone in vain!
  • Options
    anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    Does anybody else agree that if you took the Protege's handling and braking, the Corolla's looks, the Civic's engines and transmission, and the Hyundai's price and warranty that you would have the perfect sedan?
  • Options
    I'd keep the Pros looks, along with the pro's suspension, brakes, and steering, and take the RSX-S engine and tranny (or civic type r if you'd like to stick with honda names).
  • Options
    bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    I never drove the RSX S or non-S, but personally I'm not very warm with any high rev Honda-type engine. It seems that anonymous also referred a dream combination of cars less than $16k. But let's assume that we can throw in one engine from a car at +$2k in price, I would take the 1.8T from VW any day (that will make someone visiting regularly here feels good.) But then one are extremely close to the territory of certain MazdaSpeed.

Bruno
  • Options
    If will make you feel better, the RSX-S engine is rumored to be headed our way in a Civic Type R or SI (less expensive than RSX-S), after the RSX gets a 220 hp Type R.

I've driven the 2.0 honda in its 160 hp and 200 hp forms, as well as the VW 1.8T (in Jetta and Audi A4, manual and auto). I'll take the honda any day of the week over VW's turbo. I also like honda's 5-speed and 6-speed trannies mated with the two versions of the 2.0 much better than VW's 5 speed (manual). Just my tastes.
  • Options
    jeffy729jeffy729 Member Posts: 45
    The only good about the Corolla is the sound insulation. It's a mite homely IMHO!
  • Options
    Meade's got a 5-spd (IIRC). I thought you were only interested in autos?
  • Options
    Chikoo ... please forgive me; I've been rather busy of late and have not read all the posts from over the weekend. Please re-state the reason for your survey; thanks.

And honestly I haven't been putting you off. I have not been in my wife's car in a few weeks now, because of my weekends being busy on my own (air show down in Norfolk two weekends ago; MAPP IV last weekend). I simply have not been in her car.

Mike: He's asking me because my wife has an automatic P5.

Meade
  • Options
    They still make mistakes from time to time!

http://www.auto.com/industry/iwirc2_20021002.htm

Meade

• Options
    I read about that ECHO recall as well, 2 weeks after my friend bought one. His is a 2000 though, and not affected, so that's good.