Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford '99 Super Duty Delivery Issues

191011121315»

Comments

• Options
    BrutusBrutus Member Posts: 1,113
    Even if the 5.4 gets a little better mpg running empty, it will almost certainly get worse mpg than the V-10 when you are towing your trailer. The engine will have to work too hard. The only figures I've heard where the V-8 exceeds the mpg of the V-10 is running empty. Even then, the gain has been minimal. MPG figures for the V-10 with the 3.73 appear to be about 11.5 city and 14 highway. On highway trips with my 92 F-250 with the 351 V-8, the best I ever did was 14-15. Remember, the difference in 2mpg is only about $250 per year.
  • Options
    dennis4dennis4 Member Posts: 47
    I have the V10 auto with 3.73ls and I believe I am getting better mileage than I ever did with my 86 Bronco 351w, and having more fun too. It's nice to know that for as long as I own the truck, I will NEVER be short of power.
  • Options
    nate4nate4 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks KEH4x4, Brutus, and Dennis4. Wow, you guys are quick. You confirm my suspicions, just needed to hear it from those with experience. As the good book says, 'Out of the mouth of 2 or 3 witnesses shall every fact be confirmed." Thanks!
  • Options
    pasobility1pasobility1 Member Posts: 12
    Help. I am being told by my dealership that the lowering kit is only to be used on duallys. Does any one have accurate information that I can trust. They also won't pay for the lowering and say it will take it out of warrenty.
  • Options
    f150manf150man Member Posts: 42
    My dealer came back from vacation today to inform me that my Super Duty is built and is scheduled to unload at Ramp 48 Selkirk NY this Wed. If not for the holiday I would be confident of getting it this week.... but who knows what the truck carriers are doing over the holiday(s).
    For those trying to gauge their own delivery prospects here are the dates relative to my order.
    Truck ordered 8.29.98
    Order pulled on 10.22.97
    Due at dealer 11.27.98 to 11.30.98
    Total time approx 9 weeks.
    F250 SD CC Lariat Short Bed PS Diesel
    Guess I better go out into the garden and dig up some of them soup cans and get some cash ready to pay the man:-)
  • Options
    vanman73vanman73 Member Posts: 3
    Picked-up F250 SD XLT Supercab long bed PS Diesel, Sat. 11/22/98.
    Truck ordered 9/6/98, priority 20. Delivery in just over 10 weeks. Drove truck from Mass. dealer to home in CT. Truck drives & rides nice.
    Will be used to tow 10,000lb. fifth wheel.
  • Options
    cowpokescowpokes Member Posts: 33
    Hello Folks,
    It has been very interesting and informative to read all the posts over the past two months, while waiting for my truck. I have learned a lot.
    I now have a VIN #, so my truck is now scheduled. But I have a question, is there a way to use the VIN and make sure the truck is outfitted the way I want. I ran the number through the Lemon line and it came with the major components correct but there is not any specifics like axle ratios etc.
    any help appreciated
  • Options
    To be assured your order is correct just ask your dealer to print out his screen display of the order he entered for you. He should have done this to cover his butt and have you OK the order as it exists in the computer. It will show all the neat details.
    Good Luck....
  • Options
    ddorffddorff Member Posts: 8
    Learned today that our order was pulled yesterday, 11/24 (4 wks) and is due at dealer on 1/4 (9 wks), but "could" be earlier. Ordered on 10/26 a 99 F250, CC, SB, XLT, 4x4, V10, 3.73ls(so far), Auto, TT, Hitch, Slider, Dp Wdgwd/Silver (wife's choice, mine was Lt Prairie Tan), Denim. Dlr says I've probably got about a week to make any changes, but it's a grey area in determining exactly when the cutoff date will be. (Still considering the 4.30ls). --Dick.
  • Options
    pasobility1pasobility1 Member Posts: 12
    I answered my own question with literature from Ford. They do provide the parts for lowerin and they will cover the expenses. They do reccomend that you have a heavy duty suspension in the front and rear to avoid a dip when the truck is loaded. The lowering should put the truck at two inches above the older frame, close to the old 4x4 height. I have gone ahead with a purchase of a F350 4x4 deisel, limited slip, long bed CC lariet loaded. It came into a dealer on a cancled order. I will pay 1200 over invoice and avoid the questions marks of the wait and have it right away. Thank so much for all of your input. That makes my 1995 F250 extended cab diesel with 45k immediately available. Intrested?
  • Options
    Dealer called today and said truck was ready. I picked it up after work...... and I can assure you all ...while the pain of waiting is still fresh on my mind..... if you know you want a Super Duty, it is worth whatever the wait may be. The Crew Cab, two tone, Lariat, 2WD is a beautiful rig. I will run it from Connecticut to Marlblehead on Turkey day and give it a shake down cruise. The diesel sounds real nice too!
    More later.
  • Options
    I picked up some literature and prices on extended warranty while at the dealer. Ford will let you buy anywhere from one to three extra years of warranty on top of the 3 yr factory warranty.... for a maximum of six years. Also, there is a milage option where you can extend the warranty from 36k anywhere out to 100k miles. There are two plans... one basic and the other ExtraCare. You have to read the literature to see what the coverages are... but anyone planning to hold onto these rigs a while may find this a good investment. They are also transferable if you do sell the truck.
    Just keep in mind that Ford wants out after 6yrs or 100,000 miles.
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Just 6/100? That sounds pretty lame - I have a 7/100 Chrysler plan on my Dodge Ram, and they offer 7/150 on certain vehicles.
  • Options
    bunkskibunkski Member Posts: 10
    got the following when I went to read the article you referenced on nov 17 concerning daimler chrysler:
    "Not Found
    The requested object does not exist on this server. The link you followed is either outdated, inaccurate, or the server has been instructed not to let you have it. Please inform the site administrator of the referring page."
  • Options
    Unfortunately, it's a newspaper site, and the articles don't stay more than a week or so.

I'll post it below, then hide it
  • Options
    stanfordstanford Member Posts: 606
    kcram:

That's a 6/100 bumper to bumper warranty option. Personally, I got the 4/75 and I'll still hit the mileage before the years.
  • Options
    I had a Ford ESP 4/75 on my last F150 - thought that would have been plenty. Hit that 75K in 2 1/2 years... so now, I go for the max. I don't drive as much now - my Ram is 2 1/2 and only has 40K, but the nice thing with the Chrysler plans (maybe Ford does this too) is, the roadside assistance is also extended from 3/36 to whatever plan length you buy, so I also have US/Canada road service for 7/100. THAT is probably more handy than what parts of the vehicle are covered.
  • Options
    singer4singer4 Member Posts: 43
    Stanford.....got a price on a F250,Ext.Cab. SW.,
    4x4, V-10, 3.73 LS, two-tone, PW, PDL,Prem.Cass/CD
    trlr.pkg., ....$28,800. $365/mo for 4yr. lease.
    Any opinions?? By the way, long bed---shorter is
    kooler---but $2500 for a PullRite hitch for our
    5th wheeler is a bit much. Any comments??
    Thanks, JB
  • Options
    hoeftrhoeftr Member Posts: 8
    Received my truck wedensday before thanksgiving.
    oredered Sept 28. That was a fairly reasonable delivery. I think it spent more time in transit then it did sitting waiting and then being built.

Thanks for all the info.

99 SD 4x4 XLT Supercab PSD
  • Options
    gobrownfishgobrownfish Member Posts: 44
    Fellows, I'm beginning to think this extended wait
    is a lot like sex: after you wait & wait it just
    becomes a hassle and you kind of get out of the
    mood. Its been 13 weeks and no build date yet.
    I had never ordered a truck before so I probably
    made a mistake loading this one up but I ordered
    exactly what I wanted. Sure looks like a company
    like FORD could handle this better. I have bought
    seven new Fords off the lot but this kind of wait
    will sure get you looking at other trucks.
    I really thought I was the saavy one getting a
    loaded truck at dealers invoice, my mistake is the
    dealership is small enough to kill me on the
    allotment numbers. I'll wait another couple of
    weeks but hate to pay someone money to treat me
    bad. Maybe someone needs to tell me again just
    how good those trucks drive or something to lift
    the spirits. I come in and read all the posts
    about every other day. Just don't have much to
    say while I'm waiting. Enjoy everybody's comments.
  • Options
    Unlike the rest of the F-trucks, the Super Duty is currently in just one plant, and with the imptroved sales, they're getting killed. The Louisville Truck plant is one of, if not the only, plant in the US running 24 hours a day, six days a week. Only labor contracts are keeping it closed on Sunday. At the current production pace, that plant will crank out almost 350,000 Super Duty F-series trucks per year. In contrast, Chrysler's 4 truck plants produce about 400,000 Rams.

In other words, the SD is a hot commodity, and Ford will give priority to dealers who move them the best. Most dealers in north Jersey whose lots I have eyeballed have 50-75 F150s, but maybe 12-18 Super Duty trucks - the smaller dealers are proportionately less. As I posted above, DaimlerChrysler is already looking into matching the Super Duty line with the next Ram. There hasn't even been a leak about the heavy GM trucks other than the Isuzu diesel, so no one knows what the General will come out with in about a year. Heck, they're still building C1500s alongside the Silverado 1500s.
  • Options
    KEH4x4KEH4x4 Member Posts: 109
    Hang in there buddy. Once you get that booger, you will be glad that you waited. These trucks are fine automobiles. Plus you are paying a LOT less than the ones on the lot. The ones on the lots around here are selling for list and above. AND you are getting a truck exactly like YOU want it. What engine are you getting?
  • Options
    mjemje Member Posts: 33
    If it makes you feel any better, I have been waiting 16 weeks. Hang in there. It sounds as if it is worth the wait.
  • Options
    lemanslemans Member Posts: 43
    Glad to see that some have received their truck. I still don't have a build date todate. Called Ford in Dearborn and the dealer. Ford says that my order is in the coputer but has not been pulled yet. Orderd on Oct. 10, 1998, the wife and I have decided if I don/t receive my truck by 2/1/99 or a build date we will cancel the order and wait for 2000 or buy something else. The one I see on the highway sure do look good.
  • Options
    jwp1jwp1 Member Posts: 7
    On 9-29 I ordered F250SD PSD 4x4 CC 156" 3:73LS auto Lariat red, this past monday I rec'd a build date of 12-21 and a VIN#, the plant shuts down for Xmas 12-23 I hope it gets out before the shutdown. Then I have no idea what the transportation situation will be thru the holidays, but I sure am getting anxious to get this beast.
  • Options
    gobrownfish: I paid a little extra and went with a dealer with no backlog on his allotments. I got my truck in 36 days. I made it clear when checking dealers that time was the single most important thing to me -- my order was pulled <1 week after it was placed. It might be worth checking around a little.
  • Options
    stanford: You said that you got your truck in 36 days. Was it a CC 4x4,PSD, Lariat Package. The dealer told me that since I loaded the truck down is what caused the delay. I have ordered every option except the wrecker, Snow Plow, and Amb. Package. The cd player was the hold up at one time. So I am interested in what type of truck and opitons you ordered.
    I am a priority 10, if others are getting their truck in a short time period, I have no problem in canceling the order and ordering somewhere else in the country. I am not confined to my area, so if I can get one in Texas, Cleveland, Chicago or wherever, I will go. Feb 1 is my dealine, then I buy something else, Dodge or Chev. No diesel in the Chev.
    I guess you can tell that I am getting upset in this wating game.
    Anothing I would like to know from those of you who have already got a truck is the price. Mine listed for over 42 grand. I loaded it with everything including the kitchen sink somewhere. I ever opted for the Class IV trailer hitch inplace of the Class III added the trailer towing package, capmer package and off road package. Is that price about right.
  • Options
    Mine is a CC DRW 4X4 Lariat LWB with the V10 (which is scarcer than the PSD from what I've heard). Every option except snowplow and HD front springs, including the CD player. Class IV hitch, everything. Not a problem. Once what you're ordering isn't on hold, you should get pulled the next Thursday IMO. If not, complain.
  • Options
    sd99sd99 Member Posts: 65
    Ordered my F250 SD with a 5.4 eng. Called the dealer back today to have the engine changed to the V10 since I don't have a build date or Vin #. I told him I wanted the extra power for snow plowing and he told me not to worry cause the new 5.4's come with 260 HP. I asked if he was sure and he said he was. Anyone else hear this or is he just to lazy to change the order? Please let me know ASAP.
  • Options
    Thanks everybody. Frustration makes a person say
    unkind things and I'm sure the wait is well worth
    the results.

Keh4X4 - I ordered the V-10 with 3.73 LS thanks to
    all the good info on the site. 4x4 Lariat loaded.

Kcram - Very good post on the efforts of Ford.
    We often get caught up in our own little world and
    forget the efforts of others. Well written.

Stanford - You have great insight. I thought I
    had covered all my bases when I ordered my truck
    and snickered at my good price. I just did not
    realize dealaers had priorities. I'm still
    learning. If I thought I could get a same truck/
    price in 36 days I would call your dealer in a
    New York minute. Thanks for your imput. Also did
    you ever get info on when the Gale Banks will have
    their V-10 package ?

MJE - Patience is indeed a virtue.. My holiday
    wish to you: May your truck be pulled tonight
    (thursday) and your truck be under the tree.

Thanks all,
    Go Brown Fish
  • Options
    casper47casper47 Member Posts: 17
    If you want the V10 make the dealer change it for you. It is only $300 list over the V8. About $260 invoice. The dealer can change anything up till Ford pulls the order. I made the mistake of ordering the smaller engine on the last new truck I ordered. It's you paying the bill. Not the dealer. Get what you want. That's why most of us opted to order instead of getting one off the lot.
    Casper47
  • Options
    casper47casper47 Member Posts: 17
    Does any of you check in on wheels.com? They have a pretty good site that keeps up on industry hold up's. Go to industry news and scroll down to Ford SD trucks to see a list of what is on commodity holds at Ford. If any thing you ordered is on the list you can count on it taking longer to get your truck.
    Just a Thought Casper47
  • Options
    mroffshoremroffshore Member Posts: 148
    Gobrownfish,

I sympathize with you and know what your going through. How would you like to have a SD come in after 14-15 weeks and it not be what you ordered. Then have to reorder and wait! I'll tell you this the reorder, way back in May took 6 weeks almost to the day it came in. Dealers do have the power to move things along and we discussed that many times. As I learned the hard way priority numbers, allocations and price over invoice all play the part on the dealer end. Well it does'nt hurt to have the sales mgr. know you personally and to owe you a little favor! HAHAHA

Hang in there, it will be worth the wait. Just make sure the dealer's end is covered. You can have orders leap frog over you and do not let anyone tell you different. The dealer does have power, more then you think. I was told by a very reliable source at my dealer ship what I just mentioned. Best of Luck !!

Mroffshore
  • Options
    trap2trap2 Member Posts: 19
    the 5.4l was the only engine available on my f350 crew shortbed with snowplow prep
  • Options
    mroffshord, it sounds like you have had one heck
    of an experience with your SD but I would have to
    be just like you, if my truck comes in not exactly
    like I ordered, then I will re-order. Speaking of
    my truck, I received a call today (friday) from
    my small town dealer and he says he is pretty sure
    my order was pulled last night but will confirm
    monday. Said if so should expect the truck on his
    lot first week in Jan. Close enough to be a nice
    Christmas present. That would make the wait about 16 to 17 weeks. I will let you know.
    The brown fish man.
  • Options
    blightblight Member Posts: 22
    lemans: I ordered my F250 XLT SC V-10 4X4 LB on the same day you did. My dealer told me today that it was picked up. I think he pushed a little to get them to pick it up (or at least that is what he told me). I was told the CD players were in short supply when we ordered it, but we wanted to wait. My dealer didn't have a VIN or a build date, but he is expecting it to be here in 3 to 5 weeks. If that is true, that would make it about 10 to 12 weeks.

sd99: Your dealer either can't read or will tell you anything to get you to shut up. My guess is the latter. According to Ford's 99 brochure in front of me, the 5.4 has 235 hp compared to 275 for the 6.8. Probably even more important, the torque for the 5.4 is 335 ft-lb compared to 410 ft-lb for the 6.8. I ordered the V-10 for all the same reasons everyone else did. More power and torque if and when I need it with very little cost in gas mileage or initial cost. Good luck.
  • Options
    The dealer said the problem with the V10's is getting them. Supposedly they are in high demand and changing the order from the 5.4 to the 6.8 will delay the building of the truck to who knows when. Trying to decide what to do. Thanks for your imput.
  • Options
    For those considering whether to wait for the long lead times on the V10.... you may want to consider the PS Diesel. I am planning to add a slide in camper to my F250 CC Super Duty... so yesterday.... to see how it would handle the weight, I went into work and loaded a 2,800 lb. skid of steel onto the bed. Yes the springs sagged a little...(but still had some travel left).
    But more important, during the test drive, I noticed the Diesel engine acted as if the additional weight wasn't even there!! Along with super power you get milage in the 17-21 mpg range. Ford also gives you dual batteries. I am not sure I will ever have a gas engine again.
    Oh yea.... my dealer offers free oil and filter changes for life on V8's, but not on diesel. I asked him about this and a day later he called back and said he would do every other oil and filter change for free! I pay for one, he pays for one. So don't let the cost of maintenance keep you away from a diesel.
  • Options
    BrutusBrutus Member Posts: 1,113
    The diesel is the more powerful, but make sure you crunch your numbers when it comes to your GVWR. The diesel weighs 740 pounds more than the V-10, so your payload is reduced by an equal amount. The available payload on a F-350 PSD SRW 4x4 is 2,254 pounds. Ford factors in 150 pounds per available seat. If you back out four of the passengers, the payload is still under 3,000. The extra 740 pounds of payload you get with the gas engine could be the difference between staying under the GVWR and exceeding it.

At the same time, alot of people with slide-in campers and SRW are obviously over the GVWR. You can probably eliminate the sag with airbags aka airlift and/or Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks.

If you have a battery in the camper and long enough cables, you essentially have two batteries.
  • Options
    blight: looks like the wait is almost over. My delear called me this morning 12/08/98 and said that my order had been pulled and my truck should be here by 1/11/99 if not sooner.
  • Options
    The last 10 days will be the worst period of the long wait. After having the truck for a week, you forget all about ever having to wait. You will not be disappointed with the Super Duty.
    Good luck.
  • Options
    mjemje Member Posts: 33
    I wouldn't let the long lead time on the V10 scare you away if you want it. Depending on what other options you get, you will probably wait the same amount of time for the V8 or PSD. I ordered the V8 and am at 16 weeks and counting. My advice is
    order what you want. You don't want to be disappointed after waiting any amount of time by getting less than what you really want.
  • Options
    This is a very entertaining topic list filled with good info.I heard today my build date is 1/14/99 with delivery around the 1st of Feb. Ordered the truck on 11/1/98. Considering the factory will be shut down for 2 weeks, that's not too bad. Thanks to all for the good tips and info, and I will continue to follow this topic. Thanks again.
  • Options
    ruzruz Member Posts: 59
    This topic is getting long, so I'm going to freeze it. You can continue discussing the Ford Super Dutys in topic #463, Ford Super Duty.
  • Options
    mroffshoremroffshore Member Posts: 148
    checksix,

Thanks for the info on the hitch!

Mroffshore
This discussion has been closed.