Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    I had a scooter once, it was an Italian Vespa at the 1954 International Motor Show in Germany, the Show Model painted Candie Apple Red metallic with chrome handlebars and sissy handle and tan leather seats. It had a spare tire on the back with a wheel cover that was also an extra 3/4 Ltr fuel reserve. It got 75mpg. The dealer didn't want to sell it saying it was being shown around Germany at all the Vespa dealers. I asked to buy it when it finished the tour. All other Vespas were painted light green. Yuck!

After riding it in two German winters and getting flu three times in blizzards, I sold it and bought a used English 1951 Morris Minor, 4-speed, 4-cylinder. The Vespa was faster! People on bicycles going up hill passed me. It had four "bald eagles" that did great in the snow, I don't know why. The engine had to be rebuilt at 30,000 miles. Glad they don't build'um like they use to.

REMEMBER! Tonight is Mazda Protegé Owners chat at 6:00PM PT and 9:00PM ET See ya there! All are welcome including browsers.

fowler3
  • Options
    theparallaxtheparallax Member Posts: 361
    Does anyone here know how to get the dang electrical connector off the rest of the bulb assembly? I just spent the last 15 minutes fiddling around with the two tabs I'm suppoed to press to it slides backwards, but all it does is wiggle around in the housing! I've pulled on it as hard as I can and it doesn't budge. Any suggestions?

By the way I'm giving these GE 9003 'Super Blue' Halogen lights a try...
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    pull the ends of the tabs up, it works better than pressing the tab itself. If you can, remove the bulb from the housing, THEN take the connector off of the bulb. Do 99-00 Proteges have 9003s? My 2001 uses H4s and they were a pain in the butt to replace.

My first car was a Mazda and my first NEW car is a Mazda. In between, I tried out other makes but now I am back in a Mazda again. I had two Hondas, a Ford, and a Subaru. Believe it or not, the Ford and the Subaru were the only cars without problems. I sure wish my current Mazda had the thrust that my old one had.
  • Options
    protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    I have not been very good at attending the chats, lately. Nonetheless, I WILL start making them! However, tonight I needed to here George W.'s address to Congress and the Nation at 9:00 EST. Pretty "hair raising" speech. I will pray for my family and our Country tonight. God Bless us all.

Respectfully,
    Larry
  • Options
    bondobobbondobob Member Posts: 34
    Just got this from Racing Beat via email:

Racing Beat, Inc. has received the first shipment of Protégé suspension springs for the 2001-2002 Protégé EX and LX 2.0 models. These springs share the same design specifications as the springs that were equipped on the prototype MP3 that we delivered to Mazda USA.

These springs are designed to lower the Protégé by approximately .75-inch with a spring rate increase of 27% (both front and rear). Finished with a brilliant Racing Beat Red powder-coat paint, these springs will offer the Protégé enthusiast years of handling performance.

Priced at $195.00 for a complete set, these springs are in stock and ready for immediate shipment! Complete information can be found at:

www.racingbeat.com/frprotege.htm <http://www.racingbeat.com/frprotege.htm>

Protégé 5 Springs are currently being developed and are expected to arrive later this fall.

• Options
    syd968syd968 Member Posts: 27
    Next Saturday I'll be driving a long ways to pick up a new '01 ES. Of course I want to check out the car first before I buy it. Is their anything in particular I should check for on the car? Are their any common problems on Protege's? Thanks for any input.
  • Options
    I didn't get to the chat either, I watched the president's speach. A hocky game was cancelled because fans demanded a TV station connect to the president's address. We aren't alone.

fowler3
  • Options
    is under a lot of stress right now. Anxious about the war, anxious about the failure of the airlines and the threat to the economy, and about what that portends for jobs everywhere. Confidence is shaky at best. I have had problems with friends, associates and others not replying to e-mail. There's a new worm virus wrecking havic and they are afraid to connect to the Net.

The Nimad virus does not infect Macintosh. It is a PC virus and can be fixed. Check mcafee.com

fowler3
  • Options
    I sent you a check today for the extra share for pavillion retail. Thax for making the arrangements! I can't wait to meet the folks here at Town Hall, at the Mid Atlantic Protege Picnic. BTW, I'm going to try to get the "real" Penna Dutch Birch Beer, that the local Amish folk make and bring to the Roots Farmers Market. Same with the Shoe Fly Pie, it's so cool to get the homemade stuff, the Amish families bring to market. Can you tell I'm lookin forward to the picnic! I will bring a football to toss and a ghetto blaster to play CD's. Please invite the attendees to bring their favorite tunes.

Respectfully,
    Larry
  • Options
    pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    do a detailed inspection of your new Protege. Especially, check the body and paint. Make sure there are no swirl marks or nicks. I have heard stories of bonehead detailers using buffers to detail new cars.

Take your ES for a test drive. Check for pulling at high speeds, vibration, acceleration, braking, etc.

Check out the interior...power windows, locks, climate control, CD player, lights, moonroof etc.

Don't sign for your Protege until you are completely satisfied. It amazes me how many new car buyers don't inspect their new car. They complain later...." there swirl marks on my newcar" or " my new car pulls to the right" etc.

Protege's are awesome cars and most new owners are very happy and haven't experienced problems.

Two weeks ago, I drove 100 miles to pick up my new LX 2.0 and made sure my car was perfect.

Good luck!
    Pete
  • Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    They're interchangeable.
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I e-mailed someone who had a 2000 1.8 engine for sale on EBay, and it turns out he is doing the J-Spec engine swap of an engine he got from Corksport. I told him about the discussion group and some details about the MAPP II, also gave him your e-mail address, Meade. I hope he comes, because it will be interesting to talk with someone who did the swap of the engine. He said it's costing him about $3000 total, and the engine came from a wrecked Sport 20 AWD that had 1700 miles on it. Can't wait for the MAPP now. :)
  • Options
    I went to NTB Tire Center, today. I had the sales guy check out the tire wear/tread life on my OME Bridgestone's. He checked, with his tire gauge and found the Bridgestones' are at 6/32's. He said, new tires start with 10/32's of tread. Tires with 2/32's pass Penna. State Inspection. My OME Bridgestones have 28,000 miles on them now, he felt they are good for 10,000 to 12,000 miles yet. Is it possible, that my Bridgestones' Potenzas will last 40,000 miles? I've got to say; after taking a REAL close look today, they seem in real good shape. I rotated the tires every 6,000 miles (every other oil change) and I do a lot of straight-line highway driving.

BTW, NTB Tire Center recommends the Michelin XGT V4's and they carry them in the 195/55-15 size. NTB will match TIRERACK.COM's installed(everything needed to go) price of $153.31 per tire and add in the free tire rotation program.

Respectfully,
    Larry
  • Options
    chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    if I jump to 205/55/15 size tire, does it void my warranty?
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. Congradulations on getting your new protege! I hope my experience is as good as yours.
  • Options
    Are you the one who was looking for a ES 5sp? Are you making the trip up here to MN? Which dealer are you going to?
  • Options
    I'm driving up to Minneapolis next friday/saturday. I found an ES w/5 speed and Premium Package at Morries Mazda just like you said.
  • Options
    Have a nice road trip. I was just there the other day and they have an OVERFLOW lot with MORE Proteges. I talked to one of the service people and they said that they sell the most Proteges in the midwest including Chicago area dealers. What color? Have you negotiated a price? Do they still have 0% financing?
  • Options
    I'm driving up to Minneapolis next friday/saturday. I found an ES w/5 speed and Premium Package at Morries Mazda just like you said.
  • Options
    I've already negotiated a price and agreed to purchase it as long as it checks out ok. It's an Emarld Mica ES w/Premium Package, Color Keyed Mirrors, and 6 Disc In-Dash CD Player. It has five miles on the odometer. The 0% financing is still in effect and I've been approved for it. I'll be leaving home late friday night and will get at the dealership around 10 am to get the car. I'll drive home on sunday. Do you know of any hotels near Morries Mazda?
  • Options
    Next week is going to be a long week for you. Where are you in Illinois? Need to find a hotel? There's tons of em in the western suburbs, take your pick. Morries Mazda is off of highway 394 which is the main highway that connects the western suburbs to downtown Minneapolis. Try using a search engine for the cities of Minnetonka and Golden Valley they are all close to 394. You'll be close to Lake Minnetonka too, I suggest you get a map and do some zoom zooming through the lake. Yes, through the lake. You'll have to look at a map to see what I mean. The lake is huge and full of bays. Take 394 west, it turns into highway 12, then take 15 west until it turns into shorline drive which will take you through the lake. The corners and scenery are awesome, just don't fly off the road into the lake.
  • Options
    theparallaxtheparallax Member Posts: 361
    I finally got both bulbs installed...thanks newcar31 for the advice...I did what you said and then used a flathead screwdriver to help pry the old bulbs from the connector. They were stuck on GOOD. I don't know if they were supposed to be like that or what, but oh well I finally got them off!

The new bulbs make visibility nicer at night. The beam is projected more out in front of the car and the light is very whitish, in fact the yellow center lines now look faded from the light beam. High beams work well too. These bulbs were only $10 a piece at Wal-Mart too. If anyone's interested they are GE Super Blue Halogen 9003SB/BP [HB2] type bulbs. The only blue I can see in them is the reflection in the headlight housing...other than that the beam is totally white.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. I'll have to see some scenery and drive through the lake. I live in Springfield, Il; I estimate that I have a 9 hour drive.
  • Options
    I looked at the pictures of the european 626/capella that you posted on the 626 board. Is it just me, or does the side profile, specifically the C-pillars and rear window look EXACTLY like the Protege sitting in my garage right now?
  • Options
    My 01 Protegé LX 2.0 has 3400 miles on it in 5 months, that works out to 8,160 miles in a year.
    Be a long time before I think about tires. ;)

Mostly suburb driving. But that's up 2500 miles from what I was driving.

fowler3
  • Options
    mattlee2002mattlee2002 Member Posts: 8
    I'm looking into getting the Mazda Protege MP3. I would appreciate any comments about it and also, will the insurance be much higher then the Protege ES?
  • Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    The Capella (which was never sold in the US) is a narrow version of the 626.
  • Options
    I wish, I could keep the miles on my Protege as low as yours!

-Larry
  • Options
    pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    Yesterday, I went to my local Mazda dealer, to purchase a hood deflector, and they had approx. 20 2002 Proteges. Not much change except for the 2.0 standard on all trim levels. Also, a 3 spoke steering wheel and the Protege name badge is different, I like the old badge better, JMO.

They still have the alloy and moonroof discount, but no 0% for 48.

The base prices on the DX and LX have increased. You have to pay for the larger engine. I saw a 02 DX, lightly equiped for $15,200.

Pete
  • Options
    bondobobbondobob Member Posts: 34
    Couple of things about the Protege MP3, Mattlee...I have had mine since July 22nd and now have 5700 miles on it (!). I have owned and driven a lot of cars in my life, but love the MP3 most of all. Years ago, I came very close to buying a ex-race Datsun 510 owned by Butch Leitzinger down in State College, PA (where his family owns or owned a Nissan dealership). The car had been repainted purple but still had the race motor, roll cage and seats. It flew. The MP3 is very close to the feel of that car, but without multiple carbs to bog at low revs. I love it. The only complaint I really have is about the 45 series Dunlops and the Racing Hart wheels. Living in the NY area, I have to replace the right front Dunlop SP9000 Sport ($166 US) due to running over a gap in the blacktop where the road crew had laid in a pipe or somesuch, blacktopped the hole, but left a two inch space to put the final road surface the next day. No warning, no signs. I hit it at maybe 15 mph and have a nice bubble in the tire's sidewall.

Insurance? No problem. My insurance company (State Farm) sees my MP3 as a regular Protege ES model.
  • Options
    eeterpeeterp Member Posts: 33
    I'm the guy vocus Emailed about the engine swap. My car is at the shop right now. The FS-ZE engine should be there tomorrow. So, I should have my Pro with engine and new alarm by this weekend. Zoom Zoom!
  • Options
    I e-mailed someone on EBay that was selling a 1.8 engine from the 2000 Protege ES model, and was switching to the 170-hp engine. I told him he would be welcomed here warmly, because no one had ever done anything like that. Hopefully he will also be able to make the MAPP II, and would definitely have the most interesting vehicle there.
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Read this:

http://www.auto.com/industry/iwirg22_20010922.htm

Looks like we can all breathe easier about the next-generation Protege!

Meade

• Options
    I will be sending out a MAPP II e-mail update to all participants in a few hours.

Anyone who's interested in the second-annual Mid-Atlantic Protege Picnic on Saturday, October 6, please drop me an e-mail at: mdaffron@the-rma.org

Paul, your friend from a few posts ago e-mailed me on Sunday. I sent him all the MAPP II information this morning. That ups our total by another Protege owner! Sounds like he'll be the "NHRA" member of our little get-together.

MAPP II = 12 DAYS!

Larry -- have you found a hotel yet? E-mail me!

Meade
  • Options
    I could attend MAPP. I really would like to meet everyone especially the dude with the J-spec engine.
  • Options
    With my annual mileage it would take 12.5 years for me to put 100k on my Pro. Long before that time I'm sure it would be traded.

fowler3
  • Options
    jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    Those 1.8L, 2.0L, and 2.3L I4 Duratec engines will be shared by both the Focus and Protege (1.8L for European and Asian markets, 2.0L base engine in North America, 2.3L upgrade engine in North America), 626 replacement (2.3L base engine, 3.0L Duratec V6 upgrade engine), Tribute/Escape (2.3L base engine, 3.0L Duratec V6 upgrade engine), Mazda Truck (B-series name gone replaced by Mazda Truck, 2.3L base engine), and will probably form the basis to replace the Miata's aging BP-series engine (if not replaced with a low-power (200hp) version of the RENESIS rotary). Basically, Mazda's engine line-up will consist of the 1.8L Duratec I4, 2.0L Duratec I4, 2.3L Duratec I4, 3.0L Duratec V6, and the 1.3L RENESIS rotary. Mazda's S-VT (Sequential Valve Timing) will be fitted to high-power versions of the engines. The only other engines would be the truck engines from Ford.

Welcome eeterp!
    Are you from Virginia? I was just wondering if you were the one featured on ProtegeTech.com. If so, cool car!! I love the way that Sport 20 body kit looks on it!! The FS-ZE engine should be quite a welcome addition!! What else do you plan on doing to your little blue wonder? MazdaSpeed cams? Turbo? Please let us know!! Good luck with your engine swap!!
  • Options
    jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    Yesterday, I gave my '99 ES a good, throrough, 7.5 hour detailing! Everything from the interior through the engine compartment was thoroughly cleaned and detailed. The exterior got cleaned, polished, and waxed!! It looks absolutely wonderful and I am still surprised at how many heads it turns. Luckily for me, Classic Red Protege's are not very abundant around here, and when polished up, it is quite blinding in the sun and contrasts extremely well with the tinted windows and shiny alloys. So what's the occasion? The car is sitting out in the parking lot right now with an odometer reading of 49,996 miles. It will turn 50,000 on the way home tonight and it will be bye-bye warranty!

I am vowing that it will still look this good when the odometer reads 150,000 miles!! I know I keep talking about trading it in, but I keep buying other stuff (tonight a top-of-the-line iMac and a Playstation 2). The Protege has been quite well-behaved lately and even the new tires have developed more grip over the past two weeks so I am happier with them and they look great (now only if they would develop more initial turn-in response...). OK, I guess I am now entering the Love portion of my Love/Hate relationship...
  • Options
    Keep pickin' daisies, Jerry!

Sheesh! I guess I'm glad your pendulum has swung back the other way for now at least!

I just rolled over 26,000 on my 2000 ES I bought last May. So let's see here ... I'm putting on 1,625 miles a month, so I'll be at 50,000 by ... December 2002. I'll hit 100,000 miles at 61 months of ownership, which is great ... I have the 7-year, 100,000-mile warranty ... so I don't have to worry about paying for any unforeseen problems until my monthly payments are gone!

Now that mileage is not an issue, Jerry, jump in that car and come to MAPP II!

Meade
  • Options
    mdaffron, I never received the info on MAPP II. Could you please try re-sending it (eeterp@hotmail.com). Thanks.

Just to clairify, I'm Jeremy Thomas; from VA but, I go to school in MD and I'm putting the fs-ze in this week. The blue sport 20 converted sedan belongs to Jeremy Dehart, who is also from VA. He's a friend of mine and I'll try to get him to go to MAPP II.

Both Jeremy Dehart and I plan on getting the mazdaspeed flywheel and exhaust cam (corksport is waiting to receive the parts from mazdaspeed). It's my understanding that the exhaust cam adds 15hp to the fs-ze. zoom zoom :) We're also waiting for corksport to finish the ECU for the fs-ze.
  • Options
    Hope you and your buddy can both come to the picnic. It would be way cool if you could join us in our celebration of Protegeism. :) I went to the picnic last year, and it was a blast to be had. Can't wait until this year to be able to go again.
  • Options
    The e-mail's off. If you didn't get it, let me know. Jeremy, welcome! I hope to meet you and the other Jeremy at MAPP II!!!

So far we have 8 -- possibly nine -- Proteges and about a dozen people coming. This is really going to eclipse last year's 5 Proteges! Time to try the wide-angle capabilities of my digital camera!

ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM!!!

Meade
  • Options
    norcannorcan Member Posts: 72
    My rear brakes made a gruff, rubbing noise this morning. The car had been parked for a couple of days, it rained quite a bit during that time. The noise went away after I stopped a few times. I have an '01 ES, so disc brakes all around with alloy wheels. I noticed the noise last time it rained, too. I park on a cement driveway.
    Please advise, anything wrong?
  • Options
    Quite normal. Your brake disks will actually glaze over with a fine layer of rust if you don't drive it and it rains. The first few applications will wear the glaze off and you'll hear a scrubbing sound. Seen it on my 2000 ES several times.

Meade
  • Options
    CAREFUL ZOOM ZOOMING THIS AFTERNOON!

This clip from our local NWS office:

SEVERE WEATHER OUTLOOK
    NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WAKEFIELD VA 1105 AM EDT MON SEP 24 2001

THERE IS A RISK OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT ACROSS NORTH CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA...CENTRAL AND SOUTH CENTRAL VIRGINIA...AND PORTIONS OF THE LOWER MARYLAND EASTERN SHORE...AND EASTERN VIRGINIA WEST OF THE CHESAPEAKE BAY...
    * THREAT AREA...CENTRAL AND SOUTH CENTRAL VIRGINIA...INCLUDING RICHMOND AND THE TRI-CITIES...EMPORIA...AND FARMVILLE...AND THE NORTHERN NECK...
    * SKY WARN SPOTTER ACTIVATION MAY BE NEEDED THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING.
    * SEVERE WEATHER THREAT...60 TO 70 MPH WIND GUSTS ASSOCIATED WITH SQUALL LINE THUNDERSTORMS. 3/4 INCH DIAMETER HAIL IS ALSO POSSIBLE. IN ADDITION...HEAVY RAINFALL FROM THE SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS MAY RESULT IN LOCALIZED FLASH FLOODING...MAINLY IN URBAN AREAS AND IN LOW LYING LOCATIONS NEAR CREEKS AND STREAMS.
    * TIME OF SEVERE WEATHER THREAT...4 PM UNTIL MIDNIGHT TONIGHT.
    STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO OR YOUR LOCAL MEDIA FOR FURTHER DETAILS OR UPDATES.

You guys north and east of me (I'm in Richmond) should check whatever place you check for weather reports. This one looks like a real bad one. Our local radar shows a LOT of red and yellow coming our way. There's a tornado watch for D.C. through 8 p.m. as well. Be careful out there!

Meade
  • Options
    The weather has been poop all day here in South Central PA. Were is the sun? I guess, the severe weather, Meade is sending our way, will hit tonight! Thanks Meade! ;-)

-Larry
  • Options
    yooper53yooper53 Member Posts: 286
    I want to hear all about it after you've had a chance to put some miles on your j-spec engine.
    Everyone here knows I think the '01 Pro ES should have been offered with an optional 170 hp engine. Sigh!
  • Options
    FYI, the engine comes from a wrecked (probably rear-ended) sport 20. My fs-ze has 1700mi. So, it's not even broken in. It'll be tough to take it easy, for the break-in period, on my new toy. I'll definitely let you know how it runs this weekend. If the ECU were available, it'd be much more impressive.
  • Options
    I am just thinking how much it would cost to either supercharge or turbo the 2.0 engine... :)