Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently switched from a luxury sedan to a luxury SUV?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 7/25 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Acura CL

Comments

• fastdriverfastdriver Posts: 2,273
    garypen-

LOL...... NO expert, just followed Sal's directions BEFORE I used his products and read the Zaino topic here in TH and some other sites.

Since the Jag is 8 years old, I would get the clay from Sal AND his car wash so that you can use it as a lubricant for the clay. The Meguiars car wash should be okay AFTER the Zaino is on.

I would also get some Z5 for swirls and light scratches. If the scratches and swirls are more serious, you might need this http://www.mmm.com/market/automotive/product3.html

I would also get 2 bottles of Z6 because you will use that the most.

I have used the ZFX twice on my CL-S before it was available to the general public because I kept bugging Sal for a sample. Putting on 3 coats of Z2 or Z5 in one day is great. If it was still light out, I'd take a pic of my car right now, which is dirty, but doesn't look it. I last applied Zaino in November!

Of course, you'll need your 100%, white, cotton, Made in the USA towels. I also use Sal's applicators to apply the Z.

You sound like me- a skeptic. You'll see what your car looks like when you're done. The more coats, the better. The darker the color, the better the shine. Then you'll know for sure that I'm not full of bull and that my pics are real.

We probably should continue this discussion in the Zaino topic because we are way off topic here. Not that this site is active, but it's still not the place.

How come you're not doing the Z on the CL? Want to test the older car first? ;-)) Do the CL first!

Any further questions, just go to the Zaino topic. You can get there by clicking on my profile and then looking for the section that says- What I've been saying at the bottom of the pop-up window.

Hope this helps.

fastdriver
  • garypengarypen Posts: 1,483
    Wanna know why? It's because I drive the Jag. She drives the CL. She doesn't even wash it until I keep nudging her.
    I have never understood where the women-are-neater-than-men perception comes from.
    What leather products do you use on your CL? It must be tough with those perforated "S" seats. I prefer the smooth leather of the base model.
  • danny25danny25 Posts: 119
    I used Meguire's leather conditioner in my CL (see, I'm still on topic). It was definately a pain with the perforated seats, I finally had to go get an old toothbrush to brush all the conditioner out of the holes.
  • mdanielmdaniel Posts: 47
    I use Lexol on my leather. Its a 2 bottle process. One for cleaning, one for conditining. I use a bunch of terry cloth covered sponges. One to apply, one to wipe, for each step. Since I apply the Lexol directly to the sponge instead of the leather, I've never had trouble with the perforations.
    garypen-

I hear you. If she doesn't even wash the CL, then she doesn't deserve Zaino. Stick to the Jag.

As for the leather, well, I have not cleaned/treated it yet. I still have the bottles of Zaino leather treatment that I ordered in 1998! ;-)) The previous 300M had dark gray leather that showed no dirt. This tan leather interior will probably get dirty some day before I get rid of it, but so far it's okay.

When and if I ever clean it, I'll let you know about the perforated seats. Others have had no problem with this.

Looks like a nice, "warm" day here in CT. Going to wash the CL now before the rain comes tonight and get some Z on it. I'll take a pic of what it looks like right now- dirty. You'll think I already washed it! Will post Z'd pics later if I have time.

fastdriver
  • canadianclcanadiancl Posts: 1,078
    Has anyone seen the photos of the '03? With the body-colour grill and new alloys, it looks like Honda is trying to transform it (visually) into an Accord coupe. I'd have to give a new exterior makeover a thumbs down.
  • vineee1vineee1 Posts: 16
    i agree,esp. as far as the exterior.the interior changes are somewhat appealing though
    garypen-

Take a look. First few pics are before washing. The next few after washing and the last ones with one coat ZFX- NO Z6. Will label them better later.

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?m=76629165303&n=383077978

fastdriver
    You should clean and condition your leather regardless of how dirty it appears. It's important for the life of the leather.

When you say one coat of ZFX, do you mean ZFX plus Z2?

Pretty car. Exactly one month older than our silver CL.
    garypen-

Yep. ZFX and Z5. With this lighter colored interior, I did notice that it does need to be cleaned. I don't usually have the my cars long enough to worry about long term care for the leather.

fastdriver
    You'd be surprised how much better the car looks inside, if you take care of the leather and vinyl surfaces. Considering the car you take with the exterior, I'm surprised you don't spend similar attention to the interior.
    Ours is charcoal, and I thought it had a dry, ashy, dull, and lifeless look from the factory.
    Some leather conditioner on the seats and door trim, and vinyl conditioner on the dash, console, door panels, makes a huge diff.
    Is Z5 the scratch and swirl formula? I forget.
    garypen-

I know. Aside from my seat, the rest of the car stays pretty clean. I also know someone who uses Lemon Pledge on the dash and the door panels. He said that it does not give a high gloss, but does look nice and smell nice.

Have to go. I'm in a workshop on Netscape Composer and have to work on a "sample" webpage! ;-)) NO cars!

fastdriver
    Composer????? Blech. Use Dreamweaver.
    Anyone here considering trading in for an '03 6-speed?
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Posts: 956
    Oh yeah.

Take care.
    Joe W.
    Hell yeah! Seeing the dealer tomorrow.
  • Very nice. Firm ride, with some minor problems on small pavement imperfections. Great shifter & engine combination. Grabby clutch takes a little getting used to.

Make mine Aegean Blue!
    6 speed review from a stick driver (me) who can't wait to sell 01 CL-S for a 6MT.

http://www.acuraworld.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1091

Worth anteing up the dough for the 6? BTW, what's your impression of the new aluminum trim in the interior and the new alloys after having seen it up close? Is the new hand brake only for the manual or is it across the board?
    I think the 6 speed is worth it. But I regretted giving up the stick shortly after buying the CL-S two years ago. I love the CL, but missed the stick more than I expected. So for me, its worth almost anything to get it back. Especially on the CL-S.

I'm neutral on the aluminum trim. I have the bowling ball trim now. Either way is fine with me since I consider it a small detail. I didn't buy the car to stare at the trim pieces.

The hand brake is only on the manual. The autos keep the foot brake.
  • Whatever it was, I'd call it innocuous. Nothing to get excited about.
    I don't really mind the automatic in the CL-S, but I hate the gated shifter. Somehow, after almost 2 years with it, it's still not intuitive. I find it tends to get hung up during shifting and I have to look down to maneuver it. That and the SS I think are gimmicks that I could do without.
  • imac1imac1 Posts: 4
    Just heard on the net about a recent Acura Technical Service Bulletin that talks about oil leaks caused by porous engine blocks. It supposed to apply to 2001-02 CL's, 1999-02 TL's and 2001-02 MDX's. Does anyone know more or experienced any similar problems?
    That's the first I've heard of it. And with all the whiners on Acura-CL I'm sure someone would have mentioned it. I have 35000 miles on my 01 CL-S with no leaks of any kind.
    In fact, I just checked the oil yesterday, and after 6000+ KM since the last change, the level is still right at the upper hole level. So it appears it didn't lose a drop! And looks pretty clean too. What a difference from the Prelude which required a top-up every 3500 KM.

But the cleanest running engine was my '95 Maxima. There were many times when I checked the oil and it looked like it was just put in.
    13,200 miles and no oil leaks here either. One year old in 7 days! Best car ever so far!

fastdriver
    even the Civic-based Canadian-exclusive Acura EL come with a 120 watt stereo whereas the CL-S only has a 100 watt system. Doesn't seem right :(
  • bmart418bmart418 Posts: 6
    My wife has a Sundance Gold 2001 type-S. I have generally kept a pretty good coat of wax on the car. However, I notice very fine pits in the paint. Obviously not removed by a mildly abrasive cleaner wax. Has anyone seen this? Thanks.
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Posts: 956
    it's not limited to Acura. When the wax got down you may have hit a big rainstorm or stuff on the street or whatever -- pollution, acid rain especially, pits the paint, chrome, even windows with a bit more time. (The windows on my house are coated with etchings that are in the surface due to this.)

Unless you have a garage, and then I'm all wrong.

Take care.
    Joe W.
    canadiancl-

I didn't think that BOSE advertised the watts of their radios because they are all different depending on the car they were designed for?

fastdriver
This discussion has been closed.