Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• Options
    alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    Thanks for link big h. Anyone know what country this is in? Pretty amusing.
  • Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    I figured through the chinese writings and the right hand drive configuration. Not many places where those 2 combine...

most likely it's on a small island off of the main island of Hong Kong, or something like that ;-)

you don't need to go any faster than a Protege if there's no place to run! :=D
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Please read the following article. I'm not really all that concerned about the overseas truck market, but there's a certain sentence in this article that strikes fear in my heart concerning my Protege and where it was made. Can you find the sentence?

http://www.auto.com/industry/iwirf22_20021022.htm

Meade

P.S. Nice to see you all missed my 5-day absence so much ...

• Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Or is there another plant dedicated to trucks & vans there?
  • Options
    dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    It sounds as this could be the same PRO plant, but since they don't mention it, maybe it isn't?

That plant has made great PROs over the years (if that is on fact the case). How can they close it?

James: Just thinking that I have to work for the next 40+ yrs makes me tired :)

Meade: We did miss you...silently :)

Dinu
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
  • Options
    boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    No wonder it was so boring around here!
  • Options
    ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    Trust Meade to make a comeback with either something PIC or misleading to report :)

They're closing the 'truck and van' plant in Hiroshima, not the 'car and other non-truck stuff' plant in Hofu (a Western suburb, the one they plan to expand!). Last time I checked, the Protege was a car.
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Ever wondered where the name B-Series came from? They knew early on that the name wouldn't work.
  • Options
    What? They were going to name the B-series Bongo? That would have been great. The Bongo 4000 4x4, Brawny edition. They would have outsold Rangers with the name alone. Then you could say: "Dude, lets go fire up the Bongo and take it for a spin" or "I have to load up my Bongo with grass clippings" or "Man, somethings wrong with my Bongo, it smokes too much"
  • Options
    chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    the Protege is made in the Hofu Plant, which is not 40 years old. It is a very new plant, designed for the AMATI luxury sedans. No wonder the Pro is built so good.
  • Options
    townhall9townhall9 Member Posts: 78
    Because it's engineers & assemblers care about the quality of their work.
  • Options
    At least, it's not rewarded by corporate management in most cases.

They reward quick work, even if they're rife with errors that create havoc and/or rework.

At least consumers are keyed into quality, so it works back into the system eventually.
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    James: Just thinking that I have to work for the next 40+ yrs makes me tired :)

Here's the secret -- take it one day at a time -- much easier. ;)

It's amazing how quickly time passes! Really!!

I thought four years in the Air Force was forever, but in no time at all it was gone. One job, then a second job, and a third -- before you know it 15 years have passed and you are still not doing what you wanted to. That takes another 15 years. Life is many beginnings, many starting overs. You never get it exactly right. So enjoy it as you go along, don't take it too seriously, and it will be good to you. Remember, 90% of everything is bull.

fowler3
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    There is never time to do it right, always time to do it over.

fowler3
  • Options
    glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    Does anyone have opinions on Kumho Tires? I was looking at a set to replace the RE92's on my 00 ES?
    I was looking at the Kumho Supra 712.

Any suggestions on other tires? I don't want to go outside the 195/55/15 if possible. I know quite a few people have gone with 205's.

Opinions?

TIA,
    Mark.
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Alot of people go to the 205 size without problems, because the 195 size seems a little hard to find in some brands. Kumho tires are pretty good from what I hear. I plan to get those when my tires on the VW need replacing. They are 17s, and pretty expensive anyway.
  • Options
    Supposedly excellent summer-oriented 3-season tires. Handle rain very well, decent tread-life (around 30K+ miles, depending on how they're driven). Said to get noisy as the miles start catching up on them, though. But excellent dry weather grip pretty much through the life of the tires.

I nearly bought them, but ended up going with the Falken Ziex ZE-512 in 195/50-15 (they're available in your size too, IIRC). Better compromise for me (decent all-seasons, so the light occassional snow in the DC Metro area shouldn't be a problem), AMAZING rain and wet grip, excellent dry grip (although I'm told not as good as the Kumhos) and a wee bit cheaper. And a 30K treadwear warranty. I recommend you consider these as well, depending on your needs.
  • Options
    the 215 way w/o any problems.
    205 appears to be the best way to go as fas as selection<->price<->performance is concerned.
  • Options
    Was going to get a winter set last year of Kumho winter tires, but I thought I could make it on the Poortenzas. Problem is I made it straight into a corner: had to replace the rim and re-allign the wheels.

Over the summmer I researched my tires, looking for:

Thread life
    Snow traction
    Dry traction
    Road feel - MUST exist

I bought 4 Yoko Avid Touring in 195/60/R15. A little more sidewall, a tad smoother, a little quieter, and great thread life.

So far, I can say that dry traction is still superb. Wet traction (rain) has been tested and I find it much more difficult to spin the tires from a stop, but stopping still has to be approached carefully as with the Poortenzas. The thread paterns favours dry and snow IMO, not rain. For rain, I would have gone with a summer-only tire with wide grooves running sideways from the inside of the tire.

I live in Toronto and have to take snow in consideration. For the price I paid ($96/each CDN) I think I got a great deal. The X-Ones were $160+/tire and I could not stretch myself too much.

I'm not thrilled with these tires b/c I still have to be very carefull in rain (no ABS on the PRO), but you have to be careful in rain anyway... Overall, I just might buy them again.

Score: 7.5/10

No tire can have dry, wet, snow traction and a long thread life like I wanted, so I got the best mix of those.

Dinu
  • Options
    It is confirmed. After searching for a few weeks, I have made my final decision for the next car.

The 01 PRO stays as the franchise - driven by mom as it's automatic

A 5spd 99 or 00 PRO ES (with sunroof, alloys and spoiler) will park next to it.

Time of Purchase: Late November/early December 2003.

Estimated cost: $8000-10.000 CDN.

It was b/w the 99/00 PROs and 97/98 Civics. As always, you pay a premium for Civics or you get an older car... NO!

So I will ask those of you that have 99 and 00 PROs how you still like them 1 yr from now.

Cheers!
    Dinu
  • Options
    I wanted to get 205s for my 01 ES, but someone mentioned that both Mazda and Tirerack recommended against it. Any clue as to why they don't recommend going wider than 195?
  • Options
    chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Okay, I'll start keeping my diary now, so that when you ask me in a year, I'll be able to remember all the wonderful things my car has done since I purchased it.

First steps, first baby tooth, first words, etc. etc.

:)

--Dale
  • Options
    I had a 99 Pro DX as well (I am sure everyone remembers). That car was the least troublesome out of the 6 I have owned (3 of them being new, including that one).
  • Options
    Could it be because Mazda uses very skinny stock wheels? The 15's on the 99-00 ES (and LX upgrade alloys) are 6 inches wide, instead of the more common 6.5 inches. Same case with the 16 inch alloys available on the P5 and 01 and newer ES.

This means that 205 (mm) width tires will bulge slightly more. However, this is still usually within specs, but DOES lead to increased sidewall squirminess, which translates to a softer ride (better absorption of shocks and road imperfections) an a corresponding decrease in road feel and handling. Since the overall character of the car is modified (only barely, I agree!), neither Mazda nor tirerack can officially endorse these different sizes. But I do know that a lot of people do this kind of an upgrade, or increase the profile (195/60) and observe no adverse effects.
  • Options
    Is that the reason, or is it because they are affraid that the bead won't hold? If it's the latter, I'm stickin with 195s.
  • Options
    The steering wheel was initially misaligned, but that was taken care of quickly.

The AT can shift hard if I step on the accelerator just as it shifts from 2nd to 1st whilst coming to a stop. I learned to avoid doing this.

Other than that, it's been regular maintenance, and been loads of fun to drive (especially after I upgraded the tires and later added the strut tower brace). It's a good highway hauler too. I've driven 5-15 hour trips in it, and not been fatigued. Even with the 1.6L, it's decent (but hey, I upgraded from an older 1.6L with only 81hp and 92lbft of torque), except when I run the AC.

I notice some signs of rust on under-body suspension parts. The airbag cover on the steering wheel is now a different shade of grey than the rest of the dash. No rattles from the chassis though.
  • Options
    The bead will definitely hold. If you look at specs for the tire, it will list the range of rim widths on which the tire can be installed. My Falken Ziex'es could be installed on all rim widths from 5.5 to 7.5, IIRC. So the 6.0 rim width would be just fine for this, as well as other tires (including the Kumho Ecsta Supra 712, Dunlop SP Sport 5000, many Bridgestones etc). But before you take the plunge, verify this approved range on the tire manufacturer's website.

Like I said, the only thing that will change is the tradeoff point between comfort/ride and handling, and of course the very slight speedometer discrepancy (upto 2-3% is usually no problem at all, but Mazda and Tirerack can't approve it, under law! Just like they can't approve a downgrade in speed rating with a tire upgrade - eg from the Z-rated Dunlops!). You can check the exact discrepancy at the tire calculator through the 'garage' link at http://www.miata.net

• Options
    Dale: Good thing you're gonna start keeping a diary of your baby. Will you admit to taking it to the carwash that fateful day? You know, not all biographies are written equally...

MazdaFun: Thanks for the update! It's still 1 yr away. Let me know if anything arises. I will take the PRO over a Civic (very very likely).

The rest of you: Get your pencils sharpened and your notebooks ready. I am expecting reports of your life with 99/00 PROs in one year on my desk by 9AM on Nov 1 2003. Don't be late. You'll lose 10% of your mark/day.

Dinu
  • Options
    The reason why I wanted 205s is because I already have winter tires and I wanted better summer tires. They don't make many 195/50/VR16 tires, it's kind of a strange size. They make a ton of 205/50/VR-ZR/16s. The original 195s look kinda skinny too and I think a little bit wider tire would give the Protege a more aggresive stance. The speedometer change wouldn't be anywhere near 2-3%. The 205s would be at the most a couple millimeters taller. I don't think the speedometer is even accurate enough to pick that up. The stock Dunlops on the ES/P5s are V-rated BTW.
  • Options
    http://www.specialstage.com/multimedia/view_jpg.asp?path=ww02_lorne/WW_02_Lurch_173.JPG

Ok you all might be getting tired of these pics, but it is on topic, rite?

Dinu

• Options
    http://gallery.jpmullan.com/2001OjibweJesseMullan/2001_8_20_090

Ok, I'm a rally freak, I admit it.

Dinu

• Options
    Go HABS Go!

Hockey is where it's at for other PRO fans.

If I say PRO, is that on topic? Ehh.. ok maybe not

Dinu
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I think the rally monkey is hysterical!!

But the rules of picture posting still apply -- you can only use the img src tags to display pictures you OWN.

Otherwise, we'd be very pleased to have links (assuming the host site does mind) posted to relevant photos.

(Yah, I had to remove a VERY funny photo due to the copyright issues -- I hope the poster will repost with the link!)

Thanks!
  • Options
    If you made your way around the site, I think you'd get the impression that they wouldn't mind. Nevertheless, I understand.

Anyway, here's the Rally Monkey before last nights game: This should last 4 innings.

And of course he shouldn't have been driving his Protege after that celebration: Bad Rally Monkey

10-4 Woo hoo! Go Angels!

• Options
  • Options
    I made a reference to the car.
  • Options
    >>So I will ask those of you that have 99 and 00 PROs how you still like them 1 yr from now<<<

3.5 years and still enjoying it.
    Not a single rattle inspite of such a firm suspension.
    (yeah, I had my share of Autotranny problems, but I am happy now)
    Go Protege!!

Go Angels!!! (they really did go Maltb....)
  • Options
    the only reason why 205 is not recommended is that u would not be able to put on snow chains 'cause there is very less gap between the strut and the tire...not sufficient to accomodate a snow chain.

Other than that, I have had no problem with my 205.
    Air leakage is minimal. maybe 1 pound in 3 months.
    Actually with the weather changing so much, it is diffcult to track pressure changes, but it has never fallen below 28psi. (i keep 30psi normal)
  • Options
    '00 ES 5-speed purchased on May 24, 2000. 29 months, 45,000 miles, and doing fine. Just wishing the Governor would relax our water restrictions so I could wash my baby! (And they're saying these restrictions will be in effect until NEXT JUNE!!!!!!!)

Meade
  • Options
    Until June? My car would disentegrate if I don't wash it when salt season comes around (aka: winter). I see we're running on a similar mileage per year. You avg 30.000kms, I do about 35.000kms. Good to hear it's humming along like new. Hey are you selling yours to get a 6? I wonder if I could buy a PRO from the US and bring it here. wonder if it would be worth it after the exchange rate, duty fees and taxes. Probably not.

Dinu
  • Options
    The car would end up costing you more than it would be worth due to the exchange rate and taxes, etc.
  • Options
    Trust me on that one! Its green!!!
  • Options
    What's your point Ashu? J/k

Are we giving Meade a hard time b/c his is green. The Protege people, the Protege!

Dinu
  • Options
    ... in addition to all the other abuse he heaps upon it, over and above all that, its GREEN! ;)
  • Options
    Dinu
  • Options
    dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    not green. Try to keep it straight. ;-)
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
  • Options
    I have a "Sunlight Silver Metallic" Protege. I can see the silver and metallic part of it, buy sunlight? What were they thinking naming it this way? It's like saying you have a silver-gold-metallic car. Huh?

Dinu
  • Options
    do I "heap" upon my car, Ashu?

At least I didn't have to buy a bra to cover my damaged bumper cover ...

Yes, people, Emerald Mica. The only TRUE Protege color.

And it ain't THAT dirty -- I've been taking it to the buck-a-minute, hand-wand, oops-I-sprayed-"foamy-engine-brite"-on-my-car car wash!!!

YECCCHHHHH!!!

Meade