Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• Options
    duh_sterduh_ster Member Posts: 102
    hey everybody,
    i was wondering how much more it costs for brake replacement of discs vs drums. in your opinion, does the braking ability of discs warrant this extra cost of replacement?
    thanx
    'duh'
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I have never heard of drums needing to be replaced on a car until it reaches pretty high mileage. But I know disc brakes have to have their pads changed every so often, and also have to have rotors machined sometimes too. The machining is like $40 a rotor, while replacing could run up to $300 a set. Pads are usually like $99 a pair. Cleaning of drums (which is common) is like $30 or so.
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    as with everything, it depends.

on a 2001 Pro:
    Rear disc: $57
    Rear pads $46

Rear Drum $55
    Rear shoes $50

Granted, once the aftermarket gets a hold of them, you'll be able to buy reman shoes for $10-15 and new pads for $25. Prices on drums and rotors

Is it worth it? I think so. Disc brakes have more grab, are less likely to fade and they should last longer as they tend to be a harder material.

:)
  • Options
    mattlee2002mattlee2002 Member Posts: 8
    Are there alot of mods available for the protege? I want a cold air intake and I want altezza lights sometime in the future if i can get my MP3 this week.
  • Options
    eeterpeeterp Member Posts: 33
    Mattlee2002, try www.nopi.com -they have the best prices for altezzas (regular and carbonfiber) I've seen.

Vocus, I read this on protegetech.com
    "I saw a Turbo W/ Nitrous Express Protege 5 @ import expo yesterday, w/ a 10,000 SOund system, he said Rx7.Com in dalls did it for like 2 1/2 - 3,000$" Maybe you could email www.Rx7.com and get a price quote for a turbo setup.

Today my school, Univ. of MD, was torn up by a tornado. I took some pictures of the huge trees split in half, the damage to buildings and cars. There were cars literally stacked on top of each other in the parking lot. There are gas leaks, and several dorms have been evacuated.

I'm relieved that my car is in the shop and not smashed in the parking lot but, overall it's a very sad day as two students tragically lost their lives while driving on campus.
  • Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    oh my god, I can't believe the tornado hit THAT close to where I used to live in (Cumberland)...

I am planning to drop by campus tomorrow to run some errands, but I wonder if I should, seeing that campus is a mess. How's the rest of the campus look?
  • Options
    I can not believe that! I work in Lanham right near the College Park UMBC campus. I am so glad I split at 5:30 on the dot today. I heard the weather was getting worse, but had no idea it was going to get that bad. God Bless those who lost their friends/family members in those cars.
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Funny, the horrible weather forked its way right around us in Richmond. All we got was some rain. No thunder, no lightning, no hail, no high winds. Sorry we sent it your way.

But hey -- I've had TWO lightning strikes and TWO insurance claims this summer. I am doggone tired of having to replace electronics! FCOL, one of the phones totaled in the second strike was a new one replaced by insurance after the first one!

And now I have a slowly-dying oak tree in the front yard that took a direct hit three weeks ago -- a nice, tall tree that leans toward the house. Tree guys say it'll need to be removed. More freakin' money, dammit!!! Thank God I have a reliable car and an extended warranty. As Forrest Gump said, "You know ... one less thing."

Meade
  • Options
    MAPP II = 11 DAYS!!!

ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM!

(Yeah zoom zoom zoom)

BTW ... Has anyone seen those commercials for the new Lexus 300 "Sport Cross"? If you haven't, it's a FIVE-DOOR Lexus. The first time I saw the commercial, which begins by showing a silver one from the front, I thought Mazda had changed the Protege5 commercial. But no -- a LEXUS WAGON!

Here's a link to a pic. Sorry it's in Russian, but I was searching for the best pic I could find -- no matter the language:

http://autoworld.agava.ru/cgi-bin/foto.cgi?Lexus_IS_CrossSport&lexus&lexis&400&20&20

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right?

Meade

• Options
    grubbs1grubbs1 Member Posts: 69
    Its been a while since anyone has posted any pictures. I'm especially interested in seeing a shot of the back of a Protege with alteeza type lights.
  • Options
  • Options
    thanks! do u know if they have intakes and stuff also?
  • Options
    How about I got a special invitation to this Mazda dealership (not the one I got my car from) to go and get door prizes and a free oil change coupon. They are calling it "Mazda Appreciation Day". And, coincidentally, it's on October 6 just like the picnic. How cool is that? :) It starts at 8am, so I guess I will be getting up early and driving there, then leaving from there and heading to the picnic. Anything for a free oil change. :)
  • Options
    probroprobro Member Posts: 5
    hey, i figured i'd check this board now that jeremy is a member and stuff. I got banned before for posting a link to another forum....oh well :0/.

Anyways, this is Wil from Annapolis, MD. I am the webmaster of http://groharlem.tripod.com and own a 93 LX and 92 LX

Send me info on this October 6th meet MAPP to groharlem@hotmail.com , i'd like to attend

• Options
    seminoleman92seminoleman92 Member Posts: 4
    Jeremy, it's Mike D. Just checkin to see if your engine came in today. Hopefully you get your car out by the weekend. Hit us up.

MDeHart
    94pro
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Your reply to jstanderfer, it wasn't his pendulum that swung over. LOL!

Jerry, how's that new iMac doing? I started to get an iMac, but decided on a G4 instead, it has 700MB
    of memory. On here, I'm still using an old PowerMac 7300.

By the way, that tornado watch for DC hit the University of Maryland yesterday, two people killed.

fowler3
  • Options
    This afternoon I saw something go by that looked similar to the MP3, it was not the MP3 though. Painted bright yellow like the Protegé 5 and with a tall spoiler on the back, grille looked like a Mitsu's with vertical bars and a small logo at top center. Could have been the Lexus.

The problem with rushing something similar to market is -- it doesn't come close to the MP3.

fowler3
  • Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    I think you saw the new Mitsubishi Lancer, probably the OZ Rally Edition. I saw a silver regular one, decent, but nothing spectacular.
  • Options
    Hey Mike,

Actually, Dave called me up again today to see what's going on with Yellow Freight. Yesterday their people said the engine arrived in the Manasses terminal. I called today and they basically waited until the end of the day to deliver it to IPT (5:00-5:30pm). I never called Dave to see if it actually showed. I just hope it'll be ready on friday.

Also, the guy that hit me may not have insurance after all. So, under MD law I'm covered up to a $250 deductable. That means I have to pay $250 out of my pocket to fix my car eventhough HE was at fault. My insurance said they may be able to get the $250 back but, it'll take 6-8months or I can take the guy to small claims court. This is turning from bad to worse.
  • Options
    bondobobbondobob Member Posts: 34
    If you take off the filename from the URL above, there are more photos of that guys 99 Pro...including a couple of drag racing shots.

Not sure I'm so wild about the tail lights, although the carbon fibre look much better than the chrome ones. (Cheapens the Mazda by making it look like a Lexus IS300).

http://logicdesigning.com/mikelucero/images/my car/
  • Options
    I am not at liberty to discuss the details yet, but there will be a FREE GIFT for everyone who attends the second-annual Mid-Atlantic Protege Picnic on Saturday, October 6 in Northern Virginia. This is not a gimmick. The gift is valued between $15 and $20. Those who are coming have been e-mailed about it. (If you didn't get my e-mail, let me know.)

I may be allowed to post exactly what this free gift is later today or tomorrow.

But in order to receive this gift, anyone who hasn't let me know whether they're coming needs to e-mail me NO LATER THAN 8 a.m. EDT tomorrow, THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 27. (I need a week to make the order and receive the shipment.)

If you want to come, you need to e-mail me NOW at mdaffron@the-rma.org

You can still let us know you're coming after tomorrow, but you won't get the free gift!

OK, that said, no whining if you don't let us know you're coming until later than tomorrow morning!

ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM!
    (Yeah zoomzoomzoom)

Meade
  • Options
    jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    Actually, I haven't bought the iMac yet. None of the stores in San Diego have any of the 700mhz iMac SE's in stock, and even the 600mhz iMac's are in dwindling supply. I believe Apple has issued an EOL (End of Life) on the current model. I don't believe there is any new hardware upgrades for the new model, but they will all probably ship with OS 10.1 and no longer have the dual OS 9/OS X configuration.

I would love to get my hands on the Dual Processor 800mhz G4 tower with the 22" Cinema Display, but I don't have $7k sitting around or I would pay off my car. I already have a Dell PIII at home and a Mac and Wintel computer here at work. The iMac will be the entertainment computer for the living room, which is perfect with iTunes and a cable modem. It will be a G3 700mhz with 256MB and 60GB HDD.
  • Options
    Meade
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    I just stopped at the dealer today and I saw the new 2002 Proteges. Changes: The same 3 spoke steering wheel as the P5 but without leather, same "Protege" badge as the P5 but without the "5" attached to the end, silver interior door handles and power window trim like the P5, carbon fiber lookalike surrounding the silver trim around the CD player where the shiny black used to be on the 2001 ESs, and instead of "ES 2.0L" on the fender it just says "ES". That's it. The only thing that I like better is the steering wheel. Morries Mazda here in Minneapolis also has a yellow MP3 in the showroom with a $2000 dealer markup (yeah right, who's gonna pay that?).
  • Options
    Hey bob, did u pay sticker price for ur MP3? the dealer here is saying theyre not willing to negotiate the price but i was wondering what ur experience was! thanks!
  • Options
    ONE freeking post since I posted this morning. What's going on here? Did you guys all sell your Proteges and go out and buy Sephias or something? Sheesh.
  • Options
    the_big_h: Yep, I think that's what it was, the Lancer. Nice car I suppose, but looks like a baby Gallant in front. Not very sporty -- too plain.

Jerry: Have you checked with the mail order houses?
    I've bought all my Macs (7) from MacConnection (1-800-800-2222) with great service and no sales tax. Although, shipping today may be as much as sales tax, maybe more. Macwharehouse charges $98.50 to ship an iMac. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Speaking of iMacs, and a few posts back, scooters -- I have often thought the iMac case scaled up would make a dandy hardtop scooter like the Italian Isetta. The Isetta, the whole front end looked like the screen on an iMac and opened as the door. The steering wheel tilted out of the way. The commuter car of tomorrow.

fowler3
  • Options
    Waiting for the invisible war.

fowler3
  • Options
    jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    Well, I guess if I really wanted an iMac SE, I could drive the hour and a half up to the Glendale Galleria to The Apple Store there. However, if the new iMac's are going to ship with OS 10.1 preinstalled, I think I would just rather wait for that. There are many rumors that the next revision to the iMac will be the deletion of the CRT and the use of a 15" LCD and an upgrade to the G4 processor. Heard anything about that? Perhaps I will wait... The G4 alone is worth the wait. Of course, the towers are supposed to get the G5 with speeds upwards of 1.5ghz... hmmmm...

As for Protege's... John Hine Mazda in San Diego has a Vivid Yellow and a Laser Blue MP3 in stock. They are selling them for MSRP...
  • Options
    protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    Folks, I have been too busy at work to post, sorry. At home, my wife has kept me to busy to post, yikes. Worst of all I've been driving a pig(2001 Dodge Stratus) back and forth to work for two weeks. I can't wait to get my PRO-ES back from the shop!

-Larry
  • Options
    Todd ... funny you mentioned the Sephia. A top-trim Sephia followed me most of the way home from work yesterday, trying like crazy to keep up with me in my 2000 ES 5-speed. She managed to stay on my tail on the expressway but got really pissed off when she had to go through the full-service lane at the toll plaza and I had a Smart Tag (automatic toll debit transponder).

To my surprise, she showed up beside me at a traffic light a few miles later, rolling forward little by little. This was war, but like our country in Desert Storm, it was really no contest. I left her and her little champagne-beige Sephia WAAAAYYYYYY back there. HA HA HA!!!

Larry ... I can't wait to see how your body shop did with your ES. Since we have basically the exact same car, I want to see how well they can bring it back to new again -- for future reference, in case one of Bambi's relatives finds his way to Central Virginia. Looking forward to the picnic, which brings me to ...

MAPP II UPDATE!!!

Hot off the press ...

Thanks to Wil (probro), we have THREE NEW ATTENDEES and THREE MORE PROTEGES coming!!! We are adding to our list a '93 LX 5-speed, a '94 DX and ... get ready ... an '00 Sport 20!!!

Now the total is 15 people and 11 Proteges, and I have a buddy I still haven't heard from -- if he comes, that'll be 16 people and 12 Proteges! Plus, Wil is now publicizing the picnic with a few friends of his, so we may see several more before all's said and done!

On behalf of the Mid-Atlantic Protege Picnic, I would like to take this opportunity to publicly thank Edmunds' Consumer Services Manager Jonah Brown and the rest of the staff at Edmunds for providing Edmunds T-shirts for everyone at the picnic.

Thank you Edmunds!!!

The offer still stands -- if you're interested in coming to the second-annual Mid-Atlantic Protege Picnic on Saturday, October 6, in Northern Virginia, e-mail me at mdaffron@the-rma.org for all the details. You'll be expected to bring something for the picnic, and chip in for the shelter rental fee. (It won't be much.) Larry, I'll have some change for you, my friend!

For the benefit of the newcomers, I'll be sending out ANOTHER e-mail to all attendees later this morning. One day I might be able to get some WORK done around here!

Keep zooming and smiling, and look forward to a sunny (cross your fingers) October 6!

Meade
  • Options
    There are more attendees? Looks like this year's festivities are going to be packed. Cool! :) Who brought all these people to the picnic anyway? Seems like after Jeremy entered, everyone started coming. :)

I hope my magnetic bra gets to me in time for the picnic. I also am going to have my car completely detailed and waxed before the picnic as well, so it looks nice and shiny for its appearance.

I e-mailed someone on EBay about a Protege5 exhaust that's said to add 10hp to the engine, but they said it's only for the P5 and one for the 2.0 engine would cost $200 and be special order. I am thinking about it though... :)

On another note, I have been scouting for a car for my dad (who is getting his license at 55 for the first time), and was thinking about a second Protege. A DX would be a great fit for him, especially in 2002 with the 2.0 engine std. He likes my car alot, and I might just be able to talk him into it. Anyway, I can't seem to find another car that has everything he needs but the Protege. Sounds like when I was shopping for mine earlier this year. :)
  • Options
    Are any prices published for the 2002 Proteges yet, besides the P5? I mean the sedans? Let me know. Thanks.
  • Options
    A magnetic bra? Therapy for having too much estrogen? What's up with that?

Just kidding, friend! (But hey -- you didn't say the bra was for your CAR!)

We can thank Wil (probro) for the influx of new attendees. He's talking up the picnic with some Protege enthusiasts he knows.

MAPP II -- 9 DAYS! ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM!
    (Yeah zoomzoomzoom)

Meade
  • Options
    a Mazda dealer who's only about three miles from the site of MAPP II. I have asked them if they'd be interested in sending a tech guy to talk to us about our cars, or, if that's not possible, some brochures or something. I'll probably stop by the dealership on the way in and see if I can't snarf up some Protege and P5 brochures.

Meade
  • Options
    Very funny. You know the bra was for my car, funny face. :) Too bad my windshield banner won't get here in time to display it at the MAPP. Oh well, can't have everything I guess. :)

I can't wait until the MAPP now. It promises to be a really cool event this year. I am definitely going to get my car fully detailed for it now. :)

Meade, mayve we could get some media coverage (newspaper I mean) from the Washington Post automotive section. What do you think?
  • Options
    Let me know if you know a fax number etc. Jonah e-mailed me the Edmunds logo, and I have a Mazda logo already. I've got a nice press release template here that I use at work; it'll be really easy to modify it with the logos. If you can get a fax number, I'll do a press release and fax it up there. (And of course, I'll post a copy of the PR here.)

Meade
  • Options
    I got the voice mail of their Automotive Reporter, Warren Brown. I left him a full message with all the details, and asked for a reply to my work phone or e-mail. We'll see what happens!

Meade
  • Options
    The Richmond Times-Dispatch and the Fredericksburg Free-Lance Star. We'll see!

Meade
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    if you are still looking for a muffler...order the part number I posted ealier from your local dealer. It's the same unit that comes on the MP3 and it should cost about $220. I know I'd rather buy from a dealer than off of e-bay if the prices are comparable.

:)
  • Options
    Thanks. The person on EBay told me you only have to remove 2 clamps to replace the muffler and it gives you 10 horsepower. Is that true?
  • Options
    I doubt it gives you that much power. Anyway, I just got the November issue of Car and Driver. They test the MP3 against the Nissan Sentra Spec V, VW Jetta 1.8T, Dodge Neon R/T, and the Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS, and guess who wins? THE MP3, despite the obvious disadvantage of power. I think that says a lot about this car and its says a lot about the chassis in general.
  • Options
    That is cool about the MP3 winning. I am glad it did, it deserves to. I wonder how much HP the new exhaust would give though? Just curious. Also, there is a turbo kit in the making for the 2.0 engine as well. I am thinking about laying out the extra $2500 and getting it, but have to see how my finances will look when it's slated to come out this coming November. I wonder how much HP/torque that would give the 2.0? And can you just imagine what a "sleeper" that would make the ES 2.0? :)
  • Options
    groharlemgroharlem Member Posts: 59
    Whoa, i got my old name back!! I was able to re-register under my usual name :).

This is wil...AKA probro, or firstgenprotege. that is pretty much all the names i go by.

So far, i have like one other confirmed person coming. I'm gonna call Steve Charles later to see if he really is gonna make it.

Me, Jeremy, and Jeremy Dehart are all from the protegetech yahoo group. Unfortunately, we are pretty much the only people in the VA/DC area that check that board. There are a few people in VA. I'll post a message on that board to have them email you meade ;). Might get a couple more atendees :P!!!
  • Options
    BTW: do we have any MP3 owners attending? that would rule!!
  • Options
    But I feel lucky that we've got first-generation Proteges, third-generation Proteges and Protege5s coming. I don't think we have any second-genners coming, but there's still time!

Last year all we had were five third-generation Proteges: a '99 DX (we don't say whose) and four 2000s. At least we'll have some variety this year!

Maltb, a question for ya ... Paul told me that the 2001s with a rear spoiler don't have the "dead" third brake light housing in the rear window. My 2000 ES came with the factory spoiler but still has a non-functional third brake light assembly on the rear parcel shelf. (Actually it does work -- all you have to do is snap it off and plug the connector back in, and then you have FOUR brake lights, LOL!) My question ... I could just remove the assembly on the parcel shelf, but it would leave a few holes there. Was the 2001 ES parcel shelf redesigned without the holes, or is there a "plug" for those holes that they're using? If so, can I order one for my 2000 so I can remove the third light housing? I hope you understand what I'm asking ... thanks!

Meade
  • Options
    God, one more idiot today and I am going to lose it! :) I called the parts dept. at my dealership and asked them about the MP3 muffler. The guy in the parts dept. told me he never even HEARD OF or saw an MP3. What a moron! Some people, I tell ya! Ugh.
  • Options
    I know of two second gens in the area

Santiago, who lives in VA somewhere
    Oliver, who lives in silverspring MD

Hopefully they will see my invitations on the yahoo group :).

I know there are more in VA, but i don't know their names :0/
  • Options
    Uh....no offense, but i think that mp3 muffler is UGLY!!! You should look into just getting a bosal or borla one. They look nicer, and give the same gains, and sound and cost like half what the racing beat's would