Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura CL

Comments

• bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I don't think there is any way you can tell by the VIN #, or build date, whether you may have a bad tranny. Honda offered the extended warranty on certain model years. I got it for my 2001 CL-S, but I'm not sure if the '02's were included.
  • rick27513rick27513 Member Posts: 29
    '01 Type-S is getting 20-22mpg around town (and that's not pampering it either) and 29-30 consistently on the highway. Something is odd/wrong with only 14mpg, especially if you are keeping it in D5. I have noticed a big decrease if I leave the tranny in D4 or shift manually.

Speaking of tranny, 54k miles and still no problems, BUT... I'm noticing a shudder/shake occasionally when it shifts into 3rd gear. Ever heard of that being a start of tranny failure??
  • mgrossermgrosser Member Posts: 1
    Unfortunatley, that sounds like the start of my tranny failure. My '01 Type-S has 46K and I am on my second transmission, which just got recalled and will be in the shop next week. It is in the process of burning out second gear. DEFINITELY bring your car in and be insistent. It took the dealer 3 times to diagnose my intial problem - not entirely their fault as the beginning of the problem was fairly subtle, as you are finding. Good luck!
  • peterdh2000peterdh2000 Member Posts: 54
    Had tranny recall done on the '02 CL-P a couple weeks ago, they installed the oil jet kit (had 27,500 miles), had the 30k service done early. Also, they replaced the driver's window regulator under warranty, which fixed the noises mentioned above. said they hadn't replaced many trannies...maybe/maybe not.

Had a very "well loved" 02/30k RSX as loaner (had to have regulator shipped in overnite). service guy looked at me like i had 2 heads when i asked if they had any TL or TSX loaners. but, overall pleasant experience at acura of seattle.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    This may sound like a strange request. I am considering a used CL but don't have easy access to one (closest Acura dealer is about 100 miles away). With my current 4 door cars, I can easily open the doors for entry/exit while the cars are in the garage. I'm concerned that with a two door car with much wider doors, that might be difficult. I would appreciate if someone could measure the door width for me. Thanks.
  • peterdh2000peterdh2000 Member Posts: 54
    53.5 inches
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Thanks Peter.
  • alko1alko1 Member Posts: 9
    I'm curious about a buzz that occurs for about a half second when my '03 CL-S is put into gear the first time after start-up. It seems like some electrical component is "re setting". My '02 TL-S did the same thing.
  • ibmindlessibmindless Member Posts: 62
    I believe that's the VSC - Vehicle Stability Control (or whatever their term for anti-skid is). Fear not, all cars (at least the ones I've driven) with electronic anti-skid controls make the same noise. I further believe it's a self-test routine.
    I haven't heard the buzz in either my TL, or the CL-S previous to it, both equipped with VSA.
  • dfilicedfilice Member Posts: 6
    I know this message is late, since you posted last year, but to answer your question about CL transmissions, Acura gave all CL-S models a transmission warranty until 100K miles. It covers all of the latest body style cars ('00 or '01 was first year?). I received the notice from Acura.
    Hey, better late than never! :)
  • gary_williamgary_william Member Posts: 52
    I have been in a Honda for years, first with an Accord and later with a CR-v which my wife now drives. Today I finally splurged and got my "used dream car", an '01 CL type S. Yay for me, I am very happy. Ask me tomorrow, though, when the payments start to hit. Anyway, here in California I managed to get it for $17k +++, which is under KBB wholesale, and in between NADA average retail and private party sale. I probably could have done better, but I am happy so I guess that is all that matters, no? Now I just gotta save up for that "new dream car", the RL!
  • bluebeastbluebeast Member Posts: 258
    A 97 CL, 2.2, Automatic came up for sale, orig. owner, 105K miles, timing belt, tune up & new tires @ 103K miles. No leaks, great condition, any problems w/this year/make/model that anyone cares to comment on? I intend on using it for my daughters car, not for myself, so I do not need a hot rod, just dependable & safe.
    Has anyone experienced a sticky gas pedal? I have an '01 S, and very frequently the gas pedal feels slightly stuck after coming to a stop. When I try to pull away smoothly from a stop sign or red light, it takes more foot pressure to get past the initial 'stuck' idle, causing the car to jerk or lunge forward. It doesn't do it when parked and looking under the hood!
  • scottmsimpsonscottmsimpson Member Posts: 66
    I have a 99 2.3 CL 5 speed that we bought new. No real problems with it at all. Had to replace the rear muffler recently, and the tires.
    I have heard of some issues with the automatic transmissions, but mostly on 3.0 V6's.
    The steering wheel radio buttons don't work on our car when the wheel is straight. They only work when the wheel is turned. That's the only real problem with our car. We get 26+ mpg commuting, on regular 87 fuel.
  • jlally1jlally1 Member Posts: 8
    I just bought a 97 CL 2.2 with 79K on it. I have heard a few opinions concerning when to replace the timing belt and water pump. The one dealer here says 105K. The book says 90K or 72 months. The car was treated with kid gloves by its former owner. Any Ideas or thoughts? Thanks in advance
  • drcitrusdrcitrus Member Posts: 7
    Mileage is one consideration; age, heat, and driver's style are others. The belt is well past the 72 months, and when the it goes, you don't.

Change it at a time of your choosing--not when it finally decides to leave you stranded. .
  • matty_pmatty_p Member Posts: 1
    sukinsyn:

Dude, you are lucky. I am an owner of a 2001 CL Type S (which I really love), however, today I nearly crashed as my car (with my Mom inside) shifted from fifth at about 65 to second (I think). I actually felt the seatbelt - hard. This is my second transmission (first was replaced at 30,590) and I have 50K now. This is not good. I limped home (in second, I think - 5.5K revs was kicking in the rev limiter at 55 mph) and pushed my ACURA (i had no reverse) into my garage. I will get this serviced, but I gotta tell ya, this is really sad. The transmission will be covered under warranty blah, blah, blah but I bought Acura/Honda for RELIABILITY. The transmission is the bane of this model (imho). :cry:
  • jonny2gojonny2go Member Posts: 1
    I traded my '95 Maxima GL (I miss Max!) for my 2001 CL which I purchased NEW August 2000 and was really happy!! Great looking car and the price for everything I got was well worth it. A few thousand miles later things started going wrong. The transmission(23,000), seat sensors(36,000), and then the fuel injectors(51,000). The transmission,which by the way, I had been arguing with them about when I first noticed the car shifting like it couldn't make up its mind what to do.... Then I got the recall notice, took it in, had it "repaired" at no cost to me and the transmission is still creeping me out. Had heard good things about Honda and their dependability. Think I'll beg Nissan to forgive me... :sick:
  • dungargeedungargee Member Posts: 2
    I was in the market for a 01 CL and reading through all these forums has kinda scared me away from it to be honest. Still want to get one but feel skeptical about it. Anyone out there that'll vouch for it? BTW the one i'm thinking about has 48K
    The second series has auto transmission issues. Go for the first series (97-99), with the 4 cyl and 5 speed, they are indestructible.
    We have 80,000 trouble free miles on our 99 2.3 CL. Biggest expense was replacing the exhaust.
  • dungargeedungargee Member Posts: 2
    i was thinking about a 98 3.0 CL but the ride wasnt as nice as the 2001-03. The newer model had a real ice feel to it. and to be honest i think the 97-99 CL is quite ugly, sad too say looks do matter..................

BTW are there any people out there that actually have a good 100K or more miles on their 2001-03 CL that have had no problems with them at all?? i mean without the usual things like oil changes, tuneups, belts/hoses, etc.......
  • capril76capril76 Member Posts: 1
    Have an 01 cl, purchased late June of 2000, have 121,500 miles on it - trans replaced once (I think at about 87,000), recalled after that and now i think the 2nd one is going...I love my car, but this is big...this isn't like a broken armrest or something...I'd shy away...

My dealer told me the first one went due to an ECU issue, and that the recall was because it got too hot so they installed a jet sprayer of some kind...any truth?? also, they told me the replacement was only covered until 100,000 miles on the car, regardless of when it was replaced...has anyone heard differently?
  • kvogelkvogel Member Posts: 1
    The seat in my recently purchased 1999 3.0 CL is causing tightness and cramping in legs (mainly hamstrings and thighs). I’ve adjusted the seat to every position possible (I think) and have used various back and seat supports, all to no avail.
    Anyone have similar issues and/or thoughts on possible remedies?
  • mikekoshimikekoshi Member Posts: 1
    Just back from a trip up and down an extremely curvy mountain rd in Southern California, and my 01 CL-Type S experienced a very strange stutter both heading up and down--the sensation was as though it ran over a bunch of sticks or logs--it seemed to lose traction very briefly, twice in a row. We were going about 40. I haven't felt this in any other conditions, wet or dry, and am at a loss to reproduce it for the service people.. Any ideas, folks?
  • dukehoopsdukehoops Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone know how many sundance gold cls coupes were made in 2001 model year (the only year that color was offered)?

thanks
    ps. I own one with 85k miles on it (57k of those mine) and so far no problems.
  • norm1962norm1962 Member Posts: 1
    I need to remove my radio to connect a Parrot Bluetooth receiver behind it. Can anyone direct me on how to remove the trim necessary to remove the radio? Is there perhaps a website or a book that I can purchase to guide me...I don't want to damage the radio or any of the trim if I can avoid it.

Your reply is appreciated.

Regard.................N
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    about 33,600 on my 02 CL(Base) that I bought in 2001 September. Its still on the original tranny. I know somebody at this place I used to work at and that person had an 02 TL(Base) and the tranny blew at 71K. Anyway no major problems mechanically with my car. Heard a tire blow a month ago and I had to buy a new tire. It blew up right was I was coming onto the Interstate. Thank god I was not on the interstate going 65 mph in traffic. I remember hitting a curb a week earlier. That was my fault for the tire.

Rigyt now I am having an issue with the fuses. Some of the lights are on on the dashboard. Again my fault. I work a job where I have to sit in my car for the whole time and it was 100 degrees out a couple of moths ago so I get a car fan to keep me cool. Well the car fan blew out my fuse. My Dad tried to fix the fuses because the fuses for the radio were blown out. I am ready to go for inspection but he can;t get the lights off the dash.

Finally, I got the little jet kit installed in the tranny. The guy at the Acura dealer said the tranny was fine but they also said that with the person that I knew that had the 02 TL.
  • tallstevetallsteve Member Posts: 1
    Im not sure what to do with my 2.2 at this point. I have 198k on the car. The transmission was rebuilt about 20k miles ago. That cost me $1500. I had the transmission pulled again about 2k miles ago because something in the differential failed. That cost me another $500.00. Now, the transmission is making a buzzing sound, sort of like a dry bad bearing. It sometimes growls when placed into reverse as well, especially when it is warmed up. I havent been to the dealership yet, only a certified Acura mechanic. Any suggestions? I like the car and would drive it anywhere except for the transmission issue. I understand that Acura has had very little problems with the 97 2.2 auto. :mad:
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    I got the problem with the fuses fixed and I passed inspection. I took it to the dealer that I bought the car from and it was the last day of the warranty. Still no problems. I did take the car on a trip from New Jersey to Baltimore, Maryland and then Baltimore, Maryland to Ocean City, Maryland and then back to Jersey again about 5 months ago. The car did not beat me up in anyway and I didn't feel tired in anyway.
  • rhyan141rhyan141 Member Posts: 1
    how to replace front signal lights on my acura cl 2001? pls...... anyone help me on this?? thanks ........
  • unclericounclerico Member Posts: 1
    Is the reason people are getting rid of their pre-100K CL's because they don't want to get saddled with a possible 4K transmission job after the extended warranty expires? I've seen an '01 CL for sale that had two unsuccessful attempts at solving the shifting problem. A "re-engineered" tranny was finally used with good results and the car is still under warranty for another 10K. Is there anyone with a similar experience who now enjoys trouble free post 100K bliss?
  • marco_thomasmarco_thomas Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: I have a 96 aurora oldsmobile and it wont start. I tried jumping it with a car, and it wouldn't start. I got a jumper 1000 from an autozone and it start right up? What could this be? also I took it to the shop yesterday for them to charge up the battery and it still wont start. I'm figuring they disconnected the battery from the car, and now my system in my car is going crazy. My speedomter stays at 140 when I start it, and my gears is jumping around like crazy. Could this be becasue of the disconnection. Is there something I can do to fix this.
  • whowhuwhowhu Member Posts: 2
    Greetings:

I've never owned one of these sleds. Today I looked at a 1 owner from someone I know. He said the car has a reving problem. Started it up and yup, strange.

When starting the car, it revs from 1100 - 1400 RPM. It just kind of bounces as if it had an electrical short.
    The check engine lite is on and the car has 124 K miles. When driving the car around it does not rev, lurch or stall. Seems to drive ok just a little on the pokey side. When pulling over the side of the road,the motor just bounces the tach. Any body have this problem and a fix?

I sure would like to know.

Who whu
  • whowhuwhowhu Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever figure this out?
    I just looked at a car today with a very similar problem. Sounds like this may be a known issue. Wud du ya think?

WhoWhu
  • powerhouseclspowerhousecls Member Posts: 2
    Try Looking at the O2 sensor, it sounds like your car is trying to figure out how rich or lean to run.
  • powerhouseclspowerhousecls Member Posts: 2
    My Engine blew a hole in piston #2 and I think it was because of my supercharger so my dealer says and I need a new engine block or a complete engine. Does anyone know where to pick up a engine block or a whole motor for a good price? Any help or point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

P.S. I would aslo be willing to have a high performance motor built that could handle a supercharger with about 10 pounds of boost.
    Our 99 2.3CL is approaching 90k, when it is advised to change the timing belt. Stopped at the dealer the other day, and they quoted $810 to do this. Other recommended items due at 90k take it up to $1300! Ouch.
    There is a good independent place near my work, I will be checking with them soon.
    Any others had this work done? Mind sharing what it cost?
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ...6 speed....

..in the showroom in 2003.

..seemed like a nice car.

picked up a brochure or two (and somehow an Accord Coupe 6M brochure was included)....

..found the AV6 6M bro last summer...

..guess what's in my garage now?

..ez..
  • iriemoniriemon Member Posts: 4
    I am contemplating buying a 2003 CL-Type S w/ about 45k miles. The postings in this forum are making me think twice. I love the car...but do not want to be paying for a mistake for the next 3 years. The VIN is out of the range on the Acura extended warranty. Is the transmission issue a widesrpead problem or only on a minority of CL's? Any advice or insight??? Thanks!!
  • kbinsbkbinsb Member Posts: 3
    YES, The tranny is a serious problem. I am having my 01 CL-S towed to the dealer tomorrow am for its 4th tranny!
    The first one went at 49k, then the
    rebuild they installed failed immediately(before I left the dealer). Then the next failure occured at 75k and now at 96k I am getting another. It is all under warranty as I am the original owner, but not very happy. The car has been totally dealer serviced, and I presume that by now they have solved this issue. I am going to ask for an extended warranty. I'll sell you mine after it is all spiffed up.
  • jdw62305jdw62305 Member Posts: 1
    My CL just started doing the exact same thing. A mechanic said to check for vacuum leak, and I checked the vacuum lines, all look good (visual). Did you ever figure out the problem, another mechanic said the throttle body gasket may be bad.

Thanks,

Jeff
  • happyhybridhappyhybrid Member Posts: 4
    I owned a 2003 CL-S w/ 6-spd manual. I put about 40k miles on it over 3 years, and recently traded it for a Honda Hybrid. The Acura was great, and had no problems during the time I owned it. I would recommend it for anybody who wants a comfortable sports coupe that provides strong, refined performance at any speed, who doesn't need a lot of back seat space, and who doesn't do a lot of snowy-weather driving.

I don't know about the transmission problems-- I assume this is with the automatic? Also, keep in mind the CL-S needs premium fuel for optimum performance.
  • zed421vzed421v Member Posts: 28
    My wife has a 2001 CL with 13,500 miles. The car is in excellent shape. We are looking for a new car. We are finding the CL has no trade in value. The dealers are aware of the existing transmission problems, and claim the car is hard to resell. I have no problems with the car, but am wondering if I should sell it before extended trans warranty expires. Any opinions would be appreciated.
  • blownsaveblownsave Member Posts: 1
    hi
    i am looking at a 01 cl-s for sale too, and have the same transmission concern you do. did you ever find an answer?
    thank you
    ken
    Anyone experience a problem with the gearshift being stuck in park? Pressing the brake pedal normally releases it, but I now have to manually unlock it using a key or screwdriver in that little hole next to the gearshift. I'm guessing there is a switch or selenoid not working. Any history on this... and any $$ estimate?
  • oligomeroligomer Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a used Acura CL 97 with 116,000 miles. The first and second shift feels not smooth, especially when driving in the morning when the car is cold. One technician suggests to flush transmission right away, but the other suggests not to do so until it turns to be worse, because the flush may make things worse.

Anybody here has similar problem? Any suggestions what I should do?
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    does ne think that the next gen accord will bring fourth a new cl to be built off an accord coupe and be designed to look like a tl or big csx coupe? A convertible sounds to be in the future to battle the vw eos, volvo c70 or upcoming 325ci. Honda/acura really needs a 4 seater convertible.
    Might be time to turn this site into "how much did you get for your CL ?"
    I'm considering selling my very-clean 01 type-S, silver non-Nav. What are you getting out there for yours?
This discussion has been closed.