Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    I like the look of the Audi A4 (last-gen more than current) and the quality of the interior trim. They also seem quite sturdy in fender benders (the one that caused a multi-vehicle rear-ending that dented my rear bumper...lucky me, last in line) seemed to suffer very little damage, given it totally crunched the Pontiac LeMans which was first in line.

Still, too many inconvenient bugs. I'd have to REALLY like a car to put up with that.
  • Options
    shriqueshrique Member Posts: 338
    repairing it right now as we speak/type. I don't really care too much about the loaner part, but the fact that he basically told me that i was lying to him really torqued me off. I've got a nice long letter that will be going off to the general manager and any other higher-ups that I can find email addresses for. (GRIN)
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    Apparantley, Morries sells more Proteges than any dealership in the Midwest, including Chicagoland. That's surprising...
  • Options
    Well the place is huge and all they sell is Mazdas. Their used car sales are huge as well. ON a side note the building they are in used to be a restaurant called the pearl diver. It had a thatched roof and everything. (GRIN)
  • Options
    is that Morries let me drive a used RX7 twin turbo. I would have paid money to drive it, but they let me drive it for free. ;)
  • Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    TT RX-7??? was it a FD or FC?????

btw used FDs are WAY overpriced as used cars. The price jump between the '92 (FC) and '93 (FD) is at least $5000 last time I checked!!!
  • Options
    It was a FD. I don't think they made FC twin turbos, at least here in the States. IIRC, it was a 94' and it had about 22,000 miles on it. They were asking $19K and this was years ago. Me and my buddy went there in his MR2 Turbo and fed the salesman a bunch of crap. My buddy told the salesman that his parents bought him the MR2 for his 16th birthday and that he was graduating high school and his parents were going to get him a different car as a graduation gift. The salesman's eyes lit up. We ended up driving a BMW 325, a Porsche 944 S2, and the RX7. The salesman wouldn't let me and my freind drive the RX7 alone, so he took my freind out in it and then came back and let me try it out. The roads behind Morries were made for the RX7. I was really easy on it until the salesman told me to let her rip. I'll bet he wished he never said that ;)

BTW, I was smiling for 3 days and was worried that any car I ever drive again will be a disapointment and this was when I had the 5.0L
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I heard on the radio today that there are $2000 rebates on Mazda Proteges now. I didn't catch if they were talking about 02s or 03s.
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    I drove one when they were new. Even with the "break-in" program on the engine I popped a lonng wheel going into third gear. I almost bought one but started reading about the thin metal and engine detonations. Changed my mind.
  • Options
    dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    We don't have the S-plan or $2000 incentives on import cars here (except Hyundai and Kia of course).

Very dissapointing (:

Dinu
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Disappointing even... :P

Sorry...had to do it since I have no idea where Dale has vanished.
  • Options
    dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    ;-)
  • Options
    No idea what you're talking about....
  • Options
    Has that snow melted? I saw some pictures of that snow you got last week (or the week before?). Ouch! Well at least we both have new tires now: no more cracked hubcaps.

Dinu
  • Options
    you guys wanted to see a Protege Police Cruiser right? well here you go!

• Options
    Where did you find it?

I've been looking in Google and didn't find anything. Can you post a link?

Dinu
  • Options
    anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    Guess they won't be going after Camaro Z28's or Vettes in that town. Well come to think of it they probably don't have Z28's or Vettes there. Oh well, nevermind.
  • Options
    ...until it wipes out in the first couple of tight curves.

The Vette would be another matter, especially if it came equipped with the whatever they call the active suspension system.
  • Options
    that Protege has a Motorola.....
  • Options
    chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Big, it seems to me the DC area gas stations would do better if they put up some kind of screens to hide drivers filling up. Less apt to be targeted. Or change their pumps to fill faster! Ever notice that when prices go up?

The Feds are questioning our "guests" in Cuba about sniper attacks. That's what I have thought all along, it's not a psycho.

I, too, keep looking at Audis and other German cars, but recall that German cars are built like American cars. If they are so good, why do they have so many problems? One would think that after 100-years of making cars they would get it right. Their engineering impresses me not.

Cars with fewer options, especially electrical gadgets, will be more reliable. Keep it simple - keep it longer. ;)

My reply to Edmunds quiz about most dangerous foods to eat while driving? Being a Southerner I would say - watermellon!

Next topic: Which cars do you rarely, if ever, see on used car lots?

fowler3
  • Options
    meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    What is the color of the sky in your world?
  • Options
    Well I went to go pick up my car after they did the body work and low and behold they screwed it up. The paint was the wrong color (mildly) and I could still see the groove and they had BUBBLES in the paint. What is this let the intern do the work day? So I told them to do it again. I really hope nobody get's spiteful and beasties my car.
  • Options
    I feel you pain. One of our friends' 99 Accord was "hurt" when an idiot backed out of his driveway REALLY fast w/out looking. He was T-boned by the Accord. It was repaired, but apparently it doesn't drive as it did when new. It occasionally pops out of gear (5spd) and has plenty of squeeks (sp?). They're returning it in a few mths as the lease ends. So much for people knowing how to fix cars properly... I think I'l suggest a nice 6, but I think their lease ends before the end of January when we'll get the 6 here.

Dinu
  • Options
    I forgot to mention the other day, that $2000 cash back is on 02 models only. Expires 12/2/02.
  • Options
    http://www.mazdadesign.net/

Pretty cool. It's all about the modded Mazdas.

Dinu

• Options
    A response to your Jetta board posting...

I like the Lancer, it's a nice ride. The driver's seat isn't as comfortable as the Protege's was, but the car itself it alot quieter. The handling doesn't compare to my DX, and they both (Lancer and my DX) had 14" tires on them of the SAME size. The Lancer's ride is better, of course, though. Power is about equal, but the Lancer's engine is smoother and more refined than the Protege's, if a little less powerful. Definitely notice it when merging or passing on the highway.

The rear seat is about the same size as the Protege's though. And trunk space is about equal too. The only thing is that the Lancer makes you pay for a folding back seat (in a $500 package), and the pass-through is minuscule at that.

Given the choice, I would pick the Protege just based on handling prowess and seat comfort.

Also, I wrote a "review" of the Lancer in that forum. Go check it and tell me what you think.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info!
  • Options
    Here's the thread I was talking about:

http://www.protegeclub.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13536

Here's a snip from a useful post:

The rear cup holders are not, I repeat not $130.00. They can be had for $59.00 CDN. at any dealership in Canada. That would mean $40.00 U.S. It is a 2003 part. Unfortunately it's only available in Canada in Black.

• Options
    After someone on this board mentioned the Car and Driver article and the 0-60 times, I decided to take a closer look. The Protege didn't have the greatest 0-60 time and the acceleration #s didn't reflect my own seat of the pants feeling. Then I noticed the fact that the Protege requires a shift to 3rd to hit 60 while the quicker cars in the test got to 60 in 2nd. That explains a lot and should put to rest the idea that the Protege is underpowered. There was also an article in sport compact car a while back that discussed the fact that many automakers gear their cars to get the best 0-60 times despite the fact that by doing this, they are not using the optimum gear ratios. Because of this, the Protege will most likely pull harder out of 2nd gear corners than comparable cars with taller 2nd gears.
  • Options
    My automatic ES would pull 60 in 2nd gear with my foot to the floor. I think it pulled 40-45mph in first when shifting at redline, but it's been awhile. The last 02 Protege I drove was a DX and did it in 2nd.
  • Options
    I think you'd be well into the redline if you stayed in 2nd at 60 mph (100km/h). Not sure though as I've never tried that.
  • Options
    I'm talking about 5sp cars. I could give a rip about automatics. Automatics are garbage.
  • Options
    In your opinion, maybe. It comes down to personal preference. But I wouldn't call them garbage. Also, I was just trying to help in your curiousities. You don't have to get smart about it.
  • Options
    Auto or 5spd is a personal preference. I prefer 5spd, but have to drive an auto since my mom also uses the car. I got the car I wanted, so I'm not complaining, although that $1000 for the auto tranny would have been better spent on a sunroof. The PRO, even in auto drives very well and after a soccer game when my legs are hurt (ankles, shins, knees), I definitely appreciate the comfort of an auto.

Dinu
  • Options
    I wasn't trying to be "smart", just stating my preference. If it seems that way to you, then I apologize. It's just that I despise automatics, especially in a cars like the Protege ES and Jetta 1.8T. If ultimate control, better performance, and an involving driving experience are important to you (they are to me, that's why I have a Protege), then automatics are indeed garbage. If comfort, convenience, and the ability to do other things while driving are important to you, then a manual transmission car is garbage. I completely understand why some people want/need an automatic transmission car but if I ever want or need an automatic, someone please shoot me.
  • Options
    As much as I too loathe the auto, I sprained an ankle playing hockey last year. I was barely able to drive home in my 5-spd....ALMOST made me wish I had an auto tranny.
  • Options
    sfratsfrat Member Posts: 208
    There are many times when I wish I had an auto.
  • Options
    I am with you. And I bet those times you wish you had an auto is when you are stuck in rush hour traffic on 495. I ride that stretch 5 days a week, so I know how you feel. There are some points where you can't get above 10mph for miles, but I don't have to tell you this.

Also, no one I know can drive stick for some reason. Well no one that I would trust enough to lend my car to. So if someone else would have to drive my car (even in the instance last night where I went out driving, but had too much to drink and let my friend drive back home), they wouldn't be able to.
  • Options
    flip through the Protege Gallery, there's a surprise there :-D
  • Options
    These two compressed discs in my neck have made me appreciate not having to move my right arm all the time while driving (yes, I'm now driving most of the time with only one hand on the wheel...watch out!).

Since I still want to exert some control (when I'm physically able, anyway), I'm considering an autostick in my next car, or keep my Pro with its AT around the next time I injure myself playing weekend warrior. ;)
  • Options
    That's strange. All of my freinds drive manuals. There are times I wish I had an auto, but not that often. I used to have to drive in morning and afternoon rush hour and that kinda stunk but the Protege's clutch requires almost no effort compared to some other cars I've owned and the fun that I have driving it more than makes up for the minor inconvenience in rush hour. I've driven manual tranny cars my whole life, so shifting is second nature and most of the time I don't even notice that I am actually shifting. Besides, I take the bus to work now so I don't have to deal with rush hour at all and I save miles, wear and tear, gas, freeway space, and the environment. I currently have 22K miles on my car and I bought it at the same time you bought your 2001 Protege. The only thing wearing out so far are the tires, and you can blame that on clover leafs and sweepers....
  • Options
    townhall9townhall9 Member Posts: 78
    that goes bonkers when someone turns an intersection corner so slow - that you would think they are driving a model T? Especially when they are driving a good handling car (in this case - a Celica GT).
  • Options
    sfratsfrat Member Posts: 208
    The traffic in the DC area is awful, any traffic anywhere is bad, and that's where its the worst. Driving in regular traffic, I too, shift automatically, and don't have a problem. However, its real hard to forget your shifting in traffic. The worst was this past weekend, I drove up to Boston and it took me 3 hours to go like 40 miles between the New York State Line and New Haven, Conn. It was awful. I really wished I had an auto then. But then again, I really enjoy driving stick and having the extra bit of control.
  • Options
    If I still had my Protege, it would have like 50K miles on it now...

I traded with 20K on it, I put about 5K on loaners (I drove one of them 4000 miles in a month, including a trip to Chicago and back!), and my car has 24.3K on it now. So about 50K is right.

I wish I could take public transportation to work. It would cost me like $7 a day, between taking a bus from home to the train station, then the MARC train ($6 itself!), then another bus to the office. Then it would take me like 3 hours of travel time, and I would not be able to stop on the way from work and run errands (I work 35 miles from home). So I drive. I just hate putting all that mileage on my car. Oh well. :(
  • Options
    4.50 a day to ride the bus. That's much better than $225 a month for parking in my building. I spend a little over an hour a day commuting and I live about 15 miles from downtown. Not bad and definately better than sitting in traffic because the bus has it's own lane and doesn't have to deal with traffic.
  • Options
    chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    driving to the city with no traffic?
    (there is a backroute to my office via the airport that runs ||el to the I-95 )

and my company has its own parking lot!!
  • Options
    Especially when they are driving a car I consider to have good handling characteristics (c'mon, what are they driving them for?).

I do have more patience with minivans (but not SUVs...the class of vehicle just bothers me in general for its general wastefulness and hoggishness, especially for most of their owners, who don't actually have a "need" to tow or haul stuff), since I know they are tippy in general.

Still, I don't want anybody to wipe out because they exceeded their car's capabilities or their own skills, so I generally back off so I can whip through the corner at a fun speed.

Side note: I've been driving more gently recently due to my compressed disks and my (mostly local) mileage has improved by about 2mpg to about 30mpg. Nice, but I know that won't last long after I get back to normal. :)
  • Options
    Man, that sucks! That's one reason I like not working in Washington, DC. You pay a good $10-15 a day to park around there. We have our own free lot here as well, so I don't have to pay for parking.

And you say you pay daily? Couldn't you get a monthly pass and save money? :)
  • Options
    You can get a monthly pass, but it's only a better deal if you ride the bus 7 days a week. They sell $10, $15, and $20 passes and I usually buy the $20 pass. I take the express bus so it's 2.25 each way. Local buses are $1.50 each way I believe. If I worked in the suburbs, I would have free parking but nobody gets free parking in downtown unless their job is really, really important. $225 isn't even the highest I've seen for monthly parking; there are some places that are $290. I actually prefer working in downtown as opposed to the suburbs despite the parking issues. I like being in a skyscraper and being able to look out over the whole city, watch the locks and dams on the Mississippi, and see the jumbo jets fly out of MSP intl'.