Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    That first comparo was quite a while ago. They tested different cars back then. Maybe the foot room was good back then, but the 2002 comparo isn't testing the same cars as the 2000 comparo. I don't see how they are contradicting themselves. What was good two years ago may not be good now. That's why they have to do new comparos every so often because cars don't stay the same. Maybe C&D said the brakes were good on a 69' Impala. Would they say the same thing now? You can write your letter to the editor and I'll bet the editor echos what I just said. Just something to think about.
  • Options
    ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    Good to see a lot of people appreciate the changed handling characteristics with slightly higher front tire pressure. I agree that you tend to feel a little less understeer, and sidewall roll/flex at this speed, when driving 'enthusiastically'.

Yesterday I went and changed the pressures to 34 Front and 33 rear. The ride and handling compromise seems ideal for my taste, at this setting. I'm going to watch my gas mileage for this tankful and report back as well, although I'm sure it'll be up, but only just.
  • Options
    sfratsfrat Member Posts: 208
    the point is nothing has changed on the protege, the dimensions are still identical. Even if it is smaller than some of the competition, that does not make it cramped. A Lincoln Town Car might have slightly more room than a Cadillac DeVille, but that doesn't make the DeVille cramped. The protege might not offer as much front legroom as the others now, but it still offers the same amount of legroom it did in 2000 when they said it wasn't cramped.

However, usually when they are doing these comparasions, they mean in relation to the other cars tested or the second place car. It's very misleading, though because it leads you to believe that the Protege somehow has changed (which it hasn't) or that its cramped in the front (again, which its not).

As for the backseat hardness issue, one mans firm is another mans hard. Different reviewers.
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Well, I can appreciate the differences in brakes between a '69 Impala and a car 33 years newer, lol. I really don't think there's been THAT much a technology change in under-seat foot room in TWO model years ...

Meade

P.S. to Steve -- Oh my dear Lord, did you have to go and bring up "personal preferences" again?! Here comes another "ride quality" debate -- I'm OUTTA HERE!!! :o
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Don't go; we haven't even touched on brakes this week.
  • Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    is how the competition has 'caught up', at least in rear seat foot space.

everything is relative, therefore what may seem to be ample foot room when compared with its 2000 counterparts may be barely adequate compared to its 2002/3 competitors.
  • Options
    Here is something funny for you all before you go to lunch. I called the dealer to find out what is involved in a 15k service. Was told that they change the oil and filter, rotate the tires, tighten all the nuts and bolts of the car. Ok, that sounds good, I said. How much? $325 was the reply. I was like, no thanks. Just change the oil and rotate the tires. I don't want any 15k mile service.

Steve
  • Options
    Dealers wonder why they lose business to the independent shops.
  • Options
    Exactly. The old Corolla was cramped in the back and probably made the Protege feel really big. The new Corolla's back seat is much bigger and as a result, the Protege's back seat doesn't seem so big anymore. Just be happy that despite these very minor nit picks from C&D and the aging platform, it still placed #1. Just goes to show how good the Protege really is.

GO TWINS!!!!

Hi Malt!
  • Options
  • Options
    krotinekrotine Member Posts: 93
    I didn't see a response to Dermen on his problem, so I guess I'll have to step in.

Dermen, you can go to an auto parts store (Pepboys, AutoZone,...) and tell them what you need. You might be able to locate it within their screws or fasteners section.

Hope this helps.

Krotine
  • Options
    Sorry, I got lazy and the vague request doesn't help.

Your profile says you own a ford. If it's a Mazda, let me know what year and trim and maybe I can get you a P/N.
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    For you guys that have switched out your tires...
    Just for reference, Stock 2001 LX 2.0 manual.

Does anybody know if a stock P195/55R15 will fit where the stock spare (donut) does?

My idea is this:
    Take a stock potenza, mount it on a rim and use that for a spare since I have the new tires.

Will this work?

Thanks!
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    It will not fit in the well. I had a flat on my DX once, and even that 14" tire wouldn't fit in the well, so I know a 15 probably won't.
  • Options
    I'm going to try and see if one of my 13 inch spares (!) can go into the trunk for use as a backup when needed. Actually, I doubt it would fit in the space in my trunk - but then YMMV, as I own a 95 (Gen 2)

Will keep you posted, though. I imagine Mazda hasn't bothered to change the trunk dimensions between Gen 2 and Gen 3/4, and I know that the 175/70-13 is only a tiny bit smaller than your 195/55-15.
  • Options
  • Options
    dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
  • Options
    The window switch lock-out button on my '02 ES locks out not only the passenger's switches, but also the driver's switches for all but the driver's window. It seems odd to me that it would lock-out any of the driver's switches.
  • Options
    dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
  • Options
    on mine (00 ES) it locks out ALL window switches....

I'll double check, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works on my car...

and yes, it's a feature!
  • Options
    bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    if it's a Microsoft product, they are the same by definition. ;-)
  • Options
    Feature. My 2001 ES did that as well.

In the VW, the front windows don't lock when you put the lockout on, only the rears. Too bad, because I like to open the window sometimes to torment a friend of mine, and he can roll it up now in this car. :(
  • Options
    A fellow non-MS-sympathizer (to put it mildly) like me :)

BTW, my car is bug free (at least as far as windows are concerned). But that might have something to do with the DX badge near my front wheels, and the crank handles in each door that control vertical motion of the windows. I do wish it had a remote trunk release, though!
  • Options
    are a great feature. They come in especially handy after I've eaten some beans and I have people in the car.
  • Options
    Remind me to not ever take a ride in your Pro...
  • Options
    I think.

BTW, Microsoft (the Evil Empire) is what I had in mind when I wrote the title.

Or was I thinking of Ford? Nah, they just come to mind whenever the words "car" and "problem" come together.
  • Options
    Go Angels!
  • Options
    dermendermen Member Posts: 31
    I updated my profile. I sold my ford more than 3 months ago and got a new protege es. Anyway thanks for the replies but I already got the part number a few days ago from another board. It is the fastner on the rear part of the door panel. There are 2 on the back doors and 1 on the front doors. I was told the part number is G350-68-AB1.
  • Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    I thought I'd take one of my stock wheel/tire combos (after I'd gotten my new alloys with the Dunlops) and put it in the spare tire well.

Well (pun not intended), it looks big enough (width and depth), but it seems they put in a number of brackets to raise the small temporary spare up to the trunk floor. These brackets prevent me from putting one of my full-size spares into the well. So much for that idea.
  • Options
    dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    So the circus wheel must stay...

Dinu
  • Options
    We can't win all of them. Just 4 of them.
  • Options
    chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    ZP4A-19-090R
  • Options
    Ashu: The DX doesn't have a trunk release? My 1999 did...

Newcar: Ugh, that is so nasty! But it's still hilarious!
  • Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    I was actually thinking of cutting those brackets out. My warranty has expired, so I guess non-mfr-recommended modifications are an option now. They're fairly thick (about 2-3mm), so it would take me a while with my existing set of tools. I don't think it would affect crashworthiness of the rear section.

I know the full-size tire will fit diameter-wise, as I dropped one in, but it didn't drop all the way down. Should've thought of that before I picked up the tire.

Not sure if they reduced the size of this well for the 00-01 to make room for a larger fuel tank.
  • Options
    A reman transmission
  • Options
    That's the correct part but there is only one of those on each door. The ones on the forward part of all the doors are different.
  • Options
    that's why he doesn't have a trunk release in his DX...
  • Options
    And the 2nd Gen DX are the only Proteges since 95 that lack remote trunk release as well as folding rear seats :(
  • Options
    Oh that's right, I forgot that the back seats didn't fold and the car lacked remote trunk as well. That really sucks for convenience. I am sure Best Buy would be glad to accommmodate you with a trunk release/keyless entry if you are so inclined.
  • Options
    chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Um...when you guys are talking about "remote trunk release", to what exactly are you referring?
  • Options
    the little lever on the floor by your driver's seat that opens the trunk. It's REMOTE from the trunk.
  • Options
    meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    I have of opening your trunk from Pa. while you are parked in Chi Town.

I think I'll do it right now, hope you don't have anything valuable in there!
  • Options
    chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Okay, I knew about that...I was just hoping I didn't have remote from the key fob all this time and didn't know it. Thanks.

Raymond: Anybody ever tell you you're a smart [non-permissible content removed]?

:)
  • Options
    You are too funny sometimes! :) You don't have remote on the key fob of your car, my 2001 didn't even have it. :( That's one feature I love having now though. Very convenient when you have 2 wild kids and a handful of bags from the grocery store. :)
  • Options
    good thing I don't have 2 wild kids.
  • Options
    :(

At least I have my winters on!
  • Options
    you can put the kids in the trunk and the grocery bags in the back seat, right? I'd say very convienent.
  • Options
    It sounds like he throws all of it (kids, bags, etc) in the trunk...talk about convenience.
  • Options
    Don't send any of that crap South. I don't have my winters on yet.
  • Options
    It's on the way....