Options

Mazda Protege Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• Options
    th83th83 Member Posts: 164
    Would a CAI make a difference in an automatic-equipped car? The reason I ask, it seems that for many cars, AEM only makes a CAI for the MT version and the Short Ram for the AT version. Is there something about automatic cars that limits the benefits of a CAI? Does anyone have a CAI in an automatic Protege? Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Tom
  • Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    is because the automatic transmission is so big that it blocks the AEM pipe from going all the way down there, hence only a short ram is available for auto.

Injen CAI, since they use the wheelwell to get cold air, does not have this problem.

and yes, CAI would make just as much difference on a AT as on a MT.
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Since you can use more of the powerband on a manual, I would say that the net effect would be greater on a MT. IMO of course.
  • Options
    the engine will get the same gains, but AT will have higher drivetrain loss than MT, thus it will put less power on the ground :(
  • Options
    chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    try using alloy wheels with very little weight....would give u significant gain at the wheel.
  • Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Cast alloys can be heavier than steel wheels (as mine are) since they add more material to compensate for possible air bubbles in the cast aluminum material.

Machined wheels are machined from compressed blocks (ingots, billets, whatever they call them). Forged is similar. They squeeze a block that starts out smaller than the finished wheel until they get it mostly into shape. Then they machine away the excess. Either way, the mfr doesn't have to worry about air bubbles causing the wheels to fail, so they cut it closer (pun intended).

Forged or machined cost more than cast, but weigh less, sometimes considerably so. I got my cast alloys for the looks and easy cleanability (very smoothly-rounded edges and corners). :)
  • Options
    Assuming relatively uniform distribution of mass, will equal less rotational inertia and translational inertia, which means your powertrain needs less effort to get them moving, and your brakes require less effort to stop them. Your suspension also responds more quickly to imperfections in the road due to the lower translational inertia (and while small, there's also less of the "precession" effect due to knocking a rotating object's axis of rotation off...kind of like trying to push over a gyroscope). Usually, the mass of the tire, wheel and other parts that are on the "road" side of the suspension is referred to as "unsprung weight." Geez, yet another term to confuse people.
  • Options
    paddler1paddler1 Member Posts: 6
    I see lots of queries on KN filters. The KN in my 93 Pro is going on 9 yrs old. Two cleanings and oilings a year. More than paid for itself. Performance difference? You'll notice the engine revs a little freer and a bit more low rpm torque. Nothing dramatic but you can feel it. Also KN's have a hard rubber frame. There can be some air leakage. Just line the top and bottom of frame with 1/8 in. closed cell weather strip for a good seal.
    Now for the question of the day: I've tried various types of spark plugs in my Pro. The best performance I've gotten are from Bosch Platinums. I've tried Splitfires, AC Rapidfires, and the multiple electrode Bosch Platinums and each affected the performance the same way: A big dead spot in the mid-range most noticable when trying to pass at highway speeds (3000 Rpm range). I've noticed the same affect on my motorcycles. The standard Platinums work best. Can anyone explain why the more exotic designs do this?
  • Options
    aponbondhuaponbondhu Member Posts: 2
    Fellow Protege Owners:

I need some help on getting a cassette player for my 2001 Protege LX 2.0. I already have the CD player and radio, just need to add the cassette player. My dealer is quoting $250! Is there any place I can get a better price? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Hasib..
  • Options
    I think the trouble with sticking in a non-stock casette player would be that the slot that is available in the dash is a weird shape. I'm not sure if you can get an adapter kit or not.

I've never looked into getting a cassette player, so I'm not too sure on any details.
  • Options
    try this site out

http://www.crutchfield.com

They provide complete details and live installation instructions, too!!

• Options
    aponbondhuaponbondhu Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the site chikoo. There a bunch of cassette players that are supposedly 'EZ fit' for the Protege 2001. But as protege_fan was mentioning, how do I make sure that the deck interface is properly accessible through the space between the two big knobs? Do I need to get a faceplate from the dealer to fit that trapezoid-like space between the knobs or will it just be open?

Thanks again for the info!
  • Options
    narenjinarenji Member Posts: 161
    I'm interested in boosting the performance and sound of my fiancee's 01 Protege ES also.. I see that AEM makes a pretty good CAI for the 2.0L, but how about exhaust? Has anybody here attempted to improve the exhaust system? Those pipes in the back seem very small and restrictive- some hp is to be gained there as well, I think.
  • Options
    go check out http://www.protegeclub.com/forum, there are a lot of discussion about exhaust systems available for the 3rd gen Proteges there. Currently the most popular cat-back systems are from Bosal, Borla, and Racing Beat. Mazda makes a Mazdaspeed muffler for the Protege/Protege5 as well.

do a search at protegeclub, you should find A LOT of useful information on this topic, as it has been exhaustively(is this even a word?) discussed there.
  • Options
    narenjinarenji Member Posts: 161
    IFAIK, those cassette players on the Crutchfield site will replace your factory CD deck completely. Mazda's Cassette deck is a modular unit that fits under the display unit, without taking out the CD deck. I believe the CD changer is added the same way, but up top.
  • Options
    boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    I imagine you will really appreciate that tint in TX! I am certainly missing it in NC on my Miata, but I want to wait until I get my hardtop before I tint. Good luck on the roof rack.
  • Options
    dagpotterdagpotter Member Posts: 71
    My neighbor has a really neat "Zoom Zoom" sticker on there 2001 MPV. Any idea where I can get one. I get the impression the dealer put it on.
  • Options
    They should have a stack of them.
  • Options
    My 2001 Pro ES is starting to show significant tire wear at 14,000 miles. I expect to have to replace the tires by the end of the year. Has anyone else seen this type of wear on the Dunlop SP Sport 5000m?

Also, in looking at my replacement options, these are the models I am considering in the OEM replacement size:

Dunlop SP Sport 9000
    Dunlop SP Sport FM901
    Kumho ECSTA Supra 712
    Toyo Proxes T1-S

My options in plus zero size are these:

Dunlop SP Sport 9000
    Dunlop SP Sport FM901
    Kumho ECSTA Supra 712
    Pirelli PZero System Asimmetrico
    Sumitomo HTR Z II
    Yokohama Parada Spec-2
    Toyo Proxes T1-S

Any opinions concerning any of these tires and plus sizing would be appreciated.
  • Options
    Try this site:

http://www.mazdadiscountparts.com/

They will quote you a discounted price on the cassette player that fits in your existing head unit.

• Options
    SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    At close to 19k miles, my Dunlop SP5000's are wearing fine and I expect to get at least another 10k - 15k out of them.

They are great tires IMO. They ride reasonably quietly and handle well in the wet and the dry.

What is the Plus Zero size? I would like to get something a touch wider if possible but on the same rim and certainly no lower then the current 50-series us. I'm at my comfort/rim safety limit with the crappy VT roads I drive.

Is it 205/45/16? The 45 would be equal to the current 50 though... right?

I run 195/55/15 Arctic Alpins on 15" steel wheels in winter btw.
  • Options
    Plus zero for the 2001 ES would be 205/45R16. There would be a slight change in odometer/speedometer reading. The speedo would be 1.7% too fast. Here is a good site for calculating tire sizes:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

• Options
    alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    I wonder how mazdadiscountparts.com is able to undersell Mazda dealers? Seems strange doesn't it?

Re tires: I just noticed that Pep Boys are advertising Futura GLS tires in Protege compatible sizes (P205/50-15 as an example, S&T speed rated) with 50,000 mile tread warranty. Does anyone have further info on this make?
  • Options
    They are really a Mazda dealer, somewhere in Ohio I think. They just offer near dealer cost on internet orders. Mazda probably offers volume kick backs on parts sales, just like they do on vehicle sales. I got a pair of $250 Kenwood speakers (a la MP3) from them for $132.80. The local Mazda dealer quoted me about $170.
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Mazda probably offers volume kick backs on parts sales

On selected items only if you can verify that the parts were sold wholesale. Internet orders are not considered wholesale.
  • Options
    tomcivilettitomciviletti Member Posts: 207
    I don't think most of the tires listed are superior to the dunlop 5000 in significant ways, though I'm not familiar with the parada or p zero. The fm901's are very new. Not much info available. How about bridgestone s-03 or 730 gen2?
  • Options
    Tom,

They just aren't available in any size I would consider buying. I would have to get new rims to get Bridgestones. That said, I think they are both good options.
  • Options
    rxxlrxxl Member Posts: 1
    hello from ny! and pleasure to meet you all. i guess congratulations are in order, as i have become the proud poppa of a 2002 protege lx (on the fifth of this month). my first ever new car (though trust me, i won't bore you with the details of that search. lol). she is black with the beige interior (not many selections to choose from on the lx, much less as an automatic on the lot. i worry the seats are SO light, if you even fart in them it'll leave a mark), power windows, locks, moonroof w/gaurd, cruise, cd/cassette, keyless entry, 5 star stock alloys w/ portenzas (i have seen some of you rip on these tires. are they really crappy? what should i expect, or not, from them?). i'm paying just a touch under $16,000 w/ 0% financing for the whole term. all in all i think i did ok. what do you all think? of course i am already seeking and pondering all types of things i can do to it to add a little personality and presence to her. nothing too big, as i am too old to be tricking her out like some teenie. the thought of clear corners of course has been kicked around, a light-mid tint job, some of those headlamp bulbs that shine kinda light, light blue (like a lexus i think), maybe the light up, hood mounted washer fluid sprayers, a drop in air filter (drop in for now anyway), and maybe any other somewhat simple retoolings to boost the hp a little bit more (as we all know that is a consistent enough complaint about the pro). anyway, you guys are really gonna have to hold my hand for a little while by giving me any and all opinions, info, and/or concerns about the ideas and whatnot i have mentioned above. some posts i have read, or started to, but 600someodd posts are just too difficult to weed through in any timely manner to get the answers. so if possible i'd like to start from scratch (without being a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] i hope). some ???'s i have are: clear corners - the debate between legalities or not still goes on i see. is it worth it? coming from a guy who was pulled over simply because he had a slightly tinted license plate cover, cops WILL look for ANYTHING. i definitely worry, but want as well. would tinkering under the hood or even with other aspects of the car mess with my warranty at all? "if you didn't alter such and such, this other such and such wouldn't have broken. we won't honor it'. do they even MAKE a cool replacement shifter for an automatic w/overdrive? or maybe a comfy seat cover that fits specifically protege thrones? i have been on a number of websites , but worry that all these things i see are would not truly be fitting a protege. even some of the sites you can be make/model specific seem sketchy. how can you really tell? are the chrome racer style pedals worth it? with the snow here i imagine if i didn't put the original ones back on, forget my foot NOT slipping off right? what are nice ones to possibly look for? the armrest suuucks, compared to my pontiac gp turbo. that thing had a couch arm for christs sake (i'll miss the electro lumbar supports, and heads up display). any info on one of those self dimming or tinted(?) rear view mirrors? how do those rain guards that go along the tops of the window/door look on a protege? like overkill? hell i could go on foreeeever, as you can see. but i need answers and insight. with evrything from the IDEAS (though surely not original)i have mentioned above, to the questions as well. names of things, places to look. online AND off (as i am not much of an online shopper). so PLEASE get at me, as i check in on my new family here often. thanks for the time. and HELP! R.
  • Options
    FYI: The 2001 ES comes with 16x6 wheels. That means a 195 series tire is the widest one can safely mount on them.
  • Options
    Clear corner lenses are OK, IF you put yellow-tinted bulbs in them so they still blink yellow.

Chrome pedals: they get messed up. Why bother? If you go for metal pedals anyway, make sure they have rubber inserts so your feet don't slip off them when they're wet.

Easy upgrades: stock speakers, if stereo upgrades are your thing.

The stock tires are poor in the rain or snow. Look for new tires when you get the dough.

Strut tower brace to stiffen up the front end. There's the MP3/P5 one and a few others (Mazdaspeed etc.) that fit.

Big_H just put on the sport exhaust. Looks nice. Shame it's under the car. :)
  • Options
    conheadyconheady Member Posts: 77
    Will the Mazda Stuff Strut Bar fit on the 99ES with cruise?
  • Options
    Maybe it's OK if someone besides the owner/moderator places the link?
  • Options
    theparallaxtheparallax Member Posts: 361
    Yes, it will fit as long as you have the correct cruise control bracket from the Protege5. The part number is BN5W-66-3AY. If you're ordering from MazdaStuff.com, INSIST THEY INCLUDE THAT BRACKET, and not the incorrect one like what has happened to me and the_big_h. I'm currently waiting on my bracket to come in the mail.
  • Options
    conheadyconheady Member Posts: 77
    Thanks. I placed an order and put in the notes to makes sure that part was included.
  • Options
    protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    Good morning Andrew, congratulations on your new 2002 PRO-LX and welcome to the Mazda Protégé Owners topics! What color did you pick for your new 'tege'? Please check in on the main Protégé Sedan topic here at Edmunds Town Hall. Many of the regulars there have made minor mods to customize their beloved Protégés. Of course the Mazda Protégé Owners: Accessories & Modifications topic is the perfect place to discuss mods however, it does not get the same traffic as the sedan board.

Andrew, if you like to real time chat, we have set up a site at Yahoo. The Protégé owners whom had chatted at Edmunds Town Hall (Edmunds shut down their chats for financial reasons) now meet and chat Tuesday's at 12:00 pm to 1:00 pm and Thursday's at 8:30pm to whenever at Yahoo. Here is the link. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mazdaprotege/
    Enjoy your new Protégé and post at Town Hall often; we are one of the most frequented boards at Edmunds! Andrew, from what I can tell from your first post, you will fit right in!

Respectfully,
    Larry

• Options
    OEM Mazda Strut Tower Bar:

• Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    How did you mount your coolant bottle. I noticed that most of the guys at the West coast meet with cold air intakes didn't mount their worth shi...beans. also does your intake move much when you rev?
  • Options
    Clean too. Mark of an owner who loves his car. Of course, the car is very lovable. :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments guys.

maltb:
    Bascially all I did was reposition the bracket and used one screw to mount it to an empty hole a little forward of where it used to be. It's slightly wobbly, but I don't think it's going to be going anywhere. The instructions for my intake said I had to drill a hole in the bracket, but since I don't have one I had to improvise.

Mazdafun:
    Thanks. I try to spray down the engine bay with at least water every time I wash the car. It's been a while since I took the time to detail everything and degrease everything down. I need to do that again some day...
  • Options
    I haven't cleaned my engine bay since last summer, and it's been over a month since I last washed my car. Bad owner, bad bad bad! :)
  • Options
    Over a month since you last washed it? In the summer?

Slap on the wrist for you!! :D

PF-The Cleaning [non-permissible content removed]
  • Options
    casper12casper12 Member Posts: 1
    I work for a major rental car company and one of my many perks is being able to enjoy a free weekly rotation of car use. Most recently I drove a loaded Protege5 w/ the sport shift auto. This car rocked! I am looking to purchase one in blue mica color. I want to know if there are any companies who specialize in bumping up the horsepower to at least Sentra SE-R Spec-V territory (175). Also want a significant bump in torque. Want to avoid the lame "rice-rocket" sounding exhaust that is popular on many "tuned" cars. Thanks - Joseph.
  • Options
    Well, you could get a Japanese spec engine. It is good for about 170hp. Try these guys:

http://www.corksport.com/

If you need to pass emissions testing, then you may want to wait for the Mazdaspeed parts, coming soon to a Mazda dealer near you.

• Options
    ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    Crutchfield (and a couple of other 'configurable' 'chooser-enabled' websites) insist that only some 6x9 speakers will fit in my 95 Pro. There are numerous cheaper and rather good speakers available online, and I don't know what would prevent those from fitting too.

As far as I can tell - the following parameters may matter - did I get them right?

1. Installation depth (measured from speaker rim to bottom of magnet?)
    2. Protrusion depth (height) (measured above speaker rim? height the tweeter/s and HF drivers protrude above the rim?)
    3. Magnet size - usually listed in terms of weight (10 oz all the way to 44 oz for some audiobahns - can't even afford those!). Is this likely to matter? I believe the speakers are bottom mounting, so the magnet size shouldn't make a diff!

Also, same point goes for speaker depth. As for protrusion into deck above, I could do away with the factory grills
    attached to the rear deck felt, and just screw on the speaker grills (most speakers come with them) from above, right?

So why would crutchfield list around 40 6x9 speakers, and say only their most expensive 6 will fit? And - can I go
    ahead and buy any 6x9 speakers (that I like and can afford) and put them in there?

Oh, and I'm not afraid of rewiring or soldering, etc, so if that's the only issue (available mounting kits/plugs) then I
    couldn't care less!
  • Options
    kaiserheadkaiserhead Member Posts: 166
    Has anyone had there Pro rust-proofed? The other Pro in my family had an after-market module installed which "charges" the metal to prevent rusting from ocurring. After three Canadian winters the car still looks great compared to others the same age and model. Has anyone heard of this module or know where I can find some information on it?
  • Options
    tomcivilettitomciviletti Member Posts: 207
    If you are willing to modify the rear speaker installation, then I think the most important spec would be the speaker efficiency. If you don't intend to add an amplifier, get high efficiency units [90db/watt or higher]. Of course it's always good to listen first if you can find a demo somewhere.
  • Options
    justdriftingjustdrifting Member Posts: 18
    Hello,

I'm looking for a better horn for my 2000 ES. It doesn't have to shake the Earth, but it's gotta be better than this wimpy noise that the current horn makes.

Anyone got any suggestions? Would this void my warranty?

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    You can try your local auto parts store or the JCWhitney catalog.
  • Options
    why the hell did Mazda not give 2 buttons(left & right)?
    it is so much easy to honk using your thumb, still holding onto the steering.
  • Options
    Better than trying to punch the center. I can just about get my thumbs onto the air bag cover to honk the horn in my '99. I prefer the buttons on my '89 for honking (more control too, so a gentle "wake-up" toot isn't an obnoxious honk).

Somebody probably thought the current design is safer. Hey, why not provide both thumb buttons and a center smack-pad and cover both bases?

Oh well, my vote's with the thumb buttons on the wheel spokes.
This discussion has been closed.