Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    That's why they push SUVs so much. Put a roof and some seats in the bed and you get about $10k more for a truck.
  • Options
    dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    I was backing up today and realized my left side rear brake light is out. I'll get that replaced soon when I do the oil change. And no I don't drive an "unsafe" car now: I still have 3 other rear brake lights working > right brake, high-mounted stop light and spoiler light :)

Dinu
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Never thought about it like that.

I commute 80 miles daily, and am feeling the gas price crunch in my Jetta, let alone an SUV. There is one person who commutes further than I do, and she just bought a Honda Pilot the other day! What's wrong with these people?? She's having a baby soon, and claims she needed room for the baby that her 99 Civic Si didn't have. I wonder how big that baby's gonna be?? :)

It cracks me up when people with 1 or 2 kids need all this room in an SUV or minivan. I know kids "come" with alot of stuff, but just how much room does one need??
  • Options
    They're really easy to change. Takes like 5 mins. to do the job, and is cheaper than the dealer's prices too.
  • Options
    Well I expect them to do it free of charge (especially after the December fluid chages and brake job). They'll also get to do the TSB and an oil change, so it's not like they won't get paid at all. They replaced my spoiler's lights free of charge and I have a bumper to bumper warranty so I'll see if that covers lights too.

And since I change the oil at 4000kms (2500 miles), this could be done as early as tomorow morning.

Dinu
  • Options
    In the manual it says: 8.000kms

Since I drive a lot (30.000kms or 18.000miles per yr), and in c-c-c-c-cold weather at times, and at high speeds on the highway for 60%+ of the time, I guess I fall on the "severe" schedule.

Now I know 4000kms might be overkill, but by 5000kms the oil will get dirty. If you see dirty oil, it already caused some damage, albeit minor perhaps.

Considering this, what do you think I should go with: 2500 miles, 3000 miles or something else?

Dinu
  • Options
    I might not be the one to ask, as I change the oil at 5K miles because that's what the owner's manual calls for. I used to do 7500 in the Protege, because that's what the normal schedule called for. Although the first one was at 2900 miles.
  • Options
    boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    Driving primarily on the highway does not fall under the "severe" maintenance schedule, although the extreme cold temperatures might. I would say 5000 km if you use dino oil, 8000 km if you use synthetic.
  • Options
    wongpreswongpres Member Posts: 422
    The pics of Mazda's stand on today's Auto Show section are pics from last year. The only Mazda pics in the paper from this year are the close-up of the Secret Hideout and Runabout (aka Mazda2).

If you really want to see how the Mazda exhibit looks like for this year, goto Mazda.ca, they uploaded a very nice Flash presentation of the 2003 Mazda stand.

BTW, here's my theory, if there are 9 concepts in Toronto, what is Mazda going to show in Geneva (which comes directly after Toronto)? Maybe a prototype Mazda3?
  • Options
    Thanx! I was nevertheless impressed by the many Mazda pics.

Guess the 3 will début at Geneva then :)

Dinu
  • Options
    drumm01drumm01 Member Posts: 97
    Thank you for the info mdaffron, I will check it out right now!!
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    I'm a freak. The longest I've gone was a little over 4000 miles on Mobil 1 5W30. I do a lot of short trips and that is hard on oil. It might be overkill, but it costs me about $24 for 4 quarts of Mobil 1 and a Mazda oil filter. Can't beat that, even if I have to do it myself. Some places will charge more than $24 for a dino oil change.
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    NJ! Gas prices here are now $1.649 a gallon. Hard to find them cheaper, all brands are going up, up and away. With a barrel of oil at $35 they may be anticipating the increases and the shortage if war starts. Before prices get too high the Government will step in and put a ceiling on them.

The real PINCH came during the Oil Embargo of 1974-75 when gas prices jumped from 36-cents a gallon to $1.00 a gallon. That was when few car companies had small cars for sale, with the exception of Honda dealers. They got rich fast! It wasn't unusual to have to wait 6 to 8 months for a new Accord hatchback. Any car, new or used, that had 4-cylinders sold at premium prices.

Long lines at gas pumps stretching for miles. Service stations limited the amount you could buy. Many people topped off their tanks, not letting them get below 3/4ths full. The fuel went from tank farm storage to rolling storage in cars.

It can happen again -- for SUV owners. Very happy I don't drive one of those. My cousin was complaining about filling up her Ford fullsize conversion van, which has a V8. Her husband bought it thinking they are safer with ladder frames. It gets 13mpg! Way too big for two people to go to the supermarket.

fowler3
  • Options
    browntroutbrowntrout Member Posts: 24
    Gas prices hit 88.9 cents/litre here this week. That's about $2.3 a gallon after the conversions.
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    No prob!

Meade
  • Options
    I had my oil changed at a quickie place (not JL) and it was $25.68 the last time. Dealer charges $35 for a dyno change, more like $60 for a syn change! I wish I had the space to do the oil changes myself, I would.

I went over 5K before changing last time (which is the reason I went to the quickie place), and I got a little paranoid too. I drive 7/8 highway though, so my oil lasts a little longer.
  • Options
    It makes me wonder what people are thinking when the buy SUVs. I was just posting the other day about people who run out and buy an SUV or minivan when they have one kid, sometimes two. It's crazy! How much space does one kid need? Can he/she not find it in a small sedan??

Gas here is running 1.75 for 89 octane, which is what I am suppose to use. Any higher, and I am knockin' down to 87. I am really feeling it though, since I commute about 80 miles daily. Time for a hybrid or diesel, I suppose.
  • Options
    carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    I would only buy an SUV or Mini-Van if I had 3 kids or more. 2 kids you can buy an Altima or an Accord or something like that.
  • Options
    I agree with you. No minivan for just one child.

My one co-worker just sold her 1999 Civic Si and got a Honda Pilot. Her reason? "We will need the space when I have the baby." How big is this baby gonna be?? :)

2 of my other co-workers got Odysseys when they had their second child. I guess I just don't see the point.

I have a Jetta now, in which I carry my best friend's 2 toddlers pretty often, complete with car seats. I could see them outgrowing my back seat at some point, but not until they are 10 or so (7-8 yrs. from now). Of course, I also don't carry them all the time either. But still...
  • Options
    boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    "Any higher, and I am knockin' down to 87."

I own a Jeep Cherokee. I get decent fuel economy considering the engine design is 30 years old (18/24). Unfortunately, I have had to use the frozen weather capability of this vehicle on numerous occasions. In a couple of instances, an AWD Protege couldn't have gotten through. As it was, with 24" of snow, my differentials were dragging. I will probably always own one of these, unless I move farther south. That said, my next one may be a gas/electric hybrid. We'll see what is available in 5 years.
  • Options
    Yeah, that was a pun. No knocking issues on 87 fuel. It does lower fuel economy though, so it might break even to stay with 89.

I agree with you about having a 4WD vehicle. I am also to the point of considering snow tires for my car, and I never even thought about getting those ever! We are close to record snowfalls in MD, and I am totally tired of it now!
  • Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    when was the last time the washington region had 2 STRAIGHT DAYS of snowfall??? Because this weekend will be nothing but snow/ice/sleet here!!!!
  • Options
    manavimanavi Member Posts: 150
    I filled up yesterday with 87 octane for $1.42 at Sams Club.

Can anyone beat that?
  • Options
    A little snow is not like the ice age is making a comeback, so clear your car of the snow, leave some space in front of you and downshift when coming to a stop with a look in your mirror to see if the guy behind you can.

As for trucks/MVs, I'm with Paul on this one: just how much space is needed for a kid? Of course people buy trucks b/c of more "safety".

As far as gas prices go, someone that can afford an expensive truck (say a Navigator), can also afford $50 more at each fill-up.

Now PRO-related, I will have to change the bulb myself (today) as warranty does not cover those.

Dinu
  • Options
    meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    Have a kid and find out. My P5 is great for day to day, but I wouldn't want to go on vacation in it. A stroller, maybe a wagon, we have a backpack I carry him in, then our luggage, it gets pretty crowded. It can be done, but why suffer when you don't have to.

I'm sure we don't "need" anything more than a 2 room house, but we all have as big as we can afford since it's nice to have the space.

So it really isn't need, it's ease of use, comfort, all that stuff.
  • Options
    Never thought of it that way. I know my trunk was full in the VW when just my dad and I vacationed this past 4th of July, I can just imagine how much more cargo a child would add. :)

Also, shopping trips with my friend get a little tight sometimes too. If she goes on a "shopping binge", I almost have to stand on the my trunklid to get it closed. :)
  • Options
    As far as the snow, you come down here and drive on the Capital Beltway in the snow and ice. Usual travel time for me is 40min., and it would easily increase to 3 HOURS in traffic of this nature. All people in MD seem to know how to do is slam the gas pedal down in the car and go. And the SUV people make things worse, because they think they're Wonodergod or something.

I prefer to stay off the roads in the snow, at least until the plows hit and clean stuff up.
  • Options
    When we go on trips we usually take the Protege (sedan) instead of the Protege5. The Protege has more cargo room -- about a half-foot more length to the trunk. I've tried this before several long trips, and the sedan always comes out the winner.

(Because of the rake of the rear window, the space above the P5's removable parcel shelf is really negligible. And with Sean's car seat in the back seat, we can't take advantage of folding both rear seats down.)

Meade
  • Options
    "Wonodergod?"

Meade
  • Options
    And toodles to anyone who says this isn't an on-topic post!!!

Meade
  • Options
    Sorry, I know this was an off-topic post.

:D

Meade
  • Options
    chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    so that we can RENT a big car when we go on vacation.
    Sorry dude. the argument fails to justify the need for a larger vehicle just because you go on a vacation, away from your home, carryiing all your belongings with you, just for 2 days.
  • Options
  • Options
    Why should I have to always drive 2 cars when I go out with my friends and their kid? It's a lot more fun to go in one car. Or when me and my buddies go to a football game. Who wants to go in separate cars and pay double for parking?

Having the ablilty to haul 6 or 7 people is a great big advantage to many people.

I've got more, if you need them.
  • Options
    that pdf file says there were Zoom Zoom spots made using an RX-7??? I've never seen those! where can I find those???
  • Options
    a greyhound bus that is.
  • Options
    We're looking at buses this summer for next football season!!!!!!!
  • Options
    I meant "wondergod". Just a reference to those in SUVs who think they can go 60mph on a snowy/icy road because they have 4WD. Usually, they end up sliding backward into a ditch off the side of the road, then wonder why.
  • Options
    Ray makes good points. Some people carry passengers frequently (carpools, kids, friends, etc.) and need a larger car. Also, why rent a car to go on a trip and pay more on top of the carnote you pay each month? That makes no sense. If you take trips alot, it would be cheaper to just get a van/SUV and call it a day.
  • Options
    to save wear and tear on YOUR OWN CAR?

I know I've been doing that whenever I have a planned road trip that requires very long drives
  • Options
    I agree with you but I do not agree with the lady(??) who says that she needs a larger vehicle because they have a kid.

Simply having a kid does not necessitate the need for a larger vehicle(the mazda protege does a great job). But Yes. if you are REGULARLY hauling friends (and now you have to make up your mind which friend is going to buy the larger vehicle, because obviously if everyone buys a larger vehicle, you need a party of 50 all the time), and going on vacations every month for 3 days or more.

Most of the people I know take an extended vacation only twice in a year. They have kids and a normal car suffices for routine weekend breaks.
    Unless of course you intend to go camping and you also NEED to take your 32" TV along with you.
  • Options
    you are charting unknown territory.

better if the vehicle which is going to take a beating from the potholes be a rental than your own.
  • Options
    I guess I didn't jump in from the start when it was really being discussed as a "need" issue. Of course you don't need a larger car for 1 kid. The Pro does do fine.

But it's America and when did we ever base anything on need? If that was the case, we'd just eat rice and beans, drink water, sleep on the floor, and the beat goes on and on.....
  • Options
    I have taken my VW on two road trips since I got it: Wilkes Barre, PA and Asheville, NC. I would personally rather take my own car, because I feel more comfortable driving it than a rental.

My dad tried to get me to rent a car to go to NC, because he likes to smoke in the car on a long trip and I won't let him in mine. We ended up taking my car though, simply because I couldn't see paying $200 for a rental car for 2 days (they charge an underage fee to me, since I am 24) just to be able to smoke in the car.

I also had a loaner VW Beetle that I drove to Chicago. You talk about light packing! :) I went with a friend, and he ended up having to put his luggage in the back seat.
  • Options
    I don't know personally what the girl was thinking when she got the Pilot, but oh well. I kinda wonder though, because she commutes about 45 miles one way daily. Her Civic, I am sure, got way better mileage that the Pilot will.
  • Options
    http://www.allpar.com/cars/concepts/photos/tomahawk2.jpg

This is freaking Viper V10 engine with wheels attached back and front. My goodness gracious...
  • Options
    nematodenematode Member Posts: 448
    BUT are you sure it has enough power? I bet its only making about 500hp. Really what it needs a sequetial twin-turbo set up so that you could have around 700-800hp. With only 500hp on tap its not really that interesting. I mean why bother if you cant even reach a top speed of at least 400mph? I bet the current version could barely break 350mph:).
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    Exactly. An 8.0L V10 with 500 hp is not that impressive. If Honda made that motorcycle, it would have at least 1000 hp and way better ergonomics, not to mention better resale.